Thompson Sues Kotaku Parent Company

Controversial Miami attorney Jack Thompson has named Gawker Media, parent company of the popular game blog Kotaku, in a lawsuit before a federal court in Florida.

Thompson’s ire was apparently raised by Kotaku reader comments which the attorney maintains are threatening. He also alleges in the complaint that Kotaku and Gawker declined to remove the posts in question. Those messages were posted in response to Kotaku’s coverage of Thompson’s claims that video games prompted last week’s Virginia Tech massacre.

The Gawker suit is actually an amendment to an action Thompson filed on March 13th against the Florida bar. On April 11th he amended it to include the members of the Florida Supreme Court. And now Gawker joins the list of defendants.

This morning a Gawker attorney e-mailed Thompson, citing the case of Zeran vs. AOL and writing:

It is clear from the context of these comments that they are hyperbole, and not an incitement to violence, imminent or otherwise.

Earlier in the week Thompson reported Kotaku to the Denver Field Office of the FBI as well as the Denver Police Department. This morning he contacted the U.S. Attorney’s Office in New York, where Gawker is headquartered. It is unknown what type of response, if any, he received from those agencies. He also complained about the matter to Levi Strauss, Inc., a Kotaku advertiser.

Kotaku editor Brian Crecente declined to comment on the lawsuit. The judge in the case, Paul C. Huck, threw out an earlier Thompson suit against the Florida Bar in December, citing at the time what he referred to as Thompson’s “wild accusations of a vast conspiracy.”

Read the complaint here. Related Kotaku coverage of the FBI report here. Kotaku discusses the lawsuit in a brief posting here.

UPDATE: The Law of the Game legal blog has an analysis of Thompson’s complaint. Attorney Mark Methenitis concludes:

While many of [Thompson’s] claims are relatively novel, they also seem to be relatively poorly constructed as a way to include a blog he particularly dislikes.

cullarn ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

allthough i doubt the supreme court will waste their time on him but the problem is, no one told jt that they dont listen to morons usually lol
    (although i would love to have the justices argue the law with him) you have to admit that would be interesting hearing jt try and tell americas highest court it has the law wrong lol

cullarn ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@benji i hate to tell you this but we are talking about jack thompson (check out it you want a legal view of his track record lol

Nekojin ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Benji: Ah, that makes sense… that was Panera’s fault for signing such a restrictive contract, then, and the lawsuit was essentially them throwing a (legal) temper tantrum over having the contract used against them.

But the only silly part of it is that Panera took it all the way to a ruling, instead of settling… the ruling itself is sound, after all.

Benji says:

@Nekojin: Good theory, but no. Panera had a contract with a shopping plaza, and the contract said that Panera could be the only sandwich shop in the plaza. Qdoba then negotiates to open a location, and Panera sues because Qdoba, according to Panera, would be another sandwich shop. At the trial, however, culinary experts apparently testified that they felt burritos and sandwiches were significantly different, and the judge sided with Qdoba.
    I’m not sure which scenario is sillier, though both would be indicative of a need for sandwich makers to seriously lighten up.

hilaryduffgta ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

*shakes head* man can jack get any more pathetic or what???

seriously this dude needs to play some gta to get rid of that anger.

Prolly will post again 2morrow in the afternoon since high school musical is gonna be on and i’ll be watching it..

later peeps

Nekojin ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Benji: I would suspect that the MA ruling you refer to has something to do with taxes – something like, sandwiches not being taxed, so one shop was advertising “burrito sandwiches” to avoid paying the sales tax. I’ve heard of other similar cases, and those aren’t silly at all – they’re simply the Court saying, “No, we’re not fooled by your marketing stunt,” in a public way, effectively warning other people not to try the same thing.

I posted another post (which would have been under KitsuFox’s), but it doesn’t show up… I’m not sure if it failed to enter, or got eaten or deleted for some reason. I won’t repost it, in case it was deleted for accidental violation of a rule.

Benji says:

@Cullarn: I hope you’re wrong. It’d be depressing to think that the SCOTUS is spending its time on whether JT’s 1st amendment rights were violated because he was dissed on a blog.
    (Though it wouldn’t take the top prize for silliest court ruling – that’d go to an MA court that ruled that burritos were not sandwiches.)

Mottom22 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ KitsuFox

“is a VERY categorizing act, and in some terms can even be taken as racism.”

I think it would fall under prejudice (I may have spelt it wrong :)). if he said that about a black neighborhood or a middle eastern town or somethin, maybe.

But I wouldn’t say he isn’t racists. he may very well be. but of course that is a guess and or opinion. which we all know he has no grasp on. visa ve kotaku

cullarn ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@dan (your comment is up there somewhere)

hes suing the supreme court o florida so when they rule against him he can try and go to the supreme court in washington claiming that they were against him too (just another part of the “hail mary” plan)

KitsuFox says:

I’m going to speak my mind about this.

Honestly, Jack needs to take a closer look at the relations between Video Gaming, shooting a gun in real life, and who all he’s talking about. Calling the entire gamer populace a “bunch of people ready to go on a killing spree” is a VERY categorizing act, and in some terms can even be taken as racism.

Let’s not forget the man’s lost just about every case he’s played. EA made it free with the The Sims 2 claim, Bully still got released (the judge even told Jack that Bully wasn’t that violent at all), and there’s no link to the Virginia Tech shooting.

A ‘simulator’ is a pure simulation, like a flight simulator whose physics and aircraft behavior are closely modelled to be as if you were really piloting a Boeing 767 or such. Specialized flight sticks can enhance the experience, and possibly even provide accurate flight training. All from your computer.

‘Murder simulators’ in this sense would be like flight simulators, only geared to give the player a real-world aspect of murdering people. What would this entail? That most ‘murder simulators’ would be compatible with various attachments modeled after weapons that can be used for a murder. Note that the physics and behavior would also act as if you were commiting a murder, if you’re going to go to the ‘murder simulator’ extent.

But however, the games he is attacking are far from any kind of simulation. Grand Theft Auto is far from a murder simulator, while your character may reload the gun or even use one, does he stop to give the player a detailed analysis on how to reload? How to aim? No. You play the game with a controller, which is entirely different from a gun.

How do guns and controllers relate? Think on that. Do you fire bullets with your remote control? Not unless you have a gun attached to it. What remote control has a gun feature? The instant Controllers begin firing real bullets is the instant we may start to believe this guy, and no one in their right mind would design a controller-gun.

InsidiousMrMoo says:

This has to be the most ridiculous thing Jacky boy has done yet…. wait never mind the vast mafia conspiracy against him was even more ridiculous.

I can’t even bear myself to read though a few pages of that horrid excuse for a legal document; I mean really they way he talks in his letters so be grounds enough to disbar him… I mean the name calling is in no way shape or form professional.

I dunno I think he is going up to bat as the “Holy Warrior” for the last time, lets hope this time he gets shut out for sure.

Zerodash ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I finally read the whole thing. Utter hilarity. JT is complaining about his first ammendment rights and the “thought police”? LAWWL.

Anton P. Nym says:

Someone must stop this terrible threat to humanity! We must sue! (Now, who here has got the highest score in “Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney?”)

— Steve (’cause if “Counterstrike” is a murder trainer, then PW:AA is a legal trainer)

Dan says:

This is about Thompson avoiding disbarment. His argument is that he is being discriminated against because of his Christian beliefs, which is the usual horseshit the far right trots out whenever they’re told they can’t be obnoxious to gay people in the workplace or throw things at abortion clinics: “You’re trampling on my rights! You’re discriminating against me!”

Needless to say, the fact that they’re trampling on OTHER people’s rights and discriminating against THEM never comes into it.

If this sounds a little thin, that’s because Thompson doesn’t have a lot of options. The Bar has him on a very clear ethics violation; they’ve got the document he sent to Blank Rome and it clearly violates the statutes. So he’s going for the Hail Mary play and trying to get some time.

Why he’d choose to include the state Supreme Court and Gawker as defendants is anybody’s guess, but honestly it’s only going to kill the suit. At the very least the judge will tell him the material on Gawker needs to be a separate complaint.

Quad9Damage ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

What struck me as especially hilarious was that he cited Super Columbine Massacre RPG as a game that the the VT Tech killer ‘trained’ on. Never mind the obvious handicap of not being able to badmouth Grand Theft Auto and Take-Two Interactive anymore… how on earth could somebody ‘train’ on SCMRPG!? It’s a 16-bit throwback to oldschool games, and is in no way realistic at all. By his logic, I could just as easily suppress the inhabitation to kill by fighting lots of monsters in Final Fantasy 6. Should he go after that one too!? (oh dear God I hope he does.)

jabbertrack says:

@E. Zachary Knight

I’m curious if this hurts him in court or not. I’ve not studied law… the closest I get to being interested in it is GP on my RSS reader… so when I saw that essentially I could have ranted for several pages and called myself a lawyer I was a bit surprised.

E. Zachary Knight ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Most of what he put in the complaint are copypasta from his emails and interviews. He expressed nothing new. He has given up on proessional language in legal documents so don’t expect much from him. Pretty soon he will be writing as if it were a text message.

jabbertrack says:

That complaint reads like a blog on the internet. I’ve never read a legal complaint before and when I read this one I was surprised to find stuff like this:

“One Internet idiot sent Thompson the following e-mail message just this day,
    out of the blue, which helps underscore the sociopathy of typical Kotaku knuckleheads:”

^^ seriously… that’s in the legal complaint. It just seems like it belongs on the Internet itself and not in an actual legal complaint presented before a court.

As I read I found more… and decided to pile on here:

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

What I find Ironic is that this is the guy who says, about his own insult throwing and lies, that if people like NIMF ‘Don’t want to be in the public square’ then they should withdraw.

I suggest the same thing to Jack, if he wants to be in the Public Square but can’t take the fact that people don’t always agree with him, then he shouldn’t be there, plain and simple.

Slave2theGame says:

It’s not video games that make people want to go on a shooting spree.
    It’s people like Jack Thompson.
    I think he is treading into dangerous waters and should really think about who he’s trying to help with all these lawsuits.
    You can only poke a beehive so many times before you get stung.

Zerodash ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I had to stop at the very beginning of the document. What the hell does his views on a theocratic-vs-secular government have to do with anything?

SilverStar says:

@Sol Morande
    “Well, from what I’ve seen over the years, most of Florida seems to be a joke.”

*ahem* “Germany or Florida”, from Loveline. That says everything you need to know about Florida and some of the whack stuff that goes on there.

Wolf ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@SilverStar (his comment is somewhere up there)

Sooo…JT is a fascist?

Any kind of defamation cannot be carried out by a non-profit or social group. However, I don’t know about harassment. As a group, I’m not sure, but maybe as individuals, such as those who send him emails without actually being rude or such, because he gets all pissy if you’re a gamer, even with the most legitimate questions. So I don’t know; you’d actually have to ask a professional.

However, I don’t think JT has much of a case. I didn’t read it yet; what’s the charge? If there’s any defamation, I believe it goes that the Internet is a little different. But, as long as the “whatever-in-question” (this case, reader comments) are not presented as actual fact, but are represented as opinion, then it’s not defamation. At the same time, though, I do believe the court as the right to overturn the idea of freedom of speech (but he’s going after a group, just because people posted things he doesn’t like), so I don’t think they can really overturn right of speech in a case like this. Again, don’t take my word for it, I’m just going off on what little I know.

Matthew says:

**I’ve been drinking, and slightly drunk right now so if I say anything ridiculous, you know why.

Again, like I said, the Florida Bar needs to make a move already.

All Jack does is talk shit, when and what was the last case he won? 1990 with those 2 Live Crew Guys? And wasn’t it overturned shortly after?

Anyone can predict the stuff Jack does.

Look. I’m telling you right now everyone: There will be another school shooting. Count on it. I predict there will be another school shooting.

And sadly, it’s true. When the next one unfortunately happens, do I get to grandstand on MSNBC, FOX News, The O’RLY Factor and Larry King Live about how I predicted it would happen on

Or can I just assure you that millions of Americans will consume McDonalds tomorrow and grandstand about it on national television?

This is what Jack does, he “predicts” stuff that you and everyone else KNOWS is going to happen, then grandstands about it.

Everyone knows that somewhere down the line, unfortunately, some depressed maniac is going to take it out on innocent people again.

Whacked-out kids will shoot up schools, people will eat McDonalds, people will buy fuel regardless of pricing, I can predict all sorts of shit that won’t impress anyone.

JT: I predicted Columbine!
    Everyone else: O RLY? And I predicted that cities will build Starbucks no further than 500ft away from eachother.

Seriously now, if you think school shootings went out of style in Bath, Michigan, Jack is in for a surprise. Oh… wait… according to him that one never happened.

Let me be real with everyone: In America, as long as we have dead-beat parents, easy access to weapons and people who are genuinely screwed-up in the head, there are going to be problems.

Shoehorn O'Plenty ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The same old lies…

Citing scientific “fact” that doesn’t exist, exaggerating his own history, trying to maintain that he is the victim, recapping every little appearance he has made on tv spouting his opinion. Move along, nothing to see here…

I love how he accuses Kotaku of giving out his contact details. When he puts his details on every single little press release then it’s not that hard to find things like this.

Velkrin says:

I’m curious, how does he find out about all of this? Does he actually go through all the individual comments or does he just google himself or something?

Let’s find out!

Dear Jack Thompson,

I plan to place a cupcake on your car.

cullarn ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

to be honest no lawyer “works for the bar” they all work for private practices or for companies. and i do believe the bar has been trying to ban him but they seem to be having their own troubles. but i believe this time they will succeed (from what i understand he saying that the court desicions against him to date are religious disriminationm lol)

Sol Morande ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“Why am I starting to feel that the Florida Bar is a joke?”

Well, from what I’ve seen over the years, most of Florida seems to be a joke.

cullarn ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

the bar itself only polices lawyer it dosnt manage the cases (thats the courts job) from what thompson say it sounds like they have been trying to declare him mentally unfit to be a lawyer but for one reason or another it hasnt worked to date

[…] And not that the asshole needs anymore attention, but he’s been all over the news as of late (naturally, like all ambulance chasers, he’s been cashing in on the Virginia Tech massacre), such as his proposed lawsuit against Kotaku over reader comments. BTW, Chris Kohler shed further light on what an idiot he is by pointing out some of the colorful language he uses when filing court documents. […]

Matthew says:

@ Cullarn

You’re right, I forgot about that. To remove any confusion, when I say representing, I was meaning how he is doing this trash while being a member of the bar. He may be suing them, but he also works for them and goes on national television on his, and their behalf, making messes.

If I’m wrong again, correct me.

Now that you reminded me of him suing them, it makes it all more confusing to me. Why does the Bar let it fly? I don’t understand why they keep him around when he is pulling this act.

Is it an issue of letting him go, only to have him fire back because he was “unfairly disbarred”?

GL ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Someone give JT his own sitcom already. He’d get top ratings, and he wouldn’t have to sue anybody anymore (at least not for real). :)

Renolas says:

Can’t we just tell the RIAA that Mr. Thompson has downloaded illegal copyrighted material and should seek to punish him for it.. I’m pretty sure the RIAA wouldn’t care if it’s true or not and would pursue Mr. Thompson for long enough and with enough tenacity that he may get a small dose of the rediculous nature of his own lawsuits..

cullarn ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

not be be rude matthew but hes not representing the bar hes SUING them (as well as the appeals and florida supreme court) they are listed as defendants in paragraghs 2 thru 4 (my guess is after this they are goin after him) i dont think they can afford not to (and from what he said in the transcript they have had him talk to psychologists on at least 2 occasions)

Matthew says:

Why am I starting to feel that the Florida Bar is a joke?

I feel like they’re a joke for letting one of their own run around like this and make a mockery of all the other great people working for the Florida Bar.

Seriously, what is going on? JBT has been degrading the integrity of the Florida Bar for a long time now, with one near-slap-on-the-wrist and little to no other administrative intervention to keep him in check.

I keep hearing that the Bar is looking into it. For God’s sake, make a move already– they’ve got a member parading around on national television, making the Bar seem like they’re okay with turning courtrooms into circuses and hire anyone who passed “U.S. Government” in high school.

With JBT being one of the most publicized members of the Florida Bar, I can’t see how they would allow him to go on like this for so long with the way he handles himself– He is not only representing himself, but he is also representing the Bar as well, and I would not want to have someone out there on the airwaves representing me in the manner that JBT represents the Florida Bar.

There are many, many people out there studying law who want to make a legit living doing what Jack does, and they’re working their asses off for it. It pisses me off more than anything else that Jack does to know that there are so many deserving people trying to make a career in law, and Jack is out there being dead weight, mocking those who have actually dedicated their lives to studying law trying to make a decent living doing what they love so their families can live in a nice house and not have to worry about money.

The Bar needs to drop Jack and let a new, qualified person have a chance in the field. One person is trivial to anyone else, but to that one person who studied all those years to work in law, it’s all the difference.

BDUAres says:

How did such an idiot ever pass a bar exam?
    Perhaps he missed this part:

In American jurisprudence, a lawsuit is said to be “frivolous” if it is filed when the suit is filed even though it lacks merit.

Sometimes an attorney may be motivated by greed or malice –or ignorance–in bringing a frivolous case. Federal law prohibits attorneys from bringing frivolous cases, and the judge can impose a penalty (monetary damages) on the attorney.

I would love for JT to sue me. I would take him for half of everything he owns and leave the other half to anyone foolish enough to be married to him.

Wookiee ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

First he goes after wikipedia for his entry there.
    Now this…

It’s a good thing he hasn’t seen his entry over at

qAaRoN ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Ah yeah, nothing having the FBI search the VT shooters dorm and finding NOTHING in the line of video games. Now Thompson knows he’s been pwn’d on that frontier, so he’ll try another. Does this guy not realize that everyone is laughing at how stupid he is?

cullarn ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

am i missing something why is the florida bar being named as a defendant?? (check paragraphs 2 and 3) hes suing the courts?????

yup i think i read that right he is suing the courts

Mike ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I know people have said it already, but I think his language here is appalling. I can not believe such offensive language can be used in a legal document without it being a quote of something the suit is over. Not to mention he’s quite hypocritical in many of his allegations. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I am just sick of his agenda being forced on us and his extreme inflammatory comments.

And I’d love to send him something about the work I’m doing right now (I’m a psych/soc dual major). We’re using video games as a medium to teach social skills to kids with ADHD, autism, etc. and it has been having amazing and fast results. If I did though, and I’m completely serious, I wouldn’t be surprised if he sent me some kind of cease and desist order and then tried to get our program shut down.

Gray17 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Unlikely. He apparently can’t be bothered to even buy a word processing program with a spell checker and run that. Why would he go to the effort of using a bunch of forumers as spell checkers if he can’t even be bothered to have some software do it for him? Not to mention it’s a little late for spell checking after you’ve already filed something with the court.

upgray3dd ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

did it ever occur to any of you he may use us as spell checkers. He looks on the forums and goes back and takes the 5 out of “unco5nstitutional”

upgray3dd ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“(is plaintiff allowed to say that?)”
    What made you ask that?

“unco5nstitutional” ?????
    is “politicking” a word

apparently, anyone who doesn’t agree with you obviously miised the debate

Keaton2008 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

didn’t get my full memo across

*sigh* Jackie is censorship personified. Its like he had a soul exchange with Joseph McCarthy but got distracted by 2 Live Crew while getting it.

Seriously, I WANT to be through with venting about this guy! But everytime gamers and I get used to his absence, something comes up and he jumps on his horn and blurts out the most idiotic things that even people with half a brain slap thier foreheads!

But at least it gives GP something to talk about. And its also a big relief the mainstream media is catching on and somewhat taking our side on the matter.

Thank you, I’ll see you next time he does something through-the-roof-stupid. Cheers.

Keaton2008 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I don’t even know why i’m typing this comment. There needs to be a better way in say “Jack Thompson is a shithead.”

Damn you Cho for bringing him back! >_

Mysticgamer ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I can see it now.

“Jack Thompson Vs. World”

Anyone else thinking of Boyd Cooper from Psychonauts?

I own Psychonauts but I got stuck at the fish boss? Is that the infamous Milk Man level?

Zoness says:

Thompson is a fool, the case will make it and soon enough he will fade out. I remember EGM saying something a few months ago that was well put (paraphrased): “It’s a good thing Jack Thompson doesn’t have any REAL power or we might actually have an issue”.

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

So he calls the FBI because he states they are ‘taretting’ him, and then tries to sue the parent company, this was all, however, AFTER he sent Crecente an Email demanding he remove his refutations of Jack’s TV claims.

He’s really losing his grip, he’s turned into that caracature of a Sue-happy American. I’m genuinely beginning to wonder if he is truly ignorant to just how ridiculous he is, I used to think he did it as some kind of act, that he was some kind of showman, but watching him flail around like this after being shot down by mainstream news, well… It’s a bit embarassing.

Joe says:

Odd. Decidingly odd.
    His legal ramblings have been getting, well.. stranger and stranger the last few years. Not that i’m a fan of the man or anything, but, it’s starting to look disturbingly like dementia.
    He’s of an age where ahltzimers starts to take hold, if he has it. Symptoms are the only way to tell, besides an autopsy.
    Ignoring my distaste of the man, that’s not something I’d wish on anyone.

AnnoyedPerson says:

Gosh Bluewolf72 can\’t you stop pimping your bullcrap everywhere? What do you do, spend all your day googling stuff related to your things so that you can post just to pimp yourself? You are a joke, your interviews suck, your articles suck, your radio sucks, and you are a fat moron who gives gamers a bad name, and you even aren\’t one, you just pretend to be to pimp your crap. Shut up and spend your googling time in actually doing some work in case you get something decent to offer people. You are just as bad as Jack Thompson only in a different way. Such a fucking joke the both of you.

ooftygoofty says:

We all know he wants video games banned across the board, from GTA to Tetris, but my question is what would he then like done if that were to happen? Send all former gamers to prison? Have them de-programmed, Clockwork Orange style? Whatever. Moot point anyway.
    I honestly think that within five years he will have attempted an act of violence against someone affiliated with video games. I’m certainly not hoping for it, but Jack has been acting even more unhinged than usual lately. I think it’s entirely possible that he’ll become physically dangerous some time soon.

Andrew Eisen ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Let’s not be too impressed with Thompson’s trumpeting of the fact that he’s a member in good standing with the Florida Bar. It just means he’s paid his dues. That’s it.

“Members of The Florida Bar in good standing shall mean only those persons licensed to practice law in Florida who have paid annual membership fees or dues for the current year and who are not retired, resigned, delinquent, inactive, or suspended members.”

Andrew Eisen

KotatsuNeko says:

As I understand it, the T2 settlement dropped the Contempt of Court charges, but the Florida Bar situation is a completely different animal. It’s still ongoing, which is probably why he’s tacking this ‘WAH THE MEAN KIDS SAID BAD THINGS ABOUT ME’ idiocy onto the suit against the Bar.

KotatsuNeko says:

…can you *use* phrases like ‘fast forward to 2004’ in a legal document? Well, obviously you can; the question is why in the name of sanity *would* you?

I think Jacko needs to get whatever *competent* lawyer rewrote his T2 countersuit to go over this. I’m just surprised he’s not filing it in Floridqa again. It just… boggles the mind that this guy can turn in crap like this, honestly think people will take him seriously, and *still* call himself a lawyer.

Oh, well. The more he defecates all over his own credibility, the sooner he’ll fall out of the public eye.

Dreamwinder says:

I just read the complaint, and I was wondering, is it really necessary for him to state that he is “at least 18 years of age” after stating he is a U.S. citizen? Or do you think he feels compelled to add that because so many people would consider such an outlandish and rediculous claim immature and childish?

tony selby ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

here’s the line that boggles my mind the most

“It appears, but it is not absolutely certain, that this kid got
    Thompson’s e-mail address from What a surprise.”

or maybe, just maybe jack, he got your email from one of the many places that you have it posted as a mater of public record, such as at the bottom of each and every one of these complaints

Deathnote29 says:

“Jack [Thompson] should be shot”

Ya, nice to know he put the ENTIRE quote in there.

Does anyone know if JT is still facing possible disbarment from the Folrida Bar, or was that settled in the T2 settlement?

Pokemaster2185 says:

Jack himself has stated his son is emberrassed that JT is his father, and his son tries not to mention that’s he’s JT’s son. Jack doesn’t seem bothered by it though.

He’s always been somewhat unprofessional and incoherent, but it does seem a little more prevalent lately.

Gil ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I see….

But why is Jacky suddenly using such unprofessional language. Lots of exclamation points and wird bits in this legal document.

Dreamwinder says:

Keep in mind, Jack is a parent, I repeat, HE HAS HAD CHILDREN. What I want to know, is does his son have friends? I mean, if the kid had any friends that played video games, or any friends at all for that matter, they either aren’t his friends anymore, or he has had to openly reject his father in order to have any sort of social life.

SilverStar says:

Nah. Next up: John Bruce sues Massacre Chaser, Jack Thompson over defamation of character, for the rampant and mindless harassment of the game industry, in an attempt to overthrow the First Amendment, for the sake of personal gain, resulting only in the character of MC,JT being thoroughly and eternally tarnished in the eyes of the public, in turn causing John Bruce to suffer irrecoverable harm to his own practice of Law.

Gil ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“Gawker Media has a long history of acting irresponsibly in various regards. It
    organized a campaign to stalk actor George Clooney, for example, learning nothing from
    the stalking of Princess Diana.”

What the….?

gs2005 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Next up, John Bruce Thompson sues U.S. government because he’s offended by sharing oxygen with others who don’t agree to his opinions…

Hackangel ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’m reading the Gawker part now. We all knew Jack Thompson was an egomaniac but to actually quote himself? Never seen that before. It took all of points 64 to 74 to finally get to the point. Everything else was shameless self-promoting.

Gil ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“20. During that period of time, The Bar demanded, in writing, that Thompson
    once again climb onto The Bar’s psychoanalysis couch so that he could be evaluated by
    the Florida Lawyer’s Assistance Program! There they went again down that bunny trail
    of harassment, having learned nothing because it wanted to learn nothing.”

Is that proper legal talk?

Well, let’s see. Mainstream media has been attacking him more and more lately. So… what does Jack Thompson do? Throw another frivolous and pointless lawsuit on the stack of pointless things he’s done. Yeah, that’ll show ’em!

NovaDeez says:

Does anyone else find it really funny that he describes himself as “an attorney in good standing with the Florida Bar and has been since 1977” and then immediately identifies one of the defendants in his lawsuit as the Florida Bar? How good of standing can you possibly be on if you’re naming them in a law suit?

Rhyolith says:

Haha that document says

“Specifically, an Internet web site at, within mere minutes
    of Thompson’s appearance on the Fox News Channel, posted a call to action by its
    “editor” Brian Crecente, who is a video game industry apologists as to its excesses, its
    illegalities, and its Stalinist tactics.”

Wow Stalinist tactics, never would of guessed

SilverStar says:

I think it’s pretty clear, Massacre Chaser, Jack Thompson hates America. Everything he’s done in the past.. 2 or 3 years? It’s all been a direct affront to the First Amendment. All of it. He -hates- freedom of speech and protection of expression. He wants it to be banned, outlawed, and ruled against, 100%.. Except when it affects him.

I recommend the gaming populous in America, as a whole, get together and file a class-action suit against him as an individual, on the basis of defamation of character, slander, harassment and libel. He’s not just going after companies, he’s going after the entire gaming population of America, and the world! He’s actively trying to make the world think gamers are cold-blooded killers, eager to shoot each other in the face, who don’t know anything about everything, and has gone on record to call gamers as a whole, some rather disgusting slurs, with sexual overtones at times.

Wouldn’t it be possible to file a lawsuit on that basis?

Sol Morande says:

You know… pretty soon there’ll be enough to start a massive defamation of character lawsuit.

Only a matter of time before any authority will ignore him completely.

Ace of Sevens ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Typical Thompson suit. Quoting famous thinkers in an attempt to lend credibility to the case, spelling errors, conspiracy theories and lame attempts at humor that seem to come from direct-to-video 80s teen comedies. Men his age rarely say….not after sentences. As usual, there is little apparent knowledge or citation of the actual law, which tends to be the most important part of a lawsuit. Even if these were actionable threats (which is questionable), there is no precendent that Gawker would be responsible. Also, it seems entirely unrelated to his case against the bar, so I have no idea why he made it part of the same suit.

jdecamp ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I just read most of the complaint and it reads like a madman’s manifesto. Seriously, the FLA Bar needs to send him back for another psych eval. He’s lost it. The whole thing is a big conspiracy?! How is it conspiracy when you’ve managed to piss off so many people that they decide to do something about it? Is it some great surprise that so many people hate this guy after how he talks to people?

Jack – give it up. You’re going down this time. At least take it like a man.

xzero87 says:

Wow. Just wow. I can’t even put into words the feelings I have about this raving lunatic, and I’m glad for that, because it’d probably end up having GP embroiled in this suit as well.

I skimmed over the whole document, some parts made me laugh, some parts made me want to off myself– this man makes me embarrased to be a human being. Claiming that he’s the only “sane” lawyer in Florida is one of the points that made me laugh. Just about all of the rest of it made me physically ill.

Also, I notice how despite this being a legal document, he still finds room for namecalling, baseless insults, and outright lies.

monte' ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“No, they can’t. The power of Section 230 of the Communications decency act is immense.”

“No provider or user of an interactive computer service(kotaku) shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider.(Commentors, but not Kotaku’s writers)”

So looking it up, bascially it says that in this case, Kotaku can not be held responcible for what is said by the commentors; correct?

Hackangel ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Wow, just Wow!

I’ve read some of Jack Thompson other filings before but this one is certainly the most insane so far. He truly believes there’s some left-wing, anti-religion conspiracy against him.

Did you people see the part where he compares himself to Jesus Christ? That’s at least one thing Cho and Jack Thompson have in common.

Kommisar says:

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but shouldn’t legal filings sound… uh… I don’t know… legal and professional?

Instead of… a bunch of hyperbole, invective, and paranoid rantings?

Is calling people Stalinists a proper legal term?

AgnostoTheo ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

BWAHAHAHA! XD Another conspiracy charge? This man’s circling the drain at this point. I’d seriously doubt if he has the sheer mental capacity to realize the depth of the shit pile he’s putting himself in.

If (and I do say if, Jack has a notorious reputation of weasleing his way out of these situations) everything stacked against Thompson were to fall on him at one (The Bar complaints, the lawsuits, etc.) The absolute magnitude of all of it would crush him out of the public square entirely.

Go Florida Bar! Crush the Massacre chaser. 😀

(( I’ve got a TON of sugar in me. Sorry if I’m being too…. enthusiastic.))

Mottom22 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I just read his lawsuit and I can’t believe all the lies in it. I got through half of it at one point and lost count of how many fabrications he has made up. his “scientific facts’ his “experts” and him grandstanding about how great of a person he is just sickens me. I lose so much faith in humanity knowing people actually alow him on the air to babble his obvious lies. he talks about how he predicted the VT shooter was a gamer. but doesn’t mention he was completly wrong about it. making it… a lie. there is no paragraph in that lawsuit that isn’t full of lies, insults and name calling.

What I find funny is he uses words like “liberals” like its an insult. yet aren’t liberals the ones who are usually backing up his terrible legislation? way to go nimrod.

Benji says:

I also read the complaint (the first post of mine was before having done so.) Can’t say I was impressed.
    First, it’s his usual rambling style. I’m no lawyer, but it seems like you’d want to make your points and make them somewhat punchy, instead of reading ten pages of your past legal endeavors before mentioning the point of the lawsuit. Plus the usual inflammatory rhetoric – lots of opinions where facts would suffice.
    The basis for some of his claims is that he does what he does out of a religious conviction and that the parties named are depriving him of his freedom of religion. A bit of a stretch, if you ask me. Course, I might be misinterpreting it – but legal documents shouldn’t be leaving so much to interpretation if that’s the case. If other people don’t get what your problem is after reading your claim, then the fault does not necessarily lie with them.
    The complaint against Kotaku’s parent company says that in allowing posts that mention violence against him they’re part of a campaign of extortion and threats against Thompson. He almost has a point in that Kotaku says somewhere on the site it’ll remove threatening or harassing posts – but I don’t think that’s a contractual agreement, as he asserts, but a warning to not make such posts. Plus, there’s a difference between promoting an act of violence and simply saying you’d be okay with one. Unless you’re the President, possibly – the President might be an exception, but JT is not the Prez, so it’s moot anyway. Plus, he’s a public figure, and public figures generally aren’t as protected from color commentary as non-public ones. So, yeah, the whole thing seems like a bit of a stretch, the occasional good points are lost in a sea of unnecessary fluff, and the part against Kotaku seems especially weak.

Timmay! says:

Just reading the complaint, I noticed a number of insults directly at the gaming community. I wonder, since he can get away with sueing anyone for anything, if we can sue him back for the numerous insults, claims that we are all “trained murderers”, and so on. Anyone here know enough law to surmise if this can be done?

StoneGold says:

You know, it’s been a while since I’ve read any lawsuits. But I swear that I’ve never seen Army of Darkness paraphrased in one before.

“Since then, the New York Times has reported this past Sunday that upon driving their son to Virginia Tech, the parents of Cho hoped that in going to college he would leave behind his immersion in video games. The chances of that, with no parental supervision, were slim and none, and Slim just left town.”

Pixelantes Anonymous ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Coming next from Batshit Insanity Applications: Suetomatic!

Sue everyone, everywhere, all the time. The software will automatically spam the universe with a canned “press release” about your brand new lawsuit, and it will copy the FBI, CIA, KGB, Whitehouse, Jimmy Hoffa, and Anna Nicole Smith on all the correspondence.

Contact for pricing!

Conejo says:

“Problem with Jack Thompson is, he truly believes what he is saying.”

John Hinkley believed shooting the president would make a movie star love him.

Hackangel ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This has been said many times before but I’ll say it again. Suing someone for libel or slander is very hard to do. You have to prove that the person intently lies to harm, deceive, etc. Problem with Jack Thompson is, he truly believes what he is saying.

On another note, I just found out that the laws work differently here than in the rest of the United States and Canada and that a belief in the truth is not enough to be absolved or found innocent of defamation charges. Now if we can just find a way to lure Thompson here.

BearDogg-X says:

Same shit, different day.

Well, there’s already legal precedent against Jacky Boy, so he’s already lost.

Jacky Boy still doesn’t know how to practice what he preaches.

myrpok says:

How many blogs does this guys immerse himself in, seriously? How does he find time for all these lawsuits, public appearances AND troll around the internet? If I were one of the families he’s represented I would be appalled at how much time he spends on forums. What a loser.

myrpok says:

How many blogs does this guys immerse himself in, seriously? How does he find time for all these lawsuits, public appearances AND troll around the internet? If I were one of the families he’s represented I would be appaled at how much time he spends on forums. What a loser.

OldschoolVgamer says:

He’s desperately trying to find someone to sue. Suing seems to be his path into the spotlight and since he can’t nail T2/R* he needs a new target. Kotaku, I’m afraid you have become one of JT’s new suing targets…

Anyways, is there a way to block JT from actually suing more people? I was thinking that if one us helps kill more of his major crutches, meaning his targets for lawsuits, then his ability to get his face out there could take a hit. Would there be such a way?

Attack Gypsy ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Mr. Thompson,

I just spent the last 15 minutes reading your complaint. And I find it to be utter nonsense.

Since lawyers generally charge around 200 bucks an hour, you know owe me payment for reading this tripe.

You total is 50 dollars.

I guess I’m going to have to sue you for it.

Conejo says:

can’t we all join in a class action lawsuit against this guy for libel and slander?

i, for one, am sick of being labeled as some sort of about-to-snap pre-murderer just because of my hobby.

Mottom22 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I find this funny. because if this makes it to court you know they will have to show the whole webpage in question to the judge. and you know what he is going to see? lies. he is going to see all the lies jack thompson is spewing out. which already busts his credibility. also, freedom of speech come to mind, so right there he is screwed.

of course he hasn’t been know to grasp freedom of speech very well.

dutch_gamer ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@SounDemon Ah that is good news. I am awaiting to hear if we know for sure if he is actually sueing them or that he is just threatening to do so. He usually just threatens to do so but never pulls through. I still wonder if he actually did send a letter to the FBI. The massacre chaser is a fool if he did write them a letter with “Dear FBI”. Even writing a letter to the FBI about a forumpost is stupid to begin with. He is like the boy who cried wolf.

@AbzumZer0 I am not really worried myself, to be honest. I have posted in the on livejournal when the massacre chaser was threatening all of us to give away our private information. I wasn’t worried then and I am not worried now. It was just an “if” in my post, I know he can never possibly win this. So I do wonder that if he pulls through with the case, why he is doing it? I doubt this will even help him in any way against the “evil games and gamers”.

Benji says:

As for the post in question, it says something to the effect of “it’d be nice if someone Jack.” Now, my recollection of the limits on free speech is that you’re okay unless your speech is likely to cause or incite immediate harm. You can’t shout “Fire” in a theater because the panic is liable to hurt someone.
    Saying it’d be nice if harm came to someone isn’t very nice and perhaps not too clever on the part of the poster, but it’s legal. The illustration I always heard to demonstrate this: It is legal in the US (not nice, but legal) to stand up in a bar and yell, “I think all Muslims should die!” It is not legal to stand up in a bar and yell, “Hey, fellas, I hear there’s a lot of Muslims in the place down the street, let’s go rough them up!”
    Course, he could just be trying to choke the pro-game side with lawsuits and hope that either the legal costs and constant legal exertion turn into wins somehow. But that’s a dangerous game, as he could get stuck with legal fees if he loses. There’s also Rule 11, which penalizes someone for “harassment, frivolous arguments, or a lack of factual investigation” (wikipedia). At the rate JT’s been going, he might be dangerously close to stepping over the Rule 11 line.

Pokemaster2185 says:

I’ve never been a betting man, but I’d be willing to put down some money to say this will be dropped long before it gets to court. JT’s just using his same old scare tactics, but anyone who knows anything about him knows he’s all bark and no bite. He’ll chicken out the instant he realizes they’re not falling for his antics.

~the1jeffy says:

Well, that was quick. He already found another lawsuit whipping post.

In before the comment-splosion. I predict this thread will reach Epic proportions. I’m talking Jean-Luc Picard of the USS Enterprise epic.

Anyway, I also predict hilarity will ensue.

SounDemon ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“This is ridiculous. This guy really needs to be stopped trying to sue everyone who is against him. Kotaku hasn’t done anything wrong. And this most likely is about that one post on there. They can’t possibly be held accountable for what a poster says.”

AbsumZer0 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ dutch_gamer

You needn’t worry about every single blog and forum because there is absolutely no way he can win. In fact, I predict it will almost certainly be dismissed before it gets to court.

Jack ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Jack Thompson sues Kotaku for countering everything he says.

Holy crap man, I hope this doesn’t actually become a real court case. At least we have the numbers on our side. Chances are it won’t.

Dreamwinder says:

I’m keeping my faith in American judges, they’ve called him on his crap before. If the charges he’s pressing are as ludicrous as usual, there’s no way he could gain anything but publicity from this.

dutch_gamer ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This is ridiculous. This guy really needs to be stopped trying to sue everyone who is against him. Kotaku hasn’t done anything wrong. And this most likely is about that one post on there. They can’t possibly be held accountable for what a poster says. If he pulls true and win, this will spell trouble for every single blog and forum out there.

And really, that post was just an expression, nothing more. Saying that you wish someone would get shot, isn’t the same thing as wanting someone to die. It is nothing more but an expression when you dislike someone or someone’s opinion. But Jack Thompson doesn’t care and thinks that he is more important that any individual on this planet.

I am awaiting the news when this gets laughed out of court.

Kalak says:

I just want to express my out rage at Jack not even getting the name of “V Tech” right. I can see Norris Hall from my office window, have friends that were in the building and I took classes in there as an undergraduate. His grandstanding aside, he should respect something (like the victims or that this is a court document) and proof read it better than by 3rd grader who would have seen this. And to insult the VT police because they did not have a clear threat to respond to just adds his insults to those who I saw putting their lives on the line for *me*.

Also Cho’s roommate has said that he did not play video games (The Daily Show’s take was excellent on the blame game).