No War Today for 101st Airborne; Soldiers Play Halo Instead

December 25, 2007 -
From a wire service report in the Melbourne Herald Sun:
At Patrol Base Warrior Keep in Baghdad, all wished they were home. However at least there weren't any patrols outside the base for the 101st Airborne Division.

Lt-Col R.J. Lillibridge didn't want to risk having to deliver bad news to families on the holiday.

So instead of patrolling, the soldiers stayed on base, playing Halo video game tournaments, waiting in lines for phones and computers to contact home and sleeping in after breakfast or even lunch...
Posted in

Comments

yeah we can play halo out here but cant find anyone with a damn copy of COD4 to link up systems with...

Neat. Have fun blasting the Covenant guys and have a safe and Merry Christmas! Everyone here on the board and blog too. :)

Best wishes to everyone over there, stay safe and enjoy the day off!

Poor bastards.. Playing Halo.. =D

Did Fun For Our Troops have a hand in this, or does the article not specify?

Lucky them! Merry Christmas!

Looks like Johnny Bruce Thompson didn't steal Christmas this year!

But his heart still stayed 3 sizes too small.

I hope they remember how the Tet offensive worked out. Festivals and celebrations are no excuse for not keeping up the pressure on the opponents.

@Dan:

lol callous?

Well Tet was the other guys' holiday. This holiday is the day when we're the ones who break the traditional peace and go out and slaughter us some drunk Hessian mercenaries.

I support any break our Armed Forces can get. It is the only thing they have to look forward to other than extended tours. I hope they all come home so they can game all year around.

As I was told by a member of the Army, if you really want to help our soldiers, VOTE!

Matthew Wilsonmetaphorically speaking of course04/17/2015 - 9:40pm