Safe Sex Game Coming… It’s coming…

Hot Coffee it most definitely is not.

As reported by Joystiq, the University of Connecticut is soliciting proposals for a "safer sex video game."

According to UConn bid specs, the goal of the project is "to test the feasibility of using a PC-executable game (non-Flash) format to change the safe sex practices of an otherwise hard to reach group – urban emerging adults."

The University wants vendors to make the game "fun, motivating, and efficacious." That last one’s not a dirty word, by the way.

If trials are successful – and no, GP does not know where you go to volunteer – the game will be distributed "broadly." As Joystiq notes, Europeans are already ahead of us in using game tech to teach safe sex.

Proposals from game developers are due back to UConn officials in November.

jasonla says:

There was an addon for Tomb Raider that made Laura appear nude, i think that game in general having her as a sex symbol was fine now having a game about safe sex? I guess its ok but don’t see it becoming popular. Maybe if there was some realness to it a few london escorts walking the streets that you’d have to talk into having sex and pay them. But unless i see the game for now i think it’s a ridiculous ideas and not worth paying the coders to make.

Braindead1 says:

I am so glad that I went to a highschool that had its head screwed on straight and spent more time talking about how “Vampires would not be able to spread HIV’s if the bite someone after feeding on someone who has been infected”

You know those boxes where you put your questions when your too shy to ask about sex in front of the rest of the class class. That little box kept me entertained all week of Sex-Ed Class.

Yes I did actually put that question in the box. And yes, my teacher answered it with a completely straight face, pointing out that vampire digest blood, there fore they would presumably destroy the HIV virus when they feed off a humain being.

I knew I would learn something usfull in that class…

Terminator44 says:

Finally, something that will actually teach minors safe sex practices. As opposed to sex-ed classes in public high schools, which basically say: “Sex before marriage is EV1L!!!” *Sigh*

kurisu7885 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Oy. We know someone is goign to sput off saying “this game is teaching our kids tohave teh nasty secks.” If not mr moron soem religious fundie.

nightwng2000 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

How do you encourage safe sex?
    Do you make if sledgehammer obvious that that is the message you’re trying to pass on?

You do it subtly. Games with storylines include characters in relationships that choose to “take it slow”. You don’t have to batter someone over the head with it either. No preachy dialogue all the time. Maybe 1 speech in 1 game out of 10 or 15. The rest, just a quiet recognition that that is the chosen path for the characters.

Naturally, characters in a video game aren’t the only experiences kids will see. Kids learn more from watching others, a great many others, and the paths they choose.

I don’t drink or smoke. It’s kinda hard to get that across to my son because so many others around him smoke or drink. If I preach to him not to, it might actually get him more interested in doing it (opposite behaviour). He sees how other people smoking affects me physically. I think I’ve turned him off it.

We taught him to say “please” and “thank you” by doing it ourselves in front of him.

So, while kids will see sexual behaviour on TV, in movies, even video games, when there are people around them that AREN’T playing around, they do learn something from that. Sometimes, there is more on one side than the other. Parents always have to deal with that problem.

There’s really nothing wrong with a “safe sex” game. But if there is too much preaching, directly or indirectly, the child will rebel. Sublty is a better method.

NW2K Software

Maji says:

Alright, America! Jump on that hentai game bandwagon!

I don’t see this appealing to anyone except for the fourteen and under and very, very lonely male demographics.