Czech Game Shows Difficulties in Escaping Ghetto

May 27, 2007 -
It's not easy to break the cycle of poverty.

Building on the success of a board game designed to educate students about the challenges of living life in the poorer neighborhoods of West Bohemia in the Czech Republic, an organization known as Tady a Ted (Here & Now) has told Radio Prague it is planning to bring those lessons to the computer screen.

The board game, GhettOut!, illustrates the obstacles faced by the disadvantaged in escaping life in the ghetto. Tereza Zikova of Here & Now explains:
The aim is to show how difficult it is for someone to be able to change their life. Themes include problems of discrimination, dealing with authorities, children ending up at special schools, difficulties with housing, crime, and drugs. One should get a sense of what it's like to live in constant uncertainty, and a sense that these problems are intertwined and difficult to sort out.

The original board game, Cesta z Ghetta (Out of the Ghetto), reflected life in the ghetto, placing an emphasis on personal motivation and a "readiness" to leave. Players try to gain the most help in leaving the ghetto, but just as in real life, such opportunities don't come often.

The video game version will focus more on individuals rather than groups, and is currently scheduled for release via the web in December. An English translation is planned, and Here & Now says it has received interest both locally and internationally.

- Reporting from Canada, GP Correspondent Colin "Jabrwock" McInnes

Comments

@kurisu7885: It would be awfully ironic if they charged full retail price for a game like this =P

[...] [Via GamePolitics] [...]

Seems interesting i would like to try.

I hope this will be free to play. I'm rather interested in seeing how it turns out.

hi nice post, i enjoyed it

Poll

Which Feminist Frequency video are you looking forward to most?:

WonderkarpFCC appears to be kicking ass today01/29/2015 - 4:11pm
Matthew WilsonThat is why I said "every market". for example totalbescuit has TWC, and the best he can get atm is 10/10.01/29/2015 - 1:58pm
Andrew EisenTWC offers speeds that high, at least in my area. (Standard is 15Mpbs)01/29/2015 - 1:54pm
Matthew Wilson@prh I still have my doubts. if anything the big winner is Comcast. they are the only isp in the us that can provide that speed in every market they serve. att, verizon, and twc cant or at least dont.01/29/2015 - 1:50pm
Andrew EisenTrailer for Ted 2 and it looks like it won't simply be a rehash of the first. That's encouraging! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3AVcCggRnU01/29/2015 - 1:49pm
prh99It's nice to see an FCC chair who isn't just there to facilitate monopoly building for cable and telecom. Basically not a dingo.01/29/2015 - 1:46pm
Wonderkarpmine was grandia 201/29/2015 - 1:39pm
Matthew Wilsonoh btw only about 5.6 percent of the us has broadband now.01/29/2015 - 1:21pm