Venezuelan Group Celebrates Delayed Release, Changes to Mercs 2

A group calling itself the Venezuela Solidarity Network has issued a press release celebrating news that Pandemic’s Mercenaries 2: World in Flames has been pushed from EA’s holiday release schedule.

According to the GameStop website, Mercs 2 is now set for a February, 2008 launch.

In March, the VSN petitioned Bono, a major Pandemic investor, to block release of Mercs 2, claiming it would deepen existing tensions between the U.S. and Venezuelan governments. Said Gunnar Gundersen, who coordinated the protest:

I wouldn’t want my sons to buy it and blow up neighborhoods that we can clearly recognize where their cousins, aunts and uncles live.  Still, at least the villain is no longer a Hugo Chavez look alike and the story line no longer mirrors actual international politics.

Chuck Kaufman, another spokesman for the group, added:

The VSN also claimed that Pandemic changed the game’s story line in response to pressure from a variety of organizations. Marie Dennis, of the Maryknoll Office for Global Concerns, said:

Bono never responded directly, but apparently our point hit home that financing a violent video game that targets a government already targeted by the Bush administration is counter to the reputation as a humanitarian that he has earned with his work on AIDS in Africa and debt relief.  Pandemics began to change the story line soon after our letter was delivered.

Activist Jorge Marin added:

Andres says:

Im Venezuelan, and im a gamer, i support and endorse this game.

I despise Hugo Chavez and everything he stands for, i was sad to see he wasnt actually in the game, but hey, back to topic, even if its about Venezuela and not this guy i dont see why the big deal, its a hypothethical situation using real wold events, which are happening and yes, Chavez is a very well covered-up dictator and this bolivarian revolution sickens me for the web of lies it spins daily blaming everything on everyone but ourselves.

I ramble on too much, all i hop is that the game depicts a very real or at least similar Venezuela than the one i live in, and if i do play tis game, ill try and save as many from oppression as possible, hope i could do the same in real life

Jacob says:

It’s funny how freedom of speech is protected for racists of all kinds, and movies can push the absolute boundaries of decency. However, if some little piss pot dislikes some element of a game, everyone gets their undwear in a bunch. Basing elements of a game on real life political situations adds to the overall feel of the game. I don’t want to enter never never land ever time I play a game.

You know I don’t like certain types of media, rap music, movies that portray all cops as criminals, and anything with steven segal. Do I run out and protest those things, or attempt to get them censored? No, I do what anyone who disagrees with content should do. I turn it off, and refuse to buy or watch it.

Why can’t these pissy little special intrest groups find something important to crusade for. For god’s sake how many video games have been made where players blow the crap out of WW2 germany, and shoot germans by the dozen? Have we heard german special interest groups pissing and whinning about COD or MOH games? No, we have not, because they have other shit to worry about.

Marlowe says:

Just for the record, anyone who bitched about this story: and called the game anti-Semitic or made some jackass sarcastic comment about Islam being a “religion of peace” has NO RIGHT to support this game, which depicts mercenaries entering Venezuela in a hypothedical future scenario and depicts their leader as a merciless tryant much like the Iranian game did for Israel.

Erik ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“The man is standing up for the poor. He believes this to be such a cause that he has removed the terms on presidency so he can see this through. I hope.”

Any time a politician decides to remove the terms on their own term its NEVER a good thing.

Dave says:

Josh Resnick, president of Pandemic Studios has responded to this by simply saying :
    “Pandemic Studios never has and never will be intimidated by tyrants. Our invasion is on schedule: Mercenaries 2 will be released in early 2008.”

Anonymous says:

@ Jorge Martin:

Despite the numerous good deeds performed by Hugo Chavez, he remains a wanabe (and soon to be) dictator. His actions against the oposition channels (even if they often were outspoken) are not democratic in any way, also be informed that I do not believe any of the “he is doing it for the good of the people” thing. If anything, he is doing it, like any politician, for the good of his re-election/[insert revelant political victory designaton here] and not for the people. These actions would again be really good if, and only if, he had kept the oposition able to comunicate with the people (blame me for being french if wrong (and, yes we have self-censored media too) but I don’t think most of the venezuelian population has internet acess) and hadn’t been in so many cases of massive political pressure on pretty much everyone. (Police, governors and suchlike, The Economist (yes, I know it supported the Iraq War, I don’t condonne it either) and many other newpapers have unearthed cases of policemen/hospital and official personel to have to claim support for Hugo Chavez in order to keep their jobs.

You might have guessed that I don’t like Hugo Chavez and his ilk. I don’t know why I ranted after you either.

Sorry for the political rant from a frenchie youngling but my point was… well, that Venezuela isn’t the first contry to be “targetted” in a video game.
    In Supreme Commander, you get to nuke (see Defcom for more nuking) some place near Hawai and I haven’t done it yet, in battlefield Vietnam/ Korea/ Pretty much any other place you also blow things up, and I feel that it isn’t necessary to complain about it, since it is virtual, many other media have featured things blowing up in a wide variety of locations.

BlackIce, Leftie says:

@pen gun

Riight.. I’m guessing your uncle is an American Patriot.

I’ve got one bit of advice: If it sounds like an opinion, and that certainly does, ask yourself who’s opinion it is. Yours? Fine. Someone else’s? Not good.

pen gun ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I played the first mercenaries and it took place in north korea. now me and my friends were gussing what country it would be in. I picked cheniya. I lost. I don’t think pandemic give two shits about this group. also my uncle says that chaves is a fucking pycopath.

Soldatlouis ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Jorge Marin :

Hey, thanks a lot for joining us ! I always appreciate when people (columnists, activists, etc…) who give publicly their opinion on games come here to debate (except when it’s Mr. “attorney-and-you’re-not”).

Like I’ve said, I never considered you as a typical “anti-game crusader”, and you have good reasons to be upset that a real country (yours, indeed) is targeted in a game based on a “modern context”. And like I’ve said, it’s the kind of bad taste controversies we can avoid.

My only objection was the fact that games were, once again, automatically associated to “kids”. Just add adults next time and I’ll have no problem any more.

BlackIce, Leftie says:

@Everyone who seems to think I said Chavez is pro-free speech

I said that he was not the only Anti-free speech politician active in that area. My point was that he, unlike many others, has a cause for his actions (if you want to call it that. I’m sure you don’t but oh well..)

About the TV station. You are aware that the right-wing media were key movers in the 2002 coup against him? The best reason he would have to close them down is to stop the same thing happening again.

Don’t tell me otherwise without proof.

rdeegvainl ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ the sensitivity people,
    I care not that this is a sensitive issue for anyone, that doesn’t make it any more wrong than if the issue was completely bland and ambiguous.

Jorge Marin says:

Well I guess we have stirred the pot a bit. If one could keep an eye on your 15 y/o’s kids all the time, then the rating of the game would matter.
    I enjoyed video games, they are very entertaining and many required skill to master. It was never our intention to prevent the game from coming into the market. But standing by and not raising our concerns would have been irresponsible.
    If we live in a free democracy, then we have the right to object. Venezuela, as most LA countries have suffered the so call Capitalist free market. A market where the corporation can reap the raw resources from the country and pay very little for it, regardless of the damage done to the ecology, as long as profits are up for the corporation, and its stock holders make dividents. Taxes? why pay them if you can buy off ministers. Just offer them a condo in Miami. Who cares about this? The fact that the wages for workers in LA are $2.00 or $3.00 per day. And you wonder why we have an immigrant problem. Their goods cost as much as they do here.

President Chavez is popular, but for good reasons. The health system, the educational system, and the poverty rate have all gone in the right direction, thanks to the initiatives that President Chavez has instituted. Just to give you an example, this past weekend three new hospitals were inaugurated and many more are scheduled to be built. There are clinics throughout all the poor areas offering free medical care. The illiterate rate was 10% when Chavez was elected, now is at, or below, 3% and numerous universities campuses are now available throughout the country. The Central University, which is public, gets 9,000 applications every year, but they have only room for 600 new students. Now those students, that can’t afford a private university, can continue their education. There are food markets and super-markets throughout the country where food can be purchased at discounted prices.

We all need to learn from history, and I don’t mean a far off history. There were no WMD in Iraq, so why should we believe this administration when they call Iran a terrorist State, why should we believe that North Korea is evil, because they made a nuke, didn’t the US bring nukes to South Korea and parked them on the pier. Our own patriots were labeled terrorists by the British because they wouldn’t fight “fair”.

I love many things about this article. For one, when he said that you could go and blow up neighborhoods where family lived… WOW, just wow. THe game is not intended to mimic Venezuela exactly, but rather to capture the feel, the flavor, I suppose, of the locale. If you are or were a resident of Venezuela, some of the world might seem familiar when you play it, but you won’t be able to recognize specific houses, and you can’t find and kill your own Grandma. Gaming technology isn’t anywhere near advanced enough to do that.

I also like how he calls Blackwater “mercenaries”. Here’s a Protip from the Prima’s Strategy Guide of War. PMC(private military companies) =/= Mercenaries. The converse may be true, Mercenaries may be part of a PMC, but Blackwater or any other PMC employed in Iraq or anywhere else are NOT mercenaries. Blackwater are more like well armed security guards, hired to guard convoys and VIPs and important locations that the military can’t handle because their hands are tied with other things. A mercenary is hired to perform an active combat role, a warfighter for hire, a soldier of fortune, who actively pursues and destroys the enemy he is hired to kill. Blackwater is hired to stand around things and look scary with guns, and only retaliate when attacked. It is what they do after being atacked that causes the controversy, and what they do when being rowdy and disorderly that causes deaths of civilians and other horrible things. But make no mistake, Blackwater are not Mercs, and they don’t do what mercs do. Like I said, heavily armed security guards who raise the Dickens if someone foolishly stirs up their hornets nest.’

I also love how he thinks that the storyline was changed at all, and that their campaign had anything to do with it if it did. The storyline hasn’t changed since it was first announced, its just that when the specifics of the main villain were revealed, they said “Oh look its not Chavez anymore!’
    Hah! Well guess what? It never was Chavez! You just read too much into it. Now, why they would connect “Dictator that messes with oil supply” with Chavez, I don’t know. They must have guilty consciences.

All in all, its good to see Ol’ Gunnar stirring up dirt again> Back in the day when he was trying to cause trouble at the Mercs 2 forums under the name GGunders, him and I had a very lengthy private message correspondence in which we discussed the politics of Venezuela, the Game, and absurdity of labeling the game as mindless propaganda.

Too long, don’t read, these people really have no leg to stand on.

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

That I didn’t know. Up here the media pretty much just portrayed them as the underdog opposition, they didn’t mention they were mostly funded by the oil cartels… Then again they were also trying their damnedest to paint Chavez as the next Stalin, so saying anything bad about his opponents would probably cause a hemorrhage…

jds ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Enjoy Mercs2. I didn’t like the first one enough to get the second…

My intention wasn’t to actually say someone was against freedom. I made a bad judgment on how to phrase a joke.

As far as you coming from a family of liberals… Well, I don’t care. You can be of any political persuasion; it doesn’t matter to me. And, both libs and conservatives are under attack recently. Just look at what is happening to Rush and O’Reilly. Regardless of yours, or my opinions of them, they are both being mutilated by the media and scumbag organizations like MoveOn that have taken their comments completely out of context.

Hell, MoveOn even sued a guy for selling stuff on CafePress that mocks MoveOn. Where’s the logic in a liberal organization shutting down free speech? So, both sides are taking it on the chin right now.

And, my president isn’t helping too much. But you know what? I’d support anyone that is president. Once they get there they get my support. Even if I didn’t vote for ’em.

Anyhow, take care and thanks for dropping some knowledge on me.

Night Raider says:

First and most importantly, I am a Venezuelan. I study at an American school, but I have lived here my entire life. Second, not all Venezuelans agree with this kind of bullshit. In fact, I believe that it be quite awesome to be able to play Mercs 2, and be able to see different parts of Venezuela recreated on this medium. Sort of what a New Yorker might like about GTA 4, that it shows his city. (Albeit, Liberty City is not actually New York, but it’s based on it and it has quite a few resemblances.) I still remember playing Boiling Point and wishing that the setting would have been real. It looked like a mixture between Mexico and Colombia, which frankly I found hilarious.

So yeah, just posting so that others realize that not all Venezuelans agree with these kinds of political actions.

Yuki says:

OK, Say it with me now.

Hugo Chavez is a bully, Tyrant, Dick head, asshole, and a couple more.

I say we should put his face on the game with a bullseye over it just to piss that little pissant dictator off.

While were at it, lets add Amedenadoucebag to it just for kicks.

I hate it when these stupid idiots get all but hurt cause were pointing out how fucked up there leaders are. Bush aint a brillant leader, hell, I got some major issues with him as later, but he’s still better then chavez or Amadenadouche any day. Still, glad he’s leaving office in a year.

Scolar Visari says:

If can remember correctly Blackwater are not mercenaries but pmcs. Not all pmcs are bad! Im also sure Blackwater doesn’t run around with RPGs and mohawks blowing stuff up. I don’t even need to repeat that its just a game or its not targeting kids.

nuke boy says:

I know in a WW2 game(can’t remember the name) you could play as the germans as well as the allies. I had absolutely no problem at all killing american troops. That is why they are called GAMES!

chuck ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

My goodness, Marin and company are really spraining their arms patting themselves on the back. Did they get access to all the production materials or an advance copy or something? Because most games I know of that base themselves on real-world people and places tend to fictionalize names and places for the simple expedient of it being easier to write a fictional story in such a setting — no one’s expectations are being set that the story has to conform to events that are current as of the game’s release date. So if they set it in “Venazarro” where the leader is “Hugh Mendez”, you could still have the national oil strike going on, or set it right after the attempted coup, with no one complaining that the game material was dated.

I guess the activists can take their victory if they need it. I’m sure Bono still doesn’t even know or care that the game exists.

Father Time ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Do the makers of merc 2 actually care what venezuala thinks about their game? How big can that market be anyway? Oh and then there is of course the idea that controversy sells. While most of the people in the U.S. will probably never here about this bit of controversy, it still can’t hurt them.

Bustahwolf says:

Sorry, I have a big issue with accusations that someone hates freedom without them saying so outright. Being in a family full of liberals we hear that a lot, especially in recent years, for disagreeing with the administration’s line. It’s usually baseless, and designed to shut up the dissenting view. If it wasn’t for that I wouldn’t have had a problem with your post.

I have issue siding with RCTV because they’re run by the people that supported Venezuela when it was an oil-based oligarchy, and made sure as little tax revenue went to the lower class as possible. Actually, rerouting tax revenue to go more to the general public was a major reason for the 2002 coup. And also why it failed, since it led to gigantic rallies from the lower class that probably would’ve led to civil war if the invading force hadn’t stopped.

But it’s a shame that Chavez, who started off acting like he’d take care of the place, has wound up $#@!ing everything up by going into the other extreme. Maybe I could’ve supported him 3 years ago, but since then he has been taking steps that can lead to becoming a new communistic leader.

…you know what? Now I’m all motivated to pick up Merc 2 and just blow stuff up for awhile. Guess it’s worked out positively in the end!

jds ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Good point. Very good point, actually. We will see this differently, but I stick with my “neighbor” analogy. Chavez controls enough oil that he can say what he wants and get other countries on his side regardless of what the US thinks about it. But he is playing both sides here… The US is one of the only countries, and the cheapest, by far, that can refine the particular type of crude Chavez has gurgling under his land. I am just remembering this fact also, I did not keep it to myself as I typed upstairs… But, he is using us, for a darn good price, and thumbing his nose at us all the while. He is also working with known terrorists nations.

I just see things as “pre-emptive is better than retaliatory.” And, I’m not sure if the US was ever involved more than Chavez saying, “This has the CIA hands all over it.” I could very well be wrong, but I try to follow world events and I think I’d have heard it…

Not saying the US is always right, but I’m damn proud of my country and based on what I’ve seen/read Chavez is the new Putin.

Again, though… Good point you make.

Capitalism being used by a select few to keep the rest of the country down? I completely disagree with that. Any person in this country able to start their own business. And, there is NO business in the world that is in business to lose money. So, all businesses want more money. Classic Gordon Gekko theory here… Greed is good. It gives people something to aspire to… But, I’m one that believes people need to be responsible for themselves. The gov’t can’t be relied upon to provide for every schmo that can’t do it themselves. Besides, I don’t trust any gov’t to run things in a way that would secure my personal stability. They can’t even keep their secrets secret.

And, I won’t ignore you. Even if I completely disagree with you I’d be happy to debate/type/e-mail/discuss/say anything. I’m pretty level-headed in that regard.

Bustahwolf says:

If I may respond to your questions to blackice, I will say I’m disgusted with his recent legislations. I may be leftist by nature, but even I know that gov’t control of the press impratical at best and oppresive at worst. I don’t even want to get started on the term limit removal.

However, you’re putting the cart before the horse with your justification of US interfering with Venezuela. The actions of Chavez I know of that have damaged Venezuela have been in the last couple of years. They seem to be a reaction to both the Coup attempt in 2002 and the failed recall election in 2004, in a bad attempt to stop the media people that were influential with both incidents. If the US was indeed directly involved in both actions, then they are a major driving force in Chavez’s vitriol towards our country, and his downward spiral into becoming a complete #@!-hole.

However, I don’t see Chavez being a bigger or smaller asshole than any other leader, Shrub included.

Then again, I think the US gov’t has a lot of problems, and capitalism is being abused by a select few to keep the rest of the country down, so I guess I also hate freedoms too eh? Maybe you should just ignore me then.

general531 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ BlackIce, Leftie
    He shut down RCTV because they were opposed to him. Tell me that isn’t an act against freedom of speech.

Artifex says:

Has anyone bothered to contact Pandemic or EA to see if this is actually in response to the VSN petition and not just a coinicidence of development delay that the VSN is taking credit for?

bildo says:

Activist Jorge Marin added:

“This isn’t a victory because Bono and Pandemics are still telling kids it’s okay to attack my home country, but it is progress and it wouldn’t have happened without public pressure.”

Um…Hugo Chavez has gone on record saying things like this:

“”The imperialist, mass murdering, fascist attitude of the president of the United States doesn’t have limits. I think Hitler could be a nursery baby next to George W Bush.”

I’m not exactly a Bush fan but I don’t hate him either. He certantly hasnt done anything that would warrent him a comparison to the man who commanded death to the jews and almost acctually did it.

I bet people like Chavez and his officals would have no problem if the enemy in the game was Bush and the area was very similar to the United States….douche bags.

Ace of Sevens ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

As to their concern about real neighborhoods, this is present in plenty of game set in the US and UK. People like blowing up their own neighborhoods, it seems. Americans won’t know how accurate the recreation is, so I would assume any attempts at geographical accuracy are largely for the benefit of the locals.

hilaryduffgta says:

“I wouldn’t want my sons to buy it and blow up neighborhoods that we can clearly recognize where their cousins, aunts and uncles live. Still, at least the villain is no longer a Hugo Chavez look alike and the story line no longer mirrors actual international politics”

Wait! Huh! Ok so do they think that if they blow up the “pixelated neighborhoods” that it will then blow up the “real neighborhood”

*shakes head* can we send all the stupid people to mars??

jds ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

BlackIce, Leftie

If you think Chavez is pro free speech, why is he now socializing the press? Why, for the love of coffee, would the government need to be in charge of the press? To legislate free speech?

And, why has he modified the article (Article 230) in their constitution, removing term limits for a president?

I honestly don’t know the answers to these questions, and welcome the answers if you can provide them. But to hate America’s government, and loathe capitalism… well, I guess you hate freedom.

Further, so what if any action against Hugo Chavez was US backed? Would you sit back and relax if your neighbor was constantly preaching the downfall of you and your family? Would you sit back and relax if your neighbor colluded with Iran, Cuba and North Korea by having “We hate you” parties? I would hope that you would also do whatever is necessary to protect yourself. Regardless of how successful.

But I digress. I have no problem with you having your own opinion, even if I disagree with it. Just wanted to pose a few questions and stuff while I’m waiting for my drywall mud to dry enough to sand…

Capgun ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Woah woah woah. Hang on a second. The only proof I see is that EA is pushing back the release day. I see nothing about storyline changes? Where the hell are they pulling this from? I say, ignore these idiots until we got some proof. THEN we get pissed off. For now, i call lying-in-a-failed-attempt-to-make-them-think-they’re-doing-something.

BlackIce, Leftie says:

We need an Edit Button.. I’d take up so much less space for my.. controversy… that way.

Anyway, after that, look up the War On Democracy. It’s a John Pilger film.

BlackIce, Leftie says:

Note that the fact that it was proven to be US backed. That’s real high-ground you’ve got there..

Deal with your government first, then worry about Chavez.

kurisu7885 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

When artistic censorship wins, everyone loses.

“This isn’t a victory because Bono and Pandemics are still telling kids it’s okay to attack my home country,”

No they are not you idiot, the hero in the game is trying to overthrow a militaristic dictator, and, guess what, DEEDEEDEEEEEEE, in a military operation, things blow up. What do you expect them to change it to, the mercenary prancing around and giving everyone a flower to stop fighting?

Sidewinder says:

AIDS… debt relief… video games… Boy, isn’t Bono somebody to truly admire.

I agree with Austin. He’s a philanthropist that gives money and a speech now and then. Nothing wrong with doing that, but I wouldn’t run to him the moment I’ve got a problem.

Bustahwolf says:

I totally agree with that. Can’t blame someone for feeling antsy when the locale directly relates to their own life. But if there’s a real agenda behind a game using a specific location or group of people, not only is it usually clear-cut, it’s more or less advertised to the buyer.

Resistance Records makes no qualms about the fact that their piles of crap like Ethnic Cleansing are made to promote violence towards a group of people. And there’s a pretty clear line between a game like that, and a game that’s just presenting a work of fiction with elements similar to real life (which is was Merc 2 is doing).

And, that goes back to the point of this game being for an older audience that can tell the difference between the two and so on.

coen020 says:

this discussion is so clearly not a discussion because WE(gamers) are just right!,
    you say that it is wrong to shoot at real world buildings and shoot people

First: what does it matters if you shoot a real world building in a game? although there might be people in it WHICH BTW DONT LIVE IN REAL LIVE so that doesnt matter,
    And second: YOU CAN CHOOSE WHO YOU WORK FOR!!! so mothers and fathers dont be afraid that your kid’s gonna shoot venezualians because there probably gonna shoot at americans while they work for the venezualians

and btw its just a game, you people whine too much really

Dave says:

Do we have clarification from Pandemic they indeed are making these changes or are just just claiming it? Last I heard they were delaying it to make it play better.

Geekwad says:

The setting in Mercs just a vehicle to string together a bunch of gameplay. They weren’t writing a game to make some kind of political statement, but end up making and infantile one anyway. It was either stupid or smarmy and in either case insensitive to ape a real world situation that many people have strong feelings about for something that is essentially optional to enjoying the game. If they are not going to take an impartial point of view and try to realistically examine some aspect of the situation, it cheapens their game.

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Pandemics began to change the story line soon after our letter was delivered.

So in other words, Pandemic was planning to change the game for a while, and you’re letter was not responsible.

Stealing credit FTW!

Anyone know what was actually changed?

This was apparently speculated by EBGames last month, they moved the release date to April 08, but EA insisted at the time it was still on track for a holiday release.

Here’s the gamespot linkie:

“We’re not adding new features or content at this point,” said the Pandemic official. “We are using the extra time to make sure that the game is 100 percent polished and truly shines as the best next-gen, open-world experience on any gaming system to date.”

Sounds like they just don’t want to compete with Halo3…

JustChris says:

This is just a case of being too close for comfort. The same thing happened with Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, and Mexico’s government got a little worried that they’re featured in a war zone, even if it’s set a couple years in the future. Even with GTA San Andreas, a gamer wrote a letter to a gaming magazine, explaining his initial discomfort when he first fired up the game and was put in the gang-baning zones of Los Santos. He grew up in some bad parts of LA, by the way.

There will always be a small part of the population that would be knee-deep in a real-life situation represented in these sorts of games.

It’s different with Germany, because when we attack Germany in those WWII games we attack Nazis, not today’s Germans.

BlackIce, Leftie says:

I accept that i’m no role model for children, No-one who fires guns should be, but Mercs 2 is not telling kids to attack Venezuala. Isn’t now, wasn’t then.

Demontestament ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Wait wait stop the presses.Bono is telling people to attack their country? Since when has Bono condoned any use of violence? I didn’t think he would be stupid enough to fall for this crap that the game is going to train kids to blow up their neighborhoods because they are in a game. They talk about being a positive role modle? What about Hugo Chavez? The man is a psychopathic dictator who rules with an iron fist, censors anything that doesn’t agree with his views. He even called this game a training tool for American Children to be brainwashed by Bush so he could send them in and Assassinate him.

Here is a hint to all the morons out there once again protesting in the name of the children. It is rate M, M does not stand for monkeys it stand for MATURE. Not for children, but being the morons most parents are these days they rather try and get a game banned so nobody can play it so the children are safe. You don’t like the game don’t play it, don’t want your kid being “corrupt” by th evil American game company and Bono then don’t buy them the game and don’t listen to U2. Simple as that.

Terminator44 says:

As many posters here have pointed out, the game is rated ‘M’ as in “NOT marketed or sold to children.” That defeats that argument. Now, about their claim it will foster hatred toward Venezuela:

While it’s true that the U.S. and Venezuela aren’t excatly on good terms (though Hugo Chavez seems to be just as much to blame for that as Bush), the same is true for the U.S. and North Korea, and the first Mercenaries game was set there. Was there conflict as a result? No. Is there any hard evidence that the game inflamed tensions between the two nations? No. Of course, South Korea banned the game from shelves, but there was no long-impact on U.S.-N.K. relations.

Once again, IT’S JUST A GAME. It is not going to cause a shift in international politics. It is not going to be a key source of political views for Americans. Ultimatly, it will be seen merely for what it is: An action game set in an exotic location.

Arch says:

As a German, both in blood and on paper, I have to say these people are pretty paranoid. My country is constantly getting hammered in World War 1 and 2 sims, and frankly I love my country, but it’s not like it makes a bunch of Americans hate us even more.

These guys kinda remind me of the rebels in Front Mission 4. Wait, they didn’t protest that did they? Hmmm, funny that.

Soldatlouis ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Oh, and here are some more informations about this Venezuela Group and their campaign :

In particular, note this quote by Jorge Marin :

“I don’t have anything against video games. I just don’t think it’s good to use real places when you’re going to destroy the locations,” he said. “There’s no reason why they can’t make up a name and change the scenery so you can’t tell what country it is. Some people think that it’s only a game and we shouldn’t make a fuss of it, but I think it’s important because it’s my country. I am a Venezuelan and I care about Venezuela.”

So they’re not anti-game crusaders. Just people who don’t like their country to be targeted even virtually.

Bustahwolf says:

I only remember Blackwater coming into NO for “enforcement” (quoted because I’m not entirely sure that’s the correct term) after the hurricane, but I could be wrong. A quick look on reported media about emergency supplies, I learned that a naval squadron (the Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) 40) getting to NO with supplies within 2 days of the hurricane, which seems like the first time supplies got there:

Feel free to correct me if you have evidence to the contrary.

ChrowX ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

His entire argument is pointless. Good to see you people riled up, though.

He’s afraid that this game will foster more ill will between the USA and Venezuela because children will play the game and think it’s okay to attack and blow up Venezuela. Now, let’s stop right there.

First of all, what could a child do even if this game did instill a deep boiling hatred for Venezuela? I suppose that child could go to his parents and ask them, “Can we invade Venezuela? I hate that place… It can be my birthday and Christmas present! Pleeeeease?”

Secondly, let’s say it’s not children, let’s say it’s the actual demographic this game will appeal to, the 18 to 34 year-old majority of gamers. What will they do? A whole lot of nothing. I don’t foresee any of us leaping from our couches, ditching the console, and running off to become Mercenaries in some other country.

What else needs to be said?

Soldatlouis ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I, too, understand why they are angry. Even though I’m getting tired when I see that kids are still automatically associated to video games, it’s the kind of controversies we can easily avoid.

myrpok says:

By Halo 3, I’m referring to a AAA title blocked up holiday period. A lot of games are being scared into delays, rather than fight the awesome that is the holiday release schedule. Mass Effect, Assassin’s Creed, Orange Box, Mario Galaxy, Smash Brothers, Unreal Tourn. 3, quite a few I’m not mentioning. Mercs 2 will be good, but I wouldn’t consider it AAA.

Twin-Skies ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“At least no kid will be fooled into thinking he’s learning something about the real world. However, the game is still incredibly violent and romanticizes mercenaries who, as we are seeing with the Blackwater scandal in Iraq, are not proper role models for children.”

Now that I think about it…

Weren’t mercs the first guys to arrive post-Hurricane Katrina to drop off emergency supplies?

lumi ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“I wouldn’t want my sons to buy it and blow up neighborhoods that we can clearly recognize where their cousins, aunts and uncles live.”

If you think this game could convince your sons to “blow up neighborhoods where their cousins, aunts, and uncles live”, then you need to lock them the #$%^ up. They clearly already have severe problems.

Not that anyone who needs to hear this reads these forums, but:

Jesus tapdancing christ, this is not a hard concept to grasp.

Distaria says:

*Facepalms* GOD I am sick of people assuming that all video games are meant for children. This view of interactive entertainment as a child’s hobby is backwards, naive, and just not true. The average gamer is what, now? 25? No people, Pandemic isn’t making this for your 10 year old, and if you’re letting your 10 year old play it, you shouldn’t be the one who has custody of said child, because you’re an idiot. Then again, what can we expect of people today? I see parent take their little kids(we’re talking like 7, 8 maybe) to R rated movies.

Soul ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This game will not be for kids damn it, Pandemic is working to make this a “T” rating.

One of the members I know from the Pandemic forums is from Venezuela and he doesn’t mind the game taking place there, in fact he’s glad that it is.

Austin Lewis ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Hugo Chavez is an asshole.

As for Bono being a ‘humanitiarian’ he’s just a jackass with a big mouth and money to blow. He’s a philanthropist, if anything.

What really pisses me off about this is that we’re listening to people like the VSN as to what we should do with our games and when they should be released. Honestly, this is retarded. What’s next? CAIR telling us that we can’t play Battlefield2?

Somebody, tell the VSN to fuck off, and that Hugo Chavez is creating a new low in rights in that country. (in recent history anyway).

Nebslox says:

These people are so bad at that glass half full, stopping to smell the roses type thing.

They’ve got an opportunity to blow up their very own neighborhood, and they complain?
    Jeez, I’d pay for a chance to have a go at my own virtual house.

And having a game focused on some obscure Australian town would be a cool up yours to well known places.

Bloodharp ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Yo dumbasses, its a game where you f***ing choose what country you work for and blow up, and its freaking M rating, no matter how long its pending on the rating. Seriously, if you cant handle controlling what your kids play, DONT HAVE KIDS! Honestly, has the word “no” left the language? if so, im gonna have some intersting conversations with some parents…

DarrelBT says:

THe other rason they’re uneasy because of America’s boneheaded decisions lately (especially the Iraq War invasion). They’re afraid they might be next on their list.

nightwng2000 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Ummmm… Really? You have a lot of US kids attacking your home country? Wow! Talk about the next generation of warfare!

NW2K Software

DarrelBT says:

True, but I can see where the anger is from. Not every country likes being the bad guy. In fact, most countries don’t like being the bad guy.

I mean, heck. America doesn’t like it when there’s a movie from another that makes America look like the bad guy.

Austin Lewis ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Black Ice
    Hugo Chavez= Hitlery Clinton.

Fixed your math buddy.

See, Hugo has been ‘nationalizing’ TV stations. What this means to you and me is that the TV station belongs to the government.

Once he owns it, he shuts it down. One less voice, on less viewpoint.