The Bar Trial of Jack Thompson (Part 2): Judge Who Removed Thompson From Alabama GTA Case Testifies

This is the second part of an investigative series that Miami attorney Jack Thompson apparently doesn’t want you to read.

The game industry nemesis today threatened GamePolitics and its parent company, the Entertainment Consumers Association (ECA) with legal action over GP’s detailed coverage of Thompson’s recent trial on professional misconduct charges by the Florida Bar.

Thompson’s view seems to be that we can’t print selected excerpts from the trial testimony, but rather that we have a legal responsibility to report on the testimony of all witnesses, including Thompson, who himself testified for five days.

That’s nonsense. That would mean that GP’s First Amendment rights are null and void, that we don’t get to determine what we print, but rather that Jack Thompson does.

To put it mildly, that’s not happening.

Besides, there are good reasons to print selected excerpts. Space is obviously a consideration. In addition, some of the witnesses against Thompson don’t have any connection to video game issues. We’re skipping them. The transcripts we’ve obtained from five game-related witnesses run to hundreds of pages. Excerpts are a necessity. What’s more, the excerpts don’t just include allegations against Thompson. They also include some of Thompson’s objections as well as his cross-examination of the witnesses. In addition, we’ve made arrangements to acquire Thompson’s closing argument (although not from him; he has declined to provide it) and will feature that as a stand-alone.

By way of introduction, part one ran yesterday and provides much of the back story of the series. In today’s update, GamePolitics presents excerpts from the testimony of Alabama Circuit Court Judge James Moore. As longtime GamePolitics readers will recall, on November 18th, 2005 Judge Moore revoked Thompson’s pro hac vice (visiting) right to practice law in Alabama. The drastic action by Judge Moore essentially removed Thompson from Strickland vs. Sony, a wrongful death lawsuit seeking $600 million from a variety of video game industry defendants, including Grand Theft Auto publisher Rockstar Games.

Judge Moore began his lengthy testimony on November 26, 2007 and completed it the following day. Indeed, the transcripts of his direct testimony and Thompson’s cross examination exceed 300 pages. The following excerpts represent only a small portion of Moore’s testimony:

(GP: Under questioning by Florida Bar prosecutor Sheila Tuma, Judge Moore detailed his reasons for revoking Thompson’s pro hac vice status. As alleged by Judge Moore, these included: failure to disclose material facts in Thompson’s application; extra-judicial comments made by Thompson; and violating rules of conduct. We note that Thompson disputes these allegations. In the excerpted transcripts, MOORE is Judge James Moore. JT is Thompson, TUMA is prosecutor Sheila Tuma and DT is Judge Dava Tunis, who is presiding over the case)

TUMA: …You indicated to that Mr. Thompson violated various rules in Alabama. Can you explain to the Court what conduct Mr. Thompson engaged in when he violated those rules?

MOORE: (following a lengthy objection from Thompson which was overruled): One was an ex-parte written communication to me in an attempt to interject himself in the Court’s management of [cop killer Devin Moore’s] criminal trial; also his conduct towards opposing counsel… [saying] repeatedly that the corporate defendants and the counsel are lying…

(later Thompson objects that he is being subject to an ex post facto Florida Bar regulation that didn’t exist at the time of his alleged offense; Judge Tuma overrules his objection, however…)

(After revoking Thompson’s pro hac vice status in 2005, Judge Moore directed Thompson not to contact his Court any further. Thompson allegedly did not comply with the order.)

TUMA: Judge Moore, after you [revoked his pro hac vice], did you indicate to Mr. Thompson not to contact you any further since he was out of the case?

MOORE: Yes… Because he was continuously sending documents to my office; three, four, five times a day, easy… plus, when he would send his media alerts out… when he sends them to these media people, then they call my office. We got calls from all over the world about this, and it was extremely disruptive… my staff is one lady. That’s it. She’s it. We preside over three courts in three counties… it was very disruptive.

TUMA: How would you receive the correspondence?

TUMA: Can you just maybe try to explain briefly why you determined to file the [Bar] complaint…?

MOORE: Because his actions were outrageous…

DT: Overruled.

JT: That’s a characterization.

DT: Overruled…

(later, Judge Moore is asked to discuss a 2005 communication from Thompson…)

TUMA: Can you tell the Court what that is?

MOORE: That is a copy of an e-mail from Mr. Thompson dated November the 7th, 2005… It’s addressed to me….

TUMA: Please slowly read that paragraph.

MOORE: "I was in your courtroom, Judge, and I felt like Alice in Wonderland must have felt. It’s okay for Mr. Smith to act like a Mafia thug, but it’s unethical for me to point out the thuggery. What in hell – literally – is going on here? This is utter, utter nonsense and you’re watching it, Judge… it is open season in your Courthouse and courtroom on Christians who think that there are such things as decency and sexual material harmful to minors and murder simulators and so forth. This has got to stop."

(Judge Moore is subsequently asked by prosecutor Tuma about Thompson’s case-fixing allegations concerning Alabama lawyer Clatus Junkin…)

TUMA: Can you tell the Court what you understand about Mr. Thompson’s statements about a fixer being involved in this case?

MOORE: Yes… he set out these allegations in there about Clatus Junkin saying that he could fix the case with me, that he had control of me… or something to that effect.

TUMA: And at any time, did you have any discussions with Clatus Junkin that you would allow him to appear in this case and that the case would be fixed because he was appearing?

(GP: Judge Moore is then asked to read letters sent by Thompson to high-level officials of the state of Alabama. One letter asks for a criminal investigation of Clatus Junkin regarding the alleged case-fixing before Judge Moore.)

TUMA: Judge Moore… Can you tell the court how the receipt of all the documents you received from Mr. Thompson affected you?

JT: Objection; irrelevant.

DT: Overruled.

MOORE: For one, as I testified, it was really disturbing to the operation of my office. That, I think, is the main thing… You know, the other thing, it’s just terribly frustrating to me as a Judge in this situation that he can publish these things to the press, unfounded, completely untrue, and I believe they are – they are very hurtful and harmful to the Court and the way this Court operates.

I can’t operate or any judge can’t operate until the public has confidence in us and he attacks that confidence and its just absolutely baseless.

NEXT: Jack Thompson cross-examines Judge Moore.

Spiderbait says:

I think JT doesn’t really realize what a conspiracy is. If a large number of people hate you and are sabotaging you then they simply don’t like you. If a large number of people hate you AND ARE WORKING TOGETHER to sabotage you then there’s a conspiracy.

JC says:

PURE GOLD #1:
    MOORE: Because his actions were outrageous…

DT: Overruled.

JT: That’s a characterization.

DT: Overruled…

PURE GOLD #2:
    JT: ‘What in hell – literally – is going on here?’

So actually, the trial took place in the firey pits from beyond, down deep in the dark place where Satan dwells? Why are they still continuing this trial.. they just proved Hell exists! Thank you JT!

Funky J ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

TO GP:

Sorry to insult you, but you and this site DO profit off Jack Thompson.

Every time you do a story about him, it gets the most comments and the the most diggs, which equals the most traffic.

You may not be taking trips on your private jet because of the profits and smoking cuban cigars, but it’s enough to keep this website running.

You may be on a contract that has nothing to do with pagehits, but the people who pay for the website aren’t complaining when you do another story on him, either.

JackDon'tKnowJack says:

What I meant — because I completely agree with the essence of your conclusion that I was talking to a hater, I just don’t know which hater — was that whenever someone starts telling me to do this and do that, I always ask myself, “Why are they giving a piss and what’s in it for them?” In other words, I question their motives. And I thank you for having my back.

And I know exactly who Mr. Sterling is. There’s very little in the Jack Thompson Universe that I don’t know about. After all, as yowzers quiet rightly pointed out, he is my obsession.

HurricaneJesus says:

@ JDKJ

I am feeling a bit thick for not knowing what you mean by that…..If you don’t know who this Jim Sterling is, then just google ‘jack thompson tells me to rape a child’ and it should be clear.

I apologize for being thick about this.

Mnementh2230 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Any chance you could put up a link for PayPal donations? I’d donate to the “buy Dennis a beer” fund… although, with the amount of donations you might get from this series, it might end up being more like “buy Dennis a new TV” :)

Great series so far! That whack-job hasn’t got a leg to stand on when he threatens to sue you, and he knows it. Keep it up!

Lanodantheon ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

My 2 cents:

1. JT needs some Pheonix Wright in his life….

2. Put the quotes on a T-Shirt. I’ll make the Cafe Press store myself.

HurricaneJesus says:

So Jim I guess you took a break from molesting children directly instead of through R* to come over here and say ‘Hi’.

How are things over at the DToid?

Josh says:

Oh this is so great, thanks GP. Are all the files you’re receiving in computer form, can you easily search for and reveal how many objections JT gives and the number of times he gets shot down? So much humiliation makes my heart warm and fuzzy.

yowzers says:

@ JackDon’tKnowJack:

Well, to each his own, right? But maybe you should change your name to “JackDon’tKnownJackButWantsToEmulateHisQuirkyStyle”.

JackDon'tKnowJack says:

Dude, I’ve never fronted on my obession. In fact, I’ve readily and repeated admitted it. You ain’t telling me nothing I don’t already know.

yowzers says:

@ JackDon’tKnowJack:

I don’t mean to get ugly, but gottdarn, dude…you’re almost as obsessed as Jack himself. I didn’t think that my comment required two separate responses…

Perhaps you should come up with your responses and comments BEFORE typing. The world’s not going to blow up before you can get your last word in… 😉

Shadow Darkman, Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson, ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Maybe, but at least A) We don’t get drunk and B) we don’t get alcohol poisoning.

JackDon'tKnowJack says:

Further assuming that you are subbing for EZK in his role as a forum mod, I’ll take your advice as non-binding. But thanks, anyway.

yowzers says:

@ JackDon’tKnowJack:

My God, man, don’t you have something better to do? Leave your two cents and then come back later!

@ GP:

Thanks for the coverage. JT and I have been e-mailing back and forth, and he seems to enjoy throwing punches wherever he can. He is truly desperate for attention, no matter the circumstances. Keep up the good work; JT coverage is every bit as relevant as coverage of mergers and court rulings, and it’s actually interesting for a change 😉

JackDon'tKnowJack says:

I stated that confusingly. Put differently, if you don’t counter-sue and, in so doing, make yourself a counter-complainant, you ain’t getting no legal fees back.

JackDon'tKnowJack says:

That’s absolutely true. But, as you say, your collecting as a plaintiff on your damages from the malicious prosecution, not on your legal fee as a defendant to the initial suit on which you counter-sued.

And not to discourage, but the slope up to victory in a malicious prosecution case is usually pretty steeply pitched.

Jim Sterling ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This man has absolutely no concept of self-containment and now all his showboating is finally biting him in the arse. I love it.

I get the feeling he wanted to be a lawyer because he saw it on TV and thought it looked cool. When he finally saw how boring and drudging real life courtrooms are, he probably felt very jaded and crushed. Now he’s trying to be just like the lawyers he saw on TV but it’s making him look stupid.

And he thinks GAMES are a bad influence on people.

Dog_Welder ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@JDKJ — It depends on the jurisdiction, but you CAN counter sue for damages as long as you can prove that the accusations are completely and utterly baseless and filed purely out of malice. I’m sure Dennis has enough documentation to prove the malice part.

paul ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Funky J,

You may or may not be who or what you say you are, but anyone in the industry would be able to clearly see what a threat jack is.

Quite simply, fox reach to him everytime they have a slow news day, and the need to shake a boogyman out of the closet in the form of video games.

Everytime another shooting happens, Jack is there linking it to videogames.

For most people, they can see the BS, but you can better believe that some people some where buy it.

This man is actually, totally, insane, and i dont care what he claims about his test. This man is a menace, and a disgrace to the bar. Thrity years ago, he would have been banging on about comic books, hippies and the beatles.

20 years ago he was attacking rap

Who knows what he’ll go for, where he sucessful in hamstringing the video game industry.

I personally would not be surprised if you were Jack or one of his cronies

JackDon'tKnowJack says:

For those of you are really interested in Thompson’s “the Rule never existed at the time therefore ex poste facto” argument, here’s a link to a motin he filed in which he himself sets out his argument:

I can’t offer any commentary on it because I gave up trying to read the whole thing. Way too confusing. Which I think is the effect that Thompson intended to impart. Befuddling with bullshit is his forte.

If any hardier souls can manage to make it all the way through and have any well thought out opinions on its validity, please share.

But, once again, I suspect — without having completly read it– that it’s up there with his “you didn’t effect a Loyalty Oath” argument.

Ebonheart ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Rachel

The Tack Jhompson: Take Three story. Aliasalpha still hasn’t gotten back to me on the Gary’s mod contract. Be a great mechina like RvB, only more cursing and lawsuits out the yin yang!

@ Funky

Learn and show respect. The Tack is a threat, he’s ill informed spreading malcouse slander, outright lies, out ragouse lawsuits that have no bases in fact or theory for that matter. Did I mention the OUTRAGES LAWSUITS? And let’s not forget he’s at the head of this crusade attempting an out right ban on game sales. Now stop being ill informed and the rest of GP readers who find Tack entaining wont pick out the LARGE holes in your arguements.

P.S. Don’t know much history do you? When you leave a supposed person who “Isn’t a threat alone” they make bigger problems. The US and the UK thought Hitler would cool off after Poland. If you remember thats how WW2 started. Thought I’d give a well known example.

@ GP

Dennis, on behalf of GP readers who love laughing at Tack. I’m sorry that he used you and GP to vent unfounded hatred for I’m not really sure what. Also you rock.

Ebonheart ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Anonymous United

Cracker Jack boxes? Those one’s with Florida certification are sold world wide? Hmm gotta find some then, pain in the butt to find anything in Kansas.

And Tack is just so cute! That huggable ball of fluffy razor blades of narracasism and terrates. I’d hug him but him might cut me or sue me.

Rachel says:

Someone mentioned a movie…for some reason, I’m picturing Steve Carrell as Jack. If any of you watch “The Office,” you’ll probably see why. Yeah, he does the feel-good movies, but he’s probably funniest as these self-important blow-hard characters.

tollwutig ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@GP You do realized you have the basis for a Biography here don’t you? I know you hate wading through all the crap JT has given you over the past couple of years but if you think about it maybe you can finally get some compensation for it.

@Funky J – Profit?!? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA while the ECA has Dennis under contract now, he ran this site for 2 years without ads on his own time. If you’ll notice the main GP website there is a big lack of something, advertisements. The ECA doesn’t make money from the number of hits GP receives. After reading Dennis’s articles for the past few years, I can assure you he has quite a few bones to pick with the Gaming Industry itself.

JT: Judge, Judge, for heaven’s sake.(They’re citing a rule that didn’t exist and they’re citing that rule as authoritative against me for something I did prior to the rule’s coming into existence) and this Judge [Moore] is not competent to testify as to whether or not I violated any Florida Bar rules. He’s not licensed in Florida…

READ THE FIRST PART!!! (The one I put in parantheses)

tony selby ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“To borrow your analogy, if after watching Rocky I through IV but before watching Rocky V, I predict that Rocky’s gonna kick some ass and win the belt, my prediction ain’t exactly baseless.”

well i’m sorry to tell you that your prediction would be wrong, as rocky doesn’t ever even fight for the belt during Rocky 5

E. Zachary Knight ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I would be afraid to do a John Bruce drinking game. I don’t drink alchohol so I am not afraid to get poisoned. I am simply afraid of how many 2 liter bottles I will drink through by the end of his testimony. I picture at least six.

Might I say, these last two JT stories have taken off. I haven’t been able to keep up with them. Good thing everyone is being civil.

mogbert ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

You know, we could just take the funny excerpts and print them:
    JT: Objection!
    DT: Overruled.
    JT: Objection!
    DT: Overruled.
    JT: Objection!
    DT: Overruled.
    JT: Objection!
    DT: Overruled.

Admint it, you know as soon as the decision is announced, he will claim the suit was a farce because the Judge didn’t sustain all of his objections. Litterally, I don’t understand his method. Does he really think that by doing things over and over (like his filings and objections) that eventually they will work? The problem is that the more you use them, the weaker they get, the percentage chance they will work decreases, not increases. It’s almost as if he thinks law is random and if he keeps trying things eventually something will work.

As for there not being a law about what he was doing yet,
    A: if a law was written due to his behavior, it can’t be construed as a good thing.
    B: Doesn’t make what he did right.

JackDon'tKnowJack says:

I feel you. Rushing to judgement on limited information isn’t a wise move.

However, when you add to the mix the fact that 99.999% of the times that Jack goes to court, he does little more than mouth legal non sequitors and factual nonsense with the result that he gets his ass handed to him, the assumption — perhaps even the conclusion — that this is a repeat performance by Jack and that the usual results will obtain isn’t exactly far-fetched.

DKH says:

You’re absolutely right- I won’t deny that. I have just in the past gotten irked at how people will see two pages out of three hundred and say “Jack Thompson got his ass kicked!” and such. Imagine having the Rocky III cut so we only see Clubber hit Rocky.

I’m just saying we have a portion of the story- we would do well to remember that.

tony selby ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@the people discusing rules for the drinking game

how much do you drink for each time jack pleads the 5th during his questioning from ms Tuma?

JackDon'tKnowJack says:

I stand corrected. Best I can tell from the articles is that it is in excess of 300 pages (which GP states is the count for the Judge Moore-related portions). I guess I pulled a Jack Thompson and just made that number up in my head. My bad.

Aliasalpha says:

@Shadow Darkman, Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson

There’s also the massive cost of an alcohol based drinking game of this magnitude, a 2 litre bottle of pepsi would cost what, 2-3 bucks depending on specials & locations. How much for 2 litres of any alcohol, even cheap crappy stuff? Probably a lot more.

DavCube ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“MOORE: (following a lengthy objection from Thompson which was overruled)”

I think i can fill that gap.

JT: I object because this is devastating to my case!!

Liar Liar FTW

Shadow Darkman, Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson, ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

EXACTLY!!! That, and some of us either can’t or don’t drink alcohol, anyway, so why exclude them from the fun?

Gameboy says:

@ Those who don’t understand why GP isn’t linking to the full transcript

The way I understand it, this transcript is not available online. Dennis has a printout of the transcript that he paid to have printed. What we are reading is what he is taking the time to type into the article. Apparently there is a lot of testimony (isn’t one witness’ testimony 43 pages?). In addition, Jack’s own testimony (read rant) lasted five days, so there’s no telling how many pages that is.

As I see it, Dennis can’t make the full transcript available due to time and space. Why not? Because this full transcript is probably somewhere between 100 and 1,000 pages long. I’m betting closer to 1,000.

@Dog Welder, who wrote”

“If Jack does try to sue, you should be able to recover legal fees from him.”

The common law (at least in the U.S.) rarely provides for recovery of legal fees by successful defendants. Think of the chilling effect that would have on plaintiffs. Hardly any lawsuits would be filed if the plaintiff knew beforehand they would get stuck with the defendant’s legal fees if they didn’t win.

Aliasalpha says:

I think that jack gains what all people of this type do, he thinks that people fear his “basement full of supercomputers that he uses when working for the government on things so secret you can’t even imagine them”

Believe it or not, that is exactly what a tit on a forum I used to moderate said in his “you guys don’t play nice, I’m running away from home!” message and jacks diatribes certainly seem to share that feel.

@Ed Orman
    Don’t suppose 2K Australia need a good network admin do they?

JackDon'tKnowJack says:

Let’s assume Jack does have a point about the whole “Alabama rule versus Florida rule; didn’t exist at the time” nonsense. Let’s further assume that it’s a winning point. O.K. Fine. He wins that point. Great.

There are still a slew of allegations against him that have absolutely nothing to with Alabama and non-existent rules (e.g., Judge Friedman’s compalint against him).

If you’re charged with three counts of murder and you beat one of those counts but not the other two, guess what? You’re still on the bus headed upstate.

jadedcritic ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I thought the first amendment had to do with congress enacting no law that prohibits a free press. Not entirely sure how that would constrict the courts from that. Don’t misunderstand me, I wouldn’t quibble with Dennis’ right to publish how and what he chooses; but I’m not so sure any suit (should one actually happen), would revolve around the first amendment. Then again, as Jack has reminded, I am most definitely, not a lawyer. = )

I’m probably one of a minority not necessarily looking forward to the conclusion of all this, I’m not so certain it will conclude. I suspect Jack-o will tie it up in appeals of all kinds for years. What’s interesting to me, is what he hopes to gain by threatening Dennis (again). I mean, does he honestly believe that if Dennis had somehow linked the entire doc, that we all would read the whole thing and somehow have an epiphany? Oh! Now I understand! I’ve spent all my time playing video games and hating Jack Thompson, I should stop! (Champagne and caviar fall from the heavens) (end of sarcasm)

Dog Welder ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

A couple of things.

1) Keep up the good work. I know this is probably time consuming for you, but this is very entertaining AND informative. We’re getting a good look at just how incompetent Jack really is at handling himself in court. (That’s an opinion, Jack. Not subject to libel. If you were a REAL lawyer, you’d know that.)

2) From what I know of 1st Amendment law, you’re doing nothing wrong here. If Jack does try to sue, you should be able to recover legal fees from him. I’m sure you already know this, but after Jack has threatened anybody and everybody with legal action and DONE NOTHING ABOUT IT, I think you have nothing to worry about. He might be riled up enough to act this time, but he won’t have his lawyerin’ license by the time this gets a court date.

DKH says:

Please keep in mind these are excerpts- how frequently Thompson objects isn’t something we’re able to really know, based on these fragments. Also, he does have a point about being held to a rule that didn’t exist at that point… I’d be interested in learning about that.

Anonymous says:

So let me get this right, based on what GP and JDKJ say….

1. Jack wants Dennis to provide everything about the case, whether it is relevant to video games or not.
    2. Jack is refusing to provide his closing argument.
    3. Jack isn’t providing the full trial testimony.
    4. GP might not be able to print such anyway due to:
    4.A) cost
    4.B) laws regarding such information.

Assuming the #4a, if it is so important to Jack he can foot the bill for ALL OF IT(the best defense against GP would be to provide EVERYTHING, not throwing selected bits back at the accused).

For #4b, I don’t think someone who claims GP has the “legal responsibility to report on the testimony of all witnesses…” would know about such a thing. And if such information is accessible/obtainable, Jack can spam it everywhere and put it all up *in full* on the website he never uses.

It would not surprise me if #4 is really the reason he is threatening Dennis to post every thing… Hmm, even though his hearing is OVER, it wouldn’t surprise me if he is trying to come up with an related excuse to invalidate whatever ruling(“blah blah these selected, libelous statements should invalidate your eventual ruling because blah blah BLAH…”).

I doubt he will do it, and he probably realizes releasing such info would do even greater damage to him. Sure his past “first amendment” actions could be buried in some old library’s microfilm and easily ignored, but not online and especially not with the kind of attention he is getting from various communities(us, lawyers, victims of recent shootings, etc).

JackDon'tKnowJack says:

As I understand it, the professional rules of conduct that Jack is alleged by the Florida Bar to have violated are Florida’s rules of conduct only. The Bar’s referral to the Florida Supreme Court (i.e., their indictment of him) only cites Florida rules as having been violated by Jack.

However, much of the actual violative conduct that the Florida Bar thinks Jack engaged in occurred in Alabama. But that the conduct occurred in Alabama or relates to an Alabama judge’s court orders or the Alabama courts’ rules for pro hace vice admission, etc., don’t really matter.

For example, there is an allegation that he made misrepresentations to the Alabama court in his application for pro hac vice admission. O.K. Fine. But the Bar have charged him under Florida’s “candor to the tribunal” Rule, which doesn’t require that the tribunal be a Florida tribunal — any tribunal, whether in Alabama or Alaska, will do.

So, if you ask me, his whole “Florida rule versus Alabama rule” schtick has no real relation to the charges that the Florida Bar have brought against him because the Florida Bar’s not charging that he violated any of Alabama’s rules. Jack’s just doing what Jack does best: blowing smoke up everybody’s ass.

Ed Orman ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ FunkyJ

I also work in the Australian industry (for 2K Australia). I get the opportunity to work on very creative projects, so I’m not feeling stifled by the industry or publishers just now.

I DO find it frustrating that there’s no R rating – I hope there is one in the future so that I can possibly work on a wider variety of games without fear of not seeing them released here.

I DO think it’s worthwhile keeping an eye on anything that might adversely affect the industry – sound bites from Fox News have a habit of turning up on Today Tonight. Better to to be armed against misinformation.

P.S. These are my views only, not the views of my employer.
    P.P.S. Did you have to be such a jerk in your comment?

Anonymous United against JT member No. 1 (aka Prometheus) says:

I think you wanna get your facts straight, these license don’t involve any tests at all, in fact, they comes in a box of cracker jacks! Imagine that 😉

I know it’s hard to believe, so was I until I got one license today, I’m not sure why it says John Bruce Thompson tho… :S

I’m wondering if I can get refund for my box…

Kyle Gagnon says:

@tony Selby
    First let me thank you for being level headed in your presentation rather than giving me the sound flaming I half expected. You present a convincing counter argument in defense of Dennis (I still don’t know where you found the author information, this is something GP could improve on in the future, the writers deserve credit after all)

The initial statement seemed to boarder on flagrantly ignoring an entire side of the story in a way which reminds me somewhat of a particular Fox News smear aimed at Mass Effect. I don’t want that treatment for anyone, even Jack Thompson.

I was also under the mistaken belief that the entirety of several documents and testimonies (one of which is described as being 43 pages long) were linked to in the original argument. This is not the case (though perhaps it should be) and so my initial assumption of unfair reportership is proven inaccurately. Which I may have known if I had read the whole article, but as I said before I just don’t care enough about the whole affair to do so. I care more about GP being a trustworthy and unbiased news source than I care about this particular bit of news.

Then again nothing can be truly unbiased, and I’m sure the selected segments are what Dennis wants to point out. Well that’s free speech for you, if Jack wants an article that reflects his views he can write it himself… getting it posted around here might be another story. 😉

While the end result would be tangentially in agreement with JT, the reasoning is completely different: I’d quite like to see the full transcripts put on GamePolitics, albeit behind links and entirely optional. Having the front-page articles as summaries/highlight reels is perfect, but it would be nice to be able to pick apart the full thing myself.

There’s got to be more comedy in there somewhere. Reading JT court transcripts are always amusing.

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I think in part its about not releasing details that should not be made public without official permission and also the fact that Dennis would be reporting ‘outside his scope’, as it were.

I get the feeling, though I’d need GP to confirm it, that these papers are obtained by a not-openly available source, he normally provides links to anything like this so that people can read it for themselves in context and just provides the highlights in the article.

I do understand your point, if these minutes were available online freely, I’m sure Dennis would have no hesitation in linking to them, but I will admit, what I’ve seen so far does read like textbook Thompson, I’ve seen similar rhetoric from his own fingertips for several years.

tony selby ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

while i agree with you Kyle that it would be nice for Dennis to report on everything, he has already explained that that is simply unfeasible, jacks testimony alone ran for 5 days in court, there simply isn’t the space to print all of that, also there were many witnesses that had nothing to do with games as such Dennis is omitting them (understandably so at that)

Kyle Gagnon says:

Allow me to play devil’s advocate here for a second and say that I actually agree with Jack that full coverage is warranted. Sure I don’t care enough about the issue to read all the links that GP provided to what was doubtless and endless supply of boredom but I think people should be able to read whatever the heck they want.

By only posting links to arguments that you like is somewhat like the rampant out of context quotes that I so hate. That’s like if I said ‘If Dynasty Warriors is a good game then I must be a complete moron!’ and you took full advantage of your first amendment right and told everyone I said ‘I’m a complete moron!’ because to be completely technical I did say that didn’t I? You can quote me on that if it makes you feel any better. And you know what else? I actually liked Dynasty Warriors. But there’s no accounting for taste I suppose, but isn’t that just the point? If someone should care about this thing so much why shouldn’t GP report on Jack’s own testimony?

Now sure Jack’s still full of BS with this whole ‘legal responsibility’ bit, since last I checked GP isn’t owned and run by the US government no mater how cool the name ‘game politics’ sounds. Then again the last time I checked was never.

NovaBlack ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

”he attacks that confidence and its just absolutely baseless.”

wow.. JT atacking something with no actualy basis..

what a suprise, havent seen that before..

HurricaneJesus says:

Although I may have started coming here due to louder than usual rumblings in the the area of gaming politics, I have stayed for the community, the writers, and the joystiq news ticker.

I will still come here on a regular basis regardless of what happens to crazy jt.

Besides, there is always little ‘Stinger’ to worry about. Maybe he plans to follow in dad’s footsteps?

Dun dun dun!

tony selby ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

i tend to agree with GoodRobotUs, to be honest i, and i can only imagine many others didn’t know about this website until the infamous Jack Thompson Penny Arcade fiasco

at least thats when i started coming here (i can only assume i am far from the only one)

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“Additionally Jack seems to think that Moore is testifying as to what Jack’s violations of Florida ethic rules are, when as far as I can tell, Moore’s testifying as to ethics violations extends primarily to Jack’s violations of Alabama’s rules while there. Again, I wish to make sure I’m right before doing the laughing.”

As far as I can tell, yes, Moore is explaining what Alabama bar rules JT was violating. Alabama Bar rules basically state that should your pro hac vice be revoked, it’s an automatic complaint against you to the Alabama Bar. Since Moore wasn’t overruled, and a complaint was filed with the Florida Bar BY the Alabama Bar, I’m assuming their investigation agreed with Moore’s reasoning for throwing JT off the case.

“Jack seems to be trying to argue there that an Alabama rule doesn’t apply to him because a matching rule didn’t exist in Florida at the time. Given the constraints of the context provided, I just want to make sure that such a rule did exist in Alabama at the time before laughing at Jack.”

What Jack doesn’t understand is that Judge Moore didn’t have to use Florida Bar rules to judge Jack’s behavior. By submitting Pro Hac Vice, Jack agreed to abide by the rules of the Alabama Bar (Rule VII). Which includes the general rule of agreeing “to conduct themselves in accordance with the highest standards of honesty, integrity and civility.” Obviously calling your opponents a bunch of criminal child molesters… well… is not “civil”… That and Thompson apparently violated a gag order that Moore had imposed on the criminal trial.

Presumably, what the actual FLORIDA bar complaint is, is Judge Moore’s complaint against Thompson following the rejection of Pro Hac Vice. Moore basically told JT to go away, and Thompson, naturally, ignored that order and made all sorts of nasty accusations, and Judge Moore filed a complaint against Thompson with the Florida Bar.

So yeah, I’m not sure what rule JT says didn’t exist at the time. Unless “behave thyself and don’t make disparaging accusations about other legal persons” wasn’t a part of the bar rules of conduct until later? Doubtful…

GoodRobotUs says:

So Jack is threatening Dennis for not printing the whole transcript whilst at the same time refusing to supply his closing argument?

Does that sound like the wqorlds dumbest attempt at entrapment or what?

Gabriel Celesta ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I don’t think I can understand poor Jacky B. T. anymore. He just wants everything to go his way. How selfish can you get? What will it take to get him to realize that he can’t win? Is that even possible?

Anyway, on a lighter side…

@anyone who mentioned Leslie Nielsen

What’s REALLY ironic is this: In the early 90’s, there was this sitcom called Herman’s Head. And in one episode, Leslie Nielsen appeared as God. O.O

Round ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’ve been a software engineer in this industry for 12 years now. I used to think people like JT howled at the moon about the games we make because they like the sound of their voice. I’m beginning to think this is not the case. I think these people sleep better at night knowing there is something to blame the ills of our society on. It isn’t very comforting to think you may die tomorrow because another human might decide he wants take the lives of other people.

It is reassuring to have something to blame these events on other than the free will of one person. I think JT honestly believes that video games are causing people to turn in to mass murders. I would argue that it is likely some people get the idea of how to kill people from violent games, but not the motivation to do so. There is a difference.

While I certainly loathe JT’s penchant for bringing the video game hate, I think I understand it to a certain extent. He may love the attention, or maybe he knows the best way to move his cause forward is press and tv time. Either way, you cannot deny he is very passionate about his cause, as we are about ours. But the lack of respect for another human being, well, in my opinion, that’s probably a likely motivation for a small number of humans in this world to cap your ass. I believe we, as a society, provide the motivation for these people. In general, we don’t treat people that don’t share our views with much respect.

Gameboy says:

I just checked the letter that JT sent GP. My computer’s automatic spelling and grammar check had quite a few problems with it. Hell, one whole paragraph was a grammar error. Then, again, considering some of his other letters and legal documents, I’m surprised he did so well. Maybe he isn’t playing in our drinking game….

@ cullarn

Come on, I’m not that big of a drunk. At this moment…
    Let me read a few pages of Jack’s testimony and I’ll probably need a few beers, though.

Colonel Happablap ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

True, true… You really could always sue someone, and in Jack’s mind, that always seems to be the case.

True as well. It’s amazing why Jack would think that someone he is in constant conflict with would want to kiss his ass? How many times has Jack insulted GP and Dennis?

I don’t know if anyone has ever mentioned it much at all or what-not, but he *IS* married and has kids, right? For some reason I’m really interested on finding out what their whole take on this situation is. Are they supporting him now as much as they would have been previously? This has to be taking quite a toll on not only JT, but his whole family. Isn’t there a point where they should be telling him that it’s over? He’s lost?

Yuki says:

Dennis, lemme say this. You sir, are AWESOME!!!

This story made me laugh and smile more then I have in days.

You sir should just keep doing what you do and don’t let one of those detractors tell you otherwise. Now then, if you’ll excuse me.

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Pure gold. Entertaining as always.

Dennis, I don’t envy the crap you’re having to wade through just to bring us these tidbits. And on top of it all having JT threaten you with imaginary violations of laws he fails to understand…

Is it true that a good chunk of JT’s testimony is just him reading nasty letters he wrote into the court record again, instead of just referencing them?

Gray17 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

As a technical matter, that gets a little complicated because pro hac vice attorneys are bound by the ethic rules of both their home state and the state of pro hac vice admission.

But, more importantly, I think you may be falling in the trap that Jack’s trying to set with all that mumbo-jumbo: getting lost in hyper-technicalities.

No, I’m not getting lost in the technicalities. As you say, while he had the pro hac vice admission, Jack was bound by Alabama’s ethic’s rules as well.

kurisu7885 says:

“ECA is simply a tool of the video game industry,”

The ECA was founded because some people DISAGREE with some of what the industry does.

Where he got that is beyond me.

Adam ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I love how he threatened to sue you guys for reporting on him. He seems like such a child. He says don’t do it, the entire gaming community says screw you, and just like a child would say “I’m gonna tell on you” he says “I’m gonna prosecute you to the fullest extent of the law”, and what do we say? Come on, all together now “SCREW YOU JACK THOMPSON”

Avalith says:

I feel like tearing his letter apart here:

“This is the first breach of your legal duties to me.”

GamePolitics has a legal duty to Jack Thompson? Since when?

“Finally, you and your site are in clear violation of Pennsylvania law and federal law in that you claim to moderate comments at the site to prevent libel, but you do not. This is a fraudulent and deceptive trade practice, as you are representing to the public that you do one thing and do quite another.”

…GP is in the trade business? Fraudulent and deceptive trade practices apply to commerce, not to journalism. There’s such a thing as the First Amendment, Jack. Learn it. Such a law does not apply to this situation. Also, wouldn’t the jurisdiction technically be in the state where the domain is registered at, not where GP is headquartered at? Nice going showing off how much you know about the legal system and the Internet.

“I have absolutely no interest in sending you my responses to your and your posters’ libelous comments, as you have in the past censored them and only put up my rejoinders that you find convenient. This is precisely why you have blocked me from posting at your site so that I cannot fend for myself in the face of these attacks.”

It’s a private domain and there is only one category of content which is allowed: What the ECA chooses to allow. Dennis is in charge of editing the comments and content on the site as well as adding new content to the site, Jack. If he finds your comments disruptive, he’s well within reason to take action against you, in which you would find no recourse.

“You and your parent organization are now on notice that I shall prosecute this latest assault upon me to the fullest extent of the law, and I shall look not only to you but to ECA for recompense.”

…Prosecution? Whoa, that’s a strong word for a civil case which has no basis under the clear defense of the First Amendment: Freedom of speech and freedom of the press. Both things apply to this series. There’s no illegal activity, so you can’t prosecute.

“ECA is simply a tool of the video game industry,”

Anyone that opposes you is a tool of the video game industry in your eyes, most likely.

cullarn ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

actually im going to have to recind my thoughts on the drinking game the atf just came by and informed me that there isnt enouh alcohol!

GRIZZAM 512 says:

Okay, I’m preparing the ending theme from the HULK TV show right now…got it. This is gonna be awesome. I cannot fucking wait to see the pictures of him walking out of that courthouse all sad because he lost his job. Then read the rant he sends the judge after the decision.

Ryno ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Is JT a serious threat to gaming? Of course not. Who can really take his antics seriously?

But a threat is still a threat. Even the weakest threat can get lucky and find a weak spot.

I’m reminded of the 50s attacks on comics. Batman is gay, he has a young male sidekick! Wonder Woman is a strong, independent-minded woman! Superman is a homicidal maniac (and probably gay)! Oh noes!!!!

These weren’t threats that should have been taken seriously, but people payed attention to the threat-monger and creativity (plus common sense) was destroyed for decades.

Just because a few termites aren’t likely to undermine your house and destroy it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t take the potential threat seriously.

If someone as stupid and incompetent as JT attacks games as he does, we should point out his flaws and have at them.

I don’t think anyone here would disagree with a rational opponent of games who stated that children shouldn’t play adult-rated games. We’d fully support them. Heck, many posters would probably help the person in their efforts, provided it didn’t demonize gaming in general. I know I would support any local law that properly and reasonably restricted M or higher game sales to those who are that age. But someone as twisted and money/attention-hungry as JT doesn’t deserve our respect or support.

potatojones83 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

After I read this, I thought of this bit from Liar Liar.

Fletcher: Your honor, I object!
    Judge: Why?
    Fletcher: Because it’s devastating to my case!
    Judge: Overruled.
    Fletcher: Good call!

Makes perfect sense why JT would keep trying to object. The truth IS devastating to his case.

Erik ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

A: I find it amusing that Thompson, giving the nature of his recent court filings would try to censor what Dennis and GP have to say. Hasn’t he been bitching that he thinks the Florida Bar is doing just that to him? How can he live with the hypocrisy?

B: Its been apparent for some time that Jack is a really really REALLY bad lawyer. The third stringer of a minor league baseball team level bad. But to see an actual play by play of him getting his ass handed to him. I’d almost feel pity for him if he hadn’t shown himself unworthy of such things (telling a member here to commit suicide, showing malice when GamerDad has his heart attack. Showing malice when those here showed compassion for his and his wife’s ailments, etc).

Aliasalpha says:

@Mr. Hankey

How about him doing a circuit of universities as an opposing attorney for a LAW101 class? That way the students aren’t up against a substantial challenge, they gain confidence through near-certain victory and can see a manifest example of what not to do.

jab49 says:

Ok, Ok, I’ve got it.

Tumas should offer JT a choice:

total disbarment

a year suspension, upon the condition that jack thompson publicly and uncompromisingly apologize for his behavior, admit he was wrong and childish, and note all provable cases where he lied and retract/apologize for said lies.

How sweet would that be. Jack Thompson would be disbarred!

JackDon'tKnowJack says:

You are smart to proceed cautiously to posting your transcripts. If it’s something the custodian would have to redact in satisfying a public records request (and there’s a whole world of those “somethings” and it’s not just 3d party names (See Fl. Stats. Ch. 119)), then I would redact it, too.

Mr. Hankey ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

List of suggestions for JT that he can do after he’s disbarred.

Go on the Maury show……You are the father!

“Would you like to biggie-size that for $.50 more?”

“Paper or Plastic?”

“So that was a no foam soy latte?”

knock, knock, knock…….”Ju need towels?”

DarkTetsuya ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

but at least then the gorilla’d be an… aww who am I kidding he’d be at an unfair disadvantage. 😛

@michael brooks:

You’ll forgive me if I don’t break out the party hats and streamers… he’s still under the bar’s employ, but once that chapter finally comes to a close, then party on, everyone!

@Gameboy, JDKJ:

Put in my vote for ‘JackDidn’tKnowJack’ … but that’s good too. 😛

JT thinks he has a suit cause he doesn’t like the way Dennis runs things around here, that GP isn’t kissing his ass.

Yeah I could see that happening… Judge >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> incompetent failure of a lawyer.

No he didn’t, it’s Merriam/Webster’s that has it wrong! 😛

Gameboy says:

@ JackDon’tKnowJack

The real question is: has Jack ever known what hit him?

With some of the cases he has “won”, I’d seriously doubt that. What regular reader of GP doesn’t remember the “last mistake [blank] will ever commit, I’ve been waiting blah blah blah” press releases that Jack seemed to release weekly?

Why not go “Attorney, and Jack Thompson’s not!” or “BetterlawyerthanJack”?

The Ministry of Silly Walks says:

Thank you for putting up with this crap to bring us the news, GP. Obviously if it bothers him that much this is having an impact. You’re right, this is probably going to be the most significant coverage of Thompson ever. This needs to be known.

Vinzent says:

Your moment of Zen…

Violent video games and rap music turned Jack Thompson into a….moron (harsher language would apply but i don’t want to get kicked from the forum).

Gray17 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Moore testifying on what ways that Thompson broke Alabama Bar rules?

Also did the rule that Jack’s complaining about exist in Alabama at the time, even though it didn’t exist in Florida? Because that’d be the one Moore’s saying he broke, not Florida’s.

@Colonel Happablap:

You can also sue someone. Question is: are there any grounds upon which you’ll win? And I’m quiet sure that in the case under discussion there are none.

kurisu7885 says:

It has no “blame video games” option so it wouldn’t help him at all.

As for this, I won’t be surprised if we see this.

Jt: Object, irrelevant.

Tuma: Overruled.

JT: I SAID objection. Clean your ears.

Colonel Happablap ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Funky J

I’m not quite sure there’s any legal grounds for JT to sue GP. This was all information that was given to him through legal means that he is posting through public domain. There’s no basis for anything there.

This whole thing… This whole mess… Is about one man who has decided that not only games, but the people who play them are evil, murdering psychopaths. That by playing games like Halo and Counter-Strike, we are taught how to kill people.

The worst part about it, is that this man is most likely *NOT* insane, as much as we all like to claim he is. He knows what he is doing, and he goes out of his way to drag these types of cases on and on and on. Just so he can file more frivolous lawsuits. These posts that GP has put up for us, is in a way, sweet, sweet retribution for all the flak that we have taken from Jack Thompson. Will he continue to harrass the gaming community when he probably gets disbarred? Most likely, so for now, all we can do is sit back, grab our beer and popcorn, and watch the show.

We’ve waited years for this, let us enjoy it.

@Ghost coins:

And even if they do agree, you might be collecting Social Security by the time you get them.

Like Judge Moore said, “. . . my staff is one lady. That’s it. She’s it. We preside over three courts in three counties . . .”

There’re a lot of Circuits like that in Florida. Obviously, they aren’t going to make record requests their priority.

Gameboy says:

I’ve been waiting all day to read the latest part in this series. It did not disappoint.

Wow, Jack is a pathetic miserable man. I’ll bet he knows that better than any of us.

@ JackDon’tKnowJack

Correct me if I’m wrong, but your name is supposed to be referencing Jack Thompson, right? So just what are you going to do when Jack is disbarred (notice I said when as these stories seem to make that fairly certain)? Will you continue posting on GP? If so, will you still post as JDKJ, or will you change your name to new more relevant one?

I’m mainly asking to rub salt in JT’s wounds.

@ cullarn

OK, so about this drinking game? How many pages at a time? Its a pretty long transcript, so no matter what it can’t be the whole thing. And as incompetent as JT is you might have to limit a game to 5 pages or so.

Aliasalpha says:

So what would you call T2’s hiring the law firm of Blank Rome at, I’d imagine, an average cost of $500US per attorney for at least 150 hours of work, to premptively sue Mr. Thompson?

Overkill? Especially since it seems that a gorilla with dysentery could out-argue jack.

Geno ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

MOORE: Because his actions were outrageous…

DT: Overruled.

JT: That’s a characterization.

DT: Overruled…

I lol’d at this.

@Funky J, who wrote:

“To imply that Jack Thompson is even given a thought by those people spending money to make games is laughable.”

Andrew Eisen ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Yeah, it’s over. We’re just waiting on Judge Tunis’s ruling which is expected next month.

Andrew Eisen

Aliasalpha says:

Mate, they have to cover him. Political & legal issues that affect gaming is the very core of the site.

The man is a total tool but the problem is that a LOT of people who are uninformed hear “Lawyer” and think that he must know what he’s on about. These are the same people who believe what they see on TV without thinking about it and who are deeply affected by the paranoid rants that JT specialises in.

Since you’re an aussie as well, you must have seen today tonight & a current affair, it’s the same kind of wilfully ignorant audience. In fact it’d be “A story no parent can afford to miss” whilst they show a picture of a baby photoshopped to be carrying an AK74.

If you don’t report on this stuff, the bastards get away with it and that’s too dangerous to permit.

@Ghost coins:

Not neccessarily. In Florida, there’s a tendency in some Circuits to deny non-party requests for court records under the so-called Sunshine law because court records aren’t considered public records subject to the Sunshine law. Or, if you do luck out and they say, “O.K.,” they’ll ask you for a $1000 deposit to cover staff and material costs. And, if they claim to have consumed your $1000 before the request is satisfied, you’ll have to ante some more chips to keep the ball rolling.

Easier said than done.

Andrew Eisen ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Funky J,

While I could poke a dozen holes in your last post, I’m really only interested in one.

…your continued coverage of this miscreant, your demonising of someone who is clearly insane for your own profit and enjoyment…

What profit?

Andrew Eisen

FlyinM_X ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I hate to burst everyones bubble when it comes to Phoenix Wright. You need to get him a copy of Apollo Justice:Ace attorney instead. And not just because he is old news…

*spoiler alert*

His first case is to defend a down on his luck, DISBARRED Phoenix Wright.

*End spoilers*

I haven’t played the game personally, but that is what Nintendo Power said.

Also this section is just sad:

JT: Objection; irrelevant.

DT: Overruled.

I’m pretty sure the emotional impact of your HARASSMENT is important Jack. Doing this makes you look like an insensitive jerk… Oh, wait…

Pierre-Olivier ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Thompson is now seeing all the tons of nonsense he wrote turned against him. Reminds me of Karras.

That’s sure entertaining.

Funky J ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Jack Thompson is NOT the Game Industry’s nemesis.

Not even close.

To imply that Jack Thompson is even given a thought by those people spending money to make games is laughable, and your continued coverage of this miscreant, your demonising of someone who is clearly insane for your own profit and enjoyment, is not only giving him further popularity and cause, but shows just how unprofessional you really are.

The reason:

You fail to realise that games ARE regulated by most governments around the world, and yet the industry is doing booming business the world over.

Piracy and Monopolistic tactics by publishers and console manufacturers are by far more dangerous to Game development than both government regulation and the pathetic posturing by small minded massacre chasers.

I work in the industry in Australia. We don’t have an R Rating for games. Yet am I sitting here, raging in frustration about being creatively stifled by that arbitrary rule? Have I been told that due to government regulation I can’t make video games? Furthermore how many developers in Germany are closed because they’re not allowed to use red blood or the swastika.

Creativity is only being stifled by publishers looking to maximise profit by churning out sequels and clones, and by a public that spends millions on movie tie ins and responds positively to the ridiculous advertising campaigns of publishers.

The goal Jack is working toward – government control of video games – has nothing to do with stifling creativity.

I really do hope he does sue you – at least it will stop you talking about him for a while.

GP: Wow, what can I say to that?  First, if you don’t like what I cover here, go read something else. You won’t hurt my feelings. But please remember, the main focus here is games + politics. Thompson most definitely is a game industry nemesis in that regard. What’s more, he has become something larger than himself. He’s basically a symbol of the other side in the modern cultural struggle for games and gamers to gain legitimacy.

As to the game industry, there’s really no love lost between GP and the industry. You won’t hear me argue your points about sequels and such, although I’m not sure why you’re angry at me about that.

And if you think the industry here in the US pays him no mind, you’re just wrong. They are most certainly aware. Take Two sued him last year, Zelnick had a secret meeting with him … EA took time to respond to his recent (ridiculous & cynical) offer to help with the T2 acquisition… the industry spent time and money battling him in the Alabama GTA case, in the Louisiana game legislation, in the New Mexico wrongful death suit, in Delaware legislature in 2006, in the Bully case in 2006, in Utah in 2007, in the Massachusetts legislation he drafted just yesterday…

Your comments about my covering him for profit are simply insulting. I’m under contract to edit this site and it’s not based on hits or traffic, etc. Nor do I particularly enjoy the JT aspect of the job. I went into this series with 100% certainty that I’d be threatened (yet again) with a lawsuit. But there is a real story here, a real chance to learn something, and I intend to bring that story to the public.

Ghost coins ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Well, if these are transcripts from the trial itself, wouldn’t the full text be available through the Courts. Transcripts from all trials are held as public record, no?

GP: Honestly, I have no idea if these transcripts are available from a public source. It is a matter of public record, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that they are easy to get hold of…

Aliasalpha says:

I’ve just thought, do you think we should start a betting pool before the next exciting issue of Legal Fiasco Daily to try & guess the number of times jack mentions the first amendment?

Put me down for 6

Black Manta ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Just read the whole thing. This just keeps getting better and better! Keep up the great work, Dennis. 😀

Still, I wish I could read the stuff pertaining to the non gaming-related witnesses, especially those regarding Howard Stern since I’m a fan of his as well and I’d like to know what they had to say.

@ Beardogg-X

Dennis is the Edward R. Murrow to Jack Thompson’s Sen. Joseph McCarthy.

That’s why Thompson is whining about the coverage of his trial. He wanted no one to know what he’s really like.

Exactly what I was thinking! 😀 Good night, and good luck my friend. 😉

JackDon'tKnowJack says:

Anybody wanna bet that 9 out of 10 of Shelia Tuma’s questions were followed by one Jack Thompson’s objections?

When will this man ever learn that his “scorched earth” stratergy ain’t always a winning stratergy? And that it never wins obviously isn’t helping to drive the lesson home.

@Jack Thompson, who wrote:

Got some bad news for you, Jack-O. The extent to which the law says you can prosecute is about equal to the extent my nose protudes from my face. As to recompense, I fear that, while you can look all you want, you just ain’t gon’ find.

His letter was even more entertaining — certainly more rubbish-filled — than his very entertaining courtroom antics. It’s all more entertaining than a comp’d weekend in Vegas at the Palms.

Ryno ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

You’re talking about most of his legal career. This trial is just a humorous footnote.

Actually this trial could make an interesting legal class:”How to act when you’ve totally screwed your entire legal career 601″.

Brandon ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Heh, I love how, even when Jack’s getting beat down, he still thinks he can call the shots. Sorry Thompson, you’re failing hard.

Iniquus ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I think the hundreds of pages these transcripts add up to might have the pontential to be the best book of all time. I can already see quotes in Barrens chat.

BearDogg-X says:

Dennis is the Edward R. Murrow to Jack Thompson’s Sen. Joseph McCarthy.

Thompson, practice what you preach: Grow up and get a life.

HurricaneJesus says:

cullarn you are now responsible for all of the GP readers who die of alcohol poisoning when the transcripts are released.

Only serious drinkers could handle that drinking game.

Orange Soda says:

That threat letter wasn’t particularly interesting in body, but at the end he included this quote:

“‘The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.’ G.K. Chesterton”

I find that quote kinda scary. It an aphorism that sums up a crap-ton of things that I find wrong in the world.

scott ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’ll be taking bets on how soon Jacko will be suing Judge Dana Tunis, on the grounds that she WTFPWND his ass.

I’ll put $20 it happens in May.

Black Manta ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Awwww! You know what this means Dennis, don’t you? It means Jack’s scared and is trying to shut you up because he doesn’t want the ugly truth about him getting out. In that respect then, Dennis, you have joined the ranks of great journalists who have made their names by exposing corrupt public officials. Welcome to the club, my friend!

Incidentally, I find it interesting and amusing that Jack refused to volunteer his own closing argument. We know the man never misses an opportunity to grandstand and that would have been the perfect moment for him to do so. Makes you wonder what he’s so afraid of.

Perhaps I’m being a bit premature; I’ve only read a bit of this and I’ll read the rest later, but it looks to me like Jack’s goose is going to be thoroughly cooked by the time all is said and done.

Oz ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Objection! lol.

Is Mr Thompson really a qualified lawyer? He’s going on like somebody you would see on Boston Legal.

Tomrrows headlines: Thompson accuses Judge Tuma of case fixing

AJ says:

JackDon’tKnowJack Says:

“Yo, Jack:

Why you ain’t raise the most obvious defenses: mental retardation and insanity?”

I don’t think either of those pleas would help him dodge disbarment. Temporary insanity maybe. Too bad he doesn’t qualify for the temporary part.

JackDon'tKnowJack says:

When Thompson claims that you can’t print selected excerpts from the trial testimony, but rather that you have a legal responsibility to report on the testimony of all witnesses, including himself, please tell me you don’t just summarily brush that ridiculous notion aside. You do have a little fun with him first, don’t you? Like asking him, “What’s your legal authority for that claim?” You know, kinda like a cat’ll play with a dead mouse — before eating it.

F**ked Up says:

Man does Jack Thompson know anything about law? besides just passing motions and saying “I m a Lawyer”

He is completely ridiculous, and makes good reading. That characterization threw me for a loop since he brought up character evidence already. Hell most of this trial is about Jack’s character and how he carries himself.

I hope that we can get a pdf version of the trial. Maybe it should be titled, “How Not to be a Lawyer”

I call dibs to write a movie using this transcript, and other Jack Thompson transcripts as the basis.

HurricaneJesus says:

Maybe we can just wait until this is all over before getting the full deal. I do wish there was more as well, but I have faith in GP and know that the key details are being presented in a way that is is short and concise.

If GP wasn’t covering this, then we wouldn’t have anything. I know the wait is hard, and the possibility of this coming to an end within a short time of GTA IV’s release, makes it all the more difficult to wait for the surely climatic conclusion to all this.

GP, keep up the great work, and do what you have to in order to protect yourself from legal threats.

Anonymous says:

Lets just get the next article summery out of the way:

JT: OBJECTION, everything they say is UNTRUE! OBJECTION to your OBJECTIONS! OBJECTION, you should go do the physically impossible! OBJECTION, I wanted a pony for my birthday! OBJEEEEEEEEECCCCTTTTIIIIIIOOOOONNNN, I WANT MY MOMIEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

And yes, I know it says he “cross-examines,” but we all know he is going to do this…

Still, for a good laugh I would love to see the stuff GP isn’t covering. But I can understand you not doing so, I mean, what beef does Jack have with “selected excerpts” from his court hearing? He uses “selected excerpts” all the time!

JackDon'tKnowJack says:

Don’t take my word for it, but I am fairly certain you won’t find it on-line. It may be available through the Clerk at the Miami-Dade courthouse (11th Judicial Circuit). Or, if you can determine who the court reporting service was, you may be able to purchase copies directly them from (usually not cheap, if we’re talking a many-paged transcript — which we are).

Hope I’m not giving away GP’s trade secrets.

sabin_blitz ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I am sitting here laughing like a maniac as I’m reading how Judge Tuma is shutting Jack up left and right. It is so entertaining to watch someone put a sock in JT’s ugly hypocritical noisehole.

JackDon'tKnowJack says:

And he ain’t go to Vandebilt on no scholarship. Even in 1980s dollars, three years at Vanderbilt Law cost a pretty penny. Either he ain’t take advantage or he got gipped.

shaoron says:

I was wondering if it is possible to get a transcript of the trial?
    I mean, either on a website, or download-able word/pdf document?

GP: I’m mulling that over. I’ve turned the 1st story into a PDF… and then I went back and realized that some 3rd parties who weren’t a part of the trial but who were mentioned could be hurt… so I went back and redacted those names with my Sharpie redacting tool… and then re-scanned… but I’m trying to figure out whether it’s a good idea to post the transcripts, mainly from a liability standpoint.

Ryno ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Greg. No, not really. I think even Lionel Hutz could beat JT. It wouldn’t be pretty, but Jack does such a good job of destroying his own case that Lionel would pretty much back into victory, but not for lack of trying.

rav3 says:

its funny how games are blamed for only the bad things, yet they forget that by their very own logic then they should also teach good things.

i certainly remember my math grades getting better after i started playing dungeons and dragons (stupid dm trying to shortchange me on the dice rolls), also im good at remembering patterns because of all those memorize the sequence minigames. And finally my spelling and vocabulary grew from playing lots of rpgs and the like.

Of course im not discounting other things like my mother´s parenting, and other factors. However if games were as bad as they say id be a wreck.

InHuman says:

@ GP

Has the ruling come in yet? Though we were still waiting on that..

Btw, its become pretty apparant that JT bears some striking similarities to Fred Phelps, they both feed on the attention you guys give them, and when his license is revoked you KNOW he’s going to play the matyr card..

GP: It’s not my issue whether he grooves on the attention… Perhaps he does. My issue is to cover news related to games & politics and this certainly qualifies. I actually think this series is one of the more significant JT stories we’ve ever run.

JackDon'tKnowJack says:

“JT: Excuse me, Your Honor, I move to strike his answer that I was outrageous. That’s not really responsive.”

Here’s how it works, Jack Thompson, Attorney Not:

You must first object that the response is unreponsive or nonresponsive. Then if, and only if, the court sustains your objection, can you move to strike. Think: horse and carriage.

I fear that the folks at Vanderbilt are now having a serious discussion about retracting the Juris Doctor they gave you. They should.

Murdats ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

but if violent games can cause people to commit murder.
    and games can incite people to pick up hookers and commit rape.

if we give JT pheonix wright he may actually become a lawyer, do we really want that?

AgnostoTheo ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ inhuman.

Don’t like it? Don’t read it. The rest of us find this too freaking entertaining and important to waste time listening to the “Don’t give Jack coverage” crowd. I’m not going to reiterate all the reasons that that point of veiw is foolhardy. Instead I’m going to remind you, and the rest of the crowd, that you’re more than capable of ignoring the stories that involve Jack.

So again, and this time to the entire collective or numbskulls that dislike Jack Thompson stories:

If you don’t like the story, don’t read it. The rest of us are interested in the downfall of one of the most visible, vocal, libelous, inflammatory, vicious, and worst of all, most PUBLIC anti-game critics since Joe Lieberman.

Arashi ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

(mandatory Phoenix Wright point) OBJECTION!

Jack sounds really unprofessional. Of course, when you’re a looney, I guess being professional is kind of at the bottom of the list of priorities.

unrated ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I think when jack is fired, we should all chip in and buy jack a copy of phoenix wright. Ace attorny. See if he can beat one of those cases…

Ace of Sevens ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Jack seems to have learned his lawyering from TV. Most lawyers aren’t so confrontational and are generally courtous and happy to work within the boundaries of the system. When you act like Jack, you make sure everyone else who works in the court dislikes you, which tends to be bad. It comes back to bite you exactly like is happening here.

Jmaes Moore has a courtroom to run. This case was supposed to take a coupel days of his time, yet Thomspon seems determined to make it his entire job through clogging up the system with filings and the general harassment through the press.

cullarn ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“Is it wrong to enjoy watching a train wreak in the making? Not when the train deserves it.”

dont worry bout the train at all worry bout the little car stalled on the tracks =p

(figuratively speaking of course) (i had to throw that in)

Count_Zero ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I have to say, I’m glad people can’t post pictures here, because you know the comments here would be filled with certain screen-shots from Phoenix Wright. 😉

Ebonheart ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I swear I can pass the Florida bar without opening a law text book and showing up for the test 5 minutes before it’s over.

Thank You Jack for making me feel intelligent, you fluffy huggable razor blade of narracasism you!

I’d hug you but I’m sure you’d try to sue me.

Orange Soda says:

“ok, in the same sentance he states both that the rule does not exist, and that it shouldn’t apply to him since the dispute happened before the rule existed, which is it Jacko? does it exist or doesn’t it?”

He never said that it doesn’t exist, only that it didn’t exist (i.e. past tense).

InHuman says:

WHY give him more coverage like this?

Just stop talking about him till his trial in Florida is done..

GP: His trial in Florida *is* done… it ended in December. But, for such an iconic figure in the world of politics/games, there was precious little coverage of the trial. We only knew what Thompson himself let out, plus a limited amount of digging GP was able to do.

So, when the person who has really come to symbolize the mainstream view of games-as-bad is placed on trial over his actions, many of which relate to the game space, that’s news, my friend.

Garret says:

“JT: Judge, Judge, for heaven’s sake. They’re citing a rule that didn’t exist and they’re citing that rule as authoritative against me for something I did prior to the rule’s coming into existence… and this Judge [Moore] is not competent to testify as to whether or not I violated any Florida Bar rules. He’s not licensed in Florida…”

GrimCW ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

How could he press charges agianst GP for reporting this?
    its like Britney spears trying to sue the popperazi for slandering her left and right.
    honestly she’d have more of a case than JT.
    he needs to give in, he’s lost and thats all there is to it.

rav3 says:

I propose something:

whenever any of us sees a post by JT we should reply to it by posting:

that should trigger something hilarious

Eville1 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Should I just wait for the movie to be on Lifetime or The Prayer Network? I can see it now;
    “Left Behind for eternity in a wasteland of dessicated atheist retiree corpses.. In Florida.”

anonymous says:

And now, math with Jack Thompson.

JT: 2+2=5
    Us: No, it’s 4.
    JT: 2+2=5! 2+2=5! 2+2=5! 2+2=5!
    Us: If you say it ten times, it doesn’t make it true!
    JT: I only said it five times! You are wrong! Therefore, I am right! Therefore, 2+2=5! I win!

OneMansOpinion says:

If Jack wants the entire thing published, why doesn’t he procure the document himself and publish it on
    A domain he registered himself on Feb. 9, 2006 but never did anything with?
    His threat is nothing but a lame reverse-psychology ploy, the truth is he doesn’t want the whole thing published because it will show people something he doesn’t want them to see.

The truth about himself.

Gameboy says:

@ JDKJ

Where did you get that information? I read both articles so far, but I guess I missed that.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Dennis has a minuscript. I doubt he wants to spend more than he has to, and that would probably be easier to organize. Thanks for the info.

Shadow Darkman, Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson, ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

To: Everyone who’s mentioned a Drinking Game concerning JT.
    Subject: RE: Drinking Game

1. Do NOT use alcohol (soda works just fine)

2. Every time he makes an Objection, take 1 drink(s).

3. Every time he uses profanity (or if profanity is found in quotes of him), take 2 drink(s).

4. Every time his Objection is “OVERRULED!!!”, finish your drink and refill your glass, cup, etc.

5. Every time his Objection is (miraculously) “SUSTAINED!!!”, take 1 drink(s) and spray it all over your screen. Remember to clean it up afterwards.

6. If you finish your drink before number 4 is accomplished, All I can say is… “Game Over, man. GAME OVER.”

These are the (UNOFFICIAL) Rules of “The Jack Thompson Bar Trial Drinking Game”

NOTE: Apologies to Dennis McCauley if this infringes upon any rules of the Comments Policy. This was made just for fun. Though a real Drinking Game would be really fun.

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

True, there will always reasons for the ECA to exist, but I can’t help thinking that Thompson’s incredible behaviour was (to use a Babylon 5 quote of all things) ‘the glue that holds us together’. Had he not eagerly garnered attention by insulting as many denominations as possible in the gaming community, something I am pretty certain he did purely to get that attention, a lot less people are going to be keeping up with the world of Game Politics I think. From a purely political point of view, him continuing his campaign after disbarment would be a massive advantage for the gaming industry, people will still rally round to defend it, but if Thompson goes, to be blunt, so does 90% of the ‘lulz’ factor.

I will admit, however, that as long as groups like Fox News keep playing the same tune, you will see the same response, but deeper, more technical issues such as Net Neutrality and Copyright Law will be, I think, much harder to maintain interest in.

Aliasalpha says:

Thompson managed to offend gamers to the point where they put their ‘my PS3 is better than your XBox360? argument to one side and agreed on something instead.

Pfft, the PS3 people are only saying that because PS3s suck

It is a good point, it’s rare to get people to agree on anything. Usually there’s a wide variety of opinions.

PC vs Console: Fight
    PS3 vs Wii vs Xbox360: Fight
    Strategy vs FPS: Fight
    Half Life 2 vs FPS that doesn’t suck: Fight
    Light Machine Gun vs Assault Rifle: Fight
    Sanity vs Jack Thompson: Unanimous vote for Sanity

The most positive thing I’ve seen said about Thompson is words to the effect of “If only he was rational and discussed things rather than ranted”

GoodRobotUs says:

Clever is right, there’s very little in the world that would make gamers work together, we are like cats in a bag, too many in one place and an argument will ensue, having spent time in game lobbies etc, I certainly never expected us to all agree for long enough to form something like the ECA, and to be honest, had it not been for the hate-fuelled vitriol of Thompson and others, it probably never would have (indeed, one of Hals bigger challenges may be maintaining interest in the ECA after Thompson is disbarred), Thomspon is the clown in this Media Circus and we are just getting to the bit where whitewash is poured down his trousers to the tune of ‘Mwa mwa mwa mwaaaa!’.

So yes, I wouldn’t be surprised to find that a good 75% of the reason that many Consumers of computer games decided to unite under the ECA was because of Jack Thompson. The fact he cannot get his head around the idea of of people deciding to unite against his actions without being ‘industry shills’, but purely because he is an obnoxious git who insults everyone who disagrees with him.

The gaming community is finding a voice, and I think it would have been happy to sit back and let the ESA deal with simple legal challenges, which would have left them weaker, but Thompson managed to offend gamers to the point where they put their ‘my PS3 is better than your XBox360’ argument to one side and agreed on something instead.

PHOENIXZERO ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Hahahaha, this stuff just keeps getting better and better…. I can’t wait until the end when there’s a major swerve and Jack gets to keep his license.

Clever ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I think it’s funny that Jack has done more to further the cause of gamers and the industry in general than he has ever done to hinder it. For the people that say “Oh I’m tired of GP giving him all this publicity!” it only serves to bolster us. Do you walk away from reading a JT article going “Oh I feel so down with all these people attacking something I love…better curl up and die” or do you walk away going “That’s preposterous, I’m not going to let it stand!” He’s united gamers across the world against people that would enforce ridiculous laws down our throats. Politicians have been trying to pass culture laws against popular mediums since the 50’s – when we hear them now somebody always draws parallels to JT and we all can attack from a common ground. People avoid being associated with him that otherwise might support his cause. He is the absolute definition of being one’s own worst enemy. He gives us a reason to be the “bigger men” (or women) and carry ourselves with a bit of dignity so that we can further show how his unscrupulous behavior is characteristic of what he is claiming we have but what he actually does himself. Not to mention he is incredibly entertaining….

Repudiator ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I know everyone else has the same feeling here but…

Damn I just enjoyed the “overruled” statements. I died laughing each time… I would enjoy replying to JT’s comments with “overruled”

Nevertheless… I really would enjoy to see the entire case against him, though I do understand the reasons for holding it back.

Man, it must be comedy gold…

Mr. Hankey ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

From what I gather, the case was presented last year and a ruling will be given in Spring ’08. Nothings a given yet. He could get lucky(shudder…)

Although we all think JT may be nuttier than squirrel shit, do not for a minute
    think he’s stupid….

Sun Tsu states that you should never underestimate the other side. Just because he is obnoxious, over the top, and a 1st class media whore does not take away from the fact he has a Juris Doctorate.

Most lawyers end up as sleazy, steaming piles but you gotta be smart and shrewd to last that long.

Michael Brooks ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Yes yes yes yes!!!!!!

Excellent excellent testimony and coverage of this. Gamers across America should be celebrating.

Aliasalpha says:

Aww it stopped? Damn, this is bringing back memories of Babylon 5 “The bastards ended the episode THERE? Now I have to wait a whole week to see the next one!”. Its a fine read though, thanks GP.

Am I the only one thinking that when the decision comes down, Judge Tumis shouldn’t declate him guilty but rather declare him “Totally pwned!”? Oh and sentenced to play GTA3 for 6 hours a day, just for the irony.

Mark Dage says:

@Black Manta:

Perhaps because in this case he might have to stand up straight and solemnly own up and apologize using his “professional” demeanor? I mean, if he could get away with going all full-goose-bozo like we’ve seen in the past, he’d probably have already sent out the closing arguments to GP and every other major media outlet. But straight professional statements that may include apologetics? That may be a court transcript he’d rather have sealed! 😉

DarkTetsuya ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Yeah I wish I had that kinda power over him… wait you didn’t mean me huh? (more convenient for most people to call me that online :P)

LOL yeah Nielsen would be perfect for the part, aren’t parody movies his specialty? (Naked Gun, Spy Hard, etc… I think he’s in Superhero Movie too… )

Nah… I wouldn’t give that d-bag the time of day either now or after he’s out of a job. (But I’m all for the ‘Muffins for Tunis’ campaign if she comes through for us.)

GP’s probably just using the ‘wrong ones’ (i.e. the ones that make him look bad…)

Yo, Clatus:

You got a good defamation case. And Thompson — well, the Thompsons — have deep pockets. And once the Supreme Court rules that he was in fact reckless in his disregard for the truth of the injurious statements he’s made about you, the case can only get better. Gimme a call. I’ll take it on a contingency basis. And, unlike Jack Thompson, I don’t lose my cases.

Holla atcha boy.

Salen says:

You know, with the number of times JT was overruled there, if Phoenix Wright had tried that same deal, they’d have thrown the book at him and he’d be looking for a new job as a street sweeper.

So yeah, good going JT. You’re making a mockery of yourself at your own trial. A winnar is U!

Paroxysm ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“You know, the other thing, it’s just terribly frustrating to me as a Judge in this situation that he can publish these things to the press, unfounded, completely untrue, and I believe they are – they are very hurtful and harmful to the Court and the way this Court operates.”

That quote sums up so much about the damage Thompson does.

JackDon'tKnowJack says:

400 pages. But the true count depends on whether it’s a “manuscript” (one page per page) or a “minuscript” (four pages per page). Minuscripts are a means of reducing the full cost of a manuscript’s reproduction to a quater of that of a manuscript because the reporting services charge per page reproduced.

@Anonymous 7:49 am

I was raising a cost concern for those who haven’t obtained a transcript but would like to do so. Dennis already has his transcript in hand.