Glenn Beck: Video Game Bloggers Are “Losers”

Socrates, Plato, Aristotle… Morons!

N’Gai Croal, Brian Crecente, Stephen Totilo… Losers!

So sayeth Glenn Beck, anyway.

Beck exploited the popularity of the Grand Theft Auto IV phenomenon again this evening. It was Beck’s second GTA IV-themed segment in the last few days.

GamePolitics readers will recall that Beck allowed Jack Thompson to smear the ESRB and several major retailers last week without once advising his CNN Headline News audience that they were listening to a lawyer facing possible disbarrment.

Dr. Cheryl Olson, co-author of Grand Theft Childhood was Beck’s guest this time. She was quite reasonable, but Beck made faces during certain parts of her commentary.

The highlight of the segment came when Beck played the role of the martyr:

UPDATE: Mark Methenitis, an attorney who pens the excellent Law of the Game blog, has written an open letter to Glenn Beck regarding Jack Thompson’s appearance.

[…] Here it is, the proud Tuesday edition of GNoI full of all the current industry newsbits and bites and bytes and other punny whatnots. GTAIV coverage is still ongoing as the after effects are being felt a week after the initial launch and of course the build up – but there are other important bits in the news, so without any further adieu let us dive forth and dive into today’s GNoI: Glenn Beck is back at it again, and Gamepolitics has the roundup on last night’s broadcast where Glenn Beck attempted to usurp information from one of the co-authors of Grand theft Childhood. Beck also whines at the end of the segment with a fervor for the dramatic on par with Jack-y-boy Thompson and Uwe Boll – complete vd seg in the link GlennBeck […]

Jake says:

Successful troll is successful:

“Because all of these bloggers started coming after me, you know, in some sort of witch hunt, I decided, oh, okay. I offhanded said, in a joking fashion, they’re all losers, I even said, to piss them off and now look at you. You’re so obsessed with it. What time did you get up this morning to make sure you could call? How many hours have you spent thinking about this?”

Lowell says:

Boy, does this web page ever make his point entirely.

Take a minute, turn it off and go get some sun — use SPF 60 for the first few days, though.

StealthKnight ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Don’t tell him about German, Japan and other European countries. They have legalized prostitution. I think we as Americans forget are culture is just one out of 137 different kinds. And that does not include gang or other cultures non official cultures. What we view as right may contradict everyone else’s culture. People like Glen Beck view their culture as the “right” one and see every other culture as abnormal. We need to remember we are not the only ones out there in the world and we should observe what other cultures do to find alternative solutions.

Alexander says:

I’m 18 and think he is a moron. How is this news? In life you can hire a prostitute and beat her to death with a bat, so by his logic we should all kill ourselves to escape life. I kill people in games all the time, but this has no different of an effect on me than if I was playing “Go Fish” (other than with GTA I am entertained, and with “Go Fish” I am bored). I get excellent grades, don’t get into fights, and get along with people (especially my teachers). I swear, but I did that before I ever played any video game with swears in it (I swore even worse when I was eight years old playing Mario than I do now). And enough with the sarcasm. Sarcasm does not belong in news. I heard a lot of (ignorant) opinion with very little news at all. And calling people losers over television is just pathetic.

UhhKris says:

I. Love. Mark Methenitis.
    Enuff sed.

Glenn Beck obviously has the mental capacity of a 3 year old and only gets into fights when he has the MASSIVE upper hand.
    I’m making a bullshit call to anything he says.

Meggie ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Black Manta Says:
    “Gamers? Losers?! Inconcievable!”

Darn you Black Mantra, you beat me to it 😉

Beck making faces reminds me of Bender from the Breakfast Club, he just can’t keep his opinions to himself for five minutes.

Not an Aussie says:

“In ‘GTA IV’, players can drive drunk, deliver drugs, and kill cops.”

Huh, funny thing is, you can do that in real life too. Anyone else notice that?

Austin Lewis ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

So i beat the game today, and all I can say is that the ending is sad no matter how you go. Great game, with a heart-wrenching ending no matter what path you take.

Rodrigo Ybáñez García ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I founded this on Destructoid: Ten Golden Rules of the anti-videogame lobby:

1: Exaggerate, twist, but above all … LIE!

2: Fear is the best insurance that money can buy

3: Your experts are experts. Experts that contradict you are not experts

4: Use terms like “desensitize” as if they actually mean something:

5: “In GTA, you can hire a prostitute, beat her to death and then steal her money.”

6: Pass yourself off as an expert

7: It’s always about the children

8: Circular logic works because circular logic works

9: Hypocrisy, always hypocrisy

10: Never actually PLAY the game

LOL, if Glen Beck master this rules, he will conquer Jack Thompson´s place.

Loudspeaker ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ Gift

Well said.

This guy is very different from JT.

JT wants to be remembered as the guy who brought down Take-Two and exposed the video game industry for what it is… Whatever the hell that means. We already know if we keep on him like a bad cold he goes crazy and pretty must eliminates himself.

Glenn Beck is a different animal. He’s provoking the community so he can make himself out to be a martyr. If we were to make him, “flamed to a cinder” then we really would have created the monster to superceed JT. He will go back into obscurity faster than you can say Paris Hilton soon enough. Let him have his ignorant opinion and let it lie as such.

Gift ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Pulled faces did he? Bit immature on his part and so is calling people “losers”, it’s like being back in the playground.

Anyway, I have a hard time getting angry with the guy, he just strikes me as supremely foolish. Case in point, declaring himself and “enemy of gamers”? If he starts provoking such a large internet community does he not realised we’re talking the very definition of asymmetric warfare here? Millions of mostly anonymous people vs one very public target… the guy will be flamed to a cinder.

Very silly indeed.

Matt Sutton says:

It’s “I couldn’t care less”, Glenn. Somebody who is on news television should learn how to properly use a phrase if they are going to try and make a point.

“I couldn’t care less.”

Christophe Janson ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Wow i can’t even begin to dissect the ignorance in that video, that’s almost worse than Jack Thompson. The way he grinned and looked away while she was talking was so goddamn lacking in respect If you don’t care about gamers and games don’t fucking talk about them, i don’t take shit out of my ass and smear it all over your favorite interest on national telly.

F**Ked up says:

“There are 2 things that are infinite in this world, the universe and human stupidity, and frankly I m not so sure about the universe” ~ Albert Einstein.

apparently human stupidity is at its highest levels lately.

Cortex ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Glenn reminds me of the WKTT station.(GTA4, ironically)

“Technology is a lie so the Liberals could kill us!”

funniest station ever XD

EvilTikiMan ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This guys, while being an ass for his overall tone and rude sarcasm, is not nearly as bad as some of the people that are against video games. He himself said that it is not just video games, but attributes problems to culture as a whole, and in way I agree. Granted he does place far more emphasis on video games, but that is only because the topic was on video games to begin with. He was however quite fair(mostly) when he was talking to Dr. Cheryl Olson who did very well in answering him.
    The only 2 things that really bugged me in the clip was when Dr. Olson made the remark “…Its almost like a big sand box game…” and his ‘swing’ at video game bloggers.

1. The gaming community have been calling it, and games like it, a sand box game for YEARS, and a non gamer has finally just figured it out. That is kind of sad. Hopefully more parents will read that book and pay some head to what it says.
    2. How immature can someone be? “I’m the enemy now of video gamers. I could care less about video games. Video game bloggers? They’re losers…” Oh thats how. He must be pretty high on himself if he thinks that the gaming community hates him that much after making one public anti-video game statement. Sure there are probably some people who have done that, but honestly we are not that stupid.
    I also love his statement that he makes at the end. “…everyone dismisses their little part of it.” It is so true, that it also applies to news media as well as everything else. That means you too Glenn Beck.

dmr9748 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I find it funny that the people that he considers “loosers” (I wonder if someone could sue for slander on that one….) has more factual information than he does.

Now, I don’t own a blog. I do reply to reports and comments on websites reporting such news and information, but that is completely different than having a blog.

Here is a good example of a blog:

What a hypocrite.

This guy is nothing more than a fascist that wants spread propaganda in order to skew everyone’s views of the subject matter to brainwash people into thinking that the blame that a child can access this material is the game developer’s fault and not the fault of the parents.

He loves to state all this stuff about the game, which parts of the information is incorrect such as any nudity be it topless or full nudity although there are some places that do wear very revealing clothing, but at no point does he state that the two consoles that play the games have a built-in system to prevent kids from playing games that have a certain rating.

Glen Beck, like many other idiots that want to abolish most video games, rather lie about to everyone about the content in a video game to get rid of the developers and publishers of such games despite the effect that it would have on our economy and not tell anyone that tool to prevent kids from playing these games, if they so wish, has been sitting right there under their nose the entire time.

Glen Beck is an asshole and should not be able to speak on public television unless he is willing to provide factual information with relevant proof and is willing to inform parents that the necessary tools to help prevent kids from playing said games is in the damn console that the kids use to play the games.

Haggard ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I feel my English citizenship qualifies me to say “What a wanker!”

I mean come on.. “I heard it gives you leprosy”. Is that a joke? Is it actually?

Loudspeaker ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ GP

LOL! I LOVE the Princess Bride referrences.

Honestly, I agree with everyone’s points (except gnome, retard). We really should just let this go. Glenn Beck is obviously looking for ratings and I completely agree that JT is the real enemy here, not Glenn Beck. Glenn is just being a complete tool. End of story.

With JT leaving him alone is a mistake. With Glenn it seems to be however the wind blows. He’s more attention whore than a vendetta driven mad man like he-who-shall-not-be-named.

He made his stance clear. If we start scorching everyone who differs with our viewpoint we simply become the problem rather than the solution. Glenn looks to me as someone just trying to get a reaction and that’s exactly what he’s accomplished.

I will restate what others have already said: Glenn Beck is no JT.

Akalic says:

I really like the points Dr. Cheryl Olson made. She seems very level headed and reasonable. I really have to keep an eye out for her book. Could be an interesting read.

Jabrwock ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Beck is a hack. I don’t know how many times I can say this. He’s an O’Reilly wannabe.

Just watched his interview with Ben Stein over “Expelled”… If the man kowtowed himself any more, he’d be licking Ben’s shoes…

He might as well be advertised as CNN’s resident preacher.

Demontestament ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Just another guy trying to get his ratings up with the moron demographic by bashing on something he has no clue about. I have been playing GTA IV since the day it came out, and yet I see no nudity. Yes you can have sex with a hooker and kill them, but you don’t have too. No point in the game forces you to find one, screw them in your car and then kill them, trust me I’d rather spend the 5$ in game to eat food to restore health than the amount I need to shell out to a hooker to do the same thing.

He talks about murder and cop killing, yeah try killing anyone one the street and see how fast the cops are on you. Yeah One Star, easy to get away, two a little tougher but still manageable, three they begin to swarm like locus, four and up you are screwed. The game doesn’t let you kill random people and get away with it, the consequences usually cost you your life in game.

Rottenmeatpuppet says:

This is my response email to CNN in regards to glen beck.

Mr. Beck loses all credibility as any kind of journalist the minute he gang rapes GTA IV with the lawyer everyone loves to hate Jack Bruce Thompson. Pretending to know all about a game he has not even played and GB chimeing in with his oh so witty remarks (M for money, classic… but not really though), and then going out and generalizeing game bloggers as losers. Pretty clear what side of the fence he is on but instead of educateing people and parents about the content of the game he bashes it and takes a few of the worst pieces and makes them much worse than they seem.

For example here is a quote from the show “You can take a chainsaw and cut a cop in half,”. Truth is there is while you can kill cops in the game there is no chainsaws and no cutting peoples arms legs heads or any parts of the body off. A parent hearing his “facts” about the game would be worried about thier children doing that when it is absolutely not true.

How can you have a debate on the show when everyone is agreeing with eachother about how evil the game is and yet not a single person has played it. This is mud slinging at its lowest level and by all rights Take Two interactive should sue for slanderous remarks about thier products. If a BK advertisement says Mcdonalds makes you mensturate and grow breasts they should be held accountable for the backlash and so should Mr. Beck. An apology is all that is required and an attempt to set the record straight and tell some truth for once.

Jonnyboy says:

Yeah I know it may make us look like a bunch of psycos… but you know what. They already think that? Why not keep on honest rep lol. But he is not just insulting us, he is insulting the gaming industry as well.. which is a very powerfull industry. The gaming biz makes close to what hollywood makes. So obveously alot of people play games. This means he is insulting alot of people. Especially when he talks about a top selling game like grand theft auto 4.
    Im pretty sure alot of hardcore gamers are bloggers… This is not a good thing for him to do. I hope something happens. You know what I would like to see?

I would like to see a debate on hardball. That would be entertaining. And it would be fair because they would have someone for the games and against it.

Video Game Otaku ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“‘Anybody who listens to JT will conclude that something isn’t quite right with his hamster upstairs, but will listen to his argument, because it is capable of standing by itself.”

… forgive me while I die from laughing. when has ANYTHING JT said been capable of standing by itself? lol =P

Anyway back to topic: I say that all us “loosers” stop watching CNN, Im pretty sure all bloggers are video gamers and majority vis versa, and that makes up for a large percent of the popluation. Ratings will drop and so will Beck. ^_^

Near Fantastica says:

What a pretentious condescending douche. I mean, there is nothing more frustrating then watching TV personalities act they’re better then a certain group of people. I know this happens all the time but I’m thinking this guy needs to understand the collect wrath of the gaming community. At least we can show him and other like minded folk that we’re more intelligent than they like to think. Probably better drivers too.

Bebop ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

M equals money? I don’t think so, just look at the list of top selling video games for 2007

1) Halo 3 — Rated M17+
    2) Wii Play — Rated E (Everyone)
    3) Call of Duty 4 — Rated M
    4) Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock — Rated T (Teen)
    5) Super Mario Galaxy — Rated E (Everyone)
    6) Pokemon Diamond — Rated E (Everyone)
    7) Madden NFL 08 — Rated E (Everyone)
    8) Guitar Hero 2 — Rated T (Teen)
    9) Assassin’s Creed — Rated M
    10) Mario Party 8 — Rated E (Everyone)

Most of the games on the list are for everyone, and only three adult games made it to the top ten.
    It makes sense, PG-13 movies make more money than R rated movies because they are accessible to a wider audience, and games that appeal to a wide age range sell better than mature titles.

SteveUK ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Everyone who thinks that Mr. Beck should have notified the viewers of Jack Thompson’s disbarment trial – I disagree.

If you put a disclaimer before JT’s speech you are using the logical fallacy of argumentum ad hominem – attacking the person, not the argument.

Of course, if you just want to hate on the man, well – I can’t stop you – go ahead if you must …

Bebop ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“Wow, I would have expected this from Fox News, but CNN?”

Are you serious? Every news channel has people who blame video games on it. It’s easier than doing research, and they know there are plenty of irresponsible parents out there who need an excuse for why their kids are acting like animals.

I’m one those that used to like Glenn, but I can’t stand how he blames the stuff that kids do on things like movies, television, “evil” heavy metal music, and, of course — video games.

When I was growing up and I did something wrong, I got in trouble for it — I got blamed for it, and that’s all there was to it. I learned to be responsible for my actions because of those (sometimes painful) lessons.

I think that’s why so many kids run around and do such crazy things, because they know they aren’t going to get blamed for it in the first place. There are so many parents out there who won’t blame their kids (their little angels) when they do something wrong, that the kids know they can do whatever they want and get away with it.

When I was growing up, my brother and I were wrestling around in the living room, and, well — my brother got hurt. Mom knew the inspiration for our antics came from watching wrestling on television, but the interesting thing is, she didn’t blame the wrestling show for what WE DID, she blamed the two stupid kids who thought they could do what those wrestlers were doing, and we learned to be responsible for our actions because we knew we would be held accountable.

[…] Posted by on May 6, 2008   Glenn Beck has clearly gotten a taste for blood, as he continues his temporary crusade against Grand Theft Auto — and it WILL be temporary, as he’ll get bored of it when his viewers do. Here we see him talking to Dr. Cheryl Olson, co-author of Grand Theft Childhood, and as you can tell from his flabbergasted face, Beck seems quite disappointed that she’s an expert who, for once, is NOT saying things he agrees with.   It’s quite enjoyable watching him struggle to find a way to twist the argument back into the “GTA is evil” sentiment after Dr. Olson undermines his entire point. His shallow attempts to cash-in on the controversy (ironic that HE’s the one who says “M” stands for “Money”) come to a head when he randomly, for no reason, blurts this little gem of wisdom out during the interview:   I will tell you that all these video gamers … they’re bloggers, as well as video gamers – they’re writing all kinds of stuff about me [that] I’m the enemy now of video gamers. I could care less about video games. Video game bloggers? They’re losers …   Yup, that’s us. The very same bloggers you guys rely on to look trendy and cool nowadays are losers. I’m not even offended by that, actually. If Mr. Beck wants to tar an entire blogging industry with the loser-brush, that’s his business. Our business, however, is posting a Youtube of his stupid ramblings so we can all get hits off it, without providing a single shred of a f*cking rating to CNN.   So suck that one down, mate.    [Thanks to Jeffrey Strike] […]

Jim Sterling ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This is the way I look at it — he’s clamoring for our attention, but we’re posting Youtubes of his stupid ramblings. So … we get hits/discussion topics, and he gets nothing, really. So, we losers have that on him.

Alyric ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The “video game bloggers/losers” part struck me as unprepared rambling as he tried to recover from the shock of his guest not parroting everything he said.

Elomin ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Celebrating the birth of ‘his’ lord not ‘our’ silly generalisation there. No one knows when Jesus’ birthday is. 25th December was a festival celebrated already by the Pagan religion, some think he was born in October or even in the summer.
    Going one further, he forgets that the US was not founded to be a Christian, Catholic or any religion country. And all the God stuff was added in the 1950s.

Family friendly Wal-Mart? So many things with that, besides selling of guns which is ookay for them but not in GTA IV.
    Sorry, I’ve just got in to Uni and this isn’t the best thing to watch

Deatheater says:

Wow, Beck. I thought your statement here means that you’re a SORE LOSER. FYI, you keep pointing JT as if he’s some dog of yours, and yet there’s still NO CONSTITUTIONAL ANTI-VIDEO GAME LAW AS OF YET.

DarrelBT says:

Didn’t CNN hire Glen Beck as a “posterchild for Conservatives”?

ie. “This is CNN, and this is what Conservatives actually believe! LULZ!”

PeterWDawson ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Who the hell is this Beck guy anyways? Seriously? Who the hell cares what he thinks? He’s entitled to his ignorant opinion, since he’s the the real loser, losing out on life…

Nith ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Why are we amazed at Mr. Beck performance? After all, if he were on Fox ‘news’, he would just be one of the mindless idiots, babbling and drooling about those damn violent video games. But, because he’s on a real news network that has this thing called JOURNALISM, we take notice. Why? Cus he’s not a journalist nor professional. He’s just a loser in a suit.

He’s no Wolf Blitzer, nor Walter Cronkite.

CNN wanted in on some of the sensualism dollars that Fox ‘news’ rakes in. So they hire Glenn Beck to talk his mouth off like an imbecile. Why? Because your watching CNN and not Fox ‘news’. Why is that important? Cus of the commerials!

If we want to watch Journalist show their professionalism, then, shut Mr. Beck off.

TJLK ( User Karma: -1 ) says:

Thefremen – I HATE when people talk about Obama that way. I’m openly against Obama, Clinton and McCain but at least I find legitimate reasons to dislike them as politicians. Honestly, sinking so low to bringing up Obama’s insane pastor and poking fun at his name? It is honestly foolish and I am surprised at how frequently I hear both the Huissien Obama comment and also comments about his pastor. Its the thing people fall back on when they don’t know what they are talking about.

But praising him for those things is kind of like saying “Well he stinks like ass, but at lease he doesn’t stink like a horse’s ass.”

Thefremen ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Glenn Beck is not only a lvl 80 Hypocrit, he also has all purple gear and macros and UIs set up to be the most efficient hypocrit possible. You can find him LFG, searching for Loudmouths and Irresponsible Reporters.

The best thing you can say about him is that he isn’t calling Obama “Huissien Obama” or bringing up his pastor constantly.

Twin-Skies ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Deadly Cyclone

“Wow, I would have expected this from Fox News, but CNN?”

Every village has its share idiot(s), I guess.

The BS Police ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

My question is this:

Where the hell was his coverage on Video games when Halo 3 was released and broke all sales records?

The answer is simple, it only had violence and language, it didn’t have sexual themes in the game at all, talk about a double standard.

ecco6t9 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Seriously Glenn no one watches you on that sorry excuse for a network, I could post a myspace bulletin and get higher ratings than anything on CNNHN.

Also didn’t KSTE cancel your ass?

TJLK ( User Karma: -1 ) says:

Tell you what Glenn, I will take the label as a ‘loser’. But at least I’m not arrogant, ignorant, unenlightened and dishonest. All of which you ARE for pretending you know anything about this topic.

TJLK ( User Karma: -1 ) says:

I kind of thought Glenn Beck was an alright guy. He gave Ron Paul the time of day when no one else would and I thought that was pretty cool. Of course it was for ratings though, he was just taking advantage of Ron Paul’s popularity at the time. Same thing is happening with GTA IV. Its hot news and thats exactly what these “news” programs are. I mean his show is trying to bring you some sort of news or at least enlighten you about what is going on in the world of current events. Of course televised news is only used to get a quick, intense, and superficial interest from the viewers on topics they view as important. And instead of presenting facts they present opinions so it turns from being informative to being persuasive and in many cases purely entertainment value. Which would explain why many of these supposed informative talk shows such as the one Glenn Beck has will consider ‘The Daily Show’ and ‘The Colbert Report’ to be competition.

To wrap up my little rant I believe Glenn Beck is a joke. Not that I’m comparing him to other news programs but I am comparing him to the very idea of having an informative news talk show program and also to a decent human being. Both of the things I’m comparing him to he tends to not match up closely. I don’t really think these things I say are a result of me just disagreeing with the man but rather the because I think he is a ‘loser’ himself.

To put it in nice little package that both makes me happy and nicely sums up this entire post here is a message for Glenn Beck: “You’re an ignorant douche and your show sucks.”

Freak4all ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I grow tired of hearing about these people…sometimes I wish we could turn back the clock back to the days when gaming was a tiny subculture and we were left alone in peace. Kinda sad that I no longer watch news on TV for fear of seeing this crap, might as well cancel my cable subscription…..

J.D. says:

That woman is intelligent and open, that stupid ass clown Glenn Beck (what kind of name is that?) is just jumping on the bandwagon for his own gain, he is clearly a racist, sexist, tool and if he supposedly does not care about games/gamers why on earth is he pushing all this bull crap into the world?? Note: I’m a Roman Catholic and I love slaughtering people with my mini gun in GTA (it does not mean I shall do this in real live, I can tell the difference between that and a bunch of pixels),not all Christians etc. are preparing for the end of civilised society through video games and television.

Delta says:

I would not worry about it that much, no one even knew of Glenn Beck before the other day and the only reason he jumped onto the bandwagon is probably because good ol’ Jack Thompson told him:

1. Trash GTA
    2. Bring on Thompson
    3. Double Trash GTA
    4. Insult video game fans and bloggers
    5. ???
    6. PROFIT!!!

Seriously, Beck is doing this for the instant extra few thousand viewers because almost no one bothers to watch Headline News let alone his show, because all he is trying to be is a slapstick version of Rush Limbaugh on a traditionally liberal network. He knows insulting popular culture will incite hundreds of people to come rushing in defense of it because this generation is protective of it’s new culture and the prior generations don’t understand it, and refuse to.

Beck will be old news soon enough. I prefer to be playing Mario Kart Wii.

Altair says:

This guy seems like a watered down version of O’Reiley if you ask me. O_o Only because he actually made a joke “It also gives you leprosy” xD

mgs0lid ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I have been a big fan of glen beck for the past few years and I enjoy his tv show. I am a christian and a conservitive but I can still enjoy gta 4 because it is just a game… I really have no desire to go to the strip clubs in gta 4, but its a choice…. I have not been forced in to going to a strip club yet. I wonder if people are going to attack his amazon page now?

Overcast says:

Don’t really need to say much to him – just go google his ratings.

“Glenn Beck Ratings” – it says about all that needs to be said.

MasterAssassin ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This moron is going by the stereotype that all gamers are nerds with no social lives, who live in their mom’s basements and play Halo all day. Grow up Glenn! Most of us have family, friends, jobs, and school and we have every right to express our opinions. The only “loser” is him since he has to bash one of the hottest selling games ever to boost his ratings. I’m a conservative and I can’t stand people like him and O’Reily. At least Hannity and Rush don’t need to use this kind of sensationalist bullshit to get attention.

Humble Hobo says:

We need to represent ourselves better than the Amazon debacle.

We already have seen the power of the blogger/VG voices. Instead of doing anything rash that reflects poorly on us, please send polite and civilized emails and comments to Glenn Beck.

He will probably just ignore it, but make sure that you don’t make him out to be ‘an enemy of the VG community’.

Because if he wasn’t before, he certainly made it easier…

Grantlu says:

I saw a repeat of thr program just now, and there are two good things I can say about Glenn: He can be pretty witty at times and he doesn’t hate on just games. But yes, he is an arrogant little douchebag asshole.

Overcast says:

That’s ok Glenn – while you sit around babbling about more garbage on CNN to your mind numb audience that gets news a week later than any blogger out there, I’ll keep waisting my time playing video games – but it’s still much less of a waste than sitting like a drooling retard in front of the TV with a hand down my pants or something.

I’m just feel so bad I don’t have a respectable job like you – I just keep multi-millions of dollars of production going each day, that your silly network would fall apart without. While you are a talk show host!!!

So perhaps I’m a loser – but I’m a happy loser, content with myself and life.

BrandonL337 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Captain Kickass

Yes he said (possibly paraphrasing) “Go play a suicide game and get really good at it.”

Christian says:

Should someone point out that some movies that are a part of America Cinema has everything he said in the beginning like Godfather (All three), Goodfellas, Casino, etc. All he is looking for is a scapegoat. Everything he listed is a scapegoat. He said it himself he does not care for video games well then, then stop reporting about gaming like that. He fails to mention anything else about gaming. Gaming is not just Grand Theft Auto. He fails to mention or tell what other things a parent can do about their children’s playing habits. He is clearly blowing so much smoke out of his ass he should be declared an environmental hazard.

Father Time ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I prefer Jon Stewart’s old joke about the M rating

‘Many people feel the M for mature rating is too vague and totally inaccurate in describing anyone who plays video games. Future rating suggestions include D for drop-out W for wastoid and CTMB for child trapped in man’s body … that would be me.’

DmonKonStanTine ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Ladies and Gentlemen presenting the new Jack Thompson-With Spanish subtitles……Great just what we need another anti-gamer blowhard, except this one has his own TV show and people actually pay attention to what he says. This could go badly for us, but judging from his anti-gamer rant last week he’s just blowing smoke for the ratings boost. However if he does continue with his anti-gaming rhetoric it could backfire and gamers once again could be portrayed in a negative light. Now while he isn’t attacking the industry itself (yet) I believe the ESA and ECA should respond so we don’t end up with another Thompson on our hands.
    And on a side note I noticed that the Announcer in GTA IV’s radio station WKTT sounds remarkably similar to Glenn, both in tone and speech, go figure.

Captain Kickass ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ gnome

I think Jack Thompson said something similar to that…. didn’t JT tell a kid to go get good at a suicide game?

Oh no… gnome, you’re turning into a Wacko-Jacko!! Quick, go take 20 large doses of GTA and drink 3 cups of Mortal Kombat. That’ll fix you up.

jab49 says:

The other day I caught CNN for the first time in years, I hadn’t really bothered with TV news my whole life other then when I was a kid and my parents would watch it. Anywho I was absolutely blown away by the pandering ridiculous flashy presentation and I turned to a friend of mine with a look of ‘WTF?’ and he seemed surprised that I was surprised and said it had been like that for years. CNN and fox news are absolutely the single most ridiculous things on tv, I don’t understand how Americans can watch it, the whole thing is a farce.

Chalts ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@ gnome

That was rabid and uncalled for. You’re the kind of gamer moron that those like JT use to ‘prove’ their point. That sort of hate is exactly the same thing that motivates Thompson.

Glenn Beck is not an irrational jerk like Jacko, He’s just got a strong and very misguided opinion. We may not be able to change his mind, but we can at least force him to rethink his viewpoints by throwing the facts at him.

Jonnyboy says:

Glen… You don’t want to mess with the bloggers.. .YOU REALLY DON’t wanna mess with them.. because they WILL screw you over…. Remember that lady who said all those bad things about mass effect? remember what they did? lol.

Black Manta ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Love the pic, Dennis. :)

“Gamers? Losers?! Inconcievable!” 😀

I didn’t watch the broadcast and I’m not going to watch the YouTube video. From what I’ve read here, Beck reacted exactly the way I expected him to. To actually see it played out would only serve to infuriate me.

I’d say spam, troll and otherwise Zerg rush the sucker to the point where we make his life miserable. But Nightwing is right; emailing him would be about as useful as emailing JT. You can lead a horse to water and all that. The guy’s mind is already made up and if that’s the case, all the emailing in the world won’t change it. Sometimes it’s best to let an ignorant jackass remain an ignorant jackass. He’s in the minorty, and despite whatever he and JT may say, our side has been steadily gaining traction.

This is a war, and once in a while the enemy is bound to get a few hits in. That’s a given. But slowly and surely, we are winning, and time is on our side.

gnome says:

Glenn Beck’s mother committed suicide because he was such an asshole, and he tried to kill himself too. He talks his hate speech with the eloquence of shit shooting out of an asshole onto someone’s face. He’s a “reformed” alcoholic and drug addict. Bullshit. He’s just an asshole that happened to walk into CNN and land a job. He defended our country’s awful health system until he actually got a taste of what it feels like to sit at the hospital for a few hours too long waiting for treatment for a serious condition. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEXT SUICIDE, GLENN. IT WOULD HELP THE WORLD TO BE RID OF YOU!

Adam ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Why do people like this guy and Jack Thompson think that kids are so stupid? Kids are not all monkey see monkey do. Kids are smart enough to know the damn difference between a game and reality.

Trevor McGee says:

I’ve never even heard of the asshole until now. He’s a moron, and disrespectful one at that for sitting there and mocking his guest and then picking a fight with gamers and bloggers on TV. What a joke. I also like how he ignored her when she mentioned that a lot of the crap they like to mention is in no way forced upon the player. You’re not the “enemy”, we just recognize you as an idiot, plain and simple.

GRIZZAM 512 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The only thing I find in entertainment that I find truly bad for society is the lack of originality and imagination. Take MTV for example. First it’s “Titties and Cash” by Lil’ Nutsak, followed by “Bootie Shakes for Me” by Young Reezie, then it’s “I Have Large Genitals” by MC Ihavelargegenitals. Then it’s “I’m a little whiny pussy who thinks he’s totally metal, despite the fact that I’m not at all hardcore and can’t seem to hold the pitch of my voice because I’m still going through puberty at age 35” by Some Shitty Emo Band. Seriously, for the sake of the children, help us kill all the wussy emo bands. :)

Captain Fong the Pirate Ninja says:

Did he make any sort of conclusion or last words to the camera after he finished the interview, or did the interview end and he quickly moved on to a different topic?

Baruch ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Somebody’s a bit self-absorbed. You’re not that important, buddy. In fact, I think this is the first I’ve ever heard your name mentioned alongside video games. You should probably deflate that ego a bit before you float away.

And I don’t think anybody cashing in on the GTA scare should be throwing around the term “loser.” Come on, at least come up with your own material and have the decency to listen to your guests without pulling childish faces. Most of us got over that phase when we were in kindergarten.

Chalts ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’m honestly thinking about calling Rush’s show on Open Line Friday and trying to frame the video game issue on the censorship level. Getting twenty million people (Rush’s average listeners a day) to hear the gamer’s point of view has to have some effect, right?

The only problem is I doubt Rush knows or cares much about the games debate since he usually spends his time on the broad strokes.

Hackangel ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“I will tell you that all these video gamers… they’re bloggers, as well as video gamers – they’re writing all kinds of stuff about me [that] I’m the enemy now of video gamers. I could care less about video games. Video game bloggers? They’re losers…”

Doesn’t anybody else think it’s funny that he makes a point about saying this when he says he doesn’t care?

No one says:

If you take a look at what he’s saying, you will notice he’s not really after the games. Well he is, but he’s balanced, he has gone after rap, and teen idols who are not being a role model, tv shows aimed at kids that should not be, ect, ect. So He’s balanced. He’s not like the other idiots who seem to be fine with R rated movies and everything else but go after games day in and day out.

So if you put all the things together, he is saying they are downgrading society in a way I guess. I don’t see why thats unreasonable. I think he has a point. But I think most of the blame is with the doctors who put everyone on drugs.

TBone Tony ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Nudity, Prostitution, Cop killing, murder,

All of those things are perfectly within the M rating.

It is how extreme these things are portrayed that determins the difference between a M rating and AO rating.

So therefore, this guy is only just exagerating if he has not even played GTA yet.

I was happy to know that at least the author of Grand Theft Childhood had a chance to tell the audience about her reaserch and her findings that was based on talking to kids who have played GTA and it was really positive how she pointed out that you don’t need to access all the bad things like Prostitution in order to win the game.

She should also could have talked more about the general missconceptions of GTA, but by the way Glenn Beck was looking at her thinking that he did not believe what she was talking about, it looked like he would not chance his mind because he had been perswayded by Jack Thompson

Also calling Videogame Bloggers and generalising them as loosers and saying he could not care less about Videogames is just not really professional journalism.

M rating is for Money????

Another deeply negative generalisation… not all M rated games sell heaps of copies of games, or else Nintendo would have gone bust right now.

Nintendo has made heaps of money from their success and popularity of their Wii games and DS games, but have they made any M rated ones???

Thus, this is the reason why the Videogame Industry needs people within the industry to stand up and defend Videogames, because no one will listen to the game bloggers who are perhaps the most informed people because gamers are the people who do play the Videogames, but not many would listen.

Dan J ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’m sure it’ll disappear into the pit of, but I sent this response in via their feedback form. It won’t change anything, but maybe there’s a tiny chance that reasonable voices get through. I don’t want the only response to this kind of uninformed bigotry to be tanking a book rating on Amazon… we need to be able to provide a better response than that.

Regarding the Glenn Beck show:

I was disappointed with the uneven coverage Mr. Beck has provided this past week regarding video games (in his two segments on Grand Theft Auto 4). First, his guest last week, Jack Thompson, has just been through a disbarment hearing with the Florida Bar for his abrasive tactics in his “anti-gaming crusade.” To bring him on as an expert witness and not once mention this rather glaring fact is a failure to provide Beck’s audience with the full truth of the matter.

Secondly, Beck brought Dr. Olsen (co-author of “Grand Theft Childhood”) on as a counterpoint guest but seemed completely uninterested in letting her actually discuss the findings presented in her book. Especially paired with the UK’s recent Byron Report, “Grand Theft Childhood” makes a lot of gamers – like me – hopeful that our society might finally have the chance to put the sensationalism aside and begin a constructive *dialogue* about children and video games. Beck seems far more interested in preserving the fear-driven status quo than in possibly hearing an opinion that runs counter to his own preconceptions.

Lastly, I feel the need to comment briefly about Beck’s quip, “Rated ‘M’ for Money.” The MPAA’s movie rating system has at the top of its system an R rating – under 17 requires permission/accompaniment by an adult – and NC-17, which may not be viewed by someone 17 or younger. This system, which is entirely voluntary, is embraced by the vast majority of Americans as effective in helping guide their children’s movie-watching choices. The ESRB’s system includes T (Teen, ~13 and up), M (Mature, 17 and up), and AO (Adults Only, 18 and up). In fact, the advisories are identical, and their content thresholds for sex and violence are similar (if anything, M is slightly less forgiving than R). Grand Theft Auto 4 includes no more graphic depictions of sex and violence than an R-rated movie; to claim it deserves an AO rating is baseless. More, it is irresponsible of Mr. Beck to misrepresent the ESRB’s rating scheme to his viewership, especially in light of everything that organization has done to *help* parents make educated choices about their children’s gaming habit.

This country needs dialogue, not finger-pointing, if both sides of the argument are ever going to come to an understanding. I’m still waiting for a reporter brave enough to rise to that challenge. Beck, having already dismissed all online gaming journalism personalities as “losers,” is clearly not that reporter.

-Dan J

TheEdge ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I don’t know much about Glenn Beck,so I can’t exactly say much more than he is an inane babbler who needs to shut up.

For every Rush(yes I like Rush,deal),you get a dozen O’Rileys’

Chalts ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Glenn Beck’s comment about Dennis and his fellow bloggers being losers was utterly uncalled for. Nonetheless, I did try and appeal to his conscience and sent him this email:

Dear Mr. Beck.

I am a huge fan of your show and enjoyed An Inconvenient Book greatly; I’m a twenty year old Conservative college student living in Greeneville, Tennessee. And I am am glad to see someone championing conservative values on a network typically associated with the liberal media, especially with your sarcastic humor.

However, this is why it greatly concerns me that you’ve taken it upon yourself to target Grand Theft Auto 4 in your recent TV programs. GTA 4 certainly has no place in the hands of children, and retailers–and especially parents–should strive to keep it from their hands if possible. However, your calling for the game to have an AO rating was uncalled for and equivalent to censorship. You mentioned that it would keep the game off the store shelves of Wal-Mart and Target. This is true.

What you didn’t say is that it would prevent the game from having any console release at all.

Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft all prohibit games rated Adults Only from appearing on their consoles; the only way it could be released for adults to play would be a PC release, which even then could only be downloaded or ordered off the internet (even GameStop does not currently stock AO-Rated games.) It would stifle sales and make it difficult for even mature players to play the game. (I know my computer could never run a game with graphics the caliber of GTA4, so a PC release would be out of the question for me.)

An AO rating is tantamount to censorship, and as a Conservative I am always against it. Censorship is the Left’s turf, a strange and foreign ground that I dare not tread.

If the government forced the ESRB to change rating, it would violate the first ammendment, and if the ESRB did it voluntarily, Rockstar would simply cut out the most offensive elements and resubmit it for a second rating. The hookers and most of the violence would still be in the game, as they’ve been in every iteration of the series since 2001.

I’ve played every console GTA since Grand Theft Auto 3; I’ve played Mortal Kombat since I was ten years old, and other violent video games since I’ve been old enough to handle the controls. Yet in school the only fight I’ve ever been involved in was breaking up a throw-down between two girls as a high school Junior. I have maintained a 3.9 GPA at my college and hope to soon resume work on my first novel. The only trouble I’ve ever had with the law was a minor traffic violation. If anyone is a case study as to whether violent video games are signficatnly harmful to an otherwise well-raised individual, I think I qualify. Parents and peers, not media, are the primary factor in how an individual develops, and assuming that some violent fiction can undo that programming is an insult to the work so many parents put into raising their kids. (And the real troubles of the current generation are largely an indictment of parents who have failed to raise their children correctly, not of the trashy media that these teens revel in.)

By all means, remind parents to keep violent and sexually charged video games out of the hands of their children. But please don’t call for what amounts to censorship; that’s not the Conservative way, nor is it the American way.

A friend of mine made an observation the other day that I thought I’d share with you.

“In Grand Theft Auto 4, it is possible, but not necessary, to pick up a hooker, have sex with her, then kill her and take your money back. In that sense, it is exactly like real life.”

Jack Wessels ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Paul Gonzalez

Speaking of contact. Is there some trick to emailing Thompson? I miss my daily laugh at him, sometimes I go days with out seeing him make an ass of himself.

So I’ve been trying to send him emails that are perfectly civil to see if he’ll respond violently. But every time I try it tells me it can’t go through.

Paul Gonzalez says:

Dennis please see if you can get into contact with him and inform Glenn of everything about yourself, your website, and the truth about Jack. Please let him know how horiffically misguided he has been on all of this.

Helpless Doom ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

She has a PhD! She is not an imbecile. Her arguments were sound and reasonable. The message was, “be parents”. And Beck has the immaturity level to make faces at her. Maybe he should steer clear of M games because he obviously doesn’t have the maturity level to comprehend the reality vs virtual reality.

Velvet_Llama says:

That was shameful. I cannot believe the faces he made while she was talking. The woman has a PhD for fuck’s sake. At least show her the respect of waiting until after the segment to make your fucking smug little faces. It also shows the complete lack of respect he has for the scientific inquiry into social issues.

I think an interesting contrast is Dr. Olson’s reaction, or lack thereof when Beck said that video game bloggers were “losers.” You can tell she didn’t appreciate the comment. Watch her face closely, she gets a little smirk and grits her teeth. She obviously wants to call him out for being an asshole, but she’s a professional and knows how to act respectfully.

GRIZZAM 512 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

@Anyone who thinks this guy is at the same level as JT

He’s not. He doesn’t even come close to the level of obsessiveness as JT, who’s at the same level as some of the more hardcore Batman villains. He doesn’t come close to the level of imfamy among game players. Ask a gamer who they’ve heard more about: JT or Glenn Beck? They’ll say JT.

potatojones83 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Wow, now THAT is a class act. Calls game bloggers losers, couldn’t care less about gamers, rolls his eyes and dismisses the viewpoints of his guest. No wonder him and JT got along so well.

GRIZZAM 512 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I think what he meant was that the bloggers who have nothing to offer but insults are losers. At least I hope that’s what he meant.

Salen says:

Yes, its sad. Glenn Beck thinks we’re idiots because we like video games and blog. If Glenn Beck wanted to really make us not like him, he’d be here telling us all in person that we’re horrible losers and that we’re going to be sued by him for being right, just like JT.

This guy is a waste of perfectly good airtime, and frankly, I plan on leaving him some feedback on the CNN feedback page about him.

Michael Brooks ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

1. It was quite obvious he didn’t know he what he was getting when he asked her onto the show from all the snotty faces he was making when she was defending games, and from how he ended the segment so quickly.

2. He doesn’t care what video gamers think of him? Which is why he talked about it out of nowhere? Sounds like someone’s in denial …

3. People are losers because they express their opinion? And it’s something negative about him? What a hypocrite.

Glenn Beck: skyrocketing to the top 5 on my shitlist in one day.

hayabusa75 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Someone had the megalomania flakes for breakfast this morning! What a pompous buffoon. “Look at me, I’m big and important because I’ve got my own TV show! I’m right, you’re wrong!” I swear when the man talks, you can literally see the conceit dripping off that fat head of his. His generalization of game bloggers says all you need to know about the man.

Kudos to Cheryl for not taking the bait on his not-so-cleverly leading questions. I thought she did a terrific job objectively analyzing today’s climate of parent/child/game relationships, and also pointing out the myth of game violence causing the real thing.

As for GTA IV causing leprosy, it simply can’t be true, otherwise his mailbox might be full of “gift” copies by now.

metroidprimegmr says:

I just subbed this to FARK…
    On a related note, we’re finally on Fark’s default list of sources!
    /breaks out the champagne

Arashi ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Someone seems to have a high opinion of himself… …sounds like Mr. Beck needs to take a good long look in the mirror. “OH NOES, TEH BLOGGERS, THEY HAET MEEEE”

Positive_Gamer ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

At about 2:44 or so he starts to talk about things that are the downfall of society, and you should note, he mentions talk radio (*cough*Him*cough)

Sukasa ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Seeing his face while she was talking makes me believe that he was thinking “this women should know her place and go be a good housewife, and let men like me tell the world the “truth” about this game”

On a side note, for a GTA 5, it would be interesting if there was more options like go to church, go to work, post office etc. Almost like the Sims, so then Rockstar can say that you the player have the choice of being a “good” citizen or a “bad” citizen. It would mirror real life almost. Bob can either start off as a low level mob enforcer or work at MacDonalds. If the critics still cry about the game because it mirrors what is seen in the world, they should have a problem more with the world then the game.

CycloneTH says:

Didn’t seem that bad to me. The fact the Glenn Beck let someone who WASN’T talking out of their ass onto his show says he at least wants to feign unbiasedness, which is more than I can say for FOX News. His inane remarks trying to back the points during the interview with JT were rather asinine, yes, but at least he let Cheryl talk, much more than I can say for JT when he’s thrown in the ring with pro-game experts. (Not that I’d call JT an expert by any stretch of the imagination.)

GRIZZAM 512 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

There are bloggers who are pretty fucking worthless, but there are also some damn fine ones. Don’t generalize is the message of the day.

[…] wrote an interesting post today onHere’s a quick excerptSocrates, Plato, Aristotle… Morons! N’Gai Croal, Brian Crecente, Stephen Totilo… Losers! So sayeth Glenn Beck, anyway. Beck – just like the video game industry he’s taken to bashing – cashed in on the popularity of Grand Theft Auto IV phenomenon this evening. It was Beck’s second GTA IV-themed segment in less than a week. GamePolitics readers will recall that Beck let Jack Thompson spew nonsense at some length last week without once advising his CNN Headline News audience that they were listening to a lawyer facing possible disbarrment. Dr. Cheryl Olson, co-author of Grand Theft Childhood was Beck’s guest this time. She was reasonable, so naturally Beck made faces during certain parts of her commentary. The highlight of the segment came when Beck played the role of the martyr: I will tell you that all these video gamers… they’re bloggers, as well as video gamers – they’re writing all kinds of stuff about me [that] I’m the enemy now of video gamers. […] […]

GOOD says:

Calling all gamers/bloggers loosers is like me telling him he is a child molester because some mormans like to screw little boys and girls.
    But I dont generalize people.

Ravenhawk ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

He WISHES he was important enough that we’d all be writing about how he’s the enemy of video games. Highest rank I see putting him at is “idiot who someone handed a soapbox.”
    My question is..
    How do these people get away with calling themselves “news.” That term used to require a spot of impartiality..

Captain Kickass ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

He said “I could care less”. That means he cares about video games… then why does he lie? WHYY!!?!?!?

the conspiracy says:

What I mean is, lets not be like scientologists, and create another JT. Beck rants about a wide variety of topics. He’ll move on, and this will just be a footnote.

Channing ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Bloggers are after him? C’mon, Glenn. You’re on Headline News. If you were on the equivalent sports channel, it would be ESPN8 (aka “The Ocho”). I seriously doubt the blogging world is up in arms about what a third-rate Hannity knockoff has to say, most likely squeezed between Headline Sports (Jerome Jurenovich for life!) and the Entertainment Minute.

BrandonL337 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I actually really like the baseball bat aside from beating up pedestrians you can use it to hit cars and break their windows and provoke people to attack you, although the knife is a better weapon the bat is more versatile

Humble Hobo says:

and another thing…

Once the misconceptions clear about VG/RL violence (when all the activists die of old age) it really wouldn’t hurt to look into it.

Everyone here knows that violent content DOES NOT CAUSE violent behavior. However, there is definitely desensitization, and negative effects on young children. The rating system is not flawed, though.

The other side has VALID POINTS, but they are so hung up on this whole killing training simulation thing that no one can address them.

Jack Wessels ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

God this is frustrating as hell. Calling us losers while one of his most recent guests is facing disbarment for being a total psychopath. Screw you Beck.

KayleL ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

People do protect there favourite part of violent media. The ironic thing is that he is part of the media which tells people about real life violence, and many time just for the purpose of the scare factor. If anything normalizes violence, it’s American news because it shows how many people are killed every day, and how violent society is, etc.