Gamer Killed in Iraq

Another member of the gamer generation has fallen while serving in Iraq, reports the Military Times.

US Army Specialist Kyle Norris, 22, a member of the 101st Airborne Division, died on May 23 after his vehicle was struck by an IED in Iskandariyah, 30 miles south of Baghdad. From an Associated Press story:

“He wanted to protect his country,” his brother, 27, said. “He wanted to protect freedom for his family and his friends.”

Kyle Norris also loved to spend time with friends, whether it was playing video games or playing a game of paint ball…

“If he was sick and they told him to take it easy for a few days, he wouldn’t sit back,” Norris said. “He wanted to be out there with everyone… He was an awesome brother. He was all about family,” said Michael Norris. “Everybody loved him. No one ever said one bad thing about him.”

Via: Connie Talk

Anonymous says:

Some of the posts I’ve seen on this board absolutely sicken me.  The fact that some people would hide behind the internet and spread their hate speech on a board MEANT for mourning a hero’s sacrifice is absolutely sick and twisted in ways I can’t even convey.  Why cant people hold their trolling on a serious board like this?  It’s just plain disgusting

With that out of the way, my thoughts and prayers go out to the family, he sounds like he was a really good guy

Twin-Skies says:

It’s disgusting how some commenters will try to use this blog post to push their own political ideology. A death is a death – if you don’t like it, post your hate-mongering somewhere else. Leave those paying their respects here in peace.

Anonymous says:

im Muslim but i do feel sorry for every1 the died in the war it doesnt have anything to do with Islam its the way the terrorists are brought up and tricked by others into believe the wrong thing. R.I.P

Anonymous says:

To a fellow service member, I hope you rest in piece, and I’m sure you are still gaming there in Heaven. My prayers are with you.  I can never give enough thanks. You will be missed.

Anonymous says:

Ah… I didn’t get all the way through the post to be honest with you, too long, too vitriolic, and very much in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Anonymous says:

"If you are ignorant then you are just as bad as you can find out all this information I have stated with a search engine online…."

I think this answers your question.  Jake, apparently, believes everything that the All Powerful and Infallible Internet(tm) spews.  I feel sorry for him really.  Must suck to live such an angry, hateful life.

logikil says:

Prayers with his family and friends during this sad time.

And for all the other soldiers out there, gamers or otherwise my Brothers-in-law included, putting there lives on the line, may God or whatever they believe in them watch them and keep them.

Rest in Peace.

Revenchrist says:

The young dead soldiers do not speak.
    Nevertheless, they are heard in the still houses:
    who has not heard them?
    They have a silence that speaks for them at night
    and when the clock counts.
    They say: We were young. We have died.
    Remember us.
    They say: We have done what we could
    but until it is finished it is not done.
    They say: We have given our lives but until it is finished
    no one can know what our lives gave.
    They say: Our deaths are not ours: they are yours,
    they will mean what you make them.
    They say: Whether our lives and our deaths were for
    peace and a new hope or for nothing we cannot say,
    it is you who must say this.
    We leave you our deaths. Give them their meaning.
    We were young, they say. We have died; remember us.

by Archibald MacLeish,

Rest in peace soldier

Kevin Hines says:

I trained with Kyle at Ft. stewart and was in his company spending holidays with him at Jefferys (mutual friend) house in Alabama.  I miss him dearly and wish I could of been there to help…

GdRobotUs says:

I wouldn’t bother Kurisu, Thompson trolled the last Soldier/Gamer death and gave the example, now one idiot has shown that people can be made to react to offensive posts in these threads, other idiots will copy him.

Note to self: Must reset password…

Anonymous says:

To be blunt, I am aboslutely fucking dusgusted with some of you. Instead of mournign the loss of a HUMAN BEING, you decide to spread hate speech. Goddamn Thompson clones.

And before you even try to debate it, you are using the deat hfo a person ot further an agenda, so don’t even try to refute it.

GamerX says:

Thanks for your service brother, may your death not be in vain.  Many of us back home no nothing of the sacrifice we ask of you and your fellow service men and women, you answered a call many of us ignored and for that you should be forever honored.

gamepolitics says:

…it’s not an endorsement of the war. It’s simply a recognition for a member of the gamer generation who gave his all in the service of his country.

Let’s not turn it into a flame war. I’ve deleted the offending posts on both sides of the issue.

Anonymous says:

My prayers are for his family

im not in favor of the war but i still support the troops and hope for safety

Also how long till jacko posts something on these boards about us trying to use thes peoples lives.

Vake Xeacons ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

“There is no greater honor than for he who lays his life down for his friends.”

God speed, soldier.

And GP, as always, thanks for your support.

DavCube ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Cue Thompson entering and claiming us to be worshipping his gaming rather than his honorable service to our country in 3… 2…

Wookiee ( User Karma: 0 ) says:
    Is it like this
    In death’s other kingdom
    Waking alone
    At the hour when we are
    Trembling with tenderness
    Lips that would kiss
    Form prayers to broken stone.
    The eyes are not here
    There are no eyes here
    In this valley of dying stars
    In this hollow valley
    This broken jaw of our lost kingdoms
    In this last of meeting places
    We grope together
    And avoid speech
    Gathered on this beach of the tumid river
    Sightless, unless