Player Succeeds at World of Warcraft Non-violently

Can you make it to level 70 in WoW without killing anything?

WoW Insider reports on a player who does just that.

Noor, a gnome rogue and Reinisch, an undead priest, both on the Maiv server, never kill anything intentionally. The unnamed player behind both avatars describes himself as a 50-year-old computer programmer and says he is also the webmaster for Firesign Theater comedy troupe (GP: one of our faves, back in the day).

He told WoW Insider:

I had thought about doing such a [pacifist] character off and on for a while… Both my priest and my rogue try not to hit anything, although there’s always a chance of a misclick when trying to open a quest item with mobs fighting near it. Both of them always wield a fishing rod, so any accidental hits won’t increase their weapon skills. Neither of them will do quests where they have to kill things.

I started [my undead priest] from a roleplaying point of view, based very loosely on a real German priest, Franz Reinisch, who refused to serve in Hitler’s army and was executed… As a rogue is a sort of “spy” class, I Googled for a pacifist spy and found Noor Inayat Khan, a woman who was also executed by the Nazis for aiding the French resistance, so I named my rogue after her. She was the daughter of a well-known pacifist in India.

GP: For those familiar with World of Warcraft, WoW Insider has much more on the mechanics of how the pacifist characters are played.

Anonymous says:

Unlike previous games in the Warcraft series, World of Warcraft is a MMORPG, not a real-time strategy game. There are some similarities with previous games in the series, including the use of the same setting of the world of Azeroth as well as following a similar art direction.arizona pool builder

Michael Woo says:

I’m pretty annoyed by how my rogue is performing in PVP.

I can’t kill shit with the rogue – so much for high DPS. You can’t really have really high DPS if things started to run around and worse of all drop a fear bomb and that’s it!

:( i’m a lvl 70 rogues in nagrand.. with epic gladiator set

[…] I’m just catching up on reading and found a great piece at Gamepolitics about a World of Warcraft player who reached the highest level in the game as a pacifist, never intentionally attacking or killing another player. He found real-life examples of pacifism that related to his character class and based his role-playing and character names after them: Franz Reinisch (link in German) and Noor Inayat Kahn. […]

Dave ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This idea has occurred to me, but I knew I’d never have the patience to pull it off. By the way, if you read the WoW Insider article, you’ll see that the same guy also has a 70 mage and 70 warlock that he plays normally. He pretty much knows the game inside and out and wanted to put his own spin on it. Let people have fun the way they want, I think it’s creative.

King James says:

I think it’s an interesting experiment, especially in game design – what happens when a player decides not to play the way you intend? Moreover, maybe there needs to be more games that don’t involve injuring or killing other intelligent beings that are just as compelling and interesting as the video games that do make it an essential part of their gameplay. More diversity of playstyle can only be a good thing, right?

Lord Phoenix ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

It’s commendable, sure, but it really detracts from the essence of the game. You’ll miss out on quite a lot if you simply refuse to kill anything at all in-game….you certainly won’t get very good gear. And seeing as how killing NPCs/players (raids, PvP) is 85% of the game, its probably quite less exciting. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

DOCW, you are, too, able to use The Armory. Here’s Noor’s profile:

This is, btw, my biggest beef. RP is, for better or worse, a “make believe” world in which people can be as … out there … as they want to be. This player chose real world heroes’ names who did what they did to protect others, even if it meant their death. Death. Not a corpse run, logging out, coming back tomorrow.

If he doesn’t want to fight because it’s a fun little twist to the game, that’s cool. But to borrow the names of Nazi resistance members to justify and embellish it, is bad. To them it wasn’t a fun little twist to a game. It was death. One doesn’t respect their sacrifices by paying $15 a month and playing a game in some, by all means, unnatural and unintended way.

Overcast says:

I think I would have found it quite annoying.. lol – but then it’s cool he was able to accomplish his goal.

Although I must admit, I’ve gotten a bit bored of WoW already, myself.

“succeeds” is a bit of an exaggeration. He has two very low level (the kind of level one reaches in an evening or two when playing “normal mode”) characters that are, by all accounts, stuck there for quite some time. If that’s success, my six year old niece succeeded at WoW as well, on her third day of playing.

Anonymous says:

@ Zorak,

I agree. Even if killing pixels is not exactly murder, it does defeat the point.

It would have been funnier (and more peaceful) if he had only done something like abusing of the ingame market to get big bucks and buying a good gear of it.

Geno ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

That’s pretty easy actually. I can’t imagine trying to get past 40 without ever killing anything. I had to run SM Cath about 30 times to get from 30-35

Geno ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

So… He only completed quests that required no fighting? Is there that many to the point where he can get to level 70? Maybe repeatable quests.

This guy has reached a new level of “No life”. If it takes that long to reach 70 by killing things it probably takes twice as long to do it without killing anything.

lol @ his armor though if that’s him at level 70. I had those shoulders on my 35 shaman.

Vacavriach says:

A very cool idea which would be quite a challenge.

I wonder if he allowed himself to group with other characters that were killing creatures? I would assume not.

Myrpok says:

I’m 23 years old and I absolutely love Firesign Theatre. Nick Danger ftw! If anyone would try to totally undermine the basic rules for a game, it’d be a Firesign fan. That stuff was crazier than Monty Python at times.