Cops Say Teens Were Emulating GTA in Robbery Spree…

Yesterday it was Connecticut State Senator Gayle Slossberg (D) fretting about a non-existent rape scene in GTA IV.

Today, police in Nassau County, New York allege that six teenagers charged with robbing a man at a supermarket were emulating Grand Theft Auto:

Nassau County police cops have arrested six teens for robbing a man at a supermarket… The police add the teens arrested were emualting [sic] the characters from the video game Grand Theft Auto.

GP: The kid has a Red Hot Chili Peppers t-shirt on. Maybe he was imitating them…

Thanks to GamePolitics correspondent Colin "Jabrwock" McInnes for the heads-up.

UPDATE: Newsday has more on the GTA angle, including a quote from Nassau County P.D. Det. Sgt. Anthony Repalone:

UPDATE: According to the NY Post, the kids were specifically imitating GTA IV protagonist Nico Bellic. The paper quotes Nassau County Police Detective Lt. Raymond Cote:

They decided they were going to go out to commit robberies and emulate the [lead] character Nico Belic [sic] in the particularly violent video game Grand Theft Auto… These teens have difficulty separating fact from fiction, fantasy from reality . . . It was quite alarming… They were bored and they decided this was a good idea.

The Post adds:

Police would not say specifically how they knew that the teens crimes were motivated by Grand Theft Auto, and not by some other motive. They said they discovered it during their investigation.

109 comments

1. Anonymous says:

well i guess that this guy has some sort of a point.

if this was put into different context it would have made a tad bit more sense.

2. mogbert says:

I think you just had to register, it was Thirds you had to get special permission for. But it’s been a while since I’ve read it.

3. mogbert says:

I suppose I should have used a sarcasm tag. I thought I was being pretty obvious with number 4 and number 6. I’m actually a bit disappointed that this Anon couldn’t tell.

4. Anonymous says:

Those kids obviously thought the store clerk and the old woman were terrorists. Cigarettes are bad according to our government, so the kids were destroying a bad thing (with fire!) and ridding the world of terrorists.  They also were reminding someone that their vehicle is not eco-friendly and it should be replaced promptly.

God bless those patriots!

5. Ace ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’m in favor of this. Though my first thoughts were of Ender’s game as well as Starship troopers!
    "Why’d you join the army?"
    "I want to have a baby, and I need a citizenship!"

I’d like to see something similar "explored" for citizenship, got loads of people that take their nation and their fellow man for granted and exploit them.

But I’m just wondering about stuff here, I haven’t formed any arguements or opinions on this so don’t take me too seriously ^^

6. Anonymous says:

Actually, in Vice City, you coud rob any store, and one of them was a drugstore/supermarket.

7. Anonymous says:

Sounds kinda like Ender’s Game.

Thats a book, not an actual game, and parents have to be liscensed to have kids in the book.

It’s a really good book

8. Anonymous says:

i hope you know that 6 out of your 6 points are complete bullshit.

#1: teen violence has been around for ages.

#2: you never have to "rob" a store, persay, you have to ruffle up the store keeper, by breaking the window/ you never steal cigs

#3: how can they be such straight-laced, cristian, honor roll kids if they were even playing GTAIV, or have no history in any sort of violence or anger issues

#4: this is complete bullshit. how could they possible be holding, a plasma tv, a generator and a 360, while two played the game, and yet at the same time rob and attack?

#5: uh, yeah it does. gangs do this and many, many more violent, illegal things

#6: youre never rewarded for killing or raping prostitutes.

you seem to be one religious nut-job trying to keep the world safe from any opposing thoughts.

9. Anonymous says:

I really hope for the love of god that this effects nothing in how these kids are handled as criminals. Or heck put them into a really nice mental institution for a few years then if their grasp on reality is so light that they felt they should go try and do what they did in the game.

Seriously this is right up there with sewing yourself a superman cape and leaping of a roof expecting to fly. Is it the comic’s fault the kid became road pizza? No. Not in the slightest. It’s his parents or hey, maybe even his own fault that he was so delusional as to think he could pull that off.

10. GuiguiBob80 says:

Teens like to have fun, they feel invulnerable and like to challenge authority. I’d be inclined to say that even if games like GTA hadn’t evisted crime might have happened nonetheless since crime and vandalism have existed prior to GTA.

11. Arad says:

Gordon Freeman is a successful, intelligent physicist with several degrees and a well-paying job.

Nico Bellic is a ~daaaangerous minority~ who wants to ruin the American (*cough*) way of life with his foreign ways!

Clearly Gordon Freeman is whacking people with his crowbar to measure the proper amount of force per square inch is required to test the structural integrity of various materials, not to mention other perfectly legitimate scientific experiments.

Nico Bellic is a ~daaaangerous minority~ who uses his crow bar to deconstruct everything our forefathers built!

((Disclaimer:  This post was written with heavy doses of sarcasm.  Take seriously at your own risk. >_>))

12. JustChris says:

I think the cops are more obsessed with the game than the teens are. They see a robbery and all of a sudden -click- wow just like GTA. I know those are great games, but the cops need to put down the controller a bit more 😉

13. StealthKnight says:

Republican’s made them do it! Them and their wide stances in bathroom stalls! {no offense to old school republicans}

14. StealthKnight says:

Psychiatry is the practice of using psychology to determan the problem and medicen to cure it. That would be scarier if a cop could subscribe medicene to someone.  Then again though, their are some weirdo’s in psychology that spew crap from their mouths. I had one one of those weirdo’s and I probably had the skills to compete aginst him and i’m a trainne.

15. Jabrwock says:

Did these kids state their reasoning was only due to mimicking of GTA?

Nope, the cops just assumed based on "weapons and tactics", and "certain statements" made by the kids.

— If your wiimote goes snicker-snack, check your wrist-strap…

16. Anonymous ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

In hitsory class, I learned that Jack the Ripper used to play the original GTA all the time before he went on a killing spree.

I also learned that Hitler loved playing the Medal of Honor series before he started Wold War II.

Seriously, crime is crime and it has been that way since the beginning of time.

I miss the days where people had common sense.

17. JustChris says:

Yeah, we let certain games get too much misdirected blame.

When a chainsaw attack happens, don’t blame GTA. Leave it to Gears of War.

Kill someone by electrocution and water? That’s Bioshock.

If a bunch of terrorists are plotting a new suicide attack, that’s not Counterstrike’s fault anymore. Bomberman is the culprit.

18. Anonymous says:

Attention one and all George Carlin’s "Seven Words You Can’t Say on Television" has been extended to Nine:

Bad Parenting

19. JustChris says:

This follows the old case of "Post hoc ergo propter hoc" (look it up in Wikipedia) and have largely made a connection to something in recently popular media, just because it’s THAT. Popular and in the media.

Congrats, Nassau Police force. You will receive a Cobalt Flux pad for your favorite game "Jump Jump to Conclusions". Shipping is not complimentary.

20. Anonymous says:

Wait hold up for one bat moment….

What is the first game to have a crowbar and a bat in them.   It wasnt GTA… Correct me if im wrong….

21. Cheater87 says:

How long till Jack, the PTA, politicans and soccer moms will cry for video game censorship and bannings????

22. Blame the Game says:

Now, hold on…someone clear this up.  Are they claiming that the WERE mimicking something from GTA or that they were ALLEGEDLY mimicking something.  Without the allegedly, they’re stating it as true fact.  Did these kids state their reasoning was only due to mimicking of GTA?  Did they even do any statement at all?  If not, then guess what…thats libel.

If I was Rockstar, every time someone did this, I’d sue the shit out of them.  R* would probably win, too.

23. SimonBob says:

Let’s not forget that RHCP’s video for Californication featured a GTA-like sandbox game setting.  Clearly, videogames have been plotting to cause this crime for years.  Thank goodness the Nassau five-o were there to blow the roof off this conspiracy immediately after the spree took place!

The Mammon Industry

24. Ken ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I find that funny because not one of the main chars in the GTA series ever robbed a supermarket. They robbed banks and other places.

25. Anonymous says:

"Give a man with a High School education a gun and a really fast car, turn him into a cop, and suddenly he  has advanced knowledge in the field of Psychiatry."

Psychology.

26. Tubatic ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

crowbar?

Why can’t we blame Gordon Freeman for this one too? Or are we waiting for a kid to accidentally open a portal to a hostile alien race . . .

27. Anonymous says:

I call Bullshit! Even if the teens in question did claim that GTA "make them do it", they probably just used it as an excuse.

————————————————————————————————————————————–

Teen 1: Yay! Lets blame GTA for our robbery. Seeing as some idiots believe that until we reach some magically arbitrary age limit, we have no mind of our own, can’t think for ourselves and aren’t responsible for our own actions, we might have a chance of getting off and having the focus of our crime target something else other then ourselves.

Teen 2: Yep, sounds great.

Teen 3: I’m in.

Teen 4: Me too.

Later on when being questioned by police:

Teens 1 talks to Officer: Officer, GTA made us do it. It warped our fragile little minds.

Officer: I knew it. It’s obvious that kids are incapable of doing bad things and it couldn’t be how their parents raised them as all parents are perfect. It’s those damn evil video games i tell ya, i knew it.

28. jadedcritic says:

You ever wonder if we as a society should license people to have kids?  Like a driver’s license, but harder to pass.  Everybody’s sterile at birth and when couples decide they want to have kids, they make an appointment at the examiner.  "But we love each other!"  "Tough (beep), he’s hooked on smack and you’re waiting tables at Denny’s for 3.50 an hour.  Come back when you can provide for the kid."

29. jadedcritic says:

They’re just trying to frame things in terms they can understand.  As a culture, we have difficulty understanding the idea that kids can turn out bad.  Kids aren’t flawed!  They’re perfect little angels!  Put simply, for the average everyday person, it’s easier to understand that kids are angels and GTA made them do it, then…well…maybe I’m gonna be a little bit crass here.  These kids were not perfect little angels, they were most likely /beep/heads.  They were /beep/heads before GTA, and they’ll almost certainly be /beep/heads afterward; but at least the parents can go right on thinking they didn’t do anything wrong.

30. mogbert says:

See, there are a number of things that prove that GTAIV was responsible for this.

1: Before GTAIV, there was no teen violence.

2: They are obviously emulating that one mission where you have to rob a man at a supermarket, steal cigs from an old lady and attack a van.

3: Before GTAIV, these kids were all strait laced, Christian kids, on the Honor Roll, and interested in becoming missionaries.

4: While the six were walking down the street, one was carrying a generator, two were holding up a plasma TV, one was carrying an Xbox 360, and the last two were playing GTAIV deathmatch.

5: This obviously doesn’t fit in with normal gang violence.

6: The crowbar and the baseball bat are weapons you get points for using to rape and kill prostitutes in one of the GTAIV levels.

31. Gaffit says:

Astounding…

32. DavCube ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’d like to know exactly what allowed the officers to MAKE that statement in the first place, aside from the precence of the baseball bat and crowbar. They could blame that on ANYTHING. Especially just, you know, the availability of using them as a weapon. I think the teens can discern that baseball bats can hurt if swung at someone. They don’t need GTA to tell them that.

33. shamrock says:

LOL! Sadly I once had a similar haircut. The stylist asked me beforehand…did I really want to do it? Not so great the first couple days at school…

34. Artifex says:

Actually, I was about to comment that their hairstyles look an awful lot like that ‘punk’ trio of hitmen in the movie "Smokin’ Aces" (especially the character played by Kevin Durand)…just sayin’

Also, is anyone else creeped out by the police saying "We got certain admissions (from the boys)." ? Sounds an awful lot like "we pressured them into saying just what we wanted." to me.

Honestly, has the very posibility that this might just be a case of stupid angsty teenagers doing stupid angsty teenager criminal acts? Do we really NEED to blame it on something at all?

35. desperad0 says:

Thanks good job;

Btw, I think Atari and Midway will drop out too, but mostly travesti because  these guys have done nothing travesti or little and need to start saving costs. and dizi izle

Now I don’t have to get off my ass for the important shit anymore!

Whats next, ordering pizza from Xbox live?

Wait… I think that sounds like a good idea.

But I think voting should MAKE you get off your ass, and see outside or a second while you go vote. I mean, your picking the president of the United States of America for God’s Sake… least you can do is drive down there and punch out a card.

36. Tyler Baumbarger says:

Its been a little while since I played GTAIV, and I’m relatively sure that there is no point where you get a crowbar. I’m also pretty sure you can’t hold random passerbys up.

I just have one question about this whole thing. Why the hell are the police providing them with an alibi? When you prosecute someone, you try to prove it was their intent, not that they were inspired by a video game.

37. black manta says:

Yeah.  Yahoo!News reported on it as well.  Sounds like the MSM is eating this one up.  Cue JT appearance in 3…2…1…

You know though, if GTA didn’t exist, what else would these kids have used to inspire their deliquency?  What else could the police have blamed it on?  From all accounts, these kids are just your typical neighborhood miscreants.  It’s been said before, but it bears repeating: if a kid is messed-up to begin with, anything could be a trigger to violent and antisocial behavior.  If it wasn’t GTA, it would have been a movie, song or TV show.  Take your pick of the choices.  The true cause once again points to broken homes and bad/ineffectual parenting.

38. Anonymous says:

Seems to me the Police are being unneccesarily vague about this, I can’t help but be suspicious.

39. Anonymous says:

Question?  What were 14 and 15 year olds doing on the streets at 11:30 at night?  At that age, my parents would have given me the beating of my life for hanging out on the streets and not being at home at that time.  Even when I got my license at 16 I had a 11p curfew.  It didn’t get kicked up another 2 hours until the 2nd half of my 17yo year.

40. Conejo says:

why does "we got certain admissions" sound like "we threatened and coerced these kids into saying what we wanted to hear"?

the Inquisition got "certain admissions" too.

Here are we — and yonder yawns the universe.

41. mlucky says:

MSNBC just did a report on this with video from san andreas and hot coffee playing on screen. the sensationalist media strikes again.

42. lordofthebar says:

"Police say later that night they were armed with bats and a crowbar and were walking down Stewrt Ave. when they robbed a woman of cigarettes and struck a passing van with a bat."

To me, that actually sounds more like A Clockwork Orange. Maybe they should blame Stanley Kubrick.

43. Twin-Skies ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

…or the abrupt cardboard box crunch of the late 90s after MGS came out.

44. vasudean says:

You know what, that’s the biggest problem with society today, too many people are quick to blame video games for our problems, but it’s apparently never the parent’s or the kids fault when the reasons are very obvious.  Also, some of the police officers in the world have actually been proven to be corrupted from taking bribes, to actually breaking the law themselves, so unless the person has a good background, I just ignore the police statements until I get the facts straight.  That being said, I would like to get a news flash out to all the Jack Thompsons, mass media heads(with the exception of a few), and the soccor moms of the world.  VIDEO GAMES ARE A FORM OF ENTERTAINMENT, NOTHING ELSE.  THE DAY THAT IT ACTUALLY DOES IS THE DAY I MAGICALLY GROW A SIXTH TOE.

45. GRIZZAM PRIME says:

Wow. Your town has standards? Shit dude, that just blows my friggin’ mind…

-If shit and bricks were candy and tits, we’d all be livin’ large. For information on games and psychology, look up: Jonathan Freedman(2002)Block and Crain(2007)Grand Theft Childhood, a book by Harvard Medical School researchers Larry Kutner and Cheryl Olson

46. GRIZZAM PRIME says:

Violence also existed before movies, music, television, radio, comics, books in general, dancing, the written alphabet, and civilization. PEOPLE ARE THE PROBLEM!!!!!

-If shit and bricks were candy and tits, we’d all be livin’ large. For information on games and psychology, look up: Jonathan Freedman(2002)Block & Crain(2007)Grand Theft Childhood, by Harvard Medical School researchers Larry Kutner and Cheryl Olson

47. Cadia says:

and how did they link this to a game?.. there all disillusional.. i dont recall being able to rob shops since GTA4 you cant rob granny’s and i dont remember anyone putting on masks and a crobar in GTA

48. Ironside138 says:

Scapegoat loving media at it best  "blame something else besides the childs up bringing, parents, peers, music, videos, CHOICES, influences, school…Other stuff

–Nothing is True and Everything is permitted

49. Anonymous says:

If those cops were working in my town, they’d be out of a job in under ten minutes.  If they cant tell the kid’s (read: soon-to-be-in-prisoners) motive, beyond GTA, they really are a pack of morons.  I normally give cops the benefit of the doubt on ‘education’ and ‘common sense’.

The kids doing this, can think anything they want.  The end result is battery charges in at least two instnaces with a deadly weapon (er….weapons).  Those are felony charges.  They want to start their life in the slammer because they are to stupid to think up something then "we saw it in GTA and thought it was the morally correct and intelligent thing to do.".

50. Pinworm says:

Makes sense, I mean after the great Jay-walking catastrophe shortly after the release of Frogger.

51. Aliasalpha says:

So does this game blame thing cover everything dodgy or just violent crimes? For example that new england patriots coach who "misinterpreted the rules", was he cheating or was he influenced by the cheats in madden?

52. Ravenhawk ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Cops, during questioning: So… You kids… Like video games?

Kid: What? We just wanted money and kicks!

Cops: Are you SURE? You haven’t been playing anything VIOLENT

Kid: Well, I got halo..

Cop, interrupting: How about Grand Theft Auto

Kid, catching on: Oh, uh… Yes! Yes, lots of grand theft auto. It makes me want to run around and beat things! I love beating up hookers! Also, old ladies when I can’t find any.

53. Anonymous says:

so they were emulating GTAIV by going on a crime spree?  whatever,  they might as well blame it on the movie "Heat"

54. GRIZZAM PRIME says:

Anyone over the age of about twelve has no business imitating anything. Where are these bitches parents? Why didn’t they teach them not to be little shitheads?

55. Ben says:

Its also very annoying that these fuck-tards still can’t get the name of the game right. Its just Gta 4, there’s no Liberty City in it.

The article also states that you get points for murder and other crimes in the game. While you do get money, its not the same thing as points seeing as how their is no high score. There’s also a ranking in the pause screen, but I highly doubt thats going to give someone incentive to murder.

Besides, One was 18, isn’t that old enough to were people should realize that adults his age don’t emulate everything they see?

56. GRIZZAM PRIME says:

ATTENTION DUMBASSES: READ MY SIG!

57. AB says:

well its officall now the term would be used in situation when teens and adult commit a crime

the word is "blame the game"

not durgs nor sociaty not even peers and films.

blame the game.

58. GRIZZAM PRIME says:

Actually, the kids may very well have been emulating GTA. You can emulate anything if you CHOOSE to do so. Nothing made these little bitches do anything.

59. Mune says:

Certain admissions? I have to call BS on that one. "Hey kid, have you played GTA4 recently?"

also, it says they were charges as adults. If they are adults, that should excempt them from this argument that "GTA4 is bad for kids"

Teenage crimes and violence has been happening for a long time before GTA came out. GTA was inspired by crime and violence in the real world, not vice versa.

If these kids were smart, they would claim that it was inspired by a lack of video games. That if only they had some sort of way to simulate the rush of violence and petty crimes without actually doing it…

60. Anonymous says:

Oh christ, from reading this, I can tell someone paid them, I mean, sersiously, just look at it. It just looks so god damn obvious.

61. Anonymous says:

if i get shot by the cops and die ill be all right i respawn at the hosptail like nothing happened.what fucking dumb fucks.

62. GRIZZAM PRIME says:

AHA! It’s wussy crap like that that leads to violence! It doesn’t provide a proper outlet for aggression!!!!

63. Darth_Toxic says:

…and like in the late 90’s when people blamed Columbine on Rammstein, KMFDM and Marilyn Manson (the latter of the three the boys didn’t even listen to). Even then, the boys didn’t *blame* any of them, people just jumped to conclusions.

I find it interesting that after the VT massacre, Cho, who was obsessed with Collective Soul (a really soft and upbeat band) to the point where it was just absurd, nobody thought to say anything about it.

64. GRIZZAM PRIME says:

Do videogames makes kids evil, or do they not not make kids evil? Or do they make kids super duper evil?

65. Anonymous says:

Anyone else think that poll at the bottom of the story is biased? 2 out of the 3 options are essentially "hurr vidya games are bad hurr" and the way the common sense option is worded in such a way that it makes us sound like we’re still in the wrong. Why can’t we get a simple yes/no poll these days that doesn’t attempt to twist our words?

P.S Probably a bad idea to put a poll like that on the internet (our playground), at last count smart people were leading 118 to 20

66. Anomalous ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Silly cops!

They were using baseball bats and crowbars!

They were clearly imitating the Scout from Team Fortress 2, and Gordon Freeman from Half Life, both of them created by VALVe!

67. King of Fiji ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

As a Long Islander myself I know that there are only two things that are from Nassau County.

A community college that has homicide go on all the time and idiot cops who blame Grand Theft Auto for crime.

And if they were emulating GTA then wouldn’t they have known about the crime when that stupid star meter went off?

68. Sai says:

"Certain admissions"? What does that mean? That they didn’t outright say that but the officer decided to derive such from their statements?

69. Golden Yak says:

"Certain admissions?"

They probably decided they could get away with a lighter punishment if they blamed a video game. Not like young people don’t know about all the controversy surrounding them these days.

70. Anonymous says:

I gotta wonder if "certain admissions" really means "We asked if they had ever played any GTA game and they said yes."?

Honestly it just doesn’t make sense. Why is it always emulating something from a game? It’s not like crimes, shootings, etc. never happened before there were videogames. And in most (if not all) cases any connection to videogames is tenuous at best. Why does that fact always seem to be omitted?

71. DarkTetsuya says:

Oh that’s weird, it just showed up …. I wonder what was causing it? (I did have a popup-blocker installed and turned on, I didn’t know it’d have any adverse effects being on here, so I just disabled it.)

72. Jabrwock says:

"It was determined that they were emulating the character in that Grand Theft Auto game, going on a crime spree" using weapons and tactics inspired by the controversial video game, said Det. Sgt. Anthony Repalone, a Nassau police spokesman.

OMG, GTA has bats, so clearly there is a connection! And OMG! You can walk down the street in GTA! Gasp!

— If your wiimote goes snicker-snack, check your wrist-strap…

73. Anonymous says:

Especially with certain un-named idiots giving them the idea that this is an easy way to avoid taking responsiblity for their own actions.

I seem to recall that Charles Manson blamed the Beatles for his killing spree…

74. Arad ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Personal accountability is soooo last century.  Now I can do what I want so long as there’s a convenient scape-goat I can blame!

75. LAG (Law Abiding Gamer) ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I think that the story should actually read (underlined text is my edit):

"The police add that they believe that the teens arrested were emualting [sic] the characters from the video game Grand Theft Auto, which they have never played in their lives, but that they never the less feel qualified to make the comparison, and this newspaper is too chickenshite to point out the hypocricy of the officers’ comment."

We seem to become (more of) a nation of sheep every day, and I find it more and more disturbing that the majority of the "media" continues to suck at the teat of ignorance.

76. Anonymous says:

Hrmmmm so the kids that did that in my neighbourhood in the 80’s…they must have been influenced by GTA as well!!!

77. Xlorep DarkHelm says:

I’m in FF3, and I see a comment box.

"I’m not responcabel fer my comuter’s spleling errnors." — Xlorep DarkHelm

78. DarkTetsuya says:

Huh, why doesn’t the comment box show up in Firefox 3 anymore? I had to fire up IE so I could post this…

(I’d submit a ‘stupid award’ to my favorite podcast but, we already did a GTA4-themed one a few weeks back. :P)

79. Kincyr says:

I wonder how much JT paid for that statement.
    and since when could you rob someone of cigarettes in GTA?

岩「…Ace beats Jack」

80. Alteffor says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but you can’t really rob people without killing them in GTA. If you hold a baseball bat or gun, they’ll stop for a second, turn, then flee. Thats not the same thing that went on. It really bothers me that video games as a medium come under more scrutiny than anything else, but the people criticizing them actually know nothing about them.

81. SomeChristianKid says:

That is some grade A bull shit, not sure if the teens are making that sad excuse that a game made them do it or if the police are too fucking retarded to actually believe that the kids just wanted some fun or money and that it may be caused by a social or home problem

82. Anonymous says:

‘It was determined that they were emulating the character in that Grand Theft Auto game, going on a crime spree…  We got certain admissions.

Certain admissions… Why does that set my ‘targetted questioning’ alarm off?

Comments are closed.