In U.S. & Down Under, Military Uses Game Tech to Recruit

July 27, 2007 -
Military recruits are primarily young men, so it should be no surprise that the armed forces are using game tech to reach out to potential enlistees.

Kotaku reports that first-person shooter America's Army, hugely popular as a freebie on PC, is heading to coin-op:
America's Army for arcades will focus less on the shooting of terrorists or insurgents and will instead consist of a series of eight mini-games that emulate real-life Army training exercises... The game is assumed to be built on the PC version of America's Army which also runs on the Unreal Engine.

Console versions of AA also appeared in 2006.

Meanwhile, the Sydney Morning Herald reports Australian Defence Force recruitment has gone the gaming route as well with last week's launch of an online gaming portal and a podcast detailing what it's like to be a trainee:
Extreme Battleships, Supreme Air Combat, and Operation Tiger are just three of the online games developed by the ADF, where players can chalk up victories... and progress upward through the military ranks.

The ADF games, designed to appeal to casual gamers seeking a quick, arcade-type experience, have now been combined on a single portal where players can choose between five different games in both multiplayer and single player formats, and create their own avatar.

Since the recent launch, the ADF reported 25,000 visits. An earlier game, Extreme Battleships, received 1.03 million visitors since September while Supreme Air Combat has attracted attracted more than 300,000 since March.

Using games for military recruitment, of course, has been somewhat of a controversial topic, but it seems to be an effective tool for attracting young people to the armed forces.

Comments

I don't mind the 'Army Navy Air-force' (Aus.) campaign, it doesn't go much further than saturating the country with information about the military.
'Extreme Battleships' is pretty fun, the most high-tech' and entertaining (free) battleship clone I've seen to date. Haven't seen hide nor hair of the other's though.

The Army may use this, but the Coast Guard and Navy aren't doing video game-based idea planting...and it's not exactly on the table anytime soon either from DOD conferences I have been to in the last year.

If it is good enough for Star League, it's good enough for Uncle Sam.

Its another form of army advertising nothing more nothing less.

See, this is why I hate how the Army does their stuff. They are so far behind on quotas that they are trying to get anyone they can, regardless of whom.

I've been a Marine for 4 years, and I can tell you that the Marines I work with weren't just any average guy off the street that picked up a game, played it, and said "this looks like fun!". The Army keeps trying and trying by advertising these things that most people don't even get to do, sadly. I personally know 3 soldiers that joined the Army to go over to Iraq and fight after playing America's Army. One was sent to work with vehicles (motor transportation) and not even overseas, one is an admin clerk, and one works in a supplies warehouse. It isn't so much the propaganda as it is false hope, really...

As funny as it seems, AA really doesn't produce as many soldiers as some may lead you to believe.

It's honestly a waste of time. Though I might play AA at the arcades just to see how bad it can be.

But it's hopeless endeavor they are making.

And here's a thought. Notive how the actual government doesn't say anything about gaming and what not? Maybe its because of stuff like AA that hold them back so they are capable of producing more soldiers...

Will they ever stop with their propaganda??

What is it about extreme and video game titles?

I m really game freak.One of my friend told me about the site which got lots of arcade games .It brought back beyond memories.I really enjoyed specially playing action arcade games , so i thought to share it .I know gamelovers will love it .

Old

Poll

Which group is more ethically challenged?:

Consterwhy aren't "Video game players" an option on the poll? :P07/04/2015 - 5:19am
Andrew EisenThat was quick! Pretty accurate cosplay of the new Ghostbuster uniform and proton pack: https://twitter.com/mirabellemusing/status/61673135125394227207/03/2015 - 6:23pm
Matthew Wilson@mast I dont know, but I do know it got a cult fallowing here.07/03/2015 - 6:22pm
MastermuneWasn't the Zero Escape series more popular here than in Japan?07/03/2015 - 6:19pm
Matthew Wilson@mast given the game was revealed in the US, I wouldnt be shocked if it was released at the same time.07/03/2015 - 6:15pm
MastermuneI don't trust the big AAA worldwide simultaneous releases though.07/03/2015 - 5:57pm
Mastermune@Infophile I have come to the conclusion that smaller games like zero escape, JRPG's and the like are actually worth preordering sinc they are limited quantities and since they usually release in japan first we know if there are any issues.07/03/2015 - 5:56pm
Infophile@Matthew! Awesome news. I'd preorder on that shout alone if I didn't have a policy against preordering anymore.07/03/2015 - 5:16pm
Matthew Wilsonzero escape 3 was announced today.07/03/2015 - 4:21pm
Matthew Wilson@pnx I am guessing a ddoss since that is what happened to neogaf, but sony needs to do a investment in psn as a whole. steam is still the most reliable and fastest digital platform I use.07/03/2015 - 3:06pm
PHX Corphttp://www.vg247.com/2015/07/03/psn-is-down-sony-investigating/ not again: PSN is down, Sony investigating07/03/2015 - 3:04pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.vg247.com/2015/07/03/digital-extremes-trespasser-keystone-pc/ if true, this is funny and embarrassing for Digital Extremes. companies need too have better security.07/03/2015 - 2:57pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-point-destiny-the-hardcore-gamers-slot-machine/2300-6425852/ this is very good, and well researched.07/03/2015 - 12:41pm
InfophileOther features to become standard: The ability to remap controls however the hell I want. Quicksave at any time (especially for handheld and mobile games). Plus everything Andrew said07/03/2015 - 10:43am
InfophileRegion-freeing becomes tricky for games with a strong online component though, especially when the servers are run by different branches in different regions.07/03/2015 - 10:41am
InfophileI'm in favor of getting rid of region-locking for any purchased games. I can understand an exception for free, ad-supported games, as many ads are only relevant in certain regions, and it's a ridiculous hassle to get ads for all regions.07/03/2015 - 10:40am
PHX Corphttp://kotaku.com/payday-2-has-been-broken-on-xbox-one-for-three-weeks-1715384186 Payday 2 Has Been Broken On Xbox One For Three Weeks07/03/2015 - 8:44am
Matthew Wilsonhttps://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/3bxduw/why_was_riama_along_with_a_number_of_other_large/ here is a more complete acount of whats going on.07/03/2015 - 1:32am
Matthew Wilsonredit is on fire right now. most subreddits have been set to private.07/03/2015 - 1:24am
MattsworknameYou know andrew, those are actualy rock solid ideas, I woudl like those features a bunch ,especially with games that a cut scene heavly. looking at you kojima!07/03/2015 - 1:18am