Missing Marine Found Dead… COD4 May Have Triggered Combat Flashback

A badly-wounded Iraq War veteran, missing since February, has been found dead inside a culvert in Charlotte County, Florida, according to Indiana’s News and Tribune.

As GamePolitics reported last month, 24-year-old Eric Hall, still suffering from grievous combat wounds as well as post-traumatic stress disorder, fled a relative’s home after a session of Call of Duty 4. Hall, who had previously caused a traffic accident in his native Indiana after hallucinating an Iraqi roadblock, may have experienced a flashback of some sort. Relatives report that his combat experiences, which included seeing his best friend decapitated at Fallujah, left him badly traumatized.

It’s not clear why Hall crawled 60 feet into the roadside culvert. His motorcycle was found nearby.

Boxx ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The really sad part about this story/event is how steadfastly our government tries to “protect the children” by constantly attacking violent video games, but at 18 we all, at least guys do, have to register for selective service and we start getting calls from recruiters. Apparently video games that portray violence are bad, but real world situations that will leave a mark on you for the rest of your life are okay because they are in defense of some perceived greater good. Maybe I’ve missed it, but why don’t legislator’s attack America’s Army?

Blase says:

Letting the guy play COD4 after a very traumatizing tour of duty in Iraq was a very bad idea. Hell, HE should have known better than to play it. Of course I’m not blaming the guy but that was masochistic at best.

It’s sad that the US gov doesn’t do more to help vets with PTSD. They deserve better than that.

My sympathies to the family.

Also if any anti-game fucktard dares to use this to further his/her cause.. arrgh..

Jeffery Garrido says:

It is a sad thing to see when good men and women fight for our country and end up suffering PTSD. I am saddened by this and will be disgusted if the activists of anti gaming try to bring this in their agenda. Some people bring up very good points it can be used to help research PTSD and hopefully shorten the tours in Iraq. I am sickened that our troops have to spend more than 12 months which should be their right to come home after that, not a flipping 15 month tour. Basically extending the trauma and trouble people have to go through. Three months, for crying outloud, it angers me. The tour is 12 months, 12 MONTHS not 13 not 11 months, 1 year of tour and they should be able to come home. Sickening but a sad fact. Those that try to fuel this for their agenda to try and make a statement this deesensitizes the human mind are going to be dead wrong.

Sadly, believe it or not, the human mind is more sensitive then most people think and that this marine was living proof that after playing Call of Duty 4, something in the game triggered a previous event in his tour that caused him to go AWOL. Proof positive I think, sadly. My condolences out to the family.

CommonEffingSense says:

Soapboxing.. *rolls eyes* …pot, kettle. *sigh*

I spoke nothing whatsoever of being a ‘PTSD expert’ thru being in a armed forces family, nor a sufferer.

Is there ONE single mention of the EVENT or INDIVIDUAL mentioned in the article above in my previous post? Take your OWN damned “Don’t you dare take a Marines death..” -soapboxing and shove it.

Plain and simple. No party affiliations, no sides, just common fucking sense. To say there’s no difference between a justified mobilization of force and not.. I’ll just let your own ignorance speak for itself.

Repudiator ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Shit man, that’s horrible. The things our men go through for this retarded war.

If any disrespectful fools uses this to “further their agenda” Then I’ll jam my foot down their necks.

Tye The Czar says:

Your words are best left to be ignored.
    You are simply ignorant and predjudiced. In fact, I could pre-judge that you are a Fox News fanatic as well.

JMH says:

To Gameboy: Are you kidding? The guy was obviously suffering from PTSD and that can stay with you for the rest of your life. The debriefing so to speak is nothing to help soldiers deal with that crap. A military debriefing in short goes like this: OK men, you’re going on leave. Don’t drink and drive, don’t beat your wife, and don’t rape your dog.
    That’s pretty much it.

Ebonheart ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Joe

Watch the news sometime, there was artillary shells loaded with anthrax, I belive it was about 2000 shells. Granted shells had degraded to such a state where they couldn’t be fire but hey people know how to make powerful weapons from less.

@ Everyone who feels like posting pro-war/anti-war stance

This is NOT the place, this is a page of rememberance.

@ StealthKnight

I understand people will use this, but there are much better places than funerals and vigils. It’s sad the world has come to such a place where a soldiers death is no longer a time of rememberance; instead a time of protest and hate.

Nitherean ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I was hoping, they’d find him alive. Enough so, to get him in to professional help. Its a very sad, tragedy, and I do send my condolences to the family and friends.

I’m fearful this is happening at a more alarming rate, then the media or pentagon would wish to be reported. Us, US Citizens, can take steps to make sure, that if there is indeed another Eric Hall (an I’m sure there’s hundreds), that we have services set up to help. How do we do this? We elect those that will help, and not hinder the effort. Its apart our president and congress have no desire to help the situation.

But I wont talk my grumbles at our goverment, even though, this, lays squarely on their shoulders.

If any of you know, someone suffering from Depression or PTSD, learn as much as you can, and try to get that person to seek professional help. It’ll take a long time for them to heal and handle, but it will make them (and you), a better, happier person.

Gameboy says:

@ those who helped me understand debriefing

Thanks. I never really asked my relative what was involved in debriefing as I didn’t want to pry. Also, he seemed pretty well adjusted (even drove despite being told not to), so it didn’t seem like he needed it. I guess I though they talked to the soldier more to identify the ones that might have potential problems. Even if they did, I’m sure some would still fall through the cracks.

Razorblade says:

Wow that sucks. I can’t even imagine what it would be like to watch my best friend have his head cut off right in front of me. No wonder the poor guy flipped out.

[…] The badly wounded Iraq war veteran disappeared in February 3 after an intense session of Call of Duty 4, which according to his family may have triggered a flashback. Hall saw combat in Fallujah, where his leg was severely wounded and his buddy was decapitated in front of him. According to GamePolitics, Hall had previously caused a traffic accident while hallucinating an Iraqi road block. […]

StealthKnight ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

JumJum: That is very innaporpreate to say that about the Marine.

EbonHeart: Sadly exploiting events is how we get things done. We did that with the spanish american war, Civil war. The Topeca vs Board of Education case had to be exploited just to end segregation in America. I do agree that it sucks when people abuse such events. Are little friend will exploit it just like he did with the suicide of a well known Metal gear fan.

By the way for people that don’t know what a culvert is, it’s a enclosed conduit for the flow of water. just imagen it as a tunnel that water travels through.

vinniethewop says:

@getwellgamers, Now that you mention it, I worked CS for the OG CoD, and had a caller who was really worked up about it. Turns out the guy was a WWII vet, and he got so upset, he had to put his wife on the phone who explained to me that it wasn’t the game per se that got him upset, as it was just the situation. So I asked, “Ma’am, do you really think your husband should be playing this game?” I mean…I was amazed a WWII vet was into FPS’s, let alone one about WWII. But hey, I guess he really just wanted to shoot Nazis…

getwellgamers ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Terribly sad, but you’d have to wonder why someone so traumatized would be playing/watching Call of Duty 4 in the first place. Makes about as much sense as watching the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan.

vinniethewop says:

The Gunner’s Dream (from Pink Floyd’s Final Cut)

Floating down through the clouds
    Memories come rushing up to meet me now.
    In the space between the heavens
    and in the corner of some foreign field
    I had a dream.
    I had a dream.
    Good-bye Max.
    Good-bye Ma.
    After the service when you’re walking slowly to the car
    And the silver in her hair shines in the cold November air
    You hear the tolling bell
    And touch the silk in your lapel
    And as the tear drops rise to meet the comfort of the band
    You take her frail hand
    And hold on to the dream.
    A place to stay
    “Oi! A real one …”
    Enough to eat
    Somewhere old heroes shuffle safely down the street
    Where you can speak out loud
    About your doubts and fears
    And what’s more no-one ever disappears
    You never hear their standard issue kicking in your door.
    You can relax on both sides of the tracks
    And maniacs don’t blow holes in bandsmen by remote control
    And everyone has recourse to the law
    And no-one kills the children anymore.
    And no one kills the children anymore.

Night after night
    Going round and round my brain
    His dream is driving me insane.
    In the corner of some foreign field
    The gunner sleeps tonight.
    What’s done is done.
    We cannot just write off his final scene.
    Take heed of his dream.
    Take heed.

Jonathan, aka Soul ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“Please, please please please… I hope no one uses this to further an agenda…”

Chances are some jerk will :(.

CommonEffingSense says:

WTFever, guy.

Same thing as ‘justified’ homicide (ex:self defense, your home, intruder) versus non. Common sense says that of couse it’s present in either.

And common fucking sense says to reduce it by minimizing any non-justified behaviors (ie, present conflict).

Dont get it twisted; I COME from a family with a military background, I’m NOT against the idea of engagement with a purpose.. but don’t think that EVERYONE is deluded enough to think for one second what’s going on now is “justified”.

DoggySpew ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Poem is great. But I will add the lyrics of the band Muse from there song titled “Soldiers Poem”

Throw it all away
    Lets lose ourselves
    Cause theres no one left for us to blame
    Its a shame we’re all dying
    And do you think you deserve your freedom

How could you send us all far away from home
    When you know damn well that this is wrong
    I would still lay down my life for you

And do you think you deserve your freedom
    No I dont think you do

Theres no justice in the world

Theres no justice in the world

And there never was

Rocket Punch says:

Sad, but honestly this really had nothing to do with video games. His flashback, IMO, can be triggered in many different ways, not just with COD4. I am sure watching BHD or SPR will do it to hi also.

Not sure why GP keep reporting it……may to help the medis fan the flames (or blames)?

Ebonheart ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Gryphon

I’ve never heard the poem, but I’ve seen the final on plaques before.

And when he
    Goes to Heaven
    To Saint Peter
    He will tell
    ‘One more soldier
    Reporting Sir
    I’ve served my
    Time in Hell’

Semper Fi

Garret says:

wow Gryphon, That Poem was amazing, it;s really deep.

as for the story, it’s such a sad end, I don’t support legislation usually, but it might be worth putting a disclaimer on the game for future reference, the same with movies, just to let them know that it can cause flashbacks.

BlackIce, Dragunov Marksman ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

You’ve just reminded me.

And when He gets to Heaven
    To Saint Peter he will Tell:
    “One more soldier reporting sir
    I’ve served my time in hell”.

GryphonOsiris ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Nah, Jt is still waiting for his mail order, ACME brand Anti-video game evidence to arrive. Once he has it he’ll catch that road-runner for sure… I mean he’ll finally bury the gaming industry.

Geno ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Well I don’t think JT has attacked CoD4 yet. So I guess that’s his next target. That asshole better not use this against the game.

Meggie ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

PTSD can occur even outside of combat, as other posters have said. Look, the validity war stirs up passions on both sides, but the debate doesn’t have to be brought to this thread.

Having a sick loved one missing for a whole month must have been terrifying. I feel so sorry for his family.

GryphonOsiris ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This is why i really believe that the people who make decisions about VA services should not be some REMF, but someone who has had frontline combat experiance. They would know what those who had served went through, what kind of problems they’d suffer from, and how to best treat them.

It’s sad that events like these show the short-comings in the VA system.

To remember our fallen son, I have no words that can express the feel we all have, only a poem that have been spoken hundreds of thousands of times before.

The Final inspection by Anonymous

The Marine stood and faced God
    Which must always come to pass
    He hoped his shoes were shining
    Just as brightly as his brass.
    “Step forward now, you Marine,
    How shall I deal with you?
    Have you always turned the other cheek?
    To My Church have you been true?”
    The Marine squared his shoulders and
    said, “No, Lord, I guess I ain’t
    Because those of us who carry guns
    Can’t always be a saint.
    I’ve had to work most Sundays
    And at times my talk was tough,
    And sometimes I’ve been violent,
    Because the world is awfully rough.
    But, I never took a penny
    That wasn’t mine to keep…
    Though I worked a lot of overtime
    When the bills got just too steep,
    And I never passed a cry for help,
    Though at times I shook with fear,
    And sometimes, God forgive me,
    I’ve wept unmanly tears.
    I know I don’t deserve a place
    Among the people here,
    They never wanted me around
    Except to calm their fears.
    If you’ve a place for me here, Lord,
    It needn’t be so grand,
    I never expected or had too much,
    But if you don’t, I’ll understand.”
    There was a silence all around the throne
    Where the saints had often trod
    As the Marine waited quietly,
    For the judgment of his God,
    “Step forward now, you Marine,
    You’ve borne your burdens well,
    Walk peacefully on Heaven’s streets,
    You’ve done your time in Hell.”

LightWarrior ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This bothers me mostly because maybe this wouldn’t happened if he got that Vetern treatment he was refused in the first place….

Jason Mulholland says:

My condolences go out to the family.

But the potential for a political scandal is nauseating, Florida? Jack Thompson is a Florida attorney.

jkdjr25 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

My prayers and condolences go out to the family.

This story also fills me with something approaching white hot rage. I’ve felt for a long time now that there’s not enough done for the wounded soldiers. It seems like we just patch up their bodies and send them home with a pat on the back. There needs to be follow up and psychological care as well. I think this story, and the others like it, are a clear indicator of just how much reform we need in this area.

Catch 33 says:

It’s in human nature to do things to ourselves that we shouldn’t. Especially when we’re very far from in our right minds, which is unfortunately the case for most sufferers of PTSD.

GRIZZAM 512 says:

FACT:The great Audie Murphy (hero of WWII) had Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome, and was one of the first to bring attention to it.FACT: The damn thing’s an epidemic among most soldiers.THEORY: In a controlled setting, you could probably use FPS games to help with the condition.

SpiralGray ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

It’s a sad story, but should someone with PTSD really be playing a game about war? That’s seems a little irresponsible. It’s like someone with liver disease swilling a few at the bar. One has to take responsibility for one’s own health. For that matter, Saving Private Ryan, Full Metal Jacket, or the endless war coverage could have done the same thing.

Ghost Coins ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Not quite sure what to say here. The POW/MIA tribute seems appropriate because, by all indications, his mind never really came back from the sands. Rest well brother, and godspeed.

axia777 says:

Yes, it can happen to civilians, but it is more prevalent in Soldiers than any other segment of society. It also is often much more severe in them as well. I have not been in the military, but I do have family member and close friends that have. What most of these people go through is far worse than any car accident or similar civilian experience.

I still maintain that this is the responsibility of the US Military and the Federal Government.

RIP to all fallen soldiers.

Ebonheart ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Mudwhistle69er

I’m going to school you in a little psycology. PTSD can happen from even seemingly minor events, such as a near miss on the freeway, it’s the inability to form a proper chping mechignism.

I had PTSD after being stabbed, so it can be triggered from minor events. So get off you damn soap box and show the Marine some proper respect.

Sorry things like that just piss me off that someone uses a member of the military members death to further their soap box.

@ GP
    Can you by chance put Semper Fi somewhere in the post?

Joker ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@mudwhistle – Please leave your politics out of it. PTSD happens in the ‘just’ wars as well. It’s also prevelant throughout the civilian communitity. Traumatic Stress isn’t limited to the battlefield. I feel that having served in a number of conflicts during a 22 year stint in the service give me a bit of a platform to speak from, but I’d not say that for example, a bank teller who’s been held up at gunpoint couldn’t have similar problems.

Thoughts and well wishes to this Vet’s family.

axia777 says:

I blame the US Government and the Military. They are not doing enough for people coming back with PTSD. In fact they have never done enough for these people. These soldiers serve with dedication and honor, but when they get home the Military and Government just dump them pell mell right back in to normal civilian society. After months or years of hardcore action this is not an intelligent thing to do to the soldiers. They need time to readjust or even have serious treatment for PTSD. People should not blame a game. The problem started long before this young soldier ever touched COD4.

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“Have any games tried to simulate PTSD?”

Not that I’m aware of, but I do know some therapists have used FPSs to try to trigger certain emotions in PTSD patients in order to help treat them. It’s not usually the patient playing though, just watching the action on a screen.

Some games have done flashback type events. MGS 3, where you go down the ‘Sorrow river’ surrounded by all the ghosts of those you’ve killed up until that point in the game. Max Payne, where you twice ‘re-live’ the trauma of finding your wife and child murdered (those were whacked levels…)

Proximity Alert says:

My condolences to the family.

I have a cousin in the Air Force right now. He’ll be off to Iraq again in a few weeks. My family is terrified for him.

This young man is no different. And although I don’t know what PTSD is like, I can understand, even if its the tiniest bit. A teacher of mine had flashbacks very rarely. He’s an ex-Marine. I forget where he served though… I want to say Vietnam… but that might not be right…

Aliasalpha says:

Have any games tried to simulate PTSD? It’d be kind of interesting to have a game where it looks like an FPS, you fight one level and you’re either wounded & evac’d or win but wither way the actual full game is an RPG or adventure where you have to cope with the aftermath. Might be a good way to raise awareness of the condition.

Mudwhistle69er says:

I have a great idea, stop sending our people over to other countries to fight in unjust wars. Then there is no post traumatic stress to suffer from. Games are games and war is war, I feel that his mental distress would have surfaced sooner or later dispite playing the game.

Zerodash ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Post Troumatic Stress Disorder is very real, and is hard for non-sufferers to understand. A close relative of mine was hit by a car years ago (nearly died). To this day, she has nightmares about it and has trouble at road crossings.

Its not a matter of “if” certain anti-game folks exploit this, just a matter of “when”.

Condolences to the family.

TheNova says:

We can only hope that this case will be used to further the research to PTSD, got a couple of friends in my dorm who are in the army/marine corps nd I hope all goes well for them when they deploy.

Silverwolf says:

Being debriefed wouldn’t probably made a difference. I’m a veteran myself, but I’ll give you an example. Have you ever had a song stuck in your head? Well… just add images to that! One thing that helps is meditation, taking control of your mind and focusing on something else. Believe it or not this is harder than what it sounds, but once achieved this can help immensely. To any veterans out there take my advice buy a book on meditation and take control.

TBone Tony ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Also Post Troumatic Stress Disorder is so hard to overcome, you don;t know what it is like to live with it until you have experienced it in some way or another.

It is so hard to control something like that when it happens in the mind…it is something that I feel no one can fully control or get over.

TBone Tony ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

My heart goes out to all the friends of families of this latest victim of the trouma of war…

And I hope, for gods sake hope to everyone from Hilary to the Jack of all trades never tries to use this for any Videogame Bashing….because it is just too much in bad taste…

I don’t know what they go though, but I sure hope that people who return home from war hope that they go to see someone to talk to about their problems if they know themselves that their war expeirience has stressed them out so badly.

As we say in Australia, less we forget….

RJ says:

My dad was in Vietnam and still have flashbacks to this day. He sometimes have to take sleeping pills just to get a good night’s rest. When the Iraq war started, my mom had to limit the amount of time he could watch the news reports because she found him crying one day while watching. Whatever some people believe, PTSD is real and may never go away.

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

PTSD is the forgotten ailment. Not enough is understood about, and not enough resources are put in place to help deal with it.

Sounds like he may have been trying to escape a brush fire by hiding in the culvert. He may also have had another flashback and panicked. But the official investigation is still ongoing.

Belgarion89 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The transition from full-time garrison life state-side is hard enough. War veterans will still try to take cover whenever they hear someone say “Wow, look at that!” even if they haven’t been near actual combat. I can’t even imagine what it must be like for someone like this Marine.

As for the agenda, this will more than likely be used to enhance PTSD awareness. With any luck, it’ll also be used to shorten tours.

JB ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Just a thought and I hate to take this off topic but doesn’t stuff like this kind of help the argument that video games don’t desensitize us to violence. Obviously I don’t know Eric Hall at all but being as young as he was chances are he played a lot of violent games. And after witnessing what he did first hand he really wasn’t prepared for it.

Ebonheart ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Gameboy

It’s more of what’s referred to as “Wife Beating Debriefing” it’s an unpleasent term where small groups of people returning from a conflict are “briefed” on how to readjust to realitively peaceful area.

Wife Beating Debriefing I know is used in the USAF, not sure about the other brances.

Gameboy says:

Wow. How sad…

I thought soldiers had to be debriefed after returning home. A family member of mine was in Iraq a few years back and was told not to drive until after he had been debriefed (for fear of flashbacks). Was he not yet debriefed? Or was he just that upset?

Ebonheart ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ CommonEffingSense

Didn’t we say no soap boxing here, and woop dee dee have a bowl of me. Coming from a Military family doesn’t make you an expert on PTSD. FYI I come from a military, oh heres the kicker joined the military and had PTSD.

And wow saying “There’s a diffrence between just war and a unjust war” is BS! I can tell you right now, only people who have a pleasure in killing would not go “I just shot a man, what have I done?!” I can tell you from the way I am, I would have PTSD from killing a man in self defense or accidental homicide.

Don’t you dare take a Marines death or any brance of service from ANY country to further pro-war or anti-war soap boxing. A death is a death and honorable war or not, this man died with honor so don’t you dare attempt to disgrace him.

Once again I’m sorry soap boxing from a soldiers death just angers me to no end.

axia777 says:

Many people here feel the same as I and millions of other Americans do. The care for our Soldiers is inept and out of control. It is one of the major issues I have waiting to here about from any of the candidates this election season in any of the political parties. I have heard next to nothing. What a sad situation.

jay says:

This just goes to prove that we should take better care of our soldiers. This almost has nothing to do with the video game except the fact that it was a trigger as driving a car was. We cannot shut soldiers off from activities that make them citizens. What we need to do is provide better psychological care to soldiers returning home from combat zones. By preference, we should attempt to not send soldiers to combat zones at all.

catboy_j says:

I feel deeply sorry for this man and his family nya. Any sane person rather for or against the war should know this is a sad incident, and those who will exploit this should not sleep at night nya.

Cpl H C Varn ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

When I came home from the first Gulf War we didn’t get any debriefings but our experience was a much shorter one than what the current vets are experencing. My condolances go out to the family. As a former active duty Marine I have to say that families of returning vets should be told to limit exposure to triggers such as games, movies etc. to prevent something like this from happening. This Marine never should have been playing this game knowing the condition he was in. Believe it or not sometimes a ballon popping can be enough to trigger a flashback in some cases. Hopefully Thompson and others won’t use this tragedy as a tool in their misguided efforts to destroy the gaming community.

Gray17 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

A sad ending to this story, but at least there’s some closure for the family.

He’d probably been debriefed, but PSTD isn’t the sort of thing that goes away easily.

Unfortunately it’s almost inevitable that someone will try and use this for an agenda. I can only hope the only agenda it gets used for is to push for better mental care for our veterans.

jadedcritic ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Along the vein of all the folks commenting about how PTSD is hard to understand, that’s true. In my last job I met a lady who’d contracted in Iraq, but she was mostly telecommuting from home because it’s winter in the rockies, and apparently this particular manifestation meant that she couldn’t drive in the snow. Don’t misunderstand me, I never disrespected it, it was what it was, but I’d always wondered how her mind had somehow connected snow with iraq.

reading this, think maybe I had missed the point. Think maybe it wasn’t about the snow so much as just plain driving in adverse conditions.

Ah well. Of course, condolences to the family. Unfortunately, I’m inclined to believe disorders of this nature rise to the surface eventually. If it hadn’t been CoD, it might just as easily have been something else. As far as I’m concerned, he should probably be considered a casualty of the war.