British Parliament Calls on Game Publishers to Remove Seizure-inducing Effects

Conservative MP John Penrose has submitted a motion in Parliament that would require video game publishers to ensure that their products will not trigger photosensitive epileptic seizures among players.

As reported by the Times Online, Penrose’s action was prompted by the case of a 10-year-old boy who experienced a seizure while playing Ubisoft’s Rayman: Raving Rabbids on his Nintendo Wii system earlier this year. Of his proposal, MP Penrose commented:

We don’t allow toy-makers to sell products that could poison or injure our children. This shouldn’t be any different. We need government action, now, to change the law so no more young lives are affected by seizures triggered by electronic video games.

Dozens of MP’s signed onto Penrose’s motion and Ubisoft has agreed to screen future games for seizure-triggering graphic effects. Said Gaye Herford, the mother of the 10-year-old:

Parents should know that every time they buy their child a game, there is the potential for an epileptic fit unless we make safety-testing law…

As I held him he was rigid. His look was blank. I could see the side of his face and his left hand twitching and he told me, ‘Mummy, stop these lights and flashes please’.

Latent photosensitive epilepsy most commonly occurs in those 7-19 years of age and is triggered by flashing light patterns and intense shades of red.

Ubisoft exec Rob Cooper said that the publisher is not fighting the issue:

Our immediate response to Gaye Herford was to not just take note but to take up her case. Testing of the original Rayman Raving Rabbids Nintendo DS game showed that no images posed a high risk for photosensitivity epilepsy.

However, we took the view that different people can react in different ways and made a decision to prescreen and pretest all Ubisoft in-house developed games regardless of platform, prior to publication.

Sandra says:

How hard is it to provide an intensity setting that can be dialled up for the flash-freaks and down for sensitive people. This is software, people. To all those I-dont-give-a-damn types, how would you feel if it was your kid, or yourself. You may not know its about to happen.

Diane ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Funky J has good things to say.

I turned on my GBA, DS, and Wii yesterday. There’s a warning on the startup screen, but it only tells me to go to the internet to read…well, the warnings. Considering the comments here mentioning the epilepsy warnings on start-up screens, I’m guessing I’m not the only one who routinely ignores warning screens.

I agree it’s in a parent’s best interest to know the dangers of their kids’ toys. On the other hand, my parents never played my games and they sure as hell never read the manuals–I never read the manuals until I was nearly an adult, either, and I sure didn’t read them looking for health warnings. Good thing none of my major health complications involved epilepsy!

It always seemed to me like the seizure warnings were much less in place to protect the consumers and much more in place to protect the game company from legal issues. “We totally had a warning, why didn’t you read the small print?” Sure, companies need to do that, but considering that virtually every child plays video games, taking greater precautions doesn’t seem unreasonable to me. Especially given that there is a precedent for such precautions in other industries of the country.

perlox says:

I think a general warning and some limited screening is a reasonable amount of safety. I mean its common knowledge that games can induce seizures and I think parents should be aware that if their children are going to play games, seizures are a possibility.

Funky J ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Gary17 – Yes, they’ve had warnings, but so do television shows and movies.

However, video games do not undergo the same testing as TV and Movies before they get released to the public in the UK.

People like you cry foul when games that have the same kind of graphical violence as TV or Movies don’t get the same treatment from censors, but now that they are in fact going to get the same attention as TV and Movies, albeit in another area, you’re saying it’s immoral and wrong?

Can’t you see the hypocrisy in your (and every other GP reader’s) position?

I realise this is a small website, but if GP is going to crticise other outlets for being biased and unfair and inaccurate then they need to make sure that they aren’t doing the same thing, and important things like this aren’t left out.

After all, Kotaku included it…

The fact that information is continually left out, considering the sensationalising of issues like this time and time again, I’m going to voice my concerns for as long as they keep doing it.

Danman L7 says:

end so ends the age of visually stimulating video games! people should stop blaming other people for stupid actions that they do. take responsibility for your own actions there is a warning every time you start the game. pay attention people.

Questionmark ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Hmm, to me this just sounds like crying out for the government to take care of lazy people.

Really, it’s like banning peanuts so that the people who are allergic don’t have to bother watching out for themselves. If you’re prone to seizures, don’t play videogames.

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Just wanted to add, if her son fell over and complained of flashing lights in front of his eyes, I wouldn’t be thinking epilepsy, I’d be thinking ‘Stop leaping around the room with the damn Wii controller then’. Chances are he just made himself dizzy.

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@neoelastic man

I know that my wife’s fits certainly don’t cause any kind of flashing lights in front of her eyes, she can’t remember a thing, she says it’s like a hole in her memory.

There are several kinds of epilepsy, and, apparently, because of how it works, each person suffers a fit slightly differently, so I suppose that anything is possible, but inability to control muscles, because of the electrical activity in the brain is a recurring theme, that is basically what defines epilepsy. I don’t buy the fact the boy was able to control his jaw muscles whilst having a fit, that just doesn’t make sense, apparently he loses control of every muscle in his body except his jaw muscles, and loses every faculty except cognition, communication and self-awareness, which is more or less every faculty there is. That bit was made-up, I’m pretty much certain of that.

Falcon4196 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I doubt that GP is trying to inflame us or make the UK look bad. If you read the article they don’t give any opinion on whether they think this legislation is good or bad. As for the Ofcom regulations do you honestly think they left out this information on purpose or is it possible that maybe an American run website isn’t that well informed on the intricacies of the UK’s broadcast laws.

neoelasticman ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ GoodRobotUs

I’m not exactly the most knowledgeable on the subject myself, but I have a slight advantage because my mother runs (or ran, I dunno if it’s still running) a support website for epileptics and parents of epileptics. Also, my girlfriend is a nurse who has developed an interest in the subject (understandably, since my epilepsy affects her just for being so close to me). And, unfortunately, my brother also has epilepsy, and I was unfortunate enough to witness him having a seizure once. Understandably, a little bit of the knowledge rubs off on me.

I took another read through the infuriating quote, and I noticed something I hadn’t seen before: What the child supposedly said doesn’t make sense in any context that I’m aware of (although I may just not know about it). When I started having seizures, I didn’t know the cause right after it ended. I figured out over time what the common element was for every seizure. If this was the child’s first seizure, he’d never know to want the lights to stop. If it wasn’t, and the parent knows he’s photosensitive, then why’s she letting him use media that has a seizure warning right inside of every game and every console?

JustChris says:

“I suspect this “little” bit of information is “conveniently” left out of Game Politics reporting to inflame you on two fronts:

A) To make you think games are being unfairly treated
    B) To make the UK look inferior to the “glorious” USA

I suggest that in future you take it upon yourselves to go beyond GPs hatchet job it passes off as news stories, and actually seek the deeper truth behind these stories, or risk appearing like a “Bunch Of Morons”, a term which has been frequently ascribed to readers of GP. “

There’s no reason to believe there’s actually a grander cause for allowing such things happen. In other words, stop with the conspiracy theories. They make people think too hard.

DarkTetsuya ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I thought they were phasing out/outlawing recess anyway? … Wait no that was just all of the activities that go on during recess. (Heaven forbid that they hurt themselves (tag) or train to become the next Columbine (cops and robbers, army, etc.) right?)

That_1_Guy says:

Alright while there shouldn’t be images that induce seizures in children. The way the guy delivers this proposition makes it sound like a pandemic, to alarmist I say.

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@neoelastic man

Thanks, to be honest, it doesn’t really affect her most of the time (her first fit, ironically enough, came from watching a ZX Spectrum loading a game with it’s technicolour borders), but she does get a bee in her bonnet about people treating Epilepsy as though she caught it from watching flashing lights. I think that’s what annoyed her about the article when I showed it to her.

She fully agreed that even possible seizure inducing effects could be, if not removed, at least optional in video games, but she took offence to comparing seizure inducing effects to ‘toys that could poison or injure a child’, she is neither a child, nor was she ‘poisoned’, ‘maimed’ or otherwise ‘made to be ‘wrong” by the flashing lights, people who have been poisoned or injured should be in hospital, I think she hates the idea of being viewed in that way.

Oh, and apparently she’s never heard of people talking during seizures either, but doesn’t pretend to be an expert on the subject.

Father Time ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I am well aware that people tried to censor his books. Although they tried to get rid of them for ethics concerns not for health concerns.

Gray17 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Funky J

With or without that bit of information, the response is the same. The game industry has had warning about seizures out with its games for 20 years now. To suddenly to pressuring them over the issue is just plain stupid.

Further more, kindly take your conspiracy theory crap elsewhere. I highly doubt that Dennis has any interest in making the UK look “inferior”, or in trying to make us think that games are being treated unfairly. Assuming that he actually knew about the code for broadcasting, he likely just decided it wasn’t relevant as the MPs are comparing this to the laws for toy safety, not the laws for TV and movies. Which probably has something to do with games not being public broadcasts, but private entertainment.

Funky J ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Ofcom (the Office of Communications) have guidelines in place for television and movies which must be adhered to before something can be shown on a public screen.

Their guidelines are easily accessible online.

A) To make you think games are being unfairly treated
    B) To make the UK look inferior to the “glorious” USA

Trevor McGee says:

Highly stressful situations can triggers seizures as well, at I’ve had this happen myself. So it doesn’t even have to involve a TV, video games, or a computer. Hell, even certain high pitched sounds can do the job. I’ve never head one from a sound before, at least as far as I know. But I’ve heard of people getting them from a loud bang, like a car backfiring.

Kajex ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Nightwing

Yeah, I’m not. California is nowhere near the US, didn’t you know? -.-
    But yeah, what’s living without a little risk? I’d rather be entertained than bored.

chadachada(123) ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

ANYTHING could cause a seizure, even a slow blinking red light. Even tv causes some seizures is some people, I fail to see how this “screening” or law will help like at all, except for stuff like the Pokemon episode with Porygon….

Asmo ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Best point ever…

Let’s start with, say, peanuts. Since some children are deathly allergic to these evil little nuts, no one anywhere should be allowed to have them or use them in baking. I mean, someone might make a cookie of doom!

Living is a risk. We should stop all children from living because otherwise they might die…

Besides, the only way they test for this is to expose a person to the game to try and create seizures and not every seizure inducer will work for every person who does experience seizures… Doesn’t that, by definition, contradict workplace health and safety, willfully exposing a person to known unsafe conditions?

I feel like I’m taking crazy pills here… They are just video games. The core component which is fundamentally flawed is the human being playing them, that is where 99.99% of the problems stem.

Ben ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Father Time

It’s ironic that you quoted Mark Twain. Some of his works have fallen under the censorship hammer- such as The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, which uses the N-word more than 200 times.

Father Time ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

And I quote

‘censorhsip is like saying a man can’t eat a steak because a baby can’t chew it’ (mark twain).

I feel pity for the 10 year old kid I really do, and I don’t blame the parents entirely but I really don’t think this is a big enough problem to warrant government action. Every game I’ve ever seen (well except maybe retro games like pac-man) came with a message warning people not to let epileptic people play the game. Although who actually takes the time and reads all the warnings on products anyway. I mean sure if they can make the game safer for epileptic kids that’s great and all but they ask to make sure that all games won’t give people seizures (even to those with epilepsy) which is stupid (see above quote).

Oh and after reading the same warnings about seizures in umpteenth video games I knew someone would take issue with it eventually but I didn’t know when.

Marlowe says:

Yeah frankly I don’t see this as a big problem. It’d be perfectly acceptable for the government to step in and even test some of the games themselves if they so desire, for potential to cause seizures, I would have a problem if the government started banning games based on that, but they could require an extra little warning say “If you have certain forms of epilepsy be cautious of this game,” or “If you have certain forms of epilepsy do not play this game” depending on whether the game has a higher potential of causing seizures. This issue is very different from the game violence issue as there is no evidence for a causal relationship between media and real-world violence, the government therefore has no right to step in, in the case of a relationship between certain types light and epileptic seizures, there’s conclusive evidence for a causal relationship that can be proved experimentally and explained physiologically. As for the fact that there’s a double standard being created between TV and games, well yeah what’d you expect? Of course there is a double standard and it’s disgusting. That being said, some degree of government action in this area is by no means trampling anyone’s civil liberties, fits well within set precedent for government regulation, and could even be beneficial for general public, so frankly even if they don’t hold television to the same standard (or a higher standard if the posts about TV having an inherently higher potential to trigger seizures is true) that doesn’t mean that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t step in in this area at all. I will say more than likely this issue will be dealt with probably by the developers themselves, as they already have with the multitude of warnings, and government action will probably be unnecessary, however if the government does regulate video games I’d rather it be for this reason and in this manner than the bogus reasons of protecting the public good from media violence.

Diane ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

P.S. — Did I miss something about the epilepsy warnings? I see that the mother said “Parents should know that every time they buy their child a game, there is the potential for an epileptic fit.” I don’t see why this comment garners so much negativity. It seems to be, essentially, the warning from the manuals–“You should know that you or anyone else playing a video game may have a seizure.” I never found the warning particularly offensive–a little repetitious, maybe. Maybe there’s another article, somewhere, with an expanded interview or quotes where she is accusing or blaming someone for the lack of the warning or something.

All I see here is a heads up to other parents.

Diane ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

So I read the article there, I read the article here, and now I’m reading over the comments here. I’m confused. Let me see if I understand this right:

This takes place in Britain where a kid suffers a seizure while playing an Ubisoft game. Some politician jumps forward to show how awesome he is, proposing that video games be tested more stringently so as to be safer*. Other politicians get on board to show they’re awesome, too. Ubisoft, deciding this bandwagon is totally cool (maybe even awesome), comes along for the ride.

I fail to see how this is a bad thing.

Now, I see the spin and I see what Penrose did there. I also see–read, rather, in the comments here–that apparently the stated goal* is impossible to reach. On the other hand, I don’t see where this negatively effects gaming and gamers. I don’t see the censorship and I don’t see Ubisoft getting sued. Jack Thompson is nowhere to be found, and besides, we still have him on our side of the pond. I do see a little industry-blaming, sure–mostly from Our Penrose. I guess I see a potential increase in the time of production and cost of games, as I assume more testing will cost both time and money.

On the other hand, politicians aren’t the only ones who get to posture here. Game companies have the chance to do some PR work here, get some positive publicity. Cuz, you know. We all care about the childruns.

Then there’s the sliver of potential to actually, y’know, make games safer–I know, I know. It’s totally impossible. You folks know better than I, and anyway I’m a frightful optimist. But people have been making the impossible possible for some time now and I don’t expect them to stop.

neoelasticman ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

My sympathy goes out to you and your wife, I understand her irritation with people who do not understand epilepsy. I’m also glad she found somebody who does not fit into that group of people.

That may be possible that she panicked and it was an absence seizure as opposed to a grand mal (those are the names of those types), but the way it was written I was led to believe it was a grand mal. You see, I had absence seizures long before my first grand mal and my parents never noticed… to them, it just looked like I wasn’t paying attention. Not that they weren’t concerned, but they didn’t go “Oh no! Seizure!” until the stereotypical seizure happened. With Grand mals, by the time you can speak AND are coherent, your twitching is long gone. Hence, I don’t think it’s just a worried mother panicking.

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I agree, if nothing else, there should be an option in the configuration menu to turn off flashing light effects or something of that ilk.

Sam says:

While I am usually against the censorship of games in any way, I wouldn’t be that rattled if there was a cut-down on the amount of annoying flashing lights in games. Not only are flashy lights not adding that much depth to gaming, it pissed me off when I need to turn away from a cut scene just to avoid spasms.

arowe87 says:

I’m sure if people got home and read about the seizure warnings the game publisher would gladly give them a refund.

Or people could realize all games have the warning and have for a while (hence my PS1 example), and be cautious to begin with. Ignorance of warnings is not an excuse to blame what caused the seizure.

PlayItBogart says:

But seizure-inducing effects are a longstanding video game tradition! Just look at old NES games like Zelda II and Rambo. Every time you died, the game punished you with a seizure. What better motivator is there to excel at gaming than that?

Matthew ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Whoops. “Parents should know that every time they buy their child a game, there is the potential for an epileptic fit.” First page of the manual, sometimes a splash screen when you turn the game on, common knowledge that strobing lights can induce a fit.

Now we have a problem. If she knew her kid was prone to photosensitive epilepsy, she should have been monitoring his Wii usage. If she didn’t know, then no amount of warning would have helped.

It’d be like suing KP if their nuts sent someone into anaphylactic shock. They’re nuts and it says “caution: nuts” on the bag, but you didn’t know you were allergic to them. Are KP at fault for not warning you enough?

Skyler ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I have lost count how many times I was warned about epileptic seizures. Warnings are on every time I start up a game, on the manuals of every game, and on the manuals of the game consoles. The kid’s been warned.

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

My wife has asked me to make a statement on her behalf.

‘I suffer from epilepsy, that’s an illness I have, I was not ‘given’ epilepsy by the movies I watched, it is simply my bodies reaction to stimuli. Please don’t make out the epilepsy sufferers somehow bought it on themselves by consuming the media. We were not ‘poisoned’.’

FlyinM_X ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I have had a seizure before, while playing video games too!

I have had 2 playing FF10
    1 playing FF7
    1 playing Mario Kart Double Dash with my friend
    and 1 playing Warcraft 3

A few others but I can’t remember what I was playing.

I agree they aren’t fun to have, but I don’t blame the video games. I don’t because it was about 12 years between my first game and my first seizure. I believe that it is a result of the drug zoloft which I had to start taking shortly before the first.

My ramblings aside its best to see if medical treatments are available. I am on medication right now which has been largely successful. I’ve only had one the past 2 years, and it was in my sleep. The cause has to be determined first before pinning the responsibility on something as well. It’s a very simple and painless procedure.

@jabrwock It sounds like what you’re friend has would be called petit-mal seizures. Grand-mal are the ones which result in the violent spasms. I tell ya they suck.

@neoelasticman My friend told me that I said something right before my MK:DD seizure that I don’t remember saying, so there might be a bit of merit to what she is saying. I’m not saying she is 100% right, though.

They give proper warning, but I suppose maybe an anti-flicker option would help. Turn off the flashes, maybe fewer incidents will occur.

Gray17 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Trevor McGee

At a quick check of a couple manuals, yes they are, though the only thing they add is to take a 15 minute break per hour of play.

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

My wife suffers from epilepsy. She’s suffered more from movies like ‘Blade’ etc than from any video game (it’s mostly muzzle flashes that set her off in movies).

As a question to the MP, why does no-one notice that the Emergency service ‘Blues and Twos’ are a big risk as well? Not to mention energy-saving light bulbs?'can+trigger+epilepsy'/

Maybe before he starts making accusations that ‘other people don’t do it’ he should do a little more research.

I’m not against the idea of protection against fits, but talk about ignoring the issue outside your own personal scope….

Trowa says:

I wonder did the British government demand that the makers of the Pokemon show get rid of all seizure inducing effects out of their show. Or how about making this easier and say any TV or movie? Most likely this is just another case of video game bigotry again since someone needs to fill Jack Thompson shoes.

DoggySpew ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Seriously, I’ve never EVER heard someone with epilepsy getting a seizure over a videogame, or any other thing.

Those seizures are so random, that ANYTHING and simultaniously NOTHING can set it off.

DavCube ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

While this IS a better issue than violence… it’s one that’s addressed numerous times before a game is even put in the disc slot.

Multiple times in the manuals, right when the systems turn on, sometimes on a screen before the intro sequence OF the game, etc… it’s only an issue if you either don’t give a crap or you’re illiterate.

Werrick ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

ACtually, I agree with this… but only as long as they apply the same thing to cartoons and movies, ’cause quite frankly I see a lot of that kind of thing in those mediums as well.

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I have seizures. And ya know what? You don’t TALK when you’re seizing.

Might have been post seizure. My buddy has frequent and short seizures, most lasting just long enough for you to think he spaced out, and then he’s back, with a headache, looking like he’d just seen a ghost. No spasms beyond a twitch, sometimes he’ll just sit there for 30 seconds, not moving. Very rarely does he do the stereotypical “spasm and flop about”…

She might have been blurring the event, thinking he was talking during, instead of immediately after…

Freaked out parent who has never seen her child seizure before? I can see her getting confused.

But safety testing is pointless. Photosensitive epileptics can be set off by stuff like venetian blinds, rotating fans, or flashing xmas lights. As others said, better she found out now her kid was epileptic, rather than when he’s riding his bike down a busy street or something.

neoelasticman ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

hmm… ya know what? I’m an epileptic. I have seizures. And ya know what? You don’t TALK when you’re seizing. Matter of a fact, you aren’t really even “there” when you seize. This woman is clearly either lying entirely or at least turning it into a sob story for her own profit. Nobody on the face of the earth has ever said anything coherent during seizure, or even formed any actual words. This blatant disrespect for epileptics on the part of this woman is very annoying. If she can’t take seizures seriously or at least do some research, I can’t respect her.

And really, seizures are only as harmful as the environment you seize in. In and of themselves, they’re harmless. Just turn the person on his side and let him take his course. NEVER EVER STICK ANYTHING IN HIS MOUTH!! That’s not really much to do with this story, but nobody really knows how to deal with a seizure, so I’m just informing people. The more people know, the more likely somebody having a seizure will suffer minimum damage (a bit tongue at worst when all goes well).

Bones says:

Yes arowe87 i’m sure the shop would allow parents to open up the games and read the manual, and there is no warnings on the box in all the Wii games i own.

hmmm...... says:

the warning is on the system and on the back of the game the problem here is with the parenting cause if you let your kids play for that long you are most deffinatly not paying attention to your kids

mummy please read the lables clearly stated on the Wii and on the game container and be a real parent apposed to ‘Mummy, stop these lights and flashes please’

Trevor McGee says:

You know what? Fuck these people. I’m sorry about the foul language, but they need to just shut the hell up. I have epilepsy, I suffer from seizures, though on the bright side I am a really talented break dancer. He’s how you avoid having a seizure when playing video games.

1.) Don’t play if you’re extremely tired.
    2.) Play in a well lit room.
    3.) Do not sit too close to the TV.
    4.) A smaller TV set is best.

Anyway, I could keep going on. These are just common sense things to do if you want to avoid possibly having a seizure while playing video games. But then again even if they weren’t common sense, I’m pretty sure these examples I’ve written out are in the manual and probably even more to add to that.

By the way, you can have an epileptic seizure while watching TV and using the computer. I know because I’ve had a few while doing so. Why aren’t these dicks telling TV show and such to remove the possibly of causing seizures? Well, honestly, I don’t know why. I mean it’s impossible to do it for video games because even slight thing could set a seizure off in a person, therefore it is ridiculous and idiotic to ask the gaming industry to “remove” these factor. So I’m surprised they aren’t stupid enough to asked programmers of TV shows to do the same.

Hey, people’s shoe laces can come undone and cause them to trip and injure themselves. Let ask shoe companies to remove all laces to their shoes while we’re at it to.

Pandralisk says:

Why is this garbage always done for the damn children? To hell with the damn children. I’d agree with the parliment if they voiced this concern for the sake of GAMERS with epileptic seizures. I’m so tired of these moronic, outdated, and conservatively oppresive morons in the UK political system not understanding:

Gameboy says:

Whatever happened to personal responsibility? I’m not saying the mother or the child caused the seizure, but Ubisoft is not responsible in my book. For two reasons. One, just about anything can trigger an epileptic seizure. Two, there have been warnings printed in game manuals for years. If she wasn’t aware of this, it’s her failing.

Has she even asked a doctor about video games and her child’s condition? I know I’m asking for a lot there…

Colonel Finn says:

This surprises me not a jot. The public, along with the media and most politicians have the collective memory of a Goldfish.
    The last big Epilepsy scare was about 15 years ago. And it was all you heard about for months. Then they put warnings on the manuals of games; those warnings are still being printed to this day.
    The problem is that as soon as some mentally deficit, WKD drinking, teenage single mother doesn’t bother reading it and then her child has a seizure, she runs to the paper and blames the industry, getting paid some money for her story nodoubt.
    money used to fuel her habit for lambert & butler and Sex & the City box sets.
    I’m a right cynic me.

Robb ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

MP John Pemrose’s stance on this is nothing short of superstitious. It is based on minimal information and a total lack of understanding the statistics. Okay, here’s the deal: if you are prone to photo-sensitive epilepsy, you adjust your life by removing the triggers as much as possible. If you are unaware of the condition, there is absolutely no reason to avoid any sort of possible triggers. You can only be diagnosed epileptic by inducing a seizure to prove it. In those rare cases on undiagnosed epilepsy, it only benefits you to find out, because it’s very likely it will be an uncontrolled enivronment when it is first uncovered. Let me see, living room versus night driving? I’ll take the living room, please.

Pemrose is trying to scare us for no good reason!

Tempest says:

“Isn’t it kinda odd that a kid with PES was playing a game that is clearly gonna be doing stuff with flashing lights and strobes considering “Raving”, a word referring to raves that generally are crazy s***, is in the freakin title?”

That’s the part that absolutely floors me. The kids playing one of the most dangerous (from a PES standpoint) games and him mom wants to pass the buck to the game makers rather than herself and now she’s got politicians backing her…. color me not too terribly sympathetic.

Geekwad says:

I might not understand the science, I don’t really know anything about how serious this problem is, but by God, I’m getting seen on TV protecting children from video games.

Gray17 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

So, I take it these MPs are unaware of A) the warnings that have come with games and consoles since the Nintendo era about seizures, and B) the difficulty of prescreening for such things that lead to the warnings?

I mean it’s not like game developers want it to happen, sending your customers into seizures is bad for business.

sheppy says:

Wow, another alarmist movement from the UK. What is happening over there, guys? First Gran Turismo was responsible for reckless driving in teenage male demographics, then Manhunt, now this?

You know, if I ever go to parlament and find a single flourescent light bulb in use there, I reserve the right to pulp it and feed it to this jackoff. Games be evil for epilepsy my ass. It’s actually safer than your light bulbs. Unless it’s Gungrave… then yeah, it’s a hazard.

Skylar ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

People are stupid. This gets proven everyday when crap like this pops up.

Tomorrow’s headline: “Household cleaners are fatal if swallowed. Despite warning on bottles, stupid parents demand that all household cleaners be safe to drink, and that they taste like milkshakes.”

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

However, we took the view that different people can react in different ways

Which is why this is pointless. Because no matter how many “cues” you remove, there will always be a segment of the population who is affected by *something* on screen.

Spyrle ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I don’t know what to be more shocked at. The fact that no-one from the industry has stood up and said that we’ve had epilepsy warnings in game manuals already, or the fact that so many MP’s are backing this!

nightwng2000 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“Does this mean we should start banning food from schools because it could potentially make kids fat? Or swings from schoolyards because some kid could do that “see how far you can jump from it” game and break their leg? Make sports bad because some kid could potentially become injured?”

You’re not from the US, are you? :)

NW2K Software

Paul Kerton ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Antoher ridiculous stance.
    Every console and game in this country has a warning on the manual and the box that clearly states photo sensitivity. TVs can have this effect in general, its not just games.

Bloodharp ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Scottland89

Very true, they should be going after the TV more, but the thing about that is that they have the POWER. They can put out any crap they want, as long as they bleep or blur a few choice items, and it dont matter what people think, since theyll just change the channel and find something else. The TV has much, much more power than video games, a media form that constantly stops or rewrites production the moment signs of AO appear. Also, people dont just “change the channel” with video games and ignore whats going on in that other game, like they can with TV, so they decide to take action in a case that doesnt happen often, since its harder to ignore something that’s so weak to outside pressure. Worst part is that this is going to set precedent. Although im for checking to make sure games are safe for usage, isnt it kinda odd that a kid with PES was playing a game that is clearly gonna be doing stuff with flashing lights and strobes considering “Raving”, a word referring to raves that generally are crazy s***, is in the freakin title? So, i guess its a lil’ bit the parents and producers fault, but just because you make a gun, are you responsible for its usage in murder? (I like that metaphor)

Kajex ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Mark my words- political correctness and frivolous lawsuits will be the death of our world. When you can’t even crack a joke without some dude getting offended, you know people are getting far too anal.

Neeneko says:

I will take MPs like this seriously when they are also willing to ban all the OTHER things that can hurt a small percentage of children.

nightwng2000 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Um… isn’t this a problem for ANY video situation? TV shows and movies aren’t required to “protect the children” from being visually affected? Is there someone evaluating EVERY TV show and EVERY movie to make certain of this or is he just another (mis)user of families and communities to push his agenda?

After all, Ken points out that there are warning notices already displayed.

Does that Parent just blindly let their child watch anything and everything then just blame the maker of the product when they’ve ignored the warnings?

Politician: “Gun makers should adapt guns so they don’t fire bullets because warnings were not appropriately displayed when little Goomba stuck their finger in the barrel and pulled the trigger. ‘Mummy, make the stinging feeling in my middle finger stop!’ Mummy didn’t know things could come out at high speed and injure her little Goomba. Manufacturers need to fix that problem NOW!”

No, I’m not making fun of the kid in the story. I’m making fun of the politician and the Mum who apparently didn’t know that the flashing lights could just as easily happen in a video game as it could in watching a TV show or Movie on the TV. :/

NW2K Software

arowe87 says:

I just opened the manual to GTA for the PS1, and guess what I found? A warning that says a small percentage of people may experience epileptic seizures when exposed to certain light patterns or flashing lights. I guess that warning isn’t enough for some people.

What will the criteria be for what causes an epileptic seizure. Will they randomly test people and see if anyone has a seizure while the game is going? If so, isn’t that causing unnecessary harm? What percentage of people have to have a seizure to the game before its considered dangerous? Just one out of a million or a larger percentage? Questions like this need to be answered, because it can quickly go into the realm that every game is too dangerous because of epileptic seizures.

Acebuckeye13 says:

This dosen’t need to be regulated. The game companies should already be trying to steer away from these sort of effects, as it’s a lawsuit waiting to happen, regardless of warnings on the box. Pokemon banned the episode that caused seizures because they knew they would get sued. (In fact, I think they did.)

Scottland89 says:

Firstly A)Don’t all games offer atleast 1 bit of warning (every mannual I’ve read has it on it’s front page) and B) What about TV shows? Arn’t they more dangerous in inducing fits?

Taken from the wiki article above:
    TV Section
    “Television has traditionally been the most common source of seizures in PSE”

Games article
    “While computer displays in general present very little risk of producing seizures in PSE patients (much less risk than that presented by television sets)……”

so wouldn’t it be smart to help reduce cases from the most common source, then go for the rarer cases.

Ken ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

You know what’s funny about this? There was a warning right when you turn on the Wii about the possibility of flashing lights and crap. Just another excuse to hide bad parenting if you ask me.