Henry Jenkins, Sandra Day O'Connor Headline Games For Change Festival Next Week

May 29, 2008 -

Every gamer's favorite academic, MIT Professor Henry Jenkins, will be among the presenters at the 5th Annual Games for Change Festival which takes place June 2-4 in New York.

Retired Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor will deliver the festival's closing keynote. Other speakers include Ben Sawyer of the Serious Games Initiative, Dr. James Paul Gee of Arizona State University, Prof. Ian Bogost of Georgia Tech and Heather Chaplin, co-author of Smartbomb.

From the GFC press release:

The only festival... will explore real-world impact, the latest games and funding strategies... Expert practitioners -- academics, activists, non-profits, funders -- will be called in to examine the impact of current games, evaluations planned and the ongoing work to build the field.

You will have a chance to see a variety of new games in development first-hand, and at the Games Expo sponsored by Microsoft, festival-goers can play the latest state-of-the-art games.

Comments

Re: Henry Jenkins, Sandra Day O'Connor Headline Games For

Darn east coasters getting all the sweet stuff.

Ah, well. I guess I'll have to settle for transcripts.. again..

Re: Henry Jenkins, Sandra Day O'Connor Headline Games For

You never quite get the same feel from a transcript though, there really isn't anything like the live speech. I wish some of this stuff would come to Chicago, at least I can drive there.

Re: Henry Jenkins, Sandra Day O'Connor Headline Games For

WHAT?! A former SCOTUS judge is speaking?! Why is this stupid thing in New York, I wish it was in CA so I could go...

Re: Henry Jenkins, Sandra Day O'Connor Headline Games For

Am I the only one tired enough to have read that as "Sarah Connor" before the double-take?

Just me? Carry on, then.

Re: Henry Jenkins, Sandra Day O'Connor Headline Games For

Actually the first thing I thought was, "I wonder if Summer Glau is gonna be there too."

Yeah.

-"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." -Sir Winston Churchill

Re: Henry Jenkins, Sandra Day O'Connor Headline Games For

Myself as well.

“A reasonable man adapts himself to suit his environment. An unreasonable man persists in attempting to adapt his environment to suit himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” George Bernard Shaw

Re: Henry Jenkins, Sandra Day O'Connor Headline Games For

"Real world impact?" Why didn't they ask Thompson to be a speaker? Ya know, get the real story.

Oh that's right, he'll be in Florida getting disbarred.

prh99Personally, I just clicked the three vertical dots the first YouTube recommended one, haven't seen one since. Too bad I can't get rid of Pewdiepie video recommendations that easily.02/01/2015 - 3:19am
prh99Just don't watch the videos, who cares what she does or doesn't do. If her audience likes it so be, if they think she's doing something she shouldn't they'll stop watching.02/01/2015 - 3:14am
Wonderkarpwell we had to christen it some way01/31/2015 - 7:13pm
Wonderkarpsaying otherwise. I've presented a video with cited sources combined with opinion. Youre presenting just your opinion. 01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Wonderkarpits still important information brought up on the original video. and by not saying anything, the casual observer thinks its her footage. there's no "section 107 Fair use" disclaimer. Its as if she's showing star wars and saying "look what I made" without01/31/2015 - 6:43pm