In Iraq, Soldiers Become Gamers During Down Time

February 24, 2008 -
Weekend America reporter Adam Allington, on assignment with U.S. troops in Anbar Province, reports that video games are a very popular leisure time activity.
Video game sales are way up [among soldiers]... In a converted Iraqi Republican Guard barracks, Sergeant David Carr and several of his buddies are huddled around a hard-to-find Nintendo Wii.

"We play it when we get off of work almost every night," Carr says... At the moment however, Carr isn't playing a shoot-em-up game. Right now he's got something a little more relaxing, "Hooked! Real Motion Fishing."

GP: This story reminds me that the Fun For Our Troops non-profit organization works to send games and systems to our military personnel serving overseas.
Posted in

Comments

I talked to a guy a few months ago who was back from his first tour over there. He said they don't get new games in very often, so they try to find games with lots of content (he mentioned Disgaea), then just play the hell out of them.

@ All

Just to be clear, I wasnt suggesting that it was a good idea. I just wonder how the story would have been written by a journalist had they been playing such titles.

I would have expected a "Troops unwind on virtual death simulator" headline.

Send them some Harvest Moon? Hahahaha! But hey, i see the future in gaming to combad PTSD.

What I wanna know is, would this story have a different slant if they were all playing COD4 or Counterstrike....

@Canary Wudaboy

No soldier plays Shooters right after combat. It screws with your mind.

It would be extremely interesting if a study came out showing that playing videogames reduced the effects of PTSD or the chances of getting it. Jack and friends then would have a really tough time fighting a military backed device.

I remember jsut a few weeks ago a soldier came home from iraq and started playing CoD4. He ended up having a relapse of his time at iraq and running off into the streets thinking he was under attack. So yea I'd have to agree playing FPS right after your time at iraq isn't a very good thing to do.

@ Aaron Lockard,

That depends on you and on what happened to you.

A lot.

Wow, somebody send them some good games. Playing Hooked should be considered torture. Yeouch!

So hang on. If videogames are helping the troops relax, this means that Jack Thompson is actually aiding the terrorists and putting our troops in danger.

[...] Source: Weekend America, GamePolitics [...]

@BlackIce
I played Final Fantasy. It was nearly as fucked up. And if playing COD4 sends you into a relapse, you have deep problems and a weak psyche to start with. I love that game. But what I think is the best, and this is just me now, is when I play on XBOX live and end up playing with 11 year old retarded kids who can't stop rapping into the mic long enough to shoot someone, and then talk a lot of shit when you call them out on the level of suck they brought to the table.

I believe some"Relapse"2-playerboardgames are on thier way to some of our troops, I hope they are recieved well,Search Google video and see this game,Fun!! and can learn in less than 4-Minutes, Enjoy!

Poll

Will limiting Steam services to accounts that have spent at least $5 eliminate spammers?:

Andrew EisenI tinyURL'd it. The world is safe!04/24/2015 - 10:23pm
Andrew EisenWell, that is indeed crappy and nonsensical.04/24/2015 - 3:45pm
Andrew EisenFine but do you recall ANY details at all?04/24/2015 - 3:38pm
Andrew EisenI know there's not a lot of room in the Shout box but goodness you're being vague.04/24/2015 - 3:26pm
Andrew EisenGreat, but that STILL doesn't tell me what she said, why she was attacked (or what the attack was) or what "standard line" she's following. Details, man. Details!04/24/2015 - 3:25pm
Andrew EisenOr what the heck Nina White (someone else I've never heard of) is actually referring to.04/24/2015 - 3:24pm
Matthew Wilson@AE she is a game dev. she used to do stuff with hormanix and now works with https://outact.net/#!/?page_id=2 she will often engage and debate both side.04/24/2015 - 3:23pm
Andrew Eisen...following.04/24/2015 - 3:23pm
Andrew EisenYou mean focus on stopping the bad behavior of those who are doing it rather than condemning all the people that associate with them? Great. But I still don't know who Emma Clarkson is, what she said, why she was attacked or what "standard line" she's04/24/2015 - 3:23pm