Yahoo! Games Rates Prez Hopefuls on Video Game Issues

Where do the leading presidential candidates stand on video game issues?

Ben Silverman of Yahoo! Games summarizes the positions of the top three candidates from both parties. Included in the recap is Democrat John Edwards, who announced yesterday that he is dropping out.

Of the remaining candidates, Silverman writes:

Compared to his more conservative opponents, [John] McCain is a viable option for Republican gamers, although his ties to [frequent game critic Sen. Joe] Lieberman are worth noting.

Obscenity laws? Societal cesspools? Unless you’re wracked with gamer guilt, [Mitt] Romney is one hard sell.

[Mike Huckabee is] no Mitt Romney. That’s gotta count for something.

Despite her good intentions, Hillary’s scary track record might be enough to dissuade gamers from putting another Clinton in office.

[Barack] Obama is more skeptical of how violent games affect behavior than his rivals, and in turn seems less inclined to legislate right off the bat. That should ring true with gamers.

TheAngryOtaku says:

The track record of politicians on video games is an excellent barometer for really telling how well the candidates can relate to a generation younger than them. It’s amazing that some of these candidates got so passionate about making sure the writings of J.D. Salinger didn’t get banned in schools, but now pull a total 180 when it comes to things they know almost nothing about. I doubt most of the candidates care about you if you’re anywhere near the age of their own kids (and I’m Chelsea’s age).

Robb says:

Funny how some mention that video games are not enough a reason to pick a specific candidate, yet the simple excuse of ‘President Bush went through the destruction and devastation of 9/11’ and was a perfect reason to put him back in office; Given where we stand now…i bet maybe they should’ve thought twice about their reasons for voting….

don’t vote? then don’t complain when things are shitty.

Meleedragon27 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I gotta agree with what Vinzent said. Obama and McCain would be my top choices and I’d rather one of them become president, as every other candidate scares me… especially Clinton. No way in hell I’m voting for her…

Terrible Tom ( User Karma: -1 ) says:

Only person I trust and has proven themselves to be consistent and honest is Ron Paul. Everyone else is either not qualified, inconsistent or just strait up dishonest. But of course everyone is either going to vote for their party, for a single issue, or for whoever is apart of the OTHER major party in terms of the party they affiliate themselves with. Sadly, thats just how the system works and who is to blame? Well one is the crappy election process, and two the voters for not researching the candidates and for having poor voters ethics.

Father Time ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Mccain’s ties to Lieberman shouldn’t be that big an issue. After all Lieberman has been relatively quiet on the gaming front and has been for a while.

Conejo ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

you really have to worry about Huckabee, since he wants to rewrite the constitution to read like the Bible.

a man is entitled to his beliefs, but he is not entitled to outlaw the beliefs of others.

Black Patriot ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Whilst i still like Clinton (Bill) i think that Hillary got entirely to where she is on her husbands coattails, not through real ability. That, combined with her opinions about Video Games makes her a no vote in my book (if i still lived in the US and could figure out how to vote, been out here in Australia since i was about 2).

That leaves Obama, since i am sick of republicans, who seems to be pretty moderate in his opinions about Video Games. Thus, Obama for the Presidency….

MonkeyPeaches ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

but if hit… hillary or mitt romney got the nomination, they could try to amend the constitution to say “No violent video games.” I doubt they would succeed though.

Bloodharp ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I died a little today when i learned that apparently Hillary took the polls here in Michigan, although at 51 Clinton to 49… no one, i laughed a little. Apparently wed like no pres rather than her.
    On the news at hand, props to future pres Obama for not alienating the fastest growing community in the world. Ill be seeing you in the White House, :)

Mad_Scientist ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I think Huckabee is misunderstood a lot, and some of his remarks are taken out of context, but oh well.

I actually don’t think he’d support video game legistlation at all, though.

kurisu7885 says:

I still hold that having our first female president won’t be worth it if it’s Hillary, but certain groups will still fight to have her in.

I do like Obama because he seems to see right through the BS. I don’t want my president wasting time trying to legislate what I can and can’t do in my spare time. They’ll just move on to whatever else they feel offends them.

JustChris says:

Huckabee is starting to scare me more, not because of his issues on video games, but with what he said in comparing the Bible to the Constitution. He states that “It is easier to change the Constitution than the word of God.”

Steve ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I still begrudge McCain for shutting down the UFC. He used alarmist propoganda much like is often employed against video games. That part does worry me. He is now approving of it (now that it has become mainstream). Since gaming is already mainstream, I don’t think he would have as much of a problem with it.

Frankly, on the issue of games and censorship in general, none of them impress me, and a couple downright worry me. With any luck, “protecting our culture from games” is only a campaign promise they will quickly forget about after the election.

William ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’m voting for Obama, but not just for his position on games. He’s a very honest person compared to Hillary. The Clintons have a history of taking things out of context, bending the truth, and even outright lying once or twice. I want a President that can be trusted. Senator Obama seems like a more honest person, he seems like a person who cares much more for the well being of the country than for his own personal agendas, and he can take credit for voting against the war in Iraq.

Dracis says:

I too have to go with Obama. While his stance on gaming is an influence, it’s not my only reason for voting for and supporting him.

As for Mrs. Clinton, the least of my worries about her is her game legislation agenda. As an ex-union steward, her flip flop stance on union and labor issues, working for Wal-Mart, and not to mention one of her campaign heads representing large anti-labor companies, makes me more than skiddish about her real agendas concerning the middle class and labor issues.

For the Republicans, until they can admit they were the ones in power and made the mess to begin with, nothing will change.

Benji says:

I’ve been saying that if the two main candidates are Clinton vs. Romney I’m moving to Canada. Not because of their stance on games, but because I think they’re bad candidates. Although if that was the actual field, I wouldn’t be surprised if Bloomberg runs and could probably get behind him.

Thomas P. ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Obama is more likely to be level-headed and listen to his constituents before pushing for any type of legislation, unlike specific, current, presidents.

Black Manta ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

That pretty much tracks with my own assessment of the candidates based on everything about them I’ve read, seen and heard combined with my own gut instincts. Nice to know they’re right.

I know there are more weightier issues involved in this election, but as a gamer I can’t help but let those issues figure into my decision, and I look at it as a barometer of how they stand vis a vis other issues.

Combining her pro-game legislation stance along with everything else she’s said on other matters, Hillary comes across to me as sounding like she wants to be everybody’s mom. And I want a President, not a mom, running this country.

Obama’s stance on games reflects his more progressive and pragmatic attitude. He know there’s a bigger root cause to society’s ills than video games just like he knows that there’s bigger root causes to the problems within our own government and how we handle foreign policy. And it’s because he offers such a refreshing viewpoint that is the reason why I’m backing him. And the way things are going, it’s going to be a knock-down drag-out fight between the two of them all the way up to the convention.

Skylar ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I care a lot about video games, but I won’t be voting for the President based on their stance on video games!

Besides, any laws that they try to pass that regulate video games will be struck down by the courts as a 1st amendment violation. Like usual!

Terrible Tom ( User Karma: -1 ) says:

Well if you liked Rudy then you should like Clinton. Do some research, they are pretty similar. I wouldn’t vote for either though. But that is just me.

Texasmotiv says:

It’s great to see that in these dark and uncertain times that we really can focus our attention on the most important issue when picking a candidate, video games.

Monkeythumbs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ all American citizens

Please vote for Barack Obama! Please! Do it for us (i.e. the rest of the Western – ah, heck – the entireworld)!

broken scope ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Screw Huckabee.

He may not have said anything about Videogames, but I’m pretty sure he will if given the opportunity. Not to mention all the rest of his crap. As a moderate Republican, the only person I can vote for is Obama.