Update on New GP Format

Okay, we’re wrapping up our first week under the new look. We’ve worked out some kinks, still have a few more to go:

• after a rocky first day, comments are obviously working. We’re not screening as we did on LJ, but a very small number of comments get sucked into a black hole for moderation. Some are obviously spam, so that’s good, but some are just normal comments. Working on that.
  • since we’re no longer screening comments, people, please read the comments policy and stick to it. It would be great if we could get a cross-section of readers from all sides reading and commenting. That’s not going to happen if the comments aren’t on-point and civil.
  • the new forums have been installed. We will be tweaking the look over the weekend. I hope to unveil them by Monday morning.
  • we will be adding content to the info pages listed at the upper right of the sidebar as Multimedia Library, Law Library, Recommended Reading and Research. If you have a file or a link that you think belongs in there, please send it along.
  • we’re listing game-related conferences now in the sidebar. If you know of one we’re missing, please send it
  • the login feature does not appear to be working properly although it apparently is not hampering posting.
  • I like our new ability to embed videos in articles, although the one in today’s game addiction story came up as "not embeddable." Not sure why, perhaps because of its 10-minute length.

Anyway, that’s all the housekeeping news for now. There will be some big stuff happening here in October, so I really want to whip the new format into shape. Please contact me with any issues or concerns about the site.

aniki21 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Re: the comments thing, WordPress does have an option where you can prevent people from posting until they’ve had one comment approved. Not ideal, but it’s a partial solution to stop spammers.

It’s under Options > Discussion, and under “Before the comment appears” check the “Comment author must have a previously approved comment” box.

Maybe you’ve tried it already, though.

Grahamr ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

+Embeddable videos are sweet

+Toolbar with categories is sweet

+Not having to make an account is sweet

-Either there’s no qoute function,or i just can’t find it.

-No avatars?! WTF?!

-The text is minascule

? why hasn’t JT trolled us yet?

hayabusa75 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I have to agree with Terminator44 on this one; all the features that he and AE mentioned are sorely missed from my end. However, there are two important things I think we all need to keep in mind.

1) The site isn’t complete yet, so let’s give Dennis a chance to finish it.

2) Gamepolitics is a free service provided to us by someone who’s not here to make a profit. If this was something we had to subscribe to and pay monthly for, I’d be the first one tossing slips into the suggestion box.

Bottom line though, I’m here for the stories and the chance to chat it up with you guys (and gals), and as long as I can still do that, I’m solid.

ZippyDSMlee says:

I don’t like this format it takes more effort to reply to posts,I am lazy tho,but I will be nice and demand only 1 thing.

Must have forums now!!! LOL

Terminator44 says:

That’s exactly what I’m talking about. One other thing you didn’t mention was the abilty to easily yank quotes from other users’ posts to use in a reply. The forums also have this abilty, which I why I advocated bringing the stories to the forums. We know it’s possible, since GP did do it for a short time. As of now, I just haven’t seen any good reason to enter the forums.

Andrew Eisen ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

GP and Terminator44,

I’m afraid we were all spoiled by the LJ comments. My favorite feature was the reply hierarchy. Each reply would be subsequently indented making it very easy to read and navigate. There was never a question as to who was replying to whom.

Also, as Terminator44 mentioned, lengthier posts were easier to read in LJ because more of the screen’s width was used. Subject headings were nice too. I never used them but a lot of posters really liked the avatars.

The ability to preview posts was quite welcome as well. I always like to make sure my HTML markups are working correctly before I post. While we couldn’t edit our LJ comments, we could delete and repost.

Andrew Eisen

Terminator44 says:

The main problem I have with this layout is that it’s much harder to reply to someone, and for them to read that reply and reply to it. This makes it almost impossible for any meaningful dialog or debate to take place. Also, the width for lines and the text are smaller, making it harder to completly read through and understand a lengthy post.

Hank the Tank ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I like this layout…

It could use a bit of work (reply/edit features, something to take up all the empty space maybe), but I like it.