PETA Game: What to Play “When Plaid Goes Bad”

By way of ConnieTalk, GamePolitics has gotten wind of a new message game from animal rights group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA).

Bloody Burberry employs game tech to bash the well-known British fashion house for what PETA claims is the continued use of animal fur in its designs:

Burberry may be best known for its distinctive plaid, but its use of real fur is making the design house synonymous with cruelty to animals. Burberry continues to use fur in its designs despite the fact that leading clothing retailers like Selfridges, Harvey Nichols, Ann Taylor, Polo Ralph Lauren, and others have pulled fur from their stores forever.

In the rudimentary game, players move a furry critter around a high-end shop, evading security guards and spray-painting a “no fur” message on some of Burberry’s expensive designs. The site also features links to PETA videos and a place where users can sign an online petition to Burberry.

the1jeffy says:

The obvious response to that would be that it’s a fallcay to assign the human affectation of ‘views’ to animals.

~~All Knowledge is Worth Having~~

Bob says:

Kheldar said: “I find that absolutely disgusting as I don’t like people trying force their views onto other people.”

The obvious response to that would be “stop forcing your views on the animals.”

hcf ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@stealthknight: It’s really hard to put the hair back on a fur. Most furs still have the skin (as leather) attached.

Animals tend not to survive the process of having their skin removed.

I don’t think PETA has ever been against clothes made from trimmed hair, such as wool. They do get concerned if you mistreat the animal (like in a famous Australian wool boycott over “mulesing” the animals).

Jonnyboy says:

Boy… I have always hated PETA. Its filled with mean vegiheads who are basicly against anyone eating meat, wearing fur or going against animal testing. Though I do not agree with the fur trade, as alot of it is inhumaine, Peta goes to far with everything. Obveously they can not comprehend the circle of life either. Even animals eat meat. Thats how its been for a VERY LONG TIME. If they love animals so much couldent they understand this? Also We are the superior beings… we top the food chain. So obveously it would make sense for us to eat what is below it. Im all for animal rights, but when it comes to wanting animal liberation… that is messed up. Many people are uninformed on what peta really is. Even most of its members. Peta does not want you to have pets.. Peta wants your pets to run free… and be free.. no zoos or animal sancuarys either basicly… Which in the long run would be WORSE for the animals… Also Peta suposivly saves animals… DO you know that they KILL more animals than they save? Thats true. They claim that sometimes its best for an animal to go to sleep forever then for it to live on…

Im against Peta.. Sorry but I wont be playing this game.

Kheldar says:

One of friend’s stepsisters is a PETA supporter and has all these PETA pamphlets plastered onto her door with stuff like “Animals are not ours to eat” and crap like that. My friend works at a fast food shop and her stepsister keeps on putting the “KFC Tortures Chickens” pamphlets on her door. I find that absolutely disgusting as I don’t like people trying force their views onto other people.

I’m all against animal cruelty, but PETA is going about it all the wrong ways.

Kovitlac ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Amen. I wrote a thing about PETA on Facebook awhile back, listing a ton of reasons as to why they are such a sick group. For instance, in Colorado they preferred to let hundreds of cattle starve and freeze to death in snowbanks then to help return then to local farms. The National Guard had to come in to do the work instead!

Because, you know…it’s not like they have anything better to do then to herd cattle around… And I’d SO much rather suffer a long, painful death then a quick shot to the head. PETA is bullshit.

AdioBam says:

It’s the people that hunt that are the real environmentalists.

If we were to let certain animal populations go out of control, well, we’d be fucked. I don’t think I need to tell any of you why.

Aliasalpha says:

Maybe PETA is right, maybe we shouldn’t eat animals, just members of PETA. Waiter, I’ll have a PETAburger followed by PETA stroganoff.

How about PETA standing for Preppy Egotistical Terrorist Arseholes?

shady8x says:

PETA – People of the Eating Of Tasty Animals are annoying…

Plants are also alive and have been scientifically proven to have feelings.

Why is PETA for the mass genocide of the plant kingdom and why does it support the murderous animals(every animal not including humans) that eat these innocent helpless gentle creatures that give us the very oxygen we all breath?!?!?!?!?!?!?

In comparison, (unless we eat them or use them for other things) the only things that animals do is murder plants on a daily basis and produce greenhouse gases… oh and some of them kill other animals including humans…

I don’t want animals treated badly either but lets face it, the kind of fanatical devotion to this cause that PETA exemplifies is a complete overreaction…

and us for the game, it is seems dull…

Ebonheart ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ BmK

But I LOOOVE baby seal clubbing! And OhMiGawd! You haven’t worn leather till you wear baby seal skin!

I’m for ethical treatment of animals, but I distance my self very far from the Preppy Terrorist wanna be groups, and the eco-terrorist groups. In all honest why? Give me a good reason why we do have the cosmetic tests on animals people do?

BmK ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

While i think almost all would agree that torture and unnecessary cruelty to animals is wrong, PETA are just plain out fanatical nutcases. They don’t seem to realize that animals hunt and kill each other to eat all the time. If they can do it why can’t we.
    As for furs, while i’d never wear one (unless i was living in the Canadian arctic during Winter), i don’t see a problem with them so long as they don’t use endangered species or put the animal through alot of pain while killing it. (Such as baby seal clubbing, that goes a bit to far IMHO)

MonkeyPeaches ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

high end fashion won’t last hold up six months, and it will be out of fashion before then, so it’s not worth buying.

chadachada ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Wow, that just made PETA seem like the sickest shit-heads in the world.

While treating animals really cruely is wrong, all of gods creatures have a place in this world.

Right next to the potatoes and gravy.

Ebonheart ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

SPCA, it’s actually a police group.

Now remember everyone, there is always contridiction in these types of groups just like Pro-life issuing death threats and bombing clinics. Or peace activists attacking recruiters or bombing military related buildings.

Brandon ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Ace ofspade: Haha, you watched that South Park eposide I take it? Yeah, as for PETA, they can, well, don’t want to say here since this is a family friendly forum, but yeah, they’re hypotrictal as well since their founder uses medicine thats tested on animals and crap, and they support terroristish people.

Ugh, and I know its not as bad as the terroristish actions, but that stupid Super Chick Sisters video, no, just no.

Gift ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Father Time “Oh and has anyone here ever debated someone from PETA?”

Tried to quite frequently, particularly regarding medical research, but there’s only so much banging my head against a wall I could take. It’s my experience of groups like PETA which convinced me they aren’t so much about animal welfare as misanthropy. Humans are seemingly to blame for everything, unlike other animals have no right to eat a normal diet or form symbiotic relationships with other species. I think this is why farmers or scientists can be condemned for hurting animals but they just can’t bring themselves to condemn the terrorist activities of the ALF/ELF etc.

All of which would be bad enough, but they also lie and distort facts to achieve their ends. Whether it’s claiming humans can be simulated on computers, that basic research is “unnecessary cruelty” or that animals cannot be used to model humans, groups like PETA never disclose all pertinent information when presenting their case. (and that’s putting it politely.)

Father Time ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I love penn and teller BS.

Unfortunately I don’t get showtime so I have to rely on people posting the episodes on youtube.

Father Time ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Oh and has anyone here ever debated someone from PETA? They fall for PETA’S BS hook line and sinker every time, they call meat eaters murderers and say “you can’t call yourself an animal lover and eat meat” (I try to point out you can’t call yourself an animal lover unless your into bestiality). And almost all of them have an air of ‘holier than though’ amongst them.

It’s funny because it does nothing but alienate themselves and hurt their cause.

Father Time ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

or we can start our own P.E.T.A.

People Enjoying the Torturing of Animals.

Our 1st assignments:

Get Micheal Vick off the hook and re-open the Roman Colisseum to gladiators fighting animals.

Hell it can’t possibly be harder then trying to convince everyone on the planet to not eat meat whilst coming off as nutjobs and extremists.

PitViper401 says:

The SPCA is a great organization, I don’t think anyone can complain about them. Everyone respects and listens to the SPCA because, unlike PETA, they make sense with their actions and requests. They aren’t demanding that everyone in the world switch to veganism or stop wearing fur, like humanity has been wearing for the last 10,000 years.

Gray17 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Are you thinking of the SPCA perhaps?

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

On the one hand, their fanatical followers provide a useful service, SOMETIMES. Like exposing that cow-abuse story in the US that resulted in the meat recall.

BUT the rest of the time, they are lunatics. There’s a difference between exposing animal abuse, and being a vandal/terrorist.

Silphion says:

Isn’t PETA the same organization that asked the city of Hamburg to change their name to Veggiesburg in exchange for $10,000 worth of tofu burger patties for the school system?

Thefremen ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

You know, I’ve always found it ironic that they believe that by destroying personal property they can stop fur sales. I mean, if you ruin someone’s fur coat, don’t you think they’re going to buy another one, thus artificially creating demand which would not otherwise be there?

PETA is the single-most easily trollable group in the universe though. Zippo Cat should get ’em every time.

Are'el ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I personally see nothing wrong with fur, as long as the animal wasn’t abused in life. Too often, “fur farms” keep the animals in small cages and poorly fed, and handlers sometimes mistreat them. But that’s not always the case. Content and healthy animals have more beautiful coats, so many of those farms give their stock a decent life before they’re harvested.

Besides, humans have been wearing fur (and eating meat) since… well, since we could be clasified as homo sapiens. And Fur looks good, feels great, and is quite warm in the winter. To hell with PETA and thier extremist views.

Simon Roberts ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Zach: no way, Greenpeace would be on board with wearing fur. It’s all-natural and biodegradable, unlike those synthetic fabrics which are produced by evil carbon-burning corporations. Fur industry = green industry!

At any rate, I’ll hop on the “PETA is deplorable” bandwagon (been that way ever since they compared a multiple homicide in Vancouver to chicken farming) but at least their petition is being run with an on-site widget instead of a link to PetitionOnline or something. Hopefully they’ve got someone checking the signatures (all twelve of them) to ensure authenticity. I’m all for PETA taking a big online stance if it means they’ll stop bugging the seal hunters.

Kajex ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ myrpok

It’s still up, more than likely- or at least, cuts and edits. There are a bunch of vegans going around spreading lies and trying to make PETA look better by attempting to redirect attention.

I’ve seen PETA-based video games before- one of them was a blatant rip-off of Super Mario Bros., where the enemy is Colonel Sanders, and Princess Peach is replaced by Pamela Anderson.

I’m not lying. You just CAN’T make this crap up, you’d have to be crazy beforehand.
    But in any case, I’ll listen when PETA realizes that meat is essential in the human diet, animals die when crops are sewn and harvested, animal-based medical research is responsible for the things keeping us alive, and that it’s hypocritical of them to protest shelters for killing off animals when they turn around and do the exact same thing when nobody’s looking.
    I’m not holding my breath, of course.

myrpok says:

Penn and Teller did a good Bullshit episode on PETA. You can check it out on youtube before it finally gets pulled down. Apparently, they gave upwards of $75,000 to a Animal Liberation Front terrorist who had in the past firebombed multiple buildings.

Taxes: what dirty secrets CAN’T you find with them?

Sean ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I can’t stand PETA, they demand too many things. You can’t have your spotted owl and eated too (For the record, delicious).

ppk3 says:

this is stupid while i do not like “high” fasion it is up to people who buy this stuff as to what they get not peta also it is natural for people to eat meat and vegies not just vegies

kurisu7885 says:

I’m going to use a novel, unheard of concept to these people. I won’t buy the product.

Wow, no need for a petition or anything, not even need for a cheap ass game.

Nekowolf ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

PETA can go suck themselves off. Nothing more but extremists hypocrites. I despise PETA, they don’t know shit and they help no one. I forgot what they’re called, but there’s another animal groups, who, I think, are much better.

Aliasalpha says:

Spray painting? If memory serves, graffiti tagging is what got that mark ekko game banned (or was it rated higher? I can’t remember) in Australia. If this is a real store that they’re targetting, could this be interpreted as an attempt to incite vandalism?

As long as you eat the animal you skin for fur or leather then I see no problem with it.

Gift ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Hmmm I’m not a fan of PETA at all… but I suppose the game is fair enough albeit slightly contrary to their supposed “don’t really do anything illegal” position. (i.e. nothing illegal like running round a store vandalising stuff with spray paint.)

Two things though, is this aimed at children? PETA have a track record of, innapropriately IMHO, foisting their political views on kids. Second thing, if it is aimed at children are the videos linked the sort of things parents will be happy for their children to view?

Cheeselikesceareal says:

First off, as much as I like animals I can’t stand PETA. Secondly, what is an online petition going to do. Lastly, it sounds like a bad game.

Pominator ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Seems fun enough, hate the brand anyway, I wouldn’t be seen dead in one of their chavvy hats and supposedly “rich” clothing

hcf ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

PETA and Greenpeace both have the same problem: The journey has become their only purpose. They don’t really want what they ask for, if they get it they’ll just up the ante.