In New Zealand: Investigation of GTA Mod's Depiction of Kiwi Police Uniforms and Cars

April 21, 2008 -
A 17-year-old New Zealander is working on a Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas mod which would recreate the US-based crime game in a New Zealand setting complete with recognizable Kiwi landmarks.

But, as Stuff.co.nz reports, local police are concerned that Stacy O'Callaghan's GTA mod may violate laws restricting the unauthorized use of police insignia. The mod depicts police cars (left) and substitutes authentic looking New Zealand police uniforms for GTA San Andreas' LAPD look-alike virtual cops.

However, according to O'Callaghan, no disrespect is intended, nor is he trying to profit from the New Zealand mod:
I am not doing this in any way to make money or sell this modification; it was originally for me because I got sick of all this American rubbish and wanted it to be more realistic.

[Actually,] I'd like to join the police. I don't really see myself as a game designer, I want to get into computer forensics... It's really just for fun and a chance to play it as if it was in New Zealand.

Via: gtagaming

Comments

i think people are misinterpreting what he means by the "American rubbish" statement, im fairly sure he refering to fact that there is a lack of New Zealand culture in games these days and most American games feature predominantly American culture. he just wants to enjoy the game more by making it more relevant to him.

"As for coming to NZ, most people think American tourists are loud and rude."

We got that from the British ;)

@ConstantNeophyte:

Are all Kiwis required to have their sense of humour surgically removed, or is it just you?

Just Look At This For a secondLoved the Comprehensive work. impressive [LINK=http://ba-free-ca.150m.com/index1.html]1985 diagram free toyota wire[/LINK] 1985 diagram free toyota wire

Re:

Chill out for gods sake, I meant that as it would be nice if there was one game that came out with a New Zealand setting, but everything is American dominated, and its annoying as hell, its not like when you buy a game or a movie that its got an even chance of being set in the UK or the Australia or New Zealand as it does with the USA. Its annoying how everything is dominated by the USA

Matthew Wilsonmetaphorically speaking of course04/17/2015 - 9:40pm