Prez Bid Kaput, Huckabee Kicks Back with Rock Band & Lasagna

After bowing out of the Republican presidential race, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee retired to Little Rock where he accepted condolences from President Bush and decompressed by playing Rock Band.

As reported by the National Journal’s Hotline blog:

Huckabee spoke to President Bush and many of his supporters… before hosting his entire campaign staff at his home for lasagna and video games…

Huckabee said he originally intended to cook ribs for his staff, but that they would have required nine hours to cook. So several tins of lasagna ably substituted. Staffers gathered in the basement to play Rock Band and hold a final team meeting.

As GamePolitics reported last September, Huckabee has also been known to try his hand at Guitar Hero. He’s actually a pretty darned good real-world guitarist as well and plays in a band called Capitol Offense.

GP: Yes, that’s a Guitar Hero controller… No time to PhotoShop one from Rock Band…

[…] Following the primary elections of Vermont, Rhode Island, Texas and Ohio on March 4, a term affectionately known by many political junkies as “Super Tuesday 2: Electric Boogaloo”, the Republican party found themselves with a candidate presumptive in John McCain following Mike Huckabee’s resignation. How did the former Arkansas governor recover from watching his presidential aspirations crash and burn, you ask? He did what any of us would do — he played some Rock Band, and he macked on some ‘zanya. […]

Are'el ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

It’s always nice to see a politician enjoying video games, and not attacking them. Now the real question is, did evolution or God give Huckabee the opposable thumbs to hold the Rock Band controllers?

AdioBam says:

he’s a good guy but a terrible republican. being a social conservative and a member of the religious right does not make you a real conservative; just the opposite, actually.

but yea, he’s a cool guy.

D3ath says:

Mike Huckabee was a good candidate and a great a great person. not to many politicians play videogames or an instrument for that matter heck i dont of any politicians that play in a rock band for that matter. Mike Huckabee is a cool guy. i think we need more cool polticians like him.

Arion ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I heard Huckabee a few times on NPR. Rockband and Guitar Hero does not surprise me one bit. He is really really laid back and has a total zen attitude. He does not like or believe in negative campaigning to win. Even though I am an Obama supporter, I will miss Huckabee’s mug in the election coverage.

Verbinator ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’m sorry to see he’s out of the race. He was the only candidate that I liked as a person. Now I’m rooting for Hillary on the Dem side … because McCain will be able to beat her like a drum in November.

Thefremen ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I would rather hang with him than any other Pres. Candidate or recent Pres.

I mean, with Bill Clinton he’d get me into way too much trouble with my wife, GW would probably get me into cocaine or something, Hillary would be no fun, Obama would be a little bit more fun but still way too serious, McCain is old as heck, Ron Paul is absolutely insane and Mitt Romney is Mitt Romney. i think Huckabee is a pretty cool guy. eh plays Rockband and doesn’t afraid of anything. However, I wouldn’t vote for him a billion years.

Dave ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Haha, nice work photoshopping the controller in…

This post just gave me an insane craving for my mother’s lasagna. Booo college life. :p

And yeah, he seems like he’s probably a really cool guy in every day life. Cheers to him for dealing with everything so graciously and knowing how to kick back and have fun.

King of Fiji ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Anyone who would of let Conan, Stephen Colbert, and Jon Stewart, fight over who “created him” couldn’t of made that bad of a president.

A chicken in every pot and a guitar hero in every Xbox. That could of been his tag line.

Shih Tzu says:

Cidas: That was Romney. Huckabee is, however, a social conservative and a favorite of religious extremists like the American Family Association, which makes me glad he won’t be anywhere near the Oval Office. I’m sure he’s a nice man.

Eville1 ( User Karma: 0 ) says: have cow tits?

A nice disposition and good guitar hands does not a president make. It’s to bad he didn’t keep running though.

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

A Bass Guitarist too, speaking as a Bass Guitarist, this probably means that when he joined his first band, they already had a lead and rhythm guitarist 😉

Now all we need is a ‘Bass Hero’ game, with a few Primus tracks on it….

RevenChrist says:

Huckabee was the one canidate whom really spoke out to me as being someone who really was a peoples person. He was funny, played games, and was as personal as possible in speeches. Aside from some of his ideas, he might have made a good president.

Benji says:

I rather liked Huckabee on the red side, much for the same reason I like Obama on the blue side. I think their policies are mediocre at best, but at least they come off as human beings who care about this country instead of automatons born of a political machine who only want to see themselves promoted.

Conejo ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

whilst i would never ever vote for Huckabee due to his extreme religious bias, i have to credit the man for being very personable and likable.

Huckabee is the kind of guy who’d be okay to hang with, just not the right man for President.

Ian Cooper ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Probably a nice guy, but his wacky beliefs would have made him a hell of a bad president, and I think the last seven years have given us more than enough bad presidency.

Cidas ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I belive that someone included videogames in that “ocean of filth”, or something to that note. I’m not sure if it was Huckabee, I could have been but I don’t think he would censor games as much as regulate them. Or was it Romney? Why am I thinking that?