Does World of Warcraft Have Election Year Fever?

Although the only notice we’ve taken of World of Warcraft in relation to the U.S. presidential election was an unoffical rally for Republican Ron Paul (left) in January, USA Today reports that WoW is a hotbed of presidential politics – especially on the Democratic side:

The primary race between Democrats Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama is so competitive, it has even barged into the online universe of the World of Warcraft game. Millions of players are supposed to be fighting dragons, raiding enemies and performing magical quests — not discussing superdelegates.

USA Today quotes 36-year-old WoW devotee Sean Goldman:

Here we are, logging into a virtual world to escape the grip of the real world for a few hours, but this election has brought the real world closer to the virtual world…

Hillary and Obama have created quite the buzz with the race, and it’s created a buzz everywhere. I’d say 99% of the people talking about this (in the game) are the types who would usually stay away from talking politics because it wasn’t cool. But now it’s definitely roused a lot of people in World of Warcraft.

Gurei says:

thats actualy one of the things i liked a lot about wow,the social aspect meeting others,killing some mobs and talking about real stuff,looting the blues and making our points.

I say liked,because as many others,i quited it…couldnt stand the constant changes and updates in BC.

Overcast says:

Yeah, I agree with others – I rarely see much brought up about politics in WoW. Usually it’s met with a ‘STFU’ – many times, I could possibly be the one typing it.

Politics are a sickening display of a person’s ability to lie, really – it’s the last thing I want pervading an otherwise decent world :O

deejus says:

I haven’t seen 1 person even mention the election in game. The most political people tend to get is the old, aussies are better than Ner Zealanders and vice versa. Only to have the argument end by both agreeing that at least they are not Americans.

Ebonheart ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Yeah there may be a “great big ole’ buzz” on WoW. But lets be honest lets for arguement sake 1000 people are going to do another march. But lets be honest in recent years more and more people aren’t voting so maybe of those 1000 people 200 might vote.

BEsides didn’t EQ2 prove just how lazy people are when they made the ability to ORDER PIZZA THROUGH THE GAME, instead of just picking up the phone and calling in the order.

Azhrarn, Death-of-Faxmachines says:

Glad europe doesn’t have this “issue”, many countries playing together means that you will rarely if ever find a suitable person to discuss politics concerning your home country with. (atleast, among those who don’t band together in nation based guilds)

attackgypsy ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Hrm… on my server (The Venture Co – Horde) I nearly never see any of this.

It’s all Murlock and Chuck Norris jokes.

jadedcritic ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Remind me how people who wouldn’t ordinarily discuss politics, discussing politics, is a BAD THING. WoW especially, is notorious for a poor quality player base. Because of its sheer size it attracts just about every repulsive and immature human being far as the eye can see.

Yes, I know that people play games as an escape, but as I see it, the loss of that (at least temporarily) is a small price to pay for anything to raises the level of discourse on WoW.

mogbert ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I didn’t get deep enough into the WoW story line to be able to make a political joke about it.

Druids rock. That is all.

Altair says:

Next thing you know theres gonna be NPC’s in the Wrath of the Lich King Expansion bearing the likeness of all the candidates who ran this time arround! xD