Jack Thompson Announces College Debate Tour

It seems that Jack Thompson is planning a road show.

The anti-game activist is lining up a college tour, during which he promises “to debate all opponents regarding the dangers of (violent video) games and what to do about them.”

Thompson’s designated opponent will be magazine publisher Bob Guccione, Jr. (Spin, Discover). As Thompson himself writes in a press release e-mailed to GamePolitics and other media outlets:

“College student video gamers who want to see this debate should encourage their respective schools to book it, and then to attend it in their “I Hate Jack Thompson” t-shirts…”

Rather surprisingly, Thompson’s press release included a picture of one such t-shirt as well as a link to buy them – from Think Geek, no less, which is associated with Penny Arcade, a site the attorney once tried to have shut down.

For more info, see the tour promoter’s site

UPDATE: Thompson e-mails in to say that the first debate will be at California University of Pennsylvania (near Pittsburgh) on January 30th… We cannot confirm this, however.

Namrepus221 says:

ok guys. I contacted all the necessary people at Cal U conserning this whole debate thing.

1. Individuals at Student Association Inc. who are in charge of booking events like these. They have heard nothing, have not been contacted by anyone assocated with Jack (his management agency, or himself) about this event taking place at all.

2. Contacted the individual that is responsible for reserving space in the student union for these things (Which is where more than likely this will be taking place due to the scope of it). She has heard nothing and was acctually suprised that a claim like that would be made and she not notified about it by anyone (SAI or Jack’s people)

3. No one in the policital studies department has heard anything regarding this. http://tinyurl.com/wnqhu Comment Number 15.

In short… Jack is just making stuff up to sound important….again.

Red_Minotaur ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

How about, instead of showing up in “I Hate Jack Thompson” t-shirts, people show up in “Pixelante” t-shirts. He wants us to appear in “I Hate Jack Thompson” t-shirts because he’ll be able to use them to his advantage. He’ll be able to portray himself in a positive light, and gain further support for his cause which is not a good thing. By showing up in “Pixelante” t-shirts, we might be able to turn the tables on him. Nobody outside of the gaming community knows what pixelante means, so it’s bound to raise curiousity(sp?). Taken from there, it could lead to the public taking an interest as to what kind of person Jack really is.

Namrepus221 says:

I do n’t know what’s worse…the fact I posted something here and it had an effect…. or the fact that He’s acctaulyl coming here because of it.

I’m checking with SAI after my next class.

Hank the Tank ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I printed out quite a few of Thompson’s most infamout quotes because of this article.

This little gem is my favorite:
    “The goal I set for myself was to destroy Rockstar Games and Take-Two, to make an example of them. That is why I prepped even Hillary Clinton (and Dave Walsh, see below) for their “Hot Coffee” news conference in July 2005. I would prep Satan himself for such a thing. Hillary is cuter. “

AgnostoTheo ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

You know. I think if he actually showed up on my campus, my friends and I would all die laughing at him after about five minutes of a good old “Jack Thompson hates games” Speech. The man’s a laugh riot, A joke. And should be treated as such.

Lost Question ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

hmmm… somethings wrong jacky boy always play’s with a loaded deck. But if he wants a debate let there be a debate.

is Jack’s calling himself a “Video Game Expert” Fraud or something?

AngreeGuy says:

What??… I don’t get why Jack Thompson does this. The self-deprecating thing. Encouraging gamers to wear their “I hate Jack Thompson” shirts and providing a link? Is he trying to take the punch out of these attacks by turning them into his idea? I just don’t trust him.

Syric says:

Hahaha, he should come to MY college! It’s none other than a VIDEO GAME COLLEGE, and right next door to Nintendo, no less! He’ll get laughed right out of the doors.

brokenscope ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I go to Georgia Southern University, somehow I dobut jack would make a stop by here.

A place like this would make one hell of a target for Jack. The average gamer here is an idiot with an alienware who thinks that any game gets better with more gore. That madden is the come all end all of game innovation. However, most of them see jack thompson and start screaming obscenities at the computer/TV screen. When asked why the only answer they can muster is “well he is an asshole, he wants to ban videogames”.

They are a few gamers here could actually debate him in an intelligent manner. I’m not sure i could count myself among them, I would get too angry during his ranting. However, these debates could be a sham just to give him more ammo, if he targets correctly.

Thats what worries me about jack, he can on occasion be very smart, it has just been along time.

Gameboy says:

Ok. So i’ve posted prevously as “A Gamer”. Think I’ll try a new name. Kinda like this one.

Like everyone here I do wish he would debate a real opponent. I think most of the people here would do a decent job of making JT look like the jerk he really is, just as long as they stay cool-headed. It would be real nice IF they would announce this and allow people from both points of view to ask both participants questions. All the better, if they could catch JT in a lie on television.

But after hearing all this, I’m definately looking at Penny-Arcade.com daily just to see them post a comic rediculing him.

jdmdsp911 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Typical. I notice that there isn’t a tour itinerary listed. Reading Guccione’s wiki, this looks more like it will be Jack spewing his usual crap and Guccione going “yup, yup. I completely agree.” What’s the matter thompson, to chicken to debate someone who actually knows the truth?

Josh says:

I’m afraid that if you get into a debate with him that he doesn’t like, he’ll just threaten to sue you for harassment. The man is a bonafide psycho and the college gamers are going to eat him up. Hell, if I was going, I would pretty much scream, “So Jack, you don’t see that much of a fan of freedom of speech and expression.” Yeah, he would be pissed if I brought up. And I wish I had one of those shirts because I would so wear that. I agree. Someone has to tape these and YouTube them.

Monte ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Seems like Jack knows how to pick his battles…

Bob Guccione, Jr… a magazine publisher who seems to have no record waht so ever when it comes to video game cencorship and such. The Promotors website says that he was a leader in fighting music cencorship, however, his wiki seems very uninforming… If he really was a “leader”, you’d think that it would be mentioned in his wiki… sounds to me like he wasn’t THAT influencial…

Jack is an absolute coward… He says his willing to take on his critics, yet the ones he debates with those who probably can’t put up much of a fight, or the debate is terribly short, allowing him to get out before any real damage can be done. He’s terrified to take on any critic with any credibility and who has looked hard at the issue of video games. I don’t think we’ll ever see him take on popele like the video game attorney, or any kind of professor like Henry Jenkins… He won’t fight any fight where he nows he won’t have a clear victory.

Kharne ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I don’t think the debates really matter. When it’s over he’ll cover up everything he didn’t like, then go about spewing nonsence about how he triumphed at the college debates when the truth is he’s more likely to have been totally annihilated out there.

Devil D says:

Dont chew me out for saying this, but I would be very interested in seeing one of his speeches. However as far as doing a peanut gallery over him, I think that will only fuel him more. Fact is, he is gaining energy fromt he controversy. I would like to see him discuss his pov. in a non hostile environment. In other news, I CANT WAIT TO PLAY BULLY!

Black Manta ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

With his credibility and reputation now in tatters after the Bully debacle and his career soon to be over (Cody Posey will be the stake though his heart. Trust me. 😉 I’m surprised he’s pulling something like this. Then again, maybe he took my “enjoy what’s left of your career while you still have it” advice to heart! 😉

I’m even more surprised he’s advertising all the PA-related merchandise when he accused them of extorting him and even said they were going to Hell at one point! I wouldn’t be surprised if Gabe and Tycho raised a big stink over this.

Personally, I’d like to see JT hold a press conference and pull an R. Budd Dwyer. I’d say he’s pretty close to that point now.

Here’s a link for those who don’t know what I’m talking about.

Paul says:

I’m torn. I go to an incredibly liberal university famous for student activism, and know he would just get shut down if he came.

Still, if he’s publicizing it, I think he’s confident he can destroy the other guy in no time. He’d never have, let alone publicize, a debate with Henry Jenkins or someone capable.

He’s probably doing it for easy cash. Most speakers get at least a few thousand dollars for every appearance (Jon Stewert’s rates start at 100K) and he could easily make 20-30K from a dozen or fewer of these things.

nightwng2000 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

When I saw that, my mind drifted to the end of the first episode of Doctor Who series 2.

“Don’t you think she looks tired?”

6 words to bring down an administration or a tin-pot dictator wannabe. :)

NW2K Software

Brer says:

Well, personally I’d love to get up on stage and debate Thompson, but it sounds like these are canned “show” debates rather than an opportunity to really engage with either of the personalities involved. I seriously doubt that “questions from the audience” would be allowed in any format that wouldn’t give JT and Guccione ample chance to talk all over their interlocutors. A shame the main opponent is a fixed and known quantity, rather than each location fielding someone new.

Eric says:

Jack Thompson can’t win an argument in court, so he decides to bully (no pun intended) college students instead. This fits in perfectly with all his other noble acts.

Tim says:

He could hardly debate here when he was allowed to post; in fact he was more going for the emotional ways of putting his points to support his arguments. What would the debate do besides let him be able to let you hear the ANGUISH in his voice as THE EVIL games FORCED people to KILL? Perhaps he believed people would support him then?

Anyway, who cares.

Pixelantes Anonymous ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Looks like he’s not able to make a living from his book or litigation work.

I fully expect him to use the T-shirts against his opponent and gamers, if this thing ever goes ahead and people do show up wearing that T-shirt.

diceman says:

hes more like one of those “believe what i believe or i kill/slander you” 1300s type guys.

in other news im surprised he hasnt been clubbed ina back alley somewhere with all the lieing and slander against random people/companies he does.

we can only hope.

Brokenscope ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

How in hell can anyone in their right mind still consider duke nukem relevant? I am so very tired of them bring up the old mortal combats and it ilk and throwing them out as the present state of things.

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

‘His work has already influenced the debate as the video game industry considers him its public enemy #1.’

Which video game industry did they talk to? The ones on Planet Earth ignore him, and justifiably so.

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This is purely attention grabbing and a funding attempt by JT, it’s going to be a complete sham from start to finish and is not going to focus on computer games, it’s going to focus on Jack Thompson and why he thinks he has the God-given right to alter the First Amendment.

It’s a popularity show, and, quite frankly, turning up at it will only serve to increase his media-weight. I recommend as many people as possible ignore this, it’s not a debate, it’s an attempt to get more attention so he can continue harassing Rock Star.

Namrepus221 says:

I hope to god Jack comes to California University of Pennsylvania (Yes there is a California, Pennsylvania)

We had Joe Lieberman here a while ago and I was thinking of bringing a sign that said “I Play GTA. EVERYBODY RUN FOR YOUR LIVES” but I decided against it entirely and didn’t attend at all.

A friend attended and it nearly turned into a riot because of how people acted to others. Shouting as loud as possible to drown out any and all speaking, etc, etc, etc. Really retarded stuff.

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

aniki21 Says:
    Assuming he even goes through with this, it’ll make no difference. Jack will be preaching his unsound rhetoric to a group of kids far more up-to-date than him about what games involve.

Guess you haven’t been to many college debates. I used to attend “Evolution vs. Creation” debates before ID became the new black, and it was preaching to the choir. Most of the attendees were sheep who showed up to nod in agreement at any BS the Creation debater spouted, laugh at his lame jokes, and glaze over whenever the Evolution debater spoke.

Very rarely was a competent, well educated, good debater “picked” for the “evolution” side. Usually it was just some prof who volunteered to try to lecture the audience, and of course not having a PhD in “brow beating”, he always loses horribly to the creationist who would spot all the usual topics.

Babus ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“His work has already influenced the debate as the video game industry considers him its public enemy #1.”

Jack***, it’s true isn’t it? This is our fault, but I’ve decided to blame you more than myself.

Boffo97 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Oh, I’m quite aware of Warrior W. Warrior’s name changing shenanigans, but I just put out the old name just in case some readers here may not have been.

Theory? ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Dammit. I don’t go to a real school that holds seminars like this. Someone needs to tape it or record it or something. I need to see this.

Howell2751 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

ooooo anyone have the schedule of where hes going. If hes coming to WVU, it would a perfect addition to the english 102 paper I’m writing which happens to be on video game violence and whos for censorship and against. Though as much as i wanted to not talk about John Bruce, it seems unavoidable since alot of my sources bring him up, so hes going to show up in my final draft sadly, but if he shows up at my university before December then I WILL have some actual decent and soild info to destroy the people for game censorship.

Zerodash ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Actually, I beleive JT would be collecting $$ for touring. Considering how his court cases don’t ever go his way, its probably the best revenue stream he can get.

He’s too good for a “real” job.

Warren Lewis says:

Yeah, I’ve been on GamePolitics for about a year (October 29) I’m sure That I saw the comment and said something about it. At this time I don’t really remember what I said.

– Warren Lewis

noman says:

Actually, the use of the title former is not needed in your comment on the Ultimate Warrior. He had his name legally changed so he could use it.

KungFu-tse says:

Yeah, it’s on Tom’s blog.

“Jack got back with me later, now trying to get me to debate him in his church in Coral Gables and continuing to call me a liar. For the life of me I can not see where I am a liar…unless he thought I claimed he actually was an Organ Grinder’s Monkey. I am a lot of things, but liar is not one of them.”

You weren’t here on GP when it happened?

aniki21 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I beg your pardon? I’ve never heard of Jack going to a college to debate anyone. Even when Buscaglia or FFJ (I think it was them) invited him to such an event, he chickened out.

Demontestament ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Just a quick question. Isn’t Jack known to be someone who will challenge someone to a debate and then back out at the last second if someone accepts his challenge?

dog welder ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’m pretty much echoing Nightwing’s thoughts here….

He wants to debate about violent video games, so he invites a debate opponent who happens to be a magazine publisher? Huh?

In what world does that make sense?

I think viewing all that violence in Bully last week might have fried Thomson’s frontal lobe.

KungFu-tse says:

Jack’s new bragging right.

“I am Jack Thompson, Miami lawyer. I am an expert. I was on 60 Minutes. I have been on many college campus debates.”

That reminds me, remember when he chickened out from a debate with Tom Buscaglia and wanted it done in a church?

Chuma ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

So this is his next big money making idea now that the whole lawyer thing isn’t working out, huh?

We’ve seen how he “debates”. I wouldn’t waste my time even going along to watch.

nightwng2000 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’d also like to point out that this so-called debate he claims he wants to have is nothing more than a sham to pass on the same type of false information he’s been passing out to other individuals, organizations, and government officials. He’s been lying time and again, and called on those lies with proof and evidence, but he’s too ignorant to recognize his failings.

Frankly, the man couldn’t stand up to a real nationally publicized debate if his life depended on it. Let him debate Dr. Henry Jenkins of MIT. Or Dr. Richard Gelles (who did a recent Q&A session and downplayed the role of video games in regards to overall effects on violence ( http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/living/health/qa_forum.html?forumId=2852&mode=display&action=&type=list&pageNo=2 )) of the Center for Research on Youth and Social Policy ( http://www.sp2.upenn.edu/crysp/ ).

Let him go head to head in debates with attorneys from the overall media industry (video games, TV, movies, music, books, etc).

But no, he’s too cowardly for that. Have a REAL debate? Not a chance.

John Bruce has proven himself time and again to be nothing more than a tin-pot dictator wannabe. Look at the legislation he helped draft. Look at the lawsuit he brought to attempt to force Take Two to give him a copy of the yet to be release game Bully. Look at his interviews. Everything he’s done screams of demands to do it HIS way or HIS way. HE has to be the one to play Bully to decide if it’s appropriate for OTHER people’s children. HE has to decide if any other game is appropriate for OTHER people’s children. HE has to create legislation that would violate Parental Rights by making it the government’s decision as to what is or is not appropriate for other people’s children (as long as the government agrees with HIM, because if they don’t, well, you’ve seen what happens when someone turns on him and doesn’t agree with HIS way. Just ask Dr. Walsh of NIMF or the AG, governor, and others in LA).

I feel very strongly about the issue of Parental Rights and the rights of parents to make decisions for their OWN children and that no other individual, organization, or government official has the right to violate a Parent’s Rights. Oh, I’m sure there are “but”s to that in some people’s eyes, but rest assured, there ARE comebacks to a number of them quite easily.

I also feel very strongly about the lack of honor and ethics being displayed by John Bruce, not merely in the public forum but in the government and legal forums as well. Lies and deceit do not belong in those forums. Especially when someone is SUPPOSED to be a professional in those areas. Anyone who uses lies and deceit in the legal and government forums is clearly incapable of being in those forums.

And I also feel very strongly about the downplaying, ignoring, and even encouraging of all forms of abuse in and out of the school setting. So John Bruce’s actions and attitudes really get under my skin. Such individuals are abhorrent and obscene. I don’t care how many religious scriptures they spout.

John Bruce standing in front of impressionable young adults debating anything to do with video games? May as well get someone from Fred Phelps’s group to participate in a debate on Human and Civil Rights.

NW2K Software
    (Note: This post is an edited version of a post I made elsewhere on Oct 10, 2006 here: http://ve3dboards.ign.com/general_news/b10496/25276590/p3
    edits were made due to changes in events since that time plus changes in discussion. But the jist is still the same.)

Boffo97 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Clearly the wrong opponent here… if we wanted something interesting, why won’t Jack debate an expert on games, such as Tom Buscaglia? What does Guccione, Jr. know about games?

That being said, if Jack won’t debate a game expert… I’ve got an alternative suggestion… someone who has made college tours himself…. the personage formerly known as WWF’s Ultimate Warrior.

I would pay to see that sheer carwreck of illogic.

Scoops says:

Yeah, put me in the “not impressed, not interested, waste of time” camp.

Anyone who thinks this is going to be a chance for them to punk Jack in public is fooling themselves. He’s not going to be the crazy spaz we know from LJ, PA, VG Cats, etc. He’s going to be the CNN Jack. The one who tosses out statements that sound plausible and misquotes studies. Unless you’ve actually read all the studies, you’re never going to seriously bust him on the spot. Even if you can get him to snap, its not like the media is going to be following him around on this tour.

Like others, I’m also not impressed with his debate partner. I know Guccione is a publisher, so one would assume he’s pro free speech. However, I can’t say as I’ve ever seen him say anything in public on the issue at hand. We know there have been people in other industries (and even in the game industry) who don’t necessarily believe that games qualify as art and/or speech.

Now, if he were to debate someone who seems more relevant, I’d be more interested. In addition to the names I’ve seen already in posts here, I’d toss out Hal Halpin, Doug Lowenstein, Patricia Vance, or even Jerry Holkins, Mike Krahulik or Scott Ramsoomair.

noman says:

Now correct me if I’m wrong but, in a debate, is it not customary for one of the debaters to know something? What qualifications does this guy, the guy who made Spin magazine whos name is not important enough to remember or scroll up, have other than being an ass. If Thompson was going to have a real debate, he would get someone like Seanbaby, someone who actually knows the medium.

Raven says:

Good point. I think part of the reason why he’s pushing for his larger critics, i.e. gamers, to show up wearing the “I hate Jack Thompson” shirts is that he wants to reinforce the idea everyone is out to get him as it were. If people show up to heckle him, it wohnd only serve to prove his position that we’re an out of control, socially inept group and he could easily turn down future offers of debate using this example of precident. The best way to counter this would be not to give into the temptation to heckle him and instead of taking fashion tips from Jack, show up in business or business casual. By just showing that we are going to attend the debates with courtacy and professionalism, it would sabatoge any grandstanding on Jack’s part and keep the door open for further debate on the subject of videogames and the first admendment.

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I wouldn’t attend even if there was a point.

There’s no way on Earth that I’m going to help this man use his own obnoxiousness and lack of manners as a stepping stone for his career.

Salen says:

Debate? Wait, I think we’ve got a word-definition problem here. Any “debate” that Jack’s going to be taking part in will probably be about as much of a “debate” as that whole “Attack of the Game” segment he was on to “debate” video games as well.

Plus, is it really a debate if Jack’s just reiterating the same tired studies and the same boring catchphrases?

The whole idea? Pass.

LoopyChew ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

What’s needed in this college debate tour are people who know exactly what facts Jacko will be trotting out, and the ability to call him on it each time, lest we have a rehash of the G4 “debate.”

Despite his eternal status as “village idiot” in the gaming world, he has the ability to sound authoritative to those who are uninformed. If he didn’t, he wouldn’t be able to make all those claims to CNN and whatever else he gets off to appearing on.

Cold, hard facts are needed for successful rebuttals. Let him be the name-calling ass if need be; if the audience sees us frothing while he keeps himself as the more poised JT we saw in the first part of Niero’s articles on Destructoid (and in most of his public appearances), we lose face.

Bottom line: Consider this the videogame equivalent of Uwe Boll taking on critics.

Matthew says:

All those in favor of NOT inviting Jack to their college? Aye!

Seriously, we should not give into his fame-grabbing, money-loving schemes. Pay this no mind. Anyone who successfully books this guy is just handing him money for his ridiculous crusade. I know you think it would be funny to see him rant and fume but it’s not worth giving him the publicity or your school’s money. Ignore his baiting. Ignore this cry for attention. Ignore Jack Thompson.

pokemaster2185 says:

I’m not really expecting him to come to my college, though it is a Jesuit University, so it’s posiible….

Anway, I can’t see how this will be of any benefit for him given, well, it’s Jack Thompson. He can’t debate his way out of a paper bag. Heck, I’d probably be able to out-debate him, and I hate debates.

Siftr says:

“Jack Thompson has been much in demand on college campuses, where he participates in debates on such issues as how popular culture products can cause, violence; censorship and the First Amendment; and other related issues. His work has already influenced the debate as the video game industry considers him its public enemy #1.”

Well, at least they know the first rule of advertising. If you can’t think of anything good, make up lies that sound kinda good.

Here’s hoping he comes to my college in canada 😀

pix ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I wouldn’t hold my breath that this will be anything of note. Thompson has proven time and time again that he can’t debate. He just answers all questions by misstating some study and then saying by not agreeing with him the person he is talking to is killing the youth of the nation and doesn’t understand what he is doing and is evil blah blah blah

To be honest I also want to know why he is doing this now. Could it be because his law was thrown out for been uncontitional and that he failed in his bid to ban bully? I mean no politician would touch this man with a barge poll, as a result he needs to claw and scrape to extend his 15 minutes of fame and going on a tour is a way to do that. However if like we all hope Thompson faces some real debates and is torn apart how long will he go on for.

Like all things he does this is badly planned out and will result in him making a fool out of himself, but at least people will be talking about him and in his own little insecure mind that is a victory enough for him as he will do what he always does and focus on the fact that he did it rather then the fact that it failed

Phantom says:

Looking over both Jack and Bob’s respective wikis, the only correlation was that Mr. Guccione referred to Jack as a “modern-day Don Quixote” during the 2 Live Crew debacle. While this endears him slightly more to me, I still don’t see where he’s remotely qualified to debate Jack about video games. My guess is that the debate isn’t going to be so much about that, and more about media and the responsibilities of content producers.

However, Jack’s a money whore who loves to get rich off his “principles,” so he passed the memo to Dennis in order to get us riled up. He wants us to turn out to boo him all the way to the bank. Meh.

hayabusa75 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I REALLY hope no one decides to attend these things. I don’t trust anything orchestrated by Jack; he will have some strategy in place to make himself look the moral superior. I think GoodRobotus has the right idea; don’t give this attention whore any rope.

Thefremen says:

There’s going to be cameras right? Because a red-faced Jack Thompson is a funny Jack Thompson. I hope he puts together a best of/worst of tape I think that would be worth buying, and probably the reason why he’s doing this.

At any rate, does he just want to feel like people hate him and want to destroy him so he feels vindicated in his clearly insane quest? I ask because he’s encouraging people to buy “I hate thompson” shirts…

I dunno, the guy is hard to peg, maybe after the other 17,000 press releases he sends this month I’ll “get” him.

Salen says:

You know, protesting Jack would be pretty fun too. I know colleges do that sort of stuff like when the Vice President went to some college and some kids stood up in the middle of the speech and turned around. Folks could even consider wearing their t-shirts. Maybe in the green “Make 7-Up Yours” shirt. Ok, maybe not but hey, protesting is still a valid way of making your feelings known be it to JT or your school officials who invite them to your college.