BREAKING: id Software Leaves ESA

Is the Entertainment Software Association DOOMed?

It might seem that way, as yet another member company, id Software, has left the organization which represents the interests of US video game publishers. id’s departure follows those of Activision, Vivendi and LucasArts in recent weeks.

GamePolitics has confirmed through a representative that id, best known for its first-person shooter franchises DOOM and Quake, is no longer a member.

The ESA did not respond to our inquiries, but might be expected to issue a late Friday afternoon press release as it did when it acknowledged LucasArts’ recent exit. We also note that id no longer appears on the member section of the ESA website.

GP: At some point the continuing departure of member companies calls into question the ESA’s ability to survive. The organization has gone from 28 to 24 members over the last few weeks and there are rumors of additional potential exits.

UPDATE: The ESA has confirmed id’s departure. GamePolitics has received this statement from Sr. VP Rich Taylor:

We can confirm that id Software has decided not to renew its membership in the ESA.   We admire their creativity and innovation.  We also respect their decision.

The ESA continues to lead the thriving video and computer game industry.  We are dedicated to protecting intellectual property, preserving First Amendment rights and fostering a beneficial environment for the entire entertainment software industry.

38 comments

gamepoliticsx says:

The ESA has done wonders on the legal fronts for these

online games companies even if they were not directly involved.  If they walk, and they come under fire from litigation, are they going to come running and screaming back to the ESA for help, or are they going to fend their own ground as greenhorns?  I know there has been bitching about the leadership as of late, and there have been some abyssmal choices regarding money and painfully silly things.

frxx says:

I think, and make Rock Band. (They must have had a lot of funding from the rest of MTV for that to go through after all you didn’t know they existed and neither did I till I learned about casino the Harmonix buyout

Portable Document Format says:

That really doesn’t say so much.  I don’t pay much attention to E3, as it’s nothing more than an expo.

I want to think there really is something going on behind closed doors that we don’t know about.

BrandonL337. ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

You didn’t know? I thought it was common knoledge by now considering that they somehow managed to buy Harmonix from Activision, I think, and make Rock Band. (They must have had a lot of funding from the rest of MTV for that to go through after all you didn’t know they existed and neither did I till I learned about the Harmonix buyout)

Anonymous says:

"The ESA ruined E3, they’re ignoring the bad press the gaming industry has been getting lately, and they have no competent staff left.

Good riddance. The ESA WILL fail – they brought it upon themselves."

Learn to read.

Verbinator ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’m very surprised that the ESA has so few members. Trade organizations need a certain critical mass to function and survive. Even the original 28 seems very low. The id withdrawal makes sense, given that Activision is their primary publisher. I doubt whether the change in leadership is the problem. It wouldn’t surprise me to learn that the ship was sinking even under Mr. Lowenstein. Expect to see things scale back even more and even more departures.

gamepolitics says:

right.

ESA has been around since 1994 and represents game publishers.

ECA was founded in 2006 and represents gamers

Completely different animals… not competitors. ECA represents YOU, the game buyer. ESA represents the corporations that sell you the games.

gamepolitics says:

well… it’s important to remember that the ECA and ESA are two different animals… apples & oranges… yin & yang…

The ESA was started to represent the game publishers (i.e., corporate sellers of games) in lobbying, piracy protection, fighting legislation, etc.

The ECA was founded to give the game CONSUMER a voice (i.e., individual gamers)…

They don’t compete and, while they may have some overlapping interests (like not wanting to see game legislation) they also diverge on a number of fronts.

Ghost Coins ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Apologies on my part.  I went back and did some research to back myself up and found the ESA, not the ECA, being the wheelman in the legal battles over video game legislation.

Captain Sensible says:

Thing is, it’s not even the smaller members (MTV have a games division? ) – it’s some of the biggest names in the industry – maybe they know something we don’t?

Ghost Coins ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This is a little disconcerting.  The ESA has done wonders on the legal fronts for these game companies even if they were not directly involved.  If they walk, and they come under fire from litigation, are they going to come running and screaming back to the ESA for help, or are they going to fend their own ground as greenhorns?  I know there has been bitching about the leadership as of late, and there have been some abyssmal choices regarding money and painfully silly things (award names for one), but as members of an organization wouldn’t a "let’s change it from the inside" approach be more effective than a "let’s walk and hope that we can do this on our own" mentality.

"Still thinkin’ of running, Jack?  Think you can outrun the world?  You know, with being the last of anything, by and by, there be none left at all."

Captain Sensible says:

"The ESA continues to lead the thriving video and computer game industry. We are dedicated to protecting intellectual property, preserving First Amendment rights and fostering a beneficial environment for the entire entertainment software industry. "

Leading? I thought the companies did that perfectly well on their own.  Where have they been when companies like Take 2 have been fighting all their own battles?

If this keeps going on at the rate it is, they might want to find a smaller venue for E3.

Anonymous says:

I’m not surprised by this in the least.

Id treats their customers well.

In fact I don’t think Doom 3 even had any DRM and I know their older games sure as hell don’t, and are fully modable to make it anythign you like.

IE, they don’t treat their customers like criminals.

Anonymous says:

What “wonders” were these? Like the time they colluded with the feds to send swat teams after console modders? That’s a “wonder” of sorts I guess.

Anonymous says:

Good riddance. The ESA WILL fail – they brought it upon themselves.

frx says:

I know there has been bitching about the leadership as of late, and there have been some abyssmal choices regarding money and painfully silly things (award names for one), but as casino members of an organization wouldn’t a "let’s change it from the inside" approach be more effective than a "let’s walk and hope that we can do this on our own" mentality.

E. Zachary Knight says:

With all the "wonderful" work the ESA is doing, it is no surprise why everyone is leaving.

Let’s see:

They wasted $5 million in order to change venues for E3. http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/05/19/report-e3-2007039s-santa-monica-venue-cost-esa-5-million

They squabble over names of awards they have no control over. http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/05/17/report-esa-squabbling-game-critics-awards-over-e3-eligibility#comments

They changed the format of E3 without the approval of many of their members.

Of course there is also their failure to build a positive releationship with State and Federal governments.

Yeah, I would leave too.

E. Zachary Knight

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

gzlyrm says:

I know there has been bitching about the leadership as of late, and there have been some abyssmal choices regarding money and painfully silly things (award names for one), but as members of an organization wouldn’t a "let’s change it from the inside" approach be more effective than a "let’s walk and hope betsson that we can do this on our own" mentality.

The_None says:

As for Nolan Bushnell of Atari has recently admired Trusted (yeah, right) Platform Module for "fighting teh piracy" (while in fact destroying not just the PC industry, but also PC’s in general), I don’t think Atari may drop out from ESA (which we all know they have been infected by the RIAA’s mindset, just like Atari seems to be right now….)…..

Alex M. ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Not only that, but with all the press going around and trying to make T2 look bad with the ESA not even batting an eye…I’m not surprised they’re losing faith in it.

Loudspeaker says:

Wow.  So who’s left at ESA?  Sounds like someone needs to post a note on their website: "Last one out turn off the lights".

-Loudspeaker
    "Volume helps to get a point across but sharp teeth are better."

Pixelantes Anonymous says:

And still no word about why is this mass exodus happening.

I wonder how long until ESA is buried. And who will take the role of the RIAA lookalike for game publishers after that?

snoopy2 says:

Gallagher can say all he wants, but I strongly believe it’s due to his crappy leadership and E3 being a joke. ESA’s Board of Directors need to find a way to get out of this horrid contract with this Bush cronie before there’s no one left on the Board.

Btw, I think Atari and Midway will drop out too, but mostly because these guys have done nothing or little and need to start saving costs.

Trevor McGee ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The ESA is starting to sound like a sinking ship.

Off-topic: How do I get the site to remember me so I don’t have to keep inputing my name, e-mail, and website? It use to remember it, but since the upgrade it won’t anymore and I’ve tried signing up to the forums to see if that would work but when I tried signing up the numbers/letters wouldn’t appear on that security image thing, not even after reloading the image repeatedly.