Watch Georgia Attorney General’s ESRB T.V. Spot

Recently, a certain high-profile critic of video games accused Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff of being in league with the video game industry.

The attack was based on Shurtleff’s participation in a 2006 public service T.V. spot intended to help parents understand the ESRB ratings.

But Shurtleff, who has on occasion been a critic of video game violence, is not the only state attorney general to appear in this type of public service announcement (PSA).

As reported by GamePolitics last August, Georgia’s Thurbert Baker (left) also appeared in such a commercial. Baker’s spot can be seen on the ESRB website.

nightwng2000 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Give ’em time, give ’em time.
    The demand for this AG’s impeachment will come before too long. Anyone who doesn’t follow the dictates of the “critic” has committed criminal acts and should be removed from office. Just look at the articles and letters from the “critic” regarding the Utah AG for proof.

NW2K Software

Terminator44 says:

“Is your flash plugin up to date? It’s a flash video and those always give me trouble at work because the plugin isn’t fully up to date on linux…”

That’s probably it. I recently had my laptop reformatted, so most of the non-essential programs on it went bye-bye. That must have included my flash player. Nethertheless, I think I’ll pass on that vid. I’m trying to cut down on downloads.

GamePolitics ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Terminator – this is from the ESRB:

Hey Dennis,

Here’s some more detail that will hopefully help:

The custom media player was built in Flash 8 and so the issue is probably an old or non-existent version of Flash. There is a Flash detect in the file that will direct most users to an updated version of Flash or let them know that they need Flash – however some customized browser configurations will not allow the detection (cookies turned off could be a problem).

Terminator44 says:

Thanks for asking them to help me with the video. Like I said in my last post, I’m not really bummed over it. Frankly, I think missing that spot entirely is better than having my computer running at a snail’s pace again.

Daniel says:

I hope that violent video games stop being used as scapegoats. They are not guilty of anything and they should never be attacked. Shurtleff is on the wrong side of the issue and I want to ask all of you something. Do you all think that violent video games make people violent? If you agree that they don’t, then why are you against people of all ages playing violent video games? If it doesn’t cause violence at all, then who cares who plays it? I get the idea that some of you are saying that, for the most part, they don’t, but sometimes, they do cause violence in the real world.

You all sometimes come off as mostly in favor of violent video games, but also a little bit in agreement with anti-game activists. Please tell me what you all think and where you stand on this issue.

Brokenscope ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

What in sam hell are you talking about Daniel? What the hell? How is the Utah AG on the wrong side of the issue? He has his opinions and he is doing what he knows is constitutional

WTF did you find one of your old posts and just copy and paste it? For fucks sake.

Unless you have something to add about this man, or the PSA, don’t fill the news post with your non sensible gibberish.

On topic.

Yes, I did vote for this guy. Glad I did now.

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Also don’t forget to click “:30 Attorney Gen. Baker, Georgia” on the left hand side. :)

ZippyDSMlee says:

its the “Watch Utah A.G.’s Public Service TV Spot on ESRB Ratings” spot so dail back if the li not working,you can always search for it on youtube .

gameclucks says:

Brokenscope: copy and paste — I had the same thought. Still laughing at that.

AG Shurtleff is a hero for trying to deflect his state’s taxpayers from the burden of another futile court case. He’s a rare voice of reason in the debate.

I’ve said it before: I wonder if that man has any designs on the judiciary, because he sure doesn’t spew the rhetoric of a typical politician. If AG Baker is anywhere near the same page, maybe Georgia’s legislature can avoid wasting dollars on an unconstitutional law, and spend the money on something more important, like that state’s school system.

Brokenscope ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Hmmm…. I think I voted for this guy. I think……. time to go find my copy of my mail in ballot.

Then again Ga might not elect AGs…..

Curse my lack of a television.