Congressional Candidate’s TV Spot Promises Video Game Legislation

By way of Kotaku comes word of a campaign commercial promising video game legislation.

The office-seeker is Democrat Ed Perlmutter, who is running for a seat with Colorado’s Congressional delegation.

shadowzen says:

“Hello. I am a gamer. I played games since 3 years old. I am 16 right now and I run on the streets raping random people and shooting policemen in the face.”………
    Does that even sound right? Why dont those politicians even DO any research? A simple visit to Google and they will find out that such things are just stupid as hell. Maybe us gamers should group together and go on a holy crusade, knifing people on the streets and murdering politicians, cause that seems to be what they expect from us. They should mind what they say, else gaming companies world wide will sue them to death. And sue them after their dead. And sue their spirits.

teradon says:

It just feels like this law would be swept under our feet and inforced without reason. I’ve worked in video game sales for a few years and I’ve also checked I.D. and inforced the ESRB ratings and most often times you find the parent not caring what the kid plays. So what happens when a kid buys a game with parent consent and the government comes down on your ass instead?

Also, what about all the sales clerks who don’t know about the ESRB system? Suddenly they are getting in trouble for something they didn’t know was a problem? It’s not like we are pushing drugs to anybody, so why should we be alienated from society?

Ken Roger Lindekleiv says:

Ok, this is the second video I have seen where these two governor wannabe’s ( or whatever ) actually mentions internet predators and video games in the same sentence…

Is it just me, or is that kinda wrong thing to do ? I can just see some old woman becoming deathly afraid for her grandson since she gave him a gift certificate to a some computer game shop..

” Help, help! I have turned my joey into something awfull “

But seriously, how difficult is it to follow the ESRB rating ? Let people ID themself when they buy the games, and if they are old enough let them buy the game. And if these people then give that game to their kids that ARENT old enough, tough cookies.

Its the parents job to watch what their kids are doing. And there are worse things they can do than play dead rising.

Ken Roger Lindekleiv
    Kristiansand Norway

Alisa says:

Man I wish I lived in the UK then, the idiots here in the United States are on some video game crusade all the time. I saw this Cold Case episode the other day that pretty much attempted to blame a shooting at a mall on the fact the kids who did it played this killing spree game for ‘hours and hours’. These politicions say these things in their campaigns because the moron parents (ie: much of the United States) who don’t want to take responsibility for their kids will vote for them, and they know it.

Katsuya says:

I used to Work at Circuit City and I work at Wal-Mart and the thing is here. They are pushing in legislature to ban the sell of violent and Mature rated materials based on age. Thing is how do you even rate maturity. Sure you can deny the sell of a M rated game to a seven year old and then that lil boy or girl will run home and cry to mommy or daddy and what are they gonna do? Lie! That’s what. Momma and daddy won’t know, so I beleive in the long run it’s not only the parents job to make sure their children are not submitted to mature content. I think as employees that work in the field of selling these things that we inform the parents as well. The fact they are using this as a campaign tho sickens me. I’ve never had a problem with violent games.. I have never played a game that has made me wanna go out and kill 1k of people. I think in the long run.. children that do that have some serious issues as well… so I dunno. It’s all of us..

Inari says:

Ah, where to begin.

First, I’d like to agree with Scythe (and, for that matter, basically everyone). I grew up playing whatever games I wanted, with a broadband connection in my room, on my own computer, and, guess what? I turned out alright. Good job, and I own a car and a house. My age: 20. So, I guess those violent games didn’t affect me.

Well, that’s not true. I used to play them a lot to get over the seething rage of doing customer service when I was a teenager. When you have to deal with total morons for a living, sometimes you just need to unload a flak cannon into someone’s face at point blank. The only real question is whether it gets done in a virtual simulation, or in real life. Virtual splatter sates the bloodlust pretty well.

Sorry, ranting. The overall point, if you don’t want your kids watching, playing, or doing something, pay some attention to them. If you don’t want your kid playing violent games, then don’t buy them. I love how all the commercials like this show kids in a rental store. Nevermind that those places do make sure that you’re eighteen, or you can’t get anything R or M rated.

I say we elect an entirely new batch of politicians, but we don’t pick from the list we give them. Everyone just write in a candidate. Just pick someone you know who isn’t an idiot (hint: they aren’t running for office).

Ozzy says:

Well i live in the UK and no one cares what games we play. The government have more important things to do than watch children have fun….regardless that Dead Rising has come out and i can do hundreds of sick things..mwahaha!

you’ve got to be kidding me… i agree with what another commenter said: why cant politicians just do their jobs!?! I live in colorado, but Pearlmutter just lost MY vote…. politicians are acting like my mother did… they arent parents, their only job is to run the damn area

That Guy In Red ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

i agree with Howell2751.
    I mean kids in my high school drink and smoke as soon as they leave school. They dont really care if anyone sees them or not.

howell2751 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

i’m going to use alcohol as an example here from what one of my friends told me.

Before he turned 21 he used to drink all the time (and i mean ALOT) and the he turned 21 and he said some of the appeal for doing it was lost. ITs that part rebellous nature and probably rush for defying laws.

To be blunt and say whats already been said a million times. Legislation will not do squat to who gets what games. If anything passes that would prevent M rated games from being sold publicly, the only ones its going to affect are those with the parents that watch what their kids do anyway. The ones that don’t have the parents that care, are usually the kids that drink, smoke, ect, not saying all are like that though, but based on my experience, are the ones that are crafty enough to circumvent laws one way or another.

Think about it, if a kid can get a hold of alcohol or cigarettes or any other drug that do have solid laws preventing those things from getting to minors, whats legislation on games going to do on something far less dangerous. If they can get a hold of the above, then something like video games is going to be a cakewalk to them.

Deathtrap says:

Wow, I am officially irritated with this whole videogame thing. I live in Colorado, and if we haven’t wasted enough of the tax payers money on building a new football stadium, and a 3 year highway project that still isn’t completed, now we apparently want to pay the game industry as well for coming to town and telling our legislators that they are about as sharp as a bag of wet hair. Yeah for tax hikes. Someone help fund my move to Canada so I can flee the idiots.

Bigman-K ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Yet another Censorcrat moving to the right with an anti-Free Speech, pro-censorship political repertoir in order to gain votes from fearmongering idoits and lazy parents.

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

That’s because we already ban kids from being able to buy certain video games. But then we also ban those kids from buying certain movies and music as well. That’s because our “1st Amendment-equivalent” is “flexible” when it comes to children.

I laughed when I saw these commercials, because they play on the fears of parents, without demonstrating a basic understanding of how the internet works. “Banning” internet predators, and “helping” parents to block websites is already there. It’s illegal for an adult to solicit a child. There’s software packages that allow you to block websites and snoop on every aspect of your child’s life. Making a law about it won’t do anything, unless you fine every parent who doesn’t use the blocking software.

Vladimir ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I just don’t get how they can justify saying that they will “protect children from violent video games.” Do they think the games themselves are violent and will jump off the shelves in order to attack small children? 😀

Scythe says:

Wow, it’s a good thing I grew up with congress protecting me while I was on the net and playing Violent games…..Wait a second! They didn’t protect me I was doing whatever I wanted pretty much.

I didn’t turn out worng at least I don’t think I did. Lets see I’m 24 years old, I’m working as an I.T. Tech, I’m and elected offical in my town. I’m also in a great health relationship. So I guess that because I was protected and taken care of by my Mother and Father that I turned out as well as I did. There was now help from congress and to this day I still play Violent games and use the net, it isn’t the games or the net we need to protect our kids from it’s the people that are sick minded or satan worshipers or crazy nuts that get guns.

Let your kids play games and enjoy their childhood, just love them and stay in their lives. Don’t just let them go off and do whatever, if you can’t tell me where your kid is right now then you aren’t a very good parent. What do his/her friends do? What are their favorite things they like to do? Do they come home from school and act like you are not ever there or do they say hey mom or dad?

Be a part of your kids lives not a overlord stopping them from doing the simple things in life. If you have a kid that is under 18 then go see what games they play when they arn’t home. If you see mostly M rated games then ask yourself who bought them. Was it you or someone else?

Demontestament ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Hey did anyone else get hit with a spam guard when trying to post on the site?

Anyway I typed out a response to this add and was wondering how exactly does one actually “Protect kids from Violent Video Games?” it makes it sound like the games are some sort of evil moster who will kill your kids the first chance it gets. I am sorry but a Government offical should not be deciding what a child plays, that sound more like a job for a PARENT, no some suit looking for votes.

Broken scope ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Family comes first, right after my political career.

Also, what children is congress protecting right now. He puts alot of emphasis on “our” children for a change.

Demontestament ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Protect Kids from Violent Video Games? I didn’t know the games could attack your child? Hmm keeping a violent game out of the hands of a child doesn’t sound like a politicians job anyway….it sound more like a job a PARENT should do.

theliberal ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Hopefully the candidates running against these guys won’t do the same thing. They can say how in 8 court battles bans on violent video games have been struck down and now these dumba$$es want to waste their money on repeating it. I love politics.

Cecil475 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

(grls-r-gamers-2 Says:
    Here’s a change: stop trying to legislate the g**damn games! It’s a waste of money and time! If you’re a parent, then you should know that it’s YOUR job to watch what your kids do.)

Nah. he’s too busy trying to protect everybody elses kids.

– Warren Lewis

(edit – I keep hitting a spam filter so I’m using my other email for right now. what’s going on?)

Cecil475 says:

(grls-r-gamers-2 Says:

Nah. he’s too busy trying to protect everybody elses kids.

– Warren Lewis

grls-r-gamers-2 says:

Why am I wasting my breath? *headdesk*

Terminator44 says:

Protecting children? What happened to educating them about predators and violence in media? Do we suddenly need to encase all kids in a soundproof bubble until they reach 18?