GP Reader’s Debate Video Quizzes Prez Hopefuls on Gamer Rights

GamePolitics reader E. Zachary Knight has posted his own YouTube Presidential Debate video in which he asks the Republican candidates how they plan to protect gamers’ rights.

Bonus: E. Zachary mentions the ECA!

Gameboy says:

@ E. Zachary Knight

I definitely like that you pointed out the previously struck down unconstitutional laws. And kudos for addressing Freedom of Speech.

More. More. Let’s flood the debate with questions about video games.

E. Zachary Knight ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Thanks for the comments. Personnally, I don’t like how Youtube cut off in the middle of the last word. The video I uploaded went about one second efter I finished speaking.

As for moving these to a second page or combining them into a single daily article, I for it. The front page is getting crowded. (As much as I like to have my face on the front page. :) )

tempo says:

Love the tie!
    I was trying to get GamerDad to do that, looking respectable is 90% of credibility for the d-bags your addressing.
    You’ve really pulled off the look of the republican voting demographic (the base?) to the letter. That couch was a nice touch.

Also, nice you got it EXACTLY 30 seconds (perfect score), very concise and to the point.
    Although i’m sure if they have to answer this question, they could probably wiggle around it.. but not so easily.

Matt Paprocki ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Joystiq has that “video of the day” piece. Maybe post them once in a single piece, and then highlight a winner later? Better yet, how about users vote on the new ones each day to find the best of the bunch come the next day?

Gameboy says:

@ E. Zachary Knight

Yea, that’s the problem with the 30 second time limit. You can’t really expound on your question. Subtract whatever time you need to say your name and state of residence and you can barely ask anything complex.

It’s probably best though. If there were no limit, you could of asked a good 3 minute question, but so could everyone else. Fear for those people who stutter.

E. Zachary Knight ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Tempo

You posted at the same time as me.

I figured that the more respectable and professional you look the more likely they will take you seriously. As for the couch, it was the least busy part of my house that is why it was chosen.

It is very difficult to say everything you want in under thirty seconds. I originally wanted to mention the FTC report and expand more on the laws, but I had to cut some things to get it under thirty seconds. :(

tempo says:

Yeah, they do kind of cut off your last word there. It seems ok though.
    If you were to shoot it again, the word ‘further’ could be remove for that extra second.

Nevertheless, you got the most important stuff in there given the constraints.

Miraba says:

Good job. It was worded well *and* you looked like a prospective voter.

(No offense to the younger people, but you have a better chance of being picked up if you look a) past your twenties and b) conservative.)

Wag says:

Bar none, the best video I’ve seen so far concerning this issue. I had been considering doing one myself, but was having trouble keeping the thing under 30 seconds. Closest I ever got was 40 and I didn’t want to be speed talking thru it. You really nailed what my post would have been and was able to get it under that 30 second window.

Kudos man.

Maybe I’ll do one for the modders debate instead 😉

jer ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Is it possible to create a second page devoted to this video debate questions (pro and con on video games) and just link it in the top of GP main page?
    And in the devoted page have all the comments per video shown as it is now?

~the1jeffy says:

Nice work, bro! I am working on one, too but have limited power because of severe storms. Also, RIP 2006 Saturn Ion. My car got totaled by a flash flood.

Keep them coming! Nice tie!

GameClucks says:

Yes! I hope CNN picks this one, and I hope at least one candidate actually answers the question about free speech rather than launching into talking points about the ‘media cesspool’ our kids are apparently drinking from and drowning in.

Gameboy says:

@ ~the1jeffy

Was that your car in the repair shop?

I feel your pain. I drive a 2005 Saturn Ion. Just today I hit a rock in the middle of a dirt road, and it busted up my transmission. So now its in the shop in need of a whole new transmission, and I’m hoping my insurance will cover the repairs (or at least most of them). Fortunately, I have full coverage as I’m still paying it off.

I feel your pain. I love my Saturn.

hayabusa75 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Nice work, Knight. Next time you should have a wad of bills hanging out of your shirt pocket and really make it complete. :)

terrible tom ( User Karma: -1 ) says:

E. Zachary Knight –

Nice job! I think this is the best one by far. It is a strait forward approach and if they try to avoid answering it it will be obvious that they dodged it. It is an intelligent, professional and the audio is easily heard and understood. So far, this wins hands down.

The only problem I have with it is citizens is cut off at the end. I still know what you said but a fraction of a second more would have been nice that way the statement would have ended and there would be a very short silence before it ended. But this is such a small problem it really isn’t an issue as its obvious the word is citizens but if there is an issue with the video I would have to say it is that. I’m certain that youtube is at fault for this problem. Did you try to reload it to see if it was fixed?

I wouldn’t mind to hear candidates address this issue. I’m pretty confident that Ron Paul would give us the answer we would all rather hear… but thats just my opinion.