GP on Joystiq: Stand Up & Be Counted

…the one in which GP explains why EA’s decision to fight for Mass Effect means as much to gamers as it does to the video game industry.

Catch it only on Joystiq

Terrible Tom ( User Karma: -1 ) says:

The Game Industry simply has to begin replying to these individuals in a more productive way so that the general public, which tends to be ignorant when it comes to games, can begin to be educated. This way we don’t have to wait a generation or two for things to begin to improve.

Kira ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Nice article! I’m also pleasantly surprised that EA stood up for their game. The various companies have to be used to such criticisms and exaggerations by now, but I think the proverbial “straw” were the outright lies that the various people have been spouting about this game.

I haven’t played Mass Effect, but I did play Neverwinter Nights (Bioware), and that also included story lines involving romance that you could engage in via selecting certain dialog options with NPCs (no actual love scenes though). So I can imagine that the process leading up to the actual love scene in ME is similar. I also watched the cinematic, and felt that it was very tasteful.

It’s such a shame that ignorance and misinformation can be spread so easily these days. Hopefully EA will continue the good fight.

DCOW ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

piss one gamer off, you have an annoyance

attack a game with a universally known untrue and you sick an entire damn industry on yourself.

Spartan says:

@Dennis – Nice article! Keep at it. The defamation of gamers is the real issue here I think and the fact the industry has never up for its customers over the years.

@Adam – I have the same sediments as you about the situation.

On a side note all her books have been panned on all the different Amazon sites and B&N as well as others from what I have read.

GregoriusH says:

This is an issue the gaming community has really come together on. Even the Sony and Nintendo fanboys (myself included) have been standing up for Mass Effect.

It’s nice to see a little solidarity every once in awhile.

konrad_arflane ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’ve been thinking that as well. The whole thing reminds me of the one time I ever got kicked out of class and sent to the principal. The teacher who did it was an inexperienced substitute who was losing control of the classroom, and I turned around at the wrong moment to see what the guys behind me were laughing at. She basically kicked me out to set an example.

As it happened, I was just about the most well-behaved kid in the entire class, though of course she didn’t (and indeed couldn’t) know that. The second I closed the door behind me, my classmates absolutely erupted in protest at the unfairness of it. In the end, half the class walked out the door and up to the principal’s office and explained that it was all a misunderstanding, bless ’em.

This is probably gonna take a little more to set right, sadly.

adam says:

Well said, and personally I’m just reveling in this whole controversy.

Sure, when they bash GTA or Manhunt for being bad for kids, I can let that slide because, yes those games are bad for children. Yes, they border on the gratuitous and you can make the argument their only redeeming quality is the shock value–But Mass Effect is a freaking crown jewel of the industry, a true masterpiece of the art form–and these people are taking a sh!t on it based on total exaggeration and outright falsehoods.

We aren’t going to let this one skate by. What we’re seeing now on the news and blog pages is like the public demonstration of the internet age. What we’re seeing on the Amazon book reviews and the panelist’s MySpace page is the like the civil disobedience of the new millennium. I just hope it doesn’t become an all out riot. I will be watching :)

Chalts ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Now I remember why I stopped watching TV news except for Glen Beck. They can’t get a single friggin’ thing right.

Great article, GP. I hope this sort of thing happens more often.

Funny thing is, Fox News’ own website tends to have good game coverage… for a mainstream outlet, and gave Mass Effect high marks. They should have known better than to smear the game like this.

GryphonOsiris ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I wonder, how many of these people were the kinds to beat up, harrass, or otherwise torment the kids who played Space Invaders, Pong, Pac-man, ect?

Well said Dennis. Facts are our greatest weapon against these ignorant fools.

Guiguibob80 says:

they feel threatened by us that’s why they likened us to those they don’t understand. they see us killing things in game and having fun doing it so they think we are serial killers and dangerous.

They make me think of the book Farenheit 451woh right I’m a 13 years old hyperactive teen who’s drooling in front of my TV I don’t read books). they are fighting what they don’t understand.

Haliwali says:

Nice. I think of all the times we’re stereotyped as he said, and it’s shocking we haven’t been rounded up and tagged. According to “the experts” I meet all the requirements for being a serial killer or rapist.

SithLibrarian says:

Nice write-up, Dennis.
    It is nice to see an industry big wig snap at those who do nothing but spout incorrect nonsense. I’m hoping 2008 will be the year of the gamer.

Jack ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Great post on Joystiq. I actually feel like the community is starting to stand more and more together as the RIDICULOUS lies about our favorite pastime get worse and worse.

Thomas ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Well said Dennis.

The last few weeks have been an excellent example of how well spoken gamers can change people’s minds, and its excellent to see a game company finally wading in and helping out.

Its time the video game industry as a whole started acting against the stereotypes and false information. When a video game is attacked, it should be the makers and publishers standing at the forefront defending it.. by not doing so, they only send the message that their critics are correct.