Study Links Video Game Addicts with Asperger’s Syndrome

According to Dr. Charlton:

The thinking in the field is that there is a scale along which people, even those considered to be ‘normal’, can be placed upon. And that people such as engineers, mathematicians and computer scientists are nearer to the non-empathising, systemising, end of the spectrum, with people with Aspergers syndrome even further along again.

Our research supports the idea that people who are heavily involved in game playing may be nearer to autistic spectrum disorders than people who have no interest in gaming.

GP: Interesting stuff, although the underlying concept of “video game addiction” itself has not yet been accepted as a diagnosis by the American Medical Association.

j12583b says:

Autisim is not something you can just suddenly develop, it’s something you are born with. I have medical records that state I got it when I was 21 which happens to be when I was diagnosed. This is only because of the way the laws are. Because it was so completely ignored for so many years anyone over a certain age gets pushed aside and treated as if they are less important than everyone else.

I am a very intelligent person and am currently in college for Computer Electronics and Engineering Technology with a 4.0GPA. Sure I love games but it obviosly does not interfere with my life. The hours we spend playing have nothing to do with addiction, did anyone ever think we might just be bored. I play from 10 to 50 hours a week depending on how much free time I have does this mean I’m an addict, no it just means I’m bored as hell and have nothing better to do right now.

As far as the social aspect of aspergers syndrome goes sure I have great difficulty dealing with people but that is only because the majority of the people in this messed up world of ours are assholes and I feel I’m far better off not knowing them. So when I’m left with the choices of playing a game or going out in the world to be S**T on I’m going to choose the game everytime. I have very few friends but they are all very close to me, am I a little anti-social sure, but that’s only because I feel it’s a waste of my time to talk with people who don’t listen or only hear what they want to. I constantly have to dumb myself down so the general populace can understand what I’m saying and it sucks. People need to slow down and listen a little better to what people are actually saying, you read so fast and barely listen to what’s being said that you only see or hear what you want to taking things completely out of context.

Just because you can read and write does not make you intelligent, what makes a person intelligent is actually being able to understand what you reading or what is being said to you in the right context. So next time you all decide to go on a rampage over something make sure that something is actually what you think it is and not what you want it to be.

OtakuMan ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Okay who here has Asperger’s Syndrome, raise your hand?

*Raises hand*

While I wait for a response, and BOY what a response it shall be, I will wait for you all to comment and respond.

And Dennis, I want in on this one. For me, this is PERSONAL!

Pierre-Olivier ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I don’t think they said that being an addict gamer is like having Asperger. But in my opinion, they just don’t know what Asperger is really (it’s still quite recent).

Pierre-Olivier ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Fourstep Coco

Guess the one who did that research wanted another link to the Asperger Syndrome since it’s known to affect one female for four male, and it usually affects (whe I last checked) 1 child out of 26000. So, girls with the Asperger syndrome are quite rare.

Age doesn’t matter. And I’m pretty sure this study isn’t much good. One of my best friend is had Asperger syndrome, is two years older than I am and he shows more symptoms than I. It’s about how much help you get and how much effort you put in.

And strangely, I saw kids without the syndrome playing A LOT more (I heard about one playing HALO on a laptop in the bus (BAD IDEA)) and in a lot more compulsive way than mine (and I have it and gaming is one of my big interest).

Fourstep Coco ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I like how 86% were male. So, let’s not factor in us females who play, when, from what I’ve heard, males over 20 only make up 20-25% of the gaming population…

So how old were they? I assume younger gamers might show these symptoms. I dunno, seems like a really fucked up study.

Woodey says:

It completely amazes me that people keep posting about a correlation between the two subjects discussed in the article. I have read it, and re-read it, over and over again. Then I read it one more time just to be sure and I cannot locate any such statements saying that there is any sort of mutual relation between video gamers and Asbergers.

Take it for what it actually says, “With stronger signs of game addiction came three personality traits that would usually be associated with Aspergers: neuroticism, and lack of extraversion and agreeableness.” Now, if you read “would usually be associate with” as “lead us to believe that all video gamers have Aspergers” then I could see why you would be so upset but I would also like to come stamp you on the forehead with a “MORON” stamp so people would know to just not listen to you.

Further more, I would dare argue that Dr. Charlton would be completely reassured that the results of this testing were in fact accurate, upon reading most of your replies (mine included because I definitely find it easier to emphasize with ANY computer system than most of the people posting in reply to this article. Even a Mac).

My hat is off to those of you whom actually read the article *AND* understood it. The key to reading isn’t just mumbling out words, it’s comprehending them.

Smashpro1 says:

This is relevant to me, since I am somewhat anti-social unless I know the person I am talking to somewhat well, and last semester my computer science teacher thought that I might be mentally impaired. I am THE person that these people should study for proof of gaming addiction. Also, I read a report that said the 60 or 65% of people with autism are left-handed. Guess which hand I use?

Meteor says:

I honestly have no clue as to what to make of this test.

For one, it’s not biased towards video games. It’s merely saying that the ADDICTS show signs of having Asperger’s Syndrome.

And then, there’s the ignorant majority of people. Sadly, this ignorant majority will probably mistake Asperger’s Syndrome with something far worse (just like they confuse agressive behavior with violent behavior).

Honestly, Asperger’s Syndrome isn’t so bad. I happen to have first hand experience of it.

Strangely, I often feel thankful for being born with it. Perhaps it’s because of the fact that I’m not as ignorant as a lot of people these days who are far older than this 14 year old.

ZippyDSMlee ( User Karma: -1 ) says:

you every think without OCD there would be no addiction….
    being OC will make any hobby into a addiction…. lets not forget shopping…

Jeremy says:

I don’t get the anger here.

No-one said gaming turned you into an Aspergers sufferer.
    No-one said that gamers are Aspergers sufferers.

The study just found that the average gamer was closer to the Aspergers side of the spectrum than the average member of the general public, which as has been pointed out, you would expect from speaking to an 86% male audience anyway.

(And to those who would take offence at calling someone, or being called, an Aspergers sufferer, get over yourself. Don’t be proud of having Aspergers. Don’t be ashamed of having Aspergers. Just be.)

Flatulence Incarnate ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Omega Warrior Asperger’s really seems to be the same as high functioning autism, except that Asperger’s actually express interest in socializing but tend to have problems doing so, whereas autistics will often have little to no interest in other people.

Technically the criteria is that people with Asperger’s do not have a clinically significant language delay and have a normal level of imaginative play. Psychologists do not diagnose it this way generally though. My brother, despite his Asperger’s diagnosis did not learn to talk until the age of 3, although that may be just shy of a clinically significant delay. Incidentally, his diagnosis bounced around all over the place for the first 16 or so years of his life between Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Autism, and Asperger’s. Really most psychologists tend to use their judgment for defining the disorder rather than the DSM’s definition. This leads to a great deal of variation.

Bryan ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I was diagnosed with Aspergers 10 years ago, and your right the symptoms do very but the main ones are social problems and a high talent in a highly focused area, both of which tend to dissipate over time as one learns to overcome them. I’m not saying that we can’t be outgoing, I just saying it usually requires more effort for. I was mostly just upset with some of the other posters assumption that since Aspergers syndrome is a form of Autism, it automatically makes the people who suffer from it Retarded or stupid (which unfortunately is what many people consider Autistics to be). When in reality it is more likely that you will meet one of them and not even suspect they have said problem, mostly because people with Aspergers Syndrome have a tendency to be highly intelligent and very interesting once you get to know them.

Scottland89 says:

I know it can, my friend told me by emailing me a link to the wikipeida article about it. Just said it explained alot about him. He doesn’t like talking about it or anyone to know about it, but wanted someone outside his family to talk about it, so as a close friend, he decided to tell me.

Your right about the it diagnosing, it’s one of the hardest tings to diagnose (from what I read) since it’s got too wide a range (as I said in my last comment, some may get iritated by a constant sound like a computer running, or car sounds, others don’t. Some take things too literal, some don’t)

My friend is on the same boat as you, he doesn’t see it as a handicap\disablity but he was pissed to not be allowed to drive at all due to it, he was looking forward to driving.

OmegaWarrior says:

I was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome about 6 years ago, and I have yet to hear either a clear explanation of what it is, or to hear two psychologists agree on what it is. Some say it’s a personality-type, others say it’s Autism-lite. If you try to look up what characterizes it, you’ll see a lot of sentences like, “AS is characterized by a severe deficiency in X, or the subject may show a talent for X. AS can also be characterized by a severe deficiency in Y, though the subject may also show a talent for Y.” So what the hell is it?

Some of the posts above claim that some are diagnosing them selves with AS and then using it as an excuse to be jackasses; I actually have been diagnosed with it and I strongly question it’s very existence. I’ll tell you one thing, I certainly do not consider myself handicapped or disabled in any way, and I find it very insulting when people (like the U.S. Congress) say that the way I think is wrong and I therefore am in need of a cure for my “mental disorder.”

(Sorry if my tone was a little harsh, but this is a touchy subject for me. Could you tell? ;-))

Scottland89 says:

I’d like to sorta disagree a bit with you (ofcourse not over the “not a retard bit”). I have a clsoe friend who suffers from it. He’s hardly socially isolated, but Aspergers syndrome is very hard to diagnose as everyone can be diffrent from other people with it. One sympton is annoyance with constant sounds like a car motor running (my friend doesn’t suffer that).

My friend has problems with expresion, when dealing with authority,and can get angered quickly (however he can cool down quickly too)

That may be the case with most forms of Autism, but my friend can’t legal drive. He’s 18 (coming onto 19) and still suffers(is that the right word) from it.

Anyway I’d like to say the only thing about that research that is true for me is lack of extraversion, but I’ve got plenty of extraversion as well. It just depends really, I sometimes prefer to be on my own, but I have a healthy social life too.

My friend isn’t into games much but he does like to play madden when he’s round, or maybe mess about in GTA.

Jon Dorfman ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Oh, come on, people! I was born with Asperger’s Syndrome. I had it long before I was into video games. Really! The depths critics will sink to just because they couldn’t understand how to play *insert name of popular game here* and lost. Honestly, I think I’m going to have a chat with my lawyer over this use of Asperger’s. Just because people with Asperger’s Syndrome are different doesn’t mean that one can just associate them with uninformed, biased reports only meant to insult certain groups.

Glacialis ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I am a diagnosed aspie and the “symptoms” described are absolutely ridiculous. The rest of the article…yeah, you guys covered it.

If you want to be educated about Asperger’s Syndrome, go to Yes, there are many people with self-diagnosed AS. Just not nearly as many as those who really are aspies.

ShortWoman says:

Isn’t Aspergers on the Autistic spectrum? And don’t Austism and related diseases manifest in most sufferers as toddlers? How many of you played video games as toddlers? Did you even have access to them? Did Pong exist yet when you were a toddler?

And so… Wouldn’t Aspergers link to video game addition be more likely to be a *cause* than an effect? Recognising of course that correllation and causation are two different things….

Damn me and my silly science.

Aurien ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

So they talked to 361 people who play games. That’s what, .0000001% of video game players? Did they actually do full psych backgrounds on these people or just one weekend in a mall asking people to take a survey? Another useless piece of crap paper with no real facts.

Ace of Sevens ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

My little brother has Asperger syndrome and you can’t pull him away fromt he games. The personality traits that go with Asperger and essentially perfect for making someone into a hardcore player, so this link doesn’t surprise me, but I’d make the poitn that Asperger causes this, not the other way around. You’d find an even stronger link with model train collecting.

Aaryk says:

I seriously can’t believe how ignorantly you all portray yourselves. I typically love the comments left on GP, but in this case, 90% of you sound completely… well, stupid. I’ll have to quote this from the article:

“The researchers believe that video game addicts can not be classified as having Aspergers syndrome, but do share characteristics because they find it easier to empathise with computer systems than other people.”

The article does *NOT* say that there is any corrolation between being a gamer and having autism, nor does it say being a gamer will give you autism/Asperger’s. Did any of you even read the article? I mean, really, how many of you don’t find it easier to understand computers versus people?

Erik ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I don’t think the study has taken into account that the human race as a whole are assholes. That is reason enough to avoid them.

Kim Albrecht says:

One thing this “researcher” forgot to take into consideration, a video game addict makes a choice to withdraw from social situations. Aspies can’t make this same choice. They are truly victims of their circumstances. Ask anyone who suffers from Asperger’s to choose between the loneliness of isolation and true social acceptance and they would choose social acceptance EVERY TIME! This sounds like another case of “Crack Pot” science.

The proud parent of an Aspie teen gamer.

Anonymous says:

Lack of extroversion is a “negative personality trait” now, is it? Gee. That makes me far angrier than any generic “video games are bad” study could. How the Hell is being an introvert a negative trait? Excuse me for being capable of entertaining myself for more than five minutes without having to talk to someone…

jakethe8lf ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I was diagnosed with Asperger’s clinically at age 10, and seriously, looking at research and documents of it and such, it seriously boils down to a flip of a coin if someone actually has Asperger’s disorder or is just introverted. There’s seriously no big difference. Asperger’s just seems to be more nuanced.

GoodRobotUs ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Considering the stereotype that is so blithely thrown around a a ‘Video Gamer’ (as exampled by the Times column highlighted today), it’s hardly surprising they end up preferring their own company to anyone else’s.

kurisu7885 says:

I have asperger’s myself and the guy didn’t describe me at all.

You can’t lump a disorder into a one color system, as with everything there are degrees.

Rocketman says:

I have one child that has been diagnosed with autisum and an older one that has somewhat the same traites. Both are very good with video gaming. I don’t necessarily agree that there is a tie here but video gaming has a very calming effect on children in the autisum spectrum. It keeps their attention more so than normal play. Those of you who have no idea of what the autisum sprectrum is need to get informed. There is a lot to this that you may know of.

shadowmist says:

Well, I dunno how accurate this thing is, but I like video games. Not extraordinarily so (I read more than I game), but I do. Was rather addicted to EQ at one point. And my psychologist recently has been strongly hinting to me that I have aspergers. So yeah

Sara ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I almost believe that EVERY kid I see nowadays is obsessed with games, the parents that think their kids have some kind of disorder are just too old to understand gaming. Every kid I meet is extremely excited to talk about gaming, and you can talk about almost any game with any kid. Here is a revelation for you, EVERY kid plays video games, yes every one, at least here, whether it be at a friends house or their own. This is not some thing that only 3 kids out of 100 do, go over to any house with kids and you will find video games, offer to play with them and you will get extreme enthusiasm. Video games are also not new technology they have been around since the 1960’s, and no they are not some weird hobby your kids engage in. Its not weird, unusual or aspergers, its just the way kids are. Kids are naturally drawn to technology from what I have seen, while parents resist it and try to keep it out of the house because they are told its “bad” for their kids. If parents just took a little time to relate to their kids, instead of automatically assuming that everything technological that the kids want to do is going to make their minds rot and make them stupid, lazy and fat then we would all be better off. Parents need to step up if they have kids, if you aren’t willing to become technologically informed then don’t have kids, simple as that. Your kids that you didn’t have will thank you. It amazes me the parents that don’t even know how to use the internet, nor know what it is, or that refuse to use it because its some alien concept they don’t understand and are completely unwilling to learn. Or the parents that keep their kids away from video games, television and the internet because Oprah says its bad (don’t believe everything you hear people!) If you have kids you have to be willing to get down to their level, and learn from them as well as have them learn from you and you have to be willing to learn about new things that you might not be so familiar with.

Kids find school boring, sometimes because their teachers are mean and repeat useless info many times and also because they are often too smart for the class and are corrected as others say for being too smart. I have seen this even in my college classes, there were people in my classes that surpassed the professors knowledge by more than a lot to say the least. They would also try to correct the professor and most of the time he was so alarmed that he would just take the correction and go on with the lesson. Just because a kid can’t sit still in class when they are forced to sit at a desk all day and already knows everything that they are being taught and likes to play video games does not mean they have aspergers.

When kids are raised on the Nintendo Wii for example teaching methods and schools are going to be seen as archaic. It does not help that most teachers are against playing video games, simply because they do not understand games and don’t take the time to either, so they automatically subscribe to the belief that video games are “bad” for kids, as do many parents. Schools need to get down to the kids level and step up the technology level to match what they have in the house and put that technology to use in teaching kids their lessons, then kids will be able to learn better, have fun learning, and want to go to school because school will be exciting and fun. Teachers need to innovate along with the kids, they should be playing video games and learning about what other activities kids like to do so they can understand children better and relate to them more, instead of constantly saying “I don’t understand these kids”. Reading definitely has value but no kid wants to be forced to sit at a desk and read a boring textbook all day long with maybe a 30 min rushed break for lunch or to have to sit and take notes the entire day.

linenoise says:

Wow.. basic logic class, people. There’s nothing in there which said that video game players cause aspergers. It’s saying that someone who is addicted has a higher chance of having autistic tendencies. We all make the same argument with the violence aspect – the violence doesn’t ‘train’ people to commit real-world violence, but someone who’s already insane may get pushed over the edge by playing a game (or reading a book, watching tv, bumping into someone on the street, etc).

Ebonheart ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Bill

Thats a made up word from the halls ofthe internet short for “I typo way to much”

Yep, loved the city so much I took the name. And your the first person to notice that actually.

Terminator44 says:

I know I haven’t posted in forever, but as another person with AS, I may as well throw my hat in the ring. Like all the other video game “studies”, I could definatly (sp?) use a link to this “study” to find out the specifics.

For example, how was “game addiction” defined? Was it simply defined as “subject plays games over x hours a week”, or did they actually check whether the subjects’ play was interfering with their daily lives? While we’re on definitions, let’s look at neuroticism. Ol’ Wikipedia defines it as “an enduring tendency to experience negative emotional states.” That’s a pretty open-ended term, and is hardly exclusive to AS. It seems to me like the three traits they used could be applied to any number of conditions in the entire spectrum of developmental disorders. The fact that they singled out AS tells me that these researchers were trying to get specific results from vauge criteria. Not a good sign.

As a aside, I’d just like to say that the people who self-diagnose AS to excuse bad behavior should be bitch-slapped as hard as the people who fake a broken leg to avoid work. There is much more to having AS than having difficulty socialising with others, and just because you do have it doesn’t mean you will be doomed to act like an asshole. It isn’t an excuse.

Aaryk says:

I’m surprised how upset people are with this. My brother is diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrone / High-Functioning Autism and he’s always been able to relate better with me, as a gamer, than with the rest of my family. As a gamer, I tend to think very logically rather than emotionally *and*, since Asperger’s tends to be defined by someone’s logical lean and inability to relate to others, I can usually talk to my brother or explain things to him when my father/mother can’t.

It seems to me that the message of the study is simply that the people that game can relate to a systematic type of relationship more easily than an emotional one. I don’t think anything up there says, “Gamers are autistic.” Yes, it does say gamers are less social, but those of you that argue about what a social butterfly you are — you’re probably the exception: Have you ever been on XBox Live? I think “lack of . . . agreeableness” is putting it mildly.

mary says:

hey my son was so good that when he heard his 2nd grade teacher state to someone that he would never be a productive member of society he took the 40 characteristics of aspergers and did every one of them in her presents upsetting her. (Frankie only has 6 characteristics) When I was called in the first thing I did was laugh. How could I be mad at him because his teacher was a prejudice ass and idiot. Needless to say she learned real fast

Bill ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Or I could do it the way I did it to match the way you responded to me.

Fuck’s sake. Dennis uses a little levity by posting a “wacky” scientist photo with the piece, no one says anything. I use a pun for levity and I’m told to grow up and learn to pronounce. If you didn’t think it was funny, fine. If you want to be an prick, fine, though I’ll be one as well.

Mary, I wan’t making light of the actual disease, I just found the name funny.

mary says:

Look I believe that asperger kids are smarter than most. I learned over the years with my son when he fix a computer in 6th grade when the pricipal said they needed to call someone in and when he convinced the whole school he could not go out to recess because of the cold due to the fact he had ashma.(which he does not) but he was able to convince everyone till I found out.

mary says:

years ago there was a Psychologist that wrote about asperger’s stating that any child diagnosed with it should be looked up because they would be a mence to society. the joke was people believed the idiot.

Pierre-Olivier ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I have asperger myself. I only knew it when I was 13. I’m REALLY into gaming, but strangely, I play less than most of my friends.

@GrimCV and others

Glad to know I’m not the only one here. Strangely, I wasn’t given any medication. I somehow got over most of my problems on my own (and with some help from my parents and the school psychologist).

Asperger is quite complex. I, myself, got a diagnostic that confirmed I had it (so I have a medical document). And I can assure you, being an asperger doesn’t necessarily means that you’re anti-social. It often means that you have trouble expressing yourself (I was before, but I got better). As for how you get it, no one really knows how you get it. Some says it’s hereditary (not my case since both my parents doesn’t have asperger) and some says it could come from an hard birth (due to a lack of oxygen to the right side of the brain (emotions side). But remember that Asperger was only recently discovered (the first case was in 1945 and it was only officially recognized in 1995), so there’s still a lot to learn about it.

Ebonheart ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Mary

And if you play games your a pedophile, what a great and tolerate world we live in!

@ Chrow

I do love those “block” buttons. Remember the Penny Arcade formula
    Normal Person+anomity+audiance=complete asshole.

Ebonheart ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Are’el

THeres also a mental disorder thats charactorized by the inability for someone to distigush reality from fiction, I’m sure thats the case with those people.

mary says:

No, you are right the problem with everything is they lump you in one catagory This is the world we live in and I for one am getting tied of it . You play video games you will shot up a shool. You have asperger’s you will be addicted. Did anybody do a psycological exam on the ones doing the evaluation.

Xhill says:

I have aspergers and I enjoy games. But I guess I’m lucky that I’m not addicted. I was when I was young but I grew out of it. I think this is a load of crap but I could be wrong.

mary says:

You know we blame some desease or disorder for problems of the world and maybe there is some indications. but as a parent of a child with asperger’s sydrome I want you to know how proud I am of him. I have had good and bad years ranginging from adolecense to toddler. As a nurse I lost that sympathetic edge over the years but working with my son seeing how sometimes things are a stuggle for him and seeing how he views the world I have leartned from him. Having him I would never change a thing of my life. He has taught me a lot he has openned my eyes to many things I forgot and to condem someone for a disability of disorder is wrong If playing video games helps him to develop socialization or to give him some comfort when the world gets to hard he like everyone else has that right. He achkwoledges his disorder and tries to adjust. He is aware that he can become obsessed and tries to correct it the articule pretty much makes onlya new vogue to get people anxious. These children have potential if people cared.

Jeremy says:

Ryan the Gamer, you’ve just discribed the difference between Physical and Psychological addiction, but they are both considered types of bona fide addictions.

Flatulence Incarnate ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Jeremy Male autistics are much more common than female autistics, so it’s reasonable to assume that the individual autistic traits might be more common in males in general. However, besides genetics, autism may be more common in males due to females forming more supportive social networks earlier.

ChrowX ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’ve taken a few psychology and sociology classes through High school and College and I can already pull a more accurate assumption out of my ass.

People who spend a majority of their time on MMOs, web communities, and places like 4chan, are used to this special kind of social interaction, where-in, they do not have to interact with anyone they don’t like, and the one’s that they are forced to interact with can be muted, ignored, or just not seen. They are like spoiled children who believe that they are entitled to act however they please and that no one has the right to reprimand them or tell them to follow the rules, because it’s the internet. They are the people who subscribe the the creed of Anonymous because they believe they are being ‘moar awesome’ and get more ‘lulz’ thus making anyone else not cool enough for them.

With all of that, you tack on a self-diagnosed case of Asperger’s and suddenly they’re a victim, not an asshole, how convenient.

Jeremy says:

I rather thought that this article rang true. I think gaming does appeal to a part of us in a way that it doesn’t to others with different personality types. Can you imagine doing anything else with the same feeling of satisfaction that you do with the same intensity of gaming? Gamers were not labelled as Aspergers sufferers, just as people who are nearer to the Aspergus end of the spectrum than most.

Of course, there are those who think that just being male marks us out as tending-to-Aspergers syndrome. :rollseyes: And as 86% of the people in the research were male, that makes the tendency even more marked.

Ebonheart ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Grim

My biology teacher said the samething about osmises to me. I was told in 7th grade to “stop agruing and save it for collage.” I almost got suspended from a catholic school for questioning the Noahs Ark story. (don’t look hard into this.)

And I had a teacher accuse me of cheating for sleeping for 45 minutes into a test waking up for 10 minutes then fall back asleep after I turned the test in.. kicker I got the highest grade in the class for it.

@ Jabrwok

ADD and ADHD isn’t real.

For those who don’t know what ritilan is, it’s basiclly Speed, Speed being a Methamphetamine. Ritilan (being a Methylphenidate) Both being a psycotropic drug. Both being extremly closesly related in base structure, funny no?

Ryan the Gamer says:

A gamer chooses to game. A heroine addict chooses to use heroine. At the end of the day the heroine addict no longer chooses to use heroine, he needs it. A video gamer STILL CHOOSES TO PLAY GAMES.

Gambling isn’t an addiction either IMO, it’s a habit and a choice. I know the American Medical Association has a specific definition for addiction but IMO someone who gambles their money away is looking for the nearest scapegoat to get out of the trouble they’re in… “I’m addicted to gambling. It’s not me it’s my mind!”

Flatulence Incarnate ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Are’el I’m not really sure there’s anything necessarily chemical about positive reinforcement, unless you’ve heard about some research that I haven’t. It is simply a stimulus presented following a behavior that increases the future probability of that behavior. Although I suppose positive reinforcement might increase endorphin levels since it is associated with pleasure, but again I’m not aware of any studies to that effect.

mary says:

addiction is addiction. picking on a group to make a point is wrong. Asperger’s suffer from obsession that can be controlled. but again find an easy answer instead of trying to find out the true reason. Children learn as they grow if they only have the stimulation of video gaMES THEN THEY CAN DEVELOP AN ADDICTION JUST LIKE GAMBLERS, ALCOHALICS, DRUG ADDICTS ETC..

Are'el ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Addiction doesn’t need to be triggered by an external chemical, only an external stimulus. Take gambling addiction. People with that are addicted to the thrill, the unpredictability, and the potential payoff. Basically, reward. Games are all about rewards. Items, levels, ranks, skills, zones. And the social aspect in multiplayer.

Everytime you get a positive reenforcement, your body produces certain chemicals to make you feel good. Most people can walk away from that, and generally get it from many different aspects in life. Activity Addicts get the highest dose of this chemical when doing one specific activity (gambling, gaming, sports, whatever else), and they unconciously learn to crave it.

Flatulence Incarnate ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

As my brother has Asperger’s and I am a student of psychology, I kind of feel the need to chime in here. First of all one thing they’ve got wrong is that a lack of extroversion is a quality of Asperger’s. In fact extroversion is one of the main criteria that most psychologists use to distinguish Asperger’s from conventional autism, even though the official diagnostic criteria only concern themselves with the difference in language delay and imaginative play.

The full range of Autism Spectrum disorders are developmental disabilities and almost certainly genetic to some degree. However, it appears a wide array of genes contribute to the disorders so it makes sense for there to be people who inherit some of the traits but not others. These people would likely have mild to moderate difficulties with empathy and understanding what other people are thinking and might prefer video games to interacting with other people. Most importantly people with Asperger’s seem to love predictability, which video games are much more so than people.

Regardless of all of that, they may be drawing too large a conclusion. While people who are just shy of formal diagnosis of autism or Asperger’s
    may be very likely to be video game addicts, to expand that to video game addicts as a whole seems to be overreaching.

Talouin ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“Video game addiction is real, though, even if some people aren’t ready to admit it. If you miss work constantly, or miss frequent meals and don’t sleep until you’re completely exhausted. IF you abandon real life friends and family. And just stop doing anything other than game. Then yeah, you have an addiction. And we’ve seen it before, like those Asian guys who died of blood clots after playing online games for 28 hours straight in internet cafes. The medical examiners said that one guy was malnurished, dehydrated, and had an overfull bladder. He literally played himself to death!”

Video game addiction is a misnomer and I believe that the asian cases you’re referrancing had other contributing factors to their behaviour.

Are'el ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The story isn’t saying that everyone that plays games a lot have Aspergers, or even that they are addicts. Obviously, if you play games a lot but still lead a normal and healthy life, then you’re not an addict. This article wasn’t about you.

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“The real question is, is it possible to predict which kids will grow up to be Aspies? Is it hereditary?”

They suspect it is, but have no evidence.

KayleL ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Last time I checked, you could be addicted to also anything.

Last time I checked, to be classified as addiction, it must have negative effect on your life such as temporary acts of violence, direct health problems, losing jobs, suffers from withdrawal if not playing video games for a while, etc. I personally know no one who is a video game addict.

Last time I checked, you can not diagnose autism.

Talouin ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

See the link in Monkeythumbs’ post. 4th from the top. Also, if you’re trolling for this kind of comment, I applaud you sir/ma’am.

mary says:

no one knows. When my son was diagnosed at age 5 There were no sights or information . I do know that the sooner a child is diagnosed they can be taught what they lack and function as anyone else. they some times need speech therapy, socialization classes and even counsilling. But there is no true treatment because their are over 40 traits and most only have 4 or 10 traits. As i said no two are the same. It is a pervasive disorder not a desease. And as far as I know not hereditary

Neeneko ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The difficult part with aspergers (and why people don’t usually seek treatment for it) is the support network for anyone other then a small child really, really, sucks. If your doctor even takes you seriously (which many won’t) treatment methods are highly skewed at children. Same with support groups. Most groups are for parents with aspie children or group sessions for the children themselves. Adults are generally told to toughen up and go about their lives.

Thus most adults don’t even bother.

Dan says:

You can be an anti-social asshole without having a mental disease, some people just aren’t friendly, and also like video games. I’m not defending them, but I’m also fairly sure that all the nasty, agoraphobic griefers I meet in online games are autistic.

GrimCW ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

i have aspergers and i play a lot of games… wheres that leave me?

i still have a social life, granted mostly online, but that hasn’t stopped me from finding a loving GF, or surviving 4 years military service….

and my diagnosis came a little late in life, so i never got the proper “treatment” to counteract a lot of the problems it throws at ya (i’m still rather anti-social, but not as bad as i was thanks to self training)

@ Ebonheart
    i had the same issue, cept they did give me the drugs and i still asked questions and slept (slept my entire 11th grade year away and still passed clean! My teachers thought i learned through osmosis, cause i could wakeup in a snap and correct them when they were teaching BS things or trying to trick someone)
    i was actually kicked out of a couple of schools (a total of 5 iirc) because of my “disagreements” with some of my teachers too.
    Teachers really hate having a student whos smarter than they are, and rather than follows the mindless gibbering they (the teachers) spout off, actually questions things and WANTS to learn more (i went so far as to jack one of my teachers college earth science books…. got busted studying it at home so my parents returned it lol)
    I actually was told in some classes to stop reading ahead, and to “stay with the class”

whats worse, is all that being forced to “slow down” has screwed me up now, as i can’t study for jack anymore and i feel like i’ve been beaten with the idiot stick and handed in my i.d.10.T forms for processing.
    i can’t stand to learn things “by the book” any longer due to bad memories of trying to do so before so my brain dumps the info faster than i can read it.

[…] GamePolitics wrote an interesting post today onHere’s a quick excerptA new study maintains that people who are addicted to video games exhibit characteristics similar to those who suffer from Asperger’s syndrome, a mild form of autism. As reported by, the research was produced by Dr. John Charlton of the England’s University of Bolton and Ian Danforth of Whitman College in the United States: 391 “computer game players”, 86% of whom were male, were questioned… Results found that the closer the players got to [game] addiction the more likely they were to display negative personality traits. With stronger signs of game addiction came three personality traits that would usually be associated with Aspergers: neuroticism, and lack of extraversion and agreeableness. […]

Neeneko ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

*headdesk* of course there is going to be a link.

video games provide a wonderful outlet for aspies. So many people with aspergers have such a difficult time interacting with the world already, having an interactive activity that doesn’t have social stress to it is a real boon.

JustChris says:

Pretty interesting find. I’ve been to one gamer message board and the topic of Aspergers was brought up. Someone told us to take an unofficial online test at some place and around 80% of the people that responded said they had some form of Asperger’s.

Now this is an interesting “disorder” because it’s really hard to find out they have something. Instead, people would just call them weird. But in more severe cases police have arrested people not knowing they were just acting on their Aspie traits. I wouldn’t like to call it a disease, but if it were, it would be a disease that hardly anyone will detect, and I consider those the worst kind to have.

We may not all agree on what Asperger’s should be called. Disease, BS term or a social disorder. But we can agree it describes a type of personality. The real question is, is it possible to predict which kids will grow up to be Aspies? Is it hereditary?

mary says:

That is because today teachers don’t want to teach they want to be your friend. I have another son who does not have asperger’s and he gets discussed because a large of the students in class continue to disrupt class and teacher does nothing to stop it then when they have a test the teacher goes around and gives them the answers rather than sink or swim. this is what our country has to look forward in the future.

Ebonheart ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Mary

That would mean people need to take responcibilty. Instead of suing companies for they’re own neglagance.

And speaking of ADD and ADHD, when I was in high school; school wanted to put me on speed err.. ritilan because I “couldn’t focus in class” based soley on the fact I slept in class and questioned teachers on why they needed to repeat the same useless info every single day.

mary says:

there are verying degrees of aspergers so those study are they mild, moderate or severe. they don’t tell you because it will mess up there study.

Zerodash ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Just about everyone I know under the age of 40 plays video games. However, the only ones (three of em) I have ever known to be “addicted” to games all had some degree of Asbergers (two were formally diagnosed).

One in particular hasn’t worked in over two years, but has spent almost every day playing GTA San Andreas. He knows the entire game like the back of his hand, and even falls asleep every night watching replays of his games (through VCR).

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

As much as I believe that Asperger’s is a bullcrap syndrom made up to explain “anti-socialness”, the video game link makes sense. Aspergers are supposed to be anti-social, and have no people skills. Therefore, a mechanical companion would make sense.

Using “addiction” was poor choice of word though. They’re no more addicted, than social people are “addicted” to their friends.

mary says:

you are right. But if a child becomes to obcessed with a game they can recognize it and try to stop playing that game for a while. that is why I feel that this article is stupid. I have met many asperger’s children over the years and believe they have more sense than people who are considered “normal”

Bob says:

3% showed signs of addiction.
    that was the quote I read, including such signs as missing meals and sleep to game.

considering the percentage of people that are addicted to ‘something’ ie: Alcohol, ciggies, those awful ‘Soaps’ on TV, of course some people are addicted to gaming.
    the question is, do you do something for the 3% that doesn’t include ruining it for the 97%.
    Stop playing to the lowest denominator for crying out loud.

nightwng2000 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The clear point to this “research” is to stigmatize a particular act. It isn’t ACTUAL “research” on the issue of addiction.

Indeed, a broader examination of addiction in general will show similar results no matter what the act or product that the addiction is focused on.

It’s simply amazing the narrow focus of so many “research” studies that blame video games for anything and everything.

Mental disease

Yet, if one zoomed out to a broader examination of these and other issues, one would find that video games do not stand alone in sharing all these factors.

They call it correllation instead of causal.

But the mere limitation of a specific product or act IMPLIES, and has been used to IMPLY causal.

If you do research on violence in general, you’ll find a great manyfactors, thounsands if not hundreds of thousands in fact, that would lead an individual to be violent. Those factors would seem small in conjunction with all the other factors.

Focus on one factor and its potential link to violence, and that factor suddenly seems large.

“OMG! Violent video games make people violent!”
    “OMG! Preaching bigotry and hate as part of religious dogma make people violent!”
    “OMG! Watching a video on the news of a grave injustice makes people violent!”

These narrowly focused “research studies” are misleading and misused. There is no intelligent validity to them and the repeatitive performance of these narrowly focused “studies” show the intent to falsely stigmatize a particular act or product.

NW2K Software

Tim Kowalenko ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I have Aspergers aswell…

And I would say that Aspies are more likely to game than gaming leading to Aspie traits.

Gaming provides a comfortable outlet, in a world where an Aspie may feel as though they have no control over their life and surroundings they can easily become immersed in the game world where they can pretty much do what they like and be in full control

mary says:

this study is done by idiots that don’t want to face the truth. Video games are not going to go any. Technology is going to continue and instead of putting the blame on different groups just try to educate and work with kids,

Talouin ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

That is an interesting point. I would have to read more about gambling addiction as I don’t know a lot about the causes and triggers of it. The large problem I have with “video game addiction” is the fact that, barring MMO’s, most games are designed with a determinable end to them. Think about all of the video games that you own that you haven’t played in a long time. I draw a parallel again to books. By the same logic am I addicted to reading? Also by that logic, am I addicted to education? I have willfully participated in and enjoyed education since I was old enough to understand and make the decision for myself about getting more of it.

Ebonheart ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Everyone practice you best impresstion!

Hmm is anyone noticing they stressed MALE pertesipants. So let me get this straight.

A study was conductated, where the result found suggest autism, just because of lack of sociability, AND agreeability. But 86% where male….. hmmm.

This could be because like me when I play I really want people to “shut the hell up” and go away when I’m playing DMC, so I just say yes.

Now the 14% female…. I guess because they’re female they don’t matter only the 86% male. I have a brillant idea for the next study…. go 50/50!

mary says:

This article is stupid as a parent of asperger’s syndrome I am very discussed with it. So the whole belief is that anyone who has any interest in video games that they are pre-autistic. Crap!!!!!!!!!! these children have difficulty with socialization. They are very intelligent. There are no two children the same. They are very individual. Some are visual which makes them good at video games and working on computers. Some are auditory which makes them able to recall things they are taught. Over and over idiots come up with stupid theories. First off Asperger’s was not an acceptible diagnossis in the U.S. until recently My son was diagnosis long before it was in vogue. Now every child that has been diagnosised with ADD or ADHD is being rediagnosed as ashberger’s. If it was not for a pariod society trying to find some stupid answer to why children shoot up schools or why they act out we would have nothing to report. Look at society today. Both parents work to survive their children are left on their own with no supervision and in some cases children are just ignored. our society has only itsef to blame for what is happening. Passing the buck and saying it’s something else that is the problem is immature and stupid. “Billy leave me alone I’M busy” or what ever . When you have children be them diagnosised with a terminal desease or have a learning disability or are “normal” according to society you are responsible to help them grow into a productive human being. Otherwise don’t have children. Printing this article is very unprofessional and stupid. Try to investigate what you are writing before printing it. Doctors are not gods they have no clue as to the cause or the reasons why children are afflicted with this. Now they are saying that children who have asperger’s are addicted to video games give me a break. These children have more understanding of their disabilities than most. They are more accepting to people than the normal people. they are not prejudice They just want to be acceptred for who they are. They have a greater capacity to love others than normal people. They asked the questions, “Why do people hate one another?” Give me a brteak from stupid articles and show some responsibility.

Talouin ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Robert Gauss

The thing is, labelling it as an addiction is the part that is wrong. It’s not an addiction. I remember reading someone’s comments in the last video game addiction thread that used the example of being addicted to owning a dog to reference being addicted to video games.

For myself, I know that I play a lot of video games. However I wouldn’t say that I’m addicted to the games themselves, I more play the games to interact with people in different areas of the continent / world via voice chat, etc that I have come to know through playing the game. I also don’t see how playing a lot of different games could be classified as any form of addiction. Ignoring the lack of a physical component it’s just like reading a selection of different books. By the same logic, this “scientist” could state that I am addicted to reading The Dresden Files.

Adaptor ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Pretty interesting and it could well be true but the scale they’re talking about sounds a bit arbitrary.

@Talouin: I disagree. Gambling can be a real addiction without a physical component. In my opionion anything that can provide some kinds of stimuli can grow into an addiction. People are addicted to the weirdest things..

Zero Beat ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I was born with Asperger’s. My psychiatrist (who says I’m stable! =D) has me on some pretty good medication for it.

Kris O. says:

Oh, snap. First, they told me that I was being trained to become a murderer. Now they tell me that I’m autistic. I’m like Jason Bourne, with a helmet and kneepads.

I’m fine with the “findings” of this study, so long as I get to park in the handicapped spot now.

myrpok says:

I like how “normal” on his scale requires people to feel empathetic towards others. I think I see the point he”s making, but this reads to me like a college kid who doesn’t want to actually do research for his paper. He seems to rely a lot on his instincts for what “normal” people are like.

Robert Gauss ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Even though videogame addiction isn’t classifiable as a disease by the AMA, psychologists are used to applying therapy for addictions and obsessions for videogames, internet use, cell phone dependency, etc. This appears to be a “middle ground” issue that should not be alarming nor written-off as a non-issue.

As for AS being considered mental retardation, consider that people with AS are often highly intelligent and motivated which can be considered an advantage. The only problem with the article is that it is almost impossible to spot an AS person if you are not specifically trained in psychology.

mogbert ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Hmmm… I’ve found it easier to relate to computers rather then other people ever since I was three and was first taught:
    10 ? “hello”,
    20 goto 10

However, even though I greatly prefer computers to people, I still have gotten a metric ton of Customer Service awards from three of my previous jobs. I’m good at being a people person even though I don’t like people.

Go figure.

As far as video game addiction, I love to play. I’ve been told I was adicted, but lately I’ve just been too tired to play. Being a grownup sucks. Tonight, I WANT to go home and either practice SSBB for the LAN Party, or bust open some Royal Seals in Lost Odyssey. What I’m going to do is my taxes and vacuum the carpet.

janarius ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Hmm… This study will also be presented (according to the UK Telegraph) in the British Psychological Society annual conference (see the gamepolitics news on April 2 for another study). I wonder if there are more video game research to be presented at the annual conference (tried looking for more, but found nothing)

DarrelBT says:

Hmm, you know, I’ll bet the people he interviewed were shut ins from Deviantart , XBox Live or various MMO players.

Last time I checked, most gamers that are irate, annoying, and have bad behavior often use “Aspergers Syndrome” to excuse themselves.

~the1jeffy says:

Heavy video game play =|= addiction. And addiction is clasified as such if and only if a person’s life is detrimentally effected by it. Being that you are a sociable person, I doubt you have any signs of either Asperger’s or video game addiction.

Jezebeau says:

Heavensake, it’s a physiological state with genetic tie-ins. Those traits are associated with many, many conditions. Might as well draw in depression, general anxiety disorder, etc., etc., etc.. It sounds like an attention grab for Asperger syndrome, more than anything else. Show me more than a press release.

Belgarion89 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Which brings up a point any psychologist learns in his psych 101 class, correlation does not prove causation. Are autistic people more likely to game, or are gamers more likely to develop autism?

If engineers and computer science people fit on the systemising side of the spectrum, I would be curious where Artists fit in.

I would also be curious how they came to the conclusion that engineers have less empathy than (some un-named group)?

Talouin ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Why do people keep citing video game addiction in scientific studies? I don’t get it. For an addiction to be present there must be a physical component as well as a mental component. This pseudo-science, though interesting, should be better peer reviewed…

Hackangel ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

What I’m wondeing is who the he** do these people talk to? I play videogames everyday (the bus ride to work is a long one, thank god for my DS) and I am more sociable than most people I know. I work for a communcation department! I have an easier time communicating with others than most people I know. In every place I go it doesn’t take too much time for everyone to know me because I will have gone and introduced myself very quickly. Neurotism, lack of extraversion and agreableness? Doesn’t fit me at all and it doesn’t fit a lot of gamers I know. It fits a lot more people that are not involved with gaming.

Altair says:

Theyre just pointing out something thats a big “no shit” to almost all of us. WEre all nerds here right? Asbergers ius typically what nerds suffer from. I was just saying the well deserved “no shit”.

Bryan ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Gavin Schmitt

People with Asperger’s syndrome are not retarded. They are socially isolated people, who usually have one circumscribed area of interest that usually subsides after childhood with training and discipline. Do some research before you make generalizations about people.

Zeke129 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“And that people such as engineers, mathematicians and computer scientists are nearer to the non-empathising, systemising, end of the spectrum,”

I wouldn’t make fun of those people if I were you. They’ll cut the brakes on your car, develop a formula to solve how stupid you are, then load your PC up with child pornography.

Karsten ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The people who made the study didn’t maybe think that it could be the other way around, that people with similar or so conditions like Asperger’s Syndrom, play computer games instead of videogames causing Asperger’s Syndrome.

I’m also a bit tired of everyone’s cultural thinking that guys has to be extraverts. Many guys (like me) are actually introverts, but are sort of pressured (or so I feel) by society to be extroverts. Somehow, we have created a society in ehich only the extroverts can win (or so I feel). There does not seem to any need for the introverts in society anymore – but I

I agree that of course there could be a scale (or line) in which some sort of normality could be pinpointed and so that on this line people diagnosed with Asperger etc. can be pinpointed, too.

I also agree that some people might be more prone to being video game addicts. If you don’t know to quit a game or play games instead of going to school or to work, then, yes you do have a problem.

that’s how I felt. It seemed to label groups of people with blanket characteristics… in an overly generalized way.

I re-read the post though, and my second take on it is that when studying their group of game players, the sub-group which demonstrated signs of being ‘addicted’ to games, demonstrated Asperger’s like symptoms.

If you present the data from another angle (one that would be less likely to irritate gamers) you could say:

the closer your mental state is to someone with Asperger (non-empathic, confrontational, objectionable, systemising, etc.), the more likely you are to become addicted to video games. The less Asperger’s like you are, the less you could be addicted.

It would be interesting to tie that into a study of all addiction. At the very least it would be refreshing to see the point of the arguement (at least in the USA) change. I’d rather it be:

“Retard + Play games = Addict + social danger”

“Play Games = Addict + Retard = social danger”

(sorry to all the retards out there. Especially those in the UK’s parliament)

CyberSkull ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

But is it a real addiction and not just the expression of the syndrome? I more than likely have Asperger’s and am intently into video games. But there is an interesting bit to this. I can either focus intensely on the game for hours or be unable to play coherently for 5 minutes, both behaviors fit into Asperger’s.