Jack Thompson, Seeking Killer’s Video Game History, Threatens NIU with Lawsuit

The Northern Illinois University campus is still reeling from Thursday’s rampage shooting by an apparently deranged 27-year-old man.

But that hasn’t stopped anti-game violence activist Jack Thompson from threatening NIU with a lawsuit. Over video games.

Thompson e-mailed GamePolitics a copy of a letter that he faxed this morning to the university’s public safety department in Dekalb:

GP: Frankly, I had difficulty believing that anyone would waste the time of busy investigators and intrude into the NIU community’s period of mourning over something as trivial as the video game habits of a grown man. For that reason, I asked Thompson to verify that he had actually sent the fax to the university. His response:

Of course I sent it to them, you idiot.

The NIU investigators have already responded, professionally, and told me they will get me this information in due time.  This is how you do this, which you wouldn’t know.

I can’t vouch for Thompson’s version of the NIU staff’s response.

this guy is a dumb shit says:

i would recon that some, yet most of you would love to do some justice to this guy. i dont want to insult anyone of you awesome Jack Thonpson haters. but i think i would love to go counter-strike is ass, he is nothing but a old hag who has the pleasure to make games so little in violence, that even if something as harsh as a punch happens in any games, it would result in an instant lawsuit.

and as far as i know, you know NOTHING about any of these games, NOTHING at all… Counter-strike?? seriously man, you are the real killer. those masacras have nothing to do with any shootings, you suck and everyone wanst to stab you till you realise that games are for fun, not for a real life training camp

Killswitch says:

Jack Thompson is a parasite. He enjoys using tragedies like the Virginia Tech incident and the NIU school shootings to fuel his anti-game propaganda. People have DIED. Families have felt sorrow and all this parasite can think about is a new way to screw over us gamers. His head is too far up his ass to see the truth: That people screw up. People screwed up when this crazy ass shooter could get a gun with no questions asked. The shooter HIMSELF screwed up when he stopped taking his medication. The Anti-Gamers are too ignorant over those facts plus the stress the killer was going through at the time. They have to gloss over the fact that he played a game and it “Made him kill”.

[…] Apparently, “Still Alive” is a song that comes during the end of the puzzle videogame Portal, which was released Oct 9, 2007 for Xbox and Windows, and Dec 11, 2007 for Playstation.  Jonathan Coulton wrote this song for the game (GLaDOS is the robotic singer) and the lyrics reference things that happened throughout the game, including the promise of receiving cake for the person who finishes the game.  According to what I’ve read, Portal players LOVED this song.  It was happily upbeat and the lyrics were relevant to the game, and the robotic voice singing the song made it even better.  Bottom line: if you haven’t played Portal, you won’t have any idea what the deal is with this song, and certainly you won’t understand why one writer called the announcement of Still Alive’s impending addition to the Rock Band songlist ”face meltingly cool”. I listened to the song.  I could not relate to anyone calling it “face meltingly cool”.  Listen here if you want to decide for yourself.So, what does all this mean? I think it means that Rock Band (and Guitar Hero) has done something that most other games have failed to do.  These games allow players to use plastic guitar shaped or drumset controllers to play and sing their favorite rock songs and they have attracted people to gaming that have never really played games – like myself and my dozens of friends who have become addicted to channeling their inner rock star.  Sure, I played Donkey Kong when I was in middle school for a while, and maybe ten years ago I tried the Sims for a day.  But that’s it.  What I didn’t realize until now is that with this “Still Alive”announcement sparking the sheer number of positive comments about the song being added to Rock Band, the rhythm games have obviously also attracted a large number of hardcore gamers who have been gaming on dozens of other games for a long time.  They casually toss around “Halo”, “WoW’, “Call of Duty” and all sorts of references with each other that don’t mean anything to me but are obviously very popular titles to some of my Rock Band and Guitar Hero playing peers.Is this a good thing?  I think so.  With  Barrack Obama suggesting that video games are a metaphor for underachievement and antigaming attorneys telling us that video games are the cause of the tragic shootings at NIU and Virginia Tech there obviously is a lot of misconception out there about what the gaming experience can be and who gamers are.  I know that I don’t have any plans to go out and do any “campus shootings” today or go live with my mom just because I’ve started a Thursday night jam session with my girls.  […]

Soroki says:

My friend’s and I have a small show we film and post on Youtube. The next episode will be called “An Ode To Jack Thompson” We’re considering it anyway. We might film us playing violent games, and just for JT, Counter-Strike. Maybe we’ll pull out some airsoft guns and pretend to kill each other as a sarcastic saulute to JT’s belief that violent games cause violence. Maybe we should play Postal…..or GTA.

Locothrope says:

Counter strike doesn’t train kids to shoot. On crazy people it may help them to rationalize what they’re doing. but that’s as far as i’m willing to go. the fact of the matter is despite a visual representation of the act, guns are so freaking easy to use especially when going up against unarmed and unamored civilians at close range that anyperson with two working hands could leave a wake of carnage. I mean for christ sake how hard is it? you point the business end of the gun at what you want to die and pull your finger back! He wasn’t using a sniper rifle from 600 yards away making corrections for wind and bullet drop, he was using a shotgun and handguns at damn near point blank range. Any fucking moron could do that. Hell I practiced all the basic motions that the shooter used when I was five, with my super-soaker. I’ve not seen outcry about “the watergun-trained massacre”. seriously, you learn more shooting skills (how to steady your hands, how to account for the arcing of your “projectile”) from waterguns than you do from a million hours of counterstrike. seriously jack. if video games turned everyone into murderers, there’d be nobody left alive in America

[…] This is bad enough, but then on GamePolitics.com, I found where the same sympathetic self-promoter is now threatening the same guy/instutition he was condoling with a civil law suit. WHAT?!? Pursuant to the Illinois Freedom of Information Act, I hereby request production of copies of all documents that reveal Steven Kazmierczak’s play of violent video games, including but not limited to the use of his computer to play Counter-Strike, which he apparently, according to the New York Post, used to rehearse for his Valentine’s Day Massacre at NIU. The killers in the two worst school massacres in history—in Erfurt, Germanay, and at Virginia Tech University—similarly trained on Counter-Strike to rehearse for their killing sprees. If I am not provided with this information, I shall bring a civil action  to secure these documents. […]

Soroki says:

I get an average of at least 5 hours of Counter-Strike in every day, but no one’s seen ME out there shooting peole. A game doesn’t teach what it’s like to point a weapon at a living being and pull the trigger. A game doesn’t teach you how you OPERATE one of these weapons. A game doesn’t give you the weapons to kill someone with. A game cannot ‘train’ you to kill anyone. It’s downright bullshit. Do ANY of the people that try desperately to grasp something to blame everything on EVEN PLAY THE DAMN GAMES?! CSS doesn’t have realistic weapon reloading animations. I belive it is far more than pulling out a clip and putting it back in. Wow. I know everything about guns now, lemme go shoot someone now….

Anonymous Coward says:

@ Toxicity²
    Not to mention people have been posting “Anonymously” online well before any of the *chans existed… Or even websites. While I know why it is happening, it is getting annoying with more people lately assuming anonymity= some *chan reference.

Unlike Jack, there are those of use who realized long ago our actions/words online could come back to haunt us, and how nuts like him would stalk us(remember him asking for personal info, posting his and trying to enrage people into harassing him?).

And we don’t need a bunch of morons harassing Jack IRL and making things like death threats, again.

Rob S says:

This guy is a total asshole! Let the people mourn for the dead first, or is he trying to squeeze more blood from them to fuel his campaign. He says he’s doing ‘gods work’ but when did God get so lame? In the good old days if God wanted something done he’d do it himself. Now he’s sub-contracting? How lame is that.

Or mayby JT is using it to get people to pay attention to him. Which is all he really wants, he doesn’t care about video games. He just wants the attention.

I agree that some video games should not be in the hands of people who have problems between reality and fantasy. I think time would be better off working with a video game industry than fighting it. Or being a total douche bag as Jack is being here.

Sammy says:

please forgive me for the harsh language anyone, but jack…

shut the fuck up.

we’re tired of your crazy rambling. it’s not going anywhere. it’s never been going anywhere and it will never go anywhere.

Loudspeaker ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Jack I will say this… I used to at least respect you on the account that you saw your crusade against video games helping a sect of our society. However, with this latest stint it is blatently obvious you’re only out for yourself.

…all of your claims to be helping others, families, and children against violence in games have all been proven lies by this obvious sensationalist move to simply put yourself in the limelight again. Worse yet, it worked.

Sir you are the epimdemy (sp?) of what is truly wrong in American society right now.

I’m not going to call you names or insult you. You are showing your true colors and the world is picking up on it. MSNBC is only the beginning… Mark my words on that. Honestly you shouldn’t even have the right to call yourself a human being. Many are dead, more are wounded and scarred for life by a mentally ill individual, and now due to your actions this story will be played and the question of video games’ involvment in the tragedy will be hashed over and over while torturing the families of all those hurt that much longer.

You really need to seek psychological help to get over this obsession you have about proving that games are destroying society… Sir you have become that destroyer which you hate so much.

My condolences to those affected by the NIU shootings.

Cross-hair says:

Hello everybody. I would just like to say, as a Christian, that Jackoff Thompson makes a comPLETE mockery of us. I play videogames quite regularly, and I have never killed anyone or even (seriously) considered it. He claims to fight for “God’s Cause,” and I somewhat agree with what he’s trying to do, keeping videogames that are the most innapropriate out of the hands of people that are most influenced by it, but the end certainly doesn’t justify THESE kind of means. If Jack was half the man he claims to be, he would stop acting like a prick and do things in a non-legalistic and unselfish manner. Instead, he merely threatens to sue any and every person who gets in his way, and is completely indiscriminate as to who he harasses to fulfill his means. He is full of bullcrap in my opinion, and I feel that he does not represent me as a person or a man of Christian faith.

I trained my sniper skills on Halo 3!!! says:

I hate that man. It saddens me that he would do this during the time of mourning. So far, he’s blamed the DC sniper on Halo, saying that he trained with a sniper on the video game. Then there’s Columbine, VTech, and now NIU.

Forgive me if I failed to recognize any other cases of Jack’s anti-game idiocy.
    P.S. I trained my snip3r skillz on Halo.

GrimesFace says:

I’m sorry, but I am so fucking sick of this Jack Thompson bullshit.
    I mean, the guy’s a fucking moron. I can’t even listen to him talk for more than 30 seconds. I don’t mean to be insensitive, but I found it odd that in his Fox interview immediately following the NIU incident, when asked a question, he ignored it and started talking about video games,
    This guy … I don’t even know. The best of luck to him when he gets shot.

WarOtter ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Nah, he wouldn’t want a country full of brown people. They make him feel uncomfortable, all those damn native foreigners.

Roozle ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“Anonymous251 Says:

February 18th, 2008 at 3:34 pm
    as much as I would enjoy seeing JT being eaten by a pack of starved hyenas, I actually feel sorryy for him; He’s nothing more than a serial liar who’s moods fluctuate more than a pregnant woman, and is fighting for a “cause” that will definately never see the light of day in this country.

We are Anonymous.

We are legion.

We do not forgive.

We do not forget.

We do it for the lulz.

Expect Us Mr. Thompson

Anonymous saves the day?

Weighted Companion Cube ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Sigh, when’s he going to go back on TV so I can resume my drinking game.

“A Harvard study…” Drink!
    “Paducah, where I represented…” Drink!
    “murder simulator” Drink!
    “I’m sorry for everything I’ve done” Chug bottle of whiskey!

jarrod ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

when will jackie ever learn that the shooter did not kill because of violent video but because he didnt take he medication. the way jack has acted here just proves he does not give a shit about the people dead, he’s just looking for some publicity to support his feud with the gaming industry. i just hate it how Fox treats him like an expert, and then the dumbasses that believe everything they watch witness the garbage he says of tv, and then our beloved games get banned.

Wickedashtray ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I hope someone brings up the Jack Thompson who calls people “morons” and “idiots” the next time a debate comes up on network TV where he loves to portray himself as soft-spoken and reasonable.

Stop giving this guy space for discussion. he mails in his press releases expecting space to be dedicated to his antics and he can’t even treat site admin’s with a modicum of professional respect.

JustChris says:

The more Jack Thompson fails as a lawyer, the more he has to use media appearances and self-promotion though products (like his book) as an alternative source of income…There can’t be any way a lawyer can continue to make a living with such an embarrassing losing streak.

Matthew ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Oh yeah, and this Counter-Strike you keep banging on about, Jack? It’s a multiplayer game. Multiplayer. Every single enemy anyone ever shoots in that game is another real person also playing Counter-Strike. It has millions of active players and worldwide tournaments.

10,000 CS players could all become mass murderers and it still wouldn’t make a shred of statistical importance.

Avalith says:

…And NIU would have this information because… why?

Oh, right. They wouldn’t. Nice job, Jack. Universities don’t keep track of how many games someone played or even what games. Go ahead with your lawsuit if you want; you won’t win simply because you’re asking for information which the university simply won’t have unless he discussed it with a psychiatrist, at which point you’d need a subpoena because of HIPPA.

Ng ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

All the splinter groups come out after this kind of an event – i.e., the anti-gamers, anti-tv violence, anti-gun extremists. all of these folks want to make you believe that it was not the shooters fault – but instead some game or gun or tv show that made him do it. if you are fool you believe them. if you have been traumatized by the even and emotion has taken over you reason then you believe them. if you are tyrant at hear then you say you believe them. the NIU shooter was simply one sick puppy. from time to time these things will (and i repeat this) WILL happen. if the freaks don’t have guns they use bombs – if they can make the bomb the fly airplanes into buildings. if we work hard and try to watch out for them – by using some common sense we can likely reduce this by some of this but don’t expect it all to go away. the best we can do is help the victims and victim’s families of the NIU shooter and if you know anyone that could be another “steve k” talk to him and help him if you can as well.

Phoenix, Filmmaker says:

Anyone here about Jack Thompson challenging a fake Samuel L. Jackson blogger to a debate because he thought he was the real Sam Jackson. The judges are laughing their asses off right now.

Aoshi says:

Speaking as a gamer from Asia(yes, hi there, i lurk here but haven’t posted before), and seeing what’s been said in the email, i find it totally outrageous and crass!

i’ve gone from the days of Doom, Warcraft 2, Battlefield 1942, Counter-strike to Battlefield 2, CoD4 etc etc… and i don’t find myself having an ounce of violent tendencies towards other people.

But what i’d like to know is how NIU will give JT the information he “wants” via the Freedom of Information Act. i don’t see how they can reproduce the documents unless they had personal access to Steven Kazmierczak’s computer. i don’t think anyone would be stupid enough to play CS and leave traces of it on university computers.

And how does one rehearse on Counter-strike to kill? For one thing, realism in CS:S and CS1.6 don’t model real-life. Neither do most of the weapons. JT has GOT to do way better than that.

DarkTetsuya ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

So how can Jack from thousands of miles away perform such a Herculean psychology feat on a dead man?

When you’re as good at writing fiction as Jack is, it’s pretty easy actually. (If I actually gave a crap what happens to him after he’s disbarred, I’d say I wonder if he’d consider a career in fiction writing… but then I remember that I just don’t care, and move on to something else.)

Malevolent says:

Wow he really has no respect at all. I’m honeslty getting really sick of hearing this man to the point where his opinion really isn’t needed anymore.

InJM (at work!) says:

That’s a pretty decent bit of commentary from MSNBC. However, JT would say that Microsoft is probably paying for it and just another cog in the big conspiracy against him.

Good article though.

Hellfire says:

First what documents would the university’s public safety have on file about his video gaming habits?

Second, I hope that it is untrue that they just hand over the documents. They should hold onto them. Let a judge decide if Jack should get them. I really hate how some universities just hand over information to whoever asks for it (the RIAA comes to mind).

cppcrusader ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I had to see it for myself. I could barely believe it when a coworker just told me about it. This from the man that considers gamers socially inept.

I’m glad I’m out here in Cali now for GDC and not back in Orlando. I’d be afraid I might catch JT’s brand of stupid as it seems to be spreading like the flu judging from the stories that have gone up while I was traveling and at the conference.

Is it too much to hope that I missed him blowing up and getting banned again as well?

JT the Asshat says:

This asshat is at it again? This derangeg piece of garbage didn’t need a game to show him what to do! Not sure what your problem is jt but going after gamers is not the answer! MORON!

Erik ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Funky J

Don’t forget, Jack knows for a “fact” that not only did Kazmierczak play the original DOOM, but also with no psychology degree to call his own can deduce that it warped his mind, despite not having ever met him…

Even if the shooter was alive, and even with a licensed psychologist there would be no way to absolutely 100% diagnose if the games were the sole drive to commit this act.

Funky J ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The killer was 27.

Counterstrike came out in 2000, meaning he was an “adult” for the entire time the game was out.

Even if games were proven beyond a doubt to be harmful to children and were banned for all under 18 in the US, this person would have had access to it, being an American adult.

Jack, you haven’t got a leg to stand on, unless you’re prepared to attack the American constitution.

But if you do, can I suggest attacking the right to bare arms as the source of these problems rather than freedom of speech and expression…

Buckeye531 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Keith Olbermann said in an interview on CNN’s Reliable Sources that he does not like getting in argumentative interviews. A video of that interview is on YouTube

That being said. we have a better chance of Keith having an argumentative interview than Jack going anywhere near MSNBC again. He (Jack) is a back-ass coward.

Mattie ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I would LOVE to see Jack go on Kieth Olbermann and really get his ass handed to him. I doubt that’ll happen after he went on the Hardball Show after Virginia Tech.

Hackangel ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I just read the MSNBC article regarding Jack Thompson and only one word comes to mind: PWNED! At least let’s hope the newsmedia like MSNBC and CNN have learned their lesson regarding Thompson because I doubt Fixed News ever will.

Hackangel ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Yeah I’ve exchanged a few emails with Jason De laRocca about Jack Thompson. Mostly on how Jack Thompson refuses to deal with the real questions. Was quite the nice fellow.

Erik ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

…That is the most awesome news article ever. Thompson has been rather “served” by the very medium he whores himself out to.

OldCoot says:

There must be some programmers in here!

Why doesn’t someone write and post a free game about stalking and killing a psycho wanna-be-lawyer named Jack? (with no last name mentioned in the game)

Really give the a-hole something to whine about and focus on! :)

William says:

Would anybody else find it funny if somebody hacked into John Bruce’s computer and sent out a note saying:

Hey Jack, I’m in your account sharding your purplz (“evidence”)!

If Anonymous could pull that off, then I would be impressed. But as is, I am not overly impressed with their hacking skills as of late.

I love his quote: “Of course I sent it to them, you idiot.” yeah…real professional, and you wonder why we all think you are a joke and an idiot.

Shrike says:

To Anonymous:

Thank you for continuing your actions against Scientology. However, I believe we gamers are more numerous by far, and have this lone moron as well controlled as possible.

It would not be wise nor useful to involve Anonymous (as Anonymous) in this fight. As gamers, yes. Independent from Project Chanology, there are millions of gamers around America. Some are Anonymous. Many are not.

Neither we nor Anonymous can prevent Thompson from going to Fox News (Completely imbalanced) and lying with every ‘statement of fact’ he presents. We cannot change the dirty tactics of Rupert Murdock’s “News Network” (which has successfully defended its right to lie to the public).

We can communicate with our legislators and representatives to tell them the truth. We can defend our ‘hobbies’, our livings, our art forms, our speech from needless and small-minded repression.

This is an information war, but it is not one with a worthy opponent. His antics are reprehensible, but they do not destroy lives. He has shown himself in the past to be trying for martyrdom, inviting physical attack to justify his perverted morality, hoping that there will be some young gamer warped by a murder simulator that will shoot him while yelling about terminology from GTA or CounterStrike.

Jack cannot be attacked any more directly than the Florida bar already is attacking him. Jack is also making himself look completely foolish without any additional help. He has no lulz left beyond what he generates in completely contradicting himself and showing total ignorance of the issues.

We’ve got this one, Anonymous.
    This is a fight for gamers. And we are winning, despite sensationalism.

Our numbers grow every day, our spending power and voice increases.

Join us if you wish, but do so under the anonymity of your own names and faces. We are a political power, faceless by our numbers. Masks will not help, only the truth.

Shaun says:

I wonder what the odds are that one of the victims in this tragedy also played Counter strike, or any game for that matter. I wonder if any of them would be upset that Jack has taken their untimely deaths and is using them for his own personal advantage.

It saddens me that instead of mourning we are instead angered by this monster. I hope there is a greater power that Jack has to answer to when he dies.

Erik ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Right. The tabloid he got his “information” from said that Kazmierczak played Counter-Strike. Saying that he “rehearsed” is, what is the word I’m thinking of. Oh yes. Lying.

Thompson you are a lier. You have no respect for the dead and you take advantage of the living. Enjoy hell.

Black Manta ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Benji

You may have a point about that. Joystiq’s piece last month expressed kind of the same kind of sentiment; that Jack’s crusade and TV appearances are more of a way of generating his brand of propaganda in an effort to sway public opinion. Here’s the quote:

Of course, this all comes back to why Jack’s typical modus operandi is on the publicity front. Jack is a smart guy, and he knows that he will have ground to stand on if and only if the laws back him up. To that end, he needs to win the hearts and minds of the people in order to impact the lawmakers who may then put him in a position where the laws back him. While he may never win the hearts and minds of gamers, there are plenty of people out there who are swayed by anything from the misleading to the completely absurd. It’s an erosion process, not a Mythbusters-style explosion, and every negative game story is another wave over the rocks. Jack’s hopes also rest on the court taking a radical turn on its current trend of striking down every video game law on free speech grounds, which seems unlikely.

However, as you said, this may backfire on him for the reasons you cited. Showing up on TV before the bodies are cold really does appear crass and insensitive. You would have thought he would have learned that from VT. Then again, this is Jack we’re talking about.

Ghost coins ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I mean, let us be frank. If he did not want this information to go out to the masses, why would he constantly pepper us with it. He put it out to a public media outlet, the story should simply zip along the lines to everybody else, no? Or does he have some sort of clause where you can only post his innane ramblings here?

Ghost coins ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Why not turn stuff like this over to CNN or MSNBC. We can’t get a fair shake from Foxnews, but, by god, a story about a lawyer suing NIU days after the shooting to get records the cops might not even have yet, simply to further his own agenda would be good TV. I’m sure the Florida Bar would love to hear about Mr. Thompson trying to contact an agency that is, probably, owned by the school, thus would have legal representation through the school. Thereby, attempting to contact those individuals without going through the proper legal channels would be contacting an individual who is already being represented, a violation of pretty much every states Bar regulations and code of conduct. Just a thought.

Anon says:

More like he does read them all in full, but cherry picks them, and the few he does respond to he deliberatively ignores parts-of/all-of them.

The truth in my comments must have got to him, he replied to one part of it and ignored all the points I brought up/asked him.

And the one part he replied to, far as I remember, was with something along the lines of “LOL, I R SMARTE, UR NOT”…

Mark of Cain says:

To all who wish to engage in a rational conversation with Thompson, don’t try it. In the end it always ends up being like trying to convince a pack of mad, starving wolves not to eat you.

Kenji-sama ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’d just save the energy you use for typing, man.

All he’d see from that post is: “Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah I hate Jesus and children”

Oz ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Jack, you have reached new lows (and don’t pretend you dont read this site).

This guy was 27 YEARS OLD Thompson, what is YOUR solution? Ban video games? Ban movies? Ban everything that could have had ANYTHING remotley to make this guy deranged?

I love these conservatives, “guns are not the problem its TV, it’s games, it’s music”. They make good entertainment value. Almost like mental health is not an isssue.

Jack, this guy like most other people that participated in this stuff, they would have done it anyways, provided they have access to the weapons. This guy was recently medicated and was not taking his medication, did you even pay attention to that Jack?

Even if there is a connection that these nutbags play video games, we are talking a total of 20 of MILLIONS of players. They play games, listen to music, watch TV, goto school and/or work, eat, pay their bills.

The only differences are
    1) they would either bare an anger and/or grudge against society and/or their victims
    2) They are not mentally stable so they either lack the ability to determine between right and wrong and/or lack any morality.

People kill eachother every day over religion, you dont see anyone proposing, your bible is a much bigger motivation to kill than Grand Theft Auto (it also justifys violence for purley stupid reasons). But we dont see anyone banning bibles (outside strict Muslim nations) dont we?

This shit happens because some people are either born or become this way due to social or mental reasons, we cant stop it.. all we can do is try to reduce the times this happens, notice the signs and get people mental help and (sorry conservatives but you brought this on yourself) but making it difficult to aquire firearms will go a LONG way.

In Australia we dont have a “right to bare arms” in our consitution, it is very difficult to aquire firearms. And yet do you hear about school shootings here? Gun laws were tightened after the Port Auther Massacare and you know what? It woked!

It prevents those that should never own a firearm to begin with not be able to get their hands on them.

Even if (which I dont buy) games are a factor in mass shootings. Eventually you have a deranged man, with a gun with his hand. THOSE are the problems

Yuki says:

You SEE people, this is why Thompson needs to be stopped, by any means necessary.

You all keep telling my I’m wrong to suggest lawsuits against the man, yet here he is threatening to sue a school to promote his own fucking crusade. I saw turnabout is fair play The ESA and ECA should put this dirt bag in the poor house with some serious legal action.

Benji says:

I’m also wondering… JT’s ‘crusade’ was one of public perception more than actual right and wrong. His lawsuits alone won’t get games off the shelves. His intent was to use the threat of lawsuits to scare the game industry off, and to make enough public appearances about the ‘dangers’ of violent games that public opinion at large would turn against the game industry (because it is not whether or not you’re right, but whether or not people think you’re right.)

Given that, though, this heavy-handedness on the part of JT, I have to wonder if it might work against him in the way that the RIAA’s litigation campaign has worked against it. There may be potential gains in finding a game link here, but JT’s habit of showing up and crying about games before the bodies are cold may just piss off a lot of people. Media companies that don’t agree with his stance won’t air him anyway, and those that do agree with him aren’t really helping the cause by putting such an unsympathetic face on the anti-game movement.

DarknessDeku ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ go fish

Let’s be mature now

@ DarrelBT

We are not fighting a losing battle. I doubt anybody listened to Thompson. Games are not going downhill, the industry is increasing day by day. All these anti-gamers on tv and such only dent the industry a little bit.

Anon says:

Reminds me of a cretin net.kook, who even appears on the FOIA wiki….

Not like this is the first time Jack Thompson the massacre chaser made such demands, and ended up COMPLETELY WRONG.

If I am not provided with this information, I shall bring a civil action to secure these documents.
    Speaking of “civil,” legal threats and demanding them to pursue your personal agenda soon after such a tragic even sure isn’t… And considering the previous cases where he pulled “they must have destroyed the evidence!!!” excuse, is he going to repeatedly use the FOIA like that same kook?

Ah, he got the standard “whatever you say you jerk, we’ll humor you for now, and give you the same information we give all the others” form-letter response.

And I have just realized something, what if such games only made up %10 or less of the ones he played? I have the GTA games and some FPSes, but the amount of them I have only fall into that same percent. A good amount of my gaming cash & time is into RPGs and puzzle games, which people like Jack WILL DELIBERATELY IGNORE! To them the existent of one big name FPS and/or GTA = the cause of all our problems and what should be 100% focused on..

Black Manta ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ DarrelBT

No he didn’t! For all his wild accusations, they went nowhere. The review panel’s findings made him a liar. I haven’t been able to find anyone else who believes it. The only person Jack has managed to convince is himself.

The question one should really be asking is, which his license in danger, why would he run the risk of doing the very same things that got him in trouble in the first place? My theory is that he is so convinced of his “crusade” that he thought this incident was important enough risk his career. This was kind of borne out by his “Paul Revere” statement. We know he sees himself as some sort of town crier, always “beating his drum loudly in the public square.”

It also clearly shows his martyr complex, as he probably thinks if he loses his license, it will be worth it so long as he can further his message. He’ll probably be very disappointed then when he’s disbarred when he finds he’ll have nothing to show for it.

go fish says:

jack you dick head
    you only have two jobs
    1 make shure that your head is a dick
    2 make shure its attached to your neck

GP could you please send that to him for me
    he calls you an idiot ill call him a dick head

Matthew ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Re: The MSNBC article.

There is one thing ruining my enjoyment of that article. MSNBC is part of the Microsoft empire. Microsoft publishes Counter-Strike for the Xbox. What are the chances of Jack suggesting biased reporting?

DarrelBT says:

Sadly, my mom thinks people like JT and Fox News are living examples why Freedom of Speech does not work. Sure, we get to voice our opinions, but guess what, so are they, ad they are more powerful.

Look at the VT incident. Look how many people JT convinced that violent videogames did it even though they actually didn’t. In that retrospect, he WON.

We ARE fighting a losing battle.

ooftygoofty says:

I’ve predicted in the past that JT will eventually attempt an act of violence against someone in the video game industry. Let me fix that. JT is eventually (and soon) going to attempt an act of violence against the family member of a victim who didn’t hop on his bandwagon.

Zerodash ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“Thompson challenges Della Rocca to a series of gaming debates and explains that they each stand to net $3,000 or more per event. Della Rocca declined this money-making endeavor, though not before suggesting they instead agree to a free debate…which Thompson declined.”

…a class act all the way.

Diane ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

as per http://www.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/government/foia_illinois.html :

““…it is declared to be the public policy of the State of Illinois that all persons are entitled to full and complete information regarding the affairs of government […] Such access is necessary to enable the people to fulfill their duties of discussing public issues fully and freely, making informed political judgments and monitoring government to ensure that it is being conducted in the public interest.” (5 ILCS 140/1)

“Illinois’ Freedom of Information Act is intended to open the government to all citizens by guaranteeing access to governmental records in whatever form they are maintained. The Act maintains a clear preference for access to public documents while still protecting legitimate governmental interests and the privacy rights of individual citizens. The Office of the Attorney General is committed to the free exchange of information and to that end publishes a Guide to the Freedom of Information Act intended to help Illinoisans navigate their way through the Act.

“The principal mandate of the Act is found in subsection 3(a), which provides that “[e]ach public body shall make available to any person for inspection or copying all public records.” The remainder of the Act implements this requirement.”

[note: links to full & related documents at http://www.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/government/foia_illinois.html

Sooo…how does this relate to the personal activities of a non-governmental entity?

Father Time ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I wouldn’t really joke about that if I were you.

JustChris says:

“The truth is crazy people exist and all we can do is try to limit the harm they do to society.”

True, but even in the supposition that video games made him kill 5 people, we have to weigh in the returns of investment. Is it worth taxpayers’ money to make college campuses more secure if it means cutting down on a fraction of percentage of deaths? Life may be considered priceless but in reality you can’t put an infinite investment on everyone.

This, IMO, is a bigger problem than scapegoating of video games. It’s the lawmakers and politicians’ inability to measure the returns of investment for a proposed law. It’s why Jack Thompson wants to spend millions of dollars to shut down a company. It’s why Bush wants to spend billions of dollars on a Patriot Act, that at the most will make us 1% less likely to be bombarded by foreign enemies.

Richard ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“respond to him, as required by law, saying, “we have no official records in regards to the deceased’s video game playing. Now, go away.””

Seriously, I know everyone has said it, but I’m going to say it again.

1. Why would the school have records of what computer games he played?
    2. It is entirely inappropriate for Jack to interrupt their period of mourning to chase an ambulance through a disaster. I detect no shared mourning, no grief for what has occurred. I see a little man who wants to get back at the world for his own stupidity. How this man still has a law license is beyond me.

Jason says:

This man is a good example of a person whose death would not be a bad thing for society at all.

If only these mass shooters would go out with a real purpose and do society a favor by not only offing themselves but taking a low life or two with them, rather than the innocents they tend to take.

shady8x says:

I really wish psychos like this didn’t exist… I am refering to both the shooter and Jacko…

NightStalker160 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

What is a massacre anyway? People have suggested that the 5 people killed was not a massacre…

Massacre, IMO does not have anything to do with the number of people killed. Rather it is the nature of the event, someone walking into a classroom and unloading, whether he kills 1, 2, 5, 50, or 100 people is committing a MASSCRE.

Nanking, Rwanda, Somalia, Darfur, are something beyond a massacre, or a far more serious massacre.

JustChris says:

As for Jack’s delusions of grandeur, there’s a good psychological explanation.

There are connections between meta-cognitive abilities and actual performance. Those with greater meta-cognitive abilities tend to be more successful in their cognitive endeavors. And this meta-cognitive factor often ties in with intelligence and ignorance. In other words, a student who generally does poorly in a subject is more than likely to elevate his expectations more than the student that does better. There are essays online which explain experiments about this in detail. Jack Thompson seems to fall into the extreme example, if he were to participate in such an experiment.

Father Time ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“I hereby request production of copies of all documents that reveal Steven Kazmierczak’s play of violent video games,”

If documents such as those do exist, my guess is there will be very very few. Seriously, why would the college keep record of his video gaming habits? Wouldn’t that be an invasion of privacy? And if not why would the college choose to risk a court battle just to find out his video gaming style?

If Jack really wants to learn about his habits wouldn’t it make so much more sense to simply ask his roommates?

Perhaps there’s the fact that he couldn’t threaten his room mates with BS legal action if they didn’t comply.

We can only guess.

Colonel Finn says:

John Bruce is a sick dirty parasite, an ambulance chasing filthy little beggar-man. He deserves no pit, no anger, nothing that would commit him to memory. He should be forgotten like the turd in the drainpipe that he is.
    That is all.

Game Over.

AnonymousAnonymous says:

@ pen gun

Seems like that other anon is trying to call in a personal army attack. It’s not necessary. JT doesn’t have the clout that the Co$ has. JT’s lies haven’t killed anyone or taken their money. JT is a mildly annoying ambulance chaser and he’s dug a fine enough grave for himself without Anonymous needing to get involved.

JustChris says:

The American judicial system is cray-cray, and that’s why JT isn’t disbarred yet.

This act is shameless, sure, but it’s been foreshadowed by a previous lawsuit that targeted the chief of police in one county. Thompson demanded that the police look into a criminial’s history of video games. This latest attempt is deja-vu. But then again every single JT does now is very deja-vu.

jab49 says:

I feel no hatred for Jack Thompson only pity. He’s a sad sad man, I’ve known many of his type and I can’t feel anything but pity. He’s an unsuccessful self delusional mediocre man who can not accept his own mediocrity. I doubt highly he has many friends or close family. I’m sure he has some friends and family, but I doubt they respect him.

He reminds me of my old university roommate who was a mean underhanded and aggressive hermit, couldn’t make friends and was out and out malicious towards me because I was more successful than him (I found first year fairly easy, and spent a lot of time slacking off, where his fervent studying generally earned him mid 70s). In the end he tried to get me kicked out but ended up moving out, and a lot of people thought I should be angry at him, but I just felt sad. His life will be a serious of unfulfilling, self induced hardships and I doubt he’ll ever be really happy. How can we be mad at Jack Thompson? The poor man.

jadedcritic ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

OK I have to make some comments here:

“I hereby request production of copies of all documents that reveal Steven Kazmierczak’s play of violent video games”

(blink). You want documents that show him playing violent video games? (blink). Who, in hell’s bathroom thinks that Il-U actually tracks that? You think it shows up on his transcript? Think maybe it shows up on his report card? Counterstrike, A+?

I’ll bet Il-U has no idea what he played, least not in documentation. Sheesh. Maybe the word “Counterstrike” on a cocktail napkin. Anyone else besides me get the feeling that Jack-o tried to get his mental health records and they told him to shove it. So now, he’s picking on the college?

Also, in a slightly more evil turn. Last I’d heard. There were 5 people dead. Ever notice how lightly people use the term massacre these days? 5 dead happens in a really bad traffic accident, people don’t call it a massacre then. You want to see some bad stuff, hop over to Wikipedia and look up the massacre at Nanking. That’s a massacre. This is just a tragedy.

That said, I think I would have more respect for all of this if Jack-o would at least wait long enough for the survivors and their families to have a mourning/grieving period before he started in with the games-made-him-do-it!

BearDogg-X says:

Jacky Boy continues to prove there is no low to which he will not stoop.

I posted a quote a few days ago that said that Thompson should be ashamed of himself, that Northern Illinois’ pain is not his commodity, and that when NIU students go back to school changed forever, he’s going to chasing the next massacre that he helped create like the vulture he is, only instead of picking the remains of a rancid armadillo off a lonely Texas highway, he preys on the living.

That stain on the underwear of life Jack Thompson can go to hell.

Lurid says:

“MRK Says:

February 18th, 2008 at 5:49 pm
    So let this be a lesson to all you gamers out there. If you are going to commit mass murder, don’t use a gun. Use high explosives and claim you learned it from Hamas and CNN. “

Everyone knows you can use explosives in CS.

I’m utterly happy I don’t live in the country of backwards-striding =P

MRK ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Its not press from GamePolitics and similar sites that Jack Thompson cares about, its the cable news networks. He isn’t trying to sell his book to us, he is selling it to the populace at large who when they hear the word “Video Game” they think “Pac-Man”. Every time JT shows up on TV, the gaming public needs to send polite well written letters to said networks informing them of his lies. Only then will JT go away.

Chalts ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This… this is beyond shameful. Jack Thompson has gone from ‘idiot’ to ‘monster’ in my eyes with this stupid threat to sue the university where students are still grieving and most of the dead probably haven’t even been buried yet.

MRK ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Anonymous251 says:

@ pen gun

as you may be aware of already, Anonymous is currently focusing on dismantling Scientology, but keep an eye out for the video messages on YouTube.

DCOW ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

stop feeding the trolls people.

dont’ you get it that JT will use the worst comments here to demonize us? Like take WarOtter’s post. he’d say that he’s beign targeted by you putting up his address.

stop just posting meaningless curses and insults. I understand how much you hate Jack Thompson, but posting those opinions here, where he obviously trolls aroudn even without posting means your just giving him ways to demonize gamers and not helping the situation. instead rant on your own site, where JT obviously won’t go. Sure it’s not public, but ranting here just lets him try to make us into something we aren’t.

GregoriusH says:

Exactly what documents would exist? I doubt the guy was in the habit of recording, “Dear Diary, today I played CS for 43 minutes. Along with last week’s playtime of 78 minutes, I feel I am now capable of utilizing an assault rifle.”

Anonymous1367 says:

Threatening to subpoena a University for documents that may not even exist for his own “crusade” against violent video games while the university itself is attempting to pull itself up from a tragedy is one of the most base and shameless actions I have ever seen out of Jack Thompson.

This only goes to reinforce his public persona as a hypocritical, festering cesspool of moral bankruptcy.

AgnostoTheo ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

If this were from any lawyer but Jack, I’d be disgusted at their audacity. Since it’s Jack, I can only assume he’s desperate to be right this time before the collective backlash of all his accumulated stupid moves will hit him in the face like a sledgehammer.

Elomin ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’m sure Jack would love my university and the Creative Computer Games Design course I am on. We have UT2004, UT3, Medal of Honour, Doom and Far Cry. What is also better the Uni ask us at the end of each year what games we would like so we can make mods or just play them in LAN matches within class.

WarOtter ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Anyone in Florida within distance of his office? I’d love some pictures up on Flickr

John B. Thompson, Attorney at Law
    1172 S. Dixie Hwy., Suite 111
    Coral Gables, Florida 33146

relax guy ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

JT pwnd GP on teh internets.

you were all like “did u write this?” and then he was like “lol ya whose naem was on it stoopid.”

sad day.

minefield says:

massacre chaser massacre chaser massacre chaser massacre chaser massacre chaser massacre chaser massacre chaser massacre chaser massacre chaser……………………………………………………………………………………………………………..massacre chaser.

HATEJack says:

whats the matter, Jack? Got tired of chasing ambulances and figured you could just wait for the next school shooting to happen that screamed “Violent Video Games” to you? you want to help? then stop being a douche by suing every tom dick and harry, INC and help in a more constructive and postive way. Help educate and inform. Dont be the Attention Whore that you are!

from the washingtonpost.com.

“Kazmierczak grew up northwest of Chicago, in Elk Grove Village, and played saxophone in the school band. He spent time in a mental health center in his late teens, and police have said without elaboration that he had stopped taking some kind of medication in the days or weeks before the shooting.

His girlfriend, Jessica Baty, told CNN on Sunday that he had stopped taking an antidepressant about three weeks ago because “it made him feel like a zombie.” “

John Eddy ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“Of course I sent it to them, you idiot.

The NIU investigators have already responded, professionally,”

I love the fact that he calls you an idiot and then praises someone else for professional communication skills.

Jack, calling someone an idiot is not professional.

See, this is me being unprofessional:

Jack, you’re a complete and total idiot.

This is me being professional:

Jack, I have concerns about your ability to process the difference between professional and unprofessional communications.

James Collette says:

I can vouch for NIU because I used to be a student there, my brother is a current student there, and my mother works there. I will simply say that when it comes to getting things done, NIU has had a rather obscure pattern for being a little slow on the draw at times with certain projects. Other times, however, they get things done in the blink of an eye.

In this case, I’m going to go out on a limb and say they may be a little slow with this response because they do have a few other things going on right now. This is not a personal attack on NIU, it’s just that I know them a little more personally than most others here.

In other words, Mr. Thompson probably won’t get a response until sometime next year at the soonest. (Just kidding, it’s probably going to take more like a month.)

Paul G. says:

The irony is thicker than Jack’s skull.

He says this and that about videogames and how they de-sensitize people, but if you look at Jack, he really has no sensitivity whatsoever. To file a lawsuit and daydream about money while some of the victims have yet to be buried is staggering. No word or phrase in any language can accurately capture the disgust I feel towards Jack and others of his ilk. (Though Jack is the obvious ring leader.)

Just once and for all, I’d like the news channel to bring on someone like Hal or Jason Della Rocca and finally shame and destroy Jack and his talking points that he’s been using for years now.

Though I’m not holding my breath. Hopefully a disbarment will have to do.

NightStalker160 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I really, REALLY hope NIU takes this approach (which is perfectly legal);

They print out ALL this stuff (basically anything not confidential under the law) place it in a room (so just hundreds of thousands of pages of junk) and tell Jack

“Here ya go, you can look through this, but you aren’t allowed to take any of it with you…hope you brought a notebook and pen”

That would be perfectly legal and in any case quite a bit of what Jack is asking is probably covered under the Federal Education Rights Privacy Act (FERPA) so he’s not likely to get much of anything anyway.

Shoehorn O'Plenty ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Out of all of you who are currently enrolled in college, or who have been through college already, how many of you ever had to fill in a form or provide information regarding the video games you play?

Addresses, phone numbers, bank details for fee payment, I had to provide all of this, but never once did a questionnaire or interview from the college contain the question “So, what kind of video games do you play? Violent ones?”

You might as well try to sue a person’s local garage that fixes their car in an effort to get their exam result information. Or threaten an ice cream parlour they frequent because you want their medical records.

Never mind the incredible gall of the man in doing this in the first place. Try and forget the amazing display of bad taste and lack of compassion he has shown here. Ignore the insult to the grieving staff and students of the college. What you are left with is a stupid and pointless request, asking a entity for information is does not have.

NightStalker160 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Hey um Jack…sorry to tell you but that’s not how it works anymore.

So you’re going to file a lawsuit?

What is your cause of action?
    Are you sure you meet the pleading requirements (they’re higher than they were a couple of years ago…check your recent case law)
    Are you sure you can survive a motion to dismiss?
    Are you suing in federal or state court?
    Under what statute are you planning to file?
    Does that statute provide a private right of action?
    Who are you representing? Yourself?
    If you are representing someone, are you a member of the Illinois bar?
    If you are not, have you disclosed that to your client?

Bottom line…I have a better idea of how this is done than you, and I’m still in my first year of law school.

UhhKris says:

Ya know, I once saw something bright in the sky, so aliens MUST exist.
    There’s proof right there, because I’m apparently infallible and everything I say is fuckin’ law.
    See how this works, Jack?

I mean, who has the (lack of?) balls to threaten to sue a college that just lost a bunch of kids to a psycho who decided not to take his pills??
    Jack, you’re sinking lower, and lower, and lower, and fuckin’ lower in your tactics.

Pierre-Olivier ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Attacking a school like this? He’s really looking forward to his disbarment.

That’s really the worst move he ever made. Now, more peoples will call him a massacre chaser (because a class action about information so precise shows that he’s no altruist).

I don’t think he’ll sue. Each time he threatens to sue, he backs down and we never heard of it again. He just want to appear menacing (changing mask).

However, if he does sue, that will become almost personal. But for now, I just have to think and wait.

He’ll get disbarred soon enough. With a move like this, I don’t think he’ll be able to paperwork his way out.

Necromancist says:

I didn’t think he would go this far. Seriously. But now he’s proven that he has NO compassion for this kind of things. Well done Jack, enjoy your permanent stay in hell when you push the daisies.

Anonymous251 says:

We are Anonymous.

We are legion.

We do not forgive.

We do not forget.

We do it for the lulz.

Expect Us Mr. Thompson

Nitherean ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Why is JT *STILL* allowed to practice law?

Why is JT *STILL* not in a padded, LOCKED, jail-cell?

Its very sad tragedy for all those families. Last thing any of them, the police and the friends need….is some imbelice on a crusade for something unrelated to their feelings. Let the families and friends grieve in peace.

Icehawk ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I am honestly surprised that JBT would act the idiot while his legal career is in limbo. Though yes I would have to agree with him on a point (in theory anyways) agressive approach causes most to back down and give you what you want.

It is questionable what he intends to do with said history once he gets it (in due time, which one might hope to be a longish while) but I hope it proves there was not violent game history, afterall Steven Kazmierczak was 27 years of age and hence an adult. No save the kiddies here jackie so you might as well crawl back into your hole.

Must remember JBTs logic (or lack thereof). He is never wrong. When he is wrong he is/was not wrong or it is not an exact science (ie no one could be right)

DCOW ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@future inevitable jack thompson post:

your not winning, because videogames had nothing to do with this massacre, massacre chaser.

The simple fact that jack thompson continues to be a two-faced liar in the face of this tragedy proves that he is after nothing more than the destruction of the videogame industry. I’d love to see him proceed with civil action, because I think he’s lying about them responding. I still remember when he tried talking to some government figure in manhattan some time ago claiming that said government office was already helping him yet I emailed them to find they were having nothing to do with thompson.

nay. he may be an enemy, but saying that just gives him ammunition to use against us later by saying something to the effect of ‘these pissant gamers are so deranged that one even posted to piss on my grave when I die’

yes jack thompson is the lowest of the low. that does not mean we have to sink to his level, however impossible that may be.

MonkeyFace ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“Mattie Says:

February 18th, 2008 at 2:44 pm
    How much lower can this man sink? “

Well….he could always skin a few babys to make himself some clothes
    but other than that i dont think its possible(but i wouldnt put that baby thing past him)

DavCube ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Ken

No kidding. It’s like for some reason he’s looking at his law lisence and is mistaking it for a Secret Service badge or some crap.

Sparky112 says:

Jabrwock has it right. If NIU is smart, they’ll do just this:

1) accept his FOIA request, as per the law

2) let it sit for the legally allowable amount of time while they deal with the stuff that’s ACTUALLY IMPORTANT (like, say, helping the campus community to recover after a senseless tragedy)

3) respond to him, as required by law, saying, “we have no official records in regards to the deceased’s video game playing. Now, go away.”

Because, why the hell would they have any records of it? Does Jacko think that colleges maintain files on every student who has ever fired up anything from Wolfenstein 3D to GTA4? Get real. Even if they do have some records, what the hell is that supposed to prove? Basically every kid everywhere has played a violent video game, and as Cho Seung-Hui proved, you don’t have to play video games to be goddamned nutcase.

Also, unfortunately, disbarment is a pretty rare occurrence, so we might not get the pleasure of seeing this guy be professionally discredited in this way. I hope I’m wrong about this, though.

Roebuc says:

Not that I condone trivial law suits, in the end it just makes the tax payers pay and insurance rates to rise, however, can’t the game companies sue for slander? If he keeps sticking his head up his @$$ and coming out with outrageous unfounded remarks, can’t they beat him at his own game and start sueing for slander? Basically take away his bank and he can no longer do anything. Sue to have his licensed removed? Something along those lines….use a knife in a knife fight so to speak.

DavCube ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Mr. Thompson. I’ll say it once more.

Get that through your diamond-encrusted skull. The college has no right to tell what video games a LEGAL ADULT can and cannot buy.

That is all.

scot ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

note to jack – the ‘ Valentine’s Day Massacre ‘ has already been used to describe an event, way to link mob violence to so called ‘ video game ‘ violence.

Mr M says:

How many kids play ‘Cowboys and indians’, ‘Cops and Robbers’ or ‘Soldiers’ as a kid? Leave anyone with a weird desire to kill? No? Didn’t think so. Just healthy running around daft like kids do. We play to escape and do the things we wouldn’t in real life, why doesn’t someone explain this to Jack? The catalyst to send someone over the edge could be anything (Catcher in the Rye – Mark Chapman?). I’m so sick or hearing this anti game crap I might have to get into politics myself.

Scuzz McTuzz says:

Another well thought out move by the master of righteousness and good timing. Jack Thompson is showing us all how to become perfect, like him. He learns, improves, and wins. It’s a surefire strategy. He learned from VT he shouldn’t go soft on the grieving. Being correct has no time for tears.

Now he’s striking while they’re weak. You’ll all learn that this is the only right way to deal with tragedy

Broken Scope ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Internet records could tell you what someone played if you knew what you were looking for. However it wouldn’t stand in court because games can use the same ports.

Most schools keep a surprising amount of information on what has been accessed or sent over the school network on the way to the internet.

NovaBlack ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

”The killers in the two worst school massacres in history—in Erfurt, Germanay, and at Virginia Tech University—similarly trained on Counter-Strike to rehearse for their killing sprees.”

Canary Wundaboy ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

All these school shootings, horrible horrible crimes committed against innocent undeserving people, kids just getting on with their education, whom in no way deserve to be so brutally treated.

Now crazy Christian lawyers….that’s another story. =P

GPman says:

Kinda figured out why he has a big pull for gaming on this one.

We know he wants games out of hands of kids but since this guy was an adult it should have nothing to do with his cause, but it DOES.

Think of it like this, he is doing this to make a connection between the game and violence, this is old news. But if he makes the connection that adults are effected this way, then look how bad it must obviously be for kids with developing mind.

So this is very important to his cause and makes sense why he is pursuing it so intensely.

Sai ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Is it me, or did the New York Post only report that because that’s what he said on Faux News? Spreading misinformation and then using that misinformation to validate yourself? Sounds like Thompson, yeah.

And he’s still saying Cho played video games. Why would a university have records of how much any individual student played video games anyway?

jccalhoun graduate student ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Well that is it. Before we could kind of argue that Jack was eccentric, prone to exaggeration, prone to theatrics, and overzealous. Now he is an outright liar. He’s said things before that aren’t true like starting jackandgoliath.com like saying that he was invited to talk at the GDC but now he has directly gone against what he has always claimed.

He has always said that he didn’t want to ban violent videogames only ban the sale of them to minors. Now he is actively pursuing a case involving a 27 year old who was at least 18 when the game came out. If Jacko is pursuing this then there is only one reason: to assert that violent videogames are dangerous for anyone regardless of age. This directly contradicts everything he has ever said.

Jack Thompson is a liar.

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Gotta agree with Matt, this is the last few surfacing bubbles that remain of a man who convinced himself he was Jesus and tried to walk on water. Let the poor deranged man sink in peace.

GreatNocturn ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

i swear this man is satan’s reincarnate! suing a school that is in mourning over records of a alumni’s video game habits?! …this is just the worst thing ive seen yet…jack you are a man with no soul…no soul to speak of

scrumpmonkey ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

i think we sould just ignore the guy now like a ranting crazy man with a sign reading ‘the end is nigh’, hes gone beyond the mildly amusing phase towards mentaly unstable. if current reports are true he is soon to be disbarred, a fitting end

Matt says:

Let’s not step in the same mud as JT folks. Leave the name-calling and immaturity to the soon to be disbarred lawyer.

Seriously, he loves the hate and feeds on the insults from the comments here.

It is too bad he gets so much screen time here, he really isn’t worth the effort.

ZippyDSMlee ( User Karma: -1 ) says:

Morality has suffered a causality, a fatality in the cause of insanity….

JT has shown he’s nothing more than a attention seeker.

Vagrant says:

Seriously, what the hell?

In regards to Mr. Thompson’s ever-absent courtesies toward the gaming public: Grow up, you twit.

In regards to Mr. Thompson’s spinning of this tragedy to further his own twisted ends: You disgust me. At least give the victims time to mourn their losses, there will be plenty of time for your baseless accusations and childish name calling after they confront their grief.

GPman says:

What records would the school have of this anyway? Does this school actually keep records of what games people play? I imagine the students will be quite upset knowing such a file is being kept about them.

Here is an idea.

Can somebody who has good writing skills write the schools newspaper and let them know about what JT is trying to do in all this. I think the student population would love to know it is happening and if the school really will provide private information like that. Anybody up for it?

I believe this below is the school indy paper:

RollicRillics says:

hmm.. isn’t saying you’ll ‘get it out in due time” is one of the standard polite ways professionals use to say “You’re getting nothing, leave us alone.” ?

mogbert ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Why does he keep lying about videogame habits? I even have counter strike, but I never played it. It came with my copy of Hal Life 2, for free.

The guy at VTech may have played the game at some point in the past, but then again, most of the world has. If you add in Unreal Tournament and Quake (all flavors), you probably have a statistical fish in a barrel.

It almost as if he thinks that by telling the same lie over and over, it will become true. Maybe he is a Scient-

Jack Thompson is a douchbag says:

So what if he “rehearsed” on it. It didnt make him do it. Thats like saying he reharsed it by playing paintball or airsoft. Im surprised nobody blamed airsoft or paintball because this is as close as you can get to a shooting not something that is a cartoon and where you just push buttons. People just dont make sense. The gamers are way smarter than these “people”. How about you play a game for once and see how it is Fat Thompson.

Shavo says:

Jack is retarded a game is not possible way to train to kill someone. First there is no sence of empthy when playing a game, compared to killing something in real life. Second there is no way that this guy could play Counter strike for 9 years and then pull out a 12 guage and start blasing. Unless this guy mapped out the school and made a level devoted to going after the people, he could not have trained on a video game.

Brian says:

GameTwat: How do you account for the fact that every country in Europe has videogames, and a mere percentage of the school shootings?

Jack Thompson: Because we have more guns. Kind of simple.

Case closed?

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“Why would the university have information regarding the private life and personal entertainment habits of a graduate level student in student’s permanent record files?

How would this personal information, if it even existed, be considered accessible through the Freedom of Information act?”

Not through the NIU. He’s threatening the investigators. Stuff like search warrants are usually accessible through ATI.

Gaming habits, though, are likely considered personal enough that JT will have to wait for the results of the investigation, just like everyone else. Lawsuits will only piss off the investigators and make them even MORE polite when they tell him to shove off.

linenoise says:

Ya know, that response just sums up Jack..

“This is how you do this, which you wouldn’t know.”

Too funny. Everything he does seems to be unprofessional, unethical, for his own personal gain, and/or childish. And yet he claims to be doing this the right way (after calling someone an idiot in the previous paragraph, no less).

He needs to be disbarred for his own mental health – most likely he’ll see it as a conspiracy against him, but there’s a small chance that it might shake him up enough to see that HE is the one with the problem. Until that happens, he’s just a danger to everyone around.

lumi ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’m pretty sure someone (maybe even I have, at some point?) has asked this question before, but here it goes.

Is there any way to make JT’s correspondence with Dennis, and on this site, available to the relevant legal parties? Conduct unbecoming an officer of the court is the least of his offences displayed therein, and he really shouldn’t be allowed to keep doing this, particularly with his own trial going right now.

Benji says:

I’m not sure, but I thought it was mentioned the last time a school shooting happened and JT asked for basically the same information – documents and information relating to an ongoing police investigation are immune from FOIA requests.

Khabi ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

So let me get this right?

27 year old plays video games, goes and shoots up a school. JT blames it on Counter Strike (his old favorite). When pointed out that the shooter is legally old enough to buy the game, JT says basically ‘it takes time, and he would have been playing it long ago’ (paraphrased of course). So Counter Strike came out in 1999 (wikipedia) if he’s 27 right now, its a good guess to say he was 18 when the game came out if I’m doing my math right (depending on what month he was born of course). What does that teach us..

But of course, lets forget all about his girlfriend breaking up with him, and that he stopped taking his medication, as that could have *NOTHING* to do with it.

I mean really Jack, I almost kinda supported you in keeping violent games out of kids hands. Then you go and do this… Was your entire crusade a lie?

Hackangel ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’m thinking that Jack Thompson would be a non-problem anywhere outside of the U.S. because after all, countries like Canada play as much violent videogames but there’s not a lot of school shooting in Canada. No massacre to chase would make Jack Thompson pointless and sad. Not that he isn’t in U.S. too.

WarOtter ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Good lord, it’s like watching a bad horror movie. You already know almost exactly when the maniac is going to strike, and you can think of a million solutions to defeating the maniac, but no matter how hard you scream, the person in the movie just walks right into the trap.

‘The suspense is terrible. I hope it lasts’

~the1jeffy says:

I blame Valentine’s Day. But I’m willing to admit that this is my personal distaste for the day, rather than an actual cause to the massacre.

See how that works, Jack?

Verbinator ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

First question:

Second question:

Thrid question:

Why hasn’t this man been sued into oblivion for harassment, malicious prosecution, libel, slander, and defamation of character?

Cattleprod ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

No offense, but I think Jack was right to call you an idiot. That question you asked implied he would be capable of tact and decency. Have you learned nothing?

Shrike says:

For crying out loud, can’t we get a result from the florida bar?

We may not be able to revoke his license as a professional jerk, but any blow to his credibility would be wonderful.

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“Pursuant to the Illinois Freedom of Information Act, I hereby request production of copies of all documents that reveal Steven Kazmierczak’s play of violent video games, including but not limited to the use of his computer to play Counter-Strike, which he apparently, according to the New York Post, used to rehearse for his Valentine’s Day Massacre at NIU…

The NIU investigators have already responded, professionally, and told me they will get me this information in due time. This is how you do this, which you wouldn’t know.”

Kudos to them for responding professionally. Which is more than you’re capable of…

I can see it now.

“Dear Mr. Thompson,
    We found nothing indicating he played video games,
    Have a nice day,
    NIU Investigators”

“Dear Jerk-Wipes-In-Pay-of-Child-Molestors,
    I said give me the proof! Gimme! You stupid idiots! Don’t you know who you’re dealing with! Conspiracy! I was on TV! I’ll sue! Cover-up! You’re all video game players! Admit it! I know the President! He’s on my speed-dial! He’ll arrest you for not doing your job!
    Govern yourself accordingly,

Adam N says:

Goddamn, this guy annoys the hell out of me. How snobbish do you have to be to say “This is how you do this, which you wouldn’t know.”? Jesus Christ man, get over yourself. You’re a third rate lawyer who’d be chasing ambulances if you hadn’t latched yourself, leech style, to the video games industry.

JK ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

So he gave up on Rockstar and is probably going for Valve now.

JT’s gonna have one heck of a time trying to prove that Counter-Strike trains anyone to shoot a gun.

Gift ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Oh another thought… has anyone ever found the CS maps used for the alleged training?

If people really are using games to train before gunning down innocents in public places wouldn’t they train on maps accurately modelling the places they rampage through?

Just thinking burden of proof here, if CS and alike really are used to train shouldn’t Jack rigorously demonstrate the fact? Otherwise what’s to differentiate training from simply playing a game at some point before acting out a tragedy?

Chard says:

Sick. Just sick, Jack. You have no claim to humanity or morals.

Please will they just disbar him already, knock him down a couple of rungs, even if he’ll never fall off the ladder.

Gift ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Can’t say I’m surprised. A Freedom of information act request isn’t really a big deal, even if the timing is insensitive.

Not sure what the university would be able to tell him though, I doubt they monitor what games people play. I suppose they might have some traffic logs at most, but what would that tell anyone?

Oh and why is it Jack is frequently so rude? Isn’t being up for disbarring message enough for the man? Honestly, he behaves like a petulant teenager… I can only surmise that he doesn’t really believe his own rhetoric, after all if all of us were truly trained on murder simulators (sic) wouldn’t he be at least a little more courteous? *roll-eyes*

jcoit ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“Of course I sent it to them, you idiot.”
    You have more grounds to sue him over that, than he does to sue NIU. The school just went through a tragic ordeal the last thing they need to to go to court over nothing at all. Jack Thompson is such a D-Bag.
    Furthermore, Kazmierczak was playing a freakin’ video game! He was not training or rehearsing. He was trying to stop Terrorists from planting a fucking bomb at Site A for the sheer enjoyment of the game which he probably played with friends and dorm mates to unwind.
    Hey Jacko, try questioning his mental records or social disorders before you attack a legal adults right to play video games.

nightwng2000 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Perverse, Obscene, and abusive. That is the only way to describe John Bruce’s actions.

Here is the worst part of his actions:
    As reported by Gaming Today, John Bruce actually sent a letter to the NIU President asking to be invited to spew his version of what he preceives, in his guttertrash mind, to be the reason for the shooting.
    Now he threatens to sue NIU if he doesn’t get his way.

Moreover, he LIED straight out about the NY Post story. The story author claimed to interview an old roommate. At NO POINT IN THE STORY did it claim that Steven used the game to train to commit the massacre. Moreover, other intelligent reports indicated that many students in the dorm had played the same game. Yet only one individual committed this act. And yet further, more responsible journalists report that the hard drives are missing from the computers confiscated, or so the last reports stated.

So HOW does he intend to obtain ANY information from those computers?

Also, let us note that he has previously claimed to have had contact with investigators and even DAs in certain cases. Robida anyone? I seem to recall the DA stating that it would have been illegal for any investigator to share information with John Bruce and the DA’s office also stated that THEY had provided NO information to him as well.

John Bruce claims to be an “Elder” in his church (Key Biscayne Baptist Church, wasn’t it?). I wonder how the leaders of his church, whichever it may be, feel about him lying and deceiving others in the name of his God as well as Mentally Molesting the individuals, families, and the communities that suffer these tragedies just to push his personal, religious, and/or political beliefs? And I don’t mean what HE thinks they think. I mean if they know the Truth, The WHOLE Truth, And Nothing But The Truth about his antics and how THEY feel about them.

NW2K software

Steve ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I think it’s safe to say at this point that Jack Thompson is clinically deranged. His grasp on reality has gone from slipping, to non-existent. It’s simply a matter of time before he’s forced into retirement by the Florida Bar.

Zerodash ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Jack, the guy is 27- of course he played games.

Here is what happens now:

1) JT opens lawsuit against Microsoft, Rockstar, Sony (his faves) for the deaths.

2) JT’s suit ignores the fact that the guy was a diagnosed mental case.

3) Lawsuit is thrown out, JT sues the judge, acts like a child, rants about the corrupt games industry.

4) Another act of violence is committed by someone under 40, JT gets a massive erection and calls Fox News to masturbate his ego.

5) Rinse and repeat.

You’re Soooooooooo cute when you pretent to be important, Jack :)

Void Munashii ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Don’t you understand? Jack needs this. He’s been out of the limelight since his trial, and he needs to get back on his horse. He was looking like a horrible imitation of “About Schmidt”, wandering around unshaven in his bathrobe unsure of what to do with himself while Cooper Lawrence was getting the attention that should have been his.

Suddenly God drops this right in hiw lap. This is what Jack feeds on, the misery of others. He’s like some misery vampire/attention whore who needs a big media friendly massacre to make him feel whole. The pain and attention give him strength an make him feel whole again.

Anonymous says:

Pathetic. That’s all I can say about Jacko at this point. I think at this point the best thing is to get him all the media attention we can because he reveals himself to be the ambulance chasing slime ball he truly is with every word that falls from his mouth.

I can’t believe that he is still claiming that Cho “trained” on Counter Strike to pull of the VTech massaacre. Cho was rather unique among males his age in that he played almost no video games. The man is just blatently lying at this point. And it is disgusting that he is wasting the time of those involved with the investigation of this case. Furthermore it is appauling that he is once again exploiting a tragedy to generate irrational emotional support for his increasingly bizzare personal crusade. I just wish that the news media would point out that every credible investigation of media effects would suggest that Thompson’s claims are simply ludicrous. The problem is that Thompson is such an insignificant fringe lunatic that most of the accademic community wouldn’t even consider him to be worth their time.

vasudean says:

*shakes head in disgust* Now this douchebag has gone too far. Threatening to sue NIU if he doesn’t get information about an alumni’s video game habits is just plain sick. What I think is if he does go to court over something like this, I think he should have his BAR which allows him to practice law taken away. PERMANENTLY!!! Also, calling someone an idiot for asking a legitimate question is just begging to get hit. Insulting someone’s intelligence is wrong in the first place and like I said, I think he should be revoked of his ability to practice law forever.

BaronJuJu ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Gee…what a shock.

I hope the school goes after JT for harassment. Can the families sue him for wasting investigation efforts? I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t try to contact the families to see if he could represent them in a lawsuit. If they say no he will still “sue on their behalf”.

Thomas D. says:

“‘’The killers in the two worst school massacres in history—in Erfurt, Germanay, and at Virginia Tech University—similarly trained on Counter-Strike to rehearse for their killing sprees.’’

For the record: Neither did Steinhäuser in Erfurt. That was something the press made up: Steinhäuser didn’t even have internet so he was not even able to play Counter Strike.

Twin-Skies ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’m tempted to say something about JT or the Wesboro group…but that’d be bad form.

My heart goes out to NIU and the family members of those affected. They don’t deserve to be propped up as propaganda by the so-called political/moral activists crawling out of the woodwork.

My condolences.

I’m telling you, JT is going to snap an go on a shooting rampage. He is so adamant about chasing these phantoms that he has lost touch with reality. He is obsessed with gamers to the point that he is likely going to harm a few of us. Watch your heads guys.

Kobra ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I wouldn’t really joke about that if I were you.

He’s one nut in a whole slew of people, just like the shooters (only not nearly as bad) “

I already publish my opinions on a website… if they wanted to bitch at me, they already would have done it :P.

Papa Midnight ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

And any sensible judge will not waste his / her time with such sensationalist claims and immediate dismiss any civil proceedings brought on by John Bruce Thompson to save valuable tax dollars.

Boycott Jack Thompson says:

Hey guys
    Why do we still report news on this guy. Mr. Thompson is about as sane as Britney Spears and Paris Hilton. He has become a well known figure only through the publicity he has created in the media. The solution to this problem is to stop reporting news on Jack Thompson. If he sends emails and letters, just don’t even post them. This monster has been brought to life only due to his critics. Really, if it wasn’t for us, nobody would know who he is, or take any advice based on his opinions.

vellocet says:

Jack Thompson have you no shame? (do I even need to ask?)

Anyhow… something interesting has happened. I know that Cho didn’t play videogames and the JT’s whole basis is an incorrect story on the Washington Post website. But he’s been saying it so much that I’m actually starting to believe that Cho played counterstrike… weird…

Black Manta ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Jack can hammer and wail away at the investigators all he wants. Like what someone else said, “in due time” usually means “You’ll get it just like everyone else: when we’re done the investigation in concluded and we release that info to the public.”

Jack’s obviously learned nothing from the time he tried a similar tactic when he tried to insert himself into the Jacob Robida murder case. He did the same thing too with the Oklahoma mall shooting by threatening the chief of police in a similar fashion; a move that evidently went nowhere or else we’d have heard about it.

As has been indicated, Jack’s behavior could be considered interfering with an investigation; a move which could land him in hot water. Let’s hope Judge Tunis is paying attention. More wood for the fire as it were.

Still, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to warn others about him. Writing the Northern Star sounds good. And someone should help Mark of Cain in sounding the alarm. I think we could do a better job at playing Paul Revere than Jack does! 😉

Ken ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Oh no! Run for your lives! It’s Jack Thompson and his dreaded lawsuit! Can’t he ever do anything original? Him suing people for no reason is so predictable.

Matin(UK) says:

Wow, this really is horrible.
    I’m surprised he hasn’t asked for access to the dead bodies, you never know, maybe there’s a copy of Counter Strike or GTA somewhere inside Kazmierczak body.
    Seriously though, I cant imagine a more disgusting act following such a tragedy. I’m sure the officials have bigger things to worry about than the demands of a deranged attention seeking man-child.
    Prayers go to the families of the victims…