19-year-old Gamer Elected Mayor of Oklahoma Town

Although we know that John Tyler Hammons is a gamer, we’re not sure which console he favors.

He seems to be an expert at the political game, however. As the Associated Press reports, The 19-year-old University of Oklahoma freshman, a political science major, was elected mayor of Muskogee, a city of 38,000. He will be sworn in to the unpaid position next week.

Hammons, who drubbed a 70-year-old challenger, wants to create an ethics commission and set up a campaign finance reporting system. From the AP report:

His ambition doesn’t stop him from enjoying the typical diversions of a 19-year-old: video games, movies, fast cars and rock ‘n’ roll. As for dating, the skinny, baby-faced Hammons said he’s waiting to see what kind of offers come his way.

Local cafe owner Gary Armstrong said:

He doesn’t have the baggage. He doesn’t owe anybody anything. It’s sort of a fresh start for Muskogee.

Ricky McNeal says:

2828 NW 30TH

steelninja187 says:

I want to know this guy’s gamertag, apparently he’s a fan of Halo 3 according to a few interviews. I’d like to see how good he is.

Anonymous says:

That is great. I just hope he is a good mayor. the fact it is unpayed means he is serious. If he gets a place to live in I hope he puts in a skate ramp and a rockband theatre. really make it X-TREME! isn’t that what gen Y do?

JC says:

Damn, he’s very young. He’s probably very sneaky to have taken the seat at the age of 19 or just really crooked at the game of politics. In any case, I hope he makes the place prosper >_>

fake jake thompson says:

From: Fake Jake Thompson, Esq. And Gadfly.

To: Chief Judge Fred Moreno

RE: 13th Floor

Dear Judge Moreno:

Perhaps you remember me from 60 minutes, or C-Span, or my near miss run against Janet Reno in the 1980’s. She actually smacked me, for which I had a criminal investigation conducted. My right shoulder has never been the same since. Anyway, I digress.

It has come to my attention that the new federal courthouse has 13 floors. I hereby demand you either add or subtract one floor for the following reasons:

1) The number 13 is the sign of satan.

2) Several bad things happen on the 13th floor of different buildings in the new video game grand theft autoIV, including simulated oral sex, simulated anal sex, simulated vaginal sex, and simulated pool. Young children should not be exposed to billards before the age of 18, according to several reliable psychological studies.

I demand that you fix the building or I shall see you in court, and NOT on the 13th floor. The ball is in your court- fix it now, or pay later. Either way, this should be fun.

Fake Jake Thompson, Esq., and Gadfly. (you will note that Jake Thompson has 12 letters, and with good reason I may add. But "federal courts" have 13 letters and that is a very bad sign for you.)
    FKT, E&G.

E. Zachary Knight says:

He ran on a platform of open government and change. Kind of like a mini Obama. Basically, the town had no idea what the previous mayor was doing and he wasn’t talking with anyone.

One of the first things he plans to do when he is sworn in is forming an Ethics Committee and negociating with the Muskogee Firefighters Union for better wages.

E. Zachary Knight

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

TheGreg says:

I know this isn’t the place for the kind of research i’d like, but I would like to know more about the issues he ran on. He may be a gamer, but i’m sure that didn’t get him elected with all the old folks.

Loudspeaker says:

I definitely think this echos what you’re about to see all across the United States.  People are fed up with the “old guard” and want representatives that truly represent the values and needs of the people.  I hope he does a great job for that city!  Power to the gamers!

DavCube ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

You-know-who is probably in the fetal position trying to find his happy place right now.

That was sarcasm, if you’re reading this, You-know-who. We know you’re not THAT bent. Maybe.

cppcrusader says:

I’d be up for meeting up, but I don’t know that I’ll have the time.  It’s going to be a pretty quick trip, flying out tomorrow, spending a couple days out at Camp Gruber and then coming back.

Anonymous says:

Certainly not him. He looks far more Alpha Beta Phi…

Though maybe when you apply "baby face" to the world of politics, what they’re really saying is that his face doesn’t look like it’s melting off, or "he doesn’t have a hooker stuck in his gums."

Larington ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Just thought I’d mention somewhere, it seems I’m having to occasionally do a force refresh (Ctrl-F5) to get new news to display.

GameDevMich says:

@cppcrusader – You should meet up with this guy for some Halo+Hookers.  Political scandal, always a winner!

We’ve all said it before: “One day, our generation (the gamers) will be running things.”  I know he isn’t the first gamer to be elected as an official.  However, I hope his youth and gamer habits scare the shit out of the “Olde Guard,” making them realize their time is nearly at an end.

Dan says:

To quote Blackadder:

Pitt the younger: I intend to put my own brother up as a candidate against you.

Blackadder: And which Pitt would this be? Pitt the Toddler? Pitt the Embryo? Pitt the glint in the milkman’s eye?

Voligne the Archon says:

And so the take over begins, first with the towns, then the states, then the nations, then the world. MUWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA *cough cough*

Finally one of our own people in office, its about time.