Memorial Day: Remembering Gamers Who Gave Their All

With video games now a well-established component of youth culture, it’s safe to say that many US troops serving in Iraq, Afghanistan and around the world are gamers.

Here at GamePolitics we’ve often reported on the relationship between games and the military, a nexus that is sometimes controversial. But whatever one may think about the politics involved, we can all agree that we wish safe passage for our military personnel and honor those who have given their all.

We’ve made it a practice to report on fallen gamers when we’ve been able to learn about them from personal remembrances shared by friends and family members. We suspect that there are many more who we don’t know about.

Today, Memorial Day in the US, we remember them for their service and their sacrifice.

PICTURED: Eric Hall, George Howell, Randy Pickering, Jon Hicks

knight templar says:

Jack don’t be an arse. What is the problem with making more places that give thought to the fallen?

Stop twisting GP’s words to fit your own views. Or mabey you’re just twisted in how you see things?

Dennis ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

It took me a little thinking before I decided to thrown in my 2 cents.  But for the record….

I retired with an Honorable Discharge from the US Air Force after 22 years on active duty.  During my time I served in no less then 4 major conflicts.  When I finally shuffle off this mortal coil it’d be more than proper to identify me with terms that include:

Biker – Having ridden motorcycles for well over 15 years.

Diver – Having been a certified scuba diver for just short of 20 years.

Gamer – Having played games (board, rpg, etc) for more then 40 years.

Computer Gamer – Having played computer games (and some very early consoles) for over 25 years.

This list also includes things like: Boy Scout, Husband, Lifeguard, and friend.

I consider none of them to reflect negatively on my years of service and have no heartburn if someone describes me using any of those adjectives.  They’re all true.

Lastly, when I do die, it won’t really matter what you call me, will it?

Dennis E. Jones Jr, MSgt USAF, Retired

shaoron says:

all in favor of banning the troll, namely Jack "figuratively gonna blow up the florida bar building because he’s gonna lose his license soon" Thompson say "aye"

Anonymous says:

oh jackie boy, you must have an IQ that goes around the horn its so low.

soldiers, no matter what their innocent pastime, are heroes. so these guys enjoy shooting up CGI soldiers? who cares. they fight for US to have the right to do so as well. they fight for free speech. they fight because they believe that this nation (in its entirety) is worth fighting for.

I cannot BELIEVE that you would be willing to let your anti-gamer agenda into this. I myself do not like GTA. in fact, i try not to play it (just not a huge fan). but i would never dream of degrading a hero because he prefered to play a game that i didn’t enjoy.

Saying that the fact that someone is a gamer degrades their rank is like saying that someone is a vegatarian degrades their rank. neither is relavent to the fact that they are heroes.

you make me sick, and that says a lot. I am going to visit the golden arches the day after you get disbarred.

Paul Farinelli ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Dennis, why exactly is Jack suddenly un-banned? If it’s not too much trouble, I’d like a concrete answer.

Anonymous says:

I actually have to agree with Jack here, for once. I agree that it’s stupid to refer to these people as "gamers" because they are more than that, just as a basketball player who died in Irag is.

However, I certainly disagree with Thompson’s tactic of trying to elevate himself above "gamers" and making the act of playing video games out to be some sort of sick pass time. He does nothing but insult and try to stereotype all "gamers" as being lazy, stupid, crazy, sociopathic, etc….

Henry Windgates says:

To be honest, I actually find Jack Thompson a sick, obnoxious, mean, dictator-like and most of all, a wasted person. Maybe this man should spend some quality time with his family rather than make a fool out of himself and stuffing gamers into the same bag with serial killers and terrorists.

Also, those people like Jack Thompson who enjoys hiding under a guise as a person who wants to protect children from "harmful" stuff such as games and present to the public as "heroes", "saviors" and "crusaders" are actually mean-spirited and sick rather than being helpful and kind.

Namrepus221 says:

And before anyone jumps the gun about the above quote. I don’t care what idiotic reason they might’ve been sent over there, or what conspiracy theory you might subscribe to.

If they are helping a fellow human being regardless of any prejudice, it is a worthwhile endevor worth or merit and acknowledgement.

I should hope that you one day meet one of the family of these brave individuals and spout off your rhetoric about how being called a "gamer" degrades the sacrifice they gave to their country. No court in this country would convict them for what they would do to you sir.

Namrepus221 says:

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse. When a people are used as mere human instruments for firing cannon or thrusting bayonets, in the service and for the selfish purposes of a master, such war degrades a people. A war to protect other human beings against tyrannical injustice; a war to give victory to their own ideas of right and good, and which is their own war, carried on for an honest purpose by their free choice, — is often the means of their regeneration. A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. "

— John Stuart Mill

Anonymous ( User Karma: -1 ) says:

Tis zippy again,mew name is locked and I can not wait to post…..this blasted site has been down a week for me…..

Hate the man,goverment and god but understand the deeper meanign there of and love what remains, my repect and squishy sentiments to all thos that serve, and that wont include JT for his service to socity will be "diffrent" than msot….yyeeessssss.

James Gunn says:

Mr Thompson, that comment disgusts me…

Would you not mention that a soldier was a member of your congregation if one died in Iraq? Yes, you would

The same bloody principle applies here, they were members of the gaming community, thus we pay tribute on a "gaming news site"

I know a brain dead lawyer, dead to empathy, like yourself is finding it hard to understand this simple fact

It shows that gamers are normal, hard working people, and not the selfish, psychotic arseholes destined to burn in the fires of hell that you try to make us look like

Seriously, get over this self-righteous-as-if-your-shit-doesnt-stink, puerile, idiotic, callous aura towards gamers, be a normal human being that doesnt have his head residing up his ass, read a dictionary, and spend some time with your son

Channing ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Whatever your deity of choice, may He or She look out not only for the men and women serving in the military but also for their families and other loved ones who are keeping the home fires burning.

jdecamp says:

Ya know, when I saw this story posted yesterday, I wondered how long it would take Jack to shit up the thread. Sorry to see I was right.

June 4th, Jack. Your career is over. Karma is a bitch, isn’t it?

Baggie ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Oh I see Jack, because we mention they played video games that we’re dimishing their ‘rank’? Because we mentioned their hobby they suddenly can’t be hero’s anymore?

Ghost Coins ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

A toast to all those who have come before us.  To brothers in arms, and lost friends.  Regardless rank, age, or branch of service; today all are remembered as only one thing.  Heroes.

TheEdge ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

God Bless our soldiers,American,Canadian,British,and all the others.

I pray for our troops every night.

Thanks for the support GP,and deepest respects to the families who have lost loved ones to the wars in the Middle East.

KayleL says:

The Candian memorial day is November 11th. EDIT: I am mixing up Memorial Day with Remembrance Day

Even though I believe the government is misusing them, I honour their courage and sacrifice for the sack of their country.

Belgarion89 says:

*Presents Arms*

Say what you will about the war, but you gotta admire the courage it takes to volunteer to be sent over to the Sandbox.  God bless them and their families.

Oh, and GP, the Marines are probably mad at you for calling one of theirs a "soldier."  "Soldier" generally refers to Army personnel; Marines are reffered to as "Marines."  They’re strange like that.

So speak I, some random guy.