Could Jack Thompson Be Jailed Over “Bully” Case?

GamePolitics has confirmed that lawyers representing Take-Two Interactive, publisher of Bully, are seeking to have Jack Thompson declared in contempt of court.

Although we haven’t yet seen the motion, the request would appear to relate to Thompson’s angry comments in the wake of Miami District Court Judge Ronald Friedman’s refusal to block sales of Bully.

In a worst-case scenario for Thompson, the outspoken attorney could be jailed by Judge Friedman if he were ruled in contempt.

However, a knowledgeable legal source has told GamePolitics that options such as fines, judicial admonishment or censure are more likely.

Attorneys for Philadelphia law firm Blank-Rome, long a target of Thompson’s ire, filed what is known as a “Petition for Order to Show Cause.” The motion requests that Judge Friedman order Thompson to appear in court and show cause as to why he should not be held in contempt.

For his part, Thompson has reacted to the motion with typical bluster, directing his comments towards opposing counsel as well as the judge. Here are excerpts from recent e-mails cc’d to GamePolitics:

‘You want to play hardball…?  You want to try to throw me in jail?  You have no idea what you are unleashing in doing this.  You’re at the brink…”

“If this court in any fashion proceeds toward issuing a show cause order, given its utter baselessness and the bad faith goo in which it slithers, then Thompson will add whatever judge should do so as a defendant in the aforementioned federal civil rights action…”

UPDATE: A number of sites have linked to this story today, but not all of them have gotten it right. Thompson has NOT been found in contempt. Take-Two’s attorneys are requesting that Judge Friedman hold a hearing on the matter to see whether he should be held in contempt.

wallace says:

jack thomson this is for you dude,i hear your message and so do a great many people,,i on the other hand think the video games released are a good thing and your fight to have content remove or stopped being released all together is wrong,sooner or later people will start putting it all together,but unfortunetly people are popping all over the place .i beleave its time for us to be awaken and these video games are for a higher purpose,people that are still dependant on this system will defend it with there lives dude,ive read they see you getting angry and bitter about particular aspects…dont fall into that trap do it for love dude theres no way they can break you then

wallace says:

pac man, a bigger more powerfull dot eating smaller dots …..grandtheft auto,a reminder what is actually happening on our streets,you see my friends if you will bare with me and try to stay open minded, there are 3 shrines that protect the method first to find the method you have to understand what the 3 shrines are, the 3 shrines are religion supernaturel and reality…..all our computer games can and do come under the 3 shrines so that leaves what is the method .The method is to blind people from the truth ,yet still tell the truth in the process and thus cause debate!!!! do your self a favour and next time you watch a film or listen to the radio try to remember the 3 shrines then ask yrself as a logical human being wich shrine do you pick…i know for one im with reality all the way…been a space man for far too long…lol couldt quite gett he hang of the christian thing…ever wich wa i turn i see and hear the messages and when you find out yr liveing in a world where the actual people yr trying to wake up !want your demise because there too dependant on that system or they cant handle the truth .hense why the 3 shrines are there..but untill we wake up!!! there will continue to be disaters all over the place,i pray that these disasters dont drop at your door because your asleep.

wallace says:

wow,you know, i dont even know this guy your all talking about,yet when i read through it seems you all have simular opinions about him…..i would like to point out that the majority doesnt decide whats wright and wrong..the conciouns does!!.and for you christians out there (wich i am not) doesnt this seem a case of david and galieth..or if you prefere the supernaturel reality he’s maybe neo trying to get to zion. all i know is its a messed up world out there.and maybe just maybe these individuals that are standing out are driven by a greater purpose than most. i for one am willing to conceive that what he is actually talkinging about has clarity.haha were all in a computer generated dream world, wake up people.the messages are there,in every cinema dvd the signs are everywhere,maybe there isnt any harm in the content of these games but there is definately a message…..were being shown in game such as grand theft auto,what is actually hapenening on our streets,were told in the film unleashed the way that muderers are born,everything is fear base control……problem is here he has become unplugged and by unplugged i dont mean insane.(yet the world around him could cause that) he’s just awake unplugged and along and see’s a truth others cannot,its lik being in the film “the cube” or neo trapped at the train station between worlds…….comeon people….its alonley word for people like him love conqures all……dont lose yr sight people rdgds and love allwys pain old me .

Nick Sparx says:

This is a load of bull people are not changed through the action of video games in fact the video games often act as a release. The game counter strike is merely a strategic game in which the player takes on the role of stopping terrorists. I just got throught watching Jack Thompson on hardball and his statements are nothing but bull shit.

[…] Outside of the TV news scene, Take Two is trying to hold Jacko in Contempt of court for doing is regular “I didn’t get my way and now I’ll act like a baby” spiel. Or it could also be described as: “I want to destroy the First Amendment and they won’t let me! Waah!” Either way it all ends up about the same: a judge reviews the case and brings logic into the picture, which generally blows out anything Thompson tries to bring to the table. […]

Daniel says:

I hate Jack Thompson for trying to ban violent video games and I strongly hope his license to practice law is revoked and he is jailed. He had no right to ban violent video games and is a stupid lwyer who doesn’t know anything. I even sent a letter to Judge Friedman telling him how awesome I think his decision and actions against Jack Thompson were. He is a total bum and how he even got a license to practice law was the real travesty of justice. People like him should be totally ignored and shouldn’t be allowed to practice law and sue innocent companies for money and fame. He is a liar and doesn’t deserve anything for any of his cases. I think it’s horrible that he has been successful at all. Judge Friedman, if you’re reading this, please do everything in your power to see that Jack Thompson loses his lisence to practice law. Jack Thompson is a lying ambulance chasing liar and a total fraud. I hope Take-Two and Rockstar’s lwyers win against Jack Thompson. No game legislation should ever exist.

A Concerned Video Gamer

Alias001 says:

The thing I find so amusingly ironic is that he sounds exactly like the kind of evil megalomaniacal supervillain you’d have found at the end of a really cheesy arcade game (probably a mortal kombat knockoff) from the early 90s.

I can just see it now, the setting is a courtroom that’s been smashed all to hell, a passable, though pixellated, figure of Jack Thompson faces off against your character (Let’s make him the impossibly muscled american stereotype that every fighting game of the era had). The tinny rock music is blaring, both of you are flexing your vastly exaggerated muscles in a wanky pre-match macho strut. All of a sudden you hear the scratchy 8bit sampled voice coming from your enemy:

‘You want to play hardball…? You want to try to throw me in jail? You have no idea what you are unleashing in doing this. You’re at the brink…”

Timbo ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

To the tune of “Danny Boy”

Oh Jacky boy, your time, your time is coming
    For all your rants, and all your hissy fits
    You fun has gone, an all gamers are laughing
    Tis you, tis you must go, hope the jumpsuit fits
    But come on back when jail time is over
    Or use your monthly letter to let us know
    Tis we’ll be here in sunshine or in shadow
    Oh Jacky boy, oh Jacky boy, we’ll miss you so.

Nester Edwards says:

Another episode in the current year-long series “The Self-Destruction of Jack Thompson”!

Regardless on the result of this, it’s going to hurt Mr. Thompson since he’s pushing his ideas too far & he’s definitely going to pay in some way…

Personally, I do find this funny as he’s getting hung by his own words (in poetic justice).

Espilonarge says:

Personally Take-Two should be suing Jack Thompson for harrassment towards them. Even then Jack Thompson has already proven how his a irrisponcible parant, pulling excuses out of his pocket in order to help fill them with the greedy wealth his stolen off Take-Two.

Worse is that his already making allot gamers angry because of his “stupidity” to keep attacking game companies non-stop.

His legal status as a lawyer should be revoked permantly.

Zerodash ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

His little “deadline” for Patricia Vance is tomorrow (Wednesday). I wonder if this will have some kind of “chilling effect” on him. Unless, of course, his threats were hot air to begin with.

Anonymus says:

I seriously don’t think jail wouldn’t do justice for Jack Thompson…

I say strap him in a chair, pry his eyelids open, and make him watch 24 hours of nothing but videogame footage; not from the good ones, but the udderly crappy ones that no one ever plays for fear of pink goo dripping from their ears. Then throw in footage of fatalities from every fighting game that had them in the engines.

That, or chain him inside an arcade and make him listen to fatalities from the MKII machine on his left, DDR music (make double sure that’s the machine he’s chained to!) blaring in his ears, the catchy jingle from Ms. Pacman from his right, and have a lil’ button that would cut the power to all the machines (or make him think that, anyways) and free him…and in the rare case he SHOULD get free, make sure he has a doggie-shock collar on him and the bounderies at each exit.

In either case, set up a streamable webcam for gamers world-wide to view.

*NOTE: I DO NOT condone torture in any way/shape/or form. This is merely for entertainment purposes and should not be taken seriously! However, if he DOES end up getting punished in any of the ways mentioned above, I take full responsibility for it as long as it’s done as humanely as possible…but since that’ll never happen, I can still dream!!!*

yonderboy ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This is a serious idea:

A mod team needs to get together and make an RPG similar to Bully.

However… it will be a Prison B*tch themed RPG where our main character, “Tack Johnson,” has to beat up prison guards and acquire bunkmates in order to not be “violated” or be beaten to a pulp behind bars.

I’m certain a respectable team would enjoy this idea.

Lost Question ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“You want to play hardball…?”

Not realy you just keep pushing and pushing so we decided to take a stand.

“You want to try to throw me in jail?”

No, but one of the other options for diciplin would be good.

“You have no idea what you are unleashing in doing this.”

Do you have any idea what your trying to unleash? Did you think of what will happen when you filed this suit?

“You’re at the brink…”

No, but you sound pretty nervous all of a sudden.

Your digging your-self a deeper ditch, you do know that right? Or are you trying to bully the judge?

nightwng2000 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Grahamr Says:

October 23rd, 2006 at 11:20 pm
    “you want to play hardball?”

Yes,as a matter of fact, john bruce, we do. this will be the one case that you won’t survive…..though your antics have been somewhat humorous, you have deeply offended many people, when you teased a gamer who commit suicide,and your recent adventures in albaquerqe,namely. now, it’s time for you to pay.

Grahamr, I think this phrase used on Doctor Who Big Finish (and probably a few other places) would work well as a response to him as well:

Come and have a go,
    If you think you’re hard enough.

NW2K Software

Croll says:

Someone could eventually file a Rule 11 motion against him… basically says he’s filing a frivilous lawsuit and seek sanctions against him. Problem is judges are very reluctant to grant those motions. Better approach might well be to get a string of contempt findings (even if they’re just slaps on the wrist), then approach the state Bars of which he is a member and seek disciplinary action against him backed up by the contempt orders. A longer road but might be more effectively in the longterm.

odc04r ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’m more than a little convinced that the kissing options were left in Bully entirely on purpose to spark this sort of debate and bring game content down to a level that people can really discuss.

Ofc it also is a brilliant bait for the ol’ lawerin’ christian (and anyone else fond of silly anti game rhetoric) to remove any of his on the fence supporters after one or two displays of blatent homophobia. I would have done a very similar thing if I was up in charge @ Rockstar I imagine.

Public discussion is a good thing and this is way more discussable than violence and drugs in T rated games. I expect it will get blown out of proportion somewhere but a more reasonable debate should be possible if people require one.

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The fact of the matter is, you do not violate a gag-order. If you are not sure whether what you are going to say is going to violate that order, you ask. Ignorance of the law is not a defence, otherwise everyone would be forgiving themselves for letting company secrets slip etc.

It’s easy to hide behind ‘I didn’t know’, that’s why laws are specifically designed to not allow it as a defence. If you were caught doing 60 in a 50mph zone, would the officer care whether you knew or not?

For my part, I’d rather see Jack get chastised for his rudeness and poor manners, Lord knows he deserves it, not for a technicality.

patm1975 says:

From the other perception he is being as desctrutive as much as he claims these games are. If he really wants to help change the world and make it a better place. This guy should stop what his doing and allow people to decide for themselves. Place his energy into something productive like supporting educational games that can make a larger impact on society. His just wasting his time, money and peoples patience maulling over this.

finaleve ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Personally, I’d like to see him in jail. So he can sit down, realize that he messed up pretty badly, and he could try and change his ways.

But in reality, no one really does that. Not even kids today who get sent into their rooms.
    A hefty fine will do nicely, as he relies on money to live anyways. That or a nice combination of both.

Either way, this will put a dent into JT’s credibility. How many dents is a bit of a mystery.

Grahamr ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“you want to play hardball?”

StarTrekMike says:

I would love to be able to do something…but it seems as though even the videogame industry itself won’t really mount a good defense.

How can we defend a industry that won’t defend itself in a meaningfull way?

If I could I would go to every hearing and trial and speak on behalf of the real gamers out there…I would prevent them from presenting internet flash games as evidence against retail game developers…but they won’t listen to me…I am just another 23 year old who does not really know what is good for me.
    If we could somehow organize a hearing on our own…something like a convention where we offer seats to those who oppose games and folks like us who really know the hobby and how to defend it properly than I would be first to offer my help (allbeit limited).

Untill then I stop every mother and father I see in stores who comments about violence when with the kid in the game section…I talk to them and tell them the real deal…but most of them just see me as a stupid 20 something who has no life and probably is high on marijuana.

We need to act in a way that beats our opposition in both wit and civility (sp?)…but I just don’t know how we could go about it.

but until then…we really don’t have much in the line of options.

Father Time ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Forgot to mention that even if we can’t completely stop their attacks we can (probably), slow down and attack (and make them pay for) their progress so much that any small victory they get will be a punic (or is pewtic) victory.

Mark Standridge ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“I’d honestly like to know why people have been putting off suing his ass.”

At least in terms of Take-Two, my guess is that they don’t want to look petty (at least, not as petty as Jack looks). If it were me (i.e. if I were in Take-Two’s place), I’d consider suing him for trade disparagement: he’s made a number of wholly unsupported claims against Take-Two’s products and personnel that he knows are untrue, or with reckless disregard to their truth or falsity. For example, he persists in labeling Bully a “Columbine simulator” when even he must admit that the worst physical harm you can inflict in the game is by a baseball bat or a slingshot.

Father Time ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The only way we will stop this attack on our media is to usurp the control they have and change it all around…the only way we can do that is to wait it out…till they die.

So the solution to the media slandering our hobby and putting pressure on conterversial game makers is to . . . DO NOTHING???! That won’t solve anything. Yes they will die, yes we will eventually be in control but until then we HAVE to fight them, if not our favorite hobby would be in jeopardy, imagine video games if you HAD to turn down the violence to sub-Mario qualities, good bye Hitamn, ta-ta Halo, See ya Ratchet and Clank, and so long Grand Theft Auto (not to mention God of war and Metal Gear Solid), yes this is an absolute worst case scenario but this is the ultimate goal of some of the anti-gamers out there. I for one refuse to just sit by and do nothing, that would make me a coward (the same applies to you).

jdmdsp911 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Ahh yes. Just as normal lets threaten the people that don’t see things our way and force them to see it. Because after all, just like Dr. Crabblesnitch says; “It is only by becoming blinkered and seeing things how one wants to, that one can become a truly responsible adult.”

StarTrekMike says:

This could be a good thing for us…but we all know how long good things last in the gamers war on conservativism.

Jack Thompson getting stopped will not change anything really…in fact it may strenthen the resolve of others who might try to do the same thing…he will be used as a example to show that the legal system won’t stop the violent games from being published…then we will see public game burning and the like…oh yeah…they do it with harry potter…they will do it with games.

Parents see games as a threat to the fabric of the “young and underdeveloped” minds of youth and that will not change until we run the show.

Father Time ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I probably won’t be attending his judicial funeral, but let me know how it goes.

*funeral music plays*
    Today we celebrate err I mean mourn the death of Jack Thompson’s law career, it was a pitiful career and in its final days it strolled around as a pitiful diseased, senile wreck and god knew what was keeping it alive. And we shall always remeber how it made us laugh, and cry, and how it reached new limits (in stupidity insensitivty and hypocrisy) that we never thought possible, let us bury this career, ages to ages dust to dust, let us pray (that it will never be revived). Amen

Kadamon says:

Well, at least they’re trying to do something instead of sitting on their hands like they’ve been doing for the past few years.

I’d honestly like to know why people have been putting off suing his ass. They’d’ve been able to do it for some time now…and yet, they keep holding it off. Dennis could probably even toss in a little bit of E-Stalking to the case and LJ could easily throw in the EULA breaking (massive amounts at that). I mean, he went and called me a Nazi fer chrisssakes. I think that was one of the first times he went and got really banned.

Mind you, since I’m a Canadian, I know a dumbass when I see one…so his commentary doesn’t much well bug me.

DarkTetsuya ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Attack Gypsy:

“The moment he loses one of these, the Flordia Bar will pounce on him like hyenas on a wounded antelope and rip his law licence away. They’ll have plenty of good reason to.”

*cue “SMB_mariodeath.wav” then “SMB_gameover.wav”* 😛

Gameboy says:

I don’t think Jack should go to jail. He should be fined, restricted from practicing the law (if only temporarily), sentenced to community service (the only service he’ll have ever done for any community), and required to undergo a psychiatric examination. After reading the story on that Mr.Pat cited, I think there’s a good chance that will happen. I’ll repost the link here:

Also, I read somewhere that there maybe a conflict of interests here as JT has stated that he plans to run against the very Judge that will be presiding over the case. Honestly, I doubt there’s a conflict of interests in the case, at this moment. If for no other reason, then that Judge Friedman hasn’t said he plans to run for re-election in ’08. But I guarantee that Wacky-Jacky will claim a conspiracy is forming against him. I kinda hope he does, so that we can continue laughing at this guy (you can’t find comedians THIS good).

Jack has said that the “gay sexual content” should make the T rated Bully a M rated game? He’s a bigot and homophobic? What was your first clue? I don’t really care if Jimmy can kiss a guy. I knew I could do the same, worse actually, in Fable and i never even attempted it. Why? Because I dont wanna watch guys kiss! Geez Jack let people decide what they want to see. If someone thinks that kind of thing is offensive, they won’t try to see it!

One last thing. If Jack has cited Bill Gates as one of these horrible people contributing to teenage delinquency, I swear someone said that, why doesn’t Bill, the richest man on the face of Earth, sue him? That would get some serious attention and might make some of these other Anti-game idiots think twice.

Funky J ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Dear Jack,

A finding of contempt of court may result from a failure to obey a lawful order of a court, showing disrespect for the judge, disruption of the proceedings through poor behavior, or publication of material deemed likely to jeopardize a fair trial.

Given your behaviour on numerous occasions both in and out of court, in your letters to judges, politicians, and your CCing to media outlets, I am very surprised you have not been found in contempt before this time.

Your response to Take Two is yet another example of your unprofessionalism, and I hope you actually learn how to conduct yourself in a court of law befitting someone who holds a law degree.

jccalhoun says:

Over at Destructoid they have the full text of Thompson’s statements
    in it he, of course, mentions the boogieman aka Blank Rome as being behind it.

He also calls what happened in the chamber a “séance.” Then he goes on to say, “If the Court and the defendants do not understand the nature and appropriateness of that remedy, then they need to research the law, read Thompson’s lawsuit, and then stop.”

He concludes, “Plaintiff has seen arbitrariness from judges before in his thirty years of practicing law, but nothing close to this”

Boffo97 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This seems to be fairly open and shut between what I’ve read on Destructoid and Wikipedia.

Judge Friedman did demand Take Two produce excerpts of Bully before its release, but Take Two asked for and received a gag order on Thompson as a compensation for that. It’s a reasonable request on their part. They wouldn’t want Thompson being able to ruin their game by spoiling it all over the Internet.

Thompson, once he didn’t get his way, proceeded to file emergency appeals wherein he directly cited things that occurred during the viewing, according to Destructoid. This would seem to violate the gag order, and thus construe indirect contempt of court (as defined by Wikipedia), which seems to be exactly what Take Two is alleging.

Jail time seems less likely because, in this case, violation has already occurred rather than it be some violation that Jack can stop doing. Jack can be ordered again to immediately cease any discussion forbidden by the gag order, and if he refuses, then he can go to jail until he agrees to comply. That seems unlikely, but Jack would probably at least face a nominal fine and some censure for the “letting the genie out of the bottle” damage he already did.

A threat to sue any involved people for breach of civil rights is ludicrous. Getting to breach gag orders at will is not a civil right.

Keaton2008 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

yeah, he hates gays.

According to thing guy on who claims to have read “Out of Harm’s Way”, there is quite a bit of anti-gay bashing in there.

Dustin1986 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Woops double post.

Here’s another thought. If the kid gave a girl a little kiss, that deserves a Teen rating right? That makes sense, you can’t say that’s sexually explicit. But Jack’s saying that if he kisses a boy it’s a very VERY different thing. I suppose it would be a problem if you don’t like gay people. Are you saying you don’t like gay people Jack? Because people that don’t like gay people are called bigots. You’re not a bigot are you Jack?

David Null says:

Re: Siftr
    I agree, and a bit of me thinks he is really in a rut & stuck in the past if he thinks this is really that much of an issue. Might have gotten people like him some mileage in the past, but I don’t think something equivalent to a PG 13 rated movie should be R due to something like that.

Unless this fit is really more about “hidden content” ….

Re: GoodRobotUs @ 6:57 pm
    But Jack doesn’t care too much unless it is a big name game by Rockstar, or something the media is making a current fuss over. I think he sort of learned his lesson over the Sims not being the “pedophile’s paradise” he thought it was….

I think the Gods Of War prostitute mini game has been pointed out, but most people only care about GTA’s Hot Coffee and the EVIL hidden stuff that can lurk in games.

Dustin1986 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

You can kiss a boy in Bully?

That’s the END OF CIVILIZATION right there.

Cool, so now Jack’s a gay basher too. That’s going to work out super good for him. When he was running for office against Janet Reno some 20 years ago, he accused her of being a closet homosexual. He tried to spin it like he wasn’t homophobic though, he said that this information was relevant because the mafia had access to this information as well and they were blackmailing her.

I’m sure Jack was jumping for joy when he discovered that

Jack Thompson is completely insane.

Phantom says:

So we’ve gone from “Bully will inspire a rash of slingshot injuries” to “Bully will lead to kissing!”

Unfortunately for Jack, kissing is not illegal.

Siftr says:

@David Null

Just who does thompson think he’s kidding? trying to make a game rated Mature on the basis it has homosexuality is extremely discriminatory and I do believe (at least in canada) would be ruled unconstitutional as a reason.

Nottma says:

This guy a martyr… I could see the parents seeing that, anything to blissfully misdirect the fact they are bad parents to believe in this guy.

What scares me is Thompson as a judge. I hope this outburst severely maims his chance to go through with that.

David Null says:

Bully’s boy-on-boy scenes causing a stir
    And speaking of Jack:

Thompson addressed ESRB president Patricia Vance in an e-mail he claimed to have sent to “every major news organization in America and the UK,” as well as a host of lawmakers and industry representatives.

“Dear Ms. Vance,” Thompson wrote, “We just found gay sexual content in Bully, as Jimmy Hopkins makes out with another male student. Good luck with your ‘Teen’ rating now, Patty.”

Father Time ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Ok Thompson is saying that if he gets sues he will unleash something diabolical? Yeah like we haven’t heard that before, whatever happened to all those govern yourself accordingly threats and the warnings you gave to Bill Gates Rockstar and ESRB that you never follwoed through on.

The volatile attorney is also facing yet another “show cause” contempt hearing on an unrelated, non-video game case in a different Florida courtroom on December 15th.

So what does Thompson do besides Harrasing video games? Is he an ambulance chaser, does he work with frivolous lawsuits? Those anyone have any info on this?

Brer says:

That’s not the sort of thing that’s considered “contempt of court”. There are two -basic- ways of being in contempt: A) ignoring/breaking a court order of some kind (which is how Thompson lost his pro hac vice in AL) and/or B) disrupting the function of the justice system, either by cutting up rough -in- court or by engaging in tactics the judge feels are trying to “game the system” (or rather, trying to game the system more than lawyers are -expected- to game it 😉 ).

[…] For those that don’t know, Jack Thompson is an American lawyer who has made it his mission to attack any video game that has sexual or violent content within. Understandably, he’s been a busy man. He’s best known for his lawsuits against Rockstar Games, who produced the Grand Theft Auto series. Finally, after riding roughshod all over the games industry, he may be facing contemp charges. According to a report from gaming legislation news site GamePolitics, anti-game lawyer Jack Thompson has himself come under fire from lawyers representing publisher Take-Two Interactive, who have called for Thompson to be held in contempt of court. While it remains unclear as to the exact nature of this request, it most likely stems from comments following Thompson’s most recent failed attempt to prevent the recently released controversial title Bully from being sold in Florida. —Gamasutra News His response is what makes me wonder if he’s mentally unbalanced: “You want to play hardball…? You want to try to throw me in jail? You have no idea what you are unleashing in doing this. You’re at the brink…” That’s like him kicking down my door and getting upset when I beat him off with a broomstick and call the cops. Talk about being on the “brink”! Technorati Tags: Jack Thompson, Take-Two, Rockstar, Bully, contempt of court […]

jccalhoun ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

So he responds to being threated with being in contempt of court by being even more contemptible of the court and threatening the court? I think Jack really really needs anger management counseling.

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

From Jack’s compaint on Destructoid….

3. In fact, the understanding on plaintiff’s side of this case was that the purported gag rule was not to disclose anything substantial he might learn about the content of the game prior to the game’s commercial release from this séance in chambers. Plaintiff violated that order not a wit.

Ummm… hate to go Grammar Inquisition, but it’s ‘whit’, the current wording almost suggests he brainlessly violated the order :)

Yes, I know it’s only context, but I always find this funny in legal documents 😉

PyroHazard ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Funny thing is, if Thompson were to go to jail, he’d likely end up at one of the nice furbished prisons. You know…the ones with the videogame machines.

You mean the white-collar resort jail or Federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison?

The Crusader is really uping his game. I mean, it went from threatening a bunch of webcomic developers to someone who actually holds a lot of power. The realistic scenario in all of this is that he’ll probaly be temporarily suspended from practicing law, or heavy fines will be dished out.

For once I am surprised that Take-Two bit back after all of this time.

By the way, did any of you guys hear about being able to kiss guys in Bully? Oh man, if Jacky gets wind of that, press releases and angry emails will be everywhere like carpet bombs.

Niero says:

Seems like I’ll be back in the courtroom again! A hearing is set at 4pm this Wednesday in the judge’s chambers, I wasn’t able to contact him for more information at this time. I will do my best to attend and bring the scoop.

I haven’t seen the contempt order either, but we did get a copy of his filing to show cause. I don’t want to spam this site, but you know where to find me :)

stubby says:

Wait wait…

Correct me if I’m wrong… THIS is the thing that finally unleashes the whirlwind? No it’s not the indecency that Thompson claims is in video games or the “rising death toll” due to violent video games that finally turns him into the legal terminator. It’s not even the rampant sexual crimes that we now face due to pixelated porn. Nope what finally gets Thompson serious is a threat to his person?

I thought Jack was supposed to be some great crusader protecting us all from the harm that violent and sexual video games could cause? What happened to that? I mean isn’t he supposed to be a hero to the many who have had the misfortune of having their families torn apart by pong? Isn’t this the defender of decency for those who countless lives that have been destroyed by a Pac-attack?

Priorities Jack, you egomaniac.

OldschoolVgamer says:

Sweet jesus GoodRobotUs, you think like me! I think the games industry is suffering from lack of originality purely for the sake of profit. I’ve bitched about the same thing time after time after time.

Anyways, I’d like to see JT in jail but I can’t really see it happening. Because he is a lawyer and thus bad one, a real corrupt, mentally challenged, ambulance chasing snake-in-the-grass, I can’t see him being put in jail considering he’ll more than likely find a way out of a jail sentence anyways as he’ll know the right aspects of the law to get out. That is unless there is enough evidence to keep him from getting out of it. To tell you the truth I can see him at maximum getting hefty fines, counter-suits for harassment, with possible stern warnings about future actions. I can’t wait to see him lose out in his anti-game crusade and bid to fake himself into looking like he’s with the moral majority when he is not.

I can’t wait to see what they are going to do Jackie Boy!

Bissel ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

So he’s threatening the judge? Is that how that’s supposed to read?

Black’s Pocket Dictionary defines Contempt as “2. Conduct that defies the authority or dignity of a court or legislature * Because such conduct interferes with the administration of justice, it is punishable, usu. by fine or imprisonment”
    “direct contempt. A contempt committed in the immediate vicinity of a court; esp., a contempt committed in a judge’s presence”
    “indirect contempt. Contempt that is committed outside of court, as when a party disobeys a court order.”

Salen says:

Censured? Wait, didn’t someone a while back to say that being Censured helped to get people disbarred? Ooooh I hope I remember that correctly, because that would be groovy!

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I think the annoying part is that there are several aspects of several corporations that gamers are not happy with, streaming adverts in games, regurgitated gameplay, over-emphasis on graphics and under-emphasis on lengevity, poor Beta testing etc etc. Computer games HAVE become like Pop music, with about 80% of it coming from a ‘mill’ with similar gameplay and graphics, much like many Pop songs most are incredibly unoriginal and are churned out at high speed purely for profit.

As long as games are continually being used as a scapegoat, the gamers and gaming companies have no real chance to do much about this, so in many ways Jack and his ilk are adding to the problem, not dealing with it.

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Maybe just once Jack should accept the fact that there are no Pharises and he is not Jesus.

Possibly learning the most basic of communication skills would have avoided this, but always assumed we were the ones who were ‘disgusting’, always had his head buried in the sand to his own nature.

Hopefully something like this would open his eyes.

Randalor ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Obviously, it would be to find him in contempt of court… as many times as he could get away with it. And then publicly slander his “good” name by calling him a closet homosexual and a tool of the “evil corperations.”

But then again, he’s Jack, so he’s expecting to get off scott-free with another name to add to his hitlis… I mean… lawsuit.

Terminator44 says:

Ahahahahaha, even if Jack only gets fined or just gets a warning, it will be a huge blow to his credibility (assuming he still has any, of course). It will prove that not even the courts in which he works in don’t support his position or his behavior. I think we are seeing the beginning of the end of his relevance in this debate.

Wolf ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

If he is convicted, him going to jaik is a “worst-case” scenario. Like it was said, “a knowledgeable legal source has told GamePolitics that options such as fines, judicial admonishment or censure are more likely.” But it’s still something.

Instead, what I’m hoping for in the end, is more people, whether they be judicial or corporate, but preferably both, sees this and takes more action against him for his childish tantrums. It doesn’t necessarily have to be legal actions, but just standing up agains him publicly. I think the companies especially should try it, perhaps by saying what exactly is in the game, and proving him wrong on his over-the-top accusations (like him referring to Bully as a “columbine simulator”), or if not prove them wrong, then at least dampen his strategy. While, of course, he’ll say something along the lines of that they’re choosing to hide the most violent material, I think the companies should start to challenge him. Give him a copy, tell him to play it, show evidence (perhaps, preferably, by video) of just how “violent” it is. If the companies show the most violent stuff publicly beforehand, then there would be nothing more to hide, and JT wouldn’t have his claims of them hiding things to rely on, or rely on it at a much lesser strength.

Basically, they should try to predict his actions, and make public moves beforehand, or just come out on straight away, before they are brought into the court. They should fight him with their own strategies, not just with lawyers. I think that could be more of a pain in his ass, than fines or the likes

Brer says:

Well, as Dennis’ source pointed out, jail time for a contempt charge is pretty rare (and caps out at 30 days). As for martyrdom? In his own mind, perhaps, but most people understand that contempt of court is basically the equivalent of getting the sent to the principal for shooting spitballs at the blackboard and pulling on the pigtails of the girl in the next desk over.

Zerodash ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This whole thing could actually embolden him. He likes to think he is some great martyr fighting in the name of his god.

In the end, he will probably get a fine and generally stray away from actual lawsuits in favor of lecturing, etc. His potty mouth will continue unabated, unfortunately.

vansau ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’m sorry, but I totally fail to see how he feels he’s a threatening presence anymore: I mean, he threatens every media group who reports bad things about him with jail time but never follows through. Why in God’s name would one of the most powerful law firms in the country be even the least bit scared of his ranting?

pix ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Its cute that he does not see how much of a failure he is. What is been unleashed? This from a man who gets wipped in court time after time and is pretty much a laughing stock with anyone who knows anything about him.

If he was capable of unleashing anything maybe he would have taken Take 2 down by now, like he promised he would years and years ago.

Sad little man out of his league that just got caught. I pity him.

neoelasticman ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This might just be me, but I think that Thompson is sending way too much of his things to this site. Time and again I’ve seen “Thompson sent us this” or “CC’d us that” or “brought something to our attention”. It seems to me that the only reason he would do that, as well as add those awful dramatic embellishments to his writing, is because he doesn’t want to win so much as see his name “in the paper”, so to speak.

I’m beginning to believe he is mentally unstable and perhaps lacked caring attention in his youth, and now seeks it in an unhealthy way.

dog welder ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

If Jack does go to jail I’ll be contacting The Smoking Gun to give them the heads-up on this. We’ll need pictures of Jack Thompson’s mug shots for posterity.

dog welder ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’m not a lawyer, so I need to ask:

If there’s a motion to find you in contempt of court, is it wise to spew even more blustery rhetoric and insults at the judge and opposing cousel?

gs2005 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

John Bruce Thompson reminds me of a certain storytale wolf…

“I’m going to huff, and puff, and blow your Take Two brick house in…”

pokemaster2185 says:

As much as I want to see him put in jail for his idiocy, I highly doubt it’ll actually happen. Still, getting fined or chewed out by the higher-ups will probably take him down a peg or two.

Siftr says:

1. Dennis is it possible for us to see the entire email?

2. it’s just like jack to say “anyone that tries to stop me from being an egomaniac is breaking the law and I will punish them in a lawsuit!”

[…] According to a report from gaming legislation news site GamePolitics, anti-game lawyer Jack Thompson has himself come under fire from lawyers representing publisher Take-Two Interactive, who have called for Thompson to be held in contempt of court. While it remains unclear as to the exact nature of this request, it most likely stems from comments following Thompson’s most recent failed attempt to prevent the recently released controversial title Bully from being sold in Florida. […]

Kajex ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“Make-out” inpliesheavy sexual actions that aren’t considered really sex- more like extreme snuggling, cuddling and kissing, which isn’t bad at all. Now his beef is that, rather than Jimmy Hopkins going out and getting the girl, he makes his own decisions and find an alternative to women in a guy, and kisses him instead? Discriminatory isn’t the word I’d quite use- unreasonably hateful against anything different from his own views, more like. So it has a kid kissing another boy- The Sims is still Teen rated, despite the fact that they have such a thing in it as well.

dog welder ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Mature Sexual Themes, Mild Language, Realistic Violence, Use of Tobacco and Alcohol

Those are the descriptors on the label of Bully.

There is nothing there that can’t be found in a Rated-PG movie, on prime time television, on radio, or in a variety of books that can all be purchased, watched or listened to by a teenager.

Kajex ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

By the way, that comment, more than anything, only confirms on a freakin’ worldwide scale (If he HAD sent it to every known major news organization) that he is unfit to serve as a lawyer.

GetWellGamers ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Remind me what’s wrong with homosexual *kissing* that would violate a “T” rating? Is homosexuality some kind of illicit sex act by its very nature?

Odd… Jack wants it to be a “Mature” game for having homosexuality in it, but he’s being anything but regarding the subject.

Pardon me, Jack, but your ignorance is showing.

Keaton2008 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Jack Thompson may more than likey use conning, Christian overtones, accusations of a conspiracy, and the Chewbacca Defense to keep himself out.

I don’t think he’ll be thrown in. But it would be a brief sigh of relief if he does. (But that won’t shut him up. Maybe he’ll go mad and write a anti-gamer version of Mien Kampf.)

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Well, rallying against a game for having ‘homosexual’ content is prejudice pure and simple, simply by brazenly admitting that he considers the depiction of homosexuality or experimentation to be in some way ‘illegal’ reveals his level of prejudice to all I think :)

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Sorry, double post, but after all, you’ve been able to have male/male or female/female couples in the Sims 2 and even Fable for a good long time.

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Worrying part is, Jack can hardly eat humble pie and admit he’s out of order after sending an entire series of letters, including barely veiled threats to Ms Vance. And he calls _us_ violently inclined? When you see lawsuits as ‘punches’ (which they are, they are a non-physical way of hurting something – punches for the 21st Century) there can be few people more ‘violent’ than Jack Thompson.

Like the Bully at school who threatens to punch you whenever you don’t get your own way, he threatens to sue you, and the true irony is, he doesn’t even comprehend the comparison.

Look at it this way, if a lawyer in the public eye can lose his grip and start attacking people verbally and legally at every occasion, why is the establishment so surprised that unknown teenagers slip through the cracks and start doing it physically?

Attack Gypsy ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I think Jack is done.

If he loses either of these, even if he doesn’t do a minute in jail, he’s done.

And Jack will simply ramble off into the sunset, never to be heard from again.

Bye Jack!

Phantom says:

I’m wondering if the actual contempt violation stems from Thompson’s vocal complaints about the game review process. He told the Destructoid blogger that a gag order restricted him from talking about what happened in those chambers. Sending complaints to the judge about an insufficient review process, and cross-copying assorted media outlits on those complaints, would seem to violate that edict.

Mnementh2230 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

John Bruce Thompson, perhaps it is time to step back, just for a moment, and consider if perhaps you are wrong.

Lets look at things for a moment – you’re facing 2 possible charges of contempt of court. You’re being investigated for multiple ethics violations by your own BAR association. The law you said would stand up to a constitutional challenge… didn’t. Is it perhaps possible that the rest of the world is right, and you really ARE a crazy mofo? I know it’s difficult to comprehend, but your arguments really are ill-concieved piles that any five-year-old could (and has, ask my nephew) see are wrong.

Seriously, John… I’m telling you this one man to another – it’s time to throw in the towel and seek some professional mental help. Just because you were certified sane quite a few years ago doesn’t not mean that it’s still true today, and sanity doesn’t preclude ALL mental illness.

Just think about it – we know you read this stuff, one way or another. And remember, the first step to getting better is admitting you have a problem. Everyone else sees it, why can’t you?

Kharne ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Solet me get this stright: Since he’s in thouble for flinging filth, and in responce he decides to fling more filth to be used against him?

Wow, the court doesn’t stand a chance, No, really, it’s doomed, because clearly their up against a tactical genious here.

aniki21 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This might put a bit of a cramp on JBT’s judicial bid.

I’d like to be able to shout “Booyah!” about this, but for some reason even after all he’s done to irritate and anger me, schadenfreude about this leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I guess I’d rather see Thompson utterly defested in court, than watch him go to prison, painting himself as the defiant martyr of parental concern taken out by an evil entertainment industry and corrupt judges.

Chuma ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Jail isn’t really the place for him. He’s not a criminal, he’s just a nut-job. I think some degree of professional admonishment is long overdue, but to those thinking of locking him up and throwing away the key, we don’t want this guy to be made a martyr of.

I do wonder exactly what effect a contempt of court conviction would have on the issue or drafting laws though. While you would hope it would awaken politicians eyes to what sort of person JT is, I can’t help but feel it will be ignored much like all the previous attempts at such laws being blocked were :/

Alec says:

I say go ahead and do it. Make a martyr out of him. In the end, will it do any good for his “cause?”

A lawyer that was thrown in jail for contempt? His lawyering career\crusade would be over, I’d think.

FreedomGamer says:

You know who Jack Thompson reminds me of? Scrappy Doo. He keeps making these grandious threats such as “You have until wednesday or I will destroy you!” but he has never really managed to really follow up on any of them.

How many times has he said that he would destroy Take Two/ESRB/Doug Lowestein/etc. He tried, and failed to even “destroy” two webcomic producers.

Hatlore says:

Good riddance, and it’s about time.

For the past few years and more Jack Thompson has tried to make a name for himself disparaging video games, a topic which he is sadly misinformed about. It is the primary responsibilty of the parent to educate and nurture their children in such a manner where even if their children are exposed to popular media, they make the right decisions, regardless of the media. Jack wanders from court to court, trying to wedge his way into every case against video game manufacturers that he can, using bluster and aggravation to have his way. He is not only in contempt of court, he’s in contempt of most people. But also in contempt of several courts where his ironic Bully tactics are concerned.

He probably won’t go to jail, but it would be a refreshing change of pace. What Jack, Hillary, Joe, Bayh, and a score of others fail to realize is that the the generation that grew up on video games is getting older… and we’re starting to vote.

Dustin1986 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

And it’s going to go on like this. Looking at his history of behavior, you can bet things are going to get a lot stranger. It seems as though he’s become even more spiteful than usual lately, so all of this is going to just get worse. A lot of people talk about him losing his license, but I just don’t see it happening. That would be a very dramatic step and that sort of thing is usually only invoked when a lawyer is clearly a criminal. Jack Thompson hasn’t done anything like defraud his own clients, he’s just an ass. I’m guessing Florida Bar rules about being an ass is a bit of a gray area. But who knows? If he becomes increasingly insane something might just happen.

The way that he’s questioning the judg’s ruling is ridiculous. It seems clear that when he walked into that court room he was going to accept only one kind of ruling. I remember when he said that if the judge ruled against him he’d “let it all go”. That’s funny as hell. I’m not surprised he called shenanigans on the judge when things didn’t go his way. He’s completely delusional about the content of this game.

I might have to pick it up too, I’ve heard nothing but good things. People are throwing around “best game in years” and a “triumph”. Have to check it out.

Blitz Fitness ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Mnementh2230 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

We’re not just starting to vote, we ARE voting age now (24 and loving it).

It’s about bloody time, JBT needs to have the wind taken out of his sails with some time in the cooler, to think about what an arse he’d made of himself.

AgnostoTheo ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Happy day! *dance* this is the best news I’ve seen with his name in the headline ever. It’s about time this old windbag got some backlash for being an utter moron. jail time or not, this is going to deflate old JT’s reputation like someone letting the helium out of a balloon. My bet is that he doesn’t even make it to the end of next year without quitting.

and btw. *MORE DANCING*

aniki21 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I don’t mean to be a wet blanket guys, but JBT hasn’t been convicted of anything yet. Blank Rome haven’t even been granted the Show Cause hearing yet.

It’s another question entirely if Friedman will actually find in favour of BR on this one; surely if he thought JBT was in contempt during the hearing, he’d have done something already rather than wait for the opposing counsel to file an Order to Show Cause.

Korax says:

I find ironic that, while JT is known for his constant attempts to steal freedom of speech from others, he is surely one of the greatest abusers of this right. And he talks about how his civil rights are being breached. Now that’s something that really bothers me.

Eric says:

I agree, while it might be fun to have JT sent to jail, lesser punishment is more appropriate. It is far better that he be utterly discredited and his career destroyed then he be made a martyr.

Besides, it so much fun watching him make a fool of himself, and then fall face first into the pavement.

An interesting point that was brought up about this case is that ‘Bully’ is not that violent of a game (no shooting up of schools, sorry JT), but is instead has a positive message about standing up to Bullys. So why would JT want such a thing stopped?

The answer is that JT is on the side of the bullies, because he is one himself. He uses threats of legal action instead of a broken nose, but the principle is the same.

And like most bullies, when someone stands up to him he blusters, and then backs down. And if he chooses to fight someone who can actually fight back, he gets his butt kicked.

Mal says:

Personally, I’d just like to see him have his license revoked. I’ll admit, I do badly want to see him in the hotseat for once, but all he’s been, quite honestly, is an annoyance. A very loud, verbal annoyance, but little more than that. If he goes to jail over this, yes, there is the possibility of him claiming to be “a martyr.” Revoking his license would essentially remove from him his greatest asset; he’s pushed himself around and into things using his status as a lawyer times before, so removing that would leave him just a simple citizen, speaking out about injustices only apparent to him. Defanged and declawed, if you will.
    I could be missing something here, but that’s the way to go, for now at least.

Benji says:

The keen link to the Wikipedia definition of contempt thinks that contempt can occur in court (the kind you see in movies) or out of court (probably the one being dealt with.) Could make sense, as he basically insulted the way the judge handled the Bully hearing. I don’t recall all the specifics of what he said and don’t really care enough to go look, but I do remember him saying how the judge screwed up badly and now will be personally responsible for countless slingshot injuries that will be forthcoming. I’d say that definitely shows disrespect, though whether it’s enough for contempt is a question for someone who knows more about legal things than I do.