Some Opening Day Glitches… But comments are working (we think)

Okay, we are open for business at the new GamePolitics.

It has been a hectic day here, spent dealing with a number of glitches and we’re far from done. But at least we seem to be up and running and still managed to scoop the rest of the game press on the New Mexico nonsense lawsuit.

Specifically, I can’t figure out why people weren’t able to comment, but I’ve opened the restrictions that required commenters to be logged in, since logging in seemed to be the issue. So please test out commenting…

Also need to add more of the GP content listed on the sidebar… that’s on the way.

jythie says:

Actually, I would say it looks less professional, or at least a differnt profession. It looks like the type of site that links to a newspaper and tracks comments to various newspaper articles and such. Which granted might be the right imagry for gamepolitics, to me it seems like trying to emulate hack jobs from companies trying to update their image on the ‘blogosphere’ or some such.

(also if I recall correctly, exessive whitespace was a marketing/design fad that rears it’s head now and then, so perhaps the software simply defaults to that philosphy, or newspapers tend to, who knows)

--shroomofinsanity-- says:

I agree with jythie about the lack of used space on the page. All this white space seems like a waste. Overall, the site does look more professional. I only hope that this white space issue is resolved soon.

Nayaz Trimycos

jythie says:

yay comments back. but as others have said, I’m going to miss the nesting.

Though one question. Is the site supposed to be this narrow or is there a a problem with my browser? Comments are only showing as about 60 characters across taking up only about a 3rd of the screen width making the entire site difficult to read.

C13 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Though I do prefer to have this pop up in my LJ friends page, I’ve dropped your feed into my RSS folder anyway. For anybody that wants to keep the LJ integration, I’ve created a syndication feed for the RSS feed at gamepoliticsrss.

ZippyDSMlee says:

it is rather annoying but in time you will learn to tweak it a bit more,hopefully sooner than later.

can’t wait to be disappointed with the forums 😛

oy I need to start trying to find that silver lining in life…but it keeps burning me 0-o well…that and sun light LOL

GamePolitics ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Day Two and things seem to be improving. Glad most of you are liking.

Sorry, Father Time – this is the new world order for GP…

We’ve added a plug-in that lets you Digg /Slashdot / Del.ic.ious any post just before you comment.

Also added a crappy two-click Home link, best I can do for now. Amazing no WordPress hacker has created that yet, the need is so obvious.

Father Time ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I like the old site layout better much better in fact, this site well the comments box is too restricted (now a short phrase that used to took half a line now takes 2), the text is kind small and you can’t reply to comments. Are all these things temporary?

Dachande says:

Awesome new site Dennis.

I much prefer this to having the comments on an alternate board, though I understand that it was necessary for awhile to reduce trolling.

Hope all goes well and the bugs work themselves out!

aka: Dachande18 from livejournal
    aka: Bryan St.James

Demontestament ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“Whooo! I’m supposed to be paying attention to class right now! ” – Hank the Tank

lol, I am supposed to be working right now! Woooooo!

Demontestament ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Nice Layout Dennis :).

Though I have to agree with some of the others, I am going through withdrawls without my daily dose of the Fourms. I mean how can I use my superpower and link everyone to stories on CNN if there is no fourms?

For every second they are down Jack will file another lawsuite :)

ZippyDSMlee says:

Hey GP just a thought but uld you add a link back to the home page to each page,I am getting tired of hitting the back button on firefox after I am done reading and posting a comment!

Dustin1986 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Meh, the new site looks pretty good… I guess. The new comments are nice though! I can point out Jack’s obvious faults with much more clarity now, thanks!

markdstandridge ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’ve had no trouble opening the new site on my laptop (with Windows XP Pro). However, when I try opening it in either Safari or Firefox on my Mac (Intel-based iMac), I get the old format (with no comments sections).

GamePolitics ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

yes, much tweaking to be done. I need a WordPress expert..

We’ll have to do without nested comments for now, same as Joystiq. BTW – I don’t think they are WordPress…

Forums back VERY SOON

Null says:

Some suggestions:

Maybe make the gp- banner link back to the homepage, and at least add a “main” link on the side bar. Also look into getting the get bar to work on all of the “story” pages, I don’t see it in any of them.

The multimedia page really could just use some left justifying(having them trail like that looks like a mess to me) and maybe add table boarders to clearly separate the entries(pic, description, etc).

Otherwise, things look ok for now.

MaskedPixelante ( User Karma: -1 ) says:

So, what’s being put in place to keep Jack from posting here? I’d imagine he’d be able to post whatever he wants while the commenting system is being worked on.

Dalton ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The new site looks nice.

One thing I don’t like, as compared to the old, is that how the comments no longer nest. The threads made it easier to read.

nightwng2000 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Dennis, is there a setting that causes comments to be numbered?
    It would help as newer comments are made.
    Doesn’t Joystiq use WordPress also? It seemed like when I was playing around with setting up a profile, there were a list of WordPress blogs, and Joystiq was one. And their comments are numbered.

Just curious.
    Thanks in advance.

NW2K Software

Samson Effect ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Test post.

So I’m liking the new digs, but it’s gonna take just a tiny bit of adjusting from the the nested comments of LJ.

And Cecil, I hear you, I miss the forums too.

Cecil475 says:

(but I’ve opened the restrictions that required commenters to be logged in, since logging in seemed to be the issue. So please test out commenting…)

Yeah, I had registered and everything and It looked like it was reloading the same page over and over telling me to log-in. I then read how you needed to doenload wordpress to do blog work(?) and thought I needed to download word press to add comments. I didn’t download anything. But I guess this means we wont need to.

…sigh. I miss the fourms already.

– Warren Lewis

Cecil475 says:

Testing..testing…1,2,3,4… Can you ‘hear’ me? Ok. bad choice of words. Alright. Can you read this??

Looks good. But will we eventually have to log in first? And what restrictions are in place to keep the world’s biggest troll out?

– Warren Lewis

GamePolitics ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I wanted to set this up so everyone’s first comment had to be moderated and then you’d be good to go forever after…

The login piece seems broken, though… so now you should be able to comment but you have to leave your name and e-mail (the e-mail is hidden)