Guiness Book Adds Video Game Scores

For the first time in 20 years, the Guiness Book of World Records will once again include video game high scores. In addition to top game achievements, a new section will also profile a Canadian man who holds 7 world-record scores.

The Saskatoon Star Phoenix recently caught up with the elite gamer, 38 year-old Greg Sakundiak. Back in the mid-1980’s, Sakundiak set high score records in Dragon’s Lair, Tag Team Wrestling, and Twin Cobra. As a teenager he save money earned from gathering empty bottles and spent his entire allowance at a local arcade

With the rise in popularity of consoles and the resultant impact on traditional arcades, Sakundiak realised it was time to move on:

It was hard to accept. It was really hard… It was a wake-up call for me to do something with my life. I realized I can’t play games forever.

Sakundiak never lost his love for arcade games though. He eventually became an electrician and purchased several arcade machines for his home. Today he manages SML Entertainment, the largest supplier for the amusement industry in western Canada.

Currently, Sakundiak is pursuing the Holy Grail of arcade game achievement, a perfect score in Pac-Man. That record is currently held by Florida’s Billy Mitchell, who is helping Sakundiak with his training. Mitchell once completed Pac-Man’s first 255 levels perfectly in 6 hours.

Although still a huge fan of video games, Sakundiak prefers the classics:

[Games today] are all about killing, shooting, fighting and drugs.

You can check out a thumbnail of the video game section of the 2007 Guinness Book of World Records here.

-Trying to play Frogger while shoveling through snow drifts, GP correspondent Colin “Jabrwock” McInnes

I’m really impressed with your blog on bowling tips.It’s a great discovery for me to learn more about this great sport.Since being a bowler since 2001 I seem to average about 205 for each bowling league.

I’m learning day by day but, bowler basics is really what most new bowlers are looking for not to mention correcting bowling faults.

Hear are some ,I found at this cool new bowling tips website.

I’m always surprised at how often I see this occur, especially among women bowlers. Don’t let the backswing ever get be- yond shoulder height. Don’t force it to the level pictured here —it’s sure to result in faulty timing.

Get the ball over the foul line; reach out with it. There are two reasons for this problem: either your timing is off, or it is simply a case of your ball not fitting you properly.

Many bowlers I’ve seen seem to do everything well, until they release the ball. Then they go into a poorly executed follow-through. Here’s one example—not keeping down; pulling up at the finish. You can overcome this by keeping your head down and your eyes on the target.

Here’s a problem on the fol-low-through; in fact, it’s no follow-through at all. Be sure to continue the arm on its natural upward motion after the ball has left your hand. Many pro stars continue the motion until their hand reaches the height of their head. Try it. It could be a great help to you.

These are just a few good bowling tips for new bowlers entering the sport.I hope that, I added some value to your blog with these winning at bowling tips and if not that’s ok.I ment no harm!

Just incase your interested in you can visit the site yourself,I hear they have a really cool affiliate program.

hayabusa75 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Good stuff, just one more thing to help legitimize our favorite pastime.

I’ve got nothing but hardcore respect for the record holders. Even though I was fairly young when I was playing the classics, they were so difficult to master that I doubt I’d have any better luck these days than I did as a kid.

Hardest game of the 70’s/80’s to master? I think Defender’s got my vote.

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Heh, interesting, though I feel the urge to point out that video games have always been about shooting and killing, only they do it with better graphics these days, but the ability to eat Power Pills and kill monsters hints more than a little that drugs weren’t a million miles from 80’s games designer’s minds either.

Must admit though, there’s a lot less call for the more complex ‘puzzle solvers’ such as Cholo or Head Over Heels than there used to be.

Konstruct says:

Very cool about gamers being recognized for accomplishments. I mean playing a perfect game of pac-man is probably harder than a perfect game of bowling. I wonder if the highest level of galaga will be in there.

I’d be lying if I said that this article didn’t make me a bit sentimental. Its really disheartening to see arcades dieing out. Its gotten to the point of where I’m designing and planning my own Neo Geo cabinet just to take back some of that history.

Marshie says:

Part of the reason arcades are dying is that the equipment cost is getting more and more prohibitive… Though the main thing is the cost per game these days. The general cost for playing a game has pretty much shot up 400% since I was a kid.

I remember when you could put a single quarter into a machine and play a game. Street Fighter II, Strider, Puzzle Bobble, or even rigs with expensive and unique equipment like the Afterburner/Afterburner II games with the cockpit or Lethal Enforcers with the guns. It never really mattered what you were playing, because you could go into an arcade with five bucks in quarters and have a blast for an hour.

I understand that inflation is a factor, but I also understand that inflation hasn’t gone up 400% in the last twelve to fifteen years.

A Flowers says:

Super! Though it makes me wonder: how the heck do you “set a high score” in Dragon’s Lair? The game only has two settings, win, or die, and if you don’t play a perfect game you don’t beat it, period. Was he the first perfect game?

Or do I have to buy the book to find out? :)

Jotun says:

Good times, good times.

I do admit that I love killing and blasting monsters in computer and video games, especially in the arcade. Sad to see that the arcade’s popularity is sinking, just because the equipment cost is too prohibitive and high.

I suppose great games like The House of the Dead series will come into the consoles and computer (1,2 and 3 has come into computer and video games except for 4 which hasn’t been released into computer and consoles yet)

[…] story No Comments so far Leave a comment RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI Leave a comment Line and paragraph breaks automatic, e-mail address never displayed, HTMLallowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong> […]