Nintendo Says Bye to Blogging Beauty over Co-Worker Comments

A Nintendo contract employee found herself on the unemployment line recently over too-candid blog postings.

As reported by Seattle alternative paper The Stranger, Jessica Zenner was let go by Mario & Co. on August 31st:

Zenner… can now be added to the ever-growing list of casualties in the workplace war on blogs… All they did was participate in the great American pastime: bitching about work

…Zenner says she was never informed of any blog policy at Nintendo, but even so, she wrote under the pen name “Jessica Carr”—although she posted pictures of herself on her site—and never mentioned her employer by name. Somehow, Zenner’s bosses at Nintendo still found her site.

Zenner’s Inexcusable Behavior blog (NSFW) apparently riled Nintendo executives, in part because of comments Zenner made about co-workers:

She digresses into a wry tirade against one of her bosses: “One plus about working with [a] hormonal, facial-hair-growing, frumpy [woman] is that I have found a new excuse to drink heavily,” Zenner writes. “My gut tells me that this woman hasn’t been [bleeped] in years.

…Nintendo spokeswoman Perrin Kaplin says Nintendo doesn’t bar employees from having blogs, but “we generally don’t encourage them.” However, contradicting Zenner, Kaplin says, “[Zenner] was expressly discouraged from doing what she did. I’ve seen everything that she’s written and it’s really not work appropriate.

Konoro says:

I agree with most people here.

Anyway, if they did not fired her, would the situation had been better ? Would she still wants to work for someone who know that she hates him/her ?

Vitamin D says:

First of all, it wasn’t a private blog. She obviously wanted SOMEONE to read it. These were not her private thoughts, she was broadcasting them to the world, and not even using a pen name was going to save her if she was going to post pictures of herself.

[…] Earlier this week, news broke that Nintendo contract worker Jessica Zenner was fired for keeping a blog called “Inexcusable Behavior” where she made comments about herself (using the name Jessica Carr) and various co-workers (who were not named). Jessica considered the blog to be entertainment, but Nintendo took offense and fired her. Jessica has since announced that she will be contributing articles to, and here for the first time is Jessica’s side of the story in her own words. […]

~the1jeffy says:

I told you, this thread is dead. Nothing to see here. We went from calling her a slut to a Nazi comparison. It has run the full ‘net gamete. Done.

DazedandConfused says:

@ Brian

I’m with you Brian, I think that Nintendo was wrong in how they handled the situation. I also think that people have blown the story WAY out of proportion.

@ CLEratenube

I think your right. We finally have found our “princess”.

CLEratenube says:

I read about this a couple days ago…all I have to say is this girl is hot as hell and smart. I’m happy that some good is coming out of her situation. After reading her stuff, she sounds like a cool chick. It’s about time we have a REAL princess in gaming!

Brian says:

I’m only on her side simply on principle. I have had enough of people getting their feathers in a bunch because people have other aspects of their lives. Although I just graduated from college, I’m tired of hearing that we need to watch our social networking pages. Can’t we let down our hair anymore? Why do we need to be always either spokespeople for our jobs when we’re off the clock or always “work appropriate” to be looked at for being hired? Are people in HR or whoever does hiring for companies real people? Do they do things at home or have an “off the clock” image that may not necessarily match company conduct? While part of me does agree that the internet is a vast public space but at the same time for a lot of things, like the blog in question or any of our own personal blogs, one needs to really work at finding things on line. It’s like having a conversation about your day at work with a friend at McDonald’s. Yes it’s a “public” place but at the same time, unless someone REALLY wants to know what you’re saying about work, they won’t know and it will essentially be a “private” conversation. Again can people evesdrop, sure, but unless you are threatening an employee or letting out company secrets (another topic entirely but I’ll adress that later), you really shouldn’t be fired. Now if you had a site as popular as Google, that’s a different can of words.

ZennerBender says:

Blogger & Former Nintendo Employee “Jessica Carr” Joins

The now infamous blogger and former Nintendo employee Jessica Zenner (alias Jessica Carr) will be joining the staff here at

“Jessica, who was terminated by Nintendo of America due to her personal blog,, will be writing about whatever the heck she wants here at Ripten, and while we understand that some of you may not like what she has to say, we have a hunch you will read it anyway.”

F**ked up says:

I do hope you all know that Employer – employee laws are based around Master – Slave law. I do have a legal book that actually uses the Master – slave reference when referring to who is responsible and what can be accomplished in these situations.

Austin Lewis ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Ignorance.

Its true, on your site you can say whatever you want. But in a workplace environment, if you cause hostility and the breakdown of a team or forced relations, you WILL be removed, and a company has the right to do this. It has nothing to do with freedom of speech; it has to do with the consequences of what you say.

Mel says:

The company was likely within its rights through the contract. But even aside from that:

If a person has a right to free speech, does that right trump the right to work in a non-hostile work enviroment? Do you really think people should be forced to work with other people who insult them in a public forum?

I think the company more likely fired her for creating a hostile work enviroment detrimental to the other employees, and based their reasoning that the this fell under harassment because it was easily accessible, public, and the harasser was easily identifiable.

Jay says:

In my eyes, if someone was able to connect the dots, odds are it’s not because someone did a google search on her blog. Odds are it was known in her workplace, and thus, especially with the picture in there, wasn’t anonymous.

If you tell everyone you made something, and post your picture in it, and information that proves it’s you, guess what — you can’t hide behind anonymity! Plus, you’re an asshat who deserves to get fired for unprofessional conduct!

F**Ked UP says:

I have worked under contract and yes you do get paid more but u do lose out on your benefits. Such as healthcare, retirement and etc. So yeah u get more cash but u end up spending a lot too on things usually covered by your employer

Nekojin ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

~the1jeffy said pretty much EXACTLY what I was going to. Whether the person is likable or not is not an issue, and should not be confused with the issue.

The biggest unanswered question here is, how did the employer find the blog? It’s impossible to search photos online by their content (unless they’re of obvious, popular sources), so she had to have been found by one of three ways:

1.) She was using company computers to post to her blog, a big no-no in most companies (but not mine – I’m posting this from work).
    2.) She was “outed” by a fellow employee who she told about the blog.
    3.) She mentioned something else identifiable within the blog itself somewhere (and meta-tags and/or file names on photos CAN count, here).

I’d expect that #1 is the most likely, and any employer would have a right to fire someone for that.

Snipehunter says:

I don’t get the “She shouldn’t have said it if she wanted to keep her job!” line of reasoning. Personal consequences? Sure. *Personal* consequences: Like her boss hating her and giving her all the crappy work because she thinks this girl is a [word you really can’t say in public without consequence]. Of course – you have to be responsible for what you say, but *professional* consequences? Losing your job for posting what amounts to a story? With no real names, how do you even know anything she said happened at all?

I mean, it’s all fiction unless there’s proof, right? (Screenshot, or it didn’t happen!) Or have we started believing what we see on the internet, all of the sudden? Cuz… that’s counter to reason, right there.

Posting her picture was a mistake, but it still didn’t professionally connect her to Nintendo, not really. I mean, *I* could have written that blog and put her picture there — a picture on the internet doesn’t prove anything, does it?

This isn’t about personal responsibility; it’s about persecution and corporate control over your life. Nintendo doesn’t own its employees and it has no control over their lives outside of the office. I find it personally distasteful that people fail to recognize that’s what this is about. What they’ve done amounts to exercising ownership rights over this woman, firing her for her actions outside of the time they contractually agreed to pay her for. I thought the 13th amendment prevented slavery in America… I guess I was wrong.

Josh Martz ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This is just a case of “biting the hand that feeds you.”

You may not like your job, but if you want to continue getting paid, you’ll damn well do what your boss wants you to do, or else risk getting fired.

“I do, however find that those responsible for grudge-firing someone over what they wrote in their (constitutionally protected, for the time being anyway) newszine.” Distasteful!

sorry, I left out a word.

Also, re: hostile workplaces, you don’t have to read my webiste. If we don’t get along, I’d prefer you didn’t. But there I am allowed to say that I dislike you for whatever reasons I have. SImilarly I could tell my friends that I dislike you, it’s a fact of life you’ll have to swallow that some folks won’t dig your outlook.

Only when you have the privilege of a position that you can tyrranically abuse to fire those who dissent does this manifest as a hostile workpl;ace. Otherwise what you have is worker drone and overseer – they don’t have to get along, they merely need to fill roles in production.

I get the sentiment that you shouldn’t slag your workplace publically, but I also think it’s pretty draconian to punish those that do. We all gotta work, it’s unreasonable to expect that we all love every minute of it or to pretend that every co-worker is a treat.

HCF ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Um…isn’t Nintendo moving out of Seattle/Redmond in favor of San Francisco? They moved sales and marketing down, and I thought that was the ‘tip of the spear’, so that all of NOA would be in northern california at some point.

I recall hearing that Microsoft is pushing up office prices (their demand trounces supply) in the area, pushing them out.

me says:

Thank you Thomas. I was going to state something along the lines of what you said. As I was reading the comments, I was just hoping to see someone call out all those who feel they they have freedom without consequences or responsibility. If the majority of those who comment are any representation of the decision makers of the future, I fear.

~the1jeffy says:

I’ve read a bit of her ‘blog.’ I’m curious how it’s NSFW? No lewd images, sounds, etc. Aside from her rough-tongued language, and her willingness to openly talk about her sexuality, I’m not seeing it. (My point is that if she was a male, these post wouldn’t raise an eyebrow) She writes about things in a typically masculine fashion, so I can see that ruffling feathers, but, ” … I’ve seen everything that she’s written and it’s really not work appropriate.”? Not so much. It’s an anonymous blog, the only reason anyone (ouside of NOA) knows about it, is the gamer press picking it up. Sure, she shouldn’t have insulted co-workers in what amounts to a public forum. But once again, no specifics, no names, no mention of her company. So aside from her photo, how did they find her? Likely, she used company time to post there, or visited from a company machine – and there you have a dismissable offense. Most large companies, and I’m sure NOA is the this way, have strict online terms of use. Blogs generally are not permited on company hardware/time. So if she only posted from home, and never once visited at the office, then she is in the clear. I am willing to bet, that she was at work when she blogged, and that set off the MIS warning beacons. So really the state of her being cute/uncute, under/overpaid, SFW/NSFW aren’t the root issue – it’s simply whether she was breaking the company’s online use policy at the office, or not. I can’t find evidence on that, it’s seems everyone is fanboying-out or hating her, or calling out NOA. Any real evidence?

Predatorian234 says:

@ WinterNight

Security Reasons.

Careers are not like jobs. You can’t work at Nintendo for a summer like you can work at Burger King for a summer.

Once you get in, its very hard to get out. You have to worry about getting a job that has comparable pay and benefits. You have to find a job that will provide medicare or else your out of health insurance while trying to find a new job.

The longer you stay at a certain job, the more vacation time you get. You could go from getting 2 months paid vacation time, down to 5 days. And then have to work another 10 years just to get it back.

And on top of that, you have to find a job that you will enjoy, and then you run the risk of joining a job thats just as bad as the one you left.

Its simply smarter to stay there, and take the beatings while waiting for that one golden, once in a life time, only happens in movies, type job opprotunity to come by and bail you out.

And since that never happens, people usually stay where they are. And simply bitch about their crabby co-workers. Who are now crabby because they had to work at a place for 30 years where their co-workers are hormonal, bitchy, mustache wearing as well.

Its a vicious circle yes…but its safer then going out alone.

Jlodus says:

I don’t have the time to read through all the comments so I am not sure if this has been answered, but does anyone know if she did this while AT work or after? If she was doing this at work on company time, then I think Nintendo had a right to be upset especially if they had already spoken with her about it.

Predatorian234 says:

This is why I love the place that I work.

I work for a family owned business where all of our co-workers have been working for us for a LONG LONG time. About 90% of them have known me since my birth. A few of them even used to babysit me. So its a very family feeling work place.

And since all of these people are my brothers and sisters (figuretively speaking) we say whatever the hell we want to say to the person, right to their face.

If we had a hormonal b*tchy co-worker with facial hair…we will let them know. And then tempers flair for an hour or so, then we are back laughing as if nothing ever happened.

Its great to be able to snap at your co-workers and voice your opinon.

But more on topic. So the reason why they terminated this was so their company won’t get a bad rep from this blog right? Well, don’t you think firing her has caused a back fire?

She never said that she Worked for Nintendo, so its very unlikely that anyone who read her blog would know she was talking about the organization.

But now that shes fired, we all know who she was talking about. We know the comments made, and we know who they were directed to. They caused exactly what they were trying to stop.

Nintendo shot themselves in the foot by not being smart and logical.

Colonel Finn says:

@ Weatherlight.
    Wow you must be a company man/woman right to the bitter end, an anonymous blog is just that. Everyone bitches about their work, or the people there, whether it be because of personal rivalries, arguments, differing political opinions or even (lord forbid) bad work practices; the fact is, no-one takes on a job and then self-censors their opinions to their friends and families.
    Some people want to vent steam and an anonymous blog is good way to do this. If workers have no healthy outlet to their work-induced anger/irritations then they are likely to contribute to bad feeling in the workplace a whole lot more.
    It’s entirely possible that the managemt and work structure at Nintendo made it impossible for her to air her problems in a manner conducive to the common working good, or without creating ill-feeling there towards herself.

rdeegvainl ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

That problem with Michigan is pretty crappy, hope it turns around by jun 2010 though….
    I won’t say anything about the actual case though cause we obviously do not have all the information about her contract, I’m sure if she’s as rich as people say and there is a case here, we’ll be hearing more about this.

Thomas ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

My god, when did this happen… when did society become so pathetic that people don’t see the difference between “whistle blowing” on criminal or dangerous behavior and badmouthing fellow employees in a public forum, creating a bad working environment. When did people become such “freedom” junkies that they don’t understand that we should have to take responsibility for our own actions, and that the people we work for and who pay us money should be able to expect reasonable and considerate behavior so long as they are not criminals.

There is an absolute world of difference between talking to friends and family, and posting on the internet.. this blog is a publicly accessible and permanent location, which she allowed herself to be identified as the author off… it is as anonymous and reasonable as writing an article in the local newspaper every week and entitling it “why my coworkers are fat ugly mofos” and expecting not to get fired from her job… and if you can’t pick up on sarcasm, that means it is not anonymous or reasonable at all.

It makes me sick, once again I’m watching normally reasonable seeming people defend someone insulting and degrading people just because “oh, she should be allowed to say what she wants!” No, she should NOT be allowed to say what she wants, we are not talking about accusing the company, we are talking about insulting her coworkers because she did not like them. You should not get to defend calling someone a bitch because you think you are free to say what you want without repercussion in a public place.

I cannot stand to see this Freedom From Responsibility culture so prevalent in today’s society, and I hate to say but it stems from American’s and their misunderstanding of a document written in a different culture, time, and place. The worst thing is, this attitude is.. infecting.. every other culture you come into contact with… it makes me sick to hear this trash from people in the UK, Australia, and other countries.

Then again, maybe I should take out an article in an American newspaper, where I will be able to take random people and call them the most obscene and vile things I can think of, cast aspersions on their personal life and otherwise insult them, in public, where they can see… and you will all jump up and down and defend me because so long as I don’t use a very few things such as race, gender or sexuality to insult them that makes it okay to be a vile, insulting, moron.

wiisuit says:

Whether she was contracted out or a Nintendo employee. It’s all “at will” and therefore NOA can dismiss anyone without any specific reasons so long as it does not fall under a protected class. In this case, there is apparently no ground for a claim. That said, this story should tell something about the NOA culture.

NOA has taken advantage of its fan base and brand name to engage into abusive management policies. Since Nintendo is not traded in the US, there is little incentive to change. As the owner of the Mariners and powerful political allies in the state of WA, politicians turn the blind eye on Nintendo’s labor, health and financial abuses. Their legal team is rotten to the core; They have a former accountant (John Bauer) fucking underage kids (a child molester by definition) that was still on their payroll as a consultant until recently. HR was aware, but that’s is apparently not a big deal. bitching about incompetent middle-managers (high schoolers how were impressionable and malleable) is a big thing; it shakes the status quo. It creates high-turn over amongst your base. Not acceptable.

They are good people at NOA as well, unfortunately they don’t say. The company is engaged in pathological politics within its internal divisions. NOA was responsible for 50% of their revenues back a few years ago, a bit less now, but they are also responsible for 80% of their legal problems.

kurisu7885 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

hmm, by some logic I see, any General Motors employee caught driving a vehicle od anything but a General Motors brand needs to be fired, because driving a car from another company MIGHT mean the same as badmouthing it.

lumi ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ BlackIce
    “Would you honestly care if she was wrongfully terminated? Considering she is a complete bitch to the people paying her?”

That matters not a bit. She can bitch all she wants to off the clock, and as long as it isn’t having a detrimental effect on the business, it’s within her rights. Who cares if she’s a bitch if she gets her work done in a timely and quality fashion? You don’t need to like someone to work with her.

Like I said before, we simply don’t have enough information to know who is in the right here. Frankly, I don’t care about her personally, but I don’t think that a photo alone is sufficient for “outing” the company’s identity. Think about it…assuming she didn’t “publicize” the blog outside her own circle of personal acquaintances (I know I don’t publicize my LJ to anyone who isn’t a personal friend, despite the fact that the entire thing is 100% public), the only people who would be able to ID the company through her picture would be…those same personal acquaintances of hers.

The same friends and family that most of you are saying she should have bitched to if she needed to vent. So…it’s okay to talk face-to-face to her friends and family and explicitly badmouth Nintendo, but it’s not okay to anonymously do it on the Internet, because someone might see her face and remember seeing her walk into NOA headquarters one morning as she arrived at work?

Seriously, who ISN’T going to know her already but be able to ID her as a Nintendo employee based solely on her picture.

If there were other factors involved (poor performance, instigating problems AT WORK, etc.), and I’m not saying there weren’t…merely that we don’t have that information to work with right now…then fine, she deserved to lose her job. But based solely on what has been confirmed so far, I think it’s questionable.

Really wish we had more to go on, though =\

Weatherlight ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

See I love when shit like this happens, how stupid can someone be? The Company in this case has every right to fire you over bad mouthing the company Whether it is anonymous or not. The fact that they were not just able to find the blog but also the employee means that it was far from anonymous.

As an employee for a company you are a spokesperson for that company. If you do not care for the people you are working with the simple solution is to get a different job. Name calling and Bitching about all the people you work with outside of your immediate group of friends is spreading a bad image of the company, which will effect other people future dealings with the company.

I hate people who have the idea that they can say anything they want “anonymously” on a blog with no repercussions. They get upset because people call them whores, because they talk about all the guys they sleep with. They get called an asshole because they talk about the people they go to school with by derogatory terms. And best of all they get upset because they make threats against their school or employer and the respective staff and they have the police show up at their door. God people get a clue. The net is integrated into your school and work, so whatever you say there will effect your school/work, which make it their business.

The technicality that they will likely fire her for is accessing her blog from work equipment or on work time. Which is something people should have common sense enough not to do.

Nekowolf ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I still bring up that she gave up her anonymity. She posted photos on the internet. She may not have said her name, but she gave up who she was.

So she deserved it. She was irresponsible. You can bitch about co-workers and such all you want, but if you make the mistake of letting yourself be known, then you are the one to blame for the mistake.

Besides. She can find another damn job anyhow; she’s not in Michigan.

kurisu7885 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Ok, what? What do their products have to do with any of this? My SNES is what you would call “antiquated” but it doesn’t make the games for it any less fun, and that’s what gaming is about, fun.

Kudos on for once not attacking religion though.

HollywoodBob says:

@Black Ice.

Unless you can show where there’s a clause in her contract that says she can’t bitch about her job or co-workers while away from work, then yeah, I still say it was wrongful termination, and that she’s well within her rights to post bitchy posts.

We don’t know what her behavior was at work. We can though assume that since she wasn’t terminated until the discovery of her blog, that she was professional at work, and competent at her job. Otherwise she’d have been outta there before. As for her blog, she did what was necessary to not identify her employer, that’s all that should be important. If I wanted to put up flier with a fake name all over town saying my boss is a drunkard and a dick. That’s my right. I’m not being a detriment to the company because it’s just anonymous rantings. And if you’re a prairie dog, like it appears she was, you’re not in the public eye, so unless you specify the company, none of your readers will know. Again, she did what was necessary to insulate the company from being identified. Their termination of her was what revealed them to be the targets of her ranting.

Spekkio ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Don’t knock unions too hard. I know they’re not perfect, but without them I wouldn’t be where I am today – guaranteed. The AFL-CIO is what made it possible for me to grow up in a middle-class home and go to college.

In general:

I just don’t understand how we, as a people, continue to tolerate this ridiculousness. *When you are not on the clock, you are no longer at work!* Companies have no right to tell you what to do or say outside the workplace – unless there is a contract between the two parties that says otherwise.

Grogmonkey says:

Having legitimate criticisms for your colleagues or bosses is one thing, being insulting and spiteful is quite another. I would bet a fair amount of anything you care to wager that Nintendo has an internal process for dealing with legitimate complaints. Saying that you bet one of your bosses probably hasn’t [had relations] for years is not a legitimate complaint.

If she’s just acting like a douche, and she gets caught, fire her ass. It would be her fault for being a douche. I mean, it’s not hard to not insult someone. Most people get through the day just fine without questioning the romantic life of everyone they work with.

And, if you feel you just HAVE to be a complete dick about the people you work with, don’t leave ANY traces. If you get caught breaking your contract (and I guarantee Nintendo will have a clause in all their contracts about acting appropriately and not bringing the company into disrepute, even outside of work), then I have absolutely no sympathy for you.

Furthermore, I find it incredibly amusing that the chances of her ever working in the games industry again is practically nil:

“So, why did you leave Nintendo?”

“Oh, I got caught bad-mouthing my superiors on my blog.”

“I see…”

“Oh, I’m sure I won’t bad-mouth YOU guys.”

“Yeah. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.”

Mark Dage says:

Over the years, I have seen many articles about companies snooping on worker’s corporate email and internet activities. While at work and using company networks and equipment, this has been ruled as legal.

But as far as this story tells us, this wasn’t the case, unless she blogged from work.

Her public comments, made with no real names attached, should (in my opinion) be protected speech under the First Amendment. Just because someone works for you or with you, does that make you immune to criticism, no matter what your attitude or behavior? What if you worked for her? How would you feel if you couldn’t say anything at all to them or about them, not even to your friends or in a bar over drinks without being reprimanded or fired from your job?

Sometimes management gets too big for its own britches. Someone I know once got screwed out of a day’s work because the management team over her couldn’t make up their minds. They asked for one project, which she worked on all night, and the next day wanted the other, and told her she couldn’t bill the hours she worked already. Recently, she was told her family life was getting in the way of her work and she needed to make some personal changes to correct this. This was despite the fact she was working at all hours, never, ever missed a deadline, and always delivered. She turned in her notice after that one, and was met with groveling and pleading when it was realized the golden goose had just been mortally wounded.

Since when does going to business school and being indoctrinated into management make you immune to making stupid decisions? It certainly doesn’t absolve you from the negative discussion that occurs when every other human being on the planet makes a mistake.

BlackIce, Leftie says:

@Whoever the hell said she was “kinda cute”

I’ve seen dogs that look better.

Austin Lewis ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Not so much personal as it is insipid. She’s a spoiled rich bitch on par with people like Paris Hilton, and yet everyone acts like she’s the victim.

smartr says:

Sounds like somebody in the know snitched on her. Honestly, I think the company should be more interested in getting rid of the person spreading that kind of information. She had plenty of options to keep her information relatively private, but chose to publicly scorn a person she worked with, while leaving a picture so that people can recognize her. She is not a whistleblower, and frankly the mere fact that it became known to her employer is good enough reason to fire her to keep things peaceful at the workplace. Likely, the “hormonal, facial-hair-growing, frumpy” is not very comfortable at her job anymore. I think Nintendo made the right decision.

K-OSS says:

To everyone saying that “I wouldn’t like someone being mean to me and not knowing it, so she must burn” and the like, welcome to the net mates, everyone gets trashed on. My friend wrote about he hated his principal back in high school on a blog, so therefore he should be expelled yes?

This isn’t even a one time thing. Several companies, including Grocery Stores, Airline companies, and others have also reprminaded and fired employees for things they did not find satisfactory to the “image” of the company on their personal blogs (In all cases, no real names of persons or comapnies were used).

What the people saying that Nintendo is in the right in doing this, is that companies have the right to mandate any behavior of their employees outside of the work environment. If I’m at a bar with my buddies joking about our boss in an unkind manner, and someone else high up is at the company two tables down and hears us, now I show up monday without a job because I said something nasty about my boss in a public restauraunt.

And as I’ve said, this wasn’t a newspaper or a radio show, this was a blog on the internet. If anyone who ever said anything mean about another person/employer/company were to be reprimanded by say… death? (For the sake of the following example mind you), we would surely be out of whatever population issues this planet has right quick.

Granted, her comments were disrespectful, but as long as she didn’t break any NDC’s, and she still does her job correctly, I don’t see what business it is of Nintendo or any employer to reprimand personal feelings being vocalized…

No wonder we have so many therapists making bank in this country…

Robert says:

Frankly, my first thought is that she’s pretty cowardly. I really don’t think much about people who talk trash about others behind their back, especially in a public forum like a blog.

I had one instance where someone I knew was always nice to me…then one day I stumbled across her livejournal and found THREE STRAIGHT PAGES of personal attacks directed at me…not only that, but they were all issues that could’ve easily been worked out had she actually TALKED to me instead of trashing me on a public forum for all her friends (many of them mutual) to see…

Besides, from what was quoted in the article, it sounds like she was more interested in showing how witty she is than truly venting. I could do the same thing regarding my job…course it would make me a hypocrite since I have one blog post trashing a group of now former co-workers who fired blogging — different situation though, they crossed the line and violated their NDA by publicly trashing clients. Not cool.

All that said, a smarter move for Nintendo would’ve been to take advantage of her contractor status and just not give her any more work.

Crispy says:

As soon as the company finds out about your blog and the fact you’re slating it and its employees it’s virtually impossible for it to interfere with the working environment. Nintendo did wrong to fire her, unless they had other grounds to do so that they used as a cover (i.e. lateness, bad work ethic – something they could have fired her for if they were really strict but served as ammunition in this instance to cover their legal back). But I think it’s inevitable that they would take some action.

The hairy-lipped/sex life comments are an act of subordinance that have an immediate effect once the blog loses its anonymity (i.e. when the stupid bint started posting pictures of herself on her blog and expected nobody to tie her face to her words). Once this happens if I were her boss I’d immediately be looking for a way for her to leave, at first discussing a severance fee (e.g. 2 months’ pay for 1 month’s notice) or if she refused to agree to any of that, giving her her each of her three strikes as soon as she stepped out of line and giving her notice at the earliest opportunity.

If she’s making comments like that she clearly has no respect, no work ethic and doesn’t want to be there, so she’s not worth company time and money. Nintendo (of America) did right in showing her the door, but unless they had sufficient legal cause to get shot of her they could find themselves in a sticky situation.

DarrelBT says:

This thread reminds me why I love Game Politics a lot. Especially most of the good posters.

This news was posted in Joystiq as well, but dear god, unlike the Gamepolitics comments, the Joystiq comments were full off flamewars, trolls and console fanboys.

minshi ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Until Nintendo fired her, giving her no reason not to name company and employees specifically, did anyone know who or what company she was complaining about?

Or did this knee-jerk reaction suddenly not only gave her an entire new spiel, but no reason NOT to just issue out all the names. Only after they fired her, do we learn which company was the cause of her ills.

So, those of you who are saying they had to do what they did to keep their image, they put themselves in the spotlight for all the blog said negatively, instead of being ‘a big business’.

On the other hand, if nothing was done, and depending on the content of the blog (it seems posts of the nature of the article are gone, or I do not know how to find them) say, 1 in 5 would somehow know what company she was talking about, and 1 in 10 an exact person.

Now, everyone who had read her blog knows for sure, 100% of her readers. Also, lets be honest, people will want to see what was said which was ‘oh so horrible’, and if she had kept all the post, say, her readership of those ‘oh so horrible’ articles would have grown by half again, so, a 50% increase of readers, all of them knowing exactly who was being talked about.

If she should have been fired or not, if the company was right or not, if they thought firing her would be a silent end to her blog and protect the image, they have seriously failed.

Well, who knows how much they thought these things through.

OtakuMan ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“Look all I’m saying is that I was writing on my blog, didn’t even say where I worked, and did a little bitching, that’s all!”

“Your words are useless here now. We have standards here and we don’t like people talking about their employers in a place where ANYONE can hear them!”

“Don’t be stupid! People often write about their on the job experiences in public all the time. Like Newgrounds!”

*wry grin from person standing in back*

FroggersRevenge says:

Second that, AgnostoTheo. They don’t have the right to punish her for saying what she thinks in an anonymized forum, even if she did insult her boss. (And if it turns out they DO have the right, well, it’s time to reform the law.)

That said, GP, why are you calling her a “Blogging Beauty”? She wasn’t hired to model for Nintendo and her blog isn’t particularly centered on beauty or fashion. Objectifying her like that only opens the case up to a lot of sexist fact-hedging; not at all fair.

Baramos says:

What’s really hilarious about this sort of thing is you could say the same exact things to people in real life AT WORK and AROUND TOWN, and the chances of bosses finding out you said it is like nil, simply because no one is going to go volunteer to the boss just exactly how ugly they are, or what have you. But put it on a fairly anonymous website and BAM, somehow your bosses will find it.

She probably visited it at work one time, is how they found it.

AgnostoTheo ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

call me nuts, but what happens on your own time outside of work is none of the Company’s goddamn business. The idea that this woman was fired for having an opinion (albeit negative) is disgusting in the utmost.

Nintendo, you suck. I hope she sues. -.-

Jay says:

I’m in a tough spot here, philosophically.

The first obvious thing is, hey — it’s a cute girl. This will automatically spring my uber-manly “I’ll save you!!” reflexes in. I’ve got to be careful of this, because it WILL bias my opinions.

The second, is that I know this could happen, so I specifically don’t blog about work, unless it’s personal reflections about my field. It’s unprofessional to attack co-workers, bosses, or management unless there’s a greater ethical need for it, such as whistle-blowing.

The final thing is, despite the fact that it’s just common sense not to bust on your bosses in your blog, it WOULD be nice to be able to have the freedom to talk about co-workers or bosses without retribution. I mean, it’s about the freedom to say and do what you’d like outside of work. I mean, freedom is the freedom to say something people don’t like.

In spite of the first thing, I think practically speaking, the second trumps the third. If I was out on a soapbox saying that sort of thing in public about the people I work with, I’d expect to be fired. I’m not sure the ideal here. It’s really not professional or polite to attack co-workers.

Austin Lewis ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Okay, for everyone here who’s feeling sorry for that bitch, go read her blog. She’s absolutely unlikable. She’s that rich, spoiled brat/snob who lives of her parents’ money like a nuveau riche queen.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would feel bad for her. She’s not even an employee, she’s a CONTRACTOR, which means that unlike the average Joe at Nintendo, she gets paid a fee, not a salary. IE $500 per day regardless of how much you do, instead of $50/hr. She makes more money than many of the people she’s insulting, and yet she feels that she should bitch about the people who are paying her. That’s stupid. If you don’t like the people, leave the job and stop taking the money. Otherwise, come up with a real complaint or shut the fuck up.

As to people (trolls) saying bullshit like “Heil spying”, it isn’t spying. It’s posted on the internet. It’s public. Spying would be if I opened her laptop, read her emails and her files, and then prosecuted her based on them.

Oh, by the way, there is no ‘Right to Privacy’ in America. Read the constitution and the bill of rights.

I dont’ believe for a minute that this is the first time they had this problem with her either.

lumi ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I agree that we’re only getting half the story here. The other half might not make Nintendo look much better, but it’s too hard to form an informed opinion without knowing what other steps they may have taken.

Shih Tzu says:

Yet another reminder: if you wouldn’t print it out and hang it up all over downtown, don’t write it publically on the internet. It’s the same thing.

And if you wouldn’t photocopy it and mail it to all your friends and sort-of-friends who might or might not photocopy it and pass it on to undesirable parties, don’t write it in a friends-only blog.

If she had kept her bitching to when she hung out with her friends, or even in private emails to people she trusted, she’d still have a job. I feel sorry for her, and I wish they’d explored other avenues of discipline, but if that’s how you have to learn your lesson…

Pandralisk says:

I also am disgusted by the big buisness-sucking apologists. Congress SHOULD make a law that cracks down on giant companies crushing the lives of their disgrunted, under-payed, and overworked employees for off the clock reasons. Just another example of the free market completely fucking over a honest and hard working person.

Nintendo has already screwed over their consumers this gen by selling them antiquated hardware and ancient franchises devoid of value. This whole firing is just another reason not to support Nintendo products.

Pandralisk says:

The corporatized gestapo cracks down on another hard working American while they are off the clock. Heil spying.

Ironically, big government is about the only thing left that has a shot at stopping big buisness. But the two grow closer each day, =/.

F**ked UP says:

This brings up a bigger problem. What we can and cannot write in our own free time after work. It is no longer a world where what you do in your free time is your own business. Companies have found ways around labor laws and such with At-Will employments and what nots to be able to fire an employee for any reason necessary. I have heard of people getting fired at work places because the person that owned a blog was speaking out about the practices being done within the company. Some of them were so shady that he didnt want to be a part of it. He did his best to appeal to work place to change but in the end he got fired for having his blog and speaking out against the company. Yes this does sound bad for any employee to do but I do hope that Enron and all the big company white collar scandals are still in your mind.

What happens to whistleblowers then? If my memory serves me right they are protected by labor laws, they are able to keep there job when the blow the whistle. But then I do remember the case about Mechanic on the airplanes. He anonymously posted videos to youtube showing mechanical defaults and problems there were not being taken care of. In the end, he was eventually found out and got fired not for whistleblowing buf under a different reason that got around the labor laws. So what does this have to do with the story?

Some times the only way to speak out is speak into a crowd and hope someone pays attention. Unfortunately for some when they are speaking out the person listening is part of the problem. They take action and the person ends up losing. Its a shame really.

But I wonder what actions nintendo did before firing here? I pwould have like to known the about the person she is having problems with because she could not be the only one. But if she is the only one is there a reason for it? Could it be worked out? Or was she just fired? There are problems in every company but if just fire people because they dont try to remedy the problems it only gets worst.

Its no longer Big Government that we must be afraid of, its Big Business as well since They can control your life and your likelihood of getting a job.
    My Biggest fear BIG GOVERNMENT AND BIG BUSINESS working together where we slowly give up our rights because neither one can protect us from the other.

ZippyDSMlee ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Unless its in the contract of the employee the company can not fire for “any” reason, its not quite freedom of speech but it is when it falls OUTSIDE of the contract.

Now if its in the contract well she laid her eggs in her bed and broke them all.

HollywoodBob says:

If you were bitching at work, said boss would be well within their right to do so.

If you were away from work, and they overheard you, then fired you upon your return to work, you’d have grounds for a lawsuit. When you’re off the clock and away from your job, you no longer required to behave the same as you are while at work. So if you’re at restaurant and bitching about your boss who happens to be sitting behind you, he’s can’t just fire you because he doesn’t like what you’re saying about him. He can confront you about it there, as a private person, but not as a entity of the company. If he does, he’s in the wrong.

hayabusa75 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I feel bad for Miss Zenner because she was doing what all of us do already, and her boss probably complains about her superior as well, but she forgot the cardinal rule if you’re going to do stuff like that: COVER YOUR ASS.

She probably read “Out of Harm’s Way”.

HollywoodBob says:

@Thomas, yeah yeah yeah, Freedom of Speech doesn’t apply, but wrongful termination does. If her contract didn’t expressly forbid what wrote on her blog, and they cited that as their reason for termination she’s more than within her rights as a wrongly terminated employee to tear them a new one. I personally hope she does pursue it if indeed it’s not forbidden in her contract.

As for her having a picture on her blog, it’s not like she’s a spokesperson for Nintendo, so the chance of her ranting being tied to them is nonexistent.

And finally, her comments about the fuzzy faced woman, it sounds like said woman was in a chronic bad mood, and could probably have used a decent rogering. Why do you feel you should be able to judge that Miss Zenner is just a mean girl simply because she bitches about work? Or that her opinion of the bearded woman isn’t accurate? For all we know, Miss Zenner was perfectly professional and cheery at work and used her blog to vent her daily frustrations in an environment conducive to and and in a manner that shouldn’t have gotten her any form of reprimand or punishment. She made every effort not to tie her blog to her position at Nintendo, and because she made that effort, they were out of line terminating her (assuming there was nothing in her contract forbidding it).

VaMinion says:

Think of it like this. If your boss overheard you calling him a self-righteous nimrod, you’d probably be fired. So why should a blog where you can be clearly identified be treated any differently? Especially if you can be identified.

If you need to rant about your boss in a blog, lock the entry down so it’s private or friends-only (in the case of something like LJ). It’s common sense.

Thomas ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I find it really disappointing that I see so many American’s (I presume) in this thread speaking about this girl’s Freedom of Speech. I’m not American, and yet even I know your constitution better than many of your citizens it seems…. since I know it does not apply to this situation because it is a private company, not Congress. Learn you’re own constitution before you quote it and use it only for applicable situations lest you seem like a freaking moron. I /really/ like to think that GP readers are intelligent individuals but those claiming this goes against Freedom of Speech don’t even know their own, oh so important, Constitution better than someone from a another country who has never stepped foot in the US does.

Let me quote it for you boys and girls..

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”

Congress, CONGRESS, not Nintendo, or Sony, or Microsoft, or McDonalds, or any other privately owned company.. they can do what the hell they want to stop you insulting and degrading your teammates in a publicly accessible blog. If you work for a company you are expected to show some sort of respect in public for your coworkers, and she didn’t … personal insults like the one quoted in the article…

” She digresses into a wry tirade against one of her bosses: “One plus about working with [a] hormonal, facial-hair-growing, frumpy [woman] is that I have found a new excuse to drink heavily,” Zenner writes. “My gut tells me that this woman hasn’t been [bleeped] in years.”

.. are not only damaging to the work environment, but down right out of line.. how would you like it if you were this woman and you found out one of your coworkers was writing things like that about you? Would you want to go to work with her the next day? Everything about this girl’s blog suggests she is a hurtful, selfish individual who places a higher importance on being pretty than she does on people’s actual value to society. I’m damn sure this carried across into her working environment, since even if you don’t actively say anything this sort of attitude towards your workmates shows in your actions.

Walker T says:

Freedom of speech, private rights… maybe, but I find it that many corporations can treat people in various ways simply because they can without suffering major repercussions. Instead of dealing with the problems Miss Zenner might’ve had with working there, they doffed her and probably replaced her quickly.

I’m lacking in opinion on the matter whether or not she deserved getting fired, I don’t believe I can know enough to make a fair judgement call. What I’m glad to see didn’t happen, is them making some sort of an example of her, because that usually ends up in one person taking the hit of the crimes everybody else might commit.

In today’s culture it’s despicable to see so many men and women be judged as a person by looking at their job. Miss Zenner was obviously not worth much to her employer, and in disregard of the effect it would have on her life, they fired her because it was the easier thing to do.

Ace of Sevens ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I was fired for similar things, only I was writing about a coworker I liked rather than one I hated. Basically, it wasn’t bad enough work takes over our lives by having us spend more and more hours there. Now, we aren’t allowed to have work-inappropriate thoughts, either, even on our off-hours or at least not tell anyone about them.

AbsumZer0 says:

Unless I missed something, the posters on that site all appear to be careful about retaining anonymity.

That’s a huge stretch and not the same logic at all. A better comparison using the same logic would be someone who worked for the Bush campaign getting fired for publicly posting that he wouldn’t vote for Bush because Bush is an idiot.

Dog_Welder ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The First Amendment does not apply here. Nintendo is not the government.

Additionally, privacy concerns go out the window the minute you post something on the internet for the entire world to see.

You absolutely have the right to trash your co-workers and the company you work for with petty insults, but your company has the right to fire your ass for doing so, too.

Valoharth says:

I keep on mulling this whole Debate over in my head, yes a company needs to protect its image however it ultamitly comes down to this simple fact,

People should be able to speak their minds with out fear for persicution, yes there comes concequinces with speaking ones mind however the person shouldn’t have to fear loosing their jobs. In my opinion there is nothing diffrent from fireing some one over a flamatory blog then to fire some one because they didn’t vote for Bush. Its not a rediculos reach here because your using the same logic to defend the company fireing the person. If every one in the office voted for Bush then there would be no drama in the office place plus a vote for Bush is good for the company becasue he’s in our back pocket. If you vote for Kerry then you should suffer the concequince of your actions.

ZippyDSMlee ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Companies fire people all the time from not doing their work to doing it to well to infighting with staff and other reasons this is no worse than anything else but they need to protect themselfs from people suing them from being fired wrongly thus they need to state on paper where the line is and not pull it from their ass.

Nekowolf ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I believe in free speech. I’m very liberal, however. just because there’s “free speech” does not exclude you from “responsibility.” Meaning; say what you want, do what you want. But be prepared to face the consequences.”

She gave up her anonymity (did I spell that right?) as soon as she put her picture up. I have no sympathy for her; you have to be responsible. And if you are not, then, what happens happens. She wasn’t responsible because she gave her identity, whether she knew it or not, and got punished for it. Sure, maybe a firing is a little harsh, but oh well. She seems rich, so maybe she can affort it.

PrimeCupEevee says:

Freedom of Speech doesn’t apply here, as Nintendo is a private business. If you don’t like what Nintendo’s doing, then you (as a consumer) can boycott Nintendo’s products for their actions. That’s usually the optimal free market solution (there are exceptions, of course, like in monoplies).

Rammsoldat says:

no company should have the power to fire somone over what they do in their personal life unless they’re breaking the law. I hate it when the people you work for try to control your life.

That_1_Guy says:

I don’t think this is really fair to her. You know this is America and we do have a law that lets us talk about whatever the hell we want.

I think Nintendo should have ordered a cease and desist or just deal with the problem directly instead of giving the pink slip.

jccalhoun graduate student ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

skimming over her blog she seems like a thoroughly unlikable person who is the product of a rich spoiled background. With things like talking about how her parents had her meeting rich and power people as a kid to how she wants to stay pretty she just seems like someone I wouldn’t want to know. Of course appearances can be deceiving and she may be a very nice person. But I doubt it.

BlackIce, Leftie says:

@Austin Lewis

The rules in the Brit Army are a bit different to the US. But I don’t fight for Britain anymore, so that’s okay. But I still fight.. Anyway..

Uhm… so I think my point is that she has a right to free speech and all..

ZippyDSMlee ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

TO zippy this is a PR move to cover thier ass its not breaking anything because names are not given if the company wants to toe the line past whats in the current contracts then prehpas they need to have it in writing that one can not talk about the company in public without consent from the company when broken one can be repermaned or fired.

I am sure that breaks some laws of some kind but WTF its not like corporations follow them anyway, nothing like lobbying to lobotomize regulation..

Austin Lewis ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ BlackIce, Leftie
    Well, when you have a bad one, yes. You and I have had bad jobs with terribly hostile working environments. But she worked at Nintendo as a CONTRACTOR, making a huge salary no doubt. So no, I don’t think she could get away with it.

Imagine tellin your Major to his face what you thought of him. Would you still be in that unit afterwards? Probably not.

jadedcritic ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

For the most part I can relate. Pretty much ever since the advent of globalization and the decline of unions we (employees) have been steadily losing ground in the workplace as companies demand more and more, and give less and less. Don’t misunderstand me, I’m NOT – (capital) advocating the return of unions. That’s a grade A example of exchanging one set of problems for another.

What I do, however resent, is companies treating their workforces poorly and then playing victim-theater at the least little thing their employees might do.

Honestly, I don’t have a solution, but I can’t help but notice the article said “contractor” at Nintendo. My instinct say they probably expected her to give more loyalty then they were willing to return.

AbsumZer0 says:

While I sympathize with her, the fact is that the higher-ups were able to find her blog and confirm her identity via her PICTURE means that it wasn’t private, and many of her co-workers were probably aware of it including, potentially, her boss. She was creating drama in the workplace and was dumb enough to leave accessible written evidence of it. If she’d gotten fired for complaining about her bosses’ management style to the higher-ups, that’s one thing, but to post in public space with readily identifiable information that her boss was a bitch who needed to get laid… she was practically asking to get axed.

Matthew ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

If you bitch about your work in public, then they stand a chance of finding out. They might even actively look for such outpourings if they have reason to suspect that you’re not a team player.

What do you think will happen if your employer finds out that you hate your job and your workmates or superiors? On-the-spot dismissal may be a bit harsh, but they’re not going to be expected to overlook it. You work *for* a company, not just in the same building as it. What she did was insubordinate and would have easily been reason for A Talk.

If you really do hate working for a particular company and moan about it on the intertron, then you might not have to endure them for too long.

Spekkio ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I am so sick of this crap. Corporations are whittling away people’s rights to do as they (lawfully) please during non-work hours, and nobody seems to care…at least not enough to actually do anything about it. I hate to sound like tinfoil…but it seems to me that corporations would just love to get back to the “good old days” where you lived in a community that was owned by the company, you bought your groceries, etc, from a store owned by the company, and you really didn’t have a life outside the company.

I guess I should shut up now – heaven knows I’ll be jobseeking somewhere down the line, some HR lackey will read this, and I’ll be blacklisted and end up “living in a van down by the river.”

Ben Yaka ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I have no pity for people who get fired or loose scholarships due to someone finding what they wrote on the internet.

Shouldn’t of posted it if you weren’t ready to deal with the consequences. 😛

nightwng2000 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This is a growing problem in a large segment of society. Encouraging people to speak their minds, anonymously or otherwise, “share their feelings”, and so on, and when people, young or old, do (much of the time in blogs of varying types), they suddenly realize that “opening yourself up” turned out to be nothing more than a trap for authority figures (school principals/teachers, school boards, bosses, cops, etc) to have an excuse to grab you off the street and punish you for the very thing they opened the door for you to do.

It’s also true that such open speech has been abused as well. While individuals have opened their hearts and minds to the public, others have used such open speech to intentionally cause harm. One example has been the type of sites where anonymous individuals can make all sorts of accusations, true or false, and not be held responsible for even the false accusations.

But at the same time, venting criticism about others has been denied and allowed stressful situations to build out of cotnrol.

So it has proven to be difficult to create a fair, neutral stance on such Public speech.

NW2K Software

Valoharth says:

@ Thomas

I wanna dissagree with you about it not applying here but alas, I really can’t come up with a good counter argument. However I can say this, The First Amendment was made so that people could activily partisapate in the political proscess. This rule also applys to our jobs, we have the freedom of saying that a certian person is whorable at their jobs and should be fired from it or openly say that they are getting treated diffrently because of something.

I still feel that Nintendo is in the right with this becase she was attacking a person not on their work habbits but on the fact that the person may have not gotten some action in their private life. That violates the 5th amendment there.

So overall I guess I’m agreeing with you!

Socialist Gamer ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This is a bit of a split issue for me. On the one hand, it’s a private bog. On the other hand, I’ve noted people who’re total obscene jerks on the internet, are quite often unpleasant in “the real world.” And then there is always the thing where it appears she posted using her work computer, making her very easy to track and then one could call it “using company resources” to publicly insult your coworkers.

general531 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Bloggers are not immune to libel and defamation suits.

Very good advice.

Employers do NOT have the ability nor the right to intrude on their employees’ private lives. Blogs are not private. They can be (and are) read by anyone at anytime, including your employer.

@BlackIce, Leftie
    Bitching about your job is one thing. Making a comment like what Zenner did and posting it on an outlet in which anyone can see is not a smart move.

Thomas ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

There is a big difference between bitching about your workmates and bosses in private, and doing it in public. It doesn’t matter if you don’t mention them by name, putting it in a blog with your face on it is a putting it in a public place, and Nintendo are quite within their rights to consider that unacceptable.

Freedom of Speech doesn’t only not mean freedom from consequences, it doesn’t even vaguely apply here.. this is a private company who found out one of their employees was publicly, and offensively, discussing problems with coworkers outside their workplace.. if Zenner had kept her comments private between friends, it would not have happened, instead she decided to post them on the internet for all to see.

Dun1031 says:

I agree that one should be able to bitch and gripe about work. The point of a blog is to express your thoughts. However, one has to use some common sense. If your trashing your co-workers, company, bosses daughter, etc… don’t post your picture, name, state, company you work for, or any other identifying information.

She has her rights to express herself but Nintendo has a right to protects it’s self and it’s employees.

jadedcritic ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I don’t know – I can’t imagine this being a terribly serious sin in any real form. We’ve all been unhappy at work, and we’ve all told horror work stories. I’m usually pretty conservative, but I guess on this subject I’m rather liberal. Inclined to think this was not very fair treatment. Then again, Nintendo could be one of those companies with rather byzantine non-disclosure agreements. Dennis does his best to impartial I’m sure, but it seems to me that we’re only getting half the story here. If Nintendo can point to a section they think is seriously compromising, then fine, but if the worst thing they have is a section where she says she thinks her boss isn’t getting sideways action, well, that might be a little unprofessional, but I don’t especially think it’s a damning sin in and of itself.

Verbinator ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

All that makes this newsworthy on GamePolitics is that a high profile game company was involved. People are terminated everyday for non-professional behavior. If it is true that she was warned about her activities, then Nintendo gave her a chance to correct the behavior.

If she was being bitchy about people online, chances are she was no joy to be around at work either. She may have been done in by complaints by her coworkers.

Freedom of Speech does not mean freedom from the consequences of choosing your words poorly … or publishing them where the world can see.

Mauler ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Well, one of her photos seems to be one at work. It’s entirely possible that they found her blog by monitoring her internet access and as such the statement about work appropriate might make a bit of sense in that context. Of course, personally attacking your coworkers anywhere can get you fired. Creates a “hostile work enviroment” and all.

Valoharth says:

I’m pretty torn by this subject, on one side I feel that she has the freedom of speech however like Jim stated above Company’s HR departments are now google-ing up prespective employees and if they happen to come across the name in one of their ex-coworkers blogs and its a nagitive blog it reflects badly on them.

I think in the next couple of years we’re going to be seeing an incress in Lible suits targeting blog authors for this very reason

rdeegvainl ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“I’ve seen everything that she’s written and it’s really not work appropriate.”
    Sex isn’t work appropriate either, but it’s still allowed in the off time.

rdeegvainl ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Love this quipp
    Like work should have that much of a bearing over someone’s personal life that they wouldn’t have a blog unless it was encouraged.

17-A says:

“I’ve seen everything that she’s written and it’s really not work appropriate.”

…Of course it’s not work appropriate. It’s a BLOG, not an internal memo. Unless she used company resources to write the blog, I don’t see how that argument has any merit.

Have there been any employees who have taken their former employers to court over a decision to terminate them based on the content in their blog? If not, I might try bitching about work myself and see if I can’t get the ball rolling.

BaronJuJu ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Xlorep

She never named the company or ther coworkers by name but I think it was the photo that did her in. Once someboy could tie the posts with the company that was it. Then it gets around that she is posting about coworkers, insulting posts at that, it can make for a very uncomfortable work enviroment that is not needed. If she had issues with folks she needed to deal with them directly, not insult and whine about them to the entire world.

It shows very poor tact in my opinion.

general531 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I support free-speech strongly, but you just can’t make bad comments about your co-workers without some kind of punishment. Zenner was being a detriment to Nintendo for her comments.

That being said, Zenner’s termination was a little too harsh. A public reprimand, administrative leave, or even a public apology would be fine.

You know, if someone posts on a blog, without naming anyone at work, and going under an alias, I do think it’s a bit much to fire that person for their opinions. If she had named anyone at Nintendo specifically, or stated where she worked, or even given her real name on the site, I could understand a concern. But right now, it seems more like a personal vindictiveness against her by someone which she vaguely “called out” without naming specifically.

DazedandConfused says:

So she fucked up…big deal. It’s not like she’s saying stuff that you all have never thought. Also, to all the gamers in here commenting on her looks, you all have no room to talk. I do think that she said some malicious things, but I don’t see how that makes her a “skank”.

It’s a free country.
    Sadly, it’s also (in most places) a ‘no-fault’ employment country. Which is to say that you can be fired for just about anything but sex, race or religion.

So, yeah, sad, but I’m on her side — and any of you that think firing people over their excercise of (constitutionally protected) rights to free speech should take your censoring, prudish, thick skulls to another place to live — you all make me sick.

Jay says:

If I owned a business, and I discovered an employee was semi-anonymously (It’s not just the photograph, she must have told people about her blog, the Internet is too big for some Nintendo exec to just ‘stumble across’ some completely anonymous blog that happens to have someone’s picture in it) saying absolutely horrible things about her co-workers, I’d want to have the right to fire him or her.

If you don’t, then it means that you’ve got a de facto right to harass and abuse co-workers, and create a really negative place to work, basically getting the ability to force someone to quit. Why should co-workers have that ability where employers don’t?

TigerZahn says:

This post has brought to light previously unthought of concerns in the regards to having a job, having an opinion and having the ability to communicate.

Yes, blogging can be percieved as public…but what if someone comes to misplace a personally written in journal and a tabloid or some other journalist or WHOMEVER finds it, reads it and makes it public? Would the individual whom wrote it be fired then? What if someone overheard you talking to a friend on the phone about a particular nasty situation at work and just-so-happened to see a logo on your shirt?

I can sum up the direct thoughts of all those scenarios and the course of action that could follow them, as well as plenty of others, with two words: Life happens.

In rebuttal to my previous sentence, “Without chaos we have no order and without order, chaos is doomed.”.

Unless the lady was blogging from work, passing along company secrets (which, if I read the article correctly, she wasn’t), left the sites up on her computer and/or told fellow co-workers about her blog then I can see of no reason as to why action should have been taken against her.

Thoughts, opinions…it all happens. It’s life and to be otherwise would be firing ourselves.

Cavalier ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I hate to break it to you folks, but having worked in the game testing industry some, a “contractor” for Nintendo is most likely someone working in their minimum-wage in-house game testing lab. Everyone there is contractor through an outside service, to avoid certain laws in Washington about mandatory insurance for full-time labor.

It is also this way with the out-of-house testing for Microsoft and Sony.

getwellgamers ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

No Politivs like Office Politics… :sigh:

I really think this is going too far. Anyone who thinks that an underling hating their boss for whatever reason and subsequently complaining about it is somehow unusual has rose-colored glasses superglued to their eyes.

Names withheld, under an alias, ona private blog? Nintendo should have just kept their noses out of it and their traps shut. I think this is really poor form on their part.

Jim says:

I’m not sure how this is politics, but sure. Standard HR procedure is to ensure contractors and employees aren’t dissing their own company. Also, tip to aspiring employees: clean up your current blogs, MySpaces, etc. The smart HR guy checks them before hiring you.

Don’t have enough info to say whether or not this was good on Nintendo’s part, but hey, this is reality.