GameSpot Previews The Political Machine 2008

June 6, 2008 -

Decent games about the political process are few and far between, but Stardock (Sins of a Solar Empire, Galactic Civilizations II) will release The Political Machine 2008, a turn-based election strategy sim for PC, on June 18th.

And, while real politics is an expensive business, the virtual kind is relatively cheap. The Political Machine 2008 retails for a mere $19.95.

Over at GameSpot, Jon Miller, who played as manager of Barack Obama's simulated campaign, has a detailed preview:

In The Political Machine, one turn breaks down to one week. The amount of stamina your candidate has limits the number of actions you can perform for each turn. Early on, the country is one giant mass of undecided voters, and it's your goal as campaign manager to sway them with lofty campaign promises...as well as blatant negative campaigning...

Of course, no election is complete without fundraising. Each action in the game, even flying from one state to another, will drain your campaign budget. If you have enough stamina, it helps to hit the fundraiser button, especially in wealthy states loyal to your party. Obama cleaned up in California and New York, routinely bringing in more than $200,000 per fundraiser, but he floundered in South Dakota where he raised only $6,000.

And so the campaign season goes... The Political Machine 2008 is not the most complicated strategy game out there, but it's a fun, lighthearted look at American politics.

GP: I enjoyed the last version of the game (2004), and can't wait to get my hands on this one.

Comments

Re: GameSpot Previews The Political Machine 2008

/yeo. Ill buy the game once I play the demo

Does anyone any more complicated, more strategic political games out there??

Re: GameSpot Previews The Political Machine 2008

Fantastic! A game about politics that isn't a fighter!

Re: GameSpot Previews The Political Machine 2008

If only I had money.

Re: GameSpot Previews The Political Machine 2008

I pre-ordered this and they were supposed to have beta testing for all pre-order customers, but sadly, they weren't able to meet the deadline for the betas. I will be getting this the day it is released and playing it. I will also be posting a review as well.

E. Zachary Knight
www.editorialgames.com

Re: GameSpot Previews The Political Machine 2008

I love that they gave Colbert a cameo.

Re: GameSpot Previews The Political Machine 2008

Lame

Re: GameSpot Previews The Political Machine 2008

Looks interesting.  Come to think of it, the elections would be a cool concept for an RTS too.

Re: GameSpot Previews The Political Machine 2008

They had a demo for the 2004 one, so they may do one for this as well.   I really didn't enjoy the 2004 one.  I thought the overall gameplay was pretty good, but lots of little stuff bothered me, that could be fixed easily. The states were just too easy to sway and I should have never been able to win states like wyoming as a democrat.  I think if they opened it up and allowed more customization, it could be a much better sim game.

Re: GameSpot Previews The Political Machine 2008

I liked 2004, so I'll probably wind up getting this.  Heh, to bad I doubt video games will be one of the things you can talk about.

Re: GameSpot Previews The Political Machine 2008

That game looks really cool :)  May have to check it out.  Anyone know if there will be a demo?  I looked on the site but couldn't see anything like that...

-- mostly harmless

mostly harmless

off-topic: pa's take on jt?

Mattsworknamehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Vx4_prmvo09/01/2015 - 3:18am
MattsworknameTotal bisquit talkes about why teh Deus X pre order systems is garbage.09/01/2015 - 3:18am
PHX CorpI'll probaly Start the stream around 8PM Eastern08/31/2015 - 10:09pm
PHX Corpand now it's ready to go for everyone08/31/2015 - 9:35pm
Andrew EisenThat's why I embed the chat box from my Twitch Page. Can't get chat on the YouTube page to work either.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Andrew EisenI do but I haven't seen a way to incorporate viewers to chat without specifically inviting them to the event.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Goth_SkunkThough I'm surprised you'd not be familiar with this, Andrew. Do you not use Google Hangouts when you do S.P.A.C.?08/31/2015 - 8:45pm