ESA Lauds Free Trade Deal Between USA & South Korea

July 5, 2007 -
For the ESA, selling more games is good and software piracy is bad.

No wonder then that the organization, which represents U.S. game publishers, has jumped on board with the recently-signed USA-South Korea Free Trade Agreement. Said ESA boss Mike Gallagher:
The U.S.– Korea FTA will provide enhanced intellectual property protections and more favorable trade treatment for a range of digital products, including computer and video games.

The ESA expects the deal to result in:
...non-discriminatory and duty-free treatment for all digital products, including computer and video games, whether imported in physical form or over the Internet.

Game publishers expect the deal will help in their battle against pirates, as well:

South Korean publishers are widely-regarded as innovators in the entertainment software industry, particularly with respect to online games. Industry experts believe that this treaty will promote additional opportunities for U.S. and South Korean game publishers with regard to sales, investment and future collaboration.

Comments

GoodRobotUs
DOn't forget the whole 100 year IP thign they want to do,since they rarely support a game after2 much less 5 years its free to trade electronically(after 5),selling it however is not :P

Ya blame piracy for bad games,shotty bug work or polish,bad ports computer crashing protection schemes and high prices games have not really been games of late, I been repairing PS2s of late and reading up on the history of it,the DREs were nasty hell even the slim lines got a bad case of bad lens it happens but sheesh the 360 problem is more than the lens issues ever were.

I bought a copy of GalCiv 2 as well, and remember the whole Starforce shenanigans.

Trade agreements are good, even stopping piracy is good, BUT, there will have to come a point where the ESA and ECA are going to collide on this, and that is retail prices over purchaser rights. Why, for example, should I pay $30-$40 for a DVD, which has a life expectancy of 2-3 years, and then be denied the right to either return the goods or to make a copy for when my DVD eventually wears out.

I'm all for Industry having the right to protect it's own IP, but not at the cost of legitimate customer rights. As people have argued before, just as taking away guns from legitimate users doesn't stop killing, taking away Rights from legitimate customers will not stop Piracy.

Hell, do I need to pull up the StarForce/Stardock Gal Civ2 scandal?

Which part?

Where Starforce got angry at Stardock for releasing their game without copy protection? (I own a retail copy of it, by the way.)

Or where employees of Starforce actually posted links to pirated torrents of GalCiv2 on the Starforce message boards?

Fights against piracy have been shown time and time again to be little more than crude potshots at the legit consumer base in the phantom dream of 'earning lost profit'.

Relic Entertainment knows this.

Hell, do I need to pull up the StarForce/Stardock Gal Civ2 scandal?

Although I'm all for free trade, something tells me the game industry's interpretation of the document is simply being an excuse to impose more and more unesscesary safeguards and firewalls that hackers will easily penetrate.

"Recognizing South Korea’s high broadband penetration, the FTA includes additional commitments to augment enforcement efforts against Internet piracy."

That's what I would be concerned about. Fights against internet piracy tend to have collateral damage.

This could be a good step to help the game industry continue to grow.

Poll

Which Feminist Frequency video are you looking forward to most?:

WonderkarpFCC appears to be kicking ass today01/29/2015 - 4:11pm
Matthew WilsonThat is why I said "every market". for example totalbescuit has TWC, and the best he can get atm is 10/10.01/29/2015 - 1:58pm
Andrew EisenTWC offers speeds that high, at least in my area. (Standard is 15Mpbs)01/29/2015 - 1:54pm
Matthew Wilson@prh I still have my doubts. if anything the big winner is Comcast. they are the only isp in the us that can provide that speed in every market they serve. att, verizon, and twc cant or at least dont.01/29/2015 - 1:50pm
Andrew EisenTrailer for Ted 2 and it looks like it won't simply be a rehash of the first. That's encouraging! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3AVcCggRnU01/29/2015 - 1:49pm
prh99It's nice to see an FCC chair who isn't just there to facilitate monopoly building for cable and telecom. Basically not a dingo.01/29/2015 - 1:46pm
Wonderkarpmine was grandia 201/29/2015 - 1:39pm
Matthew Wilsonoh btw only about 5.6 percent of the us has broadband now.01/29/2015 - 1:21pm