MSNBC Rips Thompson Over NIU Claims, But He’s Busy Arguing with Fake Actor

Writing for MSNBC, contributor Winda Benedetti casts a critical eye toward Miami attorney Jack Thompson’s claims that the NIU rampage was sparked by a grown man’s video game play. From Benedetti’s piece:

On Friday, police were still struggling to figure out why… But Thompson had it all figured out. Faster than you can say wild speculation and reckless sensationalism, he leapt in front of Fox News cameras and suggested that video games were to blame.

Meanwhile, Thompson obsequiously responded to a parody article, posted in style of Samuel L. Jackson, apparently believing it to be the real thing:

Mr. Jackson, I enjoyed your post about NIU and about me. Unfortunately, you could fit what you know about school shootings and their causes in a sleeve of Titleist golf balls. I’m a six handicap, and would love to play you a match anywhere anytime.

More importantly, Mr. Jackson, I saw you and the Jack Thompson spoof at the Spike TV Video Game Awards Show. Very funny, really.

Here’s a proposal: Why don’t you debate me on this issue… Saw you in Black Snake Moan this weekend. I thought you deserved an Oscar for your performance. Brilliant.

Thompson later posted a follow-up indicating that he understood the Samuel L. Jackson post was a fake, but not before he circulated his original response to GamePolitics and Kotaku.

UPDATE: Thompson claims that he has been libeled by the MSNBC article and plans to sue.

Cattleprod ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

He was just trying to suck up to Sam Jackson. Once he figured out he had no chance of making a public appearance with the real actor, he suddenly changed his tune and added Jackson back to his list of people destroying civilization

Rey ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Jack Thompson is a fraud, a fake, a con artist, a scam, who will use the death of his mom, his wife, his son, and the victims of 9-11 to further his viewpoint.

Toxicity² ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Pretty embarrassing fuckup there.

Odd that Thompson would be so nice to Jackson, when Jackson was the voice for Officer Tenpenny in GTA:SA.

Another interesting thing is that apparently Jack Thompson enjoyed Black Snake Moan, which is rated R for “strong sexual content, language, some violence and drug use,”. So films intended for adults are okay, but games intended for adults aren’t?

Anonymous says:

LOL, Jack you are not fooling anyone with your “I knew it was a fake all along, I was just playing along with them, SEE my other role-playing comments!?” type damage control.

When are you going to learn that you can **NOT** get away with such stuff anymore? And that whatever you do to try and change history, you usually end up worse then before(i.e. the wiki article, which did have POV issues, got cleared up and fixed. Now it reads like a professional encyclopedia article that has references to back it up…).

I also have to say you must have an unhealthy obsession with the internet with the time you spend on that, writing PRs, etc, and the fact that you actually believed it was really him.

Anywho says:

I think every article on this site would look perfectly normal if at the bottom there was a not reading: Update: Jack Thompson plans to sue.

In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if he did send a not on his plans to sue to Denis after every article is posted. But they all just get ignored unless the article really did mention JT.

GryphonOsiris ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I always knew that JT was two tacos short of a combination plate… but damn he must be hitting the cheap scotch now because this is just out-right WTF? Jack threatening someone with libel is like Adolph Hitler being angry at Joseph Stalin for mass murder. (yes I know, Goodwin’s law, moving on).

I mean really, how many times has he made knowingly false statements, lied about people, games, companies, facts, judges, police officers, lawyers and politicians? Can any of us count that high without a super computer? In fact can anyone count a time that he didn’t make slanderous or libelous statements at all? It like breathing for him, and for him to say that someone else has committed libel shows just how deluded of a nut job egotist he is. He has many times said that his wife was a far better lawyer than him; if this were true she’d tell him that what he is doing is not only hurting him, but hurting their whole family because of the impact his fraudulence has on all their reputations.

I’m sorry Jack-O but there is no sympathy for you from any judge, lawyer, or politician. All your ‘allies’ have distanced themselves from you, hell even Larouche won’t touch you and they are 2 degrees away from being you. I’d take that as a sign that it’s not rocking the boat that they are afraid of, it’s you. To quote an old saying from the French Revolution “The closer you are to Robespiere, the closer one gets to the guiotine.” You’re Robespiere Jack, and the guiotine is the end of your career.

wheelchairman2 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

i think there’s a greater risk of Jack Thompson causing violence with gamers rather than the games themselves… lol

@ dante… very professional don’t you think?

Matriculated says:

@ Captain Fong

When Jack realized it was fake he declined because he believes the real Samuel L Jackson is just as responsible for gun deaths as video games.

Dog_Welder ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

*smacks forehead*

If you compare my signature from 10 years ago, versus my signature from today, you would think I was signing everything through forgery, too.

You can NOT complete a handwriting analysis based entirely on 2 sample signatures. You just can’t. (This is why the Zodiac Killer was never brought to justice — they couldn’t acquire enough handwriting samples of the suspect.)

This is Thompson truly grasping at straws to save his sorry hide.

That was a very good find, Matriculated.

jccalhoun graduate student ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“It’s nice to see Jack Thompson getting his ass kicked elsewhere:

It seems he’s been doing EVERYTHING in order to stop his disbarment. “

Man, that is good reading.
    Jacko is trying to get all but two of the judges on the Florida Supreme Court thrown out of office because they are alleged to not have signed some loyalty oath.
    He isn’t making any friends at all in the legal system.

Rey ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Everything this guy says is Slander now he’s trying to take on NBC?

Next this ass will sue At&t due to violent cell phone games leading to car wrecks.

Go ahead Jack sue me I dare you.

Majestic_12_x ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Apparently, Thompson and “Samuel L. Jackson” began coordinating an actual debate (!). Unfortunately, after some work had already been done, Jack FINALLY figure out that the Samuel L. Jackson he had been talking to was not the real one, he backed out (of course).

Needless to say, Jack finally figuring out that “Samuel L. Jackson” was fake is akin to finding out that everyone had celebrated your birthday, yesterday, without you ever knowing.

DavCube ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Aoshi

Because he’s a ‘born-again Christian.’

And just like how he mistakes his law lisence as a secret service badge so that he feels justified ‘doing’ his vigilante ‘stings,’ he pretty much equates himself to being the second coming. (Which i wouldn’t be surprised if he literally claims when he gets disbarred. Up until now he’s compared himself to Jesus at least a dozen times…)

Aoshi says:

So much for the rule of law *throws the book out of the window*

Frankly… I’d like to see JT duke it out in a one-on-one fight against game executives and yes, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. Or one-on-many. It’d be nice to see him getting the wrong end of the stick for once.

And i noticed he seems to like to sue for almost anything. Why?

Twin-Skies ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Actually, from what I’ve been taught at journ school, it is libel to spread the truth IF it’s proven that the action is done with malicious intent.

Rukon Zappa says:

here,s something everyone might enjoy – from the FL Law blog I mentioned the other day:

02/19/2008 ORDER-OTHER SUBSTANTIVE DY Respondent’s Verified Motion to Vacate this Court’s Two Orders on the Basis of The Florida Bar’s Fraud, filed with this Court on December 26, 2007, is hereby denied. Upon consideration of respondent’s petitions for writ of mandamus and petitions for writ of prohibition, filed with this Court on December 31, 2007, on January 7, 2008, on January 9, 2008, on January 18, 2008, on January 28, 2008, and on February 11, 2008, and all supplements thereto, it is ordered that all petitions are hereby denied. (SEE SC07-80 TO VIEW ORDER)

02/19/2008 ORDER-SHOW CAUSE TO: JOHN BRUCE THOMPSON It appears to the Court that you have abused the legal system by submitting numerous frivolous and inappropriate filings in this Court. Therefore, it is ordered that you shall show cause on or before March 5, 2008, why this Court should not find that you have abused the legal system process and impose upon you a sanction for abusing the legal system, including, but not limited to directing the Clerk of this Court to reject for filing any future pleadings, petitions, motions, letters, documents, or other filings submitted to this Court by you unless signed by a member of The Florida Bar other than yourself. (SEE SC07-80 TO VIEW ORDER AND FULL TEXT)

Anon says:

HAHAHAH, Mr. First Amendment sure doesn’t like it when people speak the truth.

Not that I am surprised that he is at it again with the suing threats because someone didn’t say 200% nice things about him…

This is what I was talking about Jack, your egotistical attention whoring is your worse enemy. If you are going around chasing such massacres with glee and screaming at the top of your lungs “I KNEW IT, VIDEO GAMES DID IT, I WAS RIGHT, I’M SMART, BUY MY BOOK! BUY MY BOOK!! BUY MY…,” you do deserve such unflattering and intense scrutiny for being such a insensitive clod!

And while I hate the site, I do congratulate the Kotaku staffers for their breakdown of the BS Jack says on the air.

Same for you, what mail order “credited academy” did you get your “School Shooting Expert” degree? And is it the same place you got your “officially declared sane” certificate?

I’m a six handicap, and would love to play you a match anywhere anytime.
    Speaking of which, did falling for such a thing “retarded” you? Sure you can play the “I knew it all along” card, but I think this wasn’t the first –or will be the last– time you have done something like this….

Here’s a proposal: Why don’t you debate me on this issue…
    LOL, I bet there was the sound of an old cash register going off in Jack greedy and disturbed little mind. Probably thought it would be as easy as those other “debaters” he picked, plus planed on exploiting SJ’s fame.

Falindraun ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

In order for it to be libel (printed defamation) Mr. Jack Thompson must first have a “good reputation.” Which he most certainly does not considering he is about to be disbarred by the Florida Bar Association.

Oz ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“Thompson claims that he has been libeled by the MSNBC article and plans to sue. “

Jack, Jack, Jack you are such a moron I love you being around just because you are pure comedy value.

The guy spoke the truth, both here AND Virgina Tech you go onto Fox (the only people that will take you seriously) and blame video games before any investigation really begins. You jump the gun and you make these tragedys all about you and your crucade.

Not only are you a moron, but your a self-centered, egotistical, immoral, no good, evil c**t. Your actions speak for themselves. Deal with it

Gabriel Celesta ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

You guys say it would be funny if JT challenged Samuel L. Jackson?

Well, Jackson did voice-act a Grand Theft Auto character. (To be exact, Officer Frank Tenpenny, the main antagonist in GTA: San Andreas)

It would be *REALLY* hilarious if JT challenged Jackson just because of that.

Pierre-Olivier ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Now did I miss something? I couldn’t see any comments at 12:30.

Don’t tell me Pandralisk is back. We need Pandralisk (and Thompson) as we need a diarrhea. By the way, what he said this time (his comments doesn’t appear) ?

In a strange way, I hope Thompson will sue. Because this time, he won’t be able to play martyr. In other words, let him strike the first blow and he will not be able to pass for a victim.

And we already know how dense Thompson is. He’s such an opportunist.

Avalith says:

Again we see the rare, exotic anti-video game attorney in his natural habitat: Kicking and screaming because someone analyzed his statements and found lies and threatening to do what he does worst, sue.

Loudspeaker ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Hey Jack… Just an FYI since I live up here in the Microsoft neck of the woods.

Microsoft has more lawyers than you. I hope you’re hiding a law firm in your back pocket that spans a large, multi-story office building.

But hey, don’t take my word on what happens when you poke the 800 lbs gorilla with a stick… Just ask Netscape.

GoodRobotUs says:

Quick Jack! There was a shooting on the 13th of February where 15 year old Lawrence King was shot in the head in front of his entire class!!

Oh wait, he was shot for ‘being gay’, what are the odds we don’t hear a word from Thompson about [it]that[/i] shooting…

Hans Moleman says:

Hey Jack, a wrote a piece calling you a blackhearted massacre chaser, and compared the amount of sensationalism you and faux emit to the nipplegate incident…
    Spread some love this way… i mean its no different to the MSNBC article.

kurisu7885 says:

Why do you think he posts it in the first place? He WANTS to be attacked. He wants the death threats and harassment so he can jail as many gamers as he can.

go fish says:

i sent him a email asking him why he responded to a spoof
    i told him to send me his worst
    i cant wait till tomorrow
    what a MOROM i thought he couldnt get any more stupid

[…] 1. Anti-gaming lunatic Jack Thompson rushes to blame NIU shootings on video games; 2. Among the resulting critiques is a satirical letter purporting to be from Samuel L. Jackson condemning Thompson on a blog; 3. Thompson takes the bait and responds as if it is actually Jackson, then a few minutes later realizes he’s been duped and retracts (possibly after seeing the sidebar banner saying “these are not real”). […]

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

It’s pretty obvious what happened to be honest. Thompson read the ‘fake’ Jackson post, thinking it to be the real Jackson, the dollar signs appeared in his eyes, and because of them, he didn’t see the ‘these blogs are not real’ sign until after he had responded. He the responded to his own post in order to pretend that he knew all along….

What Jack wanted was a nice high profile debate with someone famous about his favourite money-making scheme, it’s yet more proof of how obviously Thompson is far more about profit than protection.

I used to think that he was just misguided, but he isn’t, he’s a leech, he knows as well as we do that Video Games are not the problem, I’m certain of that, but he’s desperately trying to make money by exploiting the situation, gamers and children in general.

Sean ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I doubt that was Pandralisk, because if it was him doing a parody we would have seen a “follow our hateful, genocidal, baby murdering God” line somewhere in there.

Mad_Scientist ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

If Pandralisk was allowed to comment again, he most likely is just using parody, as Mnementh2230 suggested. It will become clear enough who that Pandralisk is in time, I’m sure.

@The article

I love that MSNBC article. And I’m not too concerned about Thompson’s libel threats, I don’t see anything in that article that could really be considered libel. Thompson’s a public figure and therefore opens himself up to criticism from various places.

Dog_Welder ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“Thompson claims that he has been libeled by the MSNBC article and plans to sue. ”

I see no libel in that article.

1) It’s an opinion piece. You are allowed to have opinions, even if they run contrary to Jack Thompson and his ego.
    2) Jack is a public figure.

It will be fun to see Jack try to get a lawyer in New York to take this case, seeing as how he doesn’t have a license to practice there.

What Jack really needs is an enema.

Rav3 says:

wasnt pandralisk banned or something?

as for jack… i think of him like a forum troll i just read his posts and marvel at how someone can be so demented.

If what he says is true i can probably do a coup de tat (sp?) singlehandedly considering i started playing videogames with the atari 2600 when i was 3.

dont judge me it was a stick and a button, all i cared was pretty colors moving.

Uh... ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“UPDATE: Thompson claims that he has been libeled by the MSNBC article and plans to sue.”

AgnostoTheo ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Incedentally, since this article is a commentary by a contributer, isn’t MSNBC immune to any lawsuit by Jack? Anyone? >.> I don’t know the law that well.

BaronJuJu ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Forgot to give props to Hal Halpin, I see MSNBC used a quote from him in the story! Grats!

ECA getting face time like this is always a good thing!

SFM Hobbes says:

Now you too can own the first-ever LIBEL SIMULATOR(tm), where you can use your WII to mimic the deadly hand-motions like OBJECTION!!!.
    Now you can train like a pro in your own home without facing the wrath of people who are not stupid!

Rated J for you-know-who

BaronJuJu ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Just posted this and the MSNBC story to I asked that folks share it with other gaming sites. Also, we as gamers need to send in a word of thanks to MSNBC and Winda Benedetti for finally exposing this massacre profiteer to the rest of the nation.

Time to use our gaming voices! We have done it recently with the Mass Effect fiasco story, time to let folks know that we are tired of games taking the rap and folks like Thompson making a profit off of misinformation and other peoples misery.

Spread the word!

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“Thompson claims that he has been libeled by the MSNBC article and plans to sue.”

Ha! I like to see MSNBC slap him silly (legally speaking) for that one. This should be entertaining.

Sorry Jackie Boy, but opinion is 100% protected under the 1st Amendment. Calling you an ambulance chaser in an op-ed… is … opinion… duh.

I know you don’t like the 1st Amendment when it protects OTHER people, but tough cookies…

BOBBY ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

You have to wonder if JT is on the side of Gun lobbiest. Instead of asking the real question of how someone that needed medication to keep him rational, was able to obtain a gun. JT says violent games are to blame, even though most hardcore gamers do not own nor have any firearms. I myself play violent games and have guns, but my state of mind is far from that of a raged induced, anti-socialistic, mental case nut job with a gun.

You have to think about this. Why would someone risk their job and reputation for something that is not even a fact. Who is paying him to be a scapegoat is the question we should ask.

Paul ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I really wish Jacko e-mailed Samuel L. Jackson directly, so that he’d get a response from the real deal.
    Samuel L. Jackson: “I’ve had it with these motherfucking attorney’s blaming the motherfucking videogames!”

Rukon Zappa says:

Let me get something straight here….calling out Jack on his lies and misstatements is grounds for libel, but his comparing Halpin to Goebbels and Lowenstein to Saddam is the honest to goodness truth thats beyond reproach in his little mind? Thats just…stunning.

chadachada(123) ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’ve thought about that before, he’s like the perfect villain (almost put “super” in front of villain…). And somehow he always comes back for the not-as-good

JustChris says:

Jack’s predictable tactics, combined with the failure to learn from his own profession AND display it publicly, is almost like something out of a bad superhero movie. He’s an evil genius who, despite his glaring flaws, continues to “live” another day. I have to keep convincing myself that I’m not dreaming because a character like Jack Thompson should only have this much fame in movie-land. It’s almost cartoonish.

attackgypsy ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

So now Miami Jack is going to sue two of the biggest (to steal a term from the Shadowrun RPG) Mega-Corps in the world. Microsoft and GE (who owns NBC).

If he still has a license to practice law by the time this case comes to court, they’re gonna destroy him. They have armies of lawyers.

Just waiting for the portly female to begin the finale.

Vinzent says:

When JT gets disbarred, is there a chance that his press releases will no longer be news worthy? He is a pathetic excuse for a human being and I just don’t need to feel this much anger this early in the workday (OMFG Jack, some of us gamers gots jobs!)

I can’t help but think that this is a perfect opportunity for the other major news networks to point out what sensationalist crap Fox News is shoveling. A little bit of real journalism can go a long way towards discrediting them.

Oni ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

You also kinda have to remember who MSNBC is in bed with here. Microsoft.

While it was refreshing to read the reviews of somebody who honestly seems to think that John is as full of shit as every gamer on the planet knows he is, I’m left feeling a little bittersweet knowing that it could just be MS pulling the strings.

Salen says:

This has to be one of my favorite news articles this year. Seriously, its great to see someone actually called JT on all the stuff he’s done to date. Heheh. Its interesting that he wants to sue, although proving that she isn’t saying the truth is gunna be hard, even for him.

Nice to see the reporter giving Kotaku and GP a nice little plug as well, with pointing out some of the absurdity of JT.

As for the fact he wanted to make money off the debate… If he was really so high and uppity, he should have said he’d have donated it to helping the folks who were suffering and not just doing it for a paycheck.

linenoise says:

Holy crap! Mainstream media reporting facts instead of a sensationalist story? And not only that, calling out someone for outright lying to the media on another channel?? My faith in reporters has been partially restored! The fact that it’s Jackie getting slapped by the reported makes it sweeter.

Poor Jack, he’s just upset that once he’s discredited, he can no longer make money debating things he knows nothing about.

jadedcritic ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

As an aside comment for the folks who are upset because GP continues to give Jack-o air time/publicity. It’s actually been a remarkably jack-free last few months. These last few days he’s popped up again. I can only assume he’ll recede into the midst again once the furor over il-u dies down and whatever happened at is bar trail goes public. I’m sticking to my guns. There’s an episode of south park in which they name John Edwards as the biggest douche in the universe for a variety of reasons. John Bruce Thompson is a massive douche as well for many of the same reasons.

Zerodash ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Cattleprod

I think Norm Kent actually successfully sued JT for libel/slander before and was talking about doing so again after the gay porn incident.

Cattleprod ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Hey, remember when JT called Norm Kent an extortionist for saying “stop libeling me or I’ll sue you for libel”? Good times, good time. And Kent actually had a valid case, so… who’s the extortionist?

Ahh, it’s too bad I’m not famous enough to be sued by Jack. I would pay anything if my lawyer would stand up and shout ‘OBJECTION!’ during a trial with JT. Hey, with the amount of lawsuits Jack hands out, I might just be next.

Apparrently, lying is only bad if someone other than Jack does it. Hell, they reference his interview on Fox that he still claims Cho was a gamer.

monte ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Is it libel… well lets see…
    rushing on to fox news? well he was on there like within 24 hours of the tragedy… so yes
    Speculation and recklesssensationalism? well Jack had no proof games were involved, thus it was speculation, and he does HIGHLY over exagerate (read: LIE) about the dangers of video games, thus there was reckless sensationalism
    Self Promotion? well, he did plug in his book and probobly mention his “success” in fighting video games aswell as sending the news of him being on fox news all over the internet, so ya, there was self promotion… hell just the act of appearing on TV is self-promotion in and of itself.

Not to mention he has not shown any geninune feelings towards what happened… only police officers or reporters are people that MUST find out information as soon as possible… everyone else can just sit back and take their time… y’know let those who suffer have their moment of silence. Instead Jack does everything possibel to get as much info out of the college not taking into account how people are feeling now… most people in Jack’s position would have waited atleast a few days… not to mention ask politely for information instead threatening the school with a law suit.

Ya, the story is pretty spot on, not a word of Libel to be found anywhere

mogbert ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Is it too late to change my valantine? My wife would understand.

But seriously, folks. There needs to be a way that we can all pool $1 or 50 cents each and buy Winda Benedetti 24 long stem, red roses.

They needs to see that the gamer nation doesn’t just lash out when we have been wronged, but can feel genuine affection when someone shows intelligence and can call a spade a spade.

GrimesFace says:

Jack, Jack, Jack. I don’t need violent video games to turn me into a malicious mass-murderer.

I think that listening to you talk will have just the same effect.

DragonSage ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Thompson is falling apart. Fast.

I think all of the stress of constantly being wrong and having to deal with *gasp* the intellectual responses and organizational skills of gamers has finally caused him to suffer a meltdown of epic proportions. I would feel sorry for him. Yet I don’t, as do a majority of people. He takes things into a completely warped perspective (VT, NIU), all for self-advertisement, and for this he can not be forgiven.

Paul ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Yep, Jacko can insult and verbally attack anyone he wants, but the second someone criticizes him in the least, it’s libel. This is merely more proof that Jack has a serious inferiority complex, and other signs of mental unhealthiness. And no, I’m not saying that he’s a physco, but he definitely has issues.

CK20XX says:

This reminds of “Rue Britannia”, an episode of The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show where Boris Badenov is hired to kill Bullwinkle so he won’t collect on inheritance. He goes to extremes to kill Bullwinkle, including writing a nasty letter.

Boris: “How many U’s in ‘moose’?”
    Natasha: “Let’s see, moose… two.”

But even that misfires when the letter is delivered to the wrong “Moose”, specifically a muscle-bound weightlifter. Seconds later we see Boris in bandages and casts, talking to his employers.

Boris: “Boys, I have a proposition. I pay you, you kill moose.”
    Employer 1: “Dash it all, I thought you said you were an expert.”
    Boris: “I am! At not killing moose!”

King of Fiji ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Now if they could only fire that one anchor for the “Hilary Clinton is pimping out her daughter to the super delgates.” then I could really love MSNBC for this and not having double standards.

Halo3Guy ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Fox news always runs his stories and lets him on their show, but MSNBC is always the one who argues with him and denies his claims to have any truth. I’m sticking to watching MSNBC.

mbkerr says:

If he’s suing for libel because of what MSNBC reported about his actions, then surely we could sue him for libel and slander, since he’s constantly referring to gamers as “trained killers with no lives” and tries to “prove” this with “facts.”

Trevor McGee says:

Jack Thompson, plain and simple, is a vile man. He’s a vulture hovering over an accident scene just waiting for a corpse to be exposed to pick at it’s flesh. Jack Thompson is, in no uncertain terms, a parasite. I hope justice is served and he is disbarred and forbid to practice law ever again.

NightStalker160 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

He’s going to sue for libel? Libel?

Ummmm…Jack, did you even PASS law school? You remember this whole string of case law about public figures being pretty much…well…unable to do that?

God I hope this guy gets thrown in jail for contempt for doing this, please, please, please.

Shrike says:

I wonder if the judge will look at the evidence, then force Jack to pay all legal fees.

I hope this means Jack’s really sweating bullets about the bar’s decision, trying to get in some last thrashing motions to try salvaging his career after years of failure.

Benji says:

@MonkeyFace: Curiously, if they only called him a pedophile, they could be liable for defamation. But if they called him a drug-dealing pedophile nazi, they’re probably safer from defamation because that’s so absurd as to be beyond belief.

As it is, the most objectionable thing the article says is that JT’s more interested in shameless self-promotion than actually protecting anyone. I’m pretty sure that’ll still count as fair commentary on a public figure. So, yeah, I’d like to see what basis JT finds for libel, because nothing jumps out to me. So JT is either incredibly astute in finding libel where none of us can… or incredibly dense in finding libel where there is none at all.

NovaBlack ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

so .. can somebody tell me how many cases jack has won in th last 5 years.

actually seriously, like we all know he hasnt done too well, but is it like win 5 lose 5, or is it like Lose 10 win 0?

Zerodash ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Wow, Jack- you have a history of slandering people, liken people to Saddam, and a string of slanderous statements about MANY people.

Now you are suing for libel?

Whats the matter, big man, can’t take what you dish out? What kind of pansy are you?

MrKenyon ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Papa Midnight:

I believe he set it up so that everyone and their freaking mother asks the question about his damn phone number on a daily basis. Seriously. Stopped being funny after the first 20 times.

Back on the main topic, though…wow…there are no words that describe the idiocy that I’m seeing here. The man not only thinks that a spoof article is really being made by Samuel L. Jackson, but has the stones to challenge him to a debate. Then on top of that, turns around and threatens to sue one of the few actual journalists out there with the brains to call him out on his bull.

Jack, I knew you were a few fries short of a Happy Meal, but damn…

Shoehorn O'Plenty ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Forgot this thought when I was writing my earlier post.

This is actually a fantastic turn of events for those who have been insulted by him in the past and who know the truth about him.

This might actually be the first time a really mainstream source of news has highlighted this boob and shown him up for the attention-seeking, exploitative liar that he is. It certainly seems to have rattled him, judging by his jump to sue in response. I imagine that he thought that there would always be willing listeners in the media who would take his BS as gospel truth and use it for extra drama whenever a tragedy like this occurs. Now it seems as though these media organisations are figuring out that the Wizard is just a sad old man behind a curtain…

Positive though it is, it would be nothing compared to the ultimate media expose on Jack Thompson: a FOX News special on his lies :) Surely with FOX’s reporting habits regarding video games and Thompson’s constant lies, wouldn’t they cancel each other out and come up with the truth?

MonkeyFace ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

oh of course he plans to sue. pointless lawsuites are his thing, and without them he would not be so obviously mental.

msnbc just became my favorite news show.

Yah know his lawsuite might have something behind it if, you know, we didnt have freedom of the press…hell msnbc could call him a drugdealingpedofilenazi and walk away fresh as daisys

n0e ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“The attorney-turned-anti-video-game crusader has what can only be described as a breathtaking genius for transforming ghastly national tragedies into shining moments of self promotion.”

This guy is my hero for finally having the stuff to say the truth instead of calling him an ‘expert’ in the industry.

Weighted Companion Cube ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Open mouth, insert foot?

I am tired of these muthafuckin’ attorneys hatin’ on my muthfuckin’ games!

Anyone? No? Bueller?

Dan ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Oh, it’s you. I thought I had accidentally hit the post button.
    It’s like back in high school. In almost every class I was in there was at least one other Dan.

kyleJCrb ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Gotta love that when a mainstream news organization calls Thompson on his lies, he starts to pull the lawsuit card. What’s wrong, Jack? Can’t handle the truth?

Rabidkeebler ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Okay, I’m not a lawyer and even I know libel won’t stand here. There are issues with libel when you place yourself in the public sphere. There are also issues when it is commentary (opinion) and not stated as an actual fact. Plus if he can sue for libel then we could sue for libel for all the times he has called us killers and his statements that we don’t care about the dead.

Papa Midnight ( User Karma: 0 ) says:
    UPDATE: Thompson claims that he has been libeled by the MSNBC article and plans to sue”

Oh please please please let me be named in the suit! I did, after all, post comments in the discussion.

Name me as well! Then I can counter-sue for intent to defame!

nightwng2000 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“UPDATE: Thompson claims that he has been libeled by the MSNBC article and plans to sue. “

I can’t wait to be sworn to tell The Truth, The WHOLE Truth, And Nothing But The Truth. Moreover, I can’t wait to have the transcript publicized worldwide, ending John Bruce bid for the creation of a Theocratic Dictatorship built on lies and deceit.

OOOooooo… I’m all aquiver.

NW2K Software

Erik ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Heh, yeah good luck with that. Its not libel if its true.

Austin Lewis ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I have been all across this world, but very rarely have I encountered stupidity on such a level.

As I read this article while standing up at my kitchen, I had to sit down; the level of stupidity was so blinding that for a minute, I forgot how to stand.

Black Manta ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

To Jack, I say go ahead and sue. Don’t like it when you’re hoisted by your petard, do you? I can’t wait for Micrsoft to countersue you into oblivion!

Dan ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

In his message to Kotaku, he publicly posed his number and email. And judging from many of the other posts there, his phone would have been ringing off the hook all night, if he hadn’t apparently left it off the hook.

All I can say is he’d better not start with the harassment threats. What did he think would happen?

Also, I did not participate in any prank calling.

MaskedPixelante ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Doesn’t really mean anything. The sensationalism will continue, and anyone with an opposing view will be swiftly silenced by Fox News.

Awol ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Is this a news article I can actually write this on.

Ok back to my normal, if not sometimes incorrect, proper grammar.

Great article glad someone has decided to check out Jack more and respond with logic.

BearDogg-X says:

Would have been cool if the real Samuel L. Jackson really wrote that blog.

Jack should be more worried about Charles Barkley(Barkley called people like Jacky Boy “fake Christians” on CNN a few days ago).

Matriculated says:

Great find Rukon.

So if he’s founf guilty does that mean he’ll no longer be able to file lawsuits unless he gets approval from the Bar first (highly unlikely considering how frivilous all his cases are)?

Dog_Welder ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@AgnostoTheo — MSNBC is running the article on their website. If there was libel present (there isn’t, but let’s just say there is), they would be held accountable for it.

Mnementh2230 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Mark of Cain

Unless something has changed drastically recently, Pandralisk was parodying a church figure. Last I knew, he was a devout athiest who saw religion’s influence in EVERYTHING.

DavCube ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Well, that’ll make about a dozen cases that he’ll never get to pursue when he gets disbarred in the coming months.

This man is truly living in his own fantasy world.

Mark of Cain says:

Okay now I’m scared, that Pandralisk can’t be the same anti-relgious bigot from before can it. What’s with the change in prespectitive? And if it’s not the same guy then who are you?
    I was for a time a Catholic but was excommicated for believing that the law of the state is above church law and I am also partial to Adoptionism.
    Some of us are fine living our without a supreme being.
    Oh and if I was a hedonist why would I be returning to NIU before the shitstorm has cleared in its entirety?

DarkTetsuya ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’m hoping I’m not the only one who thought of ‘A few good men’ there. 😛

I’m surprised he hasn’t choked to death on it by this point…

Well when the ‘opinion’ doesn’t coincide with what JT perceives as the ‘truth’, then yeah.

I think he’s 0 and… well however many he’s attempted, I forget.

@Tyler Baumbarger:

Well, Sonic *can* get pretty frustrating, but driving someone to go on a rampage? Even *I* thought that sounded ridiculous.

Still, ‘the enemy of our enemy’ and all that.

Because Jack says so? What do you *mean* ‘that’s not good enough’?

Ken ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Oh yay, another lawsuit. How original. If anyone remembers, did Jack claim that the Amish school shooter back in 2006 played “violent video games”?

DaKaveman says:

Looks like wako Jacko is fishing for retirement funds again. The sad part is i can understand why he is doing this…gets money and attention. Face it when people think of video games and there critics Jack pops up, but to do it in such an asinine way with absolutly no supporting evidence in front of millions is just pathetic. I figure its got to be because he is so old thats about the only people who take him seriously an more. Older people who are out of touch with the mainstream and think that video games are the devil.

Shoehorn O'Plenty ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I would love to see his reasons for finding the article libelous. It doesn’t agree with him maybe? It reports on his actions and finds them contemptable? There’s nothing libelous about the truth, and that combined with the opinion of the writer is nothing actionable. At no point does he state anything about Thompson that is no true or is not qualified as being an opinion.

I would like for him to continue with this libel suit however, just to see him get defeated in court once again, adding to the flawless scoreline of common sense and reality vs Jack Thompson.

NovaBlack ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

lol he plans to sue for libel…

lol the irony of JT sueing for the fact he feels information represented about him isnt true…

i mean come on seriously? how comes he is allowed to reel off whatever crap he likes?