On Father’s Day, Mass. Town Mourns Soldier Who Was a Dad and a Rock Band Gamer

Sad news comes out of Taunton, Massachusetts this Father’s Day as the Boston Globe reports on funeral services for Army Sgt. Shane Duffy, killed in Iraq:

Duffy, who would have turned 23 next Sunday, was killed June 4 in Tikrit, when his Army unit was attacked by enemy fire. Mourners described him yesterday as a spirited, fearless, caring person who looked forward to raising a family and becoming a firefighter like his father.

Sen. John Kerry (D-MA) spoke at Duffy’s funeral:

Kerry… recounted how Duffy, on [recent] leave, had joined his family to play the video game "Rock Band," one of his favorites. "Shane [played] guitar with the trademark intensity of a man who wanted to be the best in everything he did in life, and at least for that moment he was Eric Clapton," Kerry said. Duffy’s wife played the drums, and he held his rosy-cheeked daughter, Mackenzie, up to the microphone to sing along. "If Shane Duffy was intense, he was also tender," Kerry said.

Sgt. Duffy leaves behind a wife and an infant daughter.

Salty Wound ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I…agree. Sorry, but seeing these articles always makes me feel that we should consider these soldier’s deaths more important and more sad than the non-gamer. And I don’t feel that way. I find Shane Duffy’s death no more and no less saddening as the thousands of other brave men and women that gave their all for a disgusting and misguided war.

Xeli says:

Oh, for the love of… Are these really necessary? I’ne noticed that GP has made a lot of articles about gaming soldiers going RIP, and I can’t help but to wonder what relevance is that to gaming.

Young guys out there, and young guys play video games… A site posting solely about the cases of black soldiers dying in Iraq would makes ome eyebrows rise, so what does this do then? Yes, gaming has become a sub-culture, but some limits please. After all, we can’t even say for sure that these people identified themselves as “gamers”, actually I highly doubt it considering the game in question was Rock Band.

Nothing against giving a final salute to Sgt. Shane Duffy, but in this context it makes me a little unsure how to react… It’s like GP is pointing out these soldiers with its own agenda in the background, and whether that agenda is good or bad, I can’t really approve it.

Even if it is made to point out there are great guys among gamers (which I see as the only possible reason for a gaming news site to post these articles)… Doesn’t it disregard them as individuals, and even more importantly, how does it differ from anti-gaming people pointing out all the possible bad apples?

I’m not saying this is done purely consciously, with the idea of propaganda in mind, but it doesn’t make the site look any more unbiased, just questionable.

Anonymous says:

Thanks for all you have done, Shane.

Rock on with the greats, man.  Stevie Ray Vaugh, Jimi Hendrix, and General Patton will shred with you, Sir.

*salutes on of our fallen*

Linenoise says:

That post is about as bad as what Jack would put up.  The article’s about someone’s father and husband being killed in a pointless war, and the post is an ad for some lame dating site.

Aliasalpha says:

I’m not a moderator here but I feel like cracking out the good old delete-o-matic 2000 for that initial post. First post AND spam, sexboomer sounds like some pill that makes your genitals explode anyway.

Pominator, isn’t it "We don’t take kindly" rather than "we don’t like"?

Wonder when thompson will arrive to show his usual respect for the dead.

DantePD says:

That would be most politicians have never met the deceased. (Or an actual American military member for that matter, Generals not withstanding.)

Rest well brother. We’ll take it from here.

StealthKnight ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

That was great of Senator Kerry to make him out into a human being rather they some "mindless hero wannabe" that I get when other politicians speak of the dead. I feel sorry for his family and hope they will be alright in the future.

DarkTetsuya says:

Shame on you guys for sullying this memorial thread by bringing up that retard hack of a has-been washed up failure of a lawyer, he deserves better than that! (the soldier I mean, Hack Retardson doesn’t deserve squat… except everything he’s got coming in September.)

But we salute ya Shane, hopefully his contributions won’t be for nothing!

Pominator ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Sorry, it was from GTA SA when you are in one of the hick towns in the countryside and there is a shop named LOCALS STORE we dont like yur type round here