World of Warcraft Gamers Plan Avatar March for Ron Paul

Republican presidential hopeful Ron Paul’s rampant Internet popularity is about to take an amusing new shape.

WoW Insider reports that a World of Warcraft guild will march from the Alliance cities of Ironforge to Stormwind (GP: that’s a helluva long walk!) on New Year’s Day in support of Paul’s candidacy. From the WoW Insider story:

Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul’s internet regiment has come to World of Warcraft – a group of his supporters are planning to form a guild on Whisperwind and do a march from IF to Stormwind (which means they’ll probably be Gnomes or Dwarves, which is too bad, because I liked the idea of "Trolls for Ron Paul") on New Year’s Day at 8:30pm EST.

The Ironforge to Stormwind route was probably selected because those cities are close to starter locations. That gives Ron Paul supporters who may not have a character on the Whisperwind server the opportunity to quickly create one and jump right into the march without the need to spend time leveling up.

The question now becomes: will Horde players mount a raid in an attempt to disrupt the march?

GP: Actually, no. I just took a quick look and found that Whisperwind is not a PvP server.

jkdjr25, formerly bayushisan ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The problem that you’re facing here is that a lot of us are basing our opinions of Ron Paul on what HE has said and nothing else. Do you honestly expect us to dig beyond the things he’s said in interviews and other television and radio appearences?

We don’t need to dismantle social security, medicaid OR medicare. What we need to do is find a better way to fund them. Here’s the dirty little question I’ve never heard him answer. What happens to the people who need those programs to survive? What happens to the people who depend on medicaid and medicare to pay for their medical bills because they can’t afford anything else? Should those people just die off so we don’t have to worry about them anymore?

Those are questions that people with Ron Paul’s positions never seem to want to answer. Oh they’ll play the Washington two-step around the question but I’ve never seen anyone answer with any degree of honesty.

chris says:

jkdjr25 and others

If you look at the issues.. the reason he wants to dismantle SS and medicare/medicaid is because we cant afford them. By 2030 or so they will consume >100% of the federal budget. Figure out how to pay for it (and defense, other programs, etc..)and you will be a savior. He wants to quit spending money overseas to fund these programs until the current Americans dependant on them no longer need them (i.e., die) and start new programs for younger americans to support themselves.

The deeper message that so many discount without digging for (you know who you are…same people that trash movies without seeing them…etc…), is that the lack of jobs and problems in America result from poor economic policy…fighting inflation with inflation created by the Federal Reserve & spending huge chunks overseas (subsidizing dictators & bombing governments we do not approve of).

Check the dollar vs. the Canadian dollar, Euro, or peso…it is getting killed lately. Dig for the reasons for this and find another candidate to support that addresses these things…I cannot find another…therefore I support Ron Paul.

2 years ago (such a short time) my dollar was worth 1.45 canadian…I went in July and it was EVEN. Are you surprised it takes more dollars to buy gas & food when the dollar is worth less each month. Consider these things before trashing him is all I ask.

BmK ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I used to like Ron Paul before i heard he doesn’t believe the Bill of Rights applies to the States. If he had his way, states could pass all the anti-free speech legislation they wanted as well as bring back Hanging, Drawing and Quartering, Impalement or Burning at the Stake as Capital Punishment because the First and Eighth amendments no longer apply to the States. There are alot of things that i like about this guy, but that i find unforgivable.

Monkey Face ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

what! its not a pvp server what blasphemy is this?
    Its not fun unless your constantly fearing attack from the horde aka i wanted to be an ass and mess things up, hey uh guys can i interest you in switching the event to the emerald dream server?
    (wooo horde)

jkdjr25, formerly bayushisan ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

My opinion of Ron Paul comes from me listenin to the content of what he says he believes. I’ve seen interviews with him and I didn’t like what I heard.

One of the foundational principles of government is that goverment should do for the people, what the people cannot do for themselves. I find his desire to dismantle programes like medicaid to be repugnant. I’m one of the people in the U.S. that can’t afford health care and I can’t find work, I need programs like medicaid to help me pay for a hospital bill I picked up back in April of ’07. Neither I, or my family has $25,000+ to pay it. There are thousands of people like that in the U.S. and something needs to be done to help those people.

Ron Paul, seemingly, doesn’t think we should get that help from the government, that the individual states should handle it or that we should just deal with it ourselves. I don’t agree with that mentality. The people who need the help should be able to get it, those who abuse the system are another matter entirely.

DaneKirk says:

Wow, many people posting on this story have NO IDEA what Ron Paul stands for. All I know is that he is for getting rid of as many taxes as possible because many are unconstitutional(income tax), so then people can keep that money to spend how they see fit instead of the government wasting it. His knowledge of economics is like none I have ever seen as well, I am for Ron because his record is spotless when it comes to balancing the budget, restoring the value of our dollar, and cutting spending, how can anyone be against that? And when it comes to Social Security, it is a lie that he wants to dismantle it, he has always stated that he will take care of the people who rely on it now but he will give young people like me the option of getting out because there is a good chance there will be no money left over by the time I would be getting it because of the baby boomers retiring and the fact that when Congress can’t pay for some things they take the money out of Social Security, or print the money(which devalues our currency), or borrows the money from China, Saudi Arabia and others (which gives unfriendly countries economic leverage upon us).

Most conservatives don’t like welfare because all it does is make you dependent on the government which in turn gives government more control over your life, same argument can be made with the socialist “Universal Healthcare” crap. And when it comes to being a “racist,” It would make more sense to say that people who vote for Democrats are the racist ones because they support candidates that advocate racist policies(affirmative action etc), not to mention I saw a woman on the news yesterday that was for Edwards that said she felt sad that she was voting for a “white male,” they make race and issue, Ron Paul does not at all, he believe what the Constitution says “we are all created equal.” So basically many of you need to do your homework and know how government works and what a candidate stands for before you go off saying he is a racist and against poor people.

The Economist ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Get Informed

Some of us have done research on him, and it seems that both detractors and believers are ill informed on him. And Paul himself isn’t helping either. I honestly do not know if the man wants a digital gold currency, wants to abolish the Fed, wants the gold standard, or all three. I can’t tell if he’s for or against state rights, since he supported DOMA and is against Roe V. Wade. The only resounding clear message I have is that he’s against the war and for the Constitution. And, you have to agree, that quite a lot of his supporters rally to him because of this motto.

Dishan says:

I play WoW to escape the real world. Not to have @sshats come on and be a pain to my latency! I swear if I find a bunch of level 1’s running around, I am ticketing all of you for disturbing game play. Find another server, you want a war pick a pvp server, or better yet, just go play on a private server to do this mess on.

evilmonkey says:

@ wow players
    Please try to see how many hordies you can cram in front of IF. Even if you cant provoke the supporters and crash the server that way, you’ll provoke the pvp nuts in IF who’ll gladly try to kill you for no reason. Enough combat goes on in front of IF, and the dwarves ultimate defense, the server crash, will come in and stop the Ron Paul march dead in it’s tracks, and we can all get back to playing WoW like it was meant to be played. Non political and non RL.

@ everyone else
    Please dont try to convince me that Republicans are the solution to our domestic crisis. and dont say democrats are a solution. I think that the only way to fix our welfare isn’t to take it away, but to restart the whole thing like it was before. I have lived on welfare for the past year, and when everyone else tells me that if i work hard enough, i can get ahead, i know it’s not true. Our system is so screwed up that i can lose most of my benifits if i get a job that pays more than 12 dollars an hour. I have done the math, and it actually gets you MORE money right now if i didn’t work. So essentially, i get punished for working, and get rewarded for being lazy. That seems so wrong to me, and i dont see any canidate who could actually reform the system like it should be. Right now, i think that only Truman, who instigated these programs, is the only member of a major party that could fix this system.

Vote for a gamer, right now they seem like the only people who know what to do,

E. Zachary Knight ( User Karma: 1 ) says:

@ Thomas

This may be a little late, and you may not read it.

I do not regret having children during that time. I am of the philosophy that if you wait to make important decisions in your life, you may never get the chance to. My wife and I both agreed that we should have children right away rather than waiting. We did not want to miss out.

I also feel that if you put something important off, it gets easier to keep putting it off till “later.”

We both wanted children. We knew it would be hard to raise them under those stressful circumstances, but let me tell you. I love my kids. I would not have traded those hardships for anything in the world.

I don’t know if I have given you a solid response to your question. I think it is because it was an emotional decision, not a tactical one. Had I come from a tactical point of view, sure kids would not have been in the picture at the time. But to me, kids are not something to be thought of in a tactical sense.

I hope that sheds a little light on that.

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

Get Informed says:

People attack Ron Paul because they don’t take the time to understand him. I can tell that every anti-Paul post here is based on very little information, the kind you might get from watching a 60 second clip on the news. Please swallow your pride, educate yourselves, and make an informed choice at the polls. Further, like most campaigning for Ron Paul, this is being organized by his grassroots supporters. His official campaign usually doesn’t do much at all. He raised 4+ million in one day and then 6+ million in one day without an official donation drive! Think about the kind of support he has when so many people are willing to work so hard and donate their own time and money! He also won 1st place in over 50% of the straw polls thus far. This is no fad. Check the info, get educated. Bashing Paul is a fad, my friends. If you believe in the Constitution, you’ll support Ron Paul. Knowledge is Power.

dtaggart says:

Paul’s plans for ending social programs DOESN’T involve suddenly cutting people off and leaving them to starve in the street- he understands fully that there are many people honestly dependent on the systems in place. Most systems would be phased out (for example, young people would have the option to privatize their own Social Security in such a way that it’d be their own money and would definitely be there for them when the time came, unlike the rapidly collapsing setup in place). Additionally, a lot of the economic crisis faced by the average person is perpetuated, or even caused, by government actions.
    The US became a welfare state in the wake of the market crash that precipitated the Great Depression, and ever since, our concept of what government should do for us has shifted in an ultimately destructive direction- as nice an idea as it is for everyone to be on equal ground, it’s not economically sustainable (check out Russia). Obviously the US system is nowhere near that drastic, but it’s the same root concept, and it leads to the same direction- the means taken to fix the issue wind up eventually worsening the situation.

TSummerville says:

I really am glad I dont participate on that particular server. I dont play WoW to hear about stuff in real life. I play to get far away from it. Keep it about the game , leave the ploitical process out of it.

Cyrus_Chicanery says:

I would probably be all for this guy if it weren’t for his wanting to ban abortion and end all social programs. If you can’t see how that is a recipe for disaster then you’re an idiot…

kurisu7885 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@E. Zachary Knight

I know what you mean. I was at the DHS office and I saw people there in designer clothing and with fancy cell phones, and it pissed me right the fuck off.

In fact on the way out my dad made the comment “They’ll help those who can afford things like that but not those who can’t”

Brohah says:

I think he’s an alright guy, but it seems kind of ironic that so many web-heads and online gamers are fans of him, when he voted against net neutrality. He’s a progressive guy, certainly, but not on the intranetz front.

Shepperton says:

“Anyways, I’m also surprised at the lack of Paul defense on this site. Maybe he is simply under-represented amongst gamers.”

Are you joking? Gamers are the only people who seem to like him. It’s massively disproportionate. I’ve certainly never met anyone in real life who didn’t think libertarianism was for morally bankrupt nutjobs.

ZippyDSMlee ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Welfair only works when the system is put in place to work look at it before Regan came in you got vouchers for appliances and furniture and food stamps to where yuo could have just enough money to make a car payment and rent nows adays you get sht and if you get 10$ above the cap thats below the poverty line you lose whatever you were getting, been in the welfare system in the mid 80s and 90s and tis only gotten worse as both sides wedge out both the poor and middle class to serve the needs of the rich and the whiny “its not my problem” voters.

RP sets the clock back on welfare a bit to far for my tastes but at this point and time the system is already broken so either it will get worse or better.

I like RP mostly because he will bring the change needed to stabilize us for the future if he dose not well fck its not like the zombie leaders of the dims and reapers will do anything to stop the maddness.

As for huckabee I like him more than the rest of the reaper candidates but still like PR even more and neither are likly to win the reaper side, the dims I’ll take Obama above all and edwards 2nd, Hillery is only a option if RP and Huckabee are not a option.

Thompson,Rudy and Romny are just good old fashioned neo cons looking to one up the status quo.

Huckabee needs more brains and less bible…

Hillery needs to stop pandering for votes and changing her mind on issues….

Edwards needs to focus on not the poor but the middle class with no middle no one will take care of the poor this much I have learned being in the system…

RP dosen’t have a snow balls chance in hell… if he dose get in he wont do worse than bush because no one will support his more radical plans and all the moderate stuff he wants to do are things we need to do anyway.

Obama is the black sheep (yes this is a pun and zippy stood up all night thinking it up 😛 )
    But really tho he’s fresh for a insider and could well wind up being the best pick if RP is “unavalbile” LOL

Thomas ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I could have sworn there was something in the Terms of Service for WoW about political speech being bannable.. laugh if all the accounts involved get banned.

Also, as for the whole welfare debate, all I can say is that I have lived my life in England and Australia, both of whom have welfare systems, and I’ve spent my time on said systems… those who are able to afford everything they need and more in life always seem to enjoy saying “just get a job” when it is just not that simple, there are less and less jobs, and in many places it is all to possible to slip through the cracks. At this time I personally have no other choice than to study, while on welfare, in order to get a job because there are absolutely no jobs available to me that will employ me due to my age, experience, and education level.. (I’ve spent the last three years in Visa limbo unable to work and now nobody will take me because I’ve been unemployed for three years).

One question though, to EZK.. I have a great deal of sympathy for you about the situation you were once in, but what drove you to decide to have children, two of them, when you knew you could not support them if the worst happened? To me, the decision to have children is a conscious one in the modern world, and as all decisions that will involve money, finances should be a vitally important factor in making it

monte ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Well i never been much of a supporter of Ron Paul, i’m often not sure what to think, and While i haven’t looked enough into these issues to be sure, i think Ron Paul might be right about quite a few things… mainly that something may need to change and it needs to be done now

Short version, if we don’t make some pretty drastic changes now the country will be in pretty deep shit by the time our children and grandchildren come on to the scene… We are spending more money then we are making and some of the biggests sources of such trouble comes from many of the programs that Ron Paul wants to put an end to, along with increased taxes… if i recall, no one is actually denying what is said in that article and there is no reason to think it won’t happen; but ofcourse cutting down on those programs and increasing taxes are very unpopular stances and most politicans are unwilling to touch such issues because it tends to be political suicide (the average voter can only think of themselves and tomarrow, not problems that their children and grandchildren will face in about 20-30 years from now)… but it does sound like what must be done

I’m not sure if we need to get rid of the programs outright, afterall the programs do a lot of good for those that NEED it, but from how it sounds in that article, something definatly needs to change about those programs… and i don’t think cutting down on military spending alone (ending the war) alone will be enough; something may need to be done about those more helpful programs… their maybe more poeple abusing it then their are those who need it and that means a lot of the money for those programs may just be going to waste

smartr says:

The IRS taxes me $4000 or so each year right below the poverty level. The Federal government spends more on health care systems PER PERSON than FRANCE. The Federal government spends more on education per person than European nations with better education systems. The Federal government has gotten us into an expensive immoral war in Iraq. Large centralized governments don’t work, don’t serve the people well, and it’s time the people woke up. The current Republican administration has betrayed it’s roots, or to quote Alan Greenspan, “Smaller government, lower spending, lower taxes, less regulation – they had the resources to do it, they had the knowledge to do it, they had the political majorities to do it. And they didn’t.”

Dr. No aka Ron Paul is the best man to get rid of this waste.

PlayItBogart says:

Now is this a march from the IF train to the SW train? Otherwise I can see a whole lot of newly created characters getting slaughtered trying to march through Blackrock and the Burning Steppes.

Matt ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Honest the USA is going to crumble soon anyways if we dont get a good president in the next 3 terms. The US citizens will declare war on the government and use our 2nd amendment right to fight for it. I know its going to happen as i know about 500 people that actually are considering trying to get even more people to join in.

If anyone thinks Hilary, Obama, or any other mentally challenged candidates think they would be good for our country prepare for our taxes to increase 25% by 2009.

E. Zachary Knight ( User Karma: 1 ) says:

I think I will chime in on the whole welfare debate going on here.

I am by no means incapable. I have no disabilities and am fairly inteligent. I am able to provide for my family. I can buy them food, insurance etc.

But that was not always the case. Shortly after getting married, I started going to scool full time and working full time (mostly). The only job I was able to get that fit around my class schedule was a $10 an hour job. I was living in Arizona at the time and living expenses are pretty high ther. My two bedroom apartment was running at $650 (the cheepest for the size). My wife was pregnant and we were a one car family. My wife was unable to work so I was supporting my family completely. My paycheck went completely to bills. We had no money left over for food or insurance. So we had to go with food stamps and medicare to beable to provide for my family. Had I opted not to get medicare and went with the insurance through my work, I would not have been able to pay all my bills.

During this time I had two kids and only a dollar raise at my job. So my situation did not improve. Sure I could have quit school and looked for a better job, but that would have severely limited my long term prospects.

Long story short, had it not been for food stamps and medicare, I would not be in the position I am in now after graduating. I am able to buy a house, insurance and plenty of food for my family. Had I opted to quit school to get my family off those programs, I am not sure what I would be doing, but I doubt that it would be anything as nice as I have now.

Now I am not the norm. When I was in the DES office waiting to turn in paperwork and such, there were plenty of people who were either incapable or unwilling to better their own circumstances. We even over heard conversations between people about how to scam the system. That is th kind of stuff that made me sick.

But still there are plenty of people like me who are working to better their life and the life of their family but need temporary assistance. That is what these programs are supposed to be for. They are supposed to be a temporary solution. But abusers have turned it into their only means of provision.

I don’t think that those programs need to be dumped. They are important. But I do think that they need to be switched to state run programs and have the federal government get their noses out of it.

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

Neeneko says:

I think people misunderstand Ron Paul’s stance on the ‘take care of yourself’ issue. I really don’t think he is for getting bad apples out of the system or transferring ‘hard earned dollars’ to other people…..

He is for selfishness and self interest, which is why he is so popular among educated middle class. His entire philosophy is ‘do as well as yourself as you can, zero responsibility to any kind of community’. No social responsibility, no shared resources, and ‘tyranny of the masses’ as far as the eyes can see.

Think of the old robber barons and you’ve got a good mental image. A very attractive idea to those who wish themselves wealthy and absolved of any responsibility back to the community.

DougB says:

Hey actually Paul has the best ideas for helping people caught in a bad situation.

Paul advocates re-focusing our national defenses on protecting our borders and not corportate-welfarism-Empire-building. In that respect, I feel he supports the troops and strengthening our national security more than any other candidate.

The money saved from slowing down our British-Empire-dopplegangerism would make things like Social Security and Medicaid solvent again.

Paul has said often that though he would prefer to improve the economy in ways that help less people be dependent on government aid, those programs are the absolute last on his list of programs he’s uncomfortable with. This is the polar opposite of warmongers like Bush who need trillions for world conquest and collateral damage but can’t spare some change for programs like S-Chip.

Finally, all this crap about Paul being a closet racist is simply crap. It’s the McCain’s-black-baby whisper campaign of 2008. (McCain and his wife had adopted a baby from overseas whom they loved and took good care of and Bush operatives turned it into a very effective anti-McCain lie amongst the closet racists in SC in 2004) It has been disproven again and again. The NYT ran an official retraction two days ago saying everything they checked out proved that these are decades old slanders. What is clear is that Paul is perhaps the least racist candidate running. Other than Obama who has been really impressive about not biting when haters pull the race card, I’ve been most impressed with Paul. Paul doesn’t pull the anti-Arab card, the anti-Jew card, the white supremacist crap, or even the hispanics-are-watering-down-our-culture crap when he gets all hardline about illegal immigration. If you listen to the man himself – and not a couple fringe wackos who think they agree with him – you’re likely to be impressed at that.
    Anyways, I’m also surprised at the lack of Paul defense on this site. Maybe he is simply under-represented amongst gamers. That’s cool with me. As much as I like the guy, I’m not sure I’d want a bunch of spam chat about politics on my server neither. But if they’re cool about the 1 morning thing maybe it’ll be not-so-big-a-deal. (Seems most guilds are more active at night).
    My 2 cents. And nah I don’t really care whether they’re backed by gold or not . . . I haven’t studied that issue enough. Mostly I like Paul ‘cuz he’s into freedom, against collateral damage and sending our ‘bravest and best’ into questionable enagements, backs up his craziest ideas with really interesting arguments (like the whole gold standard stuff), and just seems genuine – which is way refreshing to me. Plus he’s been in Congress for 20 years and seems the best read of any of the guys (or gals) on our actual founding principles.

Dave says:

Well… actually, it is an intrusion.

I have no problem with them doing rallies by the highway, or any other public place the care to do so at. My problem with this is that World of Warcraft is my decompression time. It’s my time to step away from the real world for a bit, relax, have a little fun, and reset for the next day. I don’t pay $15 a month so I can be subject to political ads or messages or anything other than those things pertaining to the game. It’s bad enough that there are gold seller spam and other inane things shouted in the major cities each day. Those kind of go with the territory of playing an MMORPG and there are systems in place to deal with it. The one thing that has no place as far as I’m concerned is this.

If I thought, based on their past actions and behaviors, that this would be contained to the road between IF and SW, then I probably wouldn’t have a problem with it. However, I know it’ll end up in all the major cities and the waves of prattle it will generate from there.

Political rallies have their place. World of Warcraft is not that place.

jkdjr25, formerly bayushisan ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@JustChris and Sulligan

I’m sorry but you both miss the point. I will readily admit that there are people who abuse the system. However that doesn’t change the fact that there are people who do need the help. People who, for no fault of there own, are in a situation where they need the assistance. What do we tell these citizens? That we’re sorry and it sucks to be them or the classic “get a job?” ?

I’ll use myself as an example again. I’ve never abused the system and for many years I thought the same way. That the majority of people on these systems didn’t really need it, that they were just lazy. I didn’t really understand until I was in the situation. Michigan is dead last in jobs and in the economy. There are people here who want to work but can’t find a job. There are people who desperately need help to pay their medical bills and the only hope they have of doing so are in programs like medicaid. Where are they supposed to turn? If they don’t have the money for medicine they surely don’t have the money to pick up and move to state where they could find work.

The point is that Ron Paul is wrong on this one. There are people who need help for a variety of reasons and one of the reaons government exists is to help the people.

Tom ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Wow, this is the first time I’ve seen Ron Paul mentioned on the internet in a way that wasn’t immediately followed by rabid posts from Ron Paulers.

I think that people are finally beginning to actually learn the truth about Ron Paul – namely that he would not be good for the country. I saw him on the news commenting on the Bhutto assassination and before he opened his mouth and knew exactly what he was going to say.

Iniquus ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This should be interesting. Still, I have to wonder about how much this is going to help. The most positive outcome I can see is this march gets harassed, which makes the news, and gets press for political discrimination. How does that saying go? “All press is good press?”

But seeing his stance on the issues, I have to wonder how many of his “suporters” are just part of a fad that someone else pointed out. I’m also kind of thinking people are supporting him a a spoiler in the primary. Then again, I’m no political analyst.

-Mike Schwinger

JustChris says:

Some people have become so dependent on government that they can’t handle the idea of actually lessening it’s stranglehold on people’s lives.

Or there of course are the hypocrites who say they support social programs for the poor but will in fact only “give” to the poor through taxes that support the inefficient social programs and would never voluntarily give to a charity. People who actually give a rats ass about the poor realize there is always the option to voluntarily give your money.

Dave says:

I get enough of politics without it intruding on my leisure time.

Whisperwind (Horde Side) is my home server and I plan on being there.

God help them if any of them flag for PvP.

Demontestament ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Too bad this isn’t happening on Blackwing Lair(PVP server) I would love to raid IF and Stormwind in response to these psychos walking for a closed minded moron. Figures the Alliance would support Ron Paul ;).

jkdjr25, formerly bayushisan ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Absolutely. Take me for example. Due to very poor health I haven’t been able to work in a while, then back in april I had a four day hospital stay. That racked up a 25,000+ dollar bill. I don’t have the money to pay and I need the medicaid to help. Someone like Ron Paul, who has likely never been in my situation, doesn’t understand that. In his mind I should just take care of it myself, completely ignoring the very bad economic situation that my state is in right now.

The biggest reason I don’t support him is because he doesn’t understand what government is there for. Government should do for the people, what the people cannot do for themselves.

Loudspeaker ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ VaMinion

Lol you’re on! I’ll post it here if I find one.

@ All who are joining the WoW march

FYI if you don’t like spam you might want to think twice about joining. It just occurred to me that gold farmers will be there in force. For those who don’t know what a gold farmer is… It’s basically a character represented by websites who want you to pay cash for gold in game spamming you over and over again about their “wonderful” site.

VaMinion ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“…I’m going to find a widget or gadget and monitor that server. Oi!”

If you find one, send it to me. We could make a drinking game out of it.

Loudspeaker ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Ok the hilarious part about all of this being someone in IT is this…

It will NEVER work! Not as a political demonstration but on the level of network and computing mechanics. Too many people and not enough servers.

The march will never complete because the server will crash/restart every 5 to 10 minutes.

…I’m going to find a widget or gadget and monitor that server. Oi!

Good concept, bad execution.

jds ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

jkdjr25, formerly bayushisan Says:

If you can’t take care of yourself, well that’s your problem. That’s not the kind of attitude I want to see in someone who wants to be president.

I’m not a Ron Paul supporter, but I don’t think his idea is “…if you can’t take care of yourself, well that’s your problem…”

I think his idea is “…if you WON’T take care of yourself, well that’s your problem…”

But if I’ve misinterpreted his stance, my bad. I don’t follow much of what the guy says.

Mort ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Jake

I haven’t looked it up, but at face value that is a pretty shady stance. He takes money from them, but won’t support their views? More likely can’t support their views publicly because it would kill him politically.

Just by accepting money from them, it shows poor judgment. Taking it from them with no intention of making good is even more strange. Why else donate to someone unless you expect them to help you out? That makes me like him even less and worry more about his thought patterns.

Also I disagree with the disbandment of some of the government agencies and programs he is against. For instance… Social Security, welfare, medicaid and medicare as noted in a previous post. There are those that truly need these programs to survive. Medical care here is extremely expensive, a night in the ICU can run in the tens of thousands of dollars depending on what is needed. That one night could ruin a family to poor to afford proper insurance.

However, this debate is fairly moot as he won’t win the primary.

jakethe8lf ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’m not American, but if I were, I would vote Ron Paul. I basically agree with him on every issue except gay marriage (which is trivial, because he thinks it should be up to the states) and abortion (he is a doctor, and has delivered babies, so I can see where he’s coming from).

As for the white supremacists, better Ron Paul with the money than them (which, I think is RP’s response to the issue, anyway).

Bob says:

Wow, not only are Ron Paul supporters crazy spammers, they’re a bunch of losers. It’s like Second Life – it’s all completely hype, as if anything you do there will affect anything in reality.

jkdjr25, formerly bayushisan ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The problem is that there are people who do, genuinely, need the help. There are people who can’t afford health insurance, like myself, who need the help to pay their medical bills. There are people who, for whatever reason, can’t find work. Note that I said can’t, not won’t.

The programs that Ron Paul wants to dismantle are there for a reason; to help people who need it.

chadachada(123) ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Idk, I’m actually for the idea of taking care of yourself…There are exceptions of course, but I don’t like seeing the wastes of society getting OUR hard-earned tax-dollars (Single mothers with 6 kids living in the really poor areas, drunks that spend all their welfare on booze and drugs, etc). On that note, I’m not sure if some parents are actually fit to raise their kids, if they can’t even support them.

jkdjr25, formerly bayushisan ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

He’s for bring all overseas troops back to the U.S., even the ones that aren’t involved in the war in Iraq. He’s also for dismantling Social Security, welfare, medicaid and medicare.

Kenji-sama ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

While this is a good grassroots idea, I can see other candidates (I’m looking at you Bronback, Romney) looking down their noses at it since it’s on the “internets” with these “games”, and you can’t put any real stock in what “those gamers” think. One MO that the right has not outgrown as long as I have known it, is take something that is good for all intents and purposes, and find a way to twist into a “I’m high and mighty” stance. *ahem* But I digress. Good for Ron Paul and those that support him…now can someone explain to me what the hell the guy is about? I’ve only been watching news on TV, so of course I wouldn’t know who he is…

GameDevMich ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Conejo – Griefing the griefers…it’s such a vicious cycle. I have plenty of better things to do, but I have priority issues =) Plus, I so rarely get to join in some good ol’ chaos.

Taylor says:

@ jkdjr25

Some of the support for Paul is a fad, the cool new internet bandwagon to jump on. Other support is from folks who hear one topic they agree with the guy on and don’t look any further.

“US out of Iraq!” or “Disband the IRS!” or whatever…

Thing is, they don’t do any research on how he wants to accomplish these things or just how crazy and racist the guy really is. They have blinders on for anything that doesn’t fit their perfect world view.

~the1jeffy says:

Nochanceron – lvl 1 Female BE Mage. Anyone that plays on the server with a spare 10g who’d like to start a guild with me? My mains are on Medivh, so this toon has no money, and im not blowing $75 bucks for a transfer on this.

tollwutig ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Isn’t there a high level disease that can be quickly spread with devastating effects in WoW? Didn’t it take out Ironforge for a while?

Wouldn’t it be fun if someone could get it going again in the middle of this march?

lumi ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This strikes me as being on-par with the SL campaign tactics. I really have to wonder if the candidates realize this doesn’t really make any of the “young voters” want to vote for them so much as it makes us simply /facepalm.

Kira ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“Actually, no. I just took a quick look and found that Whisperwind is not a PvP server.”

Lol, too bad. I usually don’t approve of such disruptions; that whole game-funeral-for-a-RL-dead-guild-mate incident springs to mind as a well known example: I found that disgusting. However, I like to think of games like this as an escape from reality, and bringing reality it in this way, especially a political issue, kind of annoys me. Oh well, I’m sure that the authentic Ron Paul supporters who attend will have a good time.

Mort ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

What someone needs to do is get a high level horde hunter and abuse the snake trap bug to let the little things nibble all over the unflagged marchers… only way to deal with it is run to deagro and let them bite someone else, let them wear off, or flag to kill the snakes.

This march is about the same as Ron Paul thinking he might get nominated… which is to say, pissing into the wind. I might join in the blood elf anti-march. Imagine… hundreds of naked blood elves… dancing in protest of something stupid.

It would be like any competition on the internet… no matter who wins, you still look like a retard.

GameDevMich ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

~the1jeffy – I’m game if you are. I have 2 other friends with existing accounts (on a separate server) who will roll a toon and join in for the sake of shenanigans. I’m sure it will not take much to get things going. Hell, I am willing to bet the parade will not make it to the first destination.

GameDevMich ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

It may not be a PvP server, but it is still possible for players to fight each other. If a player presses a button to flag their avatar as PvP, then opposing factions can attack the player. As we’ve seen on many sites throughout the WWW, it does not take much to instigate an all out flame war between RP supporters and trolls (sometimes the trolling comes from both sides).

I’ve just reactivated my account…I will be there to see this all go down.

WarOtter ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

It’s too bad that the candidates are falling in line yet again to promote our flailing two party ‘democracy’ *cough* itsnotademocracyitsarepublic *cough*

E. Zachary Knight ( User Karma: 1 ) says:

which means they’ll probably be Gnomes or Dwarves, which is too bad, because I liked the idea of “Trolls for Ron Paul”

I love that. It could not be any more true.

On a related note, on my way home from work yesterday I saw some Ron Paul supporters standing in the over the interstate walkway with signs. They were waving at all the cars passing.

What devotion.