GameSpot Previews The Political Machine 2008

June 6, 2008 -

Decent games about the political process are few and far between, but Stardock (Sins of a Solar Empire, Galactic Civilizations II) will release The Political Machine 2008, a turn-based election strategy sim for PC, on June 18th.

And, while real politics is an expensive business, the virtual kind is relatively cheap. The Political Machine 2008 retails for a mere $19.95.

Over at GameSpot, Jon Miller, who played as manager of Barack Obama's simulated campaign, has a detailed preview:

In The Political Machine, one turn breaks down to one week. The amount of stamina your candidate has limits the number of actions you can perform for each turn. Early on, the country is one giant mass of undecided voters, and it's your goal as campaign manager to sway them with lofty campaign promises...as well as blatant negative campaigning...

Of course, no election is complete without fundraising. Each action in the game, even flying from one state to another, will drain your campaign budget. If you have enough stamina, it helps to hit the fundraiser button, especially in wealthy states loyal to your party. Obama cleaned up in California and New York, routinely bringing in more than $200,000 per fundraiser, but he floundered in South Dakota where he raised only $6,000.

And so the campaign season goes... The Political Machine 2008 is not the most complicated strategy game out there, but it's a fun, lighthearted look at American politics.

GP: I enjoyed the last version of the game (2004), and can't wait to get my hands on this one.

Comments

Re: GameSpot Previews The Political Machine 2008

/yeo. Ill buy the game once I play the demo

Does anyone any more complicated, more strategic political games out there??

Re: GameSpot Previews The Political Machine 2008

Fantastic! A game about politics that isn't a fighter!

Re: GameSpot Previews The Political Machine 2008

If only I had money.

Re: GameSpot Previews The Political Machine 2008

I pre-ordered this and they were supposed to have beta testing for all pre-order customers, but sadly, they weren't able to meet the deadline for the betas. I will be getting this the day it is released and playing it. I will also be posting a review as well.

E. Zachary Knight
www.editorialgames.com

Re: GameSpot Previews The Political Machine 2008

I love that they gave Colbert a cameo.

Re: GameSpot Previews The Political Machine 2008

Lame

Re: GameSpot Previews The Political Machine 2008

Looks interesting.  Come to think of it, the elections would be a cool concept for an RTS too.

Re: GameSpot Previews The Political Machine 2008

They had a demo for the 2004 one, so they may do one for this as well.   I really didn't enjoy the 2004 one.  I thought the overall gameplay was pretty good, but lots of little stuff bothered me, that could be fixed easily. The states were just too easy to sway and I should have never been able to win states like wyoming as a democrat.  I think if they opened it up and allowed more customization, it could be a much better sim game.

Re: GameSpot Previews The Political Machine 2008

I liked 2004, so I'll probably wind up getting this.  Heh, to bad I doubt video games will be one of the things you can talk about.

Re: GameSpot Previews The Political Machine 2008

That game looks really cool :)  May have to check it out.  Anyone know if there will be a demo?  I looked on the site but couldn't see anything like that...

-- mostly harmless

mostly harmless

off-topic: pa's take on jt?

Wonderkarpugh. I hate Christmas Shopping. I never know what to get people11/24/2014 - 7:47pm
WonderkarpAgain, Internet, any claim on the internet can be faked, but what if it is real?11/24/2014 - 7:42pm
Papa MidnightAh, but is it.... 2 Legit? 2 Legit to Quit!11/24/2014 - 7:39pm
Wonderkarpbut it looks legit11/24/2014 - 7:36pm
WonderkarpI know I told Andrew I'd stop reading Ralph Retort....but this is big. FTC Getting involved in GamerGate Internet Journalism Ethics. http://theralphretort.com/reports-gamergate-helps-achieve-historic-win-internet-ethics/ Might need confirmation,11/24/2014 - 7:36pm
MaskedPixelantehttps://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thimbleweedpark/thimbleweed-park-a-new-classic-point-and-click-adv/posts Ron Gilbert's LucasArts throwback adventure is funded.11/24/2014 - 6:07pm
WonderkarpSo Madlibs Demands? Fun game11/24/2014 - 6:01pm
Andrew EisenHackers hack Sony Pictures. Threaten to release data if their demands aren't met. Don't actually issue any demands. http://badassdigest.com/2014/11/24/sony-pictures-shut-down-by-hackers/11/24/2014 - 5:52pm
Wonderkarpi would watch that cause amc11/24/2014 - 5:06pm
MaskedPixelanteBreaking Bugs, new series now in development at AMC. A QA tester for a major game company loses his job when a game launches with major bugs and turns to cooking meth to get by.11/24/2014 - 5:03pm
WonderkarpStar Wars Spinoff is Heist Movie Maybe. Retcons Dark Forces http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/24/rumor-2016-star-wars-spin-off-film-is-a-heist-story11/24/2014 - 4:50pm
Wonderkarppersonally, I have no opinion other than the Ferguson Police used ridiculous amounts of force in that situation. Other than that, I wasnt there when it happened, I have zero idea what happened. so I cant say anything.11/24/2014 - 4:43pm
james_fudgeyeah :\11/24/2014 - 4:05pm
WonderkarpOh man. Grand Jury verdict coming from Ferguson11/24/2014 - 3:54pm
Wonderkarpits a nasty "Unable to locate DLC" bug, that affects PS4 owners because you cant redownload DLC without deleting your saved game. And the only way to play the game is to wipe your save. Hours wasted.11/24/2014 - 3:51pm
WonderkarpDay 7 of WWE 2k15's Game Breaking Bugs with no resolution. its as bad as the Halo Servers and Unity's Floating eyes/teeth11/24/2014 - 3:50pm
Wonderkarpgranted, looking for sage advice in youtune comments id like looking for ducks in a desert11/24/2014 - 3:34pm
Wonderkarpoh dearie me, im being harrased. wheres the colbert report when you need it! i need to plug my patreon because everything on the web is litterall11/24/2014 - 3:32pm
MonteEisen, Ya the 3D clone wars started out aweful, but it actually got really good in later seasons. Particularly AFTER Ahsoka grows up a bit and stops being annoying. I Liked how the series ended11/24/2014 - 3:23pm
Andrew EisenI rather liked First Class but while most thought Future Past was pretty good, the trailers made it look awful and I haven't seen it yet. Come to think of it, I've only seen X-Men 1 and 2 and First Class.11/24/2014 - 3:22pm