BREAKING: ECA Takes a Stand on Fair Use, Disses DMCA

Gamers, the Entertainment Consumers Association officially has your back.

Later today the ECA will announce its support for HR1201, known as the Fair Use Act of 2007. The move represents the ECA’s first foray into the legislative arena.

HR1201 was originally introduced in Congress by Rep. Rick Boucher (D-VA) and co-sponsored by Rep. Charlie Wyatt (R-CA) and Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-CA). The proposed legislation seeks to restore the historical balance in copyright law and return to consumers many of the fair use rights lost with the 1998 passage of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).

As a practical matter, the DMCA has been wielded like a club against consumers by corporate interests such as the RIAA, MPAA and Entertainment Software Association (ESA), which represents U.S. video game publishers. (see: Fear & Loathing Over Feds’ Mod Chip Sting)

Of his proposal to modify the consumer-unfriendly DMCA, Rep. Boucher writes:

For example, under [the consumer-oriented] bill a user may circumvent an access control on an electronic book he purchased for the purpose of reading it on a different electronic reader.

Circumventing access control? Why, that could mean bypassing the region code lockout to play a Japanese game release on your modded console, and what’s so bad about that? Nothing, except that under the DMCA, you’re a criminal. Say hello to the friendly federal agent knocking at your door.

Of the move, ECA president Hal Halpin (top left) said:

We understand and respect the careful balance that must exist between the rights of copyright owners and the rights of consumers of copyrighted material. We believe in the protection of intellectual property while maintaining consumers’ rights, and ability to lawfully use acquired media for non-commercial purposes. Additionally, digital rights issues should be subject to private sector inter-industry resolution rather than government imposed intervention.

Rep. Boucher (left), sponsor of the Fair Use Act, added:

The fair use doctrine is threatened today as never before.  Historically, the nation’s copyright laws have reflected a carefully calibrated balance between the rights of copyright owners and the rights of the users of copyrighted material.

We have introduced the Fair Use Act to restore this balance, and correct the Fair Use disparities created by the DMCA.  I am thrilled to enlist the support of the ECA in this effort to ensure that consumers who purchase digital media can enjoy a broad range of uses of the media for their own convenience in a way which does not infringe the copyright in the work.

GP: For those gamers who have been waiting to see what the ECA is all about, here’s the answer – or at least the beginning of the answer. I’m really proud to see the organization take a stand like this on behalf of game consumers, a stand that is 180 degrees from the position of the video game industry.

Full Disclosure Dept: The ECA is the parent company of GamePolitics.

~the1jeffy says:

You win :) The only reason I even tried to provide a counter-point is that this law will be attacked tooth and mail by the Big Media lobbying powerhouse, so we had better tailor our counter-points now. I will be sending faxes/emails to my Senators/Reps whenever this comes to a vote.

GryphonOsiris ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Black Ice

::::unfurls the Red Banner::::

Anyone know the words for ‘The International’?

You have eyes, yet you do not see. You have ears, yet you hear nothing. You have a head, yet it is filled with something resembling tapioca pudding. Scram junior, grown ups talking here.

Carlos Ovalle ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This is very good news. The DMCA stops legitimate uses beyond mod chips- like preservation of digital content or other activities that would likely be allowed with nondigital materials. Kudos to the ECA

@Baramos- the people who supply mod chips will also be affected, not just the people pirating games.

Baramos says:

To be fair, though, the only people who are going to be prosecuted for using mod chips are the people who use them to play AND SELL pirated games. How exactly is the government going to monitor your use of your modded PS2 to play import games? The answer is that they aren’t going to.

Inevitably, while people pirating games gives mod chips a bad name, they are also the only people who end up getting “caught” as it were (since they were the people actually doing something wrong).

I’m not saying the DMCA doesn’t need edited, it obviously does just for safety’s sake, I’m just saying in the grand scheme of things, people using their modded consoles properly never needed to be afraid.

Black Manta ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

OK, I realize I’m a little late to the party for this one, but bravo Hal!

I know this site is primarily about games and how the DMCA impacts it, but it has far-reaching effects on more than just games. Television and movies are also affected by this as well. Witness what happnened a couple weeks ago when Fox shut down fan screenings of Buffy the Vampire Slayer for example. Imagine having Paramount or Warner Bros. issuing a cease and desist to people for writing fanfics about their characters. (Then again, that may be partially a good thing considering how many bad fanfics there are out there!)

Anyway, my point is this isn’t just about games, although that’s the primary focus of discussion here. The DMCA is a bad idea all around that’s been exploited and abused by losts of media companies. And I do plan on contacting my representatives about this as soon as I can.

Nekojin ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@~the1jeffy: Actually, for most practical purposes, Amendments ARE the same as laws. The percentages needed to pass them are different, but that’s about it.

Congress cannot just up and vote to repeal a law. That’s not how the system works. Every item up for debate/vote on the floor of Congress starts as a bill, even attempts to overturn, repeal, or change existing laws.

HandofCrom ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

To counter your opposing argument, DRM and copy protection do not stop pirates. Ever. It may slow them down, but a good cracker can break any DRM in hours, and within months of a games release at most, it will be widely available through warez sites. Hell, DRM may encourage crackers just for the challenge.

The folks who made Galactic Civilizations said it best. They do not include copy protection because they are not marketing the game to pirates, they are marketing it to people who want to buy it, and they encourage legitimate purchase with easy patches, new content, and online gaming. Plus, if you lose the disk or get a new computer, you can just access your account with them and download a fresh backup. Check out Steam. It can be inconvenient, as the offline-playing is a nuisance to set up and you need a connection, but you do not need to worry about losing disks or CD-keys or turning your drive into a dongle.

Copyright owners need to go after the warez sites and the illegal distributors and not inconvenience legitimate consumers. All the copy protection and DRM encourages piracy as the purchased content may be inaccessible or attack your system (thank you Sony-BGM!).

Father Time ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

That was low man, really really low (a lot lower than he deserves)

Anyways this is surprising news to say the least. I’m glad that they are doing this but I wonder what they’re motiviation was?

ZippyDSMlee ( User Karma: -1 ) says:

Good going hal its nice o see the ECA take a stand, I hope you can take the consumer friendly movement up a few notchs its been going nowhere fast!

heres how I see it the ratio of world populace that has a PC that can download and knows how to backup discs,games what not is so low the actual numbers are 10-30% of their 1.1 losses spew, for all we know they could be tossing in user market sales to trump up the numbers as well.

I believe there are losses but tis not quite the number they parade around others.

Nekojin ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Congress can’t repeal laws directly. In order to repeal a law, they have to pass new laws that revoke the old laws, in whole or in part. The only people who can strike down laws once they’re on the books are judges, and only then for Constitutional reasons.

For proof of this, look at the 21st Amendment, the (nearly) sole purpose of which is to repeal the 18th Amendment.

~the1jeffy says:

To take an opposing view:

“Raise the Jolly-Roger me buccoes!”
    “It’s open season fer we pirates, now they will ne’er find us – hiding under the guise of decent comsumers! (Just remember to leave your parrot at home!)”

Question: Why can’t they (Congress) just repeal old laws that suck, instead passing new ones the counter-act those parts?

PHOENIXZERO ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

There’s a lot of fuzzy math when it comes to the numbers the MPAA, RIAA and ESA put out on the losses the industry has from illegal file sharing/copyright infringement and piracy. The bigger the number they can produce the better it looks for them. The actual amount of real losses is a fraction of their number. It’s very simlar to Hollywood bookkeeping practices.

Also, they’re all estimates, which is why there’s such big differences between groups. One could say they lost 10 billion and another could say they lost 10 million and come up and each make their numbers look believable since there’s no real way either can be proven or disproven, of course unless you look at the fine print on the typically higher numbers.

Terminator44 says:

Does anybody know sources for things such as the statistics of pirated DVDs/Games from different industry groups (I do remember reading them together and noticing they had huge disparities)? I could also use a link to the Xbox 1 mod which expands its media functions (Xbox Media Center, I believe). I could use that information in my letters. These things may be common knowledge to us, but I doubt most senators or representatives would know these things.

PHOENIXZERO ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Even with the copyright issue still standing, this is a great is a great start and it’s great to finally see the ECA taking action in something other than the ratings/legislation issue. I feel a lot more inclined to support them now. πŸ˜‰

E. Zachary Knight ( User Karma: 1 ) says:

@ Jadedcritic

My interpretation of the second part you quoted is that simply manufacturing, selling or possessing modchips does not automatically make you a criminal. They have to prove intent to infringe copyrights.

Right now the way that the DMCA is written is the same as making it illegal to make sell or possess locksmithing tools because car jackers and burgulers could use them to bypass locks.

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

jadedcritic ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Wow. OK – my last entry got a little cut off, but it has the important parts.

All I was saying is I don’t compliment the ECA very often, but I will now. This is the first time I’ve seen them take a public stand on something, and it’s a doozy (whistles).

jadedcritic ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Gotta say – I’m looking at the bill – As I’m sure Jack will have no trouble pointing out – I’m not a lawyer – with that out of the way, it seems to me like the money portions are:

3 504(c)(2) of title 17, United States Code, is amended by
    4 adding at the end the following: β€˜β€˜The court shall remit
    5 statutory damages for secondary infringement, except in
    6 a case in which the copyright owner sustains the burden
    7 of proving, and the court finds, that the act or acts consti8
    tuting such secondary infringement were done under cir9
    cumstances in which no reasonable person could have be10
    lieved such conduct to be lawful.’’

under circumstances in which –> “no reasonable person could have believed such conduct to be lawful”.

So all the defense needs to do in these cases is make a reasonable argument that a reasonable person might have believed it was OK?

(ooohhh, guys, the copyright police are gonna fight this tooth and nail).

Here’s the other part that kind of jumped off the page at me

15 β€˜β€˜(g) CERTAIN HARDWARE DEVICES.β€”No person
    16 shall be liable for copyright infringement based on the de17
    sign, manufacture, or distribution of a hardware device or
    18 of a component of the device if the device is capable of
    19 substantial, commercially significant noninfringing use.’’.

No person shall be liable for copyright infringement —>if the device is capable of substantial, commercially significant noninfringing use.

JQuilty ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ kurisu7885:

Just because Jack is an asshole doesn’t mean he doesn’t think DRM and criminalizing the circumvention of it is bullshit.

That said, I’m hoping for the best, but I doubt this will go anywhere. Boucher has introduced similar legislation that the ‘intellectual property’ mafias have squashed. And Hal was awesome until he started saying ‘intellectual property’. Anyone who uses that term needs to be smacked, since it’s nothing more than propaganda.

Nekojin ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I hate to be a sour note here, but I have to say: This bill is just a good start.

Don’t get me wrong – it’s a great bill, and it corrects the most egregious short-term problems with DMCA. But it still leaves the unconscionably long copyright duration issue intact.

In this era of high-power communication, copyright should be getting shorter, not longer. It’s absurd for something to be copyrighted for an author’s entire lifetime, much less the current 140 year maximum possible under DMCA. This stifles creativity through preventing derivative and imitative works – even unintentional ones.

There needs to be strict limits on duration that involve how long the copyrighted product is in active production. It is absurd to think that something that was published in 1990 and went out of publication in 1995 is still unavailable to the public domain for another 130 years, even though nobody is actively using it.

jadedcritic ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Michael Perry

Unified front. If they can both agree to support this bill, they can publicly support it together. More voices. Besides, if anyone knows any consumer rights groups that fight more DMCA battles then the EFF, I’d certainly like to hear about it. If anyone has the experience to really evaluate this bill, it’s them.

Now, I don’t know enough about political activism to really know how (if at all) the ECA and EFF could work together; but what could it hurt to give them a call?

jadedcritic ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@the thread’s optimists

For what it’s worth. I hope you guys are right. I would view ANY legislation granting/protecting additional consumer rights as at least a step in the right direction, although I still think it’s unlikely at best that it will pass.

That being said, I still would like to know where the EFF stands on it. I still think that if the ECA is interested in doing more then just publicly endorsing it and telling us to whip out our emails; they ought to give the EFF a call. ECA’s a baby on the block. EFF’s been around 17 years. Seems to me that if they want an honest shot at passing the bill they need all the help they can get. That’s not even including the fact that Bush has been a little veto-happy lately.

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

THANK YOU!!!

This part has always bugged me about the DMCA. Their excuse about encryption was that it was only to protect against illegal copying. But then they went and made any copying under fair use (say for educational purposes) illegal as well.

the bill directs the Federal Trade Commission to ensure that adequate labeling [of “Copy-Protected Compact Discs”] occurs for the benefit of consumers.

Again, WOOT! Nothing pisses me off more than getting home, unwraping the case, popping the CD into my player, and finding out that in a weak attempt to stop some guy in China, the CD won’t work. And then you get the “no returns of opened CDs” policies you then have to fight through… If I had seen a label on the outside of the case warning that it was copy-protected and wouldn’t work, I wouldn’t have bought the bloody thing in the first place…

I have doubts this will pass. Big industry already has Congress thinking that piracy is worse than murder…

Especially up here in Canada. Where they fudged some piracy numbers, and then quoted an RCMP report… that quoted those fudged numbers. They then pretended that the RCMP had come up with those ‘facts’.

GameDevMich ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@E. Zachary Knight

A deal it is. I’ll pick up a “sixer” of IBC, which is the undisputed king (hyperoble) of commercially distributed root beer (and my favorite beverage of all time).

Ghost coins ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Regardless of if the legislation will pass or not, this is a promising sign. I know that alot of consumer groups have skirted the DMCA issue (and following the RIAA cases I get to see the full brunt of how they are abused on a daily basis), so it is tremendously refreshing to see an organization stepping up to the plate and finally saying that they are endorsing a less corporate controller, more common sense environment.

As for the comments on Mr. Thompson. I am not one to burn bridges, and can suffer slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. In the digital age where the little guy has to pony up $220k to a group of Record labels for 24 songs, the little guy needs all the help they can get, be it from the ECA or an individual you normally would not give the time of day.

Zerodash ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This answers the one lingering concern I had over the ECA, and its great news. I am definitely renewing my membership now.

Once the anti-game crowd is quelled (or they die of old age), this is perhaps the biggest issue to surround videogames…or any other medium.

Chuma ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

It’s good to see someone taking a stand, but I will wait to see what effect this will have. One thing is for certain, doing nothing gets us nowhere so Hal has my full support.

(And a quick note. Jack doesn’t have to be disingenuous on everything he says just because of his views on other matters. There will always be common ground so lets give him the benefit of the doubt on this issue and oppose him where it is needed.)

GameDevMich ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Jadedcritic – Excellent rant, I enjoyed reading it.

You are definitely acknowledging the obvious. Quite a few elected officials favor the requests and rights of corporations over the common man. General laziness and self-induced defeatism of the average consumer/citizen perpetuates the cycle.

I too believe there will be a change in the future as our generation comes into power, but I believe more action is required. Yes, economic force will be a driving factor. However, this is our chance to shake the laziness from our system and get involved. Imagine this beautiful scenario (which I do not think is naive or impossible):

Actively voicing our opinions and supporting those fighting for us will garner attention and momentum. If the act is passed, those who were involved (the lobbyist and consumers) will be filled with the confidence that they were listened to and made a difference. Those people will then have the confidence to step up to the plate for other issues not involving electronic entertainment consumption.

E. Zachary Knight ( User Karma: 1 ) says:

Here is the text of the bill. It is titled the “Freedom and Innovation Revitalizing U.S. Entrepreneurship Act of 2007” for some reason, but it is all in there:

@ Jadedcritic

I understand your position. It is difficult to get people to move from positions they have become complacent in. I for one am not one of those people and I feel that activism is the proper way to go about getting change. If the only voices being heard by Congress are the voices of big business lobbiests, then the people have failed.

I am not saying that just voicing our opinions will get change rolling. Yet, if we are serious about them and speak with our votes as well, then politicians will get the idea.

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

DeusPayne ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

When we moved towards licensing instead of selling, the whole software industry got all fucked up. As consumers we lose so many of our rights to use our purchased products in a way we choose. To make something criminal just because corporations want it is NOT protecting the population. The DMCA did nothing except give corporate fat cats a way to enforce their own warped sense of property rights. Nice to finally see some work in the other direction.

(Where’s HappyPuppy to pee on the DMCA when you need them? Good times… good times)

Gameboy says:

Interesting. So the ECA does support it members/consumers.

Quick question. I’ve seen a large number of flash animations that use video game sprites. Does that violate the DMCA? If so, does the DMCRA allow a person to use them in nonprofit productions?

@ EZK

Didn’t you suggest a “law” that the first person to mention Jack in an unrelated story loses 10,000 credibility? If we apply that here, who loses it? Jack himself?

jadedcritic ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@BlackIce, Leftie

Yeah, I’m aware of Godwin, but it was bound to happen; and let’s face it, the DRM cops are about as crazy as, if not crazier then Jack Thompson – so, frankly, there’s only so many appropriate ways to describe them.

@E. Zachary Knight

I’m not convinced it’s a question of simple activism. Break it down for a moment. Congress is majority democrats, minority republican, and the way things are going with Iraq and the Bush administration’s near utter failure to work any real domestic policy – it’s a pretty good bet that the republicans are out with the next election and they probably know it anyway. At the very least, it’s an uphill campaign for them, just being republican.

But when it comes to down consumer rights issues and fair use, generation gaps are a big part of that. There’s a fundamental assumption floating around that fair use is what the seller says it is, not what the consumer says it is. Older generations are far more willing to accept that (as a rule of thumb) then younger ones. Of course, that’s a stereotype in and of itself. Frankly, my father’s well into his 60’s and he’s actually far more open source/fair use then I am. I meant it when I said congress is mostly full of stodgy conservatives (regardless of party affiliation). I read an article on Slashdot which was borderline offensive, essentially detailing that fair use isn’t a legitimate defense.

Put simply, the reason that I don’t think any amount of activism will really help at this point is because the kinds of candidates running for office that we have to choose from are all more likely to support corporate rights over consumer, BECAUSE supporting consumer rights means directly challenging laws that are already in place, and a good deal of what we as a society have come to believe in terms of ethics. It’s always easier to accept something then challenge it. Most people aren’t willing to reconsider their own morality structure. Take bittorrent as an example. Most people think it’s wrong. They think it’s wrong because they accept the idea that most torrents are of morally questionable material. There’s allot of truth to that. Torrent isn’t inherently evil by itself, but it is used quite a bit to pass along material that maybe shouldn’t be. Out of those people, less are willing to revaluate their opinions on the subject. Especially not congress, why? Because they’ve got coporate agents sitting on their collective shoulders whispering to the contrary. (Because the corporate stance is that Torrent has no legitimate purpose other then passing contraband).

I tend to think the only ways consumer rights will change much isn’t through lobbyists. Figure either time will take over, and congress members will start coming from later generations that think differently, or the consumers will align and exercise the only real option we have. Economic force. Vote with your wallets. Support those that don’t abuse consumer rights, and don’t those that do. That may bring about real change, but the public is pretty unlikely to do that to. Two reasons, 1) we’re lazy, and aren’t often willing to make personal sacrifices for causes like this, 2) we’re like congress, in the sense that huge chunks of the population believe that fair use is what the seller says it is.

OK, end rant. = ) Gotta go to work anyway.

gs2005 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Wow, it looks like I’ll be RENEWING my ECA fee when it comes due in 2008, mainly because of this stance against this bad anti-consumer law.

Thanks Hal!

kurisu7885 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@E. Zachary Knight

Awesome!!!! That means the equation possession = intent means nothing. And this is how it should be. as long as the person isn’t making any money, it should be ok.

E. Zachary Knight ( User Karma: 1 ) says:

This is a cool quote (say hello to your mod chip):

Reestablishes Betamax Standard. The DMCRA also would specify that it is not a violation of Section 1201 of the DMCA to manufacture, distribute, or make non-infringing use of a hardware or software product capable of enabling significant non-infringing use of a copyrighted work. By re-establishing the principle set forth in Sony v. Universal City Studios, 464 U.S. 417 (1984), this provision is intended to ensure that consumers will have access to hardware and software products by which to engage in the activities authorized by the legislation.

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

E. Zachary Knight ( User Karma: 1 ) says:

@ Jadedcritic

Considering we are the ones who have the power to keep the politicians in office, I think we hold much more weight than any lobbiest, but only if we stand together. If only a handful of voters write their reps, then this bill is in vain. But if a majority of their voters write in, they will know that if they go against the voice of the people, they won’t be in office for much longer.

At least that is the take I have on politics.

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

kurisu7885 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@jack thompson, attorney

Don’t even TRY to act like you’re on his side on this issue. You’ve been trying to fight against the rights of digital media consumers, so don’t even start.

Austin Lewis ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Alright, this is good to see.

Some politician standing up for the people’s rights.

To be specific, for the rights of the owners of electronics.

jadedcritic ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

While I usually applaud any stand taken against the DRM nazis, I fail to see how how supporting a bill that likely won’t pass constitutes “having our back”. Don’t mistake me, if it actually does pass I’ll be amazed, and willingly renounce my own statements and apologize for them. However, I think it’s a pretty good assumption that previously mentioned DRM cops will rally against it and congress as a rule of thumb is full of stodgy conservatives who will likely oppose it anyway.

HandofCrom ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

DRM has gone too far. The most blatant abuses have been the Sony Rootkit and the Starforce DRM, both of which attacked the users’ systems and did not stop piracy, but I’ve had problems running DVDs and some games on my old systems thanks to the copy protection, which does not let me use my legally purchased material. Glad to know we have backup.

GameDevMich ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

E. Zachary Knight beat me to the post, so I second his motion. I am writing my letters and e-mails tonight, as well as informing all of my gamer and dev friends to have them join in.

The voice of the citizen is a powerful one. I don’t know why the events in the past 30 years have resulted in Americans believing they have no power and rights in their own country, but this is a great opportunity to shatter that misconception.

Don’t let the ECA go at this alone. They are entering a battlefield claiming to represent a vast number US citizens who want this act passed. Let us show our numbers now.

DavCube ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Way to go, ECA!

@ JT

This is not ‘,’ where you’re more important than the world you’re living on. Nobody cares about you anymore. Get that through your head. You’ve drilled yourself down to the point where even Britney Spears is more interesting than you are. And that’s pretty freaking hard to do.

-Jes- ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Wacko Jacko

Oh this is much more important than your little sorry hide. This is important for just about EVERY PRIVATE COMPUTER OWNER IN THE WORLD.

Not just your sorry little egoistic hide.

As for the news itself. Finally, we’re on the right track for PROPER consumer/copyright-holder relations, instead of the “bend over will ya?” attitude most larger firms run with these days.

E. Zachary Knight ( User Karma: 1 ) says:

I am glad to see this move by the ECA. This is one of the things that seems to be holding some people back from joining and hopefully they will join now.

@ all who hope this bill passes

Write your Senators and Representatives. Send them email and real mail. You must get them to realize that you want this to go through.

If you don’t know who your reps and sens are start here:

From there you can find them and write them. I also encourage you to write the President and let him know you want this to pass.

Besides that, tell everyone you know and have them do the same. THis will only pass if the citizens voice our support.

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

jadedcritic ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Although, if I get the chance, I will try to read the actual bill today, if only out of curiousity about the actual details of what the bill does and what exactly, it defines as fair use. The other thing that occurs to me is I wonder where the EFF sits on it. I suppose it’s kind of arrogant to think anyone but Dennis can get a message through to Hal, but it seems to me if you guys really want to get serious about it, maybe the ECA should call the EFF. Seems like the two organizations could probably make a bigger impression defending the bill together. Unified front and all that.