No War Today for 101st Airborne; Soldiers Play Halo Instead

December 25, 2007 -
From a wire service report in the Melbourne Herald Sun:
At Patrol Base Warrior Keep in Baghdad, all wished they were home. However at least there weren't any patrols outside the base for the 101st Airborne Division.

Lt-Col R.J. Lillibridge didn't want to risk having to deliver bad news to families on the holiday.

So instead of patrolling, the soldiers stayed on base, playing Halo video game tournaments, waiting in lines for phones and computers to contact home and sleeping in after breakfast or even lunch...
Posted in

Comments

yeah we can play halo out here but cant find anyone with a damn copy of COD4 to link up systems with...

Neat. Have fun blasting the Covenant guys and have a safe and Merry Christmas! Everyone here on the board and blog too. :)

Best wishes to everyone over there, stay safe and enjoy the day off!

Poor bastards.. Playing Halo.. =D

Did Fun For Our Troops have a hand in this, or does the article not specify?

Lucky them! Merry Christmas!

Looks like Johnny Bruce Thompson didn't steal Christmas this year!

But his heart still stayed 3 sizes too small.

I hope they remember how the Tet offensive worked out. Festivals and celebrations are no excuse for not keeping up the pressure on the opponents.

@Dan:

lol callous?

Well Tet was the other guys' holiday. This holiday is the day when we're the ones who break the traditional peace and go out and slaughter us some drunk Hessian mercenaries.

I support any break our Armed Forces can get. It is the only thing they have to look forward to other than extended tours. I hope they all come home so they can game all year around.

As I was told by a member of the Army, if you really want to help our soldiers, VOTE!

Poll

Have you visited a video game arcade in the last year?:

james_fudgeThere aren't many left in America08/21/2014 - 1:50am
MechaTama31I sure have. Dorky's barcade in Tacoma, WA.08/20/2014 - 5:56pm
Matthew WilsonI have not been to a arcade in years. I know arcades are still big in japan.08/20/2014 - 5:38pm
Sleaker@AE - Ah no it's called GroundKontrol - I was just referring to it as a Bar-Arcade.08/20/2014 - 4:39pm
Andrew EisenStill looking for confirmation that High Moon Studios (dev behind the PS3/360 versions) isn't working on it.08/20/2014 - 4:38pm
ZenGotcha.08/20/2014 - 4:37pm
Andrew EisenI already updated the story with it!08/20/2014 - 4:36pm
Zenhttp://www.gonintendo.com/s/235574-treyarch-isn-t-working-call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-for-wii-u-either08/20/2014 - 4:36pm
ZenLet me send the link for the Tweet as well...they state Treyarch is not working on it. Grabbing it now.08/20/2014 - 4:34pm
Andrew EisenWhere does it say that "NO dev is working on it"?08/20/2014 - 4:33pm
ZenHere's the link for my last comment: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/20/call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-not-coming-to-wii-u08/20/2014 - 4:24pm
ZenWell, Call of Duty is skipping Wii U completely it seems...they updated that NO dev is working on it. Great way to just skip a market.08/20/2014 - 4:24pm
Andrew EisenYeah, Dave and Busters back in 2011 was the last time for me.08/20/2014 - 4:16pm
ZenWell, I tried lol. We just got a Dave and Busters on the beach but haven't been there yet...may go this weekend.08/20/2014 - 3:52pm
Andrew EisenIt's called The Bar-Arcade? Missed opportunity. I would have gone with Barcade.08/20/2014 - 3:25pm
SleakerThe Bar-Arcade however did have a lot of good pinball machines, they were however always taken as the place was packed..08/20/2014 - 1:17pm
Sleakerso I've been to an Arcade-Bar, not that great of a place has some okay machines, but generally over-packed. And then all the kid-friendly ones have is ticket-games nothing actually good unfortunately :(08/20/2014 - 1:14pm
Andrew EisenIf it has an area dedicated to arcade machines, I'd say it counts. Arcade machine in your house though, nope.08/20/2014 - 12:16pm
ZenDoes it count if you have actual arcade machines in your house?08/20/2014 - 12:01pm
E. Zachary KnightWith the current poll, I guess it all depends on how one defines "arcade". If Chuck E Cheese or similar multipurpose businesses count, then that is a yes for me.08/20/2014 - 11:59am