Games Are a Guy Thing, Say Researchers

New research says that video games appeal to the male urge to conquer, according to a report in the Daily Mail.

The newspaper cites a new study by Stanford Prof. Allan Reiss (left), published in the Journal of Psychiatric Research

Professor Allan Reiss, who led the research, said women got the hang of the game and understood how to win the most territory, but were not as driven as men…

After analysing the MRI data, the researchers found participants of both sexes showed activation in the brain’s mesocorticolimbic centre, the region typically associated with reward and addiction. Male brains, however, showed much greater activation. The amount increased as they gained more territory.

Reiss commented on his research:

These gender differences might help explain why males are more attracted to, and more likely to become "hooked" on, video games than females. I think it’s fair to say that males tend to be more intrinsically territorial. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out who historically are the conquerors and tyrants of our species.

TBoneTony ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Good on you in mentioning Solitare.

If only these scientists would have used more diverse genres of Videogames to do their full research on instead of just one game.

I for one would also love to mention Chess as it is a board game as well as a Videogame

Or how about Manopoly?

Manopoly is one of the most popular board games around, and it is easy to see why because you can get allot of money in that game.

Anonymous says:

I didnt notice it was the Daily Mail.

WTF is GP doing quoting from that trash?  You can pretty much assume if it’s printed in that it’s made up, and the ‘expert’ either doesn’t exist or was totally misqouted.

Maybe Jack Thomson should apply to be editor.. he’s good at that kind of stuff.

Jack Wessels says:

Hasn’t the internet already proven that girls don’t play video games? And I think MMOs have proven that any girls you may see are really creepy middle-aged men.

I kid, girls can do whatever the hell they want. (Though that middle-aged men part is kind of true)

Unruly ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I love to command, but I only command to conquer. I also tend to conquer in the most efficient way possible, like by capturing enemy buildings in order to use them to my own means. Which I guess changes it to "I like to assimilate" instead "I like to conquer." Really though, who wants to waste a perfectly good factory by destroying it when you can simply make it your own…

SimonBob says:

Just listen to the claptrap that they open the article with: "He might be playing with cutting-edge technology, but when a chap picks up a games console he turns into a caveman."  That is patently false!  Anyone who’s ever seen me play NetHack knows damn well I generally start as either a Barbarian or a Monk!  Sheesh, Daily Mail, do some research — the Caveman is the least-played role on the server.  In all likelihood, a chap who picks up a controller turns into a wizard.

The Mammon Industry

Sora-Chan ( User Karma: 3 ) says:

I wanna call BS that games are a guy thing. I mean I play games like Okami, Half Life 2, Prey, FFXI, Garry’s Mod, Home World 2, Robotech Battlecry, Lumines, .Hack, Metroid series, Zelda series, among others. Does that mean I’m a guy? Heck no, 100% girl here and stuff like this gets me quite pissed. I mean seriously assuming that all female gamers play only Sims and the Wii or the DS is in itself quite annoying.

I personally think all of these researching on this stuff is flawed since they do a these kinds of fact checking within a small group within one area. Instead what they need to do is check this out with a large group in a lot of areas, in different states, or even in other countries. Different areas will get different stats, and larger groups would allow for more accurate testing. And while they are at it, make the larger group testing be spred out over a longer period of time, I say this cause if you choose only one day to do this testing, theres a chance you’ll only get a certian portion of a group, where as if you test a few each week over a few month period, you could get a more variety of people.

To say that women dont have the drive that men have in video games is flawed within it self. History of video games have shown that for a while, when pong and other arcade games first came out, that men dominated for a while, but then women started to get into the games and generally excelled at playing them than men.

Am I saying that women are better players? No I’m not. It differs between games and what not. Yeah there are games out there that appeal more to the differ genders, and personally I would like games that would appeal to both. But i beleive that there has been word that the female gamer population has been growing for a while, same with the female internet population. Its quite saddening to talk to some random person in a IRC, and they act like every gamer/chatter is just another guy. (pisses me off even more when people assume that I chose my name after a certian video game character, and not my actual name in real life. Or that Sora is a purly male name thanks to said character.)

Ok I guess thats enough of ranting I guess, though another point I would like to point out about general scanning for these kinds of thing, is that they generally lump the male and female mental processes together as if they are exactly the same, the fact is, no they arent, what one brain scan would say for a certian area of it that was being stimulated for a male due to one event, would not nessarily mean the same for a female, even if they have the same reaction physically to it and emotion towards said event.

Speaking of games that appealed more to both genders, they should make more games where you can choose your character gender, or games that allows you to create your own characters. Yeah there are games like that, but it seems like the good and interesting ones are sparce, like the Megaman ZX series.

thefremen says:

The Daily Mail makes Fox News looks like a completely unbiased and reliable news agency. One of these days, The Daily Mail will publish something from The Onion or a shopped headline from /b/. Habeeb it.

At any rate, if womminz haet dominating then whuts up with the dominatrix? What about Mary Queen of Scots or Queen Elizabeth or Cleopatra? What about Hillary f’n Clinton? I don’t buy that these historical and modern examples of women schemed to gain power out of some sense of duty to humanity as if they were Bene Gesserit.

I would suggest that this guy’s results were influenced by his test subjects. If you rounded up a bunch of people in the welfare line I wouldn’t be suprised if you only found men who are compensating for percieved shortcomings by dominating others (the pimp psyche) and women who really just don’t try (welfare moms). If you round up doctors and lawyers or even just law students I’m certain you’d get different results.

Anonymous says:

Yes, there are biological differences between men and women, but by far the biggest of these is in terms of the reproductive organs.  Other differences are miniscule and, if a woman’s vagina has little or no impact on her ability to play games I seriously doubt that other aspects of her biology do.  It’s FAR more likely that a person’s upbringing – and not their biology – determines how (or whether) they play games.

Kojiro ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I think a lot of readers are taking the "territory" statements too literally.  You can conquer stages and levels without literally having conquered a territory.  By progressing through the game you are conquering it, piece by piece, stage by stage.  So this goes for all games, including casual games.

In addition, we need to remember that all games are built on this concept and that’s why they work.  This study basically confirmed that video games are made to appeal to your conquering instinct and they are working.

Firebird ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Does everybody really need to argue about this?

Sure, statistically men have dominated the video game market over the past several decades… women (as well as people of all ages, male or female) are making a larger impact as video games become more mainstream.

We cannot say one way or another which one dominates the market, irregardless of how many boys or girls play video games, much less process the thought on the amount of people that never held a controller and might actually enjoy it. But that is an unknown variable…

I am guy living in an area with a low female gamer populous, so seeing one that is actually single is something of a gem in the oasis in the middle of the sahara.

There might truth to our ancient instinctive drives, though. Afterall, what guy hasn’t bought a game that hasn’t had a single smoking hot babe or massacre players to show their superiority?

Now if you would excuse, I need to kill some nazis…

Athest says:

What people really have to remember here is he is not saying it’s "across the board", not everyone is the same. He’s saying that it’s more a of majority, which I can see. Are there women out there who love it as much as men? Sure, no one is disupting that. He’s just saying that men are more so attracted towards it. Is it true or not? Dunno, I didn’t conduct the research, I could see it, but that doesn’t make it fact.

jswanson ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Oh and I DO think there are gender differences that causes the audience gap in video games…

I just don’t think this study is credible. It’s relying on a far too typical and easy answer "men are agressive and like to dominate things" when I think it goes far deeper than that. And I personally take offense to it because I’m one of the most physically passive people I know and I feel like my love of video games is on a much more sophisticated level than mere conquering. It has to do with exploring worlds, becoming a different persona, affecting change, and in many cases they present fun critical thinking challenges.

Video games are also a more "technical" hobby, involving GUI and digital input devices (controllers). Things of that nature tend to attract males more. Also look at the Wii, it’s very popular among females and I think because of the more intuitive, organic nature of the control scheme.

jswanson ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Don’t trust any reports coming from Daily Mail, they sensationalize and warp most things. For example, an emo girl committed suicide and they did a story saying "all emo kids believe they go to The Black Parade when they die".

These types of studies are limited and blurry. They say it’s about winning territory, only a small percentage of games involve property or ownership. Mario is about getting from point A to point B and avoiding obstacles. I think the word "conquer" is a little bit of an overstatement. And while Animal Crossing is popular with girls, it’s audience is also mostly male as well. Actually you could say games like Animal Crossing are MORE "territorial" in nature because it involves advancing and accumulating your property.

Also, what about MMORPGS and other team-based games, where the goal is mutual victory as opposed to domination? What about adventure/exploration games? Not ALL games are about one party "conquering" another. If you want to say that any sort of victory is about conquering, then what about women and dating, shopping, dieting, exercising, reading, cleaning, schoolwork – you could say all of those are about conquering in some sense also.

Much more research is needed before they start coming to conclusions like this.

And the tyrant line is absolutely unneeded. A dig like that would not be tolerated against women coming from a professional. ("It doesn’t take a genius to figure out who historically are the oversensitive and wimps of our species" ??)

Are'el says:

I agree.  People have become too sesitive to anything that might be construed as "unfair" or sexist/racist/biggoted.  Many equality advocates of the 70s and 80s pushed the notion that there was no difference between men and women.  Most don’t think that now, but the uneasiness of talking about differences remains.  Men and women, from their bodies to their brains, are different.  That doesn’t make one gender better or more worthy to pursue activities if they want, and accepting that truth doesn’t make you sexist.

Are'el says:

Some of you are taking the word "territorial" too literally.  The part of the brain that was stimulated was the reward and addiction section.  Most games are about gving the player incremental rewards (character levels, items, completed areas), or about "conquering" game levels to move onto the next chalenge, etc.

jab49 says:

I’m not saying that the research or its claims are correct or on base because I can’t say either way without evidence, but why do people always immediately attack any research or claim as to a seperation of the genders as sexist. Is it so infeasible that there could be some baseline difference between men and women. Nearly every statistic shows a difference between men and women in every skill and measurable intelligence, sometimes women win, sometimes men win, regardless who wins, everyone calls it sexist. Why is it so impossible that maybe women would make better pilots, or men better bakers, or women better biologists, men better engineers? or all of those visa versa, why is it always sexist?

Overcast says:

Depends – if that’s your motivation to play… my wife’s always been a gamer too. Yeah, I know – I’m lucky, eh? Her sister was a gamer too; but not quite to the degree my wife is anyway.

I’m curious though – are those the same reasons there are more male lawyers and politicians? I bet even more so than video gaming.

Omegaman says:

As a few readers already pointed out, this is hardly scientific. The main reason being that they simply observe a slight difference between sexes on a particular brain region. They don’t know what that difference actually means, they don’t know what is causing it or what are the underlying processes governing it.

Science means understanding and being able to explain, not just observing and especially not jumping to conclusions. This is the main reason why studies linking violent videogames to actual violence have little to no weight: they usually just show that playing an exciting game gets people excited, and that’s the same as stating that rain makes things wet.

But catchy titles make the headlines and being on the headlines brings grant money and you can’t do science without money.

I understand why they would create a very simple game for their study: to minimize the number of variables and keep the test conditions as stable as possible, but then again if you want to make conclusions about videogames in general you should analyse different types of games.

Beery says:

Males "tyrannical", "driven" and "more intrinsically territorial"?  The single most tyrannical, driven and territorial British political leader in recent history was its only woman Prime Minister – Margaret Thatcher.

Beery says:

Yeah, suuuure!  I’d like to see the data – I’m sure there are big problems with this study.  More nonsense from sexists in academia.

Jezcentral says:

I like the way he tosses in the word "tyrants", in case the ladies think he is saying that men being conquerors is a positive thing.

Bad brutish territorial men!

Kourosh says:

It is distressing to see quotes like this:

"After analysing the MRI data, the researchers found participants of both sexes showed activation in the brain’s mesocorticolimbic centre, the region typically associated with reward and addiction."

This statement shows a bias as these same brain regions can be involved in learning.  Should we also say that a good school creates addiction? Invoking a word as problematic as "addiction" shows a point of view that automatically implies a negative bias.

The study, from what I understand, was based upon a game they created

"The researchers designed a game involving a vertical line (the “wall”) in the middle of a computer screen. When the game begins, 10 balls appear to the right of the wall and travel left toward the wall. Each time a ball is clicked, it disappears from the screen. If the balls are kept a certain distance from the wall, the wall moves to the right and the player gains territory, or space, on the screen. If a ball hits the wall before it’s clicked, the line moves to the left and the player loses territory on the screen."

This game has little to do with the reality of games today, not to mention the high variety of games that are in the market.  Are we considering Peggle and Solitaire games?  How about Petz games?  What about Second Life where the demographic seems to have more women than men.

Unfortunately, I can not find the original article. If anyone has a link, I’d like to take a look.

I applaud the authors’ attempts at understanding the changes of brain and psyche that occur through gaming, however, I am not ready to believe that either "addiction" nor gender bias exist based on what I’ve seen of the article so far.

Harker says:

This research seems a little limited. They seem to have used a rather arbitary, abstract game design, deliberately centred around the idea of ‘territory’, and then used it to prove that men are more likely to enjoy videogames because they’re more territorial. It also doesn’t actually say whether or not the men claimed to be enjoying the game any more than the women.

The popularity of DS and Wii with those who don’t fit into the traditional gamer demographic seems to contradict this research. Regardless of whether or not it’s because women enjoy ‘conquering’ too, or whether it’s because many of the games released today don’t fit into the ‘conquering’ archetype, the point’s still moot.

Anonymous says:

Don’t tell Jack Thompson! He’ll now suggest that when men play video games, it will make you into a conquer happy tyrant, wanting to expand our territorial reign over all! ­čśŤ

konrad_arflane says:

Not so much a question of newness or hipness as of genre, and to some extent, platform. There is a long, proud tradition of strategy games (which are more often than not on the PC) that deal with territory in one form or another, going back at least to PowerMonger. Or to give examples more people have actually heard of, Civilization and Master of Orion.

King of Fiji ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Yeah I’m what one would call a casual gamer so I’m not down on the new hip young games you wipper snappers now play to get territory in.

oto kirlama says:

Gallagher can araç kiralama say all he wants, but I strongly rent a car believe it’s due to his crappy leadership and E3 being a joke. ESA’s Board of Directors need to find a way to get out rent a car of this horrid contract with this Bush cronie before there’s no one left on the Board.

Btw, I think Atari and Midway will drop out too, but mostly travesti because  these guys have done nothing ttnet vitamin or little and need to start saving costs.

Now I don’t have to get off my ass for the important shit anymore!

Whats next, ordering pizza from Xbox live?

Wait… I think that sounds like a good idea.

But I think voting should MAKE you get off your ass, and see outside or a second while you go vote. I mean, your picking the president of the United States of America for God’s Sake… least you can do is drive down there and punch out a card.

ankaranakliye says:

Baskent Beyoglu nakliyata Hosgeldiniz….
    Evden eve nakliyat olarak ankarada kurulmu┼č bir nakliye firmas─▒y─▒z.Firmam─▒z kuruldugu günden beri kalitede hiç bir zaman taviz vermemi┼čtir.Ankaradan sürekli adana,mersin ,bursa,izmir,istanbul,samsun,trabzon,bodrum,ku┼čadas─▒,denili illerine severler düzenleyerek size en ekonomik tas─▒ma sözü veriyoruz.
    e┼čyalar─▒n─▒z─▒ ilk önce koltuk ve yataklar sitreç naylona sar─▒l─▒l─▒r daha sonra k─▒l─▒flara geçirilip ikinci ambalaj─▒ yap─▒ld─▒ktan sonra destek olarak üçüncü ambalaj temiz battaniyeler sar─▒l─▒r.Diger mobilya ve beyaz e┼čyalar─▒n─▒z gerekenler hava kabarc─▒kl─▒ naylona ve temiz battaniyelere sar─▒l─▒r.Tak─▒m elbiseleriniz Ask─▒l─▒ gardroplarla tas─▒n─▒r.sökülmesi gereken mobilya beyaz e┼čyalar yerlerinden söküldükten sonra diger evinizde gösterdiginiz yerlere mobilyac─▒ ustam─▒z taraf─▒ndan ayni ┼čekilde kurulmas─▒,montaj─▒n─▒ yap─▒yoruz.Sigorta olarak axs oyak sigortas─▒ ile çal─▒┼čmaktay─▒z.Sigortan─▒n kapsama alan─▒da ┼ču ┼čekildedir.Arac─▒n bir evden diger eve varana kadar yolda meydana gelebilecek kaza,yang─▒n,devrilmesi,çal─▒nmas─▒ ile ilgili sigortad─▒r.Yap─▒lan sigorta hiç bir ┼čekilde e┼čyalar─▒n─▒za  meydana gelecek zarar ziyan─▒ ödemez.Yap─▒lan sigorta emtiya sigortas─▒d─▒r.Biz Baskent Beyoglu Nakliyat olarak e┼čyalar─▒n─▒za zarar gelmesi halinde zarar─▒ ödemeyi kabul ediyoruz.Bunuda sözle┼čme ile belgeliyoruz.Baskent beyoglu nakliyat istanbula tas─▒d─▒g─▒ bir sürü kurum ve kurulu┼člar─▒ size referans olarak gösterebilir. Bizi tercih ettiginiz için menmun kalacaks─▒n─▒z ve ailemize dahil olacaks─▒n─▒z.aile nakliyeciniz ankara nakliyat,ankara evden eve nakliyat,ankara nakliyat,istanbul baskent nakliyat;olacakt─▒r.

Ace says:

"It doesn’t take a genius to figure out who historically are the conquerors and tyrants of our species."

No, nor does it take a genius to figure out who, historically speaking ofcourse, are the prostitutes of our race or the ones that stay at home and do the laundry?

Does this tell us anything about the sexes? Using this type of reasoning are women thus more attracted to games where they sell themselves or do housework? I think it depends entirely on the situation and the culture around you whether you get into videogames at all, I think it has little to do with your biology. My girlfriend, as an example, is a complete Civilization nut as well as other RTS "Conquering Tyrant" games. I prefer the games with a lush story or atleast a game where I get to beat things to death with something novel like a wrench or, say, their own limbs.

It’s not that I’m so opposed to the no-brainer conclusion that men are attracted to computer games (dur) but that it’s because their tyrannical urges and need to conquer have something to do with it I think is kinda suspect.

On a slightly seperate note. Am I the only one that cringes when people start saying things like "Men are like X" and "Women are like Y"? To me it sounds the same as saying "Caucasians are like Z" and "Asians are like Q" etc. Just silly stereotyping…like the feminist campaign here in Iceland that goes like this: "Men Rape!". I took a double take on that, then wandered off to fufill my rape quota for the day =p

Sai ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

So all that means is men are more likely to become addicted to video games than women. Women can enjoy them just fine, and they can also easily put them down and not become obsessive completionists or achievement-jockies.

Mal ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Not that would pass the scrutiny of a simple statistical analysis (unless it were the most likely case)…

number per group and the variance of the group is accounted for by stats. 12 per group of a controlled sample can be sufficient. The study also utilised each persons ability (i.e. motor control) to perform the actions required which serves as a within-subject control helping to reduce the variability.

It could just be the findings are the case in the current cohort but if you were to sample 12 Chad’s maybe you could say they prefer Halo :)

Aliasalpha says:

Tis Aliasalpha

Look up where the controller is and cast your eyes downwards, there’ll be a login/register link under the ad for the ECA and above the other ad for the ECA

thefremen says:

Like I said, sample size is insufficient. With that many people participating you could come to conclusions like “Guys named ‘Chad’ prefer Halo 3 to GoW”.

Anonymous ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Tis zippy again

Your missing the point it’s not that females cannot be territorial or dominating it’s just between society and the way it shapes genders and how male and females react it leads to a greater number of males being more likely to be it.

Mew thinks your injecting your PC leaning POV into things, it’s not the females cannot be anything it’s that in general they are not so much X number of something then men are and vice versa becuse ZOMG men and wemon are diffrent.

PS:I am not aruging the study as much as the line of thought, the study seems to have some holes in it.

BTW I hate this place dose not work with broswer spell checking……

Mal ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Unfortunately my respect for GP commentors when the subject is science has dwindled over the past year or so.
    I suggest anyone here who dares comment on the ability of this scientist or the quality of his work actually READ THE PAPER (not just the daily news article, which ironically everyone is so quick to point out as a bad news source).

Those of you saying he should have his PhD removed… Shame on you. It is quite clear your grounding in science is not at a level to comment.

Those of you who are saying ‘but I’m a girl and I like games’ or ‘what about my GF/wife’ or ‘but I am a guy and I dont like to dominate’ are what we call part of a population that is VARIABLE!!!!! an exception that when grouped over a population level study is dwarfed by the ‘norm’ or more consistent response.

For everyones interest there are hundreds of papers and studies showing neurochemical differences between males and females of all species. These are significant differences that do not determine the ‘you or me’ per se but our response to stimuli that MAY affect the way we perceive and hence act upon that or other stimuli. Estrogen and testosterone are steroids that act on the brain, nuff said. The regions he was looking at are critical in reward and addiction as based on a few more hundred papers (actually an area of research I work on).
    It is unfortunate that this study was not of a huge sample size (11 females vs 14 males), but if you read the article you would have noticed the following statement about further studies that should be conducted:
    ‘investigation of subject populations in other age groups and from different cultural backgrounds’
    It takes a lot of time and money to do these tests so testing everyone in the world (whilst it would be nice) is not actually possible.

Lastly, his statement for the press uses terms such as ‘dominate’ and tries to generalise because otherwise half of you would not understand what he is saying (moreso for those who read the daily news). These generalisations are his opinions/views as to what it could mean, the research evidence is the science.
    Sorry for the flame but by insulting the work of a professor without even reading his work or the paper in question (or understanding research science at all) I consider a personal insult. If anyone is actually interested in intellectual debate then don’t hesitate to reply. I can’t give a copy of the paper out due to copyright restrictions but your local university can probably get the article for you (or I can paraphrase it for those who are interested).

sorry for the long post…

TBoneTony ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Hey, how about test this theory on another game, like chess.

Because Chess is also a game about territory and defeating units.

This guy should have not only tergeted Videogames, but also looked at other games like chess in order to see if there is any real relationship between Videogame addiction and Board Game Addiction.

TBoneTony ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“It doesn’t take a genius to figure out who historically are the conquerors and tyrants of our species.”

It also doesn’t take a genious to figure out that all these researches about Videogames in science labs are nothing but a load of bull.

How can one look at the brainwaves of people, and then conclude that they reflect something so trivial.

Isn’t this guy supose to criticize his own results in order to see if they are able to stand up to such scrutiny before Generalizing?

Aliasalpha says:

Haha yes because women aren’t territorial or competitive…

Might be interesting to do a study examing the varying reactions between the genders when idiotic, half arsed, biased generalisations are spouted as not only fact but SCIENTIFICALLY OBTAINED FACTS!

I half agree with Laughing Hyena, this guy should have his PHD confiscated (assuming its actually real & not made up for the story). She implies that this should be the end of the matter but after confiscation I think it should be coated in metal and used to publically spank this bloke while he endlessly recites "I will not abuse the scientific method or present unsubstantiated assumptions as true for the purposes of personal gain"

Anonymous ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Tis zippy,mew name is still locked.

Equal but different comes to mind, face it men and women are slightly different in taste and style thus the media they consume is going to be different, there is nothing wrong with different however, it merely means statistically there is a difference in behavior or thinking, humans are still human and do human things but you can average of groups to statistics.

A good example would be White IQ vrs Black IQ is there a difference “maybe” if most Blacks or Whites were impoverished even then the difference is pointless to note because it’s a well know fact both whites and blacks can be smart and stupid in roughly equal amounts so to further claim one is smarter means you have an agenda, after all there are parts of society that raise their sect up while bashing others down.

When it comes to men and women it’s a well known fact they think differently, the structure of the process is slightly different because after all men and women are different, this is not about ”equality” or any other catch phase to make the genders feel better about their societal standings this is  about the shear fact males and females are “different” than each other.

Let me repeat this is not about feel good everyone is the same BS this is about the rather well known fact males and females are different, “separate but equal” and “we are all human” does not quite work here because males/females have different levels of hormones, raised to different mindsets all of this adds up to becoming slightly different, and I am not saying they cannot either but its more statically sound that they fall to other things first.

Personally I am an odd number in statistics I am a male that dislikes to dominate, I am more the mental lush emotional type..and I’d rather run in traffic than get in a fight too…=0-o=

At this point I kinda don’t give a shit what any of these researchers say. I’m not saying that he’s not right on some of his points, I’m just saying that there is really very little point in having a big old talk about the merrits of his study. Tomorrow there will be a new study thay says he’s completely wrong and the next day we’ll have another study that says he’s spot on…What he’s saying is not going to change or reinforce the censorship crusades of worthless fuckheads like those retards at commonsensemedia or the PTC. All he is saying is that according to his study, most games appeal more to men. And yes…I think all of this research-absolutely all of it-is flawed by one simple error: You forgot the god damn variables. Whatever.

-GRIZZAM PRIME(c)is property of…nobody.

Iliad says:

Thats the stupidest thing ive heard in some time.. I dont know whats more wrong with that string of verbal diarrehea, first off are you actually implying we dont have the cure to aids and cancer because most game developers are men and -oh my god- men like breasts, their are plenty of female characters out there, and CONSIDERING that most developers are men, it would be pretty obvious to assume that they are going to make a game that is fun for them. If, subconciously, that happens to come out as a game that appeals to other men.. well that should be pretty obvious from the start.

Its completely ignorant to say that those games are made only for men, my girlfriend loves halo/cod/re4, just because you dont doesnt mean anything… get off your soap box, you can come back when you have your facts straight.

And eva was NOT useless, she saved leons life on SEVERAL occasions, and was actually a pretty key character plotwise, and developers shouldnt have to give a power role to every female character just to silence the loudmouthed idiots why cry sexism at the drop of a hat.

You seriously need to grow up, you’re raving like a child.

"Oh my god a female character has breasts! get the torches! its misogynistic!"

Of course you dont notice that EVERY video game character who is in a power role, male OR female is either brilliant, strong, or exceptional in SOME way, why cant I complain about them setting an unrealistic standard for men?

Anonymous says:

This is a bunch of crap.

Games today are designed FROM THE GROUND UP to appeal to men. Games like Oni, a game with a heroine that happens to have DDs; or Resident Evil 4, which has the most useless female character I’ve encountered in ages. No wonder we haven’t discovered the cure for AIDs or cancer: We have these guys to thank!

Laughing Hyena says:

Okay, Pr. Reiss, but how does that explain my love for Final Fantasy Tactics and similar games? And the fact that I try to dominate any game I play (card, board, and video games) if it involves other players in a fun setting? They usually hate the fact that I’m not a sore loser if I lose.

You know, winning the most territory?

Oh, that’s right…I’m a girl. This is pure bullshit. Someone take away his P.H.D. please, it sounds like he didn’t deserved it.

Voligne the Archon says:

I HE-MAN I strong, me like tarzan! me king of jungle, me go find woman!

(wanders off to play oblivion and hang the Emperor’s dead corpse from the castle battlements)

In all seriousness, no when I play games I do not feel like Og the Caveman.

chuck says:

Let me get this straight: the concept of "conquest" is a brain-level primitive, directly analogous to a state that is represented in a video game?

I call BS and pseudoscience on this.  This is high-tech phrenology.

Hannah says:

Maybe so, but what about Queen Victoria?  She ruled the largest empire in the world, and her reign was marked by considerable acquisition of territory.

Nekowolf ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

True, but, Bathory wasn’t really a tyrant in the sense a political sense. I don’t think she ruled over anything. I want to say she was a Dutchess or something. If I’m wrong, though, apologies; history wasn’t my big subject.

But I certainly won’t argue she was a tyrant in the home, a brutal madwoman whom be a bringer unimaginable suffering…a real psychobitch

Twin-Skies ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Apparently, he’s never heard of the likes of the Empress Dowager, or Elizabeth Bathory

Are'el says:

It’s not about dividing the sexes, it’s about understanding our differences.  Some people take the philosophy of equality too far and try to assume that men and women must be the same in every way when it comes to the brain.  That simply isn’t true.

Anonymous says:

This is only good enough to show that war games are a guy thing.  There are many different kinds of games that aren’t wholly competitive in structure.

Fadobo ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

My Girlfriend plays a lot of games. But when I think about it, its mainly Animal Crossing, The Sims, Harvest Moon etc. An Ex-Girlfriend of mine was into action-rpgs and racing games though…

Chuma ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I have a few friends who might well dispute these findings, especially where RPGs and MMORPGs are concerned.

I do wonder with these ‘brain activation’ scans just how much weight of evidence should be placed upon them.  Sure they show a responsiveness, but I can’t help but feel that the significance of the quantity is overstated.

King of Fiji ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The only game that comes to mind off the bat in which you win by gaining the most territory would be Pac Man.

And I’ll admit that game totally gets me in a conquering and tyrannicaly hooked mood……I just can’t stop eating those pellets cause its soooooooooo……addictive…..

NighStalker160 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I mean it makes sense when you think about it.  But he didn’t have to go through the whole "tyrant" and "conqueror" rant.  That just makes him sound like he’s making political statements based off his research which is scientifically unethical.