Early Manhunt 2 Version Reportedly Leaked Online

A number of game media outlets are reporting that an apparent early PS2 build of Manhunt 2 has been leaked online. According to Kotaku:

Though credited to Rockstar-unaffiliated Team Slonik the software had to come from somewhere and YouTube clips are already appearing for public consumption—meaning this could become a quite literal torrent of bad press for Rockstar…who was finally (kinda) out of the fire for Hot Coffee.

A note included with the download, which is available on both Usenet and via Bittorrent, reads:

Greetz to the scene. Here we have the kick ass game (Manhunt 2 Banned Uncut Version) from Team Slonik.

Fan site Projectmanhunt, which broke the story, has more.

GP: It’s hard to tell what impact this development – if it’s even true – will have on the continuing Manhunt 2 controversy. Should the release prove to be genuine, could it have been made by a beta tester? Disgruntled employee? Rockstar itself as some form of viral marketing?

That last option seems unlikely, given all that R* went through with the 2005 Hot Coffee fiasco. And, if Hot Coffee required jumping through hoops to access, this release also poses technical challenges to the average gamer.

For its part, the mysterious Team Slonik is sporting a Russian Gmail address. A soundless trailer uploaded to YouTube yesterday has been removed. However a copy – now with background music (unknown if it’s authentic in-game soundtrack) has replaced it:

Mattron says:

Manhunt 1 is an awesome fucking game, I was awed by the gore, And I can’t wait for the release of the second one on halloween, although they edited the SHIT out of it.. for example…

When you go for an execution, LOADS OF MOTION BLUR, AND DARKENED SCREEN CONTRAST… What the fuck!?

So now, Were just guessing what the fuck is going on at this point…

Unless its in a well lit area, Still gets me pissed though… Because you will probably JUST be able to see it a little.

MANHUNT 1 had complete gore, Able to see, gore, May I add.

Canto says:

I understand the nature of the game, thus I stated that I assumed the combat to be intentionally bad (given that killing someone with your barehands is hard for the untrained). But you use you button to punch, or punch hard, then could add more variety, or they may later on. I don’t think it was banned for the feces, which while disgusting isn’t really violent. I’m sure more examples will come up as it is played through.

Baramos says:

Yes, the original Manhunt didn’t get interesting gameplay until about halfway through it when 1. Firearms were thrown into the equation, both for you and the enemies, and 2. the difficulty got pretty vamped up. I had hoped Manhunt 2 would not repeat this mistake but you fill me with sadness. Despite this though the review of the uncut version seemed to carry an 8/10 so it’s probably not as shallow as you make out.

Does it still have that move where you hit somebody as they come around a corner?

Baramos says:

Your post has demonstrated to me that there are people out there who don’t even know the basic plot of the Manhunt games. Yes, it’s a lone man versus hundreds of sick lunatics. This is the “Manhunt” part of the title: YOU are the one being hunted, so you must turn their tactics back on them and hunt THEM. But if you’re seen you’re usually brutally beaten to death by half a dozen of them. Lovely.

Did some people really take this as you hunt men? Well, you do stalk them, but they are in the meantime stalking you, and they have a lot more members…well, anyway, I’m sure there are people out there completely unaware that that was even the basic idea of the game.

Say what you want about the actual violence of the games, but the idea of a single murderer taking out a gang of white supremacists serial killers (Manhunt) isn’t really as TERRIBLE as people make it out to be.

It’s kind’ve like if Joe Schmoe Homicide committer took down a hundred Zodiac killers. Or at least that’s my take on it. 😉 (though James Earl Cash is probably a serial killer himself…I think the main theme was “a bunch of wannabe sickos try to take on a real oldskool badass sicko and get their guts handed to them”, which if you’re a fan of simple grittiness is a plot to love).

Canto says:

I have played through a bit of the Manhunt 2 “beta” release. I’m finding that the graphics obscure a good deal of the violence, though this is the first game where I’ve had feces thrown at me. Also, although there are frequent bugs and numerous glitches, the first couple stages seem completely intact, it’s not at the level of the Half Life 2 or Doom 3 where you could barely understand how the game was put together. All the mechanics are working here, but I’ve yet to encounter anything that I haven’t already seen in other violent games like Resident Evil, Silent Hill, or even the first Manhunt aside from the scatological thing mentioned above.
    Also as far as narrative is concerned, there seems to be no real legitimation for the killing aside from “kill or be killed”, which makes me disconnect for the character and environs, there doesn’t seem to be a lot going on here aside from brutally executing people. It also might have the most shallow combat I’ve ever encountered.

Mnementh2230 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

What I particularly love about Mr. Thompson is his inability to answer ANY of the comments we post in any of these threads.

Freakin TROLL.

Erik ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

And just how ridiculous is Jack going to look when he realizes that the anti-piracy measures in place in the PS2 make this leak of data worthless without a chipped system. The chips, being both illegal and a bit dangerous to install in your system without ruining it due to having to solder.

Erik ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“Thanks for this, Dennis. This makes the deconstruction of Take-Two easier. Appreciate it. Oh, and on the legal front:”

And just how many times has Take-Two done something that you have claimed would allow you to destroy them? Yeah I lost count also.

@Papa Midnight

Relax, as stated, the interest to try the game is for the purpose of investigation due to so many conflicting reports here. I am no pirate by any means. I do believe however that my consoles are mine to do with as I see fit & that includes modding them to play games or to hold gold fish.

Zerodash ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Now, I assume JT is planning on claiming that this leak was intentional by R* as part of their “conspiracy”.

After all, it is more important to get your software out FOR FREE to all the minors with modded PS2s and the know-how to burn PS2 ROMS (all children know how to do this).

If you can successfully argue that R* would rather distribute its games for FREE rather than charge for them…you win.

Mutantemeco says:

@Hack Thompson.

Mr.Thompson please don’t stop posting here. Your surreal posts fuel some great internet comedy.

Mutantemeco, Gamer/Slacker compulsive masturbator and your not.

Mnementh2230 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This doesn’t hurt T2 at all, dumbass. It can’t.

#1 – it’s an alpha, or pre-alpha release. Barely playable
    #2 – they’re not selling it.

Its not their fault if some kid gets their hands on it – blame the parents.

As for this “speech code” stuff, that doesn’t mean you win. It just means you go down screaming.

Jack Thompson ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

A Federal District Court has just struck down bar “speech code” rules that The Florida Bar is using to silence me. I win.

Jack Thompson, Attorney and You’re Not

Picho ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Dude, what ever the background music is, its pretty awsome.

You know though.. If the last guy was the main character, it looked almost as if man hunt 2 would be a kinda fight for survival vs a bunch of crazed lunitics.

Be kinda cool of the story line was, “You are a docter working in a medical facicitly with the most deprave degenerate madmen the world has ever seen. Due to lack of funds for even the most basic of matiness or security due to the states constant spending on insane unconstiutional laws, there is a power failure in the building that causes the doors to unleash several hundred lunatics. These crazy guys begin slaughtering the entire staff, who is under armed and under prepared. You are one of the last few remaining. Survive.” Then the ending would be like “Graduations, you have survived and crossed the threshold. In slaying the madmen, you yourself have become crazy as well.”

DarkTetsuya ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Black Manta:

Somehow I doubt it. Remember, this is the same guy that subpoena’d the President of the United States in what’s probably a move to get the Florida bar off his case (only half so-to-speak) and you’ve seen the other stunts he’s pulled in real life, who else could it be?

Kincyr ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Black Manta
    I’m sure JT is using religion to get his son to do what he wants. I can imagine him saying “do what I say or burn in hell, that’s the 4th commandment.”

hilaryduffgta ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I still think its freakin hilarious that some of the people here still have trouble believing its actully jt that does those posts…

trust me its Jacky boy

I can’t help but look up at prior post and see just how willing people are openly willing to violate the DMCA… Then again, I can’t help but wonder if Take-Two would give a damn since people in America will be playing the uncensored version the way it was meant to be played (given the availability of a mod-chip and/or swap disc).

@ GRU

I never really said I thought it was R*/TT but that it is just very convneient

also, no way this release was from a pressing house

its a beta at best from what I can tell and have read. this was made in-house for testing and whatnot and contains scenes that were given the AO rating.

I will, just for shits and grins, give a try and see what’s up, if what others have reported about it are true, that its buggy and some parts don’t work, yadda yadda.

just in the interest of science 😉

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I find it kind of hard to believe they’d be that silly TCS, it might increase media coverage, but it would be a destructive way of doing it, not just to reputation, but also to profits, which is the sole purpose of Rockstar writing a game. As has been suggested, a more likely source is one of the European pressing houses, which is a source for a lot of pre-release leaks.

Whilst I’ve seen R* do some dumb stuff, it’d be like deliberately releasing BioShock on the net before it hit the shops, that would ultimately be shooting themselves in the foot.

I can definitely confirm that the Manhunt 2 illegal release is indeed real. It is currently posted on usenet in the usual PS2 places and is readily downloaded there for play on a modded PS2

It had to have been leaked on the developer end, either a beta tester or someone along those lines as has been previously suggested.

Although it SURE is convenient for R* & TT to have this come out and keep the media fires burning.

Jmcc ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

No, I wasn’t joking. I don’t stay up on workarounds for burned games, I’d just heard several news outlets making a big deal about this new mod that only uses a memory card slot.

DavCube ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Sammy, you should see Dennis’ 4-Part rebuttal about him. Put his name in the search bar in this site, it’ll come up. Jack and Dennis have a bit of a history, which shows in those articles, specifically the last one, where he links to several voice mails he left him that make Jack sound strikingly similar (though not in the same context, thank god) as that old man with the walker in Family Guy.

That, and check out his wikiquote page. That should end your skepticism pretty damn quick.

Mutantemeco says:

The damn game is finally coming edited or not. Don’t forget no region coding on the PSP . Just import the dutch UNCUT version of the game and your set. ROCKSTAR CANNOT BE STOPPED.

DavCube ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I was skeptical once before, Sammy. It’s common. But Dennis edited someone’s post further up, saying it actually was him, and he can tell by checking the IP he’s using or something like that. And by this point, it’s his word we look too to see whether he’s real or not. XD

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Sammy, IP address, anyone pretending to be JT has their post deleted and their IP address banned, the author of the site has frequent (oh so frequent) Emails and other contacts from him, and therefore leaves any posts that are from the real JT.

PHOENIXZERO ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

And yet, you’re getting so defensive about it. All you had to say is something like “whoops I forgot to mention” or just left out the word “chip”, but then you come back with a rant pissing and moaning about spending two hours nitpicking. I doubt anyone has spent more than five minutes doing that. I’m willing to bet you spent more time on your last post/rant than any of us who’ve replied to you. Loosen up.

kurisu7885 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

My thoughts exactly. And this isn’t a new ocurance. The Half Life 2 source engine got leaked, an early version of Doom 3 got leaked. Really the only true way to prevent things like this is to take internet access away from development areas, and even that wouldn’t make it completely foolproof.

Iniquus ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Really, I don’t see much coming out of this, assuming it doesn’t cause a big stir. I’d say it’s pretty safe to assume Rockstar didn’t leak it. So with that in mind, I think the worst thing that will happen is they get investigated (probably not officially though) and the game is delayed. Or they delay it for their own investigation and to change a few things. I’m really not that worried.

DarkTetsuya ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I gotta wonder how JT manages to survive living a life of such constant dissapointment.

Well, ignorance is bliss after all, and JT must overdose on it daily to the point where nothing seems to affect him.

I gotta wonder. Is there a list somewhere of everytime Jacko has been wrong?

LMAO… I don’t think such a list would be possible… I mean he’s usually wrong every time he opens his mouth, right? So just go with that. (d.vel.oper is right tho, just go read up on his fiction over at wikiquotes for a goldmine)

And about the trailer itself… I’m wondering if it’ll be like that one game midway did, I forget the name… where you can also get a good ending depending on your actions. Unless I”m remembering it wrong (genuinely, that is, as opposed to Jack Thompson-esque ‘Selective memory’ method of recall.)

Murry ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Indeed. I gotta wonder. Is there a list somewhere of everytime Jacko has been wrong? I mean I know its gotta be a long list but it might be chuckleworthy. I only just recently found out about the Sims2 thing and him calling the Running with Scissors Jew-haters. I figure theres gotta be more hilarity i’ve still missed out on.

hmm. That would be interesting really.. Remember how Jacko took that posterboard printout into court one day and held it up constantly to try and irritate the judge? It would be neat if for Jackos disbarment hearing he walked into court to to big posters, one with every wrong accusation or claim hes made and the other every legal failure hes racked up over the last few years since he started his crusade against games.

Course seeing as that list is damn near updated daily anymore, I guess they would have to get a rush job on that the morning of the trial. Or use sticky notes!

Namrepus221 says:

No I wasn’t “intentionally giving wrong info”

Yikes. When did this forum become about nitpicking every little mistake in one single post. Oh jeez, I didn’t write “…or a softmod…” let’s harp on that for the next couple of hours because it’s SOOOOOO important to the discussion. Oh I obviously don’t know a thing about modding because even though I gave a correct answer to the question it wasn’t the “approved” correct answer to the question and therefore I must be an idiot and should not join the discussion.

The point was gotten across regardless: Even if you have a PAL system, you won’t be able to play a copied/burned game unless you have a modification to your system that will allow such games to be played. Be it chip, softmod, boot exploit, or other such thing.

Isn’t that the main gist of what this whole side discussion has been about?

chrislovespills says:

its probley not even him and look at use all lol and even if it is just ignore him that will annoy him more than anything

anyway all i says was i thought coz the download is PAL i thought the people in the UK could play it without a chip after they burn it

Father Time ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Little too much coffee perhaps?

Anyway, from what I hear these betas/demos/videos/whatever the hell they are don’t feature a ton of violence. What a pity. It looks like I might need the PAL version, or do I need a chip to play it?

AgnostoTheo ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

*looks up at Jack’s Post in shock* anyone willing to place money that that’s actually coming from his kid? I’d LIKE to think that Jack isn’t that infantile… Then again…. It IS Jack…

And just to ask. How’d R* destroy itself?

Rob says:

See? Jack Thompson proves why you cannot trust a religious therapist because all people who follow religion, and believe it, are delusional and will not admit to it. Of course the guy would say Jack Thompson is sane, they’re both the same types of people who think they’re messengers/warriors of God, like our delusional ass President.

I apologize to all of the fine upstanding religious people out there that I offend, but to follow your religion so blindly is foolish in anyone’s case.

d.vel.oper ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Perhaps they are taking a page from your repertoire, eh? It seems that every time you open that pompous pair of lips you’re actually relishing the taste of reality as it engulfs the usual misplaced ideological drivel you always seem to be spewing. You have yet to get a single point across in the years you’ve wasted on this ‘crusade’. With each sentence you speak or even write, you are confirming what we’ve known all along.

You’re nuts dude.
    Certifiable. Disillusioned. Disenchanted.
    Worst of all, disgusting.

Here’s an idea Jack, and I want you to take this to heart. If what you’re fighting for is what you say it is, why not take all of your lawyerly clout (ha) and wisdom (haha) and apply it to going after the people who do the things in real life that you are so against seeing in video games, hmm? Would that not benefit the children more?

After all, won’t somebody think of the children?

Citizen_Snips says:

I was kind of hoping it was really him. It proves my theory that he makes an ass out of himself any time he opens his mouth. that or his brain has rewired itself so he thinks he is wining when he is actually losing, all the time. I think they call that Wimp Lo syndrome.

Erik ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

And how is this any different from all the other times you claimed that Take-Two destroyed itself? Oh thats right, its not. But you are known for keeping quite a tidy inventory of your chicks before the eggs are hatched, or even laid.

Namrepus221 says:

I have a PS2 with a mod chip, and one with a self installed fliptop softmod with boot discs

So to say that I don’t know anything about modding consoles is kinda moot.

I just believe in chips over softmods. Namely for compatability, expandability, and ease of use. I’m sorry but after the 500th time, swaping a disc out gets annoying. I’d rather just skip that and go straight to playing my imports.

E. Zachary Knight ( User Karma: 2 ) says:

@ Jack Thompson

How can they be destroying themselves when this copy of the game was stolen from them?

@ GP

“actually, that’s the real thing… such as it is…”

How very sad. His psyche has really been blown hasn’t it.

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

kurisu7885 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Jack Thompson

Jack, we all know you have problems with reading, so let me spell it out for you.

See the word leak? A leak, is an unintentional release of gas, liquid, or in this case, data. Now, note the word unintentional, that mean this was likely not done by the company themselves. It was either an employee or a hacker. This type of thing happens all the time. A Doom 3 alpha leak and a Half Life 2 leak happened a couple years ago, so this is nothing new.

Citizen_Snips says:

that has to be without a doubt the worst JT impression ever. wtf are you stoned and thought it would impress your other stoner friends?

GP: actually, that’s the real thing… such as it is…

Dewgy says:

Citizen_Snips: Yes, it’s pretty easy, but you have to understand that for most people it’s not as simple as you think. I know a few people who would come to me to install the most simple things for them (not even modifications, we’re talking RF switches here) simply because they had a deathly fear that they’d mess things up. Plus, you need to know where to buy the things you need, what to buy, so on and so forth. My main point was more that someone like “chrislovespills” up there won’t have a very easy time of figuring out what to do with that illgotten set of files even if he does manage to figure out how to put them on a disc, and that’s pretty much your average mainstream consumer right there.

hellscaper: Excellent suggestion and your username is awesome.

PeterWDawson says:

If this really is a beta then we have broken agreement on our hands, since private betas aren’t supposed to be made public, meaning a DMCA action is very likely. I mean, you just know some broken record anti-gamer (hopefully not Mr JT as I do try to give him some credit, I’m thinking more like Yee) is going to jump on this. Rockstar needs to salvage the situation before it snowballs.

Sammy says:

For history sake, this reminds me of the leaked Sonic 2 beta cartridge that was stolen many years ago.

Altough the sonic beta is still enjoyable and interesting in many ways (if you knew the cheat code so you could get past the shitload of unplayable parts).

I bet there’s some pretty interesting stuff in this “beta” that won’t make it in the retail version.

I’d download that but I don’t own a ps2… oh well.

Veranish says:

Ironically, chrislovespills is most likely one of those 12 year olds trying to figure out how to do this. I know! Every AO game should have a mathmatical/physics related problem in order to purchase/buy. Problem mostly solved.

EvilZombie says:

Someone posted on a forums I go to a link to watch them play ManHunt 2 live. I watched for a few minutes, but he wasn’t to good at the game and it got boring,lol. The video feed is pretty laggy to.

Dewgy says:

Besides, modchips are just the most technically advanced way of getting it done, and don’t require flaws built into the machine by the manufacturer in order to function; so they’re the method that goes most against the DMCA (which although it’s a load of restrictive junk has a much worse chance fighting something that just exploits an existing workaround), and it’s understandable why the ESA decided to target those first.

Not only that but people have been under the misconception that chipping is the only way to play pirated/import/backup games for a long time before the ESA stuck their nose into the business.

PHOENIXZERO ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Maybe you were joking but that’s been around for over three or four years years now.

You clearly aren’t familiar with modding the PS2 so it would be wise to not comment.

If I wanted to I could check it out also but I don’t feel like playing a beta of a game just to see what may have been censored. I’ll just wait for the NTSC retail release and then read about the differences people encountered.

chrislovespills says:

well i am from the UK and the download is PALso if i burned it to a cd how could u get to play it remember the download is PAL and so is my tv and ps2

d.vel.oper ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

My PS2 isn’t chipped, yet I can play games just fine. Softmods ftw.

As far as this, the game does actually feel very unfinished, but I have an NTSC PS2 and I converted it from PAL, so that may result in the lag I’m seeing. I haven’t come across anything all that gruesome honestly, but there is a strip club level I just got to, so that may contribute to the AO rating as well. If this really is a ‘retail’ version of the game though, I think I’m going to be highly disappointed, the controls are horrible and the camera is retarded.

Namrepus221 says:

No. YOu can’t play copied games without a mod chip. You can play copied DVD’s fine. but there is different coding for copied games. Regardless of region coding.

chrislovespills says:

not intending but the download version is PAL so those in the UK should be able to play it after u burn it to cd but i dont know if u need a chipped ps2 coz my ps2 played copyed dvds and its not chipped. R* should make a statment soon on this issue about the game being leaked

JC says:

I caught the videos on youtube, but they were removed in about 10 minutes by Rockstar.
    I saw nothing surprising in the videos, and no gore at all. At most, there were some blood stains on the clothing of characters, but pretty tame compared to the horrors of many horror movies.

Mind you, I never played a Manhunt game though. Isn’t there suppose to be gore in the scenes and during cutscenes? Someone explain the supposed violence?
    It’d make Yee look like an idiot if he stated he must use a law to protect kids from “this”

Murry ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

in the end Rockstar isnt responsible for pirated copies of their games, leaked pirate copies, or even videos of their game with now deleted content being posted on the web. Im sure people (read, JT and co) will shit a brick over this but at the end of the day theres not one thing anyone can do against Rockstar. A most the ERSB could try making them pay a fine and even that would be a chore as they would have to prove Rockstar leaked the footage/game in the first place.

Genocyde ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Jmcc: Yeah, that’s coming out, but at the moment you still need to either break open your PS2 and the soldering iron or get a fat PS2 with a network adaptor and HDD in order to play this properly.

And to those saying this will hurt sales, I disagree. Playing this beta is akin to having a demo of a full, polished game. I personally have this and have yet to play it, but I’m still lined up to purchase the finished product come October, I’m sure there’s many more in the same boat.

Mr.Feather says:

Yeah, after seeing it again I can tell that character is a woman. It just seemed liked the face and the hair matched Thompson’s face for some reason. I guess I need more sleep…

Jmcc ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“Correct me if I’m wrong. But wouldn’t a kid (or anyone) also need a mod-chip hacked PS2 in order to play this or any pirated games?”

Well, there IS that new “mod chip on a memory card” dealie that’s supposed to be coming out soon. So, you don’t really need any hardware modification to play pirated games anymore.

Mr.Feather says:

I hope this doesn’t cause any problems mentioning this but does anyone notice how much the doctor at the end of the video thats getting choked out by Daniel look suspiciously like Thompson?

CKarinja says:

@The Central Scrutinizer

That’s a possibility, but I can’t say much otherwise. I don’t expect to test out the version that leaked it’s way online, so I won’t know for a fact. But I’m sure that could be a video used for the ESRB.

xzero87 says:

@ Desmond

I would assume the answer to that is “yes”, considering that (last I heard) even on the best generally-available computer hardware, PS2 emulators run at pathetic framerates.

CKarinja says:

I’m sure that there are kids that can work out BitTorrent and the like, but I don’t think that a majority would utilize such. I could be wrong though. The media will say what they’ve read, but not give the whole story out.

It is a pirated copy and will hurt sales. What I’m wondering is if the copy (Or copies if there are multiple releases) are legitimate copies of what the full game will be.

CKarinja says:

Haha, PlayItBogart gets a real good point across. If this story gets picked up by the media, it would be absurd to claim it has kids getting it easier. I doubt that many kids would understand how to work BitTorrent files, create a cd using the image file like BIN, etc.

My question is, is this the real legit Adults Only version or is it indeed a beta-type version? Dewgy states it seems like a beta-type, but Skelta says otherwise. Anyone have any information on it, or are there more releases than just this one?

PlayItBogart says:

Now children everywhere will be exposed to the Adults-Only version of Manhunt 2! Every child, even if they don’t own a modified PS2 or don’t have the brains to work ISO/BIN files!

inb4 jack thompson, tl;dr sekret R* conspiracy to release original manhunt 2 for free, corrupt america’s youth, lose profit, ???, profit!

Skelta says:

Seems we’re not talking about the same release then. Until now there are at least three. People report that one of them is a subtitled EU version. None of them reports any bugs or unfinished stuff. Besides that, subtitles are usually added at the end of the process.

E. Zachary Knight ( User Karma: 2 ) says:

@ Parallax Abstraction

The Wii is “next gen” So it is a next gen game that is also on a couple of last gen consoles.

As for the article, The quality of the video boils down to a combination of the beta version of the game and the compression Youtube demands.

As for the content, this is an introduction trailer and they would not show the most graphic stuff until later in the game. If there were videos of the later levels we would see more. From what it sounds like, Dewgy has downloaded this and played it so he should know what it is like.

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

BetaSword says:

After checking some of my… Uh… Sources… I can confirm that this is real. I can also confirm that a PAL version is available as well. Apparently the PAL version is an uncut version from the Netherlands… So it may just be the same version as the other.

Either way, though, I don’t see why this could result in another Hot Coffee-like issue happening. I mean, this is not available to people in any sort of legal, or even semi-legal way. To even access it, you need to break laws. But of course there are going to be the Jackasses (ahem…) that run with it anyways… Oy.

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“Whatever this is, calling it an “uncut Manhunt 2? is giving it too much credit. This is a clearly an early beta of the game”

Not surprising. But I’ll bet the media groups that run with it next week won’t bother mentioning that, if it’s true. They’ll just chock it up to a plot by R* to get the AO version out to kiddies.

Dewgy says:

Whatever this is, calling it an “uncut Manhunt 2” is giving it too much credit. This is a clearly an early beta of the game and at times it’s practically unplayable because of unfinished map areas and the like. I’ve yet to come across any particularly mind-blowing violence or sexual content, although the blood and gore effects are certainly more polished than in the first game.

Skelta: The game is clearly unfinished, as placeholder voices for the main characters are still in place in many areas, sounds are missing, the framerate is horrendous, and key map areas are left unscripted.

The worst that this leak can do is if it’s a beta compiled close enough to the original release date of the game, it could mean serious trouble for Rockstar if it seems like they weren’t actually finished with the game by that point; although it seems more likely that this was a build used for making the early trailers and such.

vellocet says:

It is a common misconception that beta-testers are the ones that leak games all the time. The majority of times it comes from some step between production and manufacturing (which often does not have anything to do with the developer testing). Other sources that I’ve seen are from hardware testers (video card companies), ratings companies (ESRB), and out sourced testing. In house testing is RARELY responsible for game leaks.

Skelta says:

Since when do betas come with subtitles (German, Italian, French…)? This looks like the rumoured EU version, probably from one of the pressing plants. It’s definitely not a beta.

Chuma ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Rockstar would gain nothing from a leak of the original version as people would not buy the newer and cut version as a result. As for it being leaked by a Beta Tester, usually there are markers on the software to indicate the source. If so, someone is in a world of trouble…

chadachada ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Eh, i don’t think it’s really an issue that part of it got released early. Like the Halo 3 Beta, when people figured out how to make their own custom matches

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Unfortunately it only proves the point that the harder you try to stamp on something, the further you push it underground. If it IS real, then I’d suspect it is a Beta-Test version that has been leaked by the tester him/herself.

Once again, it promotes the question, if it had not been so widely ‘advertised’ by those who claimed to be ‘protecting the children’, would this have happened? Would there have been the demand for the unedited version? The history of movies has been similar on occasion, create a forbidden fruit and everyone wants a taste of it.

Fact is, with uncut versions being released in Holland and some other countries, it’s only a matter of time until a non-Beta full version makes it’s way into the warez-scene anyway. It is a natural human reaction that when you try to take something away, it will simply re-surface at a less controllable location.

If it’s a Beta-version, you probably need to consider it the same as early camcorded version of movies, where people pass in front of the camera with popcorn etc.

nightwng2000 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Would it be fair to say that the majority of software that is pirated before release WOULD be the work of beta-testers?

A LOT of software has been pirated with early releases in the past. Even OS software. And anyone auto-implying that it was Rockstar would definitely face an uphill battle if any segment of the community (corporate, consumer, developer, retailer, etc) challenged any implication that only companies release early software “under the table”.

Is it -possible- that someone other than a beta-tester would have done it? Yes. But history may show that it’s more likely a beta-tester than anyone else.

NW2K Software

Mutantemeco says:

Are you telling me the game got banned just because of feces? If they edited that out I’m gonna laugh so hard.

Canto says:

Yes, it still features that tactic, you can also break objects to make weapons (like windows), don’t know if that was in the original. As for the full breadth of the game, I really can’t comment, but I’m sure the graphic nature of killings get significantly ramped up. Also I already find the game difficult in some instances, but again I figure there’s still some tweaking to be done (camera tracking is pretty bad). The gameplay is actually decent when it works, but given this is a beta I can’t really continue criticizing it. Also, the non-stealth combat is pretty terrible, but I assumed that to be intentional, maybe a gun would help.

Black Manta ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Has it ever occurred to anyone here that perhaps it might be JT’s own son posting here as him? It would certainly explain a few things, first and foemost the immature tone of the postings as only a 15-year-old could probably make them.

Let’s not forget that he once described his own son as “a little clone” of himself. And that he’s used his son at least twice in his own little sting operations. I could see if he was a unwitting participant one time, but twice implies that he’s willingly going along with it. So therefor i have to wonder also if either A) He’s putting his son up to posting for him, B) His son is doing it of his own volition in an attempt to dfend his dad or C) A combination of both.

If that’s the case, I don’t think that we should be too quick to feel sorry towards his son, as it may very well be that he may be just as bad as his dad is.

Muetank ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

O.K, …What?
    So you’re saying that R* destroyed it self because its game got leaked and a group that has nothing to do with R* put it up on the internet? Ya, that makes loads of sense. Games get leaked like this every once in a while. You just have to know where to look. Not that I would know where to look or any thing *shifty eyes* … as far as you know at least. But, just because a game gets leaked doesn’t mean that it’s not going to sell. In fact, I’d like to go as far to say as that it might sell better. seeing as this little leak might fuel sales. Because now, Videos are going to be posted all over the internet of people enjoying that game. That’s just like free advertising! Sure some people get a free copy of the game early, so what. A majorty of people I’m guessing would rather want this for the Wii and want perfected controls that you’ll only get in the final version. So guess what! People will still have to buy it. R* doesn’t loose any thing… except for the people who were going to buy it for PC any way. But even then it’s not like their going to loose a ton of money.

Citizen_Snips says:

@ Dewgy this is very very very true.

but you need to give some credit to the youngins if they think something is wroth it they will work at it until the get what they want, or til is snack time.

chrislovespills says:

i need to know how to burn the manhunt 2 game do u burn the man2.DVD file on its own to a cd well thats what i am hearing but what about the other files? i dont know i need help this is the torrent i came across but i dont know what file to burn

man2.000 1,048,576 KB
    man2.001 1,048,576 KB
    man2.002 451,648 KB
    man2.DVD 1 KB

Citizen_Snips says:

Dewgy said: “Console modification is still required (or at least decent technical knowledge of how the system works and how to work around it), so saying “you don’t need a chip” isn’t the same as saying “any Joe Schmoe with a PS2 and ten minutes can do it”.”

it actually takes less than ten minutes (try 1 minute) with some of the kits out here. and you would have to be lobotomized not to do it correctly in that one minute. And its a lot more accessible than you make it out to be.

Dewgy says:

Skelta: What I have is the original release from the original newsgroup it was posted on by the original release group. If there’s anything else out there, I haven’t heard of it. This build is definitely PAL, and it may have subtitles already, but that wouldn’t surprise me if the event and subtitle code was already in place since the game seems to built on a lot of the original game’s code.

It’s not that the game is unfinished, it’s not that things aren’t all implemented, but a lot of things don’t work quite right. It’s more interesting from the perspective of someone looking into getting into game development than anything else. Again, I think the only trouble Rockstar may have with this is if the build date shows that they never intended to release it back in July, but that seems unlikely.

Mr. Feather: Not really, seeing as it’s a woman.

Gray17 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’m pretty sure that most 14 year olds can work bittorrent and CD images. Probably a number of twelve year olds as well.

Anyways, I expect the activists to blame R* despite the fact that this is essentially a pirated version of the game and would only hurt their sales.