SOE, GamePolitics, Jack Thompson in Search for Missing Gamer

If politics makes for strange bedfellows, perhaps the same can be said for GamePolitics.

It doesn’t get any stranger than finding GP, Everquest II publisher Sony Online Entertainment and controversial Miami attorney Jack Thompson all pulling in the same direction.

The unusual story begins on Tuesday, with GP’s coverage of Jacob Pribyl, a missing 20-year-old MMO gamer from Forest Lake, Minnesota.

Desperate for information about their son, Jacob’s parents enlisted the help of Thompson, a longtime nemesis of the video game industry. Although it is unclear what efforts Thompson may have undertaken, late Wednesday afternoon, the attorney e-mailed GP with the following caustic update:

We found the Pribyl boy. He is in Illinois holed up with crazed gamers. We found him because of my going public and good police work. Tell your sycophantic, panting audience that.

Crazed gamers? Sycophantic, panting audience? Whatever. In a follow-up e-mail, Thompson wrote:

He said he is with the gamers he met online.  He is still in Illinois, and he won’t return. Maybe (former ESA president) Doug Lowenstein can talk him home.

At this point the story really gets interesting. About the same time Thompson’s e-mails landed, GP got an urgent message from Andy Zaffron, Senior Vice-president and General Counsel at Sony Online Entertainment.

Andy had seen our initial coverage of the Jacob Pribyl story on Tuesday and was eager to help. I mentioned that Thompson had already claimed the young man had been located, but Andy suggested we call the family to see if he could provide any additional help. With GP conferenced in, Andy dialed the Pribyls.

Debbie Pribyl, Jacob’s mom, answered. It had been a hectic, stressful couple of days for her and the strain could be heard in her voice. Not being a gamer herself, it took a few minutes for us to explain who we were and what information we might be able to offer.

Andy told Mrs. Pribyl that although Jacob wasn’t currently subscribed to any SOE games, customer records showed that in the past he had played some SOE titles. Andy’s team noted that the e-mail address Jacob used for those games was now attached to an account for a game currently in beta testing . The beta account itself, however, was registered to a different gamer from the Chicago area. Not too uncommon, really, since MMO gamers are known to unofficially swap accounts.

With a little legwork, SOE established that the beta account had indeed been loaned to Jacob. SOE was finally able to track down a phone number where the missing man was said to be visiting a female friend he met through online play. GP’s small part in this was to reverse-check the phone number. We came up with an address in a southern Illinois town. This was new information to the Pribyls.

The good news is that the parents told us they had spoken to Jacob Tuesday night and learned he was safe. The missing young man had still not returned home, however, and the only contact info the family had was for a completely different phone number in another Illinois town, not too far away from the one SOE turned up. It’s unclear why this was the case. Perhaps the young man had visited multiple locations. In any case, the Pribyls expressed their thanks to SOE for taking the trouble to gather and pass along the information.

GP: While Andy Zaffron credits GP’s coverage for prompting Sony Online’s efforts to assist the Pribyls, the fact is that SOE did 99.999% of the work. GP was simply gratified to be able to participate in a process that hopefully will be of some assistance to the Pribyls and Jacob.

barto windsong says:

Why are you continuely holding back the posts that you censored from SOE emails?

A fine example of biased moderating……WE dont back JACK here.

Those emails are real…Would you like for me to send you the originals?

Andrew S. Zaffron Says:

January 18th, 2007 at 3:39 pm
    On behalf of Sony Online Entertainment, I’d like to thank Dennis and for the “heads up” on this matter (given the purely local reach of the television interview, we’d have never known of the parents’ concern without, and applaud him for all the time and effort he puts into this site.

I just knew that, somehow and/or somewhere, I’d see or hear a comment like that posted by “Jay” above. I have three responses:

(1) We’re people first: corporate formality concerns are somewhere below that on the list;

(2) Seasoned and sound decision-making is using judgment (taking into account various relevant factors), to make a mature and hopefully correct decision; and

(3) We take privacy concerns very seriously; 99% of the time, I require a subpoena before divulging any customer information to any person or entity. However, SOE’s posted privacy policy provides, among other things, that “We may also disclose any of your personal information to . . . other appropriate third parties . . . as we deem necessary in our sole discretion . . . .”

Considering all of the circumstances here, and as human beings, we deemed it necessary.

Hello fellow gamers, I would like to take a few minutes and address the comments from Andy Zaffron(Mbrace-65 wiz or juzzam the cavaiiar from Quellious I believe or has some tie too).

I have been playing EQ for a long time. I was never one of those high end raiding players but I knew a few of them in RL, especially from Lotus Cult and Vis Maior from the Quellious server. Somewhere I played thought it was funny a few years ago and installed a key logger on the computer I used. They logged on my account and stripped my toon. The gm i talked with gave me all of the info on that toon who was linked to the incident. I found out itwas one of the same people I played beside with. the toon was only banned for a week. I got vocal and was asked to leave the shop which really was not a big deal since I lived 150 miles away at the time. It was a trip that I took once every 3 months to keep my accounts active. Thanks to the system upgrade during SOL basically made my P2 computer unable to play EQ. So I was offline for a while. Then in December 2002, I logged on my account just to check on it. Everything was fine. Within months later, my toons were deleted except for the 1 lvl toons on the different servers. June 2003, I tried to log on the account and pw was changed so customer service verify who I was and reset the pw. In the discussion I found out that Barto(51 lvl bard) had been deleted. They said at the time they could not restored him. I could not understand how someone could have done this. Someone must figured out my pw and hacked my account again. I didnt believe SOE when they said it was a system purge when I still had toons on the account. Our server was going thru some changes our server gm had fired and not replaced quickly. As a matter of fact SOE Customer Service was now in the hands of people a half a world away in India. In 2004, I finally got a hold of our server GM, hornwaggle. He was not much of help just told me the same thing but did refer it to his supervisor, GM Existan.

Benji says:

There’s a saying that describes JT’s viewpoint rather well: If you spend all your time with your head stuck up your ass, everything starts to look pretty crappy. Glad things worked out not disastrously in the end.

Bissel ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

At least he’s found, his parents know where he is and that he isn’t dead somewhere, and he has, apparently, some sort of girlfriend now. Hooray for video games!

Chuma ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

nightwng2000 was spot on. Once the initial relief is over, his parents will probably metophorically kick his arse. He will probably do the whole “I’m 20 years old mom, start treating me that way” which is replied with “go get a friggin job and pay rent then instead of playing WoW all the time then”.

Of course you can substitute WoW for TV and you would cover more 20 somethings, but with TV you dont have a community that is willing to go to the lengths SOE and GP did to find someone safe and sound.

If Jacob Pribyl some how reads this article to see what fuss he’s caused I hope he realises a few things: 1. A quick phone call to say your safe and sound is always a good thing for parents (i’m 27 and they still insist I call them when I’m home from the 300 mile trip to see them). 2. The world is a much smaller place then you first thought, eh? :) 3. WoW eats lives. You’d be better off getting a job and moving out and playing in your spare time. Oh and good luck with the cause of all this mischief 😉

Black Manta ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I wonder if one of the reasons he might be refusing to come home is that he found out his parents were working with JT? It would be interesting to find out if one of his conditions would be he would return once they stopped working with that parasite.

nightwng2000 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’m rushing this because I’m now at work, so I’m sorry if there are spelling/grammar errors.

I thought of this possibility on the way to work, and understand that I am NOT saying this DID happen because we don’t know ALL the facts.

However, while we were considering the various possibilities that he met someone online and wanted an innocent meeting, or that he was lured away by someone that might harm him, or that he may have been a victim having nothing to do with the online game at all, there is another possibility.

AGAIN, I say there’s no evidence this was the case, but it COULD have been true.

It’s very possible that the girl he met online was a minor, he knew it, and he went to meet her for… other reasons. We know these things DO happen. Sometimes, the minor is led to the adult. Sometimes the reverse.

His parents could argue that they saw no signs to be concerned about, but isn’t it always: Foresight: “We don’t see the signs that he’s bad”. Hindsight: “We didn’t recognize the signs that he was bad”.

It’s also possible that this would have been his first attempt. So, yes, it is possible that instead of being the victim, he could have been a predator.

Again, no evidence has been publicized that this was the case. So I’m certainly not going to be stupid and say it was.

But it seems to me that while John Bruce is ranting and raving about the evils of online games, etc, and calling the person(s) that Jacob went to visit “crazed gamers” and making his usual bigoted comments about gamers in general, it’s just as easily probable that he’s actually verbally assaulting a potential victim of a sexual predator (ie, the theoreticcal Jacob mentioned above). Would I think that John Bruce would sink so low as to place playing video games on- or offline as being worse than being the potential victim of a sexual predator? I look to the existing facts, most notably the current Cody Posey case (where John Bruce et al place playing a violent video game as being far worse than being mentally, verbally, physically, and nearly sexually abused) and my answer is: Darn right I wouldn’t put it past him to place playing online games as being worse than being the victim of a sexual predator.

If he doesn’t like that opinion, tough. His actions speak far louder than his tantrums.

NW2K Software

monte' ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

So wait… the parents, on tuesday night, got a call from their son that he was ok and was with illinois, and Jack tells GP on wednesday, the next day, that the guy was Being holed up by gamers in illinois and it was thanks to him going public and his “good police work”… So um, did jack actually do any police work and found out the guy was in illinois on his own, or did the guy’s parents just call up jack after they talked to their son the previous night and jack is just saying what they told him? So far it kinda sounds like the later… Jack basically claiming to have done something when he did nothing at all.

only ones here who deserve credit are SOE, the ones who actually managed to find out exactly where the guy went. What’s far more interesting is the fact that the SOE came to the parents, instead of visa versa, espeically since this issue had nothing to do with them… It’s really rather selfless of them.

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Wow, I was partially right. Just had the software wrong.

He found himself a gamer girl, AND is lined up for a beta release? Score! 😉

Kinda sad that he hadn’t phoned his parents to say what’s up, but then again, he’d only been gone a week… I think his parents overreacted a bit, but so did JT.

So, did his parents hear from the guy directly, or did JT’s “wannabe sleuthing” actually track him down?

Kudos to SOE for helping out!

John ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

20 year old guy went away without telling parents. Why is this a big deal now that he was found alive?

Yes, it is the game industry’s fault that adults do not check in with their parents

Brokenscope ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

It is not a violation of privacy under the EULA that he agreed to. It was at SOE discretion to do so. Don’t like, don’t play their games. In fact boycott any game company that requires a subscription and has the same clause in the EULA.

As they did not start selling this info to the highest bidder, it was WELL within SOEs rights to do this.

Majestic_12_x ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Pribyl boy? Isn’t he 20 years old? Why is Jack referring to him as a boy? As far as I know, after you turn 18 (or are legally emancipated) you’re free to live wherever you want. Didn’t a bunch of people in the 60’s and 70’s hitchhike all over the country? Seeing that this is an isolated case that has been blown out of proportion, I look forward to seeing Jack proclaiming that his “tactics” have “saved the day”. Simply pathetic.

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Wait… according to the article the phone number Jack supposidly “tracked down” was incorrect and SOE was able to get the real phone number as well as find the real town he was staying in.

Yeah, that part confuses me too. It’s not clear if they got his number and location from Jack, or from their son. It’s also not clear who initiated contact, whether the son called them first, or they called him with the info SOE provided…

Namrepus221 says:

How much do you guys think that when the Prybils thank SOE for their help Jack will sue the family because he wants the credit for it as well as a bigger paycheck.

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I mean, how did they find out where he was if the info supposedly from Jack was a) for the wrong town, and b) an incorrect phone number?

Nuiembre ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Congratulations GP and SOE for your participation in searching for the missing man, this was a good deed. As for Mr. Thompson, he continues to show a total lack of respect toward the gaming community.

roger ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The kids 20 years old, he is allowed to make his own dicitions and go out into the world.
    From the missing kid “hey mom and dad guess what? I found a girl my age that shares my interests and whom ive been talking to for 3 years and im in illinois so i just wanted to call and tell you everything is ok and im heading home with her so ill be there tommorrow”

From jack thompson: “We need to stand up and fight! A young man is missing and presumed dead by a bunch of crazed gamers and we must fight back! World of Warcraft is evil and i demand it gets shut down. We have info that his captures are coming here so i want snipers on the roofs to open fire on anyone who doesn’t look like him and just say that it was GTAs fault. Don’t worry its worked before…

Automancer ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

It sounds to me like GamePolitics and SOE did far more (and better) work than Jack Thompson did. So I am giving you guys all of the credit and Jack Thompson can have whatever it was that I flushed down the toilet this morning.

Seriously, good job on helping to find all of this stuff out and that the guy is doing alright. Believe me though we haven’t heard the end of Jack’s grandstanding or self-praise on this matter.

MaskedPixelante ( User Karma: -1 ) says:

Hmm… how about “psychopathic, pantsless lawyer”?

It’s nice to know that he’s safe, so he could probably testify that video games little to do in his disappearance to, as I assume, become a man.

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Like many industries, they do good things and bad things. To be blunt, it’ll take more than this to redeem Sony itself in my eyes, however, from a humanitarian point of view, I applaud SoE, I would probably even applaud Mr Thompson for raising awareness, after all, both he and Sony did it with as much image in mind as for the sake of the young man involved. However, personally, I’d rather back the horse that wanted to find him well and happy in this case.

I suppose this isn’t so much about SoE as it is about people, and finding Jacob was something done by people, not a corporation, I don’t doubt for one moment that, as a person, not as a Sony employee, Zaffron wanted to find Jacob well and not in danger. I honestly wish I could say the same for Thompson, as a 34 year old, no game laws other than censorship really affect me, but Thompsons past record of deception and bottom-feeding in order to advance his own image have truly left me doubting.

I suspect that what was said was ‘I’m staying with someone I met online’. Jack interpreted this as one of those famous ‘Game Dens’, where sleazy men in trench-coats dish out hits in the form of 1 week game-cards for WoW, while ‘Lord Pong’, as his -ahem- sycophants call him gloats in the background.

dog welder ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Grahamr — “Who here can think of a good comeback for “sycophantic, panting audience”?”

“So’s your mom!” always works wonders.

Zerodash ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

There is no doubt in my mind JT is disappointed that this “kid” is alright. I bet he was creaming his pants in anticipation of the lawsuits/interviews that he would conduct about the evils of games. Suck a Bible, JT.

~the1jeffy says:

This is quite a good story. Guy meets girl online, visits, is NOT harmed, and decides to stay. Good, it’s time for a 20 year old to get out on his own. And he and his lady friend are probably humpin’ like rabbits in between marathon gaming sessions (or maybe gaming in between marathon . . . .). Enjoy it while it lasts, Jacob, you’re not 20 forever! Great work all around, for SOE and GP.

Although, a simple phone call could have prevented Jack from ever being involved, so for that, I’d like to smack the guy. “Hey mum!

One question, is it clear that his parents are calling for him to come home, or is that only inferred from Jack’s bile?

nightwng2000 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Based on the previously mentioned definition of sychophanti (“a self-seeking, servile flatterer; fawning parasite. “), I’d just raise an eyebrow and say “this coming from the person who prattles on about the various TV shows, newspapers, etc, that interview you, and the self ascribed title of “Expert” and constantly self back patting you do when you claim a “victory” (which is always gained through lies, deceit, and fraud) and coming from a person that uses the tragedies of other people, families, and communities to further your own personal/religious/political agendas?”

Works for me.

NW2K Software

Kenac says:

Well, it’s a good thing they found him. There’s always those stories about others go missing, and thankfully he turned up alright. It’s also nice that he’s met some other people, and this will perhaps increase his social outings. However, he definitely should’ve told his parents where he was going.

Moving on, as expected, Jack Thompson has pulled yet another political stunt. A hectic attempt to save his spot in the limelight probably. And here I was hoping he could actually move onto sane, logical, reasoning. Or at least refrain from yelling at everyone. Yet, he even fails the latter. Oh well. Thing is, apparently the parents credit SOE, rather then JT. OH SNAP.

Klokwurk says:

How about “How appropriate, you fight like a cow.”

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Par for the course I’m afraid.

Meggie ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’m glad to hear the guy is ok, I thinking the worst (can’t help it, the area I live in doesn’t lend itself to happy endings very often).
    Now if only someone would help Thompson with his delusions of grandure. His emails spat “WE found him because of my going public and good police work….Maybe (former ESA president) Doug Lowenstein can talk him home.” He can only see this situation as ‘what jabs at the industry can I get out of it’ or ‘what credit I can take.’ He seems less happy that Jacob was fine than that he has another stone to throw at gamers.

GamePolitics ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

actually, I didn’t delete it. For some reason the spam filter snagged it and held it in a moderation area. Reading it over I’m not sure what to make of it or why it is relevant to this post…

Seems like a disgreement with SOE over accounts, no?

Brokenscope ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Vote with your wallet then. Don’t buy from sony or SOE. Actually don’t buy games from anyone with a similar clause in the EULA.

Jotun says:

Crazed gamers? According to the Gregorian calendar, this year is 2007. And what a shame, Jack Thompson still won’t learn from his mistakes.

You found the boy already, and how do you know that there are gamers with him? Idiotic asshole. Like the African Proverb says, “When deeds speak, words are nothing.”

thefremen says:

This just goes to show that heterosexual relationships are the work of satan! If the young man had a normal healthy interest in other men he would have found someone near him. Or better yet, he would have satisfied his lust with several gigs of yaoi.

Instead, he went waaaaaaaaaaay out of his way because of his insane desire to dive into some female genetalia.

[…] A couple of days ago, wrote about a family that has hired Jack Thompson, the gaming world’s favorite “attorney”, after their son disappeared. The reason for hiring Jack? He played a lot of games online, including WoW and Lineage. It is always sad when young people disappear, and I feel with the family, but was that really the rational choice? Jack Thompson has his own agenda, and I doubt that he is actually in it to help anyone but himself. But then, all was explained when GamePolitics, together with SOE, managed to track the boy down. And oh, we are all panting and sycophantic. Just so you know. […]

Dedre ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Oh well, just glad to know he’s okay.

Pretty nifty that so many different facets got involved to sleuth it out and get an answer…
    …now if only the group can “form blazing sword!”

Daniel says:

This is a publicity stunt for Jack Thompson and that’s why he is involved in this thing. He couldn’t care less about doing anything to help a gamer. He is a fraud and is attacking the video game industry by blaming the disappearance on the games. How is he suppose to help with this anyway?

Geekwad says:

I’m glad Sony made sure it was an emergency. I mean, I’m SURE they made sure it was an emergency, even though its never stated. They must have somehow known it was not just some jealous girlfriend posing as someone’s mother. Or a collection agency. Or a private detective. Or a bored kid.

AbsumZer0 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

So he’s a) safe b) found a young woman who shares his interests and c) finally out of the house. About the only thing that could make this any better is if he makes a statement to the press condemning Jack Thompson.

kurisu7885 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“Pribyl boy? Isn’t he 20 years old? Why is Jack referring to him as a boy?”

You forget, according to Thompson no one over 15 touches a video game console controller, or a PC keyboard and mouse for anything other than work

@Andrew S. Zaffron

Welcome to the boards Mr Zaffron, cool name by the way. And thansk for shedding some light on the issue.

@Jythie Sadly, I think you could be right on that. I know I was secretive about my first girlfriend for a good long time until I told my parents, and she was an online girlfriend. My dad immediately took the “she’s probably some old rapist” road, which told me how much he really knew, but my mom embraced the idea and said if I wanted to meet her, I was within my rights to find a way. We, never got to meet, but I guess I made my point. How I miss her…..

Chris H. says:

I don’t understand why they seem so desperate to have him come back home. He has found like-minded people, it seems he willingly traveled there. Where is the problem?
    I (as a parent) understand the desire to know where your children are (grown or not), but this “boy” is really an adult. Does he have some mental defeciency that has not been reported; which makes it impossible for him to make his own decisions?

Gray17 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I am relieved to hear that it’s turned out that he was visiting friends. He really should have let his parents know that he was ok sooner, but that’s a matter for the three of them.

It’s a pity that Jack is downplaying pretty much everyone else’s role, since his only contribution was likely just raising the profile of the case enough that people that could actually do something like Sony took notice.

Related to that, whatever else I think of Sony, I’m completely comfortable with their use of personal information in this case. Helping family and authorities track down someone that’s been missing for a week is as valid a use for personal information outside of billing purposes as you can get. If the person is a minor, then they need to be brought home. If the kid ran away due to abuse, then the solution is to get the authorities working on that, not to leave the child to fend for themselves. If the person is an adult, then the authorities need to know that no crime has been committed. Once they’ve ascertained that the person is where they are of their own free will, there isn’t anything they can do to make the person return to where they were.

Anyways, once again I’m glad Jacob is ok. I hope he’s enjoying his trip, and that he and his parents get things worked out.

PHOENIXZERO ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

You know what I think is sad?

If Jack had nothing to do with this, this news would have a fraction of the comments that it does, just like almost every other non-Jack related story.

Father Time ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Well . . . i don’t know what to say I’m glad he’s found and safe but i’m shocked that this story ended so quickly.

In other news (sorry but I don’t know how to e-mail you and tell you).

Tom Fulp the maker of Castle Crashers (and newgrounds) has decided to pull out of slamdance over the controversy of Super Columbine Massacre.

Here’s a link (and a discussion for those of you who want the flame the guys thinking this was a bad move).

Kobra ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Talk about the ultimate cockblock: global media coverage.

There are so many things about this that are just plain stupid, most of which falls on He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named’s shoulders.

Arion ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Same here. But i find his iconic status, not from his achievements (or lack of), but from the very crowd that loathes him , very fascinating.

Arion ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

that’s because people centered on JT as the main point of the story, when he was really just a side note.

Hate is a form of love (the obsession and acceptance he is part of thier world), so many gamers love JT.

Christine says:

I’m glad he was found and that gaming companies helped. That speaks volumes for the gaming industry. What could have avoided all of this, is if the gamer had told someone where he was going and for how long. Especially if you have an overprotective parent.

LightWarrior ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I don’t know if it’s been said already.

But I can see and understand how Jack was probably hoping for a poor outcome to capitalize on.

That you are all saying of course.

But remember that guy’s folks reportedly went to HIM not Jack going to them.

I don’t know if that changes any facts but I suppose that doesn’t change wheather Jack was hoping to take advantage of it anyway.

dog welder ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

So, in Jack’s mind “girl someone met online” = “crazed gamers.”

Nice one, Jack!

I’m glad this guy is okay, but he’s also 20 years old. He’s an adult. He’s allowed to do what he wants, when he wants, and go where he wants. Not informing loved ones was irresponsible, but I can say I don’t check in with my parents when I’m travelling.

Duck says:

You know, when I first read this I was thinking this was insane. That a kid had run away from home and was now refusing to return.

Then I reread it and realized that this ‘boy’ was a legal adult with full ability to go anywhere he bloody well wished. Now, I gotta admit the kids an ass for at least not writing a note but I don’t know what his home life is like either.

Grats to him on finding a girl though.

FreedomGamer says:

Uh, so other than the fact that the two met on a game (which in this story would be interchangable with any other communication media), what does this actually have to do with the game itself?

Now Jack thinks that games hypnotise people into running away? Yeah, I’d like to see Jack prove that in a court of law.

Correlation doesn’t equal causality.

Heather says:

With the way Thompson hates games, it makes you wonder if he used to play them maybe feel in love with w wonderful wood elf. Went to meet her in RL and it turned out this wonderful girl was in reality Bob the garbage man. Maybe sony could look in thier records and violate his privacy and let us know….seems they dont have a issue doing that.

MaskedPixelante ( User Karma: -1 ) says:

Wait wait wait… so Jack Thompson was lying to further his career? And this is the proof we needed? I’d say I was shocked if Jack lying was actually news

Siftr says:

Thompson is a worthless psychotic to begin with, and I don’t see any police work there, I see tracking of MMO accounts.

But of course that’s par for Jack. I’m not trying to bash him, it just comes unconsciously for me now.

He’s become the little elf that does comedic acts in the background while trying to look important.

-Jes- says:

“- where the missing man was said to be visiting a female friend he met through online play.”

Do I detect Romance on the ‘tubes’?! 😉

This doesn’t come off as surprising though. Young man knows someone and wants to visit, but don’t want to give a full 30-page confession to his parents… Easy way out? don’t tell ’em. Of course, not advisable unless you know the people in question, but I digress…

Amen. After all, it’s nice to just get out and travel around once in a while.

Oh, and who’d have thunk JT would’ve spouted crazy and attacking ramblings… 😉

nightwng2000 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

In re: Jacob and his parents:
    Mom and dad, breathe a sigh of relief, and when you see him, give him a great big hug that he’s safe…
    Then kick him in the arse really good for not respecting you enough to say “Hey, mom and dad! While playing a fictional game online and chatting with real people, I met this girl online. I think I wanna take a risk, go out, and go to meet her. I’ll be back… or not. But, hey, ya wanted me to do something more than play games.” Yeah, it’s always a risk to go meet people you meet online. Sometimes it works out.

As to Andy and team:
    Good work. I’m glad things worked out and I’m proud that you folks offered your help where you could. Am I bothered by privacy issues? Not really. I think it was for a good reason. Just don’t let anyone abuse your kindness. :)

As to John Bruce:
    That bigoted piece of gutter trash with no honor, no ethics, and no value to the human species can go sit and spin.

NW2K Software

kurisu7885 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“Man I’d hate to be that guy right now. You know his mom is going to kill him.”

Probably too relieved to put up much of a fuss about it.

And I am not surprised at what Jack said, well, partly, It sounded like he was trying to get the parents to think their son was already dead at the hands of online gamers, hell, Jack seemed to be praying for the man’s death so he could make some money. This is, just, sickening….

However, I am glad the guy is alright and likely meeting the girl of his dreams.

hayabusa75 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Heh, I couldn’t have asked for a better outcome. I just hope the human stain doesn’t get to soak up any of the credit.

Oh wait, hold on…

*pant, pant*

There, almost forgot.

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Well, she could be the girl of his nightmares, just because she’s a gamer, it doesn’t make her perfect, though it’s pretty close 😉

Seriously though, from his behaviour it would have appeared that he did have a bit of an addiction with MMO’s but if he was courting a girl, then that actually explains a great deal of his behaviour up to that point, most boys will turn very very secretive with regards to their parents at that stage of their life, and when you are young, you can never spend too much time together, whether it be online or offline.

In many ways, oddly enough, this might be an interesting example of how jumping to the worst possible conclusion from the evidence available can provide completely the wrong image of events. Basically, it would be interesting to see if this whole case turned out to be the Video Game debate in a nutshell.

Freekill says:

sycophantic….lets see says….”a self-seeking, servile flatterer; fawning parasite”

Though I can’t say people aren’t just naturally self-seeking and GP-goers are no different, I don’t believe gamers as a whole are generally willing to kiss the ass of others in order to make them think better of us. If that were the case we wouldn’t be complaining about other people all the time.

Also sycophantic is a cool word. I wonder how long it took Jack to find it. What word would he have chosen if he had to actually SAY the word in person? Can he even pronounce it? It is one of those words you use in an English paper to make yourself sound more sophisticated, but in the end you just sound like an ass with a thesaurus.

Black Manta ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I agree with Goodrobotus. If somebody died from this, JT would have gotten more fuel for his crusade. Thank gods nobody did. And while he’s trying to spin this, the fact that he’s alive and with friends (the “crazed gamers”) makes him look ridiculous. Considering he’s 20 and technically an adult (although legally it seems the space between 18 and 21 seems to be kind of a gray area), I’m sure he already knows who JT is, will tell his parents all about him, and then turn around and tell him to fuck off.

BearDogg-X says:

“Sycophantic” best describes Jacky Boy, so it’s further proof that Jack is talking about himself when describing gamers or talking about Lowenstein or other pro-game people.

Glad to see the dude’s OK.

AgnostoTheo ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Alright, Mr. Thompson, I’ve seen enough.

While we all appreciate what MINOR assistance you may have been in finding Jacob Pribyl, I find it remarkable tonote that you felt obligated to insult the gaming community as a whole in your little mission of charity.

Time and again I’ve seen you call us retarded, idiots, and morons. Today you’ve even bothered to dig through your vocabulary and label us all as sycophants. In the past you’ve even gone so far as to allude that we are all crazed, school shooting, drug-dealing murderers. You, sir, are a disgrace to your profession, your state, and humanity as a whole.

While you may find it nessecary to sling mud into the eyes of the videogame community, you will quickly find that most of us hold ourselves to a higher standard, rather than stoop to tossing insults through your ever so loving ‘press releases’. You may want to play at the role of Moral Crusader, but if you don’t have the testicular fortitude to communicate with us in a dignified, respectable manner, then you may as well crawl back into whatever little hellhole that spawned you and be SILENT.

We gamers are a community, with each others interest and health in mind, and no matter what insults roll off that forked tounge of yours, Jack Thompson, there is NOTHING you can do about it.

I am Tad Aaron DeMartelaere and I am a 21-year-old, College attending, Gamer. And I defy you with all that I am, Jack.

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Depending on how you look at it, technically he did tell them. They were the ones who drove him to meet this person at his school. So they knew he was visiting a “friend” at least.

Granted he could have called after a few days, but he’s 20.

I’m glad the parents realised that a grandstanding lawyer got them nowhere, and appealing to the gaming community got them proper contact info. Makes JT look pretty useless.

Althrun says:

That this was all for a girl makes so much sense now. Considering how his parents reacted to finding him missing, and immediately blaming games for it, they probably would have scoffed at the possibility that two people can meet in an online game and decide to go further with it. If he felt that was the case, I don’t particularly blame him for not getting his parents involved.

Brokenscope ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Lucky lad. Finally got the hell out of his basement. As much as he should have told his parents, I hate to think how his parents would have reacted. I don’t think this kid has a car. So I doubt they would have taken them to school that day. I know how my mom acts and she knows where I am at college.

The way he had been babied, I know his parents would have tried to prevent him from going. In there mind he is still a child without the ability to fend for himself. He should have called after the fact.

Oh hell. I applaud him for taking that big a step. I really hope this girl was worth it though. On second thought he is pretty lucky that her real name wasn’t bubba.

Holed UP?!?

Was there a 36 hour swat standoff? Were the in a compound 100 miles outside of town? Were they beating him? Was he being tortured? Or were they just having some non fucking puritanical fun.

Oh wait. This is a JT email. Reason has no place in or around them.

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

What’s funny is that young adults have been moving out of their parents and into digs with friends who have similar interests for years. Had Jacob simply moved in with some buddies from the School football team, nobody would raise an eyebrow, even if he’d moved in with some guys from his D&D group, anyone who started shouting ‘Coven’ or the like what only be met by widespread cynicism.

Thompson tries to make it sound like he’d moved into a heroin den or something, which fits his own self-serving view of the world but is, when held in the light of day, a complete fabrication on his part.

KTP ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Wow, so GP readers pretty much called it when they said this was most likely due to him finding a girl. This really doesn’t seem to be about video games at all once you get down to it. Sounds like a guy who got babied by his parents growing up, never had any room to become independant so he meets a girl online which gives him enough ambition to break away from his overbearing parents. Jack probably really is bummed that there wasn’t a body count. Even sounds like he tried to spin the story by claiming the guy was held up with a bunch of insane gamers. I’d hate to think of the worry Thompson caused the parents by spitting out his twisted views on gaming/gamers. Probably had them convinced that their son was most likely in some condemnded building, playing GTA on a TV and PS2 powered by a back-up generator, as they drew up plans on how they’d blow up a shelter for puppies suffering from cancer. The guy wasn’t in any danger and all this could’ve been prevented if he had just called his parents. He wasn’t saved by anyone. Man I’d hate to be that guy right now. You know his mom is going to kill him.

Timbo says:

Hooray, GP’s good deed for the day! 😉

Good to hear that the missing guy is apparently fine, and unsurprising to hear that Jack and reality are still firmly out of touch with each other.

“He is in Illinois holed up with crazed gamers”? “Maybe Doug Lowenstein can talk him home”? Next thing we know Jack will be legislating mandatory wearing of tinfoil hats to thwart the evil game companies in their devious bid to beam unpure thoughts into our heads via satellite.

Jotun says:

To GoodRobotUs,

I agree with you, sir. I told everyone else before, Jack Thompson is not a man of peace nor a man of God, he is a man of hatred and himself. All he do is only care about himself and not about others safety.

I tell you, hating video games and gamers like us will defintely won’t bring back the dead ones on Columbine and Dawson College shooting. What you can do now is to cherish everyday either yesterday, today or tomorrow, value your family and those around you whom you loved is alive.

Choose, either apologize, learn from mistakes and carry on your life or you can, continue to… satisfy your thirst of obsession.

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Whilst I’m glad he’s been located, and really think he could have at least told his parents what was going on, he IS a 20 year old man and capable of making his own decisions.

Personally, I think JT screwed up…again. What he wanted was to find the poor lad dead in a gutter somewhere so he could try and sue someone for it, as it is, all he’s been left with is a perfectly legal, if somewhat inconsiderate young man.

Not surprising he’d lash out at all and sundry, rather than simply be pleased the boy was still alive.

Shoehorn O'Plenty ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

What was it that Mr. Thompson said in his shameful and insensitive post on the MGS forum where the young man tragically took his own life?

“The playing of these video games is masturbatory activity, meaning senseless self-stimulation……….All of you gamers need to put down the controllers and get a life.”

Sounds like this is just what this guy did. Maybe he was taking Thompson’s advice, making HIM responsible!

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Remember, this was not a child. Don’t confuse this with that kid who was found after being kidnapped. He was tracked down with his online profile.

This was a 20 year old MAN living in his parents basement who met up with a friend he met online, and spent a week at her place without calling home to say where he was.

Granted it could have been worse, but honestly, hands up all adults who call their mommy every few days to tell her where they are. This was blown way out of proportion.

AttackGypsy ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Ok, take this with a grain of salt. It comes from someone who has had a kid missing.

Who gives a fuck if Jack Thompson blows his horn. The child is safe. That is ALL that matters. Nothing else does. Not Jack Thompson, not Sony, nothing.

And big time props to SOE. They really showed that they care. They may have taken some hits recently, but this was going above and beyond corporate policies.

From someone who has had a child lost, Thank You SOE!

Straydawg says:

What kid are we talking about here….. He is 20 years old and he moved out of his house. I’m proud of him. I had been in the Marine Coprs for 2 years at that age. I know young MEN that are younger than him that are fighting a war right now. Prehaps Jack should try to find them as well. What a loser.

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

True, and I won’t deny that he was a bit of a jerk for not telling them, especially since he’s living with them. And I won’t begrudge them for being worried. What disappoints me was their going to JT and the media after he’d been gone a week after they drove him to meet someone.

My guess is somewhere in there, he dropped that he was going to go visit. Did he pack a bag, or just leave with nothing but the clothes on his back? The guy lives with his parents, but doesn’t talk to them at all about what’s going on in his life? You’d think he’d be happy to tell them he’s met someone…

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Probably not unless it’s a widely publicized media story about you missing… A lawsuit would have difficulty establishing that this wasn’t a special case.

I can see some concerns, but I doubt SOE would get slapped for this.

Meggie ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Even at 20, he’s the Pribyls’ child. You’re never too old to have your parents worry about you, it’s their job to do that. They’ll still be considered about your welfare when you’re an adult with kids of your own.
    Either way, the real sickening part is Thompson feeling it’s a priority to email a gaming website with critics than it is to keep up communications with the family who sought his help.

geekwad says:

I was confused, I thought this was the kid that went missing and showed up four years later. This is just some adult who didn’t tell his folks he was going out of town. And Sony is using his billing records to hunt him down?! Scary!

Brokenscope ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Did they give away credit info?
    Did they give away things that could be used to steal someone identity?
    Did they release it to the public?

They gave a phone number to his parents. Only his parents. The people he lived with.

No lawsuit.

No they did this with a reason. If someone randomly calls up they won’t give this information out.

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I thought this was the kid that went missing and showed up four years later.

You’re thinking this story, about the kidnapped kid who had an Xbox Live profile that led to his rescue.

This is just some Sony employees hearing that his parent were freaking out about him being missing for a week, and gave them a phone number to contact him. After that, you just use reverse lookup in the phone book to find the name/address…

Verbinator ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Michael James Nock

I think JT takes the same stance as your neighbor (and apparently Jacob’s parents), unwilling to acknowledge a change in the dynamics of human communication has occured. People make real friendships and begin romances through communication on forums, IRC, email, dating services, etc. with people they may not meet face to face (in the case of friends). Friends I never met in real life helped me through a divorce. I met my wife through an online dating service. I’ve deepened real life relationships with people I play games with online. I communicate more through the written word with people I never meet than I ever do over the phone with people.

I may be a conservative, but I don’t fear change. I just discriminate (in the proper use of the word) between change that is good and change that is not good.

Sigma 7 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

It’s not a violation of privacy, period. Aside from Sony already requiring such information (e.g. for Credit Card billing – any chargeback that doesn’t meet both AVS and CVV2 is expensive), there is a genuine belief of an emergancy situation. Trying to restrict Sony from helping out is no different than allowing such situations to grow worse.

Usually, when a person disappears unannounced, it may either be:
    – A standard runaway
    – A kidnapping
    – or the death of the individual

#2 and #3 usually has a sudden disappearance, where the user is only last known at a specific location. Sometimes such information doesn’t help directly, but when combined with other events, can give at least knowledge of what happened before the incident.

#1 may have information indicating that it is a runaway – for example, the user makes postings on the message board complaining about his family life. In cases like these, Sony can disclose these postings in question to the family, but could potentially take a risk by disclosing more information to the family.

If the user so-desired, he could easily look for assistance in tossing his old identity. There are organizations available that help hide people from abusive spouses and relatives, by assigning new identities, locating some low-scale jobs, etc.

@Doctor Proctor

If I’m understanding the timeline right, did Jack Thompson take the time to taunt you with an e-mail BEFORE he told the family where their son was?

Probably not. It *sounds like* before SOE tracked him down, he called from a different location, telling them he was ok. That was likely the “we found him” email JT sent. But then he moved on to his current location (the next town over it sounds like), and that was the number SOE gave his parents.

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

True. To dismiss them completely though, is rather insensitive, and I ask those who do to ask themselves why they would treat someone he met at a party or through school any differently.

Thanks for your thoughts and help! Hopefully Jacob’s parents have changed their outlook of gaming companies. Or at least taken a dimmer view of JT’s BS…

Doctor Proctor ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Andrew S. Zaffron ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Michael James Nock says:

Good answer. The problem I can hear coming is that you normally become penpals with people you have already met in a different context. Online, I know/talk to several people I’ve never seen anywhere but that website.

Verbinator ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Nice work to all involved in locating Jacob and getting him back in touch with his parents. Next step should be discussions between Jacob and his parents about what the boundaries are for a relationship between a young adult and his parents. May want to involve a couselor or therapist in that discussion.

Moving on.

What JT said and/or wrote about Jacobs friends sounds like a case of slander, libel, and defamation of character. It’s one thing to defame high profile public figures in business and entertainment, it’s another to attack private citizens without cause. Maybe there’s an attorney in Illinois as hungry for some attention as JT is who will take the case.

SirGhostly ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Uhm, am I getting this right. This “kid” or “boy” is a 20 year old adult and he was visiting a female “friend”? Nothing like trying to get laid only to have your parents declare you “missing”, have SOE track you down, and having your sex life sprayed across the Internet. So much for that relationship.

Oh, did I mention having Jack Thompson refer to the young man like he was a prepubescent youth?

At any rate, perhaps Jack should start crusading for no premarital sex and the “two feet on the floor” rule.

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

In the words of a fairly close neighbour of mine “They’re not real people. They’re just a load of numbers on your screen”. His parents do sound like they think like that.

That’s true. I’ve heard that before. My usual response is “what are penpals then, just a load of letters on a paper?”

Andy says,

The Gms spent 2 days changing the info back where my Home phone was published by this “crazed” gamer. Maybe you took action against his account after the first “my bad” then I might have some respect for you. I did nt appreciate the way you talked down(politely told me to get a life) to me when I tried to email you with my problem. I am sure you dont talk to Jack that way.

Sound decision making after two days of editing his profile multiple times where it showed my home number. I am not surprise that the GMS did nt get tired of it and suspend him. THey were using him to catch big fish so they had to protect their NARC. I had to change my phone number because of this.

Really? Is that right? I know for a fact he was never banned nor suspend because of it. Maybe I need to supoena my world file from EQ and take a look?

How many times they does someone have to publish someone’s phone number where it can be viewed by anyone who clicks the profile? GMs spent two days changing the info back?

I am thinking of sueing SOE because of this action. CS STAFF has been told not to commute with me about any of these issues. Andy Zaffron no longer returns my emails nor his staff. John has been quiet as a church mouse.

Nemnoc’s guildmates got up a petition to blackball me from the server Last I heard there were over 90 names on the petition. Dimencia, aka GM Brenlo, said to me as a player how could 90 people be so wrong. Who going to pay the light bill if we ban them?

I have hard proof like screenshots and chat logs about the harrassment I have recieved from the beginning.

I may not agree with everything Jack stands for or the way he goes about it, but among certain legal circles he gets things notice. Me as a station player has no rights because I dont have a law degree but I know when wrong is wrong. Andy talked down(basically told me to get a life) to me as a player for more than 7 years I have support their product. It takes money to fight injustice.

So you going to repost that captured post again moderator?

Pixelantes Anonymous ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

If nothing, this case shows, yet again, that Thumper will go to any lengths to exploit any situation to his benefit.

Here’s a quote that fits perfectly:

You have done enough. Have you no sense of decency sir, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency?

Except that I wouldn’t call Thumper a sir.

Talk about parasites, indeed. What a waste of airspace he is.

Muetank ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“SOE was finally able to track down a phone number where the missing man was said to be visiting a female friend he met through online play.”

(in my steven colbert voice)
    WE CALLED IT! Some commenters on here said he would be off with some girl somewhere and they were right. Also big ups to the SoE for there help finding the kid. Also lets have a big hand to JT for, yet again, bringing yet another smile to everyones face with his misguided ranting and raving.
    *golf clap*

Jythie says:

And Sony is using his billing records to hunt him down?! Scary!

I think you touched on something here that I have not heard anyone bring up yet. While everyone is caught up in the feel good ‘yay! the concerned parents found their beloved son!’ and no one really stopped to consider the possible flip side.

As one who has known people who get stuck in a home-situation (sometimes into adulthood) with abusive parents… there are some damn good reasons why the person might not have wanted to be found. Flip the gender and I think most of us can think of at least one case of parents who would not let their daughter be ‘on her own’ even into adulthood,.. watching over her ever social interaction, not letting her make her own relationship choices, making sure she is utterly dependent on them for support till she can be placed with an appropriate husband.

Hypothetical example – ok, so it is now known that he was going to see a female friend. Alone. Who he is not married to. Fundie parents might have SERIOUS issues with that and would have moved to stop such a visit, possibly punishing him for acting against their will. Or harrasing him where he is now. (as an example, my SO’s family has sent members of the local branch of their church to our doorstep to ‘check in on her’, which while they are nice people it is still a bit unsettling)

So Sony seems to have done a ‘good deed’, but in a way they took the parents word on things and potentially stuck themselves into internal family matters, which depending on information none of us have could make life very unpleasant for the son in question.

Nemnoc got pissy with me cause someone I know gave him an account to use after his account was taken away or suspend a month earlier. I considered nemnoc a friend at the time and went to bat for him trying to get the account back and even filed a police report even though it was really between him and jared.

Nemnoc stil pissed published my home phone with some descriptive words inside the game on his player profile as a way of trying to get back at me. Every time he did it, The gm changed the info. He was never suspend nor ban for these actions. He did multiple times. I had to change my number because of it. I believe Nemnoc had some ties to SOE. The last Gm that was involved in the investigation came after me and after my toon. SOE gave me a free name changes and server transfer after I threathen to call Jack on them. But then Management linked my new toons names on the new server. Management accused me of being a cheat and threathen to strip my account on April fools day. I was not amused.

Michael James Nock says:

Does anyone know exactly how JT got involved? (Who contacted who first?)

@ Jabrwock
    “You’d think he’d be happy to tell them he’s met someone…”

You mean someone who he’s never met apart from on t3h 3vil interw3bz?

Daiv says:

Heya, i’m from the Gucomics community.

I basically did the same thing. Except I said “Mum, Dad, going to Scotland for a week or so. See you when i get back” and buggered off on a long trip.
    Also, this is no ordinary ‘kid’ or ‘child’ he is a 20 year old, fully grown Man. JT completely blew this out of proportion.
    His comments against gamers are discraceful and a public apology is in order I think. Either that or a proverbial slap.

Lets sum up. Man goes to ‘meet a friend’. He doesn’t contact his parents and they flip out. Idiot lawyer gets involved and blows everything out of proportion. Large gaming community help locate him. They discover he’s with ‘friends’ and completely fine. He may even now have a girlfriend.
    Idiot Lawyer discovers, well. Nothing.

One of those things that is just stupid for being brought to anyones attention. If this didn’t have that pathetic excuse for a Legal person it wouldn’t have the press coverage as it has had so far.

Pardon any grammar or spelling. I’m rather knackered and want my bed!

Daiv says:

Come to think of it. I was actually younger than he was when I went galavanting accross the UK.
    Oh and my friends in Scotland? We’re good friends and visit each other every year.