In Second Life, a Tribute to Fallen British Soldiers

The Telegraph reports on a touching memorial to British soldiers killed while serving in Iraq and Afghanistan.

A virtual military graveyard in an area of SL known as Tribute Island features memorials to about 250 British war dead. Nik Hewitt of lasting tribute, creator of the memorial, said:

We’ve replicated individual tribute markers to all the UK soldiers and military personnel who’ve lost their lives in the continuing conflicts…

We have seen avatars – characters created by serving military personnel – wandering through the graves looking for fallen comrades.

CycleDog says:

Went to this place last night, and I gotta say it’s got a hell of a different feel to the rest of SL.

It ‘s a hell of a thing to ‘stand there’ amongst all those headstones and see just how many of these people have died in this crazy conflict. I really think the medium helps put it in visual context. 300 markers looks like individuals, where else could you see it like this? I think the most impressive thing for me was the sense of honest ‘respect’. Honestly @Gibble, go check this in person. I was well surprised.

Oh yeah, and @Connor, theres memorials there to bomb victims those killed in atrocities and stuff. Put your money where your month is and ask them to place a memorial to Bloody Sunday if your so hot about it…

Altair says:

@Everyone else:

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived.” — George Patton

wheelchairman2 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Well done to those people that put the time and effort in to make this
    I have great respect for our servicemen and are saddened by their deaths.

They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
    we will remember them.

Tony ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Interesting video… yucky music though (I hate when people stick music over youtube videos).

As a second life showcase it does show up second life’s limitatons rather well – it doesn’t seem to be getting more than about 5fps when it’s showing that number of objects at once… that engine seriously needs upgrading. The sunset effect was rather nice – was that added in postproduction? Last time I tried second life (about 6 months ago) it only supported a blue sky… of course they could have added it since.

The picture of pavarotti didn’t work.. clearly stuck onto an existing building.. they should have edited that out as it kind of spoiled a rather well done video sequence.

Gibble says:

I don’t support this. Second Life doesn’t have the most appropriate atmosphere in the world to have such a memorial that’s supposed to carry meaning behind it.

Obviously someone worked hard on island, and sure, it’s a just cause, but really? Second Life?

Pierre-Olivier ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I hate war, but I don’t hate soldiers.

The reason I hate war is that so many great mens die in those. To hate soldiers is to hate guns in a shooting.

May their soul rest in peace.

Thomas ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Kudos to those setting it up, by the way, the music was probably chosen because its a song often sung at funerals.

@Conner… go to hell.

Andy says:

@ Connor-These brave fallen men were very likely not even BORN at the time of Bloody Sunday let alone have anything to do with it.

How about Aldershot, Harrods, Brightion Hotel, Victoria Station, London Bridge Station, St.Mary’s Axe, Bishopsgate, Sussex Arms, Warington, South Quay, Manchester for example?

So kindly keep your bitter keyboard warrior gob shut unless you have anything positive to contribute.