Guilty! Former Take-Two Boss Cops a Plea on Stock Option Charges

February 14, 2007 -
Reuters is reporting that former Take-Two CEO Ryan Brant entered a guilty plea today on charges that he manipulated stock options.

Brant will pay $7.3 million to settle cases brought by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and Manhattan District Attorney's office. In a statement, Brant said:
I am deeply sorry for my role in the inappropriate manner Take-Two granted incentive stock options. I accept responsibility for my actions, and apologize to the company's shareholders.

Business Week has more, including word that Brant, who could have received a four-year prison sentence for his crimes, will likely receive probation when he is sentenced in August.

Last month Take-Two announced the results of an internal investigation which revealed that Brant, who left the company in October, had manipulated options.

GamePolitics has learned that the Manhattan D.A. will be holding a press conference at noon today. More details should be forthcoming at that time.

Comments

Well, I haven't paid too much attention to any news on this front from Take-Two, but man, this is really not what they needed. They'd just seen a small improvement of their stock. /cry Take-Two.

Well at least he admitted to it an saved a bunch of people sometime.

Well, this has been coming for quite a while, Rock* is a multi-million dollar corp, unfortunately, when you get to that kind of value, you will always get one or two leeches, be they inside the company using paperwork or outside the company using other methods.

Mostly, it's the Shareholders who will suffer, not a good PR situation for R*, but then they seem to surf the opinion envelope anyway, so I don't see it hurting them in the long term to be honest, it's not as if they are the first ever company to have it's management caught dabbling.

I looked at the headline, and I imagined Phoenix Wright weeping, knowing he has failed his client.

@GoodRobot

Rockstar has got nothing to do with it. It is Take Two that got those problems. Rockstar just makes the games, Take Two is the publisher.

Sorry, too used to saying Rock*, my mistake. It's right there in the article too :-/

I meant Take 2 :)

In the distance, you can hear a nasally-sounding laughing made by a certain enemy of Take2 Interactive...

Least they are cleaning house.

Regrettable, but this isn't the kind of thing that will make me (or anyone else, I'd guess) stop buying their games.

Watch JT try to claim credit for this too.

Let's hope Take Star, I mean Take Two recovers, as they probably will.

Take-Two stock (TTWO) soared on the news today, that means all their troubles are behind them and does not affect current management or studios, just some former executive.

PHX Corphttp://www.polygon.com/2015/7/27/9050375/street-fighter-5-beta-offline-delayed Street Fighter 5 beta taken offline, now postponed indefinitely07/27/2015 - 9:51pm
Goth_Skunk@eZeek: Noooooooooo.... ;)07/27/2015 - 8:44pm
MechaTama31Re: Google+, wow. I never in a million years thought they would backpedal on that. I just resigned myself to not using commenting functions on any of their services.07/27/2015 - 6:21pm
E. Zachary KnightGoth, are you saying all women are fat. ;)07/27/2015 - 5:38pm
benohawkMake it more adorable and more gender neutral! Widescreen Dog and 16:9 their 16 kitten sidekicks07/27/2015 - 5:15pm
Goth_SkunkOr, if you prefer, Widescreen Woman.07/27/2015 - 4:12pm
Goth_SkunkWho will save us from this abominable practice?! Introducing WIDESCREEN MAN and his sidekick 16:9!07/27/2015 - 4:10pm
Andrew EisenInteresting coincidence. I tweeted about the evils of vertically oriented video just last night. https://twitter.com/AndrewEisen/status/62549836960397312007/27/2015 - 4:01pm
PHX Corphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ_I9-CkzDE The Great Atari Ransack (The Jimquisition) Warning Vertical video syndrome in one scene07/27/2015 - 3:40pm
MattsworknameBout time google07/27/2015 - 3:33pm
james_fudgeugh. TG man :)07/27/2015 - 1:15pm
MechaCrashGoogle drops Google+ requirements for YouTube and other services: http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/27/google-is-dropping-its-google-requirement-across-all-products-starting-with-youtube/07/27/2015 - 12:55pm
benohawkThat still isn't Steam pay royalties. At best it is Bethesda not being willing to relicense the music,07/27/2015 - 12:51pm
Infophile(cont'd) different service. This often happened with TV shows, where music was only licensed for broadcast, but not for DVD release. So for many older shows, they either have to relicense it or use different/no music for the DVD release.07/27/2015 - 12:36pm
Infophile@benohawk: It most likely comes down to the original licensing agreement for the music in it. Often those agreements only license it for the medium it first releases in, so it has to be re-licensed if it's rereleased in a different form or through a ...07/27/2015 - 12:35pm
benohawkWhy would steam be paying royalties on anything in quake?07/27/2015 - 12:01pm
black mantaI recommend using the KMQuake II patch which supports .ogg music files, then downloading the music from someplace, then dropping it in to a music folder into the \baseq2 directory.07/27/2015 - 10:32am
black mantaI got Quake 2 during the Steam Quakecon sale. Funny thing is, there's no music for it! Guess Steam didn't want to pay the royalty fees or something.07/27/2015 - 10:30am
black mantaLike EZK, I also have a backlog of games. Right now I'm playing Crysis 3 for the first time, and replaying Quake 2.07/27/2015 - 10:29am
E. Zachary KnightZippy, No. It is because I have a backlog of games a mile long and have not bought to many new games, which includes Mass Effect.07/27/2015 - 9:28am