GTA IV Cartoon in The New Yorker

How huge is the cultural impact of the Grand Theft Auto IV launch?

So huge that even a bastion of old-school literacy like The New Yorker paid heed to the GTA IV release with this cartoon from the May 19th issue.

45 comments

1. oto kirlama says:

I’m all for freedom of ttnet vitamin speech and allowing rent a car game makers to put whatever they want in games, but there’s one thing about this app that has me scratching my head.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but from araç kiralama the previous article araba kiralama on this I gathered that players can use Google maps in-game to find the other (real-life?) dealers in their area.  If this is the case, has travesti anyone considered what’s stopping someone from using this app to actually move drugs between hands for reals?

But majority araba kiralama of their outrage araç kiralama stems from what it could DO TO children, not the content itself.  Talk to one of these people and you’ll find they don’t think any books kiralık araba should be banned from children.  Mention American Psycho and they talk about kiralık araç the redeeming value of using imagination to construct a story.  Reading, no matter what the content, is largely viewed as a consequenceless activity for people of any age.  The reason why I mention American Psycho is because of the content itself.  Gaming never has and likely never will have any scenes where someone has sex with a severed head.  Not gonna happen.  Yet despite this, they’ll fight tooth and nail to protect their children from two boys kissing in Bully but whatever they read is harmless… yeah.

The entire arguement is kiralık oto based upon a social normality inflicted by luddites who can’t figure out the controls for Halo so it’s frightening and terrifying and obviously the cause of youth violence on the rise even though, in reality, it’s in decline (which is actually a HUGE suprise given minibüs kiralama the economies status).  In  a perfect world, we would have parents that actually parent.  The idea of sales restrictions on media on oto kiralama any form to accomidate parental unwillingness to get involved with their child’s life is the real problem to me.  Here I am, 32 years old, and being held up at a self-scan rent a car needing to show ID before I can buy a $10 M rated game all because Soccer Momthra can’t be bothered to look at the crap Billy Genericallystupidson does in his free time.  It’s too hard for her, so I have to suffer?

2. Gogus Estetigi says:

Burun Estetiği operasyonları ve Burun Estetiği ameliyatları tüm dün yada olduğu kadar türkiyede de ne çok yapılan Estetik  ameliyatlardır Estetik ameliyatlarda estetik cerrah ın tecrübesi çok önemlidir.

günümüzde Estetik  artık bir ihtiyaç haline gelmektedir artık erkeklerde güzel görünmek adına Burun Estetiği operasyonlarında ve Liposuction ve bu operasyonla beraber Karın germe ameliyatı en sık tercih edilen estetik ameliyatların başında yer almaktadır. Saç ekimi zaten erkeklerde zaten burun estetiği nden sonra 2 sırayı almaktadır insanlarımız tatil e gitmeden önce görünümlerini değiştirip yani estetikameliyatlarını olup öle tatil e çıkıyorlar hatta ve hatta evlilik hazırlığındakiler bile düğünlerinde düğün salonunda göz kamaştırmak adına estetik olmaktan kaçınmıyorlar. Özel Hastaneler
       Klima Servisi

3. estetik says:

However, you can’t ignore the burun estetigi fact that what is happening is a direct result of you being disrespectful to people, especially CEOs, Laywers, Judges etc. You’ve gone along and simply ignored anyone else’s opinions, and have reduced people to tears many times, and I’d wager that you don’t tüp bebek care how negetively you’ve affected people. And you can’t let it go un-noticed that you’ve hurt the people in the world more than 99% of people who play games have. We’ve never broken fax ankara lazer machines as a result of harrassment, we’ve never made people cry in court rooms. We’re the ones who’ve been exposed to violent media, and we’re fine. Why have you done these things?

4. Shadow Darkman Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson says:

FAKE!!!

I AM A LOST SOUL, CONDEMNED TO HAUNT THE DREAMS OF JOHN BRUCE "JACK" THOMPSON UNTIL HIS CRUSADE AGAINST VIDEO GAMES ENDS. SOMEONE, PLEASE! END MY SUFFERING!

5. Rodrigo says:

If ignorance is  bliss, the you are more holier than God himself, dumbass. And the only damage caused by GTA4 was againts yourself. Way to go, idiot.

tic toc tic toc… what it´s that sound?

It´s the countdown until June 4th… Enjoy you disbarrement.

6. Baggie says:

Jack, if that really is Jack, I do feel sorry for you.

I’ve felt annoyance, anger and apathy towards you, I’ve seen you be arrogent, insulting, plain stupid, but never sorry for you. It’s clear that it’s all going downhill for you career wise, and you seem to have lost the ‘pep’ of your previous trolling on this message board. And as much as I dislike how you treat people and your seeming quest against games.

I do honestly feel sorry that this had to happen.

However, you can’t ignore the fact that what is happening is a direct result of you being disrespectful to people, especially CEOs, Laywers, Judges etc. You’ve gone along and simply ignored anyone else’s opinions, and have reduced people to tears many times, and I’d wager that you don’t care how negetively you’ve affected people. And you can’t let it go un-noticed that you’ve hurt the people in the world more than 99% of people who play games have. We’ve never broken fax machines as a result of harrassment, we’ve never made people cry in court rooms. We’re the ones who’ve been exposed to violent media, and we’re fine. Why have you done these things?

It seems clear to me, and probably over millions of people, that tomorrow is completely fair for you, and should have happened long ago. Good luck.

7. GRIZZAM PRIME says:

What can GTA do to families? Entertain them? Oh nooo. Seriously though, I didn’t even know who Jack Thompson was until about two years ago. I had heard about him in some of my gaming mags but dissmissed him as a whiny old woman whose life is so aweful he’s got to force it on everyone else (that is what I think of all those holier than thou freaks). And what do you know, I was dead on! Seriously though, does he really have a family? I’m starting to think they’re made up, after all, I can’t imagine someone being such a selfish piece of garbage that they would ignore their family just to cuss out a bunch of people who play videogames because he has no thumbs and feels jealous(humor). Seriously, do what you think we aren’t and get a life. Practice what you preach, then preach what you practice. I have better things to do than dwell in this site until I pass out.

-GRIZZAM PRIME(c)is property of the U.S. Marine Corp. Wetworks Dept., and also The Incredible Hulk-GRIZZAM PRIME is not to be associated with GRIZZAM 512 or any other GRIZZAM entity under penalty of law, so sayith ZARATHOS.

8. GRIZZAM PRIME says:

Way to insult three year olds. Not cool.

9. Paul Farinelli says:

Yes, we’re the fools, keep telling yourself that Jack, you oafish man-child. Ah, how great it must be to actually delude oneself into thinking they’re somehow always right/superior to their "enemies" (when in reality it’s more of the opposite, at least in your case).

10. Untouchable says:

I don’t get it at all

—————————————————————

IMA FIRIN MAH LASER!!!

11. Duncan says:

Elaine: Come on , We’re two intelligent people here. We can figure this out. Now we got a dog and a cat in an office.

Jerry: It looks like my accountant’s office but there’s no pets working there.

Elaine: The cat is saying " I’ve enjoyed reading your E-mail".

George: Maybe it’s got something to do with that 42 in the corner .

Elaine: It’s a page number.

12. Jack Wessels says:

If anyone around here is ignorant it’s you. For one thing you claim to be a threat to us and the industry we support. This was laughable even before you only had two more days of being an attorney, on a leash, I might add. You’re "facts" are often downright lies, and some that aren’t are merely twisted versions of the truth. Most notably, the famous APA study finding "causation" between video games and violence. If you look very carefully at said study you’ll find no mention of cause, causal, or casuation. Dennis even talked to a representative about it who refuted your claim!

We are not the ignorant ones, you are.

Though I do second kurisu7885’s sceptiscism. The screenname seems identical to the one JT uses, but the lack of slashes seem suspect. Maybe he found a better proxy? Oh well, it doesn’t change what I said.

13. Anonymous says:

Seems fake giving the lack of the / and it isn’t signed.

Regardless, I’ve palyed and own every last GTA game that has come out save for GTA4, my family and myself are just fine.

-kurisu7885

14. Jack Thompson, Attorney says:

I don’t think you fools are aware of the damage GTA can cause to children and their famalies, whatever, ignorance is bliss.

15. The Fake-o Jacko says:

Hmmm… isnt that a little too prestigous for him? Id just leave him at "guy drunk on corner" if he gets disbarred.

16. The fake-o Jack-o says:

In all respects I got more laughs at people believing my comment was real then the comic… I thought I laid the sarcasm and crudness on a bit thick.

17. Logan ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Expect Jack to be here more often when he’s unemployed.  Not that he really works anyway.

18. Paul Farinelli says:

In regards to the cartoon, I guess I get the joke, but it just comes off as very dull. They should get Jack Thompson to do these things, as I’ve never read observations as witty and truly hilarious as his. (that was sarcasm, for those unable to discern things like that. Like Jack Thompson! Zing!)

19. Adrian says:

Elaine: Look at this cartoon in the New Yorker, I don’t get this.

Jerry: I don’t either.

Elaine: And you’re on the fringe of the humor business.

George comes in

George: Hey!

Elaine: Hey! George look at this.

George: That’s cute.

Elaine: You got it?

George: No , never mind.

Jerry: It looks like my accountant’s office but there’s no pets working there.

Elaine: The cat is saying " I’ve enjoyed reading your E-mail".

George: Maybe it’s got something to do with that 42 in the corner.

Elaine: It’s a page number.

George: Well , I can’t crack this one.

Next day at the New Yorker

Mr. Elinoff: So, J. Peterman wants to hire some of our cartoonists to illustrate your catalog?

Elaine: Well we’re hoping that if perhaps that the catalog is a little funnier ,people won’t be so quick to return the clothes ha ha….For example.. I..I really do….Well I love this one.

Elaine shows him the cartoon

Mr. Elinoff: Oh! yeah… That’s a rather clever jab at inter office politics don’t you think.

Elaine: Ahan, Ahan….yeah…Euh but, Why is it that the, that the animals enjoy reading the email?

Mr. Elinoff: Well Miss Benes . Cartoons are like gossamer and one doesn’t dissect gossamer. heh..hemm..

Elaine; Well you don’t have to dissect if you can just tell me. Why this is suppose to be funny?

Mr. Elinoff: Ha! It’s merely a commentary on contemporary mores. (slides the magazine to her)

Elaine: But, what is the comment. (she slides the magazine back to him)

Mr. Elinoff: It’s a slice of life.

Elaine: No it isn’t.

Mr. Elinoff: Pun?

Elaine: I don,t think so.

Mr Elinoff: Vorshtein?

Elaine: That’s not a word…..You have no idea what this means do you?

Mr Elinoff: No.

Elaine: Then why did you print it.

Mr. Elinoff: I liked the kitty.

Elaine: (gets up) You know what? you people should be ashamed of yourself, you know ya doodle a couple of bears at a cocktail party talking about the stock market. You think you’re doing comedy.

Mr. Elinoff: Actually that’s not bad..

Elaine: Oh! really (laughs) well you know….. I have others

20. Orange Soda says:

No, no, no, obviously the old guy is actually the kid’s brother. The guy games so much that it made him prematurely old, just like those Canadian ParticipACTION people said.

21. Kraig B says:

When posting on a private website you have to follow the rules, so if you break the rules I have no problem with you getting cut short.

Also I am no fan of GTA however there are bigger things to be worried about in this world and bigger things to put your time and money to. Hows about you go and donate some time and money for all those poor chines people who’s familys have been destoryed by a natural cause and not something that isnt even real like people being warped by video games.

22. Jim Strathmeyer ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Don’t feed the trolls, kids.

It’s pretty funny when you get an equal mix of people saying they both don’t like and don’t get the comic.

(I also did not like the comic. Its knees were way too pointy.)

23. Jack THompson, Ace Attorney says:

Denise you are censoring me. GTA is a blight on society and must be stopped. But you and your gaming goons cannot see that since you are taking it from the industry… hard.

GP: This is a faux Jack…. Note the misspellings. And Jack is nastier without being crude.

24. Zevorick says:

I think it’s possible Jack Thomspon has realized that the only way he’s going to be able to keep practicing law is through "Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney" so the title suits him well.

25. Orange Soda says:

"Jack THompson, Ace Attorney"

I believe that what we have here is an attempt at satire, and not the genuine article. At least, I don’t recall him having used "Ace Attorney" as his job title in the past.

26. Billy says:

lol, I agree. It reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where they made fun of the New Yorker comics for not making any sense.

Haha, turns out they were right, lol.

27. Deamian says:

The joke is the New Yorker is staffed by people without the slightest bit of knowledge about videogames, and should be retired by now.

That they precisely name the game, and it’s 4th installement, is pretty much a feat for these guys.

28. Belgarion89 says:

It was an old guy who got the game.

———————————

So speak I, some random guy.

29. Anonymous says:

It’s funny because it’s absurd.  An underage purchasing a GTA game for his grandfather, for whom it is the best present ever.  Obviously, in real life the opposite would be true.

Another humoruos point is that he calls the game "Number Four" and uses the unabbreviated title, something characteristic of grandmas and grandpas who come shopping for games at big stores for their grandchildren.

30. L42yB says:

I think the fact that the game is being given by a child is also part of the joke…

But yes, not very funny

— mostly harmless

31. Korrd says:

I get the distinct impression that this cartoon was created by someone as old as The New Yorker itself.

32. Luke J J says:

Not funny on its own, but when looked at as a New Yorker comic about GTAIV, then it is somewhat chuckle worthy.

33. L42yB says:

Heh 🙂

Humour aside, that could seriously be me in 50 years…  (replace GTA IV with GTA XL tho)

— mostly harmless

34. Salen says:

What? I… uh… I have nothing to say about this. I mean, its the New Yorker. This is so disturbingly unexpected. I’m speechless.

Comments are closed.