College Republicans Protest Iraqi Artist’s Jihad Game Mod

An Iraqi video artist’s  "Virtual Jihadi" exhibit is stirring controversy at the Rensselaer Polytechnical Institute campus in Troy, New York.

The artist, Wafaa Bilal, a faculty member at the Art Institute of Chicago, modded an Al Qaeda propaganda video game, Night of Bush Capturing, in order to craft a message about his views on the inhumanity of the ongoing war. From the RPI website:

Bilal casts himself as a suicide-bomber in the game (left). After learning of the real-life death of his brother in the war, he is recruited by Al Qaeda to join the hunt for Bush.

But RPI’s College Republicans have expressed outrage over Bilal’s appearance, terming the RPI Arts Department, which is sponsoring the event, "a terrorist safehaven:"

Our tuition dollars are hard at work in the RPI arts department which is proudly hosting a video game debut that simultaneously embraces Islamic terrorism and advocates the killing of the American President…

This is something RPI should be ashamed to have its name even mentioned with, let alone be sponsoring. Hopefully, the folks in the arts department will get enough phone calls from outraged alumni and come to their senses.

The College Republicans also express concern that Bilal’s appearance is part of a program funded by a New York State grant.

Via: Albany Times-Union

GP: A number of GamePolitics readers attend RPI. We’d love to have them weigh in via comments…

UPDATE: Geeks Are Sexy has a lengthy interview with Bilal, who said:

I don’t know if it crosses a moral line, because it’s still virtual, right? So, if games like “Call of Duty” or other games are fine, why should this be any different?

…I think it’s a strategy of engagement. I don’t see it as crossing the line at all – but rather calling attention to something really disturbing, this game and the Web site, and the rhetoric as well…

We’re going to see more and more of games as a tool to capitalize on political issues, and as people, and the medium, become more sophisticated, we’re going to see more and more of this.

Bennett Beeny says:

Nancy and SienaAlum probably need to do some research into the US constitution.  I think it would be interesting if US citizens were held to the same standard as immigrants who go through the citizenship tests – I doubt many would pass.  If we’re talking about deportation I think those who don’t think the constitution is important ought to be first over the border.

SienaAlum says:

I am outraged and appalled by Bilal’s “video game”. My brother in law played football for RPI and I was considering it myself for graduate school. I will not support RPI or the city of Troy until the exhibit is removed. This is the kind of garbage that is happening on our watch. We need to put an end to this nonsense. Bilal should be deported immediately. He is coward that hides behind freedom of speech. I should make a video game “The night of Bilal’s capturing”. In the game, you are an FBI who is looking for Bilal. When you find him, you escort him on a plane to Gitmo Bay. You then have to use a series of “tactics” to withdraw information from Bilal. If you use the right tactics, Bilal is deported and he gives you the exact location of Bin Laden. Note—Bilal is not killed in the game, I will not stoop to his low level.

nancy burlingame says:

Thank GOD for people (aka Republicans) who stand up for America. I think that wafaa should return to Iraq and fight the American Soldier instead of propagandizing to the mindless (aka liberals) in my country. I want to know how long he has been an American citizen and how he managed to enter this country. He claims to have been imprisoned by Saddam. I would also like to know those details. I would more readily believe that he was in Saddam’s republican guard. This game represents terrorism @ its finest. He is attempting to appeal to uninformed youth. This is reminiscent Kruschev’s statement @ the UN ‘We will destroy you through your youth”. All concerned citizens need to recognize where liberal academia is taking this cointry.

RPI alum says:

This game further promote stereotypes about muslims. Stupid RPI. You won’t get another penny from me in your fundraising efforts. Would President Shirley Jackson (RPI) allow a speaker whose game is entitled “How to kill Shirley Jackson”? Its just freedom of speech, right Shirley? Shame on you. I used to think you were intelligent.

Another RPI Alum says:

So it’s not OK for people to make a cartoon of that goofball Mohammad, but it’s OK for some fake “citizen” to make a game about bombing our President… Freedom of speech, as long as it’s Leftist BS. How about making a game about bombing MECA? Anyone… Anyone… Bueller…

RPI Alum says:

Considering RPI is a majority right-wing school (at least when I was enrolled) I’m not at all surprised at this disgusting exhibit of political censorship. “Why not change the world,” what a joke.

Timbo says:

“Actually from my understanding this country wasn’t ‘taken’ from anyone. The natives had no concept of ownership and thus did not own the land. Since the land didn’t belong to anyone the settlers claimed it…”

That’s a common myth. Native Americans ad concepts of personal property, but since their method for gathering food was different from Europeans’ extensive agriculture, they didn’t view land ownership as important as the Europeans did. Here’s a link that you can see about it:

Also, there were a lot of cases where Europeans would talk to a Native American tribe and try to buy the land of another tribe, thinking they were the same group. Many times, the two tribes would be at war, so the tribe negotiated with would accept. I mean, if someone came up to you and said ‘hey, we’ll give you something if you let us have your enemies’ land and fight them if they don’t give it to us”, most people will do that.

Also, the land to Native Americans was essential to many pars of their culture. Religious acts would often deal with visiting a certain area of the land and experiencing it after being put in a certain mindset, through natural hallucinogens or sweat lodges, or going through a ritual. When the land was drastically changed, it would be like somebody burning all the Bibles on the planet.

Anyway, back on topic.

Without playing the game, I think it’s hard to say if it is propaganda or not. It sounds like the focus of the storyline is to show how everyday people become members of Al Queda and how the effects of invasion of Iraq contribute to this happening. I think he has all rights to make it, and based on his reputation and the school’s reputation, I am inclined to think that it isn’t propaganda, but I can’t know for certain with out playing it.

Erik ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The terrorists think they are the good guys and the US the bad.

The US thinks it the good guys and the terrorists the bad.

I’m willing to agree with both sides. At least as far as I think that sometimes in a war, both sides can be the “bad guys”. Its enough to make you hope for the Apocalypse sometimes.

Spartan says:

When I was in school there were many events I did not want my student money going towards like the campus outreach clubs (cults to me) and other strange group activities. The same can be said for most of my tax dollars at all levels of government. However that is one of the costs of a pluralistic society. People simply have to deal with it.

As long as the money being spent does not violate the rules of the game for all. The people that take the time and organize and put forth the effort to do things should have the opportunity to express themselves. So I say more power to them. Even if I hate what they stand for. If it really bothers me that much I will organize something in opposition to them.

Live and let live truly works as a social concept. More people should try it sometime.

F**ked Up says:

Well I dont want my tax payer money going to military so they can blow up fish in pond in Iraq

or blowing up a washing machine

well there went my money…

As for people deciding what is art and what isnt, Well all i got say is

“Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in.” ~Amy Lowell.

This quote is great because it talks about the communicative nature of art. What makes a good movie? a good theater? Is it because communicates dominate values, beliefs and ideology? Or is it a great work of art because represents the follies and foibles of human life? Or is it a great work of art because it uses new techniques to portray the world we live in? Or is it a great work of art because we dont understand it?

“Let me ask you something, what is not art?”

I like this one since well if Anyone has studied modern art many art forms afterwards, well they will get it. The works of Marcel Duchamp, Dada, Marc Chagall, Jackson Pollack, Pablo Picasso, Georges Braque, and interpretive dance. unfortunately I cant remember any composers or theatrical plays off the top of my head.

“An artist is someone who produces things that people don’t need to have but that he – for some reason – thinks it would be a good idea to give them. ” ~Andy Warhol

Hmm I think that can be used to describe all art.

and well as for art and politics well

And wait what we are at war? I thought it was over. I remember seeing this 5 years ago.

And the speech…

Hmm lets see people got killed in 9/11 so how many people joined the army to kill Arabs, I mean Muslims, I mean terrorist, I mean protect this great country of our?

kind of follows this quote:
    “It is entirely seemly for a young man killed in battle to lie mangled by the bronze spear. In his death all things appear fair.” – Homer (not Homer Simpson)

maybe should update it too

“It is entirely seemly for a young man killed in battle unrecognized by a bomb blast. In his death all things appear fair.” – Neo Homer

Or maybe a better statement, “An Eye for an Eye” Arabs kill an Ammerican I kill an Arab, American killed an Arab well Arab Kills an American and it just keeps spiraling down from their. Well as Ghandi put “Eye for an Eye and everyone goes blind.”

Ahh but I guess we are already blind.

RPIer says:

I go to RPI and I’m disgusted I have to pay for this event. I can appreciate art and I can appreciate someone wanting to express their opinion. If RPI is going to spend money on flying this guy here from Chicago, and paying for his hotel room, meals, transportation, and possibly an honorarium, they should at least ask the students if we want to hear him speak. Guaranteed, the average RPI student wouldn’t care enough to show up to this event, so West Hall Auditorium is going to be relatively empty. If it isn’t, I’m willing to bet the fact that the College Republicans brought this event to light has generated more interest in it. So, Wyvern (first post), I wouldn’t be telling the College Republicans at RPI to shut up. They did exactly what Bilal wanted them to do–helped get people talking about this game. Bilal knows it’s going to generate controversy…so he shouldn’t mind the College Republicans’ response, be it negative or not. Thank them for actually paying attention.

And yes, we have packed West Hall Auditorium by planning an event RPI students were actually interested in, because they were involved in the decision-making process. Not to date myself or anything, but when the MythBusters came to speak at RPI, the free tickets to get into this event were depleted within a day or two, and the auditorium was packed. That says A LOT about the popularity of the event if you know anything about RPI students.

I wouldn’t even call this game Bilal is unveiling on my campus at this very moment “art.” I am an artist, myself, and the fact that he copied the game from a terrorist organization, which copied it from an 18-year-old Computer Science major in the USA, does not constitute art in my book. This just tells me that it was a convenient platform for Bilal not to just generate controversy, but to further a personal agenda. Then again, I question some of the other “art” Bilal has done, like the paintball project (google it if you don’t know what I’m talking about). He can’t sleep at night–or ever–without taking medication first. That’s both sad and sick. It sounds like Bilal might have a troubled existence he should address, especially if he’s, albeit indirectly, causing himself physical harm, then masking this as a form of art (he calls it “video art”).

Bottom-line from an RPI student’s perspective: I don’t want my tuition money–and I pay a lot–going toward events like this, if only because there was a severe lack of student input involved with the selection of this event.

Spartan says:

Hmmm… maybe I’m simply not seeing something correctly. Let me try to state this as simply as possible (if I mess this up feel free to correct me).

The issue at hand is not what he is doing but that he can do it.

If people have issues with it, fine make your opinion known but trying to suppress his voice is simply not acceptable.

Blueteam says:

Re, well, just about everyone.

I go to RPI and I’m glad someone spoke up about the game. The guy has the right to say whatever he wants, but that doesn’t mean the school has to provide the podium for him. The first amendment protects speech from being regulated by Congress, not private organizations. That means that if we, the students, are upset about our money getting spend on something like this, we have every right to say “don’t fund it”.

What point is the guy trying to make, anyways?

Karsten ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I jsut have comment for now:

America’s Army

And a question:

Why do you think the US army made this game ?

Ok, two questions:

Think about how middle-eastern people are desribed in US (or western) games?

dj says:

/ignoring Jerry

One thing that isn’t mentioned in this story is that the game that this is modded from was called Quest for Sadam.

He’s basically inverted the protagonist and antagonist roles. I think that this game is relevant as art, as it causes one to examine their position on free/political speech. Any criticism you can mount against this game, should also be applied equally toward Quest for Sadam. And extended to other examples of this in media.

A parralel can be drawn to the 24 contraversy from last year… when there was outcry from the Arab American community about 24 showing Arabs only in a terrorist point of view.

So the question that is raised by this piece of artwork, to me is… “Why is it ok to show americans killing arabs in video games, tv, film, etc… but not ok for the reverse?”

Vinzent says:

The Muslims do have Jesus. But they also had Muhammed too.

And if you think this game is a useless bit of trype, you’re wrong. Elements of this game can be used in the war against terror. You just have to know how to listen.

For instance, if our goal is to end terrorism and extremism, we need to look at the causes. The idea of “Just blow them up” doesn’t work, even if you commit genocide. The best way to fight an enemy is to understand it. This game offers insight to some of the reasons why normals mebers of islamic society join extremists. If those issues were removed, we remove the terrorist recruitment base.

That’s why the first amendment is so important. It helps us to gain a better understanding of the situation so we don’t keep repeating the same failed policies.

SteveUK ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Jerry, your myopic thinking is premium fuel for those looking for reasons to hate America. On a personal note, I find your racist (yes, let’s be honest, you are) blinkered diatribes disturbing and, happily, not echoed by the majority of the readers. Why don’t you, for one minute, consider how it would feel to have family cut down by a “stray bomb” or “friendly fire”. Seriously – do it now. When you have, come back and offer your opinion.

Also – where the hell do you get off telling someone else they need Jesus? It’s this type of attitude that sullies people’s opinions on Christians and Christianity – grow up, man! How would you feel if Saladin told you you needed Allah?! I bet you wouldn’t be best pleased, you great big dirty hypocrite!

Too angry … must stop now, before I turn green and need to smash stuff.

Twin-Skies ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Well, Lord British did say he’ll be “ascending” to beyond the heavens this October ’08, didn’t he?

shady8x says:

I am simply curious why Saladin chose not to identify himself as either an American or a Kuwaiti…

Since he was raised in one and was born in the other…

It sort of concerns a few other statements, but you are right he didn’t say anything about citizenship…

I used the word citizenship, because I don’t know of a better word for something along the lines of “being part of or belonging to some nation or region…”

Aliasalpha says:

Ahh, the religion thing… Nothing like a heated & venomous argument over something that is absolutely impossible to know the answer to.

Are Wookies better than Klingons?

The majority opinion that I’ve heard over the years is that the stories in the bible were supposed to be metaphors, not instructions. Its not unreasonable to assume that the same is true for all allegedly holy books, with the obvious exception of scientology which is simply outright bullshit. If there’s going to be a war against any religion it should be that freakshow!

If the stories resonate with your internal moral code then fine, be that way and good luck to you. The system of Virtues from Ultima IV & onwards strikes me as the most balanced and rational ethical code I’ve ever encountered. Hmm, does that make richard garriott my god?

As with all things, tyranny of the mind only happens when you fail to convince somone of your opinion through either exampe or reasoned debate & start trying to force it. The idea of even arguing over which giant magic pixie has the prettiest wings or even worse killing people over it is a shining example of human passions overruling intelligence and to be perfectly honest, I think thats the single biggest thing holding the species back.

Besides, anyone who’s finished Assassin’s Creed knows that all religion is false, it was just mass manipulation of the mind caused by the Piece Of Eden!

InJM ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The “original” game itself is available for download by following the links through the Night of Bush Capturing link above but the mod in question isn’t.

shady8x says:

“Show me where Jesus said to kill everyone. Show me where Jesus led 27 invasions. Show me where Jesus killed 1 million people.”

>Please don’t start comparing how nice religions are, because Christianity’s history reads like the bloodiest and most gruesome horror story ever created… There is nothing among works of fiction that even comes close…

The US is not the most free country on earth… The most free country on earth is one without laws and is any nation in a state of anarchy… In fact by that definition, you might have been talking about Iraq…

Now certainly in this nation people(citizens) have a lot more rights then in most if not all other nations…

By the way I do understand what you mean, but I am not certain the US is the most free country on earth even by the definition that you are using…

“THESE PEOPLE ATTACK THE MOST FREE COUNTRY ON EARTH. How are they freedom fighters?”
    Oh and please remember that our government regarded Osama as a freedom fighter just a few decades ago, you know, when they trained him… Unfortunately when they win, freedom fighters tend to turn into dictators or terrorists…

The way I see it is this, once you start targeting civilians you are no longer a freedom fighter… You are a murderous terrorist. The only legal targets are military ones. If you place military targets in a place where civilians are then you are also a terrorist…

Just because they attacked US doesn’t make them terrorists, but because they attacked civilian targets when they attacked us, they are terrorists.

“C’mon Jerry. You already KNOW what this country was built on. You ALREADY know who it was taken from in order to be built. Who are you kidding here?”

And if you are refering to the horrible way that the native americans were treated, well they were actually treated much better than the way that Europeans treated each other in those days…(they massacred each other left and right…why do you think so many wanted to leave???)
    Though this was probably due to the fact that most actually died from disease…
    It was after the initial settling and claiming that the crimes against the native Americans where commited…

But it certainly wasn’t taken from anyone since there was no nation here and the country wasn’t built on that either…

broken scope ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Where did he mention citizenship? Im guessing his parents or his family were from the Palestine region, the moved to Kuwait. He is simply stating his heritage.

God, jerry gives so many folks a bad name.

shady8x says:

You were born in Kuwait and grew up in US and yet you are a citizen of a nation which has never existed and is related to neither???(it should but thats a different issue)
    How exactly does that work???

I agree with pretty much everything that you say though…

As for the dirty looks and a “terrorist” tripe after 9/11… I was in New York on 9/11 and noticed fireworks being shot out of neighborhoods with population being mostly of a certain religion and celebration mobs walking down the streets only to be broken up by fire departments hosing them…(if you didn’t live in or near NY city then info of these things happening was supressed by most media outlets and government…)
    >so I am sorry that you got dirty looks, but they were a natural human response to the events…
    Just be glad that in this country other ‘natural human responses’ are against the law and are not encouraged by the government… The country I was born in, had a different view on such things…

Rukon Zappa says:

You know people, Jerry is just the example of what Pandralisk would talk about before he was banned from here. Frankly, if he can be banned for his talk, then Jerry deserves no less; He talks with hate in his heart, quotes hatemongers, and thinks the precious bible, a book written by man, is word for word factually correct. He probably thinks creationism is real and should be taught instead of evolution.

Either we’re being trolled here, or Jerry is the second most hatefilled person I’ve seen on this site.

shady8x says:

He has every right to express his views in any non-violent manner he so chooses and the campus republicans have every right to bitch and moan about the evils his speech brings…

1.It is described as an Al Qaeda propaganda video game, is that because it looks like one or is there some actual affiliation with Al Qaeda?

I haven’t seen the content but depending on how the mission to kill/kidnap Bush is presented the game may be crossing a line from speech to incitement to violence or it could be harmless free speech… I would really like to see the content so this point would be clarified…

“Bilal’s appearance is part of a program funded by a New York State grant”
    3. At this time my only concern is that from my understanding the state is technically sponsoring a propaganda/recruitment tool for terrorists… if I misunderstood that point can someone clarify what program and how it is sponsoring his appearance.

InJM says:

I read that short story too, in high school I think. But it was part of a speed reading test so I don’t remember it too well.

This mod hasn’t been released to the public yet, has it? I’d love to try it out because going to the exhibit is impossible for me.

Saladin ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ E. Zachary Knight

You know what? You are absolutely right. Nailed it right on the head. I was so concerned with showing Jerry how much of a hypocrite Jerry was that I was getting dangerously close there myself. I think I’ll leave Jerry to his bigotry. I’ve made my opinions known, and I’ll let others give their interpretation from here on out. I’ll leave it at that and check out some other topics.

Tch. Religion & Gamepolitics most certainly don’t mix.

Saladin ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Are’el

Ah, sorry sorry. It’s my nature to roll my eyes at bigots. I’ll try to ignore it though. He’s pretty much down to using a religious rant to give credence to his ridiculous claims. So, in a sense, it really IS over now.

@ Jerry

Well, to clarify what I said, I can apply medical aid to myself and others. I’ve managed to convince myself to stay off drugs & alcohol. I’ve managed to convince myself not to do any ridiculous “jackass” style stunts that result in my head banging against a car or concrete wall. Long story short, I have the sense of mind to not do anything stupid. To follow basic tenets of my own life and instincts that insure I try to help others and more or less stay out of trouble.

THAT’S what I mean Jerry. Hope that clarifies for you. I never needed, nor will I ever need Jesus to save me. I can save myself just fine.

Jerry, I’m starting to think you just glance over the important parts of my posts and sort of “Fox News” the rest of it. Again, I make no excuses for extremists. But the vast majority of my people just want to be left the hell alone. So what if a crowd of people hate America? All sorts of people have disagreements with the U.S. You’ve got Americans right here burning flags! Your argument is flawed. And you keep saying “they”. What is UP with that?

dj posted :

“I hate to tell you Jerry, but same goes for christians. 2 Chronicles 15:13 for example. There are numerous passages in the bible for its followers to kill others. I guess Deuteronomy 13:13-19 justifies the Iraq war doesn’t it?”

I mean, the writing’s on the wall. You tell me about the Quran being a book of war and the Bible really has plenty of the same. Isn’t that more or less a two-faced opinion? Seems like a double-standard here?

This was supposed to be about a mod. Instead, you’ve trivialized it with bad reasoning and hate-mongering.

E. Zachary Knight ( User Karma: 1 ) says:

@ Are’el

Sorry. Didn’t mean to misinterpret you.

Frankly, I don’t know how this is a political commentary or how it is art. I have not witnessed it.

But I do believe it deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Here on this site we have bashed Fox News, Jack Thompson, Keith Vaz, Leland Yee etc. for not researching games enough to form a true opinion. Yet here are people who claim to know that this game is terrorist propaganda without every playing or seeing the game.

That is what bugs me the most. We cry that these people are hypocrites, yet we are being very hypocritical ourselves.

I will refrain from making any other judgments on this game until I have seen it my self.

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

Jerry says:

I never said you would bash it. I just asked everyone not to, because most of the time when I bring up the Bible thats what happens. I fail to see how you have the strength to save your self. Maybe you could elaborate on what you mean by that.

Your book is a book of war, don’t get mad at the truth. I already showed you this in the versus I posted earlier from the qur’an. And you say, oh, well that was then this is now. Guess what? The Muslims chant death to America to day. They go out and blow them selves up for Allah, to day. They want to destroy Israel to day. They want everyone to become a Muslim to day. If you want to sit there and say. Its a book of peace, even though it tells you to kill a Muslim if he leaves the faith. How is this peaceful.

O well that was then this is now right? thats your answer. Bad answer. Not an answer at all in fact. It’s an excuse.

Saladin ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Jerry

I never bashed God, or the Bible. I try to treat everyone and their religious choice freely. I don’t NEED Jesus. Last I checked, I made my own decisions without having to bear the weight or responsibility of my people’s past actions. I don’t need someone to save me Jerry. I have the strength to save myself.

Oh, and don’t bother bashing my book. You say that my book is one of war? If it WAS a book of war, this country would have been a flaming pit by now. There are ALOT of muslims in this country dipstick. Your bigoted, and quite frankly STUPID generalization has made me realize that I’m not talking to a RATIONAL human being anymore.

Save the bible thumping for someone else. Your book isn’t all roses and happiness last I checked, and others above have posted. I appreciate my freedom, and quite frankly, the guy who made this mod probably has no idea about Gamepolitics save the short interview. It’s not like this is the FIRST time he’s done a project like this. He made a mod. DAMN.

I TRIED to be nice about this, but man you have ISSUES. Your last post was more or less an inane rant. You haven’t even bothered using logic at this point. I’m honestly waiting for you to call me a terrorist to bring this worthless crap full circle.

Jerry says:

I get what your saying now,but I don’t agree (surprise!)

The guy who made this mod, is full of crap. His reason for this is to bring attention to something that has tons of attention. Just because the doped up brain washing media does not talk about it, does not mean people do not know about it. How do you think they get the people to join Al Qaeda? THey go after the ones that are vulnerable. Everyone with a brain knows this. Not insulting anyone, just saying, everyone knows this. It’s pointless. He’s bringing light to it, good for me. To bad its already lit up with a spot light and his candle won’t do anything.

But whats the point? what does he want from me? my sympathy? my money? what?, what is it?

And are you saying these terrorists are freedom fighters? THESE PEOPLE ATTACK THE MOST FREE COUNTRY ON EARTH. How are they freedom fighters? There nut jobs, who should all be put on an island some where, and left to feed off the vegetation. Maybe all the vitamins from the plant life with help make there minds clear. Of course, if I did not understand you again, just forget this last part.

E. Zachary Knight ( User Karma: 1 ) says:

@ Are’el

So Political opinion pieces cannot be art?

What I am getting at is that you nor Jerry has played this game nor have you seen it in action. So how can you claim that it is terrorist propaganda?

Of course I have not played it nor seen it in action, so I don’t know either. But that does not me I can’t give it a shadow of a doubt.

@ Jerry

O wow, I tried to stay a way but I could not.

That is because you are bigoted idiot and don’t know when to quit.

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

KayleL ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Jerry, what I am saying is that this could go on forever. I could disprove your point, and you could disprove my. We would be going around in circles. I should of made that more clear and that was my mistake. I have a habit of thinking too far ahead of myself and forget to fill in some blanks.

About the Bush thing. It was an example that you could make anyone look like a terrorist if you give people a narrow point of view. You could used pure truth but still misrepresented. What we call terrorist could be the freedom fighters of their country. It’s not all black and white.

Jerry says:

O wow, I tried to stay a way but I could not.

@Rukon Zappa

First of all, I’m quoting Michael savage. Second of all, I can’t stand bush. Although I have a feeling we both have very,very, different reasons for this.

You can have freedom of speech, I did not say you could not. But that does not mean your not an idiot. Idiots can say things to you know.

And I am so confused by you, really I am. I can’t find your point. This is the 3rd time I writing this, because you seem to be saying two different things. What you wrote, makes it sound like I think Bush and and people who support the war are terrorists, or something like that. Then you make up a conversation between the mod guy and everyone else. Then I get more confused because you tell me I can debunk your points. Which means that you already agree you are wrong. So I just don’t know what the heck your saying.

I don’t think Bush is a terrorist, or the people that support the war, if that was what you where saying.

You need Jesus man. He died on the cross for you, for your sins. I know you don’t believe, but I just wanted to tell you that. The qur’an is not a book of peace. Its a book of war, thats why we are in this mess to day. and if anyone bashes the Bible or God, I will correct you and make you look very, very, stupid. Fair warning.

The Archcontroller says:

Jerry wrote:
    “Because liberalism is a mental disorder. “

Sometimes, I think the same thing of neocnservatism…oops ‘independants.’ Sir, you are as independant as Fox News is ‘fair’ or ‘balanced.’ I’ll bet you only call yourself that because republicans have a bad rap these days.

Living in Toronto, I meet more muslims EVERY DAY than you’ve probably met your ENTIRE LIFE. They are nice people. I don’t want people to think that one of my best friends (a Halo gamer, BTW) is a terrorist simply because of his faith – and there are thousdans more just like him.

Oh, and the last time we were terrorist-bombed?

dj says:

Jerry said:

“I don’t think Every Muslims follows it to the letter, because if they did they would all be killing people. I don’t want you to think that I’m trying to be jackass. Just being strait with you, if they followed the qur’an to the letter, they would be killing people, thats all. “

metroidprimegmr says:

Jerry Says: “Because liberalism is a mental disorder.”

Ok, first you stereotype, and NOW you’re making personal insults about other’s intelligence!

Rukon Zappa says:

Why are you people arguing with Jerry the Bush-worshipper? You can’t really argue with 20%ers, they’re too ignorant to see the other side of any of their views and think if you happen to be a democrat or a muslim, that you’re EVIL. Hell, he’s even quoting Ann Coulter for crying out loud.

Granted he hasn’t admitted he does yet, but one of my quotes seems to fit him quite well:

There’s no worship like Bush worship; its a special kind of stupid.

Saladin ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Jerry

Earlier you said you didn’t think all muslims followed the Quran to the letter. NOW you say…..

“There”? So…. you were able to be pretty specific before, who are “they”? If it’s the extremists, then I’d be inclined to agree. However, you sound rather paranoid now. Honestly, I don’t think I do get it. You kinda changed your facts constantly until we stopped being on topic.

In any case, I believe my viewpoint stands. I seriously doubt this is propaganda.

Are'el ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

E. Zachary Knight wrote:
    “And Bilal’s Mod of Night of Bush Capturing […] is a political opinion piece.”

See, this is where I have trouble with this whole thing. Is the mod really a “political opinion piece,” or “art”? If it is, what is Bilal saying, and how is he saying it? What is the game’s context, how does it convey its message?

Or is it just some angry college student sticking their face on a controversial piece of software and saying, “I’m making a statement.” (because saying it makes it true, right?)

The original Night of Bush Capturing is a run-and-gun where you (a terrorist) kill American troops for 6 levels on the way to attack Bush. Now Bilal inserted himself into the game in the form of a mod. So how is this shining light on the atrocities of the Iraqi war? No offense, but this has about as much thought behind it as I would expect from a middle-school kid asked to make a political statement.

I’m just saying this. If “Night of Bush Capturing” is a piece of terrorist propoganda, “personalizing it” doesn’t really change that. If Bilal thought it did, then he really didn’t put a lot of thought into it.

Jerry says:

I’m done here, thats it, your all nuts.

“I’m mean, come on, how could you think this isn’t Al Qaeda propaganda”

Because liberalism is a mental disorder.

Angry Dude says:

Gee, fantastic idea. Let’s point out the problems of the common Iraqi civilian by creating an Al Qaeda suicide bombing simulator! No siree, that won’t alienate and offend the people we’re trying to educate about our perspective, not at all.

Saladin ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Jerry

My argument isn’t with the PAST. My people’s past has been well documented, fractured, praised, outright lied about, etc. by all sides of every confrontation. That’s fine. There are quite a few things my people did in the past that is beyond objectionable. BUT, that’s the PAST. If you you dictated what in fact happened in the past, many countries would be on trial here. Including the good ol’ U.S. of A.

I don’t deny that there are alot of stories about Muhammad. So many in fact that I honestly couldn’t tell you which are right and which are wrong. There are so many fabricated stories and half-truths that I couldn’t tell you with all the “proof” available on the net whether everything is the truth or a lie. But quite frankly, even if it all is, that doesn’t change a thing. The past is as they say, the past.

My problem is that people apply knowledge of things they may or may not neccessarily be true to a situation today. Also, I won’t comment about extremists in my religion that believe killing will solve today’s problems. I’ve made my points on that clear already.

The mod explores WHY Bilal casts himself as a suicide bomber, and all the relevant issues involved. He has the freedom to do so. It also points out the double standard in the war. There’s nothing wrong with that.

Lavarock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Look, this game is alright, I mean this is *all I do in Call of Duty 4.*
    OpFor, AK-47, 3Xfrags, Sonic Boom, Martyrdom.

I scream “ALLAAAAHU ACKBAR” down the hall at everyone else on the LAN just before I overcook my third grenade. If I can do that, we can have a game like this.

Sidewinder54 says:

@Whoever thinks this game is okay.

The reason it’s okay to play games like COD4 is because we’re killing terrorists, not becoming them. Big difference…especially when we’re at war. Believe it or not, terrorists are bad, we are good. That’s a pretty hard concept for some people, but just bear with me.

I’m mean, come on, how could you think this isn’t Al Qaeda propaganda. Of course the guy who made it is going to say he’s just creating a dialouge, but how are you going to do that when 99% of the people playing it are going to be Middle Eastern kids.

Any group that abducts mentally retarded people and straps bombs around them so they can go blow themselves up isn’t going to be supported by me, nor should it by any other American. Besides, the argument of the College Republicans was that the event was being sponsored by American tax dollars.

Saladin ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Jerry

Saddam? Seriously? Your using SADDAM as the prominent Arab example? Good GOD man. I’m not sure if I’m READY for THAT conversation.

We’re seriously veering off the topic in EPIC fashion.

@ Everyone else

I missed the part where we talked about the MOD. Remember that?

Saladin ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Jerry

The fact that you need to point out the Quran which I presume you think EVERY SINGLE muslim follows to the letter is all the information about you that I need. Which is what I’d LIKE to say, but again, that’s what we call “Stereotyping”. I’ll leave what I believe to be your flawed interpretation up to you.

As for your position on the Quran, you provided good lines. I appreciate that you looked for actual Quran verses, and I feel that I’ll have to look up a few more myself. However, times have changed the ways we think. There are plenty of innacuracies and fables in Holy Books around the world. Coincidentally, I seriously doubt that Muhammad killed 10 million+ Buddhists. That’s a pretty round number. As for the rest of the killings, while I look to the Quran, it doesn’t RULE my life and likewise I can look at any actions Muhammad made in both postives and negatives.

WHEN the writings were created should be a pretty good example of how the passages affect modern times. I’m sure anyboy posting here can cite examples of verses which are flawed or simply don’t apply this day in age. I for one don’t follow the Quran to the letter. Also, it doesn’t mean I’ll sit here and pretend generalization of a few Quran verses overule all the other achievements and mindset of my people.

A few lines don’t support the stereotyping of my entire people. Sorry, but that’s ridiculous.

I have the feeling we’re both getting off the wrong foot here, and truthfully, I don’t think everything your saying is wrong. But the sterotyping comment, well……. I just don’t agree.

Spartan says:

@E. Zachary Knight – Your response was far more succinct and eloquent then the one I was going to make. Great job. You hit the nail on the head in words a two year old could understand without all the hyperbolic bullshit and emotional tones.

@E. Zachary Knight

I’m sorry, but I can’t talk to you can more. It’s not worth it. Its a waste of time. So ill leave it at this. Why don’t you do some research on Saddam. Then use logic, and figure it out for your self. I’m not going to spell everything out for you.

JBentley ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I find it interesting that most commentors have put this into “republican’s don’t respect the freedom of speech!” while the article doesn’t go this path at all; instead framing it in the decades long battle of “This is reprehensible; why is the government funding it?”

Stereo-typing is fun to watch, and it cuts both ways.

E. Zachary Knight ( User Karma: 1 ) says:

@ Jerry

I think you are confusing games at the moment.

There are three games at question here:

An American created game, Quest for Saddam

An Al Qaeda created game, Night of Bush Capturing

And Bilal’s Mod of Night of Bush Capturing.

The first is propaganda. The second is propaganda. The third is a political opinion piece.

So why is it okay for us to make a game about killing them, but not okay for them to make a game about killing us?

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

@Shih Tzu

Just let me make sure I got this right. In order to stop the stereotypes of all Muslims are terrorists, or something like that. The guy becomes one( in the game I mean). Just making sure I got this one right. On second thought, is he going after other stereotypes? Seriously, is he? What the heck?

I fail to see how a game about killing bush, is going to help anything. But thats just me I guess.

Jerry says:

I think I know where the stereotyping comes from.

“War is prescribed to you: but from this ye are averse.” (Sura 2:212).

“To participate in Jihad in Allah’s cause” (Al Bukhari vol. 1:25)

“Whoever changed his Islamic religion, then kill him.” (Hadith 9:45; 84.2.57.)

Am I wrong? This is what the qur’an says right? I mean Mohammed killed tons of people, I think it was 10 million Buddhists as well as others. So that might be where the stereotyping comes from. Just an idea.

Shih Tzu says:

Jerry: That’s true! Let’s take a look at some of the information (as represented, at least, by the creator or whoever wrote the biography linked in the article):

“After learning of the real-life death of his brother in the war, he is recruited by Al Qaeda to join the hunt for Bush. This work is meant to bring attention to the vulnerability of Iraqi civilians to the travesties of the current war and racist generalizations and stereotypes as exhibited in games such as Quest for Saddam; along with vulnerability to recruitment by violent groups like Al Qaeda because of the U.S.’s failed strategy in securing Iraq. The work also aims to shed light on groups that traffic in crass and hateful stereotypes of Arab culture with games like Quest for Saddam and other media.”

That’s about all I know about the game (again, assuming that it’s even being portrayed faithfully in the text). So we have a setup where the protagonist is drafted to be a suicide bomber. The text doesn’t mention anything about murdering a political figure, or whether the main character even goes through with any murder. The fact that the text raises the point of “vulnerability to recruitment by violent groups like Al Qaeda” suggests that the creators take a dim view of murderous acts and are interested in exploring the causes that drive people to commit them. There have been films exploring the psychology and sociopolitical factors that create people who blow themselves up to murder others; I don’t see why there shouldn’t be games as well.

Thank you for inspiring me to learn more about the game! I kinda want to play it now.

Saladin ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Jerry

I’m a palestinian muslim. Born in Kuwait.

Regarding suicide bombers. Hate to break this to you junior, but the massive amount of civilian casualties kinda hampers a person’s abilities to think clearly. Especially since some of these bombers had family that got bombed by U.S. forces in the first place. I won’t waste time making excuses for the others though.

If the above thought blows your mind, feel free to alert the F.B.I. to my presence here on Gamepolitics. If it helps you sleep at night.

You could also do one of those South Park catchphrases. “If you don’t like it, you can GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET OUT!”

Does it make it right? No. The general problem is how the war was brought about. The events that surrounded it and HOW the war was fought changed how everyone looks at the government.

I completely disagree with the way the government has handled this war, and I feel sorry for those that feel strapping a bomb onto themselves will bring a positive effect to their lives, their country, etc. It’s still wrong. They usually end up killing innocents as well. No matter how the thought is rationalized, it’s still wrong. And personally, I think it’s a cowardly way to go.

The mod is pointing out some very important issues. While I’m not in love with the way it’s done, the point’s still there. Everyone’s got an opinion, and I applaud this guy for having the guts to do something like this.

I don’t expect you to understand or care even, but my people’s lives changed in a way that you can’t possibly FATHOM. I myself was subject to dirty looks and a “terrorist” tripe after 9/11. It’s not a good feeling to have. Especially when I was raised here.

The stereotyping gets pretty old too, I must say.

Tye The Czar says:

@DarrelBT: Well, they’re still into privitization of stuff that shouldn’t be and want less government control over where it SHOULD be(Businesses, labor, etc.) while they dream about laws persecuting dissenters and godless sodomites. HEIL LOL!

E. Zachary Knight ( User Karma: 1 ) says:

@ Jerry

I can see propaganda. I recognize it. Butthat does not mean I will not give it a look. I feel I am actually a better person because I try to look at the bigger picture instead of just small parts of it.

It also helps to put yourself in the shoes of other people. Do you know how it feels to have you brother killed by people who are supposed to be protecting you? I certainly don’t. I hope I don’t have to feel that in real life. But if someone were to convey that feeling to me in a way that actually helped me know how it feels, than I can learn from it.

I certainly don’t condone terrorism nor do I condone threatening the President of the US. But I am more than willing to learn how differnet people feel about this war and the President.

Now you mentioned that 15 year old girl. I am not familiar with that story. The ACLU is all over the media and probably saw it. But I am not familiar with it.

I am glad to see that bigotry is alive in the US. I am glad to see that so many people are closed minded toward anything going on in the world that doesn’t support their own biased opinions.

I bet you are completely agianst Obama because he is a Muslim that will open up our borders and let Al’Queda march in and take over the US.

@E. Zachary Knight

Actually I’m independent. And I was not a ware there was a republican party any more. Thanks for the tip though. The truth is, your not worth my time, so ill keep this short. Not nice? sorry, thats how I feel.

“The game is about a man who’s brother, who is not a soldier or terrorist, is killed by American soldiers and out of his dispar decides to seek revenge by joining Al’Queda.”

Oh, well that changes everything! I mean before it was propaganda now its…propaganda?

If you can’t see through this, then you don’t got a chance. Thats all.

Jerry says:

@spartan and random people on here.

Things are a little different when your FIGHTING A WAR. You see, if you want to WIN a war. You don’t let the enemy spread there propaganda in your own freaking country. Did you know that a 15 year old girl put a picture of bush on myspace and then said she hopes he dies. Or something to that extent. Know what happened next? secret service came and interrogated her. Just like they should of.

After all, its there freaking job, they don’t know if the person is who they said they are. They have to peruse every possible threat. But why the hell does this guy get a free ride? Because of of sick people like the ACLU that will sue the government of a hate crime if they asked him a freaking question. thats why.

But no no, the 15 year old girl is fine, question her. Just don’t question people who are making mods about blowing people up and killing Bush. Because those people are artists, and they have the right to want to kill our President, But American citizens, like the 15 year old girl, the people who where born here, they can’t hate the President. But the guy that was born in Iraq, and makes a mod where you kill the President, thats fine.

I’m sick of all these idiots!

E. Zachary Knight ( User Karma: 1 ) says:

And we have our first College Republican. Welcome Jerry. Glad to have you on the site.

Now if you could leave your bigotry with the doorman we can have a great conversation.

I have not played the game, but am willing to give it a try.

It would be nice if everything was black and white, but there is a whole spectrum of color out there to enjoy and discuss.

If you don’t like all this you can kindly go back to Pleasantville.

Sounds like a decent

Spartan says:

Despite how much I hate Bush and the Islamofascists types and would love to personally eradicate both elements if the opportunity presented itself, this guy has every right to make the game the way he wants and to send whatever message he wants. As far as I’m concerned freedom of expression and speech are still valid tenants in America even if the current government has issues with the message or medium. What is this one of those “you are either with us or against us” Kodak moments?

Jerry says:

I’m surprised how many people on here are that stupid and believe the mod guy. Some how I fail to see how becoming a suicide-bomber, joining Al Qaeda, and trying to kill bush, is going to bring attention to the vulnerability of iraq civilians. What do they want us to do? feel bad for them because there killing innocent people?

If anyone thinks this is art (a few do), then so is a picture of a REAL LIFE body blown a part from a suicide bomber. Please put that up on your wall, it will make for good conversation about your mental disorder.

Shih Tzu says:

I’m predisposed to ignore anything I hear from a “College Republicans” group, but as to the actual nature of the game itself, it might be interesting to see whether it actually has something to say or is just inflammatory (like the stupid V-Tech flash game and, in some eyes, the Columbine murders RPG).

Ben W ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I say let ’em have their say, they have the right. But of course, if another students wants to showcase a game recreating the hunt Hussein, ignoring any collateral casualties along the way (read: killing every arab in sight), that’s their right too. I wouldn’t call it tasteful, but if you allow one, you have to allow the other. And yes, I vote republican. For some of us Republican doesn’t mean “Bush = God”, but rather “government, get the hell out of my life”.

KayleL ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The republicans made propaganda. If the collage students think that this mod should be allowed because they think it’s propaganda, then they are hypocrites.

Vinzent says:

Jesus was a victim of censorship too.

Honestly republicans, do you need someone to reinterpret the constitution for you? I know that the First Amendment his a hard one to live by, but that’s why the founding fathers made it THE FIRST ONE. They were banking on the fact that their descendants weren’t going to be a bunch of wimps who cried everytime an opposite viewpoint was expressed.

JustChris says:

I thought it was more of the Paleo-cons that have the whole terrorist hate thing going on. But by their name, wouldn’t they fit in with the old-school Republicans? My head is spinning here.

Are'el ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Baron Saturday
    I read the article, and that makes Bilal’s actions all the more dangerous (to himself). He took terrorist propoganda, and “personalized it” with his own face. It doesn’t take much to fuel the ire of the US Government. They could definitely claim this as a serious threat, and take action against Bilal. Hell, they detained and questioned a man in my county just for organizing a protest that involved standing in front of an Army recruitment office. I can only imagine what they might do to Bilal.

Additionally, I don’t see how it can be called “art” to paste your face/name on someone else’s work. That’s the lazy, jackass form of art.

Finally, I’d like to clarify my previous post. I said it sounded more like Bush hating than a serious form of protest, because of the nature of the game. How much of the game actually highlights the atrocities of the war? How is the story relayed to the player? If the story of familial revenge is just told in text between levels, and the gameplay is just run-and-gun (which from a video I watched, that seems to be the case), then it isn’t really protesting anything. Rather it is emphasizing the violence, not the message.

broken scope ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Night of the bush capturing is a game produced in the middle east.
    This is a mod for that game.

Just an FYI since some people don’t know that.

Artifex says:

I really hope you notice the epic irony in your decrying the marginalization and stereotyping of one group (muslims) by marginalizing and stereotyping another (neocons)… just saying.

@Erik – Amen. Are games art/speech or not? That’s the trouble with freedom you know, the freedom to disagree and protest is included in there too. I’d also agree with @Are’el about the line between advocating violent activity. I also think that there is a strange fetish for Bush in all of the rhetoric, he is just part of a broader system that has implemented what is going on…

I do think it is exciting to have folks like this on RPI campus pushing our students thinking.

Neeneko says:

Heh. Actually, looking at their site, these people are a joke anyway.

OMG!! SADDAM HAD WMD!!! HERE IS THE PROOF!!!! and then rambling after rambling on liberals.

So in summary, thier opinion on this game is pretty meaningless. I would not call these people the future political leaders, more people you expect to see in rally crowd shots.

Neeneko says:

What worries me about this CR statement is it has hints of the entire ‘College does something unpatriotic, we should withhold funding!’ mantra that I’m hearing come from some republican groups lately.

Andrew Hoffman ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’m at RPI and I think this sort of thing is going to be interesting to attend. I plan on going to when he speaks Wednesday if I am not too busy.

lumi ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Derek:

“P.S. – There are more members at RPI that support Cthulhu than any part of the Republican party.”

I see you’re a member of Games Club or the RSFA, or both =)

I was class of ’04, EMAC/PSYC. I trust the arts department and the newly formed gaming curriculum advisors to choose something worth putting on display. The “demented honking of the politically correct” will be in the background no matter what; that will never change.

And I’ll add my voice to the chorus indicating that this is NOT indicative of the average RPI student’s opinions.

Ian Cooper ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

DogWelder wrote:

DarrellBT — “(no offence to muslims who read this blog regarding the “sand n*****, but that is definitely how neocons think)”

“Um, actually, no it isn’t how the neocons think.”

Um, actually it is. See, I used to be a neocon – I used to think like that all the time.

Zerodash ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I am 100% in favor of this mod existing, and the right of the artist to make it.

HOWEVER. Many college leftists are living in a dreamworld in which islam is a “religion of love”. These same college lefties are the first to decry christianity as a hate group (which I happen to agree with). I just want to point out the hypocricy of these people.

Bob says:

Derek Says:
    …I really am concerned how this person got into RPI, as I purposefully went here to get away from the average moron.

that made me laugh.
    but he is a HP Lovecraft fan so perhaps we can forgive his small mind.
    ( …RPI that support Cthulhu than any part of the Republican party. )

Dog Welder; I agree with your observation, but doesn’t that prove the point that in the US you have the freedom to have a politically sensitive opinion and the means to express it.

Jabrwock; Nice post. Its never simple, and one persons terrorist is anothers freedom fighter. (Being a Brit who lived during the IRA bombings)
    The Fear campaign promoted by the US’ current administration is creating a very dangerous Muslimphobia that could push fragile people to extremes. Perhaps this game can be a conduit creating a common ground to discuss the topic without irrational fear.

Archgabe ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Dog Welder

I would actually like to know what they think. But that is impossible because I can’t read minds. Whatever they think is has to be something crazy and not too far off from the offensive remarks. Ann Coulter ring a bell?

@ Derek

Cthulhu for prez, ’08!

E. Zachary Knight ( User Karma: 1 ) says:

@ Dog Welder

And that is why we have the First Ammendment. We have the right to criticize our government.

We also have the right to criticized other people’s criticism.

I would like to see what this guy has done. It could be quite informative.

icarus says:

I just want to state up front that the ideals of the CRs don’t reflect the opinions held by the vast majority of RPI students. From my time at RPI, I can say confidently that most RPI students are tolerant and thoughtful and I don’t want people to get the impression that most RPI students think like the CRs do.

That all being said, I am not at all surprised the CR would say something like this. I wasn’t a member of either organization, but I knew people in both the CR and CD (College Democrats). The CRs tried to make a major fuss out of any event on campus that was even mildly controversial, mostly so someone would would actually pay attention to them. It is certainly not surprising that they would jump all over this. However, as I said before, most students don’t share the opinions of the CRs, so take these comments only as a reflection of a small group of individuals at RPI.

Derek says:

I’ve been going to RPI for almost a year now, and and on the topic of the College Rebublican(s), I really am concerned how this person got into RPI, as I purposefully went here to get away from the average moron. However, they still have a right to express their opinion, and everyone else has the right to ignore it.

Dog Welder ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Um, actually, no it isn’t how the neocons think. But, hey, let’s talk about a story about misguided idiocy with even more misguided idiocy!

I haven’t seen the “art” piece in question, so I’m not going to judge. I’ll just point out how ironic it is that if the “artist” had done a piece like this about Saddam Hussein in Iraq, he’d most likely have been taken out and tortured and executed.

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I think this should have been filed under “Obvious” with the title “College Republicans think every issue is black and white”

I read a short-story many years ago that had the same themes. Boy’s eldest brother is killed (turns out by accident, he was a bystander), but the local gangs end up recruiting him, and he becomes a crack sniper. One night he’s taking shots at some troops, and finds himself facing off with another shooter on the rooftops. They trade shots, employing all the tricks in the book. He finally hits the other shooter, and crosses the street to check him out. He finds the body of his other brother.

Except the story was about Northern Ireland…

Bob says:

Ah, the double edge sword of ‘freedom’.
    Yup, I have freedom to play COD4, Thompson has freedom to lie his arse off, and Bilal has the freedom to condemn the Iraqi war via his chosen media of gaming.
    Well if we just stop this ‘freedom’ thing we can ban that game… woohoo.

Steve ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Do all bombs really have that circular clock on them? Especially since he has a wired detonator in his hand, the clock just seems kind of useless, not to mention a bit dated.

Luigi says:

You can bet that Fox News will be mentioning this soon as an act of “treason” and use their panel of “intellectual guests” to back them up. And once again great job missing the point and making the issue one-sided guys. *Claps*

Viralhunter says:

And here I went thinking that my hometown was rid of this bull.

My god, does every action in a game mean that the game is promoting it? One can’t just select random elements from a game and say “LOOK THEY”RE PROMOTING THIS” and completely disregard every other similar mechanic in other games. Promoting an agenda FTL.

Then again I haven’t seen the game, but most likely these college republicans haven’t either.

Skyler ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Well, he wants to create dialogue about the war. It seems that the guy’s family has been killed in Iraq, and his previous one is cast from the same sort of mold. (referring to his paitball online game)
    Dissenting opinion? You bet.
    However, as a rule I find politically inspired art/music a terrible bore. I’m kind of an aesthetic.

Glen Haupt says:

Typical. Someone creates something that expresses a deep, complicated opinion, and then freedom-hating (I can play the name-calling game too), ignorant “Americans” oversimplify, mislabel, and bitch about it.

This is the United States of America people. Wafaa Bilal has the right to express whatever views he has. No one has the right to suppress that.

Jay13x ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Well, without knowing the exact content of the game, it’s hard to judge whether he really meant to make a point or is just looking for shock value to gain recognition. I really think there is a serious need for more games that show other points of view in the world, too many Americans can only see the world through CNN or Fox News goggles. Pull up the same international news story on CNN and BBC, and you’ll know what I’m talking about.

DarrelBT says:

Also, I like how the article was practically “COLLEGE REPUBLICANS OUTRAGES BY GAME MOD, and in other news, the RPI students prefer Democrats”

Wyvern says:

Curious…Looks like an interesting way of broadcasting a political idea. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I would quite like to play that.

Oh, and shut up College Republicans.

PennyLane says:

Wafaa Bilal is an American citizen. An American citizen who has the right to criticize HIS OWN COUNTRY however he chooses to do so. Sorry, but your assumption that he is not a citizen and therefore should be “deported” is actually… umm… racist.

Can we please all say this together:

On a happier note. I think it’s great to see the Game Politics blog take this issue on and happy to see so much response here.

RPI alum says:

Just read that RPI will not allow the exhibition on campus. It has been moved to downton Troy. Ok….Shirley, I think you are intelligent again. Good choice.

dj says:

Here’s a link to the schools webpage for the exhibit:

Blueteam Says:
    “What point is the guy trying to make, anyways? “

The event description says:
    “This work is meant to bring attention to the vulnerability of Iraqi civilians to the travesties of the current war and racist generalizations and stereotypes as exhibited in games such as Quest for Saddam; along with vulnerability to recruitment by violent groups like Al Qaeda because of the U.S.’s failed strategy in securing Iraq. The work also aims to shed light on groups that traffic in crass and hateful stereotypes of Arab culture with games like Quest for Saddam and other media.”

There is a live webcast of a lecture, at 7:30 tonight, Chicago time.

Here’s the artists bio:
    “… was arrested and tortured for his political art work against Sadaam Hussein”

Still think this is Al Qaeda propoganda? It’s derived from some, which was derived from US propaganda. It is something entirely diferent now.

Bob says:

www dot venganza dot org is the home of the Church of the Spagetti Monstor.
    Feel free to look around, you may find it has as much realism as your version of a good faith, but without the hatefilled bile.

Funny how the world turns, from ‘Christian’ witchhunts and ‘no one expects the spanish inquisition’ to Bushtian Muslimhunts and ‘no one expects Homeland Security.
    a terrible analogy, i know, but i’m only on my 2nd cup of coffee.

As for the actual topic, its nice to see open discussions on Freedom of Speech on our chosen media. =:)

LsTrOfSmG says:

The hardest thing to disprove is faith, and seeing that Jerry has digressed to the point whereby he is simply attacking any other religion than Chistianity (which I must point out has perhaps the most violent past of any major religio) I suggest we ignore his bigotry.

I myself am much more interested in discussing this mod than I am in fuelling his own religious zealotry (anymore so than I am now doing by posting this).

2 Chronicles 15:13

That was when the king started removing more idols. Then bound the people to an oath to seek the Lord. All who did not obey the covenant where to be executed.

That covenant was only for Israel, and we are no longer under that covenant anymore. Show me where Jesus said to kill everyone. Show me where Jesus led 27 invasions. Show me where Jesus killed 1 million people.

Mohammad wrote the Qur’an and waged war! GET IT NOW?

Notice, when I brought up the qur’an, I used facts? I did not take it out of context like you did with the Bible.

As for the next verse, I wont even bother to look it up because you did not even bother to research the first one. So what would be the point? Try to get it right next time.

The people burning flags are not blowing them selves up…as far as I know. And last time I checked, the US was free, maybe not? Must have missed your point there.

I was waiting for you to say hate-mongering. After all, I’m only using facts, and I live in reality, I’m such a hate-monger.

Spartan says:

@Jerry – OMG!! You are to much brother man.

Are you really a post secondary education level student or are you really JT’s illegitimate son?

I think I know the answer to that one…

Are'el ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Just to clarify, in the above post I was not stating that Bilal was a terrorist, or even that he was claiming to be one. I was making a point as to what possible message could be derived from “personalizing” a terrorist propoganda game. I know how specific you have to be here.

Are'el ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Ugh, can we ignore Jerry, please? The discussion about the mod and the CR response to it has got to be more interesting than the ignorant ramblings of this individual. Don’t feed trolls.

E. Zachary Knight wrote:
    “So Political opinion pieces cannot be art?”

Thank you for completely misinterpreting me. What I’m saying is, this wasn’t a “political opinion piece,” or “art.” I’m asking seriously, how is it? How is it a political statement? If it was to draw awareness to the plight of innocent Iraqi families, how does it do that? Bilal modded himself into a Al Queda propoganda piece. What does that say, other than “Hey, maybe I could be a terrorist, too?”

I have opposed the Iraq war since it was proposed, and I’m no fan of Bush. He’s an incompetent puppet that eagerly believed faulty intel in order to justify a war he wanted. But I don’t see Bilal’s actions as any form of protest or political statement. It’s just too lame in its concept. Rather, I see this as a half-assed attempt to put meaning on an otherwise foolish mod, in order to save face after the fact (or to get credit in school, or whatever). Putting himself in Night of Bush Capturing is just controversial and “edgy” enough to gain kudos from war-protesters that don’t think too hard, and to stir up a bunch of ineffectual College Republicans with nothing better to do with thier time.

Whatever you want to call it (political statement, opinion piece, art), it should at least make sense.

Jerry says:

I don’t think Every Muslims follows it to the letter, because if they did they would all be killing people. I don’t want you to think that I’m trying to be jackass. Just being strait with you, if they followed the qur’an to the letter, they would be killing people, thats all. And there are many more versus like that in the qur’an that I can show. But its your book so Ill let you look for it. Unless you ask me, if you ask me Ill show you them, save you some time. If not then I won’t.

Also, I checked the numbers, and I need to clarify it. The religion its self led to 10 million killings of the Buddhists. What I mean by that is, the Muslims did it in the name of Allah, in the name of there religion. Mohammad led 27 invasions and killed one million people. Just wanted to clear that up.

@Shih Tzu

Did you know its a lot of fun to put your head in front of a moving semi truck? What you don’t believe me? well how do you know until you try it?

Some times you don’t need to try things, to know what there like. You know why? because we have information on it, thats why.

Did none of you read the article? He didn’t create Night of Bush Capturing, radical Jihadists did by modding Quest for Saddam. Then Bilal in turn modded Night of Bush Capturing to personalize it to his own story. That is the “art” of it.

Are'el ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This is an interesting way to protest the war, though I don’t think it’s very on-message. It sounds more like a “I hate Bush” statement, than an outcry of the war. Still, I see nothing wrong with it, since it’s a form of free speech.

Yet, Bilal should be very careful. I’d be interested to know what is exactly allowed in the game. The game is named “Night of Bush ‘Capturing’,” but is it possible to harm Bush? I wonder this, because making a threat on the life of the President is a federal crime. If the federal government is feeling bored, they might claim the game as serious propoganda calling on players to attack the President, and charge Bilal. I realize that’s not the case, but the government is always looking for an excuse to smack down protests (and video games, really).

T5 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I doubt there is anything new in this. Lets be realistic the mantra has been “Bush Lied, People Died” “No Blood for Oil” “Kucinich in ’08” for the last couple years. This guy wanted to make a sensationalists game, the CR walked right into his hands. Both parties will get their 15 and the show will go on.

DarrelBT says:

Aah, Neocons. This is why the name “republican” has died. It used to mean “less government involvement” and “more focus on privitisation” Now it mean “LOL BUSH IS AWESOME LONG LIVE GOD KILL THEM ARAB SAND N******”

KayleL ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Jerry, you make terrorism look so black and white. I bet you could slap together of all the bad things that Americans do, and label the U.S. as terrorists.

Oh look, Bush threaten Canada into war.
    Oh look, Bush has invaded our country.
    Oh look, Bush attack areas with no proper reason, killing thousands of innocent people.
    Oh look, Bush is after our oil.
    Oh look, Bush’s people are making video games about killing us and calling us terrorist.

Wow, with a rep like that, you could say that Bush is a terrorist leader. With people supporting the Iraq war, it makes them look like members of the terrorist group. But that isn’t the case. Just because Bush showed us the worst of Iraq doesn’t make them terrorists.

A person spoke to Americans saying “Could I tell my side of the story?” but there have people saying “No, you are our enemy, was won’t listen to you. You are a terrorist”. So he replies, “Then I would get my message across through a game mod”. The people say “NO! you are terrorist. You are making propaganda. We shell stop you”

Jerry, I bet you could make the table turned and start debunking my points one-by-one. When I read some of you early posts, I assumed that you were just listening to the media, and I was going to start making jokes about what if everything the media say was true. But I read some quotes you made that needed some deep research.

I still don’t 100% agree with you, but I now don’t take you as a media sponge. Calling us all idiots just seems ignorant considering that this website believes that everyone should have the freedom of speech.