Iraq War Veterans Protest America’s Army Game

Even among some military veterans, support for the war in Iraq is dwindling.

As reported by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, veterans of the war gathered to protest recently at the Missouri Black Expo. The focus of their attention was a display of the America’s Army video game:

About 90 Iraq war veterans, dressed in black shirts, stood in formation Saturday afternoon in front of military recruiters at America’s Center and shouted their protest message three times: “War is not a game!”

They were referring to the large military simulation game set up by Army recruiters… The group of veterans, known as Iraq Veterans Against the War, were in St. Louis for their annual meeting this weekend when they decided to stage a brief demonstration at the Expo.

America’s Army was created several years ago by the Department of Defense. The PC version, a first-person shooter using simulated military weapons, is given away for free by the Army as a recruitment and public relations tool.

Here’s the video of the IVAW protest:

Eric B says:

Ok this is so blown way out of porportion its silly YEs this is a recruitment tool, so what. Without a military America is weak. In this modern society we need a tool to recruit todays youth, we dont have the feeling of nationalism we had in the early part of the 20th century, the radical anti war movements of the 60’s killed that. I joined out of sence of National pride, served my country proudly, as have my brother and sister ( both active and in country). Fact is this game is not going to recruit kids who dont want to go into the military period. Those who are inclined to go in will with or with out this game, it does however offer a look into the types of schooling available.

The shooter part of the game is just that a game. Any kid who doesnt realize that being in the military is dangerous is not the sort of kid who passes boot anyway. Anyway quit whining and about all of this and show some national pride, whether or not you like war or a political canidate isnt a reason to bash your own country.

Anonymous says:

The funny part is a piece of my soul, life and body are left in iraq. Make a game that takes that from you and i am sure the people will be so excited to play it

Anonymous says:

A lot of my buddies in AA are vets.  ‘Nam to the present.  I frequently play with an AA  clan run by a former Navy SEAL with 35 years of experience.  Believe me, all of the guys I know love the game.  Of course none of them would even think of equating it with combat, but they do seem to appreciate the teamwork  and fairly realistic tactical strategy involved.

Jon. K says:

Hi guys, I think the public has actually lost all sense of direction..especially the Army of all people. Confusing Video games between reality..maybe the Army troops have lost reality. I do not know, but this is very childish whoever thought that a video game like, Americas Army, would make a bunch of full grown men and the president cry like babies. Well you all might as well ban RISK, cause this game has been around before most of you all were thought of in this world. MY advice Grow UP! Act like grown men, not a bunch of inconsiderate animals. Games are Games —Reality is Reality—so do not confuse the two. Do not take this message out of is only a figure of speech.. if you can read between the lines.

nate fisher says:

i was there 03-04. i loved the army, my unit , and my country. the real focus should be on the soldiers, sailors, and marines who are no longer in service to this country. and especailly to those whom continue to serve. afterall the service to the country does eventually end . and as for protests over a video game,huh. see it first hand is much worse than a game could ever be. grow a set. protest the fact that vets that return have to go through enough sh@###, just to get what they need. or are lied to that there is no help for them.

namgrunt says:

What a bunch a balless wussies!!
    You don’t have a spine to be able to make it in the military, and run home to your mommies and daddies with your tail between your legs.

You can’t take someone getting in your face to try and make something out of your sorry ass, so you go and whine and complain about a video game to vent your lack of ability to stand on your own and attempt to transfer that guilt to someone else.

Your actions denegrate the memory of those who gave their lives for your sorry ass’s.

We are now seeing the results of those who were going to be their kids friend, and buddy, instead of being a parent, and accepting that responsibility. And tach their kids to do something with their lives instead of being a bunch of whining little wussies.

Get a life girlies!!
    Reach down and see if you have a pair, which most doubt you do, or ever did.

What a bunch of complete assholes.

I would have loved to see any of your sorry ass’s go to boot camp in the early ’60’s. The Drill Instructors would have double dribbled your sorry ass’s all over the base and out the door for being male impersonators.

Go crawl back into your holes.

SixLeggedpuppy says:

I have mixed feelings about this subject. It has been proven time and time again by plenty of universities around the nation that in fact, avid first person shooter gamers are able to distinguish important targets on the battlefield and are able to react quicker and spot points of interest in half the time than the latter. While of course, some stupid video game is not gonna prepare you for real life combat situation, that’s not the point. Surely you guys can see this. Is anybody really attempting to argue that people think real life combat is like America’s Army? I’m sure those people are the cannon fodder infantry on the frontlines that we need to go Rambo who scored 30 on the ASVAB. I do believe that using AA as a recruiting tool and a PR stunt is ridiculous, but saying that people that do extremely well in a simulation combat game don’t have a slight advantage over the average is ridiculous as well.

Baramos says:

They’re quite simply right. “War” apparently makes a pretty crappy game judging by how much “fun” America’s Army is.

Personally I think they need to play a little Medal of Honor.

Haruspex says:

@Matt Lohr

Stop with this pseudo-philosophy, every comment made is subjective, being ‘neutral’ is simply a euphemism for upholding the status quo. The comment in question contains much truth, since Bush announced his ‘surge’ of troops in January over 500 new families have signed up to Military Families Speak Out (MFSO). I am sure there is much discontent amongst troops surrounding ‘stop-loss’- a law that allows the government to keep soldiers under contract , even after they have completed their eight years of service. Added to this, in April the Bush administration announced that all tours of duty would be extended to 15 months. Since the invasion over 4,000 US soldiers have been killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, in each month following the failed ‘surge’ in Iraq over 100 soldiers have been killed.

They seem like legitimate reasons for growing anger among veterans and military families alike.

GryphonOsiris ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Actually, I have no anger for him at all. However if I really wanted to I could probably give him a dressing down that would leave him as a pathetic, whimper pile of wet feces. Why that would be most amusing and make a wonderful YouTube video, he isn’t worth the spittle he will be wiping off his face when I’m done.

Sadly, he’s just a narcissus who like to masterbate his ego by pretendeding to be tougher than he ever will be. Of course, in my opinion, your average anorexic 14 year old girl is tougher than him. Probably can write more clearly as well.

Haruspex says:

Why is it that every time I visit this website things have already degenerated into petty feuds regarding ‘Jack Thompson’…

With that aside I commend these folks, not only for opposing the war, but also for highlighting how on one hand video-games are decried for imbuing the youth with violent tendencies, yet, on the other, they are used as propaganda which could eventually lead to actual murder and bloodshed; where young men and women are conditioned to kill without remorse.

I am not sure of the military recruitment levels in the US, but here in the UK the Ministry of Defence (MoD) are struggling to attract the numbers they would like (from 210,800 in 1997 to 195,900 in 2006), no doubt due to the calamities in Iraq and Afghanistan. In the former 168 UK servicemen and women have needlessly lost their lives as the British Army makes an ignominious retreat from Basra palace and the airstrip where, in the last four months alone, over 600 mortar and rocket attacks have been launched. Surely confirming that much of the violence is not ‘sectarian’, although the occupation ferment such divisions, by arming different militias and gangs in different areas, so that Sunni and Shia do not unite over issues such as the privatisation of the country and the handing over of oil fields; primarily to American corporations.

I know here in the UK the MoD use computer games as one incentive* to lure youngsters, often those who are poor with few prospects, into the armed forces. The MoD now largely rely on youngsters, still children I would say, for recruitment- 40% of new recruits are aged 16-17. Recruiting is schools is an insidious thing to do, in fact they pitch themselves as offering ‘career guidance’ rather than recruitment. Thankfully tutors and students have launched a spirited defence against this recruitment drive, in Edinburgh recently School Students Against the War (SSAW) held an event called ‘Shout It Out!’ involving music, speeches, stalls and workshops.

We should keep our schools, and our video-games, free from such glorifications of war.

*The New Labour Government is spending record amounts on recruitment, last year they spent £89 million, an increase of £3.6 million on the previous year. They bring military hardware and transport to schools, as well as launching magazines, websites and various activities all designed to ensnare children. One such example is ‘Camouflage’, which promises: rock climbing, helicopters, bob sleighs, rugby, tanks and computer games… they seemed to have missed ‘Getting shot at’.

DavCube ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“May your God have mercy on you, you wretch. Frankly, i’d be only too happy to find you homeless in the street, just for the opprotunity to kick you in the ribs.

Ciao, AgnostoTheo”

Watch as he passes that off as a death threat. lol.

AgnostoTheo ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ DarkTetsuya

Sure. He’d make for great fiction. Trouble is he’d probobly claim it all to be fact.

L. Ron Hubbard seems a likely inspiration.

My condolences, man…

DarkTetsuya ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

2. Shortly afterwards you badmouth just about anyone who doesn’t hold to your EXACT version of events.

Which is never what actually happened anyway.

4. Lastly, if you’re not trying to dig up pity from your wife’s cancer or quoting some bunk study on game violence (Or misquoting a credible one, for that matter), you try to throw in some mention to an event, generally Paducha or Columbine.

Joe Gamer: yeah sorry bout your wife’s cancer… yknow mine’s got breast cancer too… but she plays Halo to keep her mind off of it.
    Jack: Yeah well I hope she drops dead.

… is usually the exchange that happens in that case. I guess he doesn’t subscribe to ‘Do Unto Others’ … actually I think his version is ‘Kiss my @$$ I can do/say whatever the hell I want, screw the rest of you’

Also I’ve always wondered — it can’t possibly be that difficult to get a law degree if he can get one.

Also, do you think he’d have a career as a fiction writer? then again if he really writes as atrociously as he practices law… yeah.

AgnostoTheo ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Jack. *shakes head* The sheer volume of what you DON’T know about videogames and their players could fill a multitude of libraries AND the local dump. The dump being PRECISELY where your self-promotionalizing, degrading, and disgusting little versions of the facts should be.

You? you’re easy to read:
    1. You stand on your little soapbox with some BS about ‘saving the kids’. But we all know better. You’re not about the kids so much as you’re about the limelight.
    3. Following that you promote the fact you were on TV (Usually the shows from nearly a decade ago, seeing as anyone who invites you now generally has no idea who you are and could care less if you’re credible or not.)

If you’re a professional lawyer, I’ve got to question the standards of the Florida Bar myself. How you haven’t been barred from practising law is nothing short of jaw-dropping.

Incidentally, I HAVE read that piece of grammatically incorrect piece of kindling you call a book. I didn’t think I could be more disgusted with you before I read it. Afterwards, I found I actually had to resist the urge to shred it then and there. Of all the self-promotional, egotistical, manipulative, and dishonest things I’ve read, yours nearly tops the list, just half a step short of Mein Kampf.

Ciao, AgnostoTheo

Erik ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“I was on ABC News World News Tonight to speak specifically about the inappropriateness of the America’s Army game. I was right then, and I’m right now, and I was right about it before anybody but gamer nerds knew anything about it.”

Right about what exactly? Did you even read the story or did you just skim the title. None of them back up your lying drivel about brainwashing murder simulators. They are only against it as a means of recruitment. But you’ve never been one to let facts get in the way of your insane crusade now do you?

“Oh, and I forgot:

HOOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! “

You know generally when you do that its merely insulting. But within the confines of this thread its both insulting and ironic. Do you think that making a mockery of those who you believe to support you is a wide idea?

BearDogg-X says:

@ Jack Thompson

You were never right. Selective hearing and selective reading doesn’t count, loser.

Have you ever watched the “Revenge of the Nerds” movie series? The Nerds always win in the end.

And nobody cares if you were on ABC World News Tonight.

Practice what you preach, jabroni: Grow up and get a life.

Paul ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Oh, and it’s funny how Jack thinks that this means that those in the Army agree with him. They’re protesting against thefact the game is being used as a recruitment tactic, not that it’s a “killing simulator”. Jeez, some people just hear what they want to hear.

Asoldier says:

@ Austin Lewis:

If know anything about USASOC, SOCOM, or JSOC you should know better than make any type of reference to a particular ODA or who or what they are comprised of.

I consider any soldier one of the best (unless he is absolutely worthless and is getting chaptered out). I have yet to run across any Iraq/ Afghanistan vets that have complained publicly about deploying to either one of those worthless sand lots, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. There’s always going to be negativity about the military and government, no matter what happens. Hell, we could save these peoples lives and they’d still hate us.

Don’t let it get under your skin and if they don’t like us, they can kiss our ass because I like what I do and I’m going to keep on doing it. Despite what they think or say, I know I’m better than those that hate us.

Murry ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Trying to logic with Jack is pointless. He knows hes wrong about.. well most things, but he also knows he dosnt care because all that matters is if he can stur up enough controversy to make money off it. Lets face it, if Jack relied on his skills as a lawyer he would have been in the poor house long ago.

Sad thing probably is that the only reason Jack comes to these forums is to stur up the hornets nest and maybe get a few more quotes or death threats to use as evidence in his con. He will never stop saying “Hooah” simply because it does annoy you and thats what he wants. He will never register his account because that would make it easier to ban him, and even if God came down and told Jack to stop being so bad, hed keep on doing what hes doing now because Jack hasnt been playing for Gods team for a long time now.

Conejo says:

calm down, Soldier.
    getting upset at Thompson for abusing (and thusly embarassing) military lingo is like being mad at a cow for smelling bad.

he may degrade the very definition of Mankind just by existing, but like all cyber-bullies his powers slip away if you don’t give in to the anger he wants to invoke.

Kincyr ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“Until then you are just some one who thinks they know-it-all but doesn’t know the difference between incoming fire and a supressive barrage.”

Don’t give him too much credit, he doesn’t even know the difference between his mouth and a hole in the ground.

GryphonOsiris ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Jack Thompson

Jack, stop saying Hooah. You were not in the Army, you will not ever be in the Army, and you are not currently in the Army. It makes you look like a total and complete jack-ass to those who were in the Army. While I understand that your vocabulary is flawed and limited, resorting to gutural sounds to compensate for that is no excuse.

As for the rest of your post, you obviously didn’t read the article. They are protesting that recruiters are using an unrealitic portrayal of combat as a recruitment tool. For Example, 6 minutes to get a squad across heavily fortified bridge, CSAR (combat search and rescue) for a downed Helo pilot with no concern about how to evac said wounded pilot, and don’t even get me started about leaving wounded and dead comrades behind in a combat zone.

Besides those little details, the game also does not teach fire discipline, unit integrity, and unit trust. Nor does it include things like the hours of boredom that are permeated by minutes of shear terror.

If you want to talk about video games compared to real life combat, Jack. Enlist in the infantry first, get 3 combat tours under your belt, then you will be qualified to talk on the matter. Until then you are just some one who thinks they know-it-all but doesn’t know the difference between incoming fire and a supressive barrage.

Austin Lewis ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

It was made to get kids in the door to talk to a recruiter to get the disc (originally, it was on CD’s given out in recruitment centers).

Now, it is downloadable via the internet, so there’s really not a point as a recruiting device, except to suggest the idea to players.

Jack Thompson ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The Nostradamus reference was with a wink, if you happen to be blind.

Elliott says:

Have any of you played this game? This game is designed as a combat simulation and is quite realistic in many ways. It will never be anything like real warfare, and furthermore regardless of which side of the fence you sit on. This is a game, and its intentions can easily be misunderstood. I recommend that you read about the game itself by visiting the website and read the mission statement of the game. Yes it was made as a recruitment tool, however if you/r kids are signing up for the military because of a game, or if your concern is that they may joing the military, then maybe you should think outside the box and look at their influences. I don’t think anyone joins the military thinking its going to resemble a game, nor do I think that anyone joins blindly without understanding the risks of their duties. Its a game people. Play it and enjoy it, just my two cents.

Toothy grin says:

I have played AA extensively.
    Its very realistic in the way it shows how war is… up to a degree. There is no blood, no guts on the floor. You can get hit point blank with a RPG and you will leave a solid corpse behind.

Wounded people dont scream, they just move slower.

An interesting and perhaps insidious design move is that both sides see the other side as ‘bad guys’. So if you play a map in the Middle East, the other side looks arabic, you look like US army. But the other side sees you like Arabs and they are US. Through a clever trick of programming. So if you play the game you are always US and the other side is always some colored race.

Kevin Palmer says:

War isn’t a game, but video games are a far cry from war itself. If people are so against war, then I guess kids playing cowboys and indians (sorry, I know that’s not PC….oh well) or cops and robbers, heck even Batman and Robin should be stopped as well.

A game is fun and while some people might not like FPS games, then that’s their prerogative, but it’s a free country OK. There are plenty of soldiers currently who love military games such as Medal of Honor or Call of Duty. In fact many are waiting for the upcoming Call of Duty 4: Modern Combat, myself included. If you check out the game trailers of Call of Duty 4, there’s a military adviser that’s said how much some of these guys love these games.

I’m sick and tired of people trying to blame games for people killing others. If someone has killed another and they also played a FPS game, then I can guarantee you that it still would have occurred had they not played the game.

Do movies and games effect people in some way? I’m sure they do to some extent, but they are not the cause. I don’t think it’s gonna hold up in court, if you kill someone and say, well, I played America’s Army and I did it there so I thought it was OK, or even something like a game like Manhunt 2.

I don’t think kids should play these games, and it’s fine if you don’t like them, but many people do and because they do don’t make them bad. In fact there’s a Christian Gaming League that plays Call of Duty 2, Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142. The Bible doesn’t even allude to playing games as a sin, so don’t anyone say it’s wrong because it’s not. I have the utmost respect for the people in the military and if they don’t like these games either, that’s totally fine, but don’t tell me what I can or can’t do! If you don’t want your kids playing these types of games, that’s fine and they shouldn’t actually until they get a certain age, but don’t you dare try to compare a game to actual killing and/or war. That’s just a cheap excuse to berate the game, just because you don’t like it!

[…] Approximately 90 Iraq war veterans in black shirts protested in front of a military recruitment station chanting three times: “War is not a game!” They were protesting against the Department of Defense funded America’s Army video game. The PC version, a first-person shooter, is given away for free by the Army as a recruitment more | digg story […]

A-wel Cruiz ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Jack Thompson, this century’s “Nostradumbass”

Jack, do you even read this shit before posting? They’re saying video games CAN’T train you to kill or shoot a gun. This is the exact opposite of what you’ve been saying for years.

Are you actually trying to look retarded? (Apologies to any retarded people I may have offended by comparing you to Jack Thompson. Nobody deserves that!)

DarkTetsuya ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Austin Lewis:

And besides, isn’t masturbation a sin? … or is it that Jack believes he is the exception?

Also you do realize the ‘hooah’ request will fall on deaf ears (Just like any of our posts starting with @Jack/JT/Jack Thompson or any variation thereof) until someone in uniform actually sets him straight, right?

@Black Manta

Can’t wait to read the headline tomorrow, if that is the case. Heck I’ll make a screencap of it, even… set as background 😉

Al Wesker says:

@Austin Lewis

Nothing in particular, really. Not considering a military career either. My comment was probably more along the lines of a person who would want to watch a special on the History channel or something; I liked watching the people who knew what there were talking about compare stuff. Since I don’t know anything about it at all, I wouldn’t know what to ask.

Austin Lewis ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Wesker.
    Well that honestly depends on what you want to know about.

If you want a military career in the army or marines, you need to get to airborne school.

If you’ve got anything else you want to know, ask.

Mad Mike says:

Personally, I wonder about the group… the name seems to be taken from the “Vietnam Veterans Against The War” of old, most of whom were non-veterans but simply a strange hodgepodge of anti-war, anti-military, and pro-Marxist groups that hid behind a small handful of genuinely disillusioned military personnel (Lt. John Kerry for example).

I see nothing wrong with the game concept, even if it is somewhat sanitized… now, if they’d include more open-world adventure elements outlining base life and all that entails (including base transfers, deployment, and the difficulties of keeping personal relationships going through all of that), maybe it would be somewhat more useful than just showing them some stuff and say “this is what basic entails… this is what we do on training exercises… these are rules of engagement…”. The military has every right to put their point of view out there, just as this group has the right to explain theirs.

But 90 protesters constitutes an “annual meeting” for the group? Sounds like a publicity stunt on their behalf than anything. Trolling for new members much?

Steel Fire says:

I have to agree that this protest is not about the game, but about getting attention and making a general anti-war statement. Where have these protesters been for the last five years? The Army said from the beginning that the game was a recruitment and PR tool.

AA claims to have had 40 million downloads of the game and its patches. They say they have over 8 million registered accounts, with about half that many having completed the basic training portion. Geez, if a quarter of those people signed up, we wouldn’t have any shortage of military personnel. So, yeah, the game is really making people think war is like the game.

[…] The Iraq Veterans Against War recently held a protest at the Missouri Black Expo against the first person shooter title America’s Army. The game is available free of charge to anyone. It was developed and published by the United States government for both recruitment and public relation purposes. The protesters shouted the verse “War is not a game!”, hoping that the game would no longer be distributed. […]

Paul ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I agree with the veterans on this one. It’s quite a sleezy tactic for the Armed Forces to attempt to recruit people by making military life look “cool” through a videogame. Honestly though, you’d have to be pretty damn stupid to join the Armed forces because of that.

@Wookie — Rangers are trained heavier than “standard” Army soldiers, but they aren’t trained quite to the level of Special Forces (Green Berets). SEALS and Army Special Forces (and to a point, Air Force Combat Controllers) are usually seen as equivalent in my book — but it is not a solid standard to go by). Army Rangers and the US Marines (basically, the Dept. of the Navy “Rangers”) get somewhat equivalent training (from what I’ve seen).

Basically, Rangers aren’t the “best” — they are somewhat more “elite”, in that they get more and harder training than your typical soldier, but the “best” in the Army are the Special Forces (even more advanced training including S.E.A.R. school, something Rangers don’t get trained in, IIRC), and the “best of the best” are pulled from them.

Austin Lewis ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Delta Force is a unit made up of the top Rangers, Green Berets, SEALs, Force Recon, EODs, UDTs, and Airborne soldiers. All are Airborne qualified, all speak another language, and all are experts with all weaponry to be encountere in their area of operation.

Watch Black Hawk Down; the Delta Force soldiers are the ones in the black helmets.

An interesting note; these helmets are not bullet proof at all. They are made out of a high quality plastic with padding. They are made by Pro-Tec, a company that also makes skateboard helmets.

Some of the greatest helmets ever made, those Pro-tec helmets.

Unrated ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Guys, I may not like jack thompson, but he does not need to be attacked simply because he stated he was “This Century’s Nostradamus” Sounds more like jack is attempting humor then anything else. I know it is strange coming from him but he has done it a few times before on here.

Wookiee ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Aren’t the Rangers the best? I always thought it was them or the SEALS. How do they measure that sort of thing anyway? The least number of casualties in a unit? The mission success rate? About the only things I know about the Delta Force is from Chuck Norris movies. Being a classified special-ops unit, they’re veiled in mystery. Like ninjas!

Austin Lewis ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Hooah is the Army. Oorah is Marines. Booyah is Navy. And no one cares about what Air Force has to say.

Seriously though, none of my squadmates walk around saying ‘hooah’ in the civilian world except when on the phone with each other, so I’m gonna say that I’m 100% sure that JT never did anything with the Army.

Or really anything that benefited anyone other than himself ever.

jccalhoun graduate student ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I would really like to hear any current or ex-Marines comment on Jacko’s appropriation of their characteristic “hooah” phrase.

Jacko has never claimed to have served in the military and although he does it all the time it seems especially egregious in a posting about military.

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“And why do we constantly refer to exersises as war games as well?”

Because play fighting is *totally* different from, er, play fighting…

Yeah I don’t know what they’re on about. Military training doesn’t put you through the horrors of war either. They don’t sit recruits down and show them nasty bullet wounds (unless it’s the battlefield first aid training, but that just shows the aftermath, not what it looks like from the eyes of the shooter…)

Jim says:

Change the system? Is that just a general assertion you’re throwing out there, or something specific? The only drop in benefits in recent memory was when Clinton bludgeoned the operating and pension budget in the 1990s.

But when the the civilians vote for cutbacks in veterans benefits (the brass never have), other organizations run by current and former military step in. Check out people like Army Emergency Relief ( ).

The point is that soldiers get what they enlisted for. Just because one can’t comprehend the reason a rational individual, even with an education, signs up for life-threatening duty, doesn’t mean one should totally disregard it and claim coercion or some sort of manipulation.

Colleges, corporations, and volunteer organizations alike all offer incentives and push sentimental jargon to get people to sign up. However, that doesn’t mean that those who sign up are irrational, coerced zombies.

People on this site need to realize that intelligent individuals can and do join the Army for worthwhile, noble reasons. RESPECT it. Don’t blind yourself to protect your ego.

As to the game? It’s free, and it promotes some Army values. Nothing more.

Picho, playin the war gamez ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

So then the whole movie War Games is um..?

And why do we constantly refer to exersises as war games as well?

You know maybe thats the problem though, we arent taking the war like it is a game.

Justin says:

Jim says: “…you should know that the military take care of their own.”

Not entirely true. The military, like insurance companies, takes care the subset of “their own” that meet the requirements set forth by books of fine print. (Not that the fine print matters- they change the whole damn system to suit their needs.)

HandofCrom ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

America’s Army seems like another tool used by recruiters to reach people. I do not really see the difference between it and those dramatic commercials on TV. If there are general disreputable recruiting techniques, those should all be addressed, while if the veterans are concerned about the war in Iraq and our reasons for entering, they should focus on those. Focusing on America’s Army seems like an attention-getting technique, what other arguments are they presenting?

Run along, the grown-ups are talking.

Father Time ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I bet they already considered this, but I think it would have driven the point further if they had put people who had lost limbs in the front of the line.

Jim says:

Guess where Blackwater and the other PMOs get their soldiers? Retired US military. Private org’s just can’t put together the same kind of training the world’s finest soldiers get, sorry. As to pensions, a veteran 20-year career Army soldier retiring at SFC can get about 11k (plus medical) a year until permanent retirement, after which he gets full support. Officers and distinguished soldiers can get even better. Despite whatever issues you have with the military, and despite what the unverified washouts in the video have to say, you should know that the military take care of their own.

And Blackwater? They operate on a contractual basis. Once you’re off the roll, you’re off the roll. And I don’t think your kids get scholarships just because you worked as a merc. I checked their dental and it stinks, too.

Oh, and read JT’s comment. You just agreed with him. Congrats.

rapka says:

This reminds me of an army recruitment ad I saw. These college-age guys were playing the latest AA game and were getting pretty into it when the the on-screen soldier turned to face them and said “Hey! You want a real challenge?”. The ad then spouted the normal “join the army” crap. It was the most offensive thing I’ve ever seen in my life.

My point is that like many middle eastern terrorist groups, the army has now figured out that video games can be used to recruit the young and the foolish. I don’t really fault veterans who have seen what war is really like for protesting this.

Phoenix, Filmmaker says:

Wait…let me get this straight…did Jackie boy just admit to contradicting himself??? Four years ago he said that video games are in no way a representation of real life, therefore…you can’t be trained to kill from a video game…and now he’s saying that GTA (a third person shooter…not first person) is a murder simulator…….wtf?

shady8x says:

Maybe instead of making video games to recruit soldiers the army could perhaps pay their soldiers as much as the shadow corporations pay their mercs?

As far as I now merceneries get the same training, better pay and better equipment, way better medical benifits, also less legal liability…(until half a year ago that would have read NO legal liability at all…)
    not sure about pension but considering how US treats veterans of old wars, I would say mercs probably have a better pension as well..

So why the hell would anyone ever join the US armed forces???? Oh yes patriotism…good for them but if I was to do my patriotic duty I would do it as a merc…

As for the game, its fun to play but somehow I am not compelled to join the army or go out and kill people… Maybe the army should stop listening to Jack Thompson and realise that the game doesn’t help them at all, except maybe it brings some extra people to their website so maybe it does work better then tv commercials…

Jim says:

Nobody, even the game’s promoters tries to pretend America’s Army is a point-on-point simulation of real war. The game merely attempts to promote some values of the US Army through the game medium. My dad, an Army Air Assault vet of the first Gulf War, can’t play Halo to save his life. He does kick some serious GLA on C&C Generals, though. The dude that first got me into gaming was a Navy Special Warfare guy who let me play Doom on his PC.

Anyone with an AKO account should check out the video game forum set up by current soldiers who game and fight, as well.

Kincyr says:

@Jack Thompson

You are not this century’s Nostradamus. In fact, as Shoehorn said, the protestors said video games are in no way representative of real life, therefore you cannot train on a video game, which is the exact opposite of what you said about “murder simulators”

I am more of a Nostradamus than you: I have predicted the outcome of the last four presidential elections and the race of those responsible for the attacks on September eleventh. That’s five more correct predictions than you.

Benji says:

@Eville1: JT cannot possibly lie. Which obviously means that Cheney is either a hardcore gamer or a contract killer.

As for the topic at hand, if they were trying to be anti-Iraq then I’d say setting their sights on a video game is aiming pretty low. However, I see the point that they’re more protesting the overly glamourized image of the Army that it sells in its recruiting methods.
    I recall a news story long ago about how the glamorized image used in AA and other Army recruitment materials wasn’t the direction they originally were going to go with. But, the slogan “U.S. Army – Join Us And You Might Not Get Killed In Action” didn’t test well. Seriously, the Army is just like any other company. There’s plenty of people you can probably talk to to hear about what working there is REALLY like. But any company that’s hiring people is only going to talk about the good and spin any possible negatives in a positive light. I don’t see why the Army should be forced to recruit in a drastically different way from everyone else. Yes, the risks involved in joining the Army are somewhat greater than those of a code monkey’s job – but there’s plenty of ways for you to find that out, and if you’re joining the Army under the assumption that it’s 100% safe, I don’t think the Army alone can be blamed for your misconceptions.

Eville1 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Off topic..

You know, I was here when he said this and I totally forgot..I know it’s old but this just tickles me. This made me laugh so hard at work…

“nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.”

I’d also like to add..”Or vice president.” to that.

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“War is not a game!”

And? You seriously think people are “suckered” into being recruited because they think it is? I sincerely hope the Army’s recruitment/training process would weed out such people…

It’s no worse than stuff like implying chicks dig a man in uniform, that joining lets you travel the world, or paying for your education.

All useless if you get killed/injured. But they make great recruiting tools.

Ron says:

I’d like to protest this game too, because I thought it was a little complicated in the early stages and I kept failing the basic training mission where you throw a flash grenade in and storm some room. I must be really bad at FPS games.

Erik ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Jack’s “predictions” generally are so broad that of course they are going to come to pass. It is equivalent to saying if you let go of a baseball it will fall. Jack’s great predictions are basically, “Eventually someone who has played a video game will kill someone.” No freaking kidding. The gamer community is so eclectic and vast that of course there are going to be some criminals within it. There are also going to be choir boys and lawyers as well.

darkknight1212 says:

hmmm, what would a Jack Thompson quatrain look like?

“Behold the King of the Two of Take,
    Conspire he thus to poison the minds of youth,
    With images to the eyes of violence unmatched,
    Youth of the land copy these, sayeth the gray crusader.”

DCOW ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Miami Jack

Your actually correct, nostradamus wasn’t that accurate to begin with, and neither are you.

Just a snippet from the wikipedia entry of Nostradamus

“In contrast, most of the academic sources listed below maintain that the associations made between world events and Nostradamus’ quatrains are largely the result of misinterpretations or mistranslations (sometimes deliberate) or else are so tenuous as to render them useless as evidence of any genuine predictive power. Moreover, none of the sources listed offers any evidence that anyone has ever interpreted any of Nostradamus’ quatrains specifically enough to allow a clear identification of any event in advance.[1]”

get that Jack? making a broad statement doesn’t mean you said something specific years ago.

GameClucks says:

War is not a game, but war is the subject of many games, books, movies, and other stories. War is used as a metaphor in sports, in business, in the way we deal with other people. Human conflict always makes an interesting backdrop for entertainment.

The ancient greeks had a lot of gods, but the two that get the lion’s share of attention in the myths and plays, are Ares and Aphrodite. Mankind’s two greatest passions, Love & War. Always have been and forever will be.

Plus, context aside, AA is actually a really fun game.

Bildo says:

@ Gameboy

The game is a great idea as a recruiting tool. The game isn’t meant to change the way people think of the army its meant to grab someones attention who is interested and acctually bring them to the recruiting office.

Whether it is ethical or not to use the game as a recruiting tool is another issue. I say it’s no different than the ECA telling gamers on ads here on GP that, “If the government has their way, you won’t be able to play half the games on this website.” It’s all propaganda imo. Everyone has their right to say what they want to say though.

~the1jeffy says:

This is more of a generational thing, once again. Current soldiers laugh at the idea of recruiting/training with video games. I had the opportunity to visit with an old friend, a currently active soldier who is waiting to be re-deployed, over this weekend. After many rounds, I inevitably start talking about video games/politics. He said, that for soldiers, video games are a fun down-time, and that is all. He also said, that using them for recruiting isn’t really that great, because video games can’t in any way prepare a recruit for even simple basic training. So any recruit that comes in because of their penchant for ‘realistic’ war games, has plenty of chances to bail/fail out before being flung into active duty. This is well and truly a non-issue.

Erik ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Nostradamus Jack? Well the greatest quote I’ve ever heard regarding Nostradamus is that he shoots an arrow at a wall, and leaves it to the conspiracy artists to draw a bullseye around it.

But lets not get ahead of ourselves here Jack. You shouldn’t try to predict the future when you don’t even know whats going on in the present. Like you constantly referring to the Alabama case as though you weren’t tossed out on your ass.

BaronJuJu ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I think JT missed the point of the article entirely:

From the article:
    “We want people to know the truth about military service and that it’s not always what they say,” she said.

Dougherty said many potential recruits may not realize the consequences the prolonged war in Iraq may have on their service — increased chances of repeated deployment, extended tours of duty, a call back into war even after a contract expires and difficulty accessing benefits upon return. “

Now this I can understand, folks wanting all the facts about service life getting to the folks looking to join. I am all for that. They weren’t protesting the game at all but the fact the recruiters were only highlighting the certain parts. Americas Army is only one of their recruiting tools that just happen to be on display there at the time. Is ol’ JT seriously thinking that if the game wasn’t there that they wouldn’t have protested? Please.

I am working on my 16th year of military service and when folks talk to me about possibly joining I give them all the info, both the good and bad. No need to sugarcoat or hide facts from them, they deserve to know the whole story and make an educated decision from there.

Thad Ex Machina says:

“I made this point on ABC World News Tonight with Peter Jennings four years ago. Glad to see that the military’s finest finally agree with me.”

Did… did he just try to make a war protest about all about himself?

I feel ill.
    That’s poor taste even by Thompson’s standards.

Austin Lewis ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ BaronJuJu
    Actually my good man, there are specific groups that work with them, and are ‘attached’ to them, which means, for the time being, they become a part of the SF unit.
    As to getting them to the fight, that’s either the AirForce job or the job of the 160th SOAR.
    I do however understand your point.

Gameboy says:

I can understand their concern with the military using a free video game as part of their recruitment attempts. Still, I doubt playing that game has made anyone want to join the military. It may have done the opposite. What gamer actually wants to be placed in some of the scenarios they’ve played? Turok? Resident Evil? Call of Duty? Thanks for the offer, but no.

@ Jack Thompson

That’s awesome! We can just choose a few choice words from a statement, rearrange them and make a new statement to quote? So THAT’S how you do it all the time! This is a great new technique that I plan to enact immediately

So, in other news: Ebert believes games are art, Jessica Alba and I are married, fried foods build strong muscles, and the South has 10 of the 15 top states with the lowest obesity rates. Good knight, everyone. This has been Gameboy reporting. Think I’ll go eat some fried chicken, now.

Marlowe says:

America’s Army is not about “training” on a video game or desensitizing you or whatever the hell else Thompson and Grossman say, it’s about making military service seem great. When you see a commercial for the military it’s the same thing, you aren’t being trained simply by watching people slide down a rope from a helicopter you’re being made to think that joining the military will be an exciting and beneficial venture. So this has nothing to do with whether or not video games are training devices, they’re not, it does however have to do with whether or not one could use a video game for propaganda, in which case the answer is a resounding “of course they can,” you can use a poster for propaganda that doesn’t mean we should think any less of paper. I applaud these vetrans in their fight against the pretty cheap tactics by the military recruiters of taking advantage of an extremely popular medium to paint a false picture of military service, this has nothing to do with whether or not you support video games or freedom of speech or what have you, only whether you support false and dangerous advertising by our government.

BaronJuJu ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The comment was directed a JT, not you.

Also, if you think that SF are only the “finest” then I think you have a very skewed view of the military in my opinion. Remeber its all those who you don’t consider “The finest” that get the SF to their locations to do their jobs, from the intel guys, to the mechanics, pilots etc. I am not knocking SF in any way, I applaud their efforts in what they do but there are tons more out there in harms way everday doing the job just as well.

dustin1986 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“And yeah, you missed the point that these veterans are there saying actually killing is nothing like a video game, way to ginore the fatcs for the umpteenth time.”

He picks and chooses all of his facts. He’ll say anything if it supports his argument for the moment, even if he contradicts himself.

chris says:

Nostrodamus was almost never right, he gained noteriatey because his vague ramblings were numerous enough to statistically hit at least once, the rest were shoddily interpreted to mean any old events, he was a quack, much like you.

gs2005 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

John Bruce Thompson-get back to chasing your massacres, which is the only thing you have proven to be good at, since you are too inept to win any legal fights you pick with the video game industry.

E. Zachary Knight ( User Karma: 1 ) says:

@ Jack

Of course your this centuries Nostradamus. Your predictions are only right when interpreted incorrectly or by the ignorant. Any intelligent person can see right through your lies.

Also I find you agreeing with these people that “War Is Not a Game” funny considering your stance on games.

Could you please clarify that point.

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

Black Manta ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Jack Thompson

Because it can’t be stressed enough, especially with regards to this article, stop using “Hooha!” you asshole! It’s an insult to these soldiers and everyone else in the military who visits here.

Enjoy your little jab while you can. If I recall, don’t you have a disciplinary hearing to go to today? I can play Nostradamus too. I predict today’s going to be a really bad day for you.

Tye The Czar says:

Well, America’s Army was not made as a training tool as much as what Dennis says to be, “a first-person shooter using simulated military weapons, is given away for free by the Army as a recruitment and public relations tool.” I think too now that this is kind of propaganda for getting the young to join the armed forces, oy. If you don’t come to similar terms with my opinion (if it is), then just tell us in as rational a way as possible.

T5 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Austin Lewis

I understand that fully, i just wanted to show that firing of US attorneys for any reason is nothing new, Clinton fired 93, Bush 8. It was to merely poke holes in his argument and show the absurdity of the fact that this became an issue at all.

Austin Lewis ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ T5 and Ias
    If you work in the White House or for it, you are employed at the president’s pleasure. This means you can be let go for any reason at any time.
    These particular people who were fired were supposed to be looking into the 04 elections to investigate voter fraud. Instead, they did little to no work but still drew a paycheck. This is the reason they were fired.

T5 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Wow! 90! Thats almost as many US attorneys Clinton fired (@las, Attorney)

As for the issue, the idea of training on a video game for military service is questionable. Unless Im going into battle with a 360 controler and a Shield that recharges im not inclined to chance it.

KitsuFox_FOX says:

If they’re going after America’s Army because “war is not a game” then I’ve got two different statements to make:

1. War is, effectively, a game played with real lives. It may not seem like it but it has all the strategizing of a game. Planning, executing, backup moves, etc., are all elements of a game. It doesn’t look like a game, but in reality you could consider it as much of a game as Tic-Tac-Toe. Therefore, saying ‘war is not a game’ is illogical, because what else can you call war? We can’t just call it “war” because that’s too vague. What is war, then? A sport? A hobby? An international pasttime? Is it research? What is it? Since War isn’t a game, what just -is- war?

2. If you’re going to go after America’s Army for being a game based around the real U.S army, you may as well just go after every First-Person Shooter that has to do with any War in general. Even fake wars. Why? Because “war is not a game.” If it’s not a game, then why can it be made so easily into a game? Do fictional wars count? Or is it just war entirely in general? If war is not a game, then why do we have games ABOUT war?

Lastly, their protest does absolutely nothing due to the lack of impact they certainly have. Saying “War is not a game!” is so vague that no one would ever give it serious thought. It doesn’t account for, well, anything at all. It doesn’t mention any games about war, it doesn’t try to mention anything even related to the war. I just wonder, have these people even looked at America’s Army? Or rather, any game that uses real military firearms as weapons?

Austin Lewis ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’m saying its not the finest because the finest don’t complain. People who come back and piss and moan are the low end of the totem pole, and often people who made their own experience in Iraq worse via compaining or being a complete douche.

Also, people from Aircav and Infantry units aren’t the finest. SF units are the finest, and if you can’t figure that out then you need to learn about the military.

BlackIce says:

Also, you would actually do something to help if you told the US government that. As recruitment for the Armed Forces dwindles, the State is starting to advertise war to gamers.

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@DavCube, I remember a lot of Thompson’s antics. Maybe I’m just in a good mood today, but I really can’t get myself energised enough about Thompson’s comments to drop to his level.

Besides, if Thompson is going to claim that Real Life is something completely different from a computer game, I’m not going to disagree with him.

DavCube ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ GoodRobotUs

You do remember his spurt of Caps Lock euphoria, don’t you?

@ BearDogg-X

That’s just what i was going to say. He said it wasn’t a true application of real-life. That does NOT mean he said War games = Murder Simulators.

Austin Lewis ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Jack Thompson
    Stop coming on these boards to masturbate to your inflated sense of self worth. If I claimed I knew what was responsible for people killing other people, I could go on talk shows and lie to America too.

As for these ‘veterans’ I wonder how many really are veterans and how many are just your typical war is bad and games are bad retards. I don’t know a lot of veterans who came back from Iraq complaining, no matter how much they got fucked up.

Now, I DO know a lot of guys who complained while they were there, but that’s due to a “second verse, same as the first” lifestyle.

As to Jack Thompson’s claim that this is the military’s finest, it’s utter bullshit. The 1st Special Forces Operational Detachment – Delta (more commonly known as Delta Force) is the finest, and they also are smart enough to know that this kind of thing is bullshit because the premise is flawed. They also don’t complain, and all have degrees (mainly in psychology).

In conclusion, never say HOOAH again Jack, you slimy little bitch.

Austin Lewis.

tony selby ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

however, upon further inspection, it was made just before the his post in the story underneath this one (Dennis commented in his post which leads me to believe it’s the real jack), so actually I’m somewhat inclined to believe it is him

GP: Yeah, it’s him.

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

It’s the ‘;)’ thing, I’ve never seen Jack use a smiley before, that’s why I’m willing to accept it’s either not Jack, or Jack being tongue-in-cheek.

tony selby ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’m going to have to go with thats a fake jack, mostly because i can’t see him actually knowing how to use a smiley (however he may have asked his son, i don’t know)

Kajex ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Jack

This century’s Nostradamus?

1. Aren’t you a Baptist? If so, why believe in that Nostradamus crap?

2. Is that why you’re so vague when you make your predictions, so that you can say, like Pat Robertson, “well, see, it was KIND OF like what I said, so I was right”?

3. You actually take Nostradamus seriously?

Hey. You ARE this century’s Nostradamus! A fear-mongering, anti-social dingbat with nothing better to do than run around trying to convince people that you’re right and everyone else is wrong, even though normal people know better.

BearDogg-X says:

@ Jack Thompson

I honestly believe that you failed reading comprehension when you going to school.

The 90 Iraq war veterans were protesting the war in Iraq, not the game.

Practice what you preach: Grow up and get a life.

Shoehorn O'Plenty ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Jack Thompson:

“I made this point on ABC World News Tonight with Peter Jennings four years ago.”

You made the point that video games are in no way representative of real life? Or that you cannot train on a video game? Surely that’s against everything you have been saying up til now…

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

To elaborate further, as has been pointed out time and time again, games can’t train you for killing because games are not realistic, warfare has been described as ‘Long periods of boredom followed by short periods of terror’, no game can ever, or will ever prepare you for that, games are more like fairground rides, where you choose to scare yourself in a nice, safe environment without any danger, they have little, if anything in common with reality.

Anyway, reading your statement, I agree, it’s basically about conditions and contracts and the fact that they are glossed over during recruitment.

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Shoehorn, I understand what you’re saying, my statement is more around the fact that people seem to assume that someone who is good at America’s Army is somehow cut out to be a soldier when in truth a lot of the job is public relations and NOT reaching for your gun the moment you feel challenged. The whole idea that Violent Video Games are training tools for soldiers suggests that many people have a ‘Rambo’ conception of the US military, something that is over-exaggerated outside of the US and really shouldn’t be fortified with something like America’s Army.

That in part is why I take exception to the idea that Video Games are used to train soldiers, obviously it’s partly around the fact that no game can prepare you for a real battle zone, where people you talk to and joke/argue with every day can die in horrific manners, but also the assumption that being a Soldier is ONLY about leapfrogging around a battlefield looking for things to shoot. Many soldiers in the coalition died not because they were fighting the enemy, but because they were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Jack Thompson ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Hooah! Jack Thompson (This Century’s Nostradamus 😉 )

Shoehorn O'Plenty ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I don’t believe this is so much over comparing real combat with a video game or the silly proposition that you can train on one.

According to one of the protestors in the article, the reason for the protest is the misrepresentation of military life by this game. “We want people to know the truth about military service and that it’s not always what they say,”

I agree, and think that America’s Army is a pretty cynical and underhanded way of trying to get young people to sign up, when as far as I know, recruitment targets are not being met. Trying to make military service seem cool when in fact it’s probably one of the most difficult, and with the current political climate, dangerous jobs going.

“Dougherty said many potential recruits may not realize the consequences the prolonged war in Iraq may have on their service — increased chances of repeated deployment, extended tours of duty, a call back into war even after a contract expires and difficulty accessing benefits upon return.

“People who are considering joining the military should know the truth so they can make an informed decision,” she said.”

You can’t make life decision based on a video game. Video games are a big part of my life but they do not effect any other aspect of my life. I could play a war game but no matter how much of a bad-ass I was made seem in the game, no matter how much they sugar coated the experience and made it seem like the right thing to do, I would never join the armed forces. Anyone who would make a decision to join the army based on a video game should really have their head examined.

las, Attorney says:

I disagree. In fact, I think more Departments should make games based on their departments.

For example, the Department of Justice should release a game based on firing Prosecutors just because they won’t toe your party’s line. The game ends when the public and Congress gets so pissed off with your lies and question-dodging that you have to resign in shame.

Or what about games based on illegal wiretapping or setting up illegal prisons, all in the name of counter-terrorism?

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Well, that’s Grossmans’ ‘theories’ knocked on the head by the very people who were allegedly trained using War Games.

Personally, I’ve always been inclined to agree with them, that the idea of pretending that real combat is anything like a Video Game is wrong, and people who claim otherwise are doing a dis-service to those who have fought and died in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Asoldier says:

@ Baramos

You’d be surprised the number of first person shooter games they play. I play America’s Army when I get bored. While it’s not a true realistic battle simulation game, it is fun and there are over 10,000,000 people world wide that play this game. It has been ranked as one of the top 10 online games every year since 2002.

BTW, those of us that play AA, play Medal of Honor, Call of Duty and others.

Two years in the hot sand and I agree with all of you that say a game cannot prepare nor should it be the basis of your decision. You cannot teach the harsh realities of war through game or really even through conventional means.
    Watching your buddies die, and killing. These are things you have to experience to understand.