Another Gamer Lost in Iraq

December 27, 2007 -
….another in an occasional series of reports about gamers who gave their all:

The Californian reports that Army private George Howell, 24, died last week in Iraq when an IED detonated beneath the truck he was riding in. From the newspaper account:
[George's sister] Chardell, 33, remembered her brother for his sense of humor, thoughtfulness and love for his family. An outgoing person, George loved playing football and video games, she said...

“Georgie could not find [a job]… so he went into the service,” Doyle Howell said.  “...he was a special kid … I just wish things could have turned out different.”

Also lost: New Hampshire gamer Justin McDaniel, 19, who died in Baghdad.

Comments

@GO

If we're playing by those rules, The guys and girls from Stalingrad get the medals.

And, uh.. It was the 101st at Bastogne..

You are correct, the 82nd was in the Battle of the Bulge, but not at Bastogne. Need to watch that movie again.

@GO

Ooh, War Movie?

Nah, Battleground, 1949.

Pfft.

@ GO

Take heart that destijlcat is by far the minority.

I come from a family who has members in almost all the branches of the armed forces. I will simply leave this at I have a medical condition that makes it so I cannot enlist and honestly I wouldn't. I don't feel I have what it takes to fill those shoes and face the peril that soldiers are facing daily in a war zone.

What you've said here means a lot to this online GP community. Thank you for sharing your personal experiences. It means a lot to me and I'm sure it means a lot to many others here, posters and lurkers alike.

Yes, it does.

My condolences.

@ destijlcat: How old are you?

R.I.P George Howell.

My condolences go to his friends and family.

james_fudgeSadly, no.09/16/2014 - 11:17am
Andrew EisenThat's a satire site, like the Onion, right? Please? Please tell me that's a satire site?09/16/2014 - 11:10am
james_fudgehis readers are.09/16/2014 - 10:36am
IanCWikileaks will jump on any agenda for publicity.09/16/2014 - 10:22am
NeenekoWow. This is the first I have heard of the guy. What a jerk.09/16/2014 - 10:14am
quiknkoldmaskedpixelante : Milo Yiannopolous isnt really old.09/16/2014 - 9:57am
MaskedPixelanteBreitbart in a nutshell: Racist old white men saying stupid things.09/16/2014 - 9:54am
james_fudgequiknkold, that's bile. Read the comments and you'll get a taste of that site's audience.09/16/2014 - 9:17am
ZippyDSMleeSo gamer gate will be know as the time all the 13 year old sexist racists assholes came out of the wood work and attacked anything with more brains than themsevles. 0_o09/16/2014 - 9:09am
E. Zachary KnightAwwwww. I feel so special. I have someone on Twitter shaming me for being anti-gamergate.09/16/2014 - 9:06am
quiknkoldhttp://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2014/09/15/the-gamergate-movement-is-making-terrific-progress-don-t-stop-now09/16/2014 - 8:54am
james_fudgeme either.09/16/2014 - 8:54am
E. Zachary KnightI understand what Wikileaks twitter was getting at, but I have no clue what that article was getting at.09/16/2014 - 8:45am
Michael Chandra"You know how game journalists are a corrupt bunch that do shady dealings? Well so are the politicians at the NATO!" #clickbait09/16/2014 - 8:22am
james_fudgeit's simply a case of an org trying to latch onto a hashtag without knowing what it is about.09/16/2014 - 8:07am
E. Zachary KnightOk. I admit it. I have absolutely no clue what that article was trying to say. Can you explain it to me?09/16/2014 - 8:04am
Michael ChandraWhy am I not surprised seeing that coming from a man who allegedly didn't respect women's wishes regarding condom use?09/16/2014 - 8:01am
Michael Chandrahttp://www.newstatesman.com/media-mole/2014/09/wikileaks-wades-gamergate-says-nato-corrupt-video-games-journalism09/16/2014 - 8:00am
E. Zachary KnightGot a link?09/16/2014 - 7:58am